Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 13 of 14[ 546 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Re: Characters you want to see in GS5 (maybe spoilers)Topic%20Title

<3

I'm always up for seeing Apollo and Trucy. I enjoyed their dynamic more than Phoenix and Maya to be honest, and I frankly think the Fey storyline wrapped up tightly and cleanly and I don't want more games about the Feys, much as I love...Mia. Mia was the only one I really took a keen liking to. Over the first three games I suppose the saturation of Maya-related cases and Pearl beating Phoenix and insisting he and Maya be together...It was like okay I get it, enough now.

I just want to see other characters shine a little more! I think Apollo and Trucy are splendid, and this is coming from a Feenie fangirl that was completely ready to hate Apollo's guts for simply not being Phoenix, but when all is said and done I really found Apollo to be a faster favorite than even Feenie.

As for other characters...I'd really like to see Kristoph, just to figure out what the black Psyche Locks were all about, or ideally even just Klavier to shed a light on why they might be there? But with Kokone's Scope coming into play I doubt the magatama will be too involved in gameplay, if at all.

Which brings me to Kokone Kizuki~! I'm very excited to see what kind of character she becomes! She's very expressive and I love her design and damn if she isn't smoking hot. <3

I agree that the Fey story is over and done with. T&T felt superfluous to me, anyway, cause it served no purpose than to explain the Fey clan even more. And I never really cared for the Feys beforehand. Maya can gladly appear for all I care, but I am sick of her getting kidnapped, thought to be dead, attempted to get murderer or getting tried for (attempted) murder. She can even be a static background character - like some of the TokiMemo Girl's Side 1 guys were in Girl's Side 2 - and I'd be just fine with that.

But I hope that they don't bring any more storyline about the Gramaryes. I think that the Gramary storyline is also explained enough - there were 4 Gramaryes, they were all a varying degree of morons, and have been reduced to half of their numbers. Trucy can appear, Apollo as well. But don't make a too big a deal out of them. I'd be happy if Edgeworth were to appear, even more if he were the prosecutor VS Phoenix again - but I wouldn't jump up and down and like it if Edgey became THE focus of attention.

As for Kristoph's black locks.... they were just his intense and steelhard pride that wouldn't allow me to find out that they came to be because he was simply way too prideful that his pride got hurt. Christ, what a baby that guy is...

C-A

I'd like to see the Feys return just to see what they've been up to all these years. Just because old characters appear doesn't mean they have to become the focus of the game. I mean, I'd just like to see how much Maya has changed in the 8 years since she became Master of Kurain Village. Also, seeing Pearl as an older teen (I'm guessing she would be around 17-18) would be pretty fun. For some reason I see Maya still being her goofy self but I think Pearl would be more mature like Mia was. I wouldn't mind seeing what other characters such as Gumshoe (Chief of Police? Chief Detective?), Edgeworth (Chief Prosecutor?), and Franziska (INTERPOL Agent?) have been up to as well.

I think it's obvious that Apollo and Trucy will appear due to the fact that their stories do not appear to have ended yet. I can see references to Kristoph being made, and it's possible that he can still be behind whatever plot there is from prison, similar to Morgan Fey in T&T. You have to imagine that he's still pissed at Phoenix and Apollo for what they did to him in AJ:AA. I'm uncertain about Klavier, but I could see him making an appearance to help Phoenix out similar to Edgeworth and Franziska in T&T. Pretty sure Ema Skye will appear as she seems to have taken over Gunshoe's position.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I strongly feel that bringing back a bunch of characters from the original trilogy would be a bad decision. A couple months ago I thought I would be fine with Edgeworth coming back, but now that I've thought about it more I don't think this should happen, at least in the sense of having him be the prosecutor. I think he could show up as a small cameo, maybe helping Phoenix out, but I'm sure when Phoenix and Edgeworth next face off in the court-room they are going to make a big deal out of it, and I don't think that should happen until GS6 or GS7.

Edgeworth and Maya are the only Original Trilogy characters I am ok making an appearance in the game, and only if it is a small cameo that helps the case along (like Maya is able to call someone who died to get info about the case or something) Don't make it revolve around Maya or the Feys.

On the other hand, I really want to see Trucy and Apollo involved heavily in the game, at least as much as Edgeworth and Von karma were in T&T. There are a lot of fans who like these characters or were introduced to AA by them and I don't want to see them just totally side-lined. That said, I'm not sure if Apollo should be playable. I think it would do his story more justice (no pun intended) to see it as an observer through Phoenix's eyes. I don't really feel any of the GS4 stuff needs to come up, except they kind of dug a hole for themselves by doing that whole "Don't tell them you're their mother" thing in the last game.

I think this game is (in a way) the closest thing we can get to a "reboot" in the AA series, as in if you take out the story connections, we have a "new" lawyer Phoenix and his new assistant, new gameplay, etc. I feel like it's going to be more of a beginning than a new development, and just like in GS1 Phoenix should take a more back-seat role to the crimes, cases, and resolutions. I can see Apollo/Trucy's story being in the same manner of Maya's in GS1, which was that Phoenix helped out and observed it but it wasn't as tangled around him as EVERY CASE was in GS3.

It's almost like a new season of a show, and they should focus mainly on new material, seconded by ironing out some of the issues from the last season (AJ) but don't bother spending time rehasing stuff that happened years ago in the original trilogy.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

<3

ADA McCoy wrote:
It's almost like a new season of a show, and they should focus mainly on new material, seconded by ironing out some of the issues from the last season (AJ) but don't bother spending time rehasing stuff that happened years ago in the original trilogy.

This. I couldn't have put it better myself, this is exactly what I'd like too.

But even later seasons of TV shows will occasionally feature characters that were introduced in earlier seasons.

My problem with AJ:AA was that these characters were completely forgotten about, almost like they never existed. I don't mind the introduction of new characters but Maya, Pearl, Edgeworth, etc. were simply too big of a part of Phoenx's life for them to just disappear without a trace. There were two, just two references to Maya in the entire game, and a cameo from Gumshoe in a mere flashback case. I felt myself become attached to these characters in the original trilogy, so them barely even getting a mere mention in AJ was disappointing for me. As much as I hate to say it, with the exception of Apollo and Trucy, none of the new characters introduced in AJ were all that interesting to me. That's not a knock on the new characters as much as it is to say how well developed and lovable the original characters were.

Familiarity is not always a bad thing.

TheIdioteque wrote:
But even later seasons of TV shows will occasionally feature characters that were introduced in earlier seasons.

My problem with AJ:AA was that these characters were completely forgotten about, almost like they never existed. I don't mind the introduction of new characters but Maya, Pearl, Edgeworth, etc. were simply too big of a part of Phoenx's life for them to just disappear without a trace. There were two, just two references to Maya in the entire game, and a cameo from Gumshoe in a mere flashback case. I felt myself become attached to these characters in the original trilogy, so them barely even getting a mere mention in AJ was disappointing for me. As much as I hate to say it, with the exception of Apollo and Trucy, none of the new characters introduced in AJ were all that interesting to me. That's not a knock on the new characters as much as it is to say how well developed and lovable the original characters were.

Familiarity is not always a bad thing.

The problem with bringing in more of the old characters is that they've been done to death in the other games. Now, all of the character-centric stories in GS2 and GS3 were awesome, so if they really keep bringing back characters it will ruin the impact of cases like Bridge to the Turnabout. It also becomes a problem in regards to the narrative of GS5. Imagine if after GS3, they had made GS4 with Phoenix. It would have either had to have been boring in regards to how involved the characters were to the cases or it would have felt like every case was trying to one-up the finale of GS3. Takumi wisely realized that all characters, even the best-written ones, get to a point where any more would be bad for the portrayal of the characters, and that point was at GS3.

I would agree with you that the characters in GS4 weren't as developed as the others, but then again they haven't gotten a trilogy of games yet. If you look at gumshoe in GS1, take out Rise from the Ashes, and compare him to Ema in GS4 you'll see that in some ways he was less developed than Ema was in the game.

Probably the biggest thing is, when you really think about it, do you really want more than a couple of the characters to come back? If, say, Maya came back in a big way, Pearl came back in a big way, Edgeworth became Prosecutor, Gumshoe was the detective, etc. it would basically be GS3 with a couple of extra characters. That means not a lot of new ideas or situations in the game. Essentially, bringing back the characters we love will make the game less interesting and less of a good game, which is the problem a lot of people had with AAI and GK2. As wonderful as it would be to see them, I think anyone who's story arc is "done" needs to either be gone or take a very small role, or else people like Apollo, Trucy, Ema, Kokone, and this new prosecutor will not get the chance to develop and become as loved as the original characters.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

ADA McCoy wrote:
Essentially, bringing back the characters we love will make the game less interesting and less of a good game, which is the problem a lot of people had with AAI and GK2.

I agree with you for the most part, except for this statement. It's not that bringing back old characters would make a game any more or less interesting. What matters is how they're entangled in this new plot. A few old characters only made cameos in AJ because they didn't fit well enough in the plot until Phoenix returned to being the protagonist. Likewise, since GS5 gives the role back to him, most characters from AJ won't fit well in Phoenix's story, aside from the comic relief characters that can be thrown in anywhere (as in, they have at least one important connection to the plot). New characters are always being introduced in every game; the question remains as whether a certain character is memorable enough to be reintroduced. If he/she/it is, then he/she/it has a chance. It's as simple as that.

And as for AAI and GK2, because they are essentially spin-off games, the production team had to work within limitations. Thus, many of the new characters suffered from a similar lack of development, especially those that cross into the sequel. And the sequel itself has a clear scarcity of memorable new characters - so clear that returning characters had more appeal just because they were better known. (Though admittedly, some characters that I found less than satisfying are more popular than I'd expect. *coughBakahikocough*)

And this I say as I play through these games for the second or third time for sweet nostalgia's sake.

On a side note, it's actually a better idea to leave production of a main game to another team for a certain period of time. (Takumi did take a break to work on Ghost Trick after all, and it turned out wonderful.) It gives the production efforts a wider and more diverse perspective, for better or worse. Even if some of the very interesting early dev ideas for GS5 were taken out, it whets one's hopes.

Am I the only one here who is excited more for Kokone than any other character known thus far? It may be because she has a personality similar to mine, so it could just be personal bias...
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:
Essentially, bringing back the characters we love will make the game less interesting and less of a good game, which is the problem a lot of people had with AAI and GK2.

I agree with you for the most part, except for this statement. It's not that bringing back old characters would make a game any more or less interesting. What matters is how they're entangled in this new plot. A few old characters only made cameos in AJ because they didn't fit well enough in the plot until Phoenix returned to being the protagonist. Likewise, since GS5 gives the role back to him, most characters from AJ won't fit well in Phoenix's story, aside from the comic relief characters that can be thrown in anywhere (as in, they have at least one important connection to the plot). New characters are always being introduced in every game; the question remains as whether a certain character is memorable enough to be reintroduced. If he/she/it is, then he/she/it has a chance. It's as simple as that.

And as for AAI and GK2, because they are essentially spin-off games, the production team had to work within limitations. Thus, many of the new characters suffered from a similar lack of development, especially those that cross into the sequel. And the sequel itself has a clear scarcity of memorable new characters - so clear that returning characters had more appeal just because they were better known. (Though admittedly, some characters that I found less than satisfying are more popular than I'd expect. *coughBakahikocough*)

And this I say as I play through these games for the second or third time for sweet nostalgia's sake.

On a side note, it's actually a better idea to leave production of a main game to another team for a certain period of time. (Takumi did take a break to work on Ghost Trick after all, and it turned out wonderful.) It gives the production efforts a wider and more diverse perspective, for better or worse. Even if some of the very interesting early dev ideas for GS5 were taken out, it whets one's hopes.

Am I the only one here who is excited more for Kokone than any other character known thus far? It may be because she has a personality similar to mine, so it could just be personal bias...

I actually agree with you about AAI. I've actually explained the reoccurring characters in AAI in the same way you did. I was saying that a lot of people had a problem with AAI for the same reason I'm worried about GS5, even though I didn't feel it was a problem in AAI personally.

I also think it's good for Takumi to not be involved this time, as he obviously doesn't want to be involved in Ace Attorney sequels anymore (or at least right now) If I'm not mistaken AJ was meant to be the last game (at least in his opinion) and the PLvsAA was put into production by the companies, not Takumi, who allowed it to happen only if he wrote it. I would imagine this is more about keeping the characters true to his vision than wanting to actively work on it.

While cameos from Original Trilogy characters are now possible, I still feel like unless they have a reason to be there they should avoid putting characters like Pearl, Gumshoe, Von Karma, etc. in. Maya and Edgeworth talk to Phoenix regularly no doubt, but other characters probably don't speak with him for months.
One reason why I like GS1 and GS4 the best is because they are very case focused, while the other games are a little more character-focused. That's fine for when you have a bunch of characters that need to be wrapped up, but once that happens they shouldn't neccesarily be brought up again for no reason. I think there's huge potential in GS5 to be more law-focused (ie not every case is about Phoenix, Maya, Edgeworth,etc) , which is I think what a lot of us found so appealing in the series. That's not to say that I don't want complicated characters and great personal stories, but I'm much more interested in new stories than something like "What's Gumshoe been doing in recent months?". That's just my opinion.

I think it would be interesting to know if the GS5 team is making an effort to develop the game to appeal to western audiences in order to gain some momentum again (Whether that's bringing back fan-favorite characters or making a game much more accessible to new fans I don't know) or if they are developing the game knowing that the series has always been huge in Japan and not thinking about western audiences.

ADA McCoy wrote:
One reason why I like GS1 and GS4 the best is because they are very case focused, while the other games are a little more character-focused. That's fine for when you have a bunch of characters that need to be wrapped up, but once that happens they shouldn't neccesarily be brought up again for no reason. I think there's huge potential in GS5 to be more law-focused (ie not every case is about Phoenix, Maya, Edgeworth,etc) , which is I think what a lot of us found so appealing in the series. That's not to say that I don't want complicated characters and great personal stories, but I'm much more interested in new stories than something like "What's Gumshoe been doing in recent months?". That's just my opinion.

Then we agree. GS5 should return the series to addressing the bigger questions - not like a satirical parody as the first game began as, but with a more profound moral story behind it. It's no longer about fighting against a highly corrupt judicial system; it's about confronting long-existing loopholes that pester this growing seed called "law". And through the characters, we can learn a certain perspective or two on what "law" really is.

And what Gumshoe has been up to in recent months can be explained in the credits, as it always has been. Fan-favorite characters don't even need to be involved in the cases; they can make brief cameos likewise in there if there's no room for them. It's also much easier this way for the dev team to focus on the cases at hand.

Quote:
I think it would be interesting to know if the GS5 team is making an effort to develop the game to appeal to western audiences in order to gain some momentum again (Whether that's bringing back fan-favorite characters or making a game much more accessible to new fans I don't know) or if they are developing the game knowing that the series has always been huge in Japan and not thinking about western audiences.

I have good hopes for this growing attention to the western audiences. "Yomigaeru Gyakuten" (Rise from the Ashes) was released as an "international" version in 2005 around the same time as PW:AA was first released. JFA and T&T didn't have as demographically diverse perspectives in their productions because they're direct ports of GS2 and GS3 from the GBA. But, GS4 was made with love to western pop-cultural references, even in the Jap version.

Capcom JP is perfectly aware of its international audiences, even if the primary targeted demographic will always be in Japan. Why else would there be an increasing trend of in-game characters arriving from overseas, esp. America? We now even have a defense attorney working under Wright who's from America, and she looks kinda like Lynne from GT. Seven was a cool guy in 999; maybe we could have someone like him too in GS5.

But I digress.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

ADA McCoy wrote:
I think he could show up as a small cameo, maybe helping Phoenix out, but I'm sure when Phoenix and Edgeworth next face off in the court-room they are going to make a big deal out of it, and I don't think that should happen until GS6 or GS7.

Somehow, I expet GS6 or GS7 to take place even further in time and Phoenix and Edge face each other again in their 50s. And they become like a new Edgeworth-Karma pair, except that Edge won't kill Phoenix.
I hope. *knocks on wood*

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:
I think he could show up as a small cameo, maybe helping Phoenix out, but I'm sure when Phoenix and Edgeworth next face off in the court-room they are going to make a big deal out of it, and I don't think that should happen until GS6 or GS7.

Somehow, I expet GS6 or GS7 to take place even further in time and Phoenix and Edge face each other again in their 50s. And they become like a new Edgeworth-Karma pair, except that Edge won't kill Phoenix.
I hope. *knocks on wood*

C-A

If we're going to go that way, when will it stop? Are we going to follow Phoenix into the nursing home and watch him Object to the lunch menu?
Serve the Story - that's one of my rules.
--------------
That wasn't an objection, honest! I was just pointing someone to the bus stop!

ADA McCoy wrote:
The problem with bringing in more of the old characters is that they've been done to death in the other games. Now, all of the character-centric stories in GS2 and GS3 were awesome, so if they really keep bringing back characters it will ruin the impact of cases like Bridge to the Turnabout. It also becomes a problem in regards to the narrative of GS5. Imagine if after GS3, they had made GS4 with Phoenix. It would have either had to have been boring in regards to how involved the characters were to the cases or it would have felt like every case was trying to one-up the finale of GS3. Takumi wisely realized that all characters, even the best-written ones, get to a point where any more would be bad for the portrayal of the characters, and that point was at GS3.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. It's like the mention of TV shows, some of the best shows still retain many of the original characters (at least the ones who haven't been killed off or anything). I don't think people watch a show like Breaking Bad, which has had the majority of the same cast since the beginning, and think "Man, this show has gotten crappy because there's too many old characters in it. They need to kill off a few and have an entire new cast". Hell, one of the best shows on TV was The Wire, which featured roughly the same characters even though each season had a different overall plot. Why is this? Because people love the characters. That's how it is with Ace Attorney for the most part (speaking for myself obviously). I think interesting stories can still be told with both new AND familiar characters.

Quote:
I would agree with you that the characters in GS4 weren't as developed as the others, but then again they haven't gotten a trilogy of games yet. If you look at gumshoe in GS1, take out Rise from the Ashes, and compare him to Ema in GS4 you'll see that in some ways he was less developed than Ema was in the game.

I don't know, I think Gumshoe had some good character development in Case 4 of GS1. Ema had virtually no development throughout the entire GS4 game except for becoming slightly more friendly towards Apollo. But I mean, compare Klavier's almost lack of development in GS4 to that of Edgeworth in GS1 and you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Probably the biggest thing is, when you really think about it, do you really want more than a couple of the characters to come back? If, say, Maya came back in a big way, Pearl came back in a big way, Edgeworth became Prosecutor, Gumshoe was the detective, etc. it would basically be GS3 with a couple of extra characters. That means not a lot of new ideas or situations in the game. Essentially, bringing back the characters we love will make the game less interesting and less of a good game, which is the problem a lot of people had with AAI and GK2. As wonderful as it would be to see them, I think anyone who's story arc is "done" needs to either be gone or take a very small role, or else people like Apollo, Trucy, Ema, Kokone, and this new prosecutor will not get the chance to develop and become as loved as the original characters.

Well obviously, this is simply a matter of opinion. One of the main reasons why I preferred AAI to GS4 was in fact the inclusion of older cameos, but also the game also had a set of good original characters as well. I still got to love new characters such as Kay Faraday and Shin-Long while being amused by older characters such as Larry and Gumshoe and I don't feel like their inclusion took away any screen time from the newer characters (the important ones at least). This is what I was hoping for GS4 to be, but with the exception of Ema, Winston Payne, Hotti/Hickfield, and of course the Judge (why does no one ever seem to complain about the same judge being in every game?), there was really no one from the original series that even had a mention (unless you count Mike Meekins' and Gumshoe's flashback cameos). And really, out of all the characters to possibly get a cameo, they picked Dr. Hotti???? I'm not saying that the older characters have to return and dominate the game's story, but I still don't want them to be completely forgotten about either. I mean, I'm not saying that I want Damon Gant or Godot to return as villains or anything, but at least a small reference to Phoenix's close friends would be nice.

Quote:
While cameos from Original Trilogy characters are now possible, I still feel like unless they have a reason to be there they should avoid putting characters like Pearl, Gumshoe, Von Karma, etc. in. Maya and Edgeworth talk to Phoenix regularly no doubt, but other characters probably don't speak with him for months.

I would think that, due to Pearl's close relationship to Phoenix and Maya, that she probably keeps up with Phoenix pretty regularly. Plus, I was thinking that Pearl and Trucy could possibly be close friends to them being the same age (if I'm not mistaken, both would be 17 in the new game). Not sure about Gumshoe. He does seem to have formed a friendship with Phoenix, but I would think that due to his loyalty to Edgeworth, if Edgeworth appears then Gumshoe will most likely be at his side. Franziska, yeah I agree with you on that. I'm not sure if she still has out for Phoenix or not. It seems that she's gotten over her losses, so maybe that shows that her story with Phoenix is over. Edgeworth obviously still has close ties to Phoenix and it would be interesting if they brought up the fact that Edgeworth is the only man to ever truly defeat Phoenix in court.

<3

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

YOU'RE NOT ALONE I AM ALSO SUPER EXCITED FOR KOKONE.

beterbomen wrote:
If we're going to go that way, when will it stop? Are we going to follow Phoenix into the nursing home and watch him Object to the lunch menu?

oh god I completely busted a gut laughing

TheIdioteque wrote:
Sorry, but I disagree with you. It's like the mention of TV shows, some of the best shows still retain many of the original characters (at least the ones who haven't been killed off or anything). I don't think people watch a show like Breaking Bad, which has had the majority of the same cast since the beginning, and think "Man, this show has gotten crappy because there's too many old characters in it. They need to kill off a few and have an entire new cast". Hell, one of the best shows on TV was The Wire, which featured roughly the same characters even though each season had a different overall plot. Why is this? Because people love the characters. That's how it is with Ace Attorney for the most part (speaking for myself obviously). I think interesting stories can still be told with both new AND familiar characters.

I would say you're last sentence is the big thing here. It all depends on if they are able to strike that balance of telling an interesting story and bringing back familiar faces. The worry for me is that the more original trilogy characters they bring back, the more the continuation of GS4's plot is going to get sidelined. You can only have so much in one game. It's not that I'm thinking "This show has gotten crappy because there's too many old characters in it", my thouht is "If everything about that characters has been wrapped up and you've been given a big finale, why would you bring them out again?"
I concede that little cameos don't make much of a difference, though, so I would be alright if Pearl showed up with Maya in one scene or something. I just don't want a bunch of GS5 characters being involved in cases, especially when the GS4 characters are just sitting there waiting to be used.

TheIdioteque wrote:
I don't know, I think Gumshoe had some good character development in Case 4 of GS1. Ema had virtually no development throughout the entire GS4 game except for becoming slightly more friendly towards Apollo. But I mean, compare Klavier's almost lack of development in GS4 to that of Edgeworth in GS1 and you'll see what I mean.

I agree with you about Klavier, but I don't about Ema. I mean, Gumshoe's big development in GS1 was that he began to like Phoenix, which wasn't that far off from Ema in GS1. The Gumshoe that we think of as "Gumshoe" didn't really develop until a bit into GS2.

TheIdioteque wrote:
Well obviously, this is simply a matter of opinion. One of the main reasons why I preferred AAI to GS4 was in fact the inclusion of older cameos, but also the game also had a set of good original characters as well. I still got to love new characters such as Kay Faraday and Shin-Long while being amused by older characters such as Larry and Gumshoe and I don't feel like their inclusion took away any screen time from the newer characters (the important ones at least). This is what I was hoping for GS4 to be, but with the exception of Ema, Winston Payne, Hotti/Hickfield, and of course the Judge (why does no one ever seem to complain about the same judge being in every game?), there was really no one from the original series that even had a mention (unless you count Mike Meekins' and Gumshoe's flashback cameos). And really, out of all the characters to possibly get a cameo, they picked Dr. Hotti???? I'm not saying that the older characters have to return and dominate the game's story, but I still don't want them to be completely forgotten about either. I mean, I'm not saying that I want Damon Gant or Godot to return as villains or anything, but at least a small reference to Phoenix's close friends would be nice.

As I stated above, I'm actually ok with small cameos from people like Pearl and Gumshoe (emphasis on small) as long as GS4's characters (Apollo and Trucy, no one else needs to, since Ema could be a smaller role and no one needs to see anyone else) are given as much if not more importance in the story.

TheIdioteque wrote:
I would think that, due to Pearl's close relationship to Phoenix and Maya, that she probably keeps up with Phoenix pretty regularly. Plus, I was thinking that Pearl and Trucy could possibly be close friends to them being the same age (if I'm not mistaken, both would be 17 in the new game). Not sure about Gumshoe. He does seem to have formed a friendship with Phoenix, but I would think that due to his loyalty to Edgeworth, if Edgeworth appears then Gumshoe will most likely be at his side. Franziska, yeah I agree with you on that. I'm not sure if she still has out for Phoenix or not. It seems that she's gotten over her losses, so maybe that shows that her story with Phoenix is over. Edgeworth obviously still has close ties to Phoenix and it would be interesting if they brought up the fact that Edgeworth is the only man to ever truly defeat Phoenix in court.

I never really considered him a "friend" to Phoenix, but I agree that if Edgeworth is there Gumshoe wil be too. I'm not against Edgeworth being in the game, but I do think that bringing him out as Phoenix's opponent would be a little anti-climactic. I mean, it's happened in 2 of the games already. As I said before, I would prefer them to hold off on using Edgeworth as an opponent until he's occurring less in the spin-offs and has gained a little bit of his mysterious, powerful nature. Since Edgeworth's presence was so heavy in GS3, the GK games,
Spoiler:
and even PLvsAA
, It's not going to have the same impact it would if he entered the Prosecutor's bench a few games down the road.

TheIdioteque wrote:
(why does no one ever seem to complain about the same judge being in every game?)

Because unlike Oldbag, he is annoyingly stupid in a different way that actually makes him lovable. Though, yes, in-game characters and fans alike tend to avoid him unless a trial is in session.

ADA McCoy wrote:
Since Edgeworth's presence was so heavy in GS3, the GK games,
Spoiler:
and even PLvsAA

Spoiler:
Edgey only had a cameo in the credits of PLvsAA, and it was a few lines spoken to someone assumed to be Nick. He keeps that pompous air that he had retained in GS2. It's really just fanservice.

Though, it is a widely accepted rumor that the intro animation to GS5 hints at a major role in the game for him. If so, he won't be making an appearance until the last case. Until then, someone can pass vague references to him at some point. Or, as some on these forums have suggested, it's actually Apollo on the phone, who's been assigned to a case that he needs Nick's aid with. Or, it could be someone else entirely and we're going to be second-guessing ourselves until the game is actually released this year.

The suspense is killing, to put it bluntly.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Or, it could be someone else entirely and we're going to be second-guessing ourselves until the game is actually released this year.

The suspense is killing, to put it bluntly.

You got that right. I was actually hoping we'd know a little more about the story by now. I had assumed it would come out in May-June of 2013 in Japan, which would mean more info around now, but I guess not. There's also that "animated short" - whatever that means.

beterbomen wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:

I hope. *knocks on wood*

C-A

Kchhyahahahahaha! :gant:
I can just see it happening!

:object: Obthenkshun! *CRACK* Ow! Nurse, I heard a crack...
:aliahands: Mr Wright, I keep telling you to not strike that pose anymore...!

C-A

CatMuto wrote:

C-A

In all seriousness, an old Phoenix wouldn't be that bad of an idea for like, the final game. (Not as old as you guys are talking about, but in like the 65-70 range). He comes back for one last case.

I doubt that Phoenix is going to stay a defense attorney to that age. He's only 34 in this game, but he's already gotten his golden wristwatch. And given his celebrity status at this point, he might as well retire early. Being a defense attorney is one of the most taxing careers a man can have, so it wouldn't come as a surprise.

Edgeworth and Franziska, on the other hand, can definitely go the distance. They've been through enough humility in their early years to handle whatever comes their ways later. Remember how Nick said he couldn't bear the stress to defend someone who he knows is guilty? He started having a breakdown multiple times throughout that case. And he never took another case thereafter where his client was guilty of the crime he/she was charged with (beside Ron Delite, but he's always a special exception). He may have changed a lot during those missing seven years, but we have yet to see how he'll do if something like it happens again.

...It's kinda sad to think about it in hindsight like this. Every defense attorney in the series aside from Phoenix, Apollo, and Kokone have faced rather tragic aftermaths - from being murdered to being blackmailed for 15 years to being imprisoned for committing murders. You'd have to wonder just what's in store for our main characters.

And just for the record, Phoenix will not be left in any old nursing home. Pearl wouldn't stand for it.

CatMuto wrote:

C-A

Haha!

Edgeworth, meanwhile, is sitting in a comfy chair nearby, sipping tea and reading the newspaper, and willfully ignoring the drama that is unfolding behind him.
--------------

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
I doubt that Phoenix is going to stay a defense attorney to that age. He's only 34 in this game, but he's already gotten his golden wristwatch. And given his celebrity status at this point, he might as well retire early. Being a defense attorney is one of the most taxing careers a man can have, so it wouldn't come as a surprise.

Edgeworth and Franziska, on the other hand, can definitely go the distance. They've been through enough humility in their early years to handle whatever comes their ways later. Remember how Nick said he couldn't bear the stress to defend someone who he knows is guilty? He started having a breakdown multiple times throughout that case. And he never took another case thereafter where his client was guilty of the crime he/she was charged with (beside Ron Delite, but he's always a special exception). He may have changed a lot during those missing seven years, but we have yet to see how he'll do if something like it happens again.

...It's kinda sad to think about it in hindsight like this. Every defense attorney in the series aside from Phoenix, Apollo, and Kokone have faced rather tragic aftermaths - from being murdered to being blackmailed for 15 years to being imprisoned for committing murders. You'd have to wonder just what's in store for our main characters.

And just for the record, Phoenix will not be left in any old nursing home. Pearl wouldn't stand for it.

I meant come back into the law for one last case. Although when I recommended that I had forgotten about how he just did that with GS5, so never mind because it would be too much. I wasn't thinking of "in a rest home" old person, but more like a "Old man Badass", where you're old enough to act like an old guy but are fit enough to go out and chase a dude. Like, imagine if in 10 years Tom Hanks played an old man. That's what I'm talking about, but as I said, it doesn't work now that I think of GS5.

I agree about Eldoon, Brushel, and Vera I think that there's a lot more that could be done with their characters. I kind of want to say Wocky too just because I liked his character, but he's kind of a limited character too. I definitely would like to see at least a cameo of Thalassa and Valant.

What did he do this time...?

dannierose wrote:
I agree about Eldoon, Brushel, and Vera I think that there's a lot more that could be done with their characters. I kind of want to say Wocky too just because I liked his character, but he's kind of a limited character too. I definitely would like to see at least a cameo of Thalassa and Valant.

I have this feeling that Brushel is going to return. Vera seems too connected to AJ to appear outside of a cameo. Eldoon... he could work.
I really hope we get to see Ema again. I never liked her character in AJ, maybe she could be different in AA5...?
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Characters that should definitely return:

Trucy: She's his daughter, so she really needs to have a bigger part than just being in his locket

Klavier: I think that Klavier in many ways should replace the role that Edgeworth had in JFA and TAT, in being a rival, and a friend. Although Apollo is not the main protagonist, he should at least have some sort of role in one of the later cases.

Maya: Maya is really quite a big part of Phoenix's life, and it would be a shame if they just referenced her and said she was off doing her thing in Kurain Village. I don't think she should pay a vital role, but should at least be in one case maybe as the defendant (again, I know) or as a witness.

Characters that I think don't need to return, but it would be nice if they did:

Gumshoe, Ema, Pearl, Larry.

And then comes down to the matter of Edgeworth: I really wanted Edgeworth to be in this game at first, but to be honest it's better if he isn't. He was prominent in the original trilogy but now I think it's time to move on.

That said, by the end of TAT he was a good friend to Phoenix and like Maya I don't think he's a character that they should just ignore, and I think it would be nice if they reference him or give him some sort of small cameo. If Edgeworth returns, it should be in a later game, And it will be a big deal when he does.

Characters I don't want to see return are just characters that I don't think are really relevant to the overall current plot anymore. Godot, I love, but he's in prision and his story is over. I don't think that Franziska is going to be necessary either, not when put next to other characters that should probably return. Also, I don't think that side characters from the first three games need to come up because what we really need is new characters to come in.

Quote:
Maya: Maya is really quite a big part of Phoenix's life, and it would be a shame if they just referenced her and said she was off doing her thing in Kurain Village. I don't think she should pay a vital role, but should at least be in one case maybe as the defendant (again, I know) or as a witness.

Quote:
I really wanted Edgeworth to be in this game at first, but to be honest it's better if he isn't. He was prominent in the original trilogy but now I think it's time to move on.

So you're saying it's better to remove the rival of Phoenix but keep in the assisstant that was also extremely prominent in the trilogy? That doesn't make sense. The entire story of the Feys was finished in that unnecessary game of T&T and shouldn't be opened up again. Maya is gone.

C-A

The two true rivals of the courthouse will meet again! I'm so pumped for Edgeworth. Now if they could only add Maya and Pearls...

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I really wanted Edgeworth to be in this game at first, but to be honest it's better if he isn't. He was prominent in the original trilogy but now I think it's time to move on.

So you're saying it's better to remove the rival of Phoenix but keep in the assisstant that was also extremely prominent in the trilogy? That doesn't make sense. The entire story of the Feys was finished in that unnecessary game of T&T and shouldn't be opened up again. Maya is gone.

C-A

Now, let me clarify something right of the bat:
I'm generally not in the "Maya Must Return!" camp. I liked her as an assistant, but I never developed as much of a liking for her as some other people seem to have.
However, I think there is some other part of this that should really be talked about, which is why I'm going to support their side for a moment here.

There is (in my opinion) one - and only one - reason why Maya should be making a comeback: the matter of closure. Sure, it's nice and easy to scream "Maya's GONE!", but stop to think about that for a moment and you see a gigantic plot hole, one I believe is partly responsible for why people are so demanding of her return.
Sure, by AA4 (AJ), a lot of things had changed, and Maya's disappearance was one of those things. However, it was never explained why she disappeared, or where to. You could say "She's in Kurain", but there's no evidence of that. She's never mentioned, and barely even hinted at (assuming the "Kid" Phoenix mentioned in case 2 was her). For all we know, she could be dead.
That's why her return is important. As pointed out, she was a big part of Phoenix's life, someone he'd run onto a burning bridge for. For her to simply disappear without even a goodbye is unacceptable. We need to know why she left, and where she's gone off to.

Now, I'm not an idiot. I know this point will likely have been made a thousand times already, probably even a few times on this very thread. So why am I bringing it up?
Because every time I see Maya being discussed, I see this issue being ignored in the discussion almost entirely. It's such an obvious point, that nobody seems to see any point in taking the time to discuss it.
And that's a shame, because it really should be discussed. It should be talked out and gotten to the bottom off, otherwise we'll keep dancing around the issue until the game comes out.
--------------

beterbomen wrote:
However, it was never explained why she disappeared, or where to. You could say "She's in Kurain", but there's no evidence of that. She's never mentioned, and barely even hinted at (assuming the "Kid" Phoenix mentioned in case 2 was her).

Even if there's no evidence, it's highly implied. This isn't like with Edgeworth during JFA, where Phoenix so stupidly and blatantly denied the former's existence over what was mistaken to be "betrayal". That behavior only condones Edgey's return all the more.

But Phoenix isn't being pissy in this game. He knows Maya is doing just fine and minds more important matters. Yes, she's a major part of his life, but her assistant days are over. She never had a strong foothold with legal matters besides indirect ties through her sister and Nick, and now that she's taken over the Fey Clan, she has even less ties with the legal world. She at least deserves a cameo and/or reference, but at most should take the role of plot-unrelated character.

And people were worried about Trucy being kidnapped or hurt in the bombing.

Quote:
Now, I'm not an idiot. I know this point will likely have been made a thousand times already, probably even a few times on this very thread. So why am I bringing it up?
Because every time I see Maya being discussed, I see this issue being ignored in the discussion almost entirely. It's such an obvious point, that nobody seems to see any point in taking the time to discuss it.
And that's a shame, because it really should be discussed. It should be talked out and gotten to the bottom off, otherwise we'll keep dancing around the issue until the game comes out.

We're still waiting for these kinds of details, and they most likely won't come out until the game does. So, I guess we'll have to continue to dance around. But believe me, every time someone questions why Maya hasn't been brought up is a time that someone is discussing it.

AJ was rushed and practically any character who wasn't Phoenix or Kristoph was not important to the game. So why would they even bother to let anybody else appear? Heck, they might sort of mention Edgeworth, same with Maya.

As for her story, I think it's done.
Maybe she returned to Kurain, but did she become the Master? I dunno, after all, she says in 3-5 that she wants nothing to do with the Fey clan anymore. So maybe she went back to stay with Pearl? Heck, I don't know and I don't really care. Just because she isn't mentioned or shown doesn't mean she's dead.
I haven't seen my classmates in years. Are they dead? I dunno.

C-A

Student-Artist-Ace Attorney Fanboy

My dream scenario would be to have either Pearls or Maya be in court with Phoenix, side by side one last time, possibly in GS5's last case. THAT WOULD BE EPIC. D:

But really what with Edgeworth being back, so far from the original trilogy only Wright and Edgeworth have been confirmed. And with there being a new detective, it seems unlikely Gumshoe will come back..

BUT, I'd definitely like to see Ema back. I mean her character didn't really have any development throughout GS4, but it'd be interesting if they away all the "forensic" parts of the investigation that they had with her. :/
Thanks to RandomJibberish for the sig!

There's a bit of a megaton hidden in a split-second frame in yesterday's AA5 trailer.

Spoiler:
Klavier Gavin's back. Also, so is PEARL FEY.

The Big Bad Wolf

Maya is the only character I want in GS5 that has not been confirmed yet.
CatMuto wrote:
As for her story, I think it's done.
Maybe she returned to Kurain, but did she become the Master? I dunno, after all, she says in 3-5 that she wants nothing to do with the Fey clan anymore. So maybe she went back to stay with Pearl? Heck, I don't know and I don't really care. Just because she isn't mentioned or shown doesn't mean she's dead.
I haven't seen my classmates in years. Are they dead? I dunno.

The reference to your classmates made no sense.

Maya wasn't just an acquaintance, or as you say, "classmate" to Phoenix. Phoenix regarded her as the person closest to him on multiple occasions, and they were clearly best friends. A person like that doesn't just stroll out of your life like nothing happened.
Spoiler: First Three Games
Considering Maya has taken a taser blow and gotten held in contempt of court for him, and Phoenix has ran across a burning bridge that he was completely terrified of and was willing to let a guilty man walk free for her, it's exceedingly clear of the bond they share. Those aren't the kinds of things you do for a "classmate".

With the reference to classmates, I was referring to 'Just because I haven't heard from them doesn't mean they are dead' The situation isn't identical with Maya, but you know... just because Phoenix doesn't constantly bring up Maya's name in every single conversation he has, doesn't mean that Maya is dead or completely out of his life.

Like I said, maybe Maya is busy being the Master of Kurain? What we've seen in 2-2 shows that medium in training generally have a very tight schedule in terms of training, with barely any time-off in between except in severe cases - like the death of a client and the following investigation. So perhaps Maya is busy and she had Phoenix have mostly been keeping in contact via letters? e-Mail? Heck, maybe GS5 will finally show its real futuristic setting and have them Twitter each other. (Or Facebook or Reddit or whatever the hell all this crap is called today)

If you want a Best Friend example in real life, my mother has a friend she's had for over 30 years now and they don't meet very often, they mostly just keep in touch over the internet. But she doesn't constantly talk about her.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
With the reference to classmates, I was referring to 'Just because I haven't heard from them doesn't mean they are dead' The situation isn't identical with Maya, but you know... just because Phoenix doesn't constantly bring up Maya's name in every single conversation he has, doesn't mean that Maya is dead or completely out of his life.

Like I said, maybe Maya is busy being the Master of Kurain? What we've seen in 2-2 shows that medium in training generally have a very tight schedule in terms of training, with barely any time-off in between except in severe cases - like the death of a client and the following investigation. So perhaps Maya is busy and she had Phoenix have mostly been keeping in contact via letters? e-Mail? Heck, maybe GS5 will finally show its real futuristic setting and have them Twitter each other. (Or Facebook or Reddit or whatever the hell all this crap is called today)

If you want a Best Friend example in real life, my mother has a friend she's had for over 30 years now and they don't meet very often, they mostly just keep in touch over the internet. But she doesn't constantly talk about her.

C-A

I think you're missing the point here.
I'm pretty sure that the people who were displeased with Maya's disappearance in AJ (apart from those who didn't like it because change is bad) weren't displeased because she wasn't brought forward in every single conversation, but because she wasn't mentioned at all. There was nothing in the game to explain her absence, nothing that gave us a clue to her fate.
Stuff like that tends to raise a few red flags; it makes people wonder what else we aren't being told.
--------------

Gettin' Old!

beterbomen wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

C-A

I'm pretty sure that the people who were displeased with Maya's disappearance in AJ (apart from those who didn't like it because change is bad) weren't displeased because she wasn't brought forward in every single conversation, but because she wasn't mentioned at all. There was nothing in the game to explain her absence, nothing that gave us a clue to her fate.
Stuff like that tends to raise a few red flags; it makes people wonder what else we aren't being told.

Well to be fair there is that bit in his hospital room when you examine the piles of Dvds he says 'a friend' sent him all those Nickel Samurai and Pink Princess DVD's so it's kinda a reference to Maya still existing.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Well to be fair there is that bit in his hospital room when you examine the piles of Dvds he says 'a friend' sent him all those Nickel Samurai and Pink Princess DVD's so it's kinda a reference to Maya still existing.

Pretty much that, yes. It's similar to how Phoenix was never really mentioned in AAI - always referrred to as He or That Guy and such.

C-A

Pierre wrote:
beterbomen wrote:

Not just "a friend"; he says "that kid". Now, I don't know how Cody and Penny have been, but the only other kid who is a fanatic of the Steel Samurai franchise and would visit Nick at the hospital would be Maya. It's almost as if to say, "If you're just going to idle around in bed for a while, then catch up with these DVDs!" Too bad Nick later signed himself out because he got bored (after watching through them all, of course).

Yeah, she's already an adult by AJ's time, but Nick will always see Maya as a kid. That outer child of hers is unstoppable.

CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Pretty much that, yes. It's similar to how Phoenix was never really mentioned in AAI - always referrred to as He or That Guy and such.

C-A

That's different. Phoenix was actually referred to - although not by name - to point out the significance of his connection to Edgeworth. Also, a lot of those moments occur in the main dialogue. Maya is even more important to Phoenix than Edgeworth, and she only gets a single line; a single, throwaway line as part of an unimportant, easily missed investigation line - one that isn't even clear who it's about. Quite the difference, there.
--------------

The cape is self-fluttering

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Pierre wrote:
beterbomen wrote:

Not just "a friend"; he says "that kid". Now, I don't know how Cody and Penny have been, but the only other kid who is a fanatic of the Steel Samurai franchise and would visit Nick at the hospital would be Maya. It's almost as if to say, "If you're just going to idle around in bed for a while, then catch up with these DVDs!" Too bad Nick later signed himself out because he got bored (after watching through them all, of course).

Yeah, she's already an adult by AJ's time, but Nick will always see Maya as a kid. That outer child of hers is unstoppable.

Phoenix said "that kid" in quotes, not simply that kid. It was Apollo who assumed a kid was sending the DVDs, and Phoenix was just playing along. It isn't clear that Phoenix sees Maya as an actual kid.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT
Page 13 of 14 [ 546 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps