Court Records
http://forums.court-records.net/

The Great Ace Attorney - episode 2 translation released
http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32797
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Bolt Storm [ Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:01 pm ]
Post subject:  The Great Ace Attorney - episode 2 translation released

Image


It's been a few months since the Scarlet Study team released their translation patch for the first episode of Dai Gyakuten Saiban - or The Great Ace Attorney if you prefer - and they're proud to announce today that the patch has been updated to include the game's second episode!

The Scarlet Study team wrote:
Here’s a quick summary of the changes: a full release of Episode 2; the teaser for Episode 3; dozens of retranslations and typo fixes for our initial release; and the removal of our anti-circumvention measures from the patch, allowing eShop buyers to use it. Our staff spent countless hours polishing this release to ensure that it is as high-quality as possible – in fact, you may be surprised to hear that initial translation for this episode was completed quite some time ago. Since then, our tireless team of translators, proofreaders, and editors have rewritten the entire script to preserve quality and consistency. Above all, we strived to find the best balance that we could between accuracy and clarity.


So if you've got a copy of DGS1 and a homebrewed 3DS, what are you waiting for? Go download the patch!

Congrats to the team on this release to close out 2017! And keep your eye on CR for the next few days as we ring in 2018 with some news of our own...

Author:  Blizdi [ Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Great Ace Attorney - episode 2 translation released

Hell yeah 5th worst case in the series HYPE

Author:  Cesar Zero [ Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Great Ace Attorney - episode 2 translation released

Wrong thread Blizdi, the AAI-3 discussion thread is in a different section.

More on topic, congrats to the team for this release! They have been pretty fast with this all things considered. Western fans are closer to experiencing the whole DGS story! And they can already experience the most emotionally painful case ever.

Author:  Blizdi [ Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Great Ace Attorney - episode 2 translation released

Cesar Zero wrote:
Wrong thread Blizdi, the AAI-3 discussion thread is in a different section.

More on topic, congrats to the team for this release! They have been pretty fast with this all things considered. Western fans are closer to experiencing the whole DGS story! And they can already experience the most emotionally painful case ever.


Wait until you see my reply to the Case 4 completion topic :karma: :karma: :karma: :karma: :karma: :karma: :karma: :karma:

Author:  Apollon [ Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Great Ace Attorney - episode 2 translation released

I'm holding out for the completed translation, but I'm really happy to see the progress continue! It reminds me of the thrill of waiting for the AAI2 fan translation a lot.

Author:  Thunder84 [ Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Great Ace Attorney - episode 2 translation released

I'm in the same boat as Apollon, as I'd much rather have the full game playable than wait months for each new case. Awesome to see that progress is going smoothly on this though. Here's hoping 2018's a great year for Ace Attorney.

Author:  hooded-wanderer [ Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Great Ace Attorney - episode 2 translation released

I am honestly kind of amazed that unlike with AAI2 (which at least Capcom can hide behind the excuse of low sales of the original) for them not releasing it stateside; they have not even bothered to bring the Great Ace Attorney game westside.

Anyone can fill me in on why it happened? From what I've heard a reason is due to the copyright of some Sherlock Holmes characters.

Author:  Bolt Storm [ Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Great Ace Attorney - episode 2 translation released

hooded-wanderer wrote:
I am honestly kind of amazed that unlike with AAI2 (which at least Capcom can hide behind the excuse of low sales of the original) for them not releasing it stateside; they have not even bothered to bring the Great Ace Attorney game westside.

Anyone can fill me in on why it happened? From what I've heard a reason is due to the copyright of some Sherlock Holmes characters.


There's no official or hard answer. The best guess I can make (and to be clear this is all speculation) is that it's a combination of two factors: first, Capcom might not believe that the DGS games would sell well enough to justify spending localization resources on them. It's important to note that I'm not just talking about "would the games turn a profit", it's also about "does Capcom have other projects they could be assigning these localizers to." For example, if they need to put translators/editors on either Ace Attorney or on Monster Hunter, they're obviously going to prioritize Monster Hunter, as that's a multi-million selling game whereas the AA games sell modestly in the West.

The other issue is, yes, the Holmes copyright is messy to say the least. There are competing groups arguing they have rights to the stories in the US, and while much of Holmes is in the public domain, a few late stories (including ones that are referenced in the DGS games) are still under copyright, and the Conan Doyle estate has been known to press charges for works they feel draw too much from those stories without receiving permission from them. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say if this is something Capcom is actually worried about, but if it is then it's a huge showstopper - the last thing you want is to get dragged into court over a game that probably isn't going to sell much in the first place.

Author:  hooded-wanderer [ Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Great Ace Attorney - episode 2 translation released

Bolt Storm wrote:
hooded-wanderer wrote:
I am honestly kind of amazed that unlike with AAI2 (which at least Capcom can hide behind the excuse of low sales of the original) for them not releasing it stateside; they have not even bothered to bring the Great Ace Attorney game westside.

Anyone can fill me in on why it happened? From what I've heard a reason is due to the copyright of some Sherlock Holmes characters.


There's no official or hard answer. The best guess I can make (and to be clear this is all speculation) is that it's a combination of two factors: first, Capcom might not believe that the DGS games would sell well enough to justify spending localization resources on them. It's important to note that I'm not just talking about "would the games turn a profit", it's also about "does Capcom have other projects they could be assigning these localizers to." For example, if they need to put translators/editors on either Ace Attorney or on Monster Hunter, they're obviously going to prioritize Monster Hunter, as that's a multi-million selling game whereas the AA games sell modestly in the West.

The other issue is, yes, the Holmes copyright is messy to say the least. There are competing groups arguing they have rights to the stories in the US, and while much of Holmes is in the public domain, a few late stories (including ones that are referenced in the DGS games) are still under copyright, and the Conan Doyle estate has been known to press charges for works they feel draw too much from those stories without receiving permission from them. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say if this is something Capcom is actually worried about, but if it is then it's a huge showstopper - the last thing you want is to get dragged into court over a game that probably isn't going to sell much in the first place.


The not sell angle is a bit of a hard (pun intended) sell in my personal opinion, out of the simple fact that the games, even ones in the main series, aren't big sellers as well, and yet they still bring it over here. I think it is as you say that it's due to the fact that they don't want to be sued over the Holmes copyright.

Author:  Meowzy [ Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Great Ace Attorney - episode 2 translation released

The thing is, from what I can tell of the copyrighted stories? Every single reference to those particular stories can be easily changed in localization. Change the title of the Lion's Mane book and change the names of the Garridebs, because neither of those things have plot relevance. The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger does have a circus lion in it, but never makes any claims that 'someone was keeping the lion in their apartment'. There's just... a circus lion who supposedly went on a rampage at said circus. There's other instances like this, but my point is that localization can make the changes necessary to stick to 'public domain Holmes' and then the Doyle estate can't really do anything to them. (However, the Doyle estate can still make an attempt and Capcom might not want that sort of bad publicity regardless of whether they come out victorious.)

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/