Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 2[ 64 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who will be the Detective?Topic%20Title

Mystery Buster

Gumshoe? Ema? Someone new all together?

Personally I hope Ema returns, while Gumshoe is my favorite character, I'm really hoping for SOME of AJ's elements to remain. It also be interesting to see how she treats Wright compared to how she treated Apollo.
:gumshoe:
Just Gumshoe
Re: Who will be the Detective?Topic%20Title

I'll be hoping and praying for Gummy because he's just amazing but I reckon it'll either be Ema or someone brand new.

If it's someone new, I hope it's a bloke. A hot rugged mid 30's to middle aged bloke.
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

No, I refuse to write anything...

I think it'd be fun if Ema (finally) becomes a forensics scientist and helps you in that field...then she can be the "assistant" of a completely new detective...I apologize in advance to any Gumshoe fans, but I didn't like him at all...this is probably the hatred speaking, but I hope he doesn't return...IMO... :sadshoe:
Some secret wait to be discovered...some never are...
Some secrets lay in the shadows...and Justice is the Light...

The cape is self-fluttering

.:looby:. wrote:
I'll be hoping and praying for Gummy because he's just amazing but I reckon it'll either be Ema or someone brand new.

If it's someone new, I hope it's a bloke. A hot rugged mid 30's to middle aged bloke.

I like your style, looby. Maybe it'll be a guy related to someone we know. *thinks* Hmm... do we know if Tyrell Badd had any kids? They could be around that age by that time.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

As much as I love Gumshoe, the idea of getting to use Ema's gadgets on the 3-ds sounds like a lot of fun. It just seems like the 3d would offer new ways to investigate.

Ideally, I'd like to see both of them. Maybe Gumshoe could be detective with Ema finally getting the job she wanted, as a previous poster mentioned.

Last edited by サンドラ on Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

I hope Ema finally gets into the Forensics department and won't leave her SCIENCE!! Lab anymore. But will be mentioned as being the one helping in the background, getting Phoenix some information. Cause we all know she'd do anything for him.... although I don't see why he did her such a favor. I mean, Lana is out by now and all, let it go already.

I wouldn't mind Gumshoe returning - hopefully with a decent salary now. But a new person wouldn't be too bad, either.... unless they turn Mike Meekins into the new detective who screws up even worse than Gumshoe did...

C-A

Mystery Buster

To the people saying it would be better for Ema to have the job she want's in forensics; wouldn't it be better if that was something that happened at the end of a game rather than something that happens off-screen. I could really picture a nervous Ema preparing for exams as an excuse for her to use her forensic equipment on the field.
:gumshoe:
Just Gumshoe

Detective Rossco wrote:
To the people saying it would be better for Ema to have the job she want's in forensics; wouldn't it be better if that was something that happened at the end of a game rather than something that happens off-screen. I could really picture a nervous Ema preparing for exams as an excuse for her to use her forensic equipment on the field.

I think you're right; that would be better from a story telling perspective. I was just trying to think of a way that they could use both Ema and Gumshoe- and having him as the detective with her as a forensics investigator seemed like a good way to do that. Although I feel as though we won't actually get much Gummy unless we get some Edgeworth too.

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Surely NOT Ema.

Sorry, if you're an Ema-fan, but I can't stand her. She's not even doing her job properly. All she did was munching snackoos and bitching about Klavier. Either way, she's not fitted to be a detective and I doubt she will return.

I think, either Gumshoe or a completely new detective. Male or female, doesn't matter for me.

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

I'm unsure as to who will be the detective nowadays. It could be Ema/Gumshoe while the other makes a cameo appearance.

Mary Faraday wrote:
She's not even doing her job properly. All she did was munching snackoos and bitching about Klavier. Either way, she's not fitted to be a detective and I doubt she will return.

Granted, we could say Gumshoe is just as bad as a detective - only time he really, really seemed to do his job was in 1-4 and that was because it concerned Edgeworth. Okay and in 2-4, but he was also semi-working with Edgeworth and Phoenix there to keep the trial going ....

Perhaps Ema will be a forensic investigator and be part of the still during a crime scene shot. And then, with her sprite still in the background, she'll be called forward by the detective (whether Gumshoe or someone else) to give some lab-reports.

C-A

Super High-School Level Galaxy Defender

A very disappointed part of me thinks it will be Gumshoe. As much as I like him, it's disappointing, because since Phoenix is back, the chances of the AJ crew being left out is VERY high, thus leaving us with: a) a very unexpcted cameo (unlikely) ; b) a new character (knowing Capcom, very unlikely unless he's the murderer in a case) ; c) the old crew (and I mean the WHOLE old crew).

And also, it would be very strange if Ema was the detective. Granted, she loves Phoenix and that would be a great excuse for him to investigate crime scenes, but she'd leak the entire case if she could. Also, the interaction between them would be too casual; I can't imagine Phoenix and Ema, on opposite sides, discussing about the case rather than about the amount of time it would take for a man to die jumping from Edgeworth's office.

Well, if it's Gumshoe, then I'll try to get re-used to it. But know who'd be an awesome "new detective"?

Tyrell Badd.

Gettin' Old!

Adrian in black wrote:

I like your style, looby. Maybe it'll be a guy related to someone we know. *thinks* Hmm... do we know if Tyrell Badd had any kids? They could be around that age by that time.

Tyrell Badd is so badass, he is everyone's father by proxy other men surrender their young to him in a contract signed at the hospital.

However I'm routing for Gummy or a new detective.

I'm optimistic and I'm going to say new detective because I believe they'll make another 'post AJ' game and will want a new recurring detective. Not that I'd object to Gumshoe showing up as like new detective's supervisor.
Older!Ema was horrible, while she's cooperative with Phoenix she's not someone I'd want to see again
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Although Ema has a nice character, I'm not inclined to think we need to see more of her (nor Gumshoe), so a new detective wouldn't come hard.

I like the idea of Ema being an actual forensic scientist. She could be like the ones in CSI and just be like a detectives sidekick. He does all the police stuff and she sprays Luminol on everything. Or just stay in the lab. I didn't hate Ema as a detective, just didn't like her half as much as Gummy.

Adrian in black wrote:

Ooooh, a younger version of Badd would be delicious so I'd love it if he was Badd's son!

Reimitsurugi wrote:
so a new detective wouldn't come hard.

Oh I say.
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

Quote:
I like the idea of Ema being an actual forensic scientist. She could be like the ones in CSI and just be like a detectives sidekick. He does all the police stuff and she sprays Luminol on everything. Or just stay in the lab. I didn't hate Ema as a detective, just didn't like her half as much as Gummy.

I'm not having a hard time picturing Nick going into the forensics lab for a couple of minutes to consult a professional over something about a victim's body. In reality, this professional turns out to be Ema.

The cape is self-fluttering

Beautiful_Blue wrote:
Detective Rossco wrote:

I think you're right; that would be better from a story telling perspective. I was just trying to think of a way that they could use both Ema and Gumshoe- and having him as the detective with her as a forensics investigator seemed like a good way to do that. Although I feel as though we won't actually get much Gummy unless we get some Edgeworth too.

Not necessarily. Edgeworth might just be out of the country again. (Remember he did that a lot in JFA and T&T. And possibly AJ-4, but since Capcom decided that none of Phoenix's friends existed anymore at that point, we'll never know.)
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

(Sp)ace Detective

As much as I like the bloke, Gumshoe has been in five games already. What he could use at this stage is a promotion and a raise, not more lugging around the crime scene while being the Prosecutor's Office's whipping boy.

Nor do I see Ema working well here: as previously mentioned, she's too close to Phoenix for their adversarial relationship to work (unless Edgeworth is the prosecutor again, then all bets are off :sawit: ). She could appear in the game in some other capacity though, perhaps leading up to her becoming the forensic scientist she always dreamed of being?

So... yeah. New assistant, why not new detective as well?
Read my fic(s)!
Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:
We have no dreams at all or interesting ones. We should learn to be awake the same way — not at all or in an interesting manner.

KingRaptor wrote:
As much as I like the bloke, Gumshoe has been in five games already. What he could use at this stage is a promotion and a raise, not more lugging around the crime scene while being the Prosecutor's Office's whipping boy.

Nor do I see Ema working well here: as previously mentioned, she's too close to Phoenix for their adversarial relationship to work (unless Edgeworth is the prosecutor again, then all bets are off :sawit: ). She could appear in the game in some other capacity though, perhaps leading up to her becoming the forensic scientist she always dreamed of being?

So... yeah. New assistant, why not new detective as well?

I concur. The relationship between attorney and detective is one of Defense Attorney Vs. Homicide Detective. It's like "I'm on my end, and you're on yours, but what binds us is formality".

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I think they should change the way the detective format works.

I think they should have a new character fill the "detective" role Gumshoe did, trying not to reveal info to Phoenix, reluctantly giving up info, etc.

Then we should have Ema in the forensic department or criminal affairs. Being a good friend of Wright's, she will unofficially reveal certain info to Phoenix that the detective won't. But she won't if she feels she could lose her job over the info.

So this mix of the traditional detective along with a friend would give us the best of both worlds.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Surf's Up!

Ema, although I hope she's a bit more cheerful than she was in AJ.

NinjaMonkey wrote:

Assuming she's still in the game, she'll be cheerful once she sees who's back with a badge.

Reimitsurugi wrote:
NinjaMonkey wrote:

Assuming she's still in the game, she'll be cheerful once she sees who's back with a badge.

Not to mention Klavier probably won't be in GS5.

VCM wrote:
Reimitsurugi wrote:
NinjaMonkey wrote:

Not to mention Klavier probably won't be in GS5.

He's either abroad studying music/law or visiting family.

Prolific Writer

Ema is a difficult case, because while I agree with others that she should go back into forensics, we don't really know a lot about her situation. Maybe she's grown accustomed to detective work, or perhaps she needs to save up money to take the forensics course again. Either excuse would be alright for her to be the detective again, but the latter seems more plausible. Seriously, every time you got to do forensics with her in Apollo Justice, her face lit up like a child in a sweet shop.

Besides that, why does it have to be either/or? Unless the detective has a major stake in the overall plot, you can have different detectives take different cases within the same game. I did that in my stories, and it worked out alright. Although if Capcom decides to go that route, they're going to have to get really clever if they introduce new characters. Otherwise, it might get very confusing very quickly. :meekins:

Also, if Gumshoe does appear as the overall detective or in just one or two cases, I contend that Maggey should be there as well. I really don't think Gummy should leave her hanging. :maggy:
Some call me eccentric. I call myself creative.
My Fanfiction
My Fan Trial, Spirit's Turnabout

Lynne. Nuff' said.
Just going crazy about GS5 being crossover between GT and AA. Don't think too much about it :minuki:

I really like the idea of Gumshoe returning. And Edgeworth along with him. But I'm going off-topic here.

I think he should be a lot more competent than he was in the original trilogy.

And I don't want Ema to be excluded completely, I think I like the idea of her retaking forensic exam and helping us along during investigations anyway.

I can understand Ema's characterization in GS4. She's like a grumpy kid that acts like that because they took away her lollipop (forensics). She took the course, flunked and got into the worst unit of homicide; precinct detective. Comparing forensics with the regular force, the former do their job, while the latter fail at it. Keeping this in mind and the fact that she failed on something that is her passion, the psychological effect would be enough to demoralize her a lot. It can be compared with today's situation; you prepare yourself for you dream job and there's no place where you can practice it. You either go abroad or do something else here.

I'm not certain if this is the case in Japan as well, but I've read that in the United States it's actually quite common for forensic scientists to be cops first. They retire from crime scenes when they become burned out, so to say, and move to the lab where they don't need to deal with the stress of homicide. While there are people who go directly to the crime lab as civilians, it's easier for a policeman to go into forensics if they're qualified because they're already well acquainted with the system.

With this in mind, I thought it would be great if Ema could stick with detective work for a while and then graduate to forensics once it became obvious she was getting more serious about her work. It would allow her to be the series detective while reaching her dream job in the end. And I'll be frank, I would prefer AA5's detective to be Ema; I love Gumshoe, but he's already had a long, meaty run, and he's a very static character. There's still plenty of room for Ema's character to develop.

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

I'm going to say it's Ema again, for a simple reason:

Yamazaki and Eshiro LOVE Ema. I am not kidding, they really do. In fact, I can recall at least one interview where Yamazaki made a comment how much he'd love to be able to write adult Ema just once.

Ema was the original protagonist for AAI and it was only changed to Edgeworth because of popularity polls. She's one of the most popular characters in GS in Japan nevertheless and she was shoved into both, AAI and GK2 for little reason, even though it was unlikely for her to even be present in both instances.

This is AJ Era. They wouldn't pass up on such a great opportunity to use Ema in each and every case with a good reason, believe me. They'd probably rather eat at Tres Bién...Scientfically speaking. :ema:

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

I love Ema as well, so I really hope she will be the Detective.

Well, Ema's the most likely one, but let's remember her interactions with Phoenix are going to be VERY different than with Apollo. She'd probably leak the entire case.

VCM wrote:
Well, Ema's the most likely one, but let's remember her interactions with Phoenix are going to be VERY different than with Apollo. She'd probably leak the entire case.

Not if she works for a Prosecutor she feels she owes something or who could easily ruin her career and block her from becoming a forensic forever this time around... We will see.

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Neni wrote:
VCM wrote:

Not if she works for a Prosecutor she feels she owes something or who could easily ruin her career and block her from becoming a forensic forever this time around... We will see.

Unless the prosecutor is Edgeworth, I don't think she gives a hoot. She hates her job anyway, and we all know how the PW World Police Force (TM) is capable of firing their finest detectives without any reason and giving the incompetent ones free reign to screw up as many times as needed.

Scientifically speaking, Ema's investigations would look fantastic on the 3DS.

Prolific Writer

VCM wrote:
Neni wrote:
VCM wrote:

Unless the prosecutor is Edgeworth, I don't think she gives a hoot. She hates her job anyway, and we all know how the PW World Police Force (TM) is capable of firing their finest detectives without any reason and giving the incompetent ones free reign to screw up as many times as needed.

I highly doubt Ema hates her job that much. In fact, most of her complaining was because of her boss (the glimmerous fop), not because of her position. Like I said before, we really don't know what her situation is.

As for interaction with Phoenix, I think it would go a little something like this:

:think-pw: So, Ema. What can you tell me about the case so far?

:sassy: Sorry, Mr. Wright. I'm not supposed to talk about it.

:phoenix: *Presents fingerprint powder*

:scientific: You know me too well. *Allows Phoenix to help investigate*

So in other words, it might not be that different from her interaction with Apollo. She'd be a lot more respectful, but I don't think she'd give Phoenix the answers until he gives her what she wants: A chance to show off her true talents.
My Fanfiction

Little_Thief wrote:

I highly doubt Ema hates her job that much. In fact, most of her complaining was because of her boss (the glimmerous fop), not because of her position. Like I said before, we really don't know what her situation is.

As for interaction with Phoenix, I think it would go a little something like this:

:think-pw: So, Ema. What can you tell me about the case so far?

:sassy: Sorry, Mr. Wright. I'm not supposed to talk about it.

:phoenix: *Presents fingerprint powder*

:scientific: You know me too well. *Allows Phoenix to help investigate*

So in other words, it might not be that different from her interaction with Apollo. She'd be a lot more respectful, but I don't think she'd give Phoenix the answers until he gives her what she wants: A chance to show off her true talents.

Exactly. In fact, the japanese Version of AJ made it very clear that she considered Apollo her friend just as much as Phoenix. Apollo was on last name basis with her for the entirety of case 4-2, but in the beginning of 4-3, she told him to drop it and call her by her first name. In Japan, my friends, this is a BIG thing. This is like saying "I consider you a great pal!" to someone.

In summation, characterizations between the original and localized versions are different?

Prolific Writer

Reimitsurugi wrote:
In summation, characterizations between the original and localized versions are different?

Actually, not in this case. I remember Ema telling Apollo to call her by her first name in Case 4-3, and I haven't played the Japanese version.
My Fanfiction

Little_Thief wrote:
Reimitsurugi wrote:

Actually, not in this case. I remember Ema telling Apollo to call her by her first name in Case 4-3, and I haven't played the Japanese version.

She does, but here (in the West) having someone tell you to call them by their first name isn't as big a thing as it is in Japan.
Is that about right, Neni?
Serve the Story - that's one of my rules.
--------------
That wasn't an objection, honest! I was just pointing someone to the bus stop!
Page 1 of 2 [ 64 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps