Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 2[ 51 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

What would you expect of a console version of AATopic%20Title

A friend of mine brought up an interesting question: What would a console version of an Ace Attorney game look and feel like?

By the way, the WiiWare version of the AA games don't count.

Personally I think that bringing in the 3D aspects that were in LA Noir to the Ace Attorney universe would be really cool. Although what could be done differently in court, I have no idea.

Thoughts?
Re: What would you expect of a console version of AATopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Don't think it'd be as good. I think the standard for visual novels over here is to be portable. Be it on iPad or DS or even a few on PSP I've most often heard of them on something you can carry around with you. That's part of the draw I guess, imagine being confined to one room to read a novel in. I just don't think it's worthwhile on consoles.

Sure there were loads of visual novels on PC, especially in Japan I think, but I think it's a dying trend.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

High level play

Pierre wrote:
Don't think it'd be as good. I think the standard for visual novels over here is to be portable. Be it on iPad or DS or even a few on PSP I've most often heard of them on something you can carry around with you. That's part of the draw I guess, imagine being confined to one room to read a novel in. I just don't think it's worthwhile on consoles.

Agreed.
In addition to that, you wouldn't need the extra power provided by consoles. You could upgrade the visuals but the gameplay itself demands very little from the system it's using.
Expanding the game itself also wouldn't be a good idea. Consider how long production currently is plus localization I wouldn't want to see that wait grow any longer.

So basically if you were to make a 'normal' Ace Attorney game for a console you would be limiting yourself and your customers.
Ace Attorney is just fine within the handheld market.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

The Real Human Being

adit2789 wrote:
A friend of mine brought up an interesting question: What would a console version of an Ace Attorney game look and feel like?

By the way, the WiiWare version of the AA games don't count.

Personally I think that bringing in the 3D aspects that were in LA Noir to the Ace Attorney universe would be really cool. Although what could be done differently in court, I have no idea.

Thoughts?

While I agree that Ace Attorney is amazing the way it is now. I also believe it would be a mistake for it to remain this way for all time. Like any franchise on the planet, AA should take some risks and change. I admit I'm not entirely sure what those changes would look like, but I can't deny the fact that it would be so cool to see if capcom could pull off a console version of Ace Attorney.

They could bring all the gameplay elements they have created back and combine them into one game (i.e Magatama, Apollo's bracelet, scientific investigation, etc).

Deputy of Self-Esteem

I'd guess a console version of Ace Attorney would ultimately be like GS123HD, or the 3DS games… but on a TV instead of in your hands. (Arguably you could have it on the TV if you hold the iDevice in landscape mode and enabled AirPlay Mirroring)

My thoughts are, like Fire Emblem, AA's gameplay lends itself very well to the pick up and put down gameplay that's ideal for portables. Sure you could put it on a TV, but what would it gain?

Also, consider the barrier in technology isn't near as great as it used to be between the console and portable versions. (Compare DS-Wii, GBA-Cube, GBC-N64, GB-SNES+NES) These days you can have a perfectly nice game on the portables as you can on the console.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

The same but bigger. I don't like change D8
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

Super High-School Level Galaxy Defender

Graphic novels are named "novels" for a reason. They were mostly designed to be as close to a novel as a game can be, and as such, are more suited for portable games, unless you read, say, Harry Potter on a blackboard instead of a book.

I do agree that some franchises need the leap to 3D and consoles, but not all of them, and Ace Attorney is a very good example of that. It's like putting Kuru Kuru Kururin on WiiU. It messes up with the essence of the game.

The only (VERY) arguable example of a graphic novel that went to a console and somewhat flourished was Trauma Center, and I'm pretty sure that it's wayyyyy more of an action game than a graphic novel despite all the dialogue. And if Ace Attorney were to introduce a bunch of action in-between dialog, well, many people wouldn't agree with it, mainly because they somewhat tried it with AJ and it didn't go so well.

High level play

Oh I just though of something!

Though I dont have it and consider the thing as a waste of money, what about motion controls?

- Investigations could become completely interactive. Picking up stuff and turning it over to examine it, stuff like that.
- Pointing to people and shouting: Objection! (or Take that / Hold it)

It could even be ported to kinect or ps move. My only worry would be whether the controls would be really responsive and if the pace of the game won't get slowed down any further.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Well, the Wii versions do contain the option of doing an Objection by doing the pose.
A console version, meh. Never interested me much.

C-A

What did he do this time...?

Sjibbey wrote:
Oh I just though of something!

Though I dont have it and consider the thing as a waste of money, what about motion controls?

- Investigations could become completely interactive. Picking up stuff and turning it over to examine it, stuff like that.
- Pointing to people and shouting: Objection! (or Take that / Hold it)

It could even be ported to kinect or ps move. My only worry would be whether the controls would be really responsive and if the pace of the game won't get slowed down any further.

You're basically explaining how the Wii Ware version works. Pointing the wiimote makes an objection and in case 1-5, you can rotate the wiimote to look at the evidence closer. It was very gimmicky.
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Kinda redundant if you ask me. Ace Attorney was specifically developed with the handheld game market in mind. The Wii versions were alright, but it baffles me that Capcom did not improve the resolution for the games. They were pretty rushed ports in my opinion. The best platform for these games are on DS (I guess its 3DS now) and iPhone. iPhone is great because it allows these games to be widely accessible for everyone at a low price.

Gettin' Old!

If you really want a deep gripping storytelling experience on a console those are out there.

Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead series are apparently really good and they are more adventure games than anything else.

It's just for visual novels exclusively it doesn't seem really worthwhile on console.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Je voudrais une anana, s'il vous plait.

Pierre wrote:
If you really want a deep gripping storytelling experience on a console those are out there.

Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead series are apparently really good and they are more adventure games than anything else.

It's just for visual novels exclusively it doesn't seem really worthwhile on console.

They honestly are both some of the best games.
Heavy Rain is considered one of the best games of 2011...and probably beyond because it's unique.
It's called an interactive movie game because..well yeah, that's obvious. I'm pretty sure The Walking Dead is the same.

Anyways, to the original topic,
I know we aren't talking about the WiiWare versions but the only benefit I can think of with it being on a console is that you get to swing your controller, if you're feeling really bold and be all:
:objection:

but that's pretty much the only plus point...
"Dilon mein tum apne betabiyaan leke chal rahe ho, toh zinda ho tum..."
"If you carry impatience in your heart, you are alive..."

Ok, I'm probably going to hit my head with this really bad, but... I think we're missing one rather obvious perk that a console version could (but probably won't) have: Extra length. I don't know how much data difference in capacity there is between dvd's and cartridges, but just imagine if AA games (or Ghost Trick, for that matter) could be made longer. With a maximum of 5 cases for each game, there's not that much space to develop much of a story beyond that which spans for that case. But, if there was more game to space it out in, there'd be time for things to sink in, or to be set up and paid off with more suspence and mystery in between.

While writing this, I realize that this was the reason I enjoyed Ghost Trick's story so much more than any of the main stories from the AA games. Rather than focussing on multiple unconnected stories, trying to weave one through all of them, Ghost Trick only had one story that spanned the whole game, allowing it to draw the mystery out. Revelations came in small amounts, and often raised more questions than answers, which the audience would then be left to sit and ponder for a while, before comming back to them to confuse us again. It could do that because it had the time to work out the story, and room to develop it in.
By its nature, AA cannot devote itself to one story that much, as it has to focus most of it's attention on the story of the case at hand, and in the end isn't left with much time to work out the main story in. However, with more time, more cases, this time would be extended, giving the game more time to work everything out in.

[/captainobvious]
Serve the Story - that's one of my rules.
--------------
That wasn't an objection, honest! I was just pointing someone to the bus stop!

Building on that point. A second advantage of a console version would be the potential for DLC. Instead of waiting years and years to get an AA fix, Capcom could release individual cases to bridge the gap between games.

Gettin' Old!

adit2789 wrote:
Building on that point. A second advantage of a console version would be the potential for DLC. Instead of waiting years and years to get an AA fix, Capcom could release individual cases to bridge the gap between games.

DLC exists on current platforms though.

In fact PL vs AA is going to have a DLC case I'm pretty sure.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

While I can agree that AA's well suited to an episodic download format, I don't agree that making the game longer would automatically give the games more cohesive plots. Isn't Ghost Trick the same length as the average AA game anyway?
Besides, it's not like AA games don't have cohesive plots to begin with, they're usually just more focused on exploring characters than disentangling some vast web of conspiracy, although from what I understand GK2 pulls of the vast conspiracy thing fairly well.

Really, the only benefit to making the jump to consoles would be beefed-up graphics and voice acting, neither of which seem terribly exciting to me.

1000% Knight

The only reason I'd want AA on a console was if it would be able to longer. I'm talking at least 10 cases here. Each of which is progressively longer/more complex. And the fifth case of which is equivalent to current fifth cases.

One thing that would've been kinda annoying on the Wii would be not having a separate screen for the CR and for the current testimony like we have on the DS, but that obviously wouldn't be a problem on the WiiU.

Also, going back a bit in the convo, 428 is supposed to be a really good (Japanese-only) VN for the Wii.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I think there's no point bringing the style of the normal AA games to the console, although I could see an all-new, totally revamped Investigations sequel.

I'd say focus on an actual police officer, like Ema (Gumshoe couldn't really work unless you wanted a game where you screwed up all the time) or whoever the GS5 cop is. Someone earlier mentioned L.A. Noire and I'd say a control system similar to that would work really well. I didn't care for the interview/interrogation system in that game so maybe something new could be used there. Forensics could be done with the Wii U gamepad. Cameos of famous PW characters could be incorporated in small areas (ie. during the case you might have to consult the Gavin Prosecutor on what to do or at the end of the case see the guy on trial with Apollo as his counsel.)
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

I'm kind of hoping for a console Ace Attorney game with the release of the Wii U. It's the only console that would make it feel like an actual AA game but at the same time could add so much more to it. Maybe GS6 will be console? Or possibly another spin off title?

I would love to see an AAI title on Wii U. In my mind AAI would make more sense than the main series, considering the heavy focus on investigations. If they ever bring any AA or AAI title to the Wii U I would love to see a new gameplay system that combines Apollo's perception ability with the mood matrix so that you are reading facial expressions and body language to get witnesses to talk.

adit2789 wrote:
I would love to see an AAI title on Wii U. In my mind AAI would make more sense than the main series, considering the heavy focus on investigations. If they ever bring any AA or AAI title to the Wii U I would love to see a new gameplay system that combines Apollo's perception ability with the mood matrix so that you are reading facial expressions and body language to get witnesses to talk.

With the way the Wii U is right now, it's never going to happen. I hope this changes in the next year or so, but Nintendo is in pretty big trouble as much as I love them and their games.

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
adit2789 wrote:

With the way the Wii U is right now, it's never going to happen. I hope this changes in the next year or so, but Nintendo is in pretty big trouble as much as I love them and their games.

It's always possible that an AA console spin-off could be on another system, like the PS4 or Xbox One. Of course whether it would come to the states is another matter.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Quote:
It's always possible that an AA console spin-off could be on another system, like the PS4 or Xbox One. Of course whether it would come to the states is another matter.

Microsoft and Sony seem to be ignoring Japan for the most part this time around. I'd love to see a REAL and PROPER HD version of Ace Attorney with voice acting and maybe even high quality 3D sprites, but it's not going to happen. Maybe in Japan, but that's even slim. Console visual novels simply can't work in today's Western market. It's all about heavy action games. Reading through tons of text and making the occasional decision won't be appealing to many people. I highly doubt we'll ever see AA on anything else other than 3DS and phones.

beterbomen wrote:
I think we're missing one rather obvious perk that a console version could (but probably won't) have: Extra length. I don't know how much data difference in capacity there is between dvd's and cartridges, but just imagine if AA games (or Ghost Trick, for that matter) could be made longer.

Capacity isn't and never was an issue.

beterbomen wrote:
Ok, I'm probably going to hit my head with this really bad, but...

Yep. :edgy:

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Quote:

Microsoft and Sony seem to be ignoring Japan for the most part this time around. I'd love to see a REAL and PROPER HD version of Ace Attorney with voice acting and maybe even high quality 3D sprites, but it's not going to happen. Maybe in Japan, but that's even slim. Console visual novels simply can't work in today's Western market. It's all about heavy action games. Reading through tons of text and making the occasional decision won't be appealing to many people. I highly doubt we'll ever see AA on anything else other than 3DS and phones.

I actually think if there was an AA spin-off on a console it would be a more action-y game. Or it would at least be different than the DS games. After all, if it's not substantially different from its brothers, why not just release it on the 3DS?

I'd say if they were to make an AA console game it wouldn't be a visual novel and it wouldn't be about the main characters necessarily.
I always thought an action-adventure open world game where you play Ema, Gumshoe, and the cops would be cool.

Quote:
I actually think if there was an AA spin-off on a console it would be a more action-y game. Or it would at least be different than the DS games. After all, if it's not substantially different from its brothers, why not just release it on the 3DS?

I'd say if they were to make an AA console game it wouldn't be a visual novel and it wouldn't be about the main characters necessarily.
I always thought an action-adventure open world game where you play Ema, Gumshoe, and the cops would be cool.

That wouldn't be Ace Attorney. If you want that, play L.A. Noire or the upcoming Murdered: Soul Suspect. Asking Ace Attorney to be like that is blasphemy in my opinion.

Personally, I would trust Capcom not to screw it up by making a console version too action-y. I think people would be more than happy to accept the visual novel format, assuming the technology of the console is utilized properly. Utilizing the 3D perspective (without the 3DS tech) in every aspect of AA would (in my mind) yield great results. Just consider things like the angle at which you view the crime scene could be important, or the ability to look on top of or beneath or behind a piece of furniture to find evidence. That would make the game great.

Admittedly the game, if done improperly, can become a disaster, but i see a lot of potential if they do it right

Eh?

I'm not sure really. If it is going to be in visual novel format then there is really is no point of having the added power of a console. In my opinion why not change it up a bit, try something new for the series?

For the investigations imagine having direct control of the character, moving them around, examining, picking up objects and moving them elsewhere, talking to people. Essentially an open world to explore for evidence and with witnesses to examine in multiple different locations.

The courtroom scenes I'm not sure how to change. Perhaps utilize a greater variety of camera angles?

Really deviated I know but I like to see series try different things every now and then.

Apollon Flame

What I would expect from a console GS/K? Hmm...

+ Voice acting EVERYWHERE
+ HD grapics
+ Orchestrated soundtrack
+ Full body renders everywhere
+ You can see everybody in the scene
+ Lip sync
+ Forensics investigations are back
+ Evidence in 3D
+ Four to five cases
+ Long, but fun cases
+ Anime cutscenes
+ Only tell the first case's culprit
+ The option to turn off voice acting
+ Obvious pairing hints
A King

in name

alone...

You know, a Mario game!

Scent wrote:
What I would expect from a console GS/K? Hmm...

+ Voice acting EVERYWHERE
+ HD grapics
+ Orchestrated soundtrack
+ Full body renders everywhere
+ You can see everybody in the scene
+ Lip sync
+ Forensics investigations are back
+ Evidence in 3D
+ Four to five cases
+ Long, but fun cases
+ Anime cutscenes
+ Only tell the first case's culprit
+ The option to turn off voice acting
+ Obvious pairing hints

Those ideas are AWESOME, man! Most of the things in that list are already in the portable games, but the ones I've put in bold I think are really good ideas!
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Apollon Flame

dimentiorules wrote:
Most of the things in that list are already in the portable games,

That's what I'm saying: a lot of the Megami Tensei games are 75%-100% fully voiced (and we're talking about portable ones like Devil Survivor Overclocked and SMT IV).
A King

in name

alone...

You know, a Mario game!

Scent wrote:
dimentiorules wrote:
Most of the things in that list are already in the portable games,

That's what I'm saying: a lot of the Megami Tensei games are 75%-100% fully voiced (and we're talking about portable ones like Devil Survivor Overclocked and SMT IV).

Don't forget that the voice acting in the anime cutscenes in dual destinies really wasn't that good. To me, it felt like playstation 1 level voice acting, especially Edgeworth, who's voice was WAY too deep, and Klavier, who should've had a german accent. Phoenix was the only character who's voice I actually liked.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Apollon Flame

dimentiorules wrote:
Don't forget that the voice acting in the anime cutscenes in dual destinies really wasn't that good. To me, it felt like playstation 1 level voice acting,

I wouldn't go to the extremes is to call its quality that, but yeah, it wasn't good nor bad, just "Meh, could have been better".

dimentiorules wrote:
especially Edgeworth, who's voice was WAY too deep,

It was a little too deep, yeah, but since we've accustomed to the tone of his objection, hold it, take that and eureka, it's to be expected. But I, personally, think it fit him.

dimentiorules wrote:
and Klavier, who should've had a german accent.

I can't find what he said in that scene, but did it warrant a German accent? Like, could the creators hafe vritten somezing vorth adding a German accent?
A King

in name

alone...

Expert bluffer

I just prefer handheld games in general, so I am biased towards a handheld AA. However, I'd still happily play it on any console.

Scent wrote:
I can't find what he said in that scene, but did it warrant a German accent? Like, could the creators hafe vritten somezing vorth adding a German accent?

Haha. I think that Klavier doesn't necessarily need a German accent. Not everyone keeps their accent over time--some only have it while speaking in their original language, and not while speaking others, like English.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

Apollon Flame

DragonCactus wrote:
I just prefer handheld games in general, so I am biased towards a handheld AA. However, I'd still happily play it on any console.

Scent wrote:

Haha. I think that Klavier doesn't necessarily need a German accent. Not everyone keeps their accent over time--some only have it while speaking in their original language, and not while speaking others, like English.

Yeah, when reading Kristoph I just read him in normal English, but Klavier with German, seeing as how he's the Gavin more inclined in using German words like Fraulein (lady) and Herr (mister) and more of 'em.
A King

in name

alone...

The cape is self-fluttering

DragonCactus wrote:

Scent wrote:

Call me weird, but I never imagined Klavier with a German accent at all. Maybe it's because of
Spoiler: 4-4
the time Phoenix called it a "Euro-affected" accent. It always just made me think it was fake, or that Klavier was just intentionally "adopting" an accent from time to time.

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Apollon Flame

Weren't the Gavins confirmed to have come from Germany? Other than that, I presume that was Nick just being prejudice.
A King

in name

alone...

The cape is self-fluttering

Scent wrote:
Weren't the Gavins confirmed to have come from Germany? Other than that, I presume that was Nick just being prejudice.

It's possible, but to be honest, I haven't heard it confirmed one way or another (if it is, feel free to link me to the voice of god). All I know is that Klavier studied in Germany. I'm thinking that's where he picked up random phrases and words.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT
Page 1 of 2 [ 51 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps