Last visit was:
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another game by CiNG - Again: Eye of Providence
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:25 am 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

Custom Title: Criticus Maximus
So, shouldn't judgement be reserved then? Rather than just popping up and saying "OH MAN, BEST EVER!". And, of course, that does depend on what you call "best ever".

But wait, sorry if I missed it, but isn't seeing the past your power in the first place? Seems overly pointless now.

BadPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
in one event a guy is drinking a beer, and in another he throws it out. If it was in the background and not a big deal, then you'd have to look closely at the events to figure out the events, instead of just seeing how many people are alive =\ I'm not saying they are going to do that, but I hope they do...

It'd be great if they did, really it would.

Well, the pacing does seem slow if you guys are only this far after having the game for the amount of time you've had it. However, is that due to the writing, or the general pacing itself?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 am 
Admin
Admin

Custom Title: Deputy of Self-Esteem
I got the game after at day college; spent the majority of that time shoveling maneuer from the barn and giving the kids next door a tour of the farm, and as for today, I've only semi-recently gotten home from a full day of college and had dinner. Plus researching the Wii file system.( I 'think' I've found the directory where all the rooms and textures are stored, which was the first step to unearthing the true quality Dusk photos, but the file extension is alien; there's no documentation at all on it.) But yes, just because I haven't beaten the game doesn't mean I'm slacking on it. But to answer your question, yes, after you solve the first murder the pace picks up nicely.

On a side note, while I haven't yet solved who dun it; I think I know who are going to be the murder victims on cases 4 and 5.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 am 
Moderators
Moderators

Custom Title: 1000% Knight
We aren't really saying "best game ever," just that the plot twist at the beginning was pretty great. Who knows? I might go downhill from here. (Although I don't think it is.) And of course final judgment should be reserved until the end, but we are giving are impressions along the way. There could be a game with a meh beginning and middle and amazing end, or vice versa.

Seeing the past is your power, but you can only see the past when you spot the differences and recreate the scene.

Still looking into the second investigation... The visual novel-part and the 3D investigation-part are tying in together more than I had anticipated, which is nice.
Spoiler: minor plot
argh, that darn cigarette!!

Spoiler: my progress
I got stuck in the parking garage... then I aimlessly wandered around for 5 minutes, then I discovered I could go into my car, and then 5 minutes later I discovered I could leave the garage xD I've recreated 3/5 vision panels, and I found one (the cigarette one, but Hobohodo is on it), but I still haven't even found the last panel! Argh, it's so annoying... T_T

And about the pacing... It is kinda slowly, but it isn't annoyingly slow. It was a bit at the beginning, but now that the tutorial segment is done it's really making progress at your own pace (that is, going to the right ppl and doing the right things) and we are just making progress slowly xD Honestly, I think this slow pace suits the game better than a faster pace would have.

And Hobohodo... xD I luv his hiding pose.

Spoiler: crack theory
I think it would be awesome if Providence actually was one person and committed all the people, but was somehow (perhaps with the Eyes he leaves at the crimescenes?) is manipulating J's visions to make it seem like each victim killed the previous one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:14 am 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

Enh, it just seems like you're creating expectations to try and foil the mediocre to poor reviews.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:01 am 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

I'm glad you guys are finding some enjoyment from the game. What I'm hearing still makes it sound like nothing more than a mediocre game, but...well, I'm sure I'll pick it up some day. It's just really not appealing to me at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:55 am 
Moderators
Moderators

OniXera wrote:
Enh, it just seems like you're creating expectations to try and foil the mediocre to poor reviews.

I think that's probably true, but make no mistake: I am having fun and enjoying it :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:21 am 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

Bad Player wrote:
OniXera wrote:

I think that's probably true, but make no mistake: I am having fun and enjoying it :)

Well, let's hope it keeps being fun until the end.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:35 pm 
Admin
Admin

I got to mureder number four. The quizes and investigative deduction have gotten a lot harder. I'm getting a lot of things wrong it's almost embarasing; exceptI love a challenge and this is what I've been waiting for.

The puzzles are also starting to make a real preasence. Honestly, I was tempted to shout out "Profesah, I've solved it". Very Laytony puzzles.

At this point, the game is starting to shift focus to the present murders and events. Up until this point, detective Lane, or rather Detective Badd, has been focusing on the present murders, while J and K investigate the events from 19 years ago.

I think I've figured out at this point who the next victim is going to be, who the murderer is going to be, and who Providence is.

On the other hand, I don't have a clue what the motivation is for the murders, either in the past or the present; and even less what the ultimate connection could be. Aside from a few reoccuring characters there's nothing to clue you in as to what's the common thread.

In this case, the game is an anti-Gyakuten Saiban. In GS, you're practitcally given the who and the why; but the goal is to figure out the how and in what order; there's also a special emphasis on evidence and little on investigation.

In Again, you're given the how and in what order early on, but need to figure out the who and why. Evidence isn't nearly as important as in GS, but when it is, you know it likely means a trip to forensics. It's like having access to your own Ema Skye, just with a more human approachable personality. And the game is all about investigation.

Hugo I'm starting to enjoy. His role is simialr to the Librarian in Time Hollow. Whenever you need dirt on something in the past, he's your go-to man. However, unlike the librarian, he's got a buddy-buddy personality, and actually has some relivant input on the dirt he gives you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:49 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

I thought I would have received it today, but... no, nothing :(
I just hope I won't have to wait until next week, since your comments has really got me pumped up.
I know it won't be the game of the year, but still, I've really taken a liking to adventure games lately...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:33 pm 
Moderators
Moderators

Wooster, stop going so far ahead. I'm still stuck in this stupid investigation... What is the last difference!!! T_T

Spoiler: 2nd investigation
I got the bullet holes, the light, the cone, and the cigarette. I can't find the last thing though! *sigh* I guess I will just have to go through every single difference that is there (paint bucket, radio flyer, different cars) until I find the right one... or have an epiphany.

...or ragequit.

EDIT: The radio? Seriously, the radio? Ugh, that's not fair... Of course his radio is different, it was a different car! And how was I supposed to know it was turned off, and that it actually made a difference? T_T Oh well, I'm over it now...

Oh well, at least I don't need to worry about the difficulty any more :3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:42 pm 
Admin
Admin

Bad Player wrote:
Wooster, stop going so far ahead. I'm still stuck in this stupid investigation... What is the last difference!!! T_T

Spoiler: 2nd investigation
I got the bullet holes, the light, the cone, and the cigarette. I can't find the last thing though! *sigh* I guess I will just have to go through every single difference that is there (paint bucket, radio flyer, different cars) until I find the right one... or have an epiphany.

...or ragequit.

EDIT: The radio? Seriously, the radio? Ugh, that's not fair... Of course his radio is different, it was a different car! And how was I supposed to know it was turned off, and that it actually made a difference? T_T Oh well, I'm over it now...

Oh well, at least I don't need to worry about the difficulty any more :3

Alright, I'll take a (much needed) break from Again. Leave a note when you pass the 'Very Professor Layton' Puzzle so I can start playing in sync.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:02 pm 
Moderators
Moderators

Lol, I wasn't really being serious xD But I'll let you know when I get up to the fourth murder. (Investigating the 3rd murder. The differences are a lot more subtle than the 1st and 2nd investigations... ._.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:15 pm 
Admin
Admin

Bad Player wrote:
Lol, I wasn't really being serious xD But I'll let you know when I get up to the fourth murder. (Investigating the 3rd murder. The differences are a lot more subtle than the 1st and 2nd investigations... ._.)

Pft. Part of the fun on my end was our synchronous playing. I haven't played a game at the same rate as someone else before. It looses the effect if I take off, so no it's no trouble at all on my end.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:45 am 
Moderators
Moderators

Wooster wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

Pft. Part of the fun on my end was our synchronous playing. I haven't played a game at the same rate as someone else before. It looses the effect if I take off, so no it's no trouble at all on my end.

I haven't done something like this before, either. It is pretty interesting... I think another part of the fun is that we're the only ones playing and talking about it xD

I'm really liking the 3rd investigation :)
Spoiler: 3rd investigation+some random thoughts and predictions
The piano puzzle was very fun! I got a "Eureka!" moment when I saw the roses corresponded to the piano keys, and then another when I noticed the leaves. I just wish we got a few more notes on the piano, so I could've had fun playing it xD I wonder what would've happened if I had poured the wrong champagne on the couch... I'm guessing it's similar to the cone thing in the 2nd investigation, where you had to pick the right one. (Although at the time I just took the G one and put it down; I didn't understand why I could pick the other ones up, too xD)

Now I just need to open the safe. I'm guessing that photo that Isabella and the killer were looking at is in the safe. I want the code to be "1975 SKY" but I'm going to find that out tomorrow...

I think they are making Burns too suspicious to be the killer. For some reason, I'm a little suspicious of Ed... Hm...

Anyway, if the pattern continues, I wonder who killed the fourth victim. I mean, it's J's parents that are the victims after him... so is it the mom, the dad, or both? o_O I guess we'll find out once I finish this investigation xD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:34 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Quote:
I think another part of the fun is that we're the only ones playing and talking about it xD

Don't worry guys, I shall join you as soon as I receive the game... today I hope!
But I won't ask you to wait for me or anything, especially as I absolutely don't know how quick/slow I'll be, so... though, I know I'll play at least one hour and a half per day (that's what I did for the AA series, except AAI).

Looks like the game isn't easy as it looked at the beginning... sounds quite good.
And the spot difference thingy not as basic as the reviews seemed to suggest... good, good...
I just hope it's not too difficult for me ;) (j/k)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:28 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: 迷探偵
After a lot of thinking, decided to import the (US) game instead of just buying the Japanese version here. It probably doesn't really matter to Cing where I buy the game, but for me the price difference matters quite a lot :D

(Aaah, I should've gone to Cing here in Fukuoka before the fall~)

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:06 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Ash wrote:
After a lot of thinking, decided to import the (US) game instead of just buying the Japanese version here. It probably doesn't really matter to Cing where I buy the game, but for me the price difference matters quite a lot :D

Did you buy it on Play-Asia? I believe you can have free shipping if you live in Japan, right? (lucky you... and you don't have to wait +1 week to get your game... still haven't received mine... just hope this stupid postman didn't put it in my landlady's mailbox, as he's been doing quite a few times recently, since she's currently on holidays... ;__;)

Quote:
(Aaah, I should've gone to Cing here in Fukuoka before the fall~)

Aaah! You were so close to them?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:15 pm 
Moderators
Moderators

I just beat the 3rd investigation, so I think you can start playing again, Wooster :P

Spoiler: 3rd investigation
In the glance I saw of that photo, I thought I saw Charles Smith o_O

I could've sworn Alfred Brown said the movie's name was "1975 Sky"... oh well.

I was so sad when Roger got mad at me, but then we made up, so it was fine :3

The chain continues! I suspected Bernie was getting killed next. However, I was a little disappointed that you were interrupted when J was about to talk about how his parents would be the next killers, and also how you never got to get Bernie to talk about knowing Isabella had killed Smith. Oh well, I guess I'll get to that now...

Anyway, I haven't stated this, but I remember how when we first learned about this game, it seemed like the "Eye of Providence" was just going to be the protagonist's special ability, but I'm glad that it actually does have stuff to do with the story and everything :)

EDIT: I went and looked back at old screenshots and the first trailer. Lol.

EDIT2:
Spoiler: 4th investigation
Whoa!! The music is intense!

EDIT3: I beat the 4th investigation. That one was quick. Did I miss the Latony puzzle, because there weren't exactly any "puzzles" in it... Also
Spoiler:
The red guy in the Photo of Four is definitely Charles Smith.

EDIT4:
Wooster wrote:
I think I've figured out at this point who the next victim is going to be, who the murderer is going to be, and who Providence is.

Spoiler: 4th investigation (and I guess a little after)
I think Ed and Henry... I'm not sure who is what, though xD Bernie's killer was sick, and so is Henry. However, I think that Ed would fit the role of the 5th victim better than Henry for the copycat murder, as both Ed and Nick were/are Clockford U professors, and Ed was Nick's assistant. Of course, we don't know if the killer/victim chain that we have in the past murders is continuing in these present murders, so it is possible that Bernie's killer isn't the next victim. If the chain doesn't apply to the present murders, I think Ed is the next victim, and Henry the next murder and/or Providence. If the chain is applying... well, I think Ed or Henry is the next victim, but I have no idea who the next murderer is or who Providence is.

...Also, I keep on typing "Harry" instead of "Henry"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:09 pm 
Admin
Admin

Okay, I was right about who Providence is, but boy was I wrong about who the victim was going to be in Case 5. This is another good plot twist.

And the Laytony puzzles were all in the crime scene in case 4, the abandoned office.

Edit:
Spoiler: Um... *Stunned*
... J's Brother reminds me of Giygas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:49 pm 
Moderators
Moderators

Well, I'd better work then, so I can get to the Latony puzzles and find out about Providence :3

And argh, I read your spoiler, but too soon... Oh well, it was obvious he was coming in, anyway.

EDIT: Jeez, Emmett is a jerk, and J is actually really polite.
Spoiler:
"I LOST MY HUSBAND TO THAT MANIAC! HOW COULD YOU EVER UNDERSTAND?!?!"
"In the Providence killings, I lost my father. And my mother. And my only brother."
I really wish he had just 1up-ed her like that. I mean, I know he eventually does it, but he does it nicely, and I wanted him to just pwn her!

Last edited by Bad Player on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:24 pm 
Admin
Admin

ASDFGASDFJKHLKJHFLHFD!!!!!11

I was wrong who Providence was. *&$#*&# And now the Primary suspect is someone who I didn't even remotely suspect. What's going on with this plot? I'm not used to being lost like this.

This is 'nothing' like the beginning of the game. This is good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:55 pm 
Moderators
Moderators

w00t! We have one of us finally confirming the game as "good" xD

Anyway... Princess in a Box :P

Beat the 5th investigation(4th murder in the past), and the results were a bit... disappointing =\ However...
Spoiler: post-5th investigation
I think the age of the photo is a pretty delicious plot twist :3

Of course that's b/c, as far as I can tell, they look pretty similar to what they looked like when they were murdered. But if they are supposed to look younger, and it was just taken when they were younger... then nvm >_>

EDIT:
Spoiler:
...So they were just younger :nick: Oh well, at least now I have this Duke/Ewan thing to wonder about instead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:17 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: 迷探偵
L~A wrote:
Did you buy it on Play-Asia? I believe you can have free shipping if you live in Japan, right?

Free shipping for Japan is only for Japanese games.

Quote:
Aaah! You were so close to them?

Yeah, there are actually some great game companies here in Fukuoka City like Level 5 and CyberConnect. By the time I discovered Cing was based here in the city, bankruptcy was already filed, so I guess I'll not be able to visit them, right? ^_~

(According to a classmate who is trying to get a job at Level 5, their office is... unbelievable awesome)

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:08 am 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

...Enh, still not convinced. I didn't consider Professor Layton to be that hard until the last 20 or so puzzles of either game, considering the games are aimed at younger teens.

I'll have to play it myself to see how "hard" or how twisted these "twists" are, but that won't be for a long while. Y'know, unti, Europe sees fit that it's actually worth releasing the game there, thus it will released in Australia.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:23 am 
Admin
Admin

Agent J is on the trail of Providence. I wouldn't normally label investigation as exciting, particularly with GK, GS, Time Hollow and Hotel Dusk even. But man, this is it! Case 6 is where it's at.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:37 am 
Moderators
Moderators

Hugo is a pretty cool guy. I think him and Maureen are my favorite characters :)

Stop going so fast, Wooster, I don't even have Case 5 yet. I'm working my way there, though. But this interim info-gathering period is a little boring...

Spoiler:
I had a feeling that the 4 ppl would be the Baslock thieves. But Hans was an inside guy? That's pretty strange.

Something is also definitely up with Henry, considering he has that weird cancer medicine. Also, ever since this day has begun, I've gotten a feeling that he'd be killed. *sigh* I want Ed killed, not him... he could be the murderer, I'd be fine with that xD

OniXera, I'm a bit curious as to what we would need to say to convince you, considering nothing we say seems to sway you at all :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:18 am 
Admin
Admin

Bad Player wrote:
Hugo is a pretty cool guy. I think him and Maureen are my favorite characters :)

Stop going so fast, Wooster, I don't even have Case 5 yet. I'm working my way there, though. But this interim info-gathering period is a little boring...

Spoiler:
I had a feeling that the 4 ppl would be the Baslock thieves. But Hans was an inside guy? That's pretty strange.

Something is also definitely up with Henry, considering he has that weird cancer medicine. Also, ever since this day has begun, I've gotten a feeling that he'd be killed. *sigh* I want Ed killed, not him... he could be the murderer, I'd be fine with that xD

OniXera, I'm a bit curious as to what we would need to say to convince you, considering nothing we say seems to sway you at all :P

Yeah, Hugo's an awesome character. The GS series could really use to acquire his talent. The closest we get is Lotta Hart for PW, and Spark Brushel for AJ; but Lotta only deals with Photographic evidence and Brushel... err... He's Brushel and therefore a terrible reporter. I think that a reporter would make for an excellent aid for GS7 when we're done with Apollo's Trilogy. Actually, the only aid who ever acted like Hugo was Grossburg, and he only got to shine in GS3-1 to go and do research.

Maureen is also nice, she's the Ema Skye of this series.

After Hugo and the hobo, I'd say my other favorite is Professor what's-his-face. I've got a background interest in Psychology, so a Professor of Criminal Psychology has my attention.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:38 am 
Moderators
Moderators

Eh, I don't really like Ed =\ (But you can probably already tell that from my theories xD)

Anyway, got up to the 5th case. It was worth it :3

Spoiler: 5th case
Henry killed Bernie. But I guess they did make it pretty obvious, with his suspicious behavior, sickness, and the drugs in the sink. Although it's now way too obvious that he's Providence for him to be Providence xD The photos on the wall are pretty suspicious, but I'm sure there's some sort of crazy, awesome explanation... I also think they'd save Providence for some sort of epic showdown, instead of having him die off-screen.

Anyway, I'm done for the night... Having Freddy get attacked from behind and wake up next to a corpse seems like a very GS-like thing to do xD When his picture was on the wall, well, he isn't really my favorite character, but I was pretty relieved when he was okay.

But gosh, the whole motive for these murders is getting crazy. In the past, Hans was killed after being involved in the Baslock heist, possibly by the Providence victims to increase their share. But then why were they killed, and so much later? It didn't have to do with the money, as it was long gone. It probably wasn't to keep them quiet, since it would implicate them. But then why? And who killed Duke? And then who killed J's parents? Also, why did each killer leave an Eye of Providence at the scene of the crime? Why are there copycat murders in the present? Are they following the same killer/victim link, or were they by one person? Henry murdering Bernie then getting killed fits that chain nicely, but those pictures at his place are pretty suspicious... Of course, he could be Providence II or something. If the victims in the present murders were selected to match the original victims, and not because they had some sort of connection, then the fifth victim was chosen because it was J's father; otherwise they probably would've gone after Ed. And if the victim was chosen for this reason in the present, could Nick have been chosen for this reason in the past, considering we don't know of any connection he had to Baslock, and if so, why did they want to kill J's father?

...wow, that paragraph of my questions turned out to be a lot larger than a thought.

tl;dr and non-spoiler version: I really like how there have been a bunch of crazy twists that I could have never dreamed of, and we know so much about what happened, but there we still have basically no idea as to the answers to so many of the basic questions of the case.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:26 am 
Admin
Admin

I think my favorite track in this game is what I'm affectionately calling Investigation Allegro, so I tried ripping the soundtrack myself.

... no dice. Got a bunch of Midi files and enough sound effects to build a synthesizer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:14 am 
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey

I feel like if it's taken you guys this long just to warm up to the game, it doesn't much seem to be worth it. Plus I'm really not feeling the comparisons you're laying down (I thought Time Hollow was very mediocre, and while I enjoyed Layton for it's charm, the puzzles didn't appeal at all).

Also, you guys keep going on about one or two twists, but I haven't heard anything to indicate that the characters and interactions are very interesting, which is really what I was worried about most coming from AA and dusk...

Anyways, I'll stop raining on your gaming party now. I'm still keeping one eye on this game for later...the price is bound to drop fast anyways, then I can judge for myself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:31 am 
Moderators
Moderators

ashogo wrote:
I feel like if it's taken you guys this long just to warm up to the game, it doesn't much seem to be worth it. Plus I'm really not feeling the comparisons you're laying down (I thought Time Hollow was very mediocre, and while I enjoyed Layton for it's charm, the puzzles didn't appeal at all).

Well, the beginning is really easy with not-that-great pacing. But I think just about everything in the game gets better as you play. Also, we weren't compaing how good Again is to how good Time Hollow and Professor Latyon are. We were comparing the investigation system in Time Hollow, and a puzzle in Again to a puzzle in Professor Latyon.

Quote:
Also, you guys keep going on about one or two twists, but I haven't heard anything to indicate that the characters and interactions are very interesting, which is really what I was worried about most coming from AA and dusk...

Oh, yeah, I haven't mentioned this, but the characters really aren't bland. There's a nice-sized cast, and everyone has their own little unique personality. Again, they are just tinted, but I think that really makes it more realistic. It's enough so that you couldn't substitute one character's lines with another's. However, I will admit that the interactions with the characters are not as deep as in AA and HD... of course, that's probably because in Again you aren't trying to also be a miracle worker :P

@Wooster: I was very tempted to call it that too xD

EDIT:
Spoiler: Investigation... um... I've lost track. The one after the dream sequence
Ed is Providence!? Whoa, that's crazy... If he's Hans' kid, that would explain the time difference between Baslock and Providence. I thought Henry could be Providence, as the FBI supervisor was a good place to make sure he didn't get caught, but it was also a good place to be Providence's copycat, if he did commit the first four present murders. But man, I thought Ed would be the victim and Henry the killer xD

Still, the fact of the matter is, Charles killed Sam, Isabella killed Charles, and Duke killed Isabella. How did Ed "do" it; it means that he was probably the one to kill Duke, but then why did he kill J's family? Hmm....

Anywy, in the vision of Henry's murder, I did think the killer looked like Ed, so I'm glad that was confirmed/refuted quickly :3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:56 pm 
Admin
Admin

Game win!

Gonna wait for Bad Player to catch up before I post my final thougts on the game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:41 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

D'you mean... you've (already?) finished the game?
So, how many hours did it take you to beat it? I know perfectly well it far from being as long as HD or LW, but I'm really curious... though, I'm pretty sure you'll have to add one hour or two to get the time it'll take me to beat it, when I finally receive it of course, stupid postman, blablabla.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the game, that's all that matters to me, in fact :p

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:23 pm 
Admin
Admin

L~A wrote:
D'you mean... you've (already?) finished the game?
So, how many hours did it take you to beat it? I know perfectly well it far from being as long as HD or LW, but I'm really curious... though, I'm pretty sure you'll have to add one hour or two to get the time it'll take me to beat it, when I finally receive it of course, stupid postman, blablabla.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the game, that's all that matters to me, in fact :p

Oh, I enjoyed it alright. And I think I've figured a thing or two out. Thinking back to the reviews that were posted earlier, specific references to in game events only went up to part way through case two. I'm not sure that I'm accusing the reviewers of not completing the game, but the game is quite below par up until that point. After that, the pacing, the plot, and the characters really pick up. (Particularly the plot twists <3)

But to answer your question about the length, I've just misplaced my DS, so Bad Player may be the one to give you that number. But doing some guesstimations, I'd say it's as long as Time Hollow, maybe longer then GS2.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:24 pm 
Moderators
Moderators

I'm trying to catch up, but this factory investigation is annoying!
Spoiler: factory
Why can't I use the large gear I found to replace the large gear that broke?! T_T

About game length... Well, I can't really tell you that until I beat it :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:36 pm 
Admin
Admin

Bad Player wrote:
I'm trying to catch up, but this factory investigation is annoying!
Spoiler: factory
Why can't I use the large gear I found to replace the large gear that broke?! T_T

About game length... Well, I can't really tell you that until I beat it :P

Spoiler: Hint for gear puzzle
It's a Red herring

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:19 pm 
Moderators
Moderators

Yes, I got it, that was annoying...

Clocked in at about 13 hours.

Anyway, you finished first Wooster, so you can post about the ending first.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:53 pm 
Suspect
Suspect

Could one of you guys who have beaten the piano puzzle either please post a major spoiler as to what keys to press or email me with the solution.

I have been stuck on the darn thing for over 4 days and it just isn't coming to me! and I have to get a review written for the game. I even wrote to tecmo and asked them for a walkthrough - something I never do - and they told me that not only didn't they have a walkthrough but that over reviewers had written to them and asked about the same puzzle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:20 pm 
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training

Custom Title: Hate is Bad :(
It's not too bad. It suffers the usual flaws that come up often in this genre. If you love these kinds of games they won't bother you much. The story is pretty nice. Personally, I love the game so far. The only problem I have is that after that first little twist in the initial investigation the rest of the story up to where I am has become extremely predictable. So I've been expecting a curve ball to be thrown my way.

Spoiler:
By initial twist, I mean the first victim being killed by the second. Right now I'm investigating the fourth victim's case. I suspect Henry of killing Burnett. He's sick, the killer was sick, he's going around acting all shady, it must be!

If you're interested in this game and money is a concern, perhaps you should find a way to rent it and see how you like it. But if you love Cing TO DEAS you could try to help them out of their financial troubles and go ahead and buy it.

RandyJA wrote:
Could one of you guys who have beaten the piano puzzle either please post a major spoiler as to what keys to press or email me with the solution.

I have been stuck on the darn thing for over 4 days and it just isn't coming to me! and I have to get a review written for the game. I even wrote to tecmo and asked them for a walkthrough - something I never do - and they told me that not only didn't they have a walkthrough but that over reviewers had written to them and asked about the same puzzle.

It confused me at first, too.
Spoiler:
Check the flower paintings. The color of the roses tells you which keys to press, and the leaves tell you the order to press them in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:58 am 
Moderators
Moderators

It may get a little predictable, but you gotta admit it was pretty crazy at the start :P There are also some more plot twists, although I think the first one is the biggest... Anyway, there still begs the question...
Spoiler:
If each victim killed the previous victims, how does Providence fit into the puzzle?

Anyway, IMO, the story is meh at first, but gets pretty good pretty quickly, then starts to lag a bit, but picks up in the end.
Spoiler: The end
I really didn't like the cliffhanger tho. But I already said I'd let Wooster post his ending thoughts first, so I won't go on :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next