Last visit was:
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: CHASE: Cold Case Investigations discussion
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:45 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Art Person
I think this is the right place to share this? (Reviving this dead place hahaha, never ventured here before)

So, I downloaded it and finished it relatively quickly (It was short, like less than 2 hours long).

I really enjoyed it! A lot of foreshadowing, and I wonder if there's more plot if you play a second time round? Or were they going to make this an episodic? Anyone else played it yet?

Post subject: Re: CHASE: Cold Case Investigations discussion
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:04 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: 迷探偵
SuperAj3 wrote:
Or were they going to make this an episodic? Anyone else played it yet?

The plan was to make it an episodic thing, the developers/publisher confirmed in a pre-release interview.

I played it when it was released in Japan. I liked the film-like story (and even though Suzuki didn't pen the story, I thought it did had a CiNG-like quality to it), but it was not really an old-fashioned adventure game like we'd come to expect from Kanasaki, and even if you'd look at the game as a novel game, it was extremely limited, so from a gameplay perspective I was very disappointed.

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:14 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Art Person
Yeah, it felt like an interactive movie (Sorta like Attack of the Friday Monsters).
I did find it threw you into a few game mechanics and it was a lot of work and set up for such a short story, so I was surprised when it ended so suddenly.
I hope it does get more episodes though (preferably longer than 2 hours of gameplay though XD).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:39 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
I think it set itself up well for a continuation (especially with that cliffhanger), so I hope they'll make more of it eventually. It definitely had a Hotel Dusk- and Another Code-ish feeling to it (and Nanase looked like a darier and thinner Kyle Hyde), and with that in mind I feel like it could have a lot of potential. It's pretty hard to judge the story, it was good but can hardly stand on its own. The gameplay didn't leave much room for the player to figure stuff out on its own, my biggest gripe is the part where you had one chance to point something out because I couldn't make out what things in that picture were supposed to be (and the one chance-thing felt completely unnecessary, both because one just went back to the same spot to try again, and the game over-screen is simply Nanase looking disappointed because his subordinate failed. ...So?). The characters were pretty good considering the short time we got to know them. Nanase was so damn chill xD Stupid you stupidly bought a gas tank of a stupidly large size...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:09 pm 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

It was interesting, even though really short. It seemed more of a prologue/tutorial case than an actual full-fledged game. I read somewhere that this is most likely going to be an episosic series, this being the first one, so that's not a big deal actually.
That cliffhanger at the end was totally unexpected, and the multiple deja-vus Nanase gets during the game could really play a fundamental role in the next installments.

The examination parts need to be improved, they were pretty tedious. It could be interesting to move from a place to another like in Ace Attorney, just to add more options to the player.

Can't wait for the next episode :edgey:

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:17 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
I also just finished this recently.
Well... that was, something...

Okay, Ex-CING led by Arc System Works or whatever it is, get Rika Suzuki back now and get real.

I'll say, it was slightly better in terms of writing than I feared. I kept thinking "how is CING gonna work without Rika?" because last time we got Again: Eye of Providence (yuck!) but this had a slightly better feel to it. It still felt like particularly the secretary character was pretty flanderized and unlike any character I can remember from the beloved CING games which no matter how contrived they could be plot-wise mostly felt like real people to me. Shounosuke is smarmy enough to be likeable and I could see him grow to being an iconic protagonist if he was in a longer series, and for what it's worth the mystery going on was interesting enough that I cared at least a little. It didn't feel like I struggled to keep attention and the somewhat catchy stinger ending did make me go "aha". It was cool enough.

...but still, get real next time. As a game it wasn't satisfying. There's barely any real game design here. The whole gameplay is basically Thought Route and not much else except some very obtuse and embarassingly crude looking pixel hunting. The aesthetics of the normal character movements is just neat enough to make this game look like something if only just that.

I think this game was a proof of concept and a very cheaply made thing in hopes that it could get a tiny bit of momentum and test the waters to see if a bigger game is feasible to make next time. We'll probably never get Rika back into the industry now that she's running some digital novel thingy or whatever it was, but I can still hope and if not this was decent enough that I'll probably buy what these guys make next if that ever happens.