Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 2[ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

DGS2 in Famitsu 5/23: Case 2 details, new artTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

Image Image

You can always tell a new AA game is around the corner when Famitsu starts getting monthly scoops!

This week's issue will feature new details on the game's (presumably) second case, a fatal poisoning in Souseki's London flat. We also get a look at the victim and a new witness, both of whom look mighty familiar (even if they only briefly appeared in DGS1); the yellow-jacketed man's name is given as "Decago Meterman". (Or Miteld Meterman, the site article and preview scan seem to differ. It's Decago - Ash pointed out a footnote on the article saying the name had been updated by Capcom after they went to press. "Decago" is a portmanteau of "dekai" (big) and "ago" (chin), so... yeah.) The issue also has new art of Susato, Iris, and Barok.

Layton's Mystery Journey will also be featured in the issue.

Details to come!

Update: The issue is out! Here's a detailed shot of Decago's art/screenshots:

And full scans (sorry they're a touch smaller than normal ATM):

Spoiler: Scans

Bullet points:

• The victim of this case was a fellow lodger staying in the Garridebs' apartment like Souseki. The two were known to get into arguments over the finer points of Shakespeare, and Souseki made the tea that seems to have poisoned the victim, so when Souseki found his body, he was arrested.
  • Souseki insists the place is cursed, which is part of what gets Holmes to take the case.
  • Dusting for fingerprints is in the game by way of some of Holmes' inventions.
  • Decago is one of the witnesses in the trial. Ryuunosuke spots him during the investigation trying to peer into the flat (which is impressive given the windows are bricked up.
  • At the AA 15th anniversary concert, a video showing motion capture for a tap-dancing character was shown. That video will be released tonight.
  • Lastly, I don't want to read too much into this, but the article mentions that this case takes place "before Souseki returns to Japan". Between that statement and the fact all the images of the outside show it to still be winter, it almost sounds like this case actually slots in between DGS1-4 and DGS1-5 rather than taking place months later after Susato (and Souseki) return to London. But this isn't clear yet.

The article on Layton's Mystery Journey isn't tremendously detailed, but a few things from it:
  • The titular "millionaire" is actually seven different people, at least three of whom we've seen in trailers (the large dowager in the pink dress, the festival organizer in blue, and the man in the yellow jacket and bowler cap. Their names are given as Scola Garfflesia, Ridley Flemens, and Crack Gospec.
  • Though the game starts with a relatively small incident, Catri's investigations lead her to tackle bigger and bigger crimes along the way, such as the theft of Big Ben's clock hands.
  • A new minigame sees you deducing characters' favorite foods and having a chef prepare them.
  • When investigating a story-related area, magnifying glasses on the bottom screen will show you how many clues are left to be found there.

Update: The official DGS2 site has updated with art of Susato, Iris, Barok, and Decargo (whose official name is given as "Decargo Mieterman".) You can also take a look at this behind-the-scenes video of Capcom recording tapdancer Yan Rin performing motion capture and percussion for the game.

[Court-Records is looking for a copywriting manager!]
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: DGS2 in Famitsu 5/23: Case 2 details, new artTopic%20Title

is a five star man.

I'm liking the new artwork, although I'm always a bit wary of this marketing tactic of revealing new information about a new case each month. Sort of ruins the surprise of what's coming next, case progression etc. To be fair though, I have no idea how else they'd do it.
Visit http://toatalireviews.com for all your TV and video game review needs.

Happy Maria

Spoiler: The picture in the top right corner
The Hamlet guy! Look at him!

He's DEAD!

But..wasn't the victim Juror No.3 from case 3 of DGS1?

So is case 2... a double murder?!

And yet they give the yellow-jacketed man's name for some reason...I bet he's the killer.

Also, can someone upload the second picture here? I'm having trouble seeing it currently.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Toatali wrote:
I'm liking the new artwork, although I'm always a bit wary of this marketing tactic of revealing new information about a new case each month. Sort of ruins the surprise of what's coming next, case progression etc. To be fair though, I have no idea how else they'd do it.

It's been pretty standard for the series since at least AAI1, to be fair. It robs some of the surprise, but there's not much else new they can show off (especially in DGS2's case given the main cast and systems are carrying over.)

Southern Corn wrote:

He's DEAD!

And yet they give the yellow-jacketed man's name for some reason...I bet he's the killer.

Also, can someone upload the second picture here? I'm having trouble seeing it currently.

Added the second preview to the article. The pixelation is intentional from Famitsu's side so as not to "give away" the juicy bits of the article.

As for your speculation, it's entirely possible they used a placeholder model for the footage they showed last month.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

is a five star man.

Southern Corn wrote:

He's DEAD!

Spoiler:
If I had to guess, it's more likely that Case 3 juror man was a placeholder victim for the trailers, rather than the true victim. I think it's probably just Hamlet guy who's the victim here.

Visit http://toatalireviews.com for all your TV and video game review needs.

Happy Maria

Darn. I thought that it wasn't loading properly, but it was just Famitsu being sneaky.

Toatali wrote:
Southern Corn wrote:

He's DEAD!

Spoiler:
If I had to guess, it's more likely that Case 3 juror man was a placeholder victim for the trailers, rather than the true victim. I think it's probably just Hamlet guy who's the victim here.

Spoiler: response
What you said makes sense but I'm still going by the double murder theory because that sounds way cooler and we haven't had one of those in a while. Actually, only once. I-4, I think.

迷探偵

Bolt Storm wrote:
the yellow-jacketed man's name is given as "Decago Mitaman". (Or Miteld Mitaman, the site article and preview scan seem to differ.)

Decago is the (currently) correct name; there's a footnote in the article that states that Capcom had the name changed after the article had been written. And the name is of course a portmanteau of dekai (big) and ago (chin).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

元・超会社員級の管理人

Ash wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:
the yellow-jacketed man's name is given as "Decago Mitaman". (Or Miteld Mitaman, the site article and preview scan seem to differ.)

Decago is the (currently) correct name; there's a footnote in the article that states that Capcom had the name changed after the article had been written. And the name is of course a portmanteau of dekai (big) and ago (chin).

Nice catch, I missed that. Also I'm shamelessly stealing Toats' romanization of "Meterman" over "Mitaman". Shakespeare? Meter? Anyone? :sahwit:

Wooster wrote:

Happy Maria

Ash wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

That happened with SoJ, I think. They changed Potdino's (Pees'lubn) last name from Niwakas to Nikawas. Spelling error, I think. That name makes sense at least, guy looks like a Layton character.

Bolt Storm wrote:
Ash wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

Nice catch, I missed that. Also I'm shamelessly stealing Toats' romanization of "Meterman" over "Mitaman". Shakespeare? Meter? Anyone? :sahwit:

Mitaman sounds too much like Mitahman, the Khura'inese souls. Meterman sounds more English.

I pity the fan translators who'll have to try and make the other names sound English :p

Also, I've been looking at the pixelated parts on the right of the second one and I can make out some parts of it. I can see Ryuunosuke, Baroque, Gregson, Sōseki, and the Decago. I don't see why they're censoring it so far. Not sure about the left of the second one though.

Edit: I was looking again at the right side of the second one when I saw...

Spoiler: Maybe spoilers
Well, this may be my eyes, but I think I saw Sherlock. On the prosecutor's bench.

Southern Corn wrote:
Darn. I thought that it wasn't loading properly, but it was just Famitsu being sneaky.

Toatali wrote:
Southern Corn wrote:

He's DEAD!

Spoiler:

What you said makes sense but I'm still going by the double murder theory because that sounds way cooler and we haven't had one of those in a while. Actually, only once. I-4, I think.

Spoiler: response to response
Does the final cases for DD (i.e. The Cosmic Turnabout for Tomorrow) and SoJ (Turnabout Revolution, if I remember correctly) count as double murder cases as well?

Happy Maria

alphadalekben wrote:
Southern Corn wrote:

Spoiler: response to response
Does the final cases for DD (i.e. The Cosmic Turnabout for Tomorrow) and SoJ (Turnabout Revolution, if I remember correctly) count as double murder cases as well?

Spoiler: response to response to response
Well, by double murder cases, I'm not referring to a case where you solve two separate murders, but a case where you solve the murder of two people in the same location who were murdered at around the same time with some connection to each other. Otherwise 1-4,1-5,4-4, and other cases similar to them would count. Though I guess I-5 technically also is one, though the murders take place in two different sides of the embassy.

um...hi your honour?

i don't think juror 3 would have been a good choice for a placeholder model,
the juror models have no legs so it's clear contradiction....they could have just made him a new set of legs....but maybe it is kinda spoilery if they added the true victim in the trailer...
still would like if it was juror 3 though....
hope your right Southern Corn.....i sure hope it's a double murder.....
on the other hand...WHOPEE JUROR 3 IS STILL ALIVE!!!!

Happy Maria

HeroMan66475 wrote:
i don't think juror 3 would have been a good choice for a placeholder model,
the juror models have no legs so it's clear contradiction....they could have just made him a new set of legs....but maybe it is kinda spoilery if they added the true victim in the trailer...
still would like if it was juror 3 though....
hope your right Southern Corn.....i sure hope it's a double murder.....
on the other hand...WHOPEE JUROR 3 IS STILL ALIVE!!!!

Spoiler: DGS-5
Well, in case five, they show a full body model of the maid juror in the investigation of the pawn shop at the start.

um...hi your honour?

Southern Corn wrote:
Well, in case five, they show a full body model of the maid juror in the investigation of the pawn shop at the start.

true that...but they changed her entire exterior clothing.
she's dressed completeley differently as well, and i don't belive it was full body...they showed it at an angle so it was showing the top half (and addmiteldy some of the...bottom) of the model.
don';t tell me it's less time consuming to do THAT than to add a new set of legs.

HeroMan66475 wrote:
Southern Corn wrote:

true that...but they changed her entire exterior clothing.
she's dressed completeley differently as well, and i don't belive it was full body...they showed it at an angle so it was showing the top half (and addmiteldy some of the...bottom) of the model.
don';t tell me it's less time consuming to do THAT than to add a new set of legs.

They're 3D models so I would expect them to do full body models in any case, even if they just show the top half.
Also it's pretty much guaranteed that juror no. 3 was used as fake victim as a joke, because he ended up pretty high in the popularity vote.

um...hi your honour?

Lusankya wrote:
Also it's pretty much guaranteed that juror no. 3 was used as fake victim as a joke, because he ended up pretty high in the popularity vote.

wait really?! is that's true....MY THEORY VIDEO IS NOW NULL AND VOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID!

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Hope for a witness who speaks in iambic pentameter. Anyone else?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Hope for a witness who speaks in iambic pentameter. Anyone else?

As a Creative Writing student at university, that simultaneously sounds like the stupidest and best thing ever, if you'll pardon the poetry.

元・超会社員級の管理人

The issue is out! Updated the OP with details.

Wooster wrote:

Happy Maria

Decago is an automatic suspicious character for me. So much for double murder, I guess.

I kinda like how this apparently takes place in between D-4 and 5. But then it raises the question of how this isn't referenced at all in the fifth case. Will the Garridebs show up?

um...hi your honour?

Southern Corn wrote:
I kinda like how this apparently takes place in between D-4 and 5. But then it raises the question of how this isn't referenced at all in the fifth case. Will the Garridebs show up?

wait whut? it does!?

Happy Maria

Read the OP. The article states that it takes place before Sōseki returns to Japan. Though it could imply it takes place right in between D-5 and D2-1. But right after D-5.

Quote:
Dusting for fingerprints is in the game by way of some of Holmes' inventions.

Please tell me it's not going to be as annoying as in SoJ...
Signature loading, please wait...

um...hi your honour?

yeah just did.....
also i kinda have confidence the holmes mechanics will be not as annoying as ema gimmicks....

Well, that trial sure was interesting!

Huh, interesting that it's (probably) during the 2-month gap between Clouded Kokoro and Unspeakable Story, though I do recall during the latter case that Naruhodo & Co. Law Offices didn't particularly do much during that time. Heck, considering the fact that Souseki's a witness during DGS2-1, that case probably segues to this one via conversation and flashback.

Also, it seems that we're probably gonna get an explanation as to why the flat's supposedly "cursed". Perhaps more curious is the fact that Sherlock gets himself involved in this case because of that flat's notoriety. Hmm...

By the way, does Hamlet Guy have a name?
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Now that I think about it, the first announcement of the game said that Ryunosuke would not be able to stand in court due to reasons related to the first game, right? I guess this explains how he can be the lawyer in this case without any mention of that.
Signature loading, please wait...

元・超会社員級の管理人

CourtroomShenanigans wrote:
By the way, does Hamlet Guy have a name?

Nope! It's missing from the article entirely. This isn't unprecedented - on the contrary, in recent marketing for AA games the victims tend to have their names omitted.

The aforementioned recording of the tap-dancing session is now up - no game footage, but a clean listen at the trailer theme we've been hearing (which incorporates the taps as an instrument.)

Official site updated as well.

Wooster wrote:

EDIT: Whoops, upon closer examination much of that tapping was for recording the trailer theme (which I think is either a major character theme or this game's Pursuit).

Still, there's quite a bit of motion capture footage there, and if this follows the last game the dancing character might be someone major.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Happy Maria

To me, that theme definitely sounds like the Joint Reasoning Theme for this game. So the tap dancing character is still most likely Sherlock IMO.

迷探偵

With the way his descriptions are written, I suspect the pun behind Decago Meterman (Mitaman)'s last name is one of those super literal puns Takumi often uses: mita (he saw) + man. The man who saw something -> witness (same idea as Frank Sawhit).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ace Fangirl

What's up with Gregson's fish 'n chips? There's something very odd hidden between the chips that a zoomed-in screenshot even emphasizes, but I can't make it out at all. Or is that just a flashy background thing with very awkward positioning?

Southern Corn wrote:
To me, that theme definitely sounds like the Joint Reasoning Theme for this game.

Would they not just reuse the DGS-1 Joint Reasoning themes, like they appear to be doing for the court theme, the cross-examination suite (which I'm glad they're doing, as the DGS CE suite is my favourite in the series so far) and suspense themes (which is a given, seeing as they did the exact same thing for AA-AJ and DD-SoJ)? They may be reusing the logic theme, but I can't remember if the web demo uses it.

Of course, they may just be placeholders until they create a new set of music for the court and investigations.

Last edited by alphadalekben on Fri May 26, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

The trailers do use the usual Joint Reasoning and Court suites alongside the trailer theme and Ryuu's 2017 Objection, so I guess the usual Joint Reasoning music will be used (unless they are placeholders, which is possible).

Last edited by CourtroomShenanigans on Thu May 25, 2017 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Meowzy wrote:
What's up with Gregson's fish 'n chips? There's something very odd hidden between the chips that a zoomed-in screenshot even emphasizes, but I can't make it out at all. Or is that just a flashy background thing with very awkward positioning?

It appears to be a bit of bread...I think.

Happy Maria

alphadalekben wrote:
Southern Corn wrote:
To me, that theme definitely sounds like the Joint Reasoning Theme for this game.

Would they nor just reuse the DGS-1 Joint Reasoning themes, like they appear to be doing for the court theme, the cross-examination suite (which I'm glad they're doing, as the DGS CE suite is my favourite in the series so far) and suspense themes (which is a given, seeing as they did the exact same thing for AA-AJ and DD-SoJ)? They may be reusing the logic theme, but I can't remember if the web demo uses it.

Of course, they may just be placeholders until they create a new set of music for the court and investigations.

Those could very well be the placeholder themes. The only really new theme is the Objection one. It would also be a bit weird for most of the songs to be the same.

迷探偵

Meowzy wrote:

Do you mean that red gasmeter? phone? in the background sticking out between the chips? Or the different-looking piece of food (which is probably the fish)? The zoomed-in part is a "newsarticle" written in faux pre-war Japanese on fish & chips and how it's a popular dish in London.

Southern Corn wrote:
alphadalekben wrote:
Southern Corn wrote:

Would they nor just reuse the DGS-1 Joint Reasoning themes, like they appear to be doing for the court theme, the cross-examination suite (which I'm glad they're doing, as the DGS CE suite is my favourite in the series so far) and suspense themes (which is a given, seeing as they did the exact same thing for AA-AJ and DD-SoJ)? They may be reusing the logic theme, but I can't remember if the web demo uses it.

Those could very well be the placeholder themes. The only really new theme is the Objection one. It would also be a bit weird for most of the songs to be the same.

Seeing as DGS-2 takes place immediately after or during DGS-1, I would think they'll end up using the DGS-1 themes in DGS-2, if they're treating it like one big story.

Last edited by alphadalekben on Thu May 25, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace Fangirl

Ash wrote:
Meowzy wrote:

Do you mean that red gasmeter? phone? in the background sticking out between the chips? Or the different-looking piece of food (which is probably the fish)? The zoomed-in part is a "newsarticle" written in faux pre-war Japanese on fish & chips and how it's a popular dish in London.

Yeah, I meant the red/blackish thing. It's very awkwardly placed, there. If the text that goes with it is an article about fish & chips, there's probably nothing suspicious happening there.

Also, is it just me or is there something SERIOUSLY wrong with the way Iris's body is positioned in her new status art? Look at the angle of her feet and then look at her head. Somehow the rest of the body fails to account for that difference. It's like the top half of her body is still sort of facing towards the camera, along with the skirt, but the bottom half is facing away and afdlkjfdalkfa how even. Especially that right leg, good lord...

Meowzy wrote:

Also, is it just me or is there something SERIOUSLY wrong with the way Iris's body is positioned in her new status art? Look at the angle of her feet and then look at her head. Somehow the rest of the body fails to account for that difference. It's like the top half of her body is still sort of facing towards the camera, along with the skirt, but the bottom half is facing away and afdlkjfdalkfa how even. Especially that right leg, good lord...

Yeah, you're right. It's as if they joined two different pieces of promo art of Iris together, or the like.

元・超会社員級の管理人

After going back to the January Famitsu issue, I'm more convinced that this case does take place between DGS1-4 and DGS1-5. The blurb there talked about how a letter from Susato to Ryuunosuke "brought to mind another case, hidden until now".

When I first saw that, I assumed it was referring to something like an Asougi flashback case (which was my guess for what would start the game for a long time). But as we all know that's not what happened. So instead it sounds like Susato's letter - which I'm guessing is recapping the events of DGS2-1 to Ryuunosuke - reminds Ryuunosuke and Holmes of this case, presumably because Souseki was involved in DGS2-1 as well.

What I still can't wrap my head around is why they would structure it like this. Unless this case is much more deeply linked to the overall DGS story arcs than we think, flashing back to this period adds nothing from a plot perspective or a character perspective. My only real guess is that Susato won't get back to London until case 4 or 5, and they wanted to have another case with Ryuunosuke/Susato/Holmes/Iris all together before that. I guess it could also serve as a way to get new players up to speed, though they sure seem to be marketing DGS2 as "please play DGS1 first", lol.

Wooster wrote:
Page 1 of 2 [ 46 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes