Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 2 of 2[ 64 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Who will be the Detective?Topic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Little_Thief wrote:
Reimitsurugi wrote:
In summation, characterizations between the original and localized versions are different?

Actually, not in this case. I remember Ema telling Apollo to call her by her first name in Case 4-3, and I haven't played the Japanese version.

I was led to believe that first-name basis was saved for family and romantic partners more or less in Japan. Maybe that's too strict? As I highly doubt she and Apollo were that close.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

Pierre wrote:
Little_Thief wrote:
Reimitsurugi wrote:
In summation, characterizations between the original and localized versions are different?

Actually, not in this case. I remember Ema telling Apollo to call her by her first name in Case 4-3, and I haven't played the Japanese version.

I was led to believe that first-name basis was saved for family and romantic partners more or less in Japan. Maybe that's too strict? As I highly doubt she and Apollo were that close.

That's what Anime makes it look like, but really, it's not been like this for ages. Close friends can allow each other to adress them by their first names too. Which is why I see Ema's permission to Apollo to use her first name as proof that she *does* consider him a very good friend, just like Nick.

It's interesting that Trucy never gets on first name basis with Apollo in the game, though (She always calls him "Odoroki-san"), but that might be due to the huge age difference between them. I am sure, if she figured out that Apollo is her brother, she'd switch to alling him "Nii-san" or "Housuke-kun"... :yuusaku:

beterbomen wrote:
Little_Thief wrote:
Reimitsurugi wrote:

She does, but here (in the West) having someone tell you to call them by their first name isn't as big a thing as it is in Japan.
Is that about right, Neni?

Exactly. It's a meaning that got lost in translation, so I pointed it out. :ema:

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Last edited by Neni on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neni wrote:
Apollo was on last name basis with her for the entirety of case 4-2, but in the beginning of 4-3, she told him to drop it and call her by her first name. In Japan, my friends, this is a BIG thing. This is like saying "I consider you a great pal!" to someone.

:ack: Is he also allowed to not use any honorific? Cause if so, I can totally see why people ship Apollo and Ema, now.

C-A

Is Apollo close enough to Ema for her to share Snackoos with him...?

The cape is self-fluttering

Reimitsurugi wrote:
Is Apollo close enough to Ema for her to share Snackoos with him...?

Only against his consent.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

CatMuto wrote:
Neni wrote:
Apollo was on last name basis with her for the entirety of case 4-2, but in the beginning of 4-3, she told him to drop it and call her by her first name. In Japan, my friends, this is a BIG thing. This is like saying "I consider you a great pal!" to someone.

:ack: Is he also allowed to not use any honorific? Cause if so, I can totally see why people ship Apollo and Ema, now.

C-A

Ema doesn't specifically tell him to use honorifics, but he does anyway. For the remainder of case 4-3, she is "Akane-san" to him.

Interesting to note, Ema NEVER calls Apollo by his name at all. He's always "Anta" to her, from the first moment they meet. That kinda implies she doesn't feel the need to be polite to him at all, for whatever reason... :yuusaku:

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Last edited by Neni on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by サンドラ on Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neni wrote:
Ema doesn't specifically tell him to use honorifics, but he does anyway. For the remainder of case 4-3, she is "Akane-san" to him.

Interesting to note, Ema NEVER calls Apollo by his name at all. He's always "Anta" to her, from the first moment they meet. That kinda implies she doesn't feel the need to be polite to him at all, for whatever reason... :yuusaku:

I love Japanese, with it's honorifics and all...
Though for those of us that don't speak it, what exactly does "Anta" mean?
Serve the Story - that's one of my rules.
--------------
That wasn't an objection, honest! I was just pointing someone to the bus stop!

beterbomen wrote:
Neni wrote:

I love Japanese, with it's honorifics and all...
Though for those of us that don't speak it, what exactly does "Anta" mean?

It's not very respectful form of "You". Pretty much like calling someone "Hey, you, guy! I didn't bother memorizing your name, so I'm just gonna call you "Hey, you" now!" That's the vibe it gives off to me.

Can I just say one little thing?

Like many people say, Ema's going to make the game too easy, due to her relationship with Wright, but I think she's going to appear in AA5 anyway (cuz they love her from the moment she was created--I mean, she's in every game developed Rise from the Ashes! ...I like her too, actually).

I doubt Gummy will be the detective, too, 'cause he's already a central character in Edgeworth's games.

So I think it'll be a new character who has similar traits with the previous detectives, namely:

1) Isn't very fond of the protagonist at first

2) Has a big character or a unique gimmick (like how Gumshoe has a comically low salary and Ema's SCIENCE!! :scientific:)

3) And finally, not the best at what he/she does

Just my thoughts. :yuusaku:
:maya: "Hey, a ladder!"
:phoenix: "That's a stepladder."
:maya: "So? They're the same thing, Nick! You should stop basing your opinions on narrow-minded cultural assumptions!"
:nick: "..."
:objection:

Too bad. Waluigi Time.

I, for one, though implausible, would like to see Atmey as the detective. He'd still feel a little pissed towards Nick, but he'd mainly be focused on the murder stuffs.

BurdenOfProof wrote:
I doubt Gummy will be the detective, too, 'cause he's already a central character in Edgeworth's games.

Well this takes place in the future and Gumshoe was too part of the other earlier GS games as the detective, although I have to agree about the low chances of it happening; unless Egeworth is stuck overseas again I doubt his appearance would happen.

As for Ema she may have a chance to show up in GS5 but lets not forget that she mainly works for Klavier who was mostly made to be Apollo's rival. Not only that, he is juggling several cases at once so the probability for Ema to be the main detective aren't as high either, unless Phoenix will be up against Klavier in court...which also doesn't seem very likely to happen. For Ema to appear they'll probably have to end up pulling the same scenario with Gumshoe having to work with other prosecutors like Franziska or Godot due to Miles' absence. To me it seems like she will be stuck with the new generation(a.k.a. Apollo, Trucy & co.).

For detective Badd, as much as I would love to I don't see it as a possibility either. The idea of this detective messing up in his testimonies like the others doesn't look probable. As for the idea of a kid...after the KG-8 II incident Badd spent his time trying to find the killer and watch over Kay from afar when he could.

Maybe Ema or Gumshoe could at least get a small cameo, the idea of a new detective appears to be more probable to me. That's my two cents on it.

Last edited by mushin on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

You know what? What if the detective turns out to be... Mike Meekins?
He's always been talking about trying to get to Gumshoe's level, so maybe he finaly succeeded in those 7 years we didn't hear from him? (an unlikely idea, true, but we've seen wilder things happen)
In that case, it won't be any trouble making sure there are holes in his testimony.
Serve the Story - that's one of my rules.
--------------
That wasn't an objection, honest! I was just pointing someone to the bus stop!

I've felt worse.

beterbomen wrote:
You know what? What if the detective turns out to be... Mike Meekins?
He's always been talking about trying to get to Gumshoe's level, so maybe he finaly succeeded in those 7 years we didn't hear from him? (an unlikely idea, true, but we've seen wilder things happen)
In that case, it won't be any trouble making sure there are holes in his testimony.

If Meekins was the detective, Phoenix could enter court every day 100% certain his client is innocent...

I'm honestly hoping we get a new detective. As stated in the earlier comments, Ema isn't too passionate about her job, and if Gumshoe is working under Edgeworth, who heads the investigation, then all the defendants would be guilty, considering Edgeworth forces the culprit to breakdown before entering the court.

Perhaps Gumshoe will mentor the new guy.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Mystery Buster

It would appear we have a new Detective on our hands after all...

Spoiler:
Detective Gouzou Ban (番 轟三)

Shame, I was hoping for Ema again. Hopefully she's the Detective for Apollo's cases while this guy is the Detective for Phoenix's.
:gumshoe:
Just Gumshoe

Gettin' Old!

Detective Rossco wrote:

Spoiler:

Shame, I was hoping for Ema again. Hopefully she's the Detective for Apollo's cases while this guy is the Detective for Phoenix's.

Pfft Ema's a shameful detective.

That guy however looks amazing.

I love hot-blooded detectives.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

I've felt worse.

Pierre wrote:
Detective Rossco wrote:

Spoiler:

Pfft Ema's a shameful detective.

That guy however looks amazing.

I love hot-blooded detectives.

Well 1. Gouzou Ban is the detective when Prosecutor Yuugami is prosecuting. When Edgeworth is prosecuting, we have no idea yet. (though it will probably just be Gouzou Ban)
And 2. If Ema does return, then she'll have been a detective for a year and a half by now, as opposed to two months in Apollo Justice, so she'll probably be more accustomed to her occupation. And more competent.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I still think the best situation would be to have the new detective be the detective and have Ema be a forensic scientist you can go to to run prints and that kind of thing, but I doubt they will "split up" the jobs like that.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Fuuuuuuuudge! - Phoenix Wright

The new detective looks cool.

The butler is the culprit!

Detective Rossco wrote:

Spoiler:

He looks like a mix of Ken Rosenberg from Vice City and Kamina. Oh my god. :udgy:

キラキラ ♥

Oh wow.
"flames of youth" come to mind for sure!

100% whole grain, now with added fiber!

So this new guy's catchphrase is "Justice!"...fascinating. I can't wait to see him and Apollo in the same room.
ImageImage

ekree wrote:
So this new guy's catchphrase is "Justice!"...fascinating. I can't wait to see him and Apollo in the same room.

Considering Apollo's looks, I hope he'll go all Lloyd Irving on him and say, "Don't you dare put the word 'Justice' into your mouth! What do you even know about it!?"
Or similar, I haven't seen that particular scene in years, whether in english or japanese.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

ekree wrote:

I think I'm going to love this new guy.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 2 of 2 [ 64 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps