Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 3[ 118 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 


Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 864

After GS5, one question is obviously tormenting the fandom: since Edgeworth and Pearl appeared in GS5, will more old characters make a cameo appearance in GS6?

I saw people commenting on how Pearl's role was pretty pointless. My personal opinion is: no more Fey clan. I know Maya fans are crazy to see her again but why she needs to appear again? As I stated before, she doesn't have anything to do with the legal world besides being Phoenix friend. Even in the first trilogy, I dare to say that this Fey plot being drummed into my head again and again sickened me enough, especially in the last game. The same goes to Pearl -- I like her character but if she doesn't have a solid reason to be there, why put her in the first place? Honestly, the main reason they put her in GS5 is because she's *17 years old now* *teenager* *great candidate to new female sidekick*

As for Edgeworth, he has a reason to be there. Being a prosecutor and a famous name in law makes it easy to fit him in the story coherently, but even so I fear he may steal the spotlight for new prosecutors.
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Posts: 970

dangerousoffender wrote:
After GS5, one question is obviously tormenting the fandom: since Edgeworth and Pearl appeared in GS5, will more old characters make a cameo appearance in GS6?

I saw people commenting on how Pearl's role was pretty pointless. My personal opinion is: no more Fey clan. I know Maya fans are crazy to see her again but why she needs to appear again? As I stated before, she doesn't have anything to do with the legal world besides being Phoenix friend. Even in the first trilogy, I dare to say that this Fey plot being drummed into my head again and again sickened me enough, especially in the last game. The same goes to Pearl -- I like her character but if she doesn't have a solid reason to be there, why put her in the first place? Honestly, the main reason they put her in GS5 is because she's *17 years old now* *teenager* *great candidate to new female sidekick*

As for Edgeworth, he has a reason to be there. Being a prosecutor and a famous name in law makes it easy to fit him in the story coherently, but even so I fear he may steal the spotlight for new prosecutors.


As much as I love Maya I must agree that I wouldn't want her back unless she had a good reason for being there. However, I should add that I thought the letter was rather weak; it could've had a bit more personality to it. I also wouldn't mind her appearing in a DLC case just for the sake of shameless fanservice exploit, provided her character is portrayed well.

I sort of liked the idea of Blackquill and Edgeworth teaming up against Phoenix...I'd pay to see that trial in real life.

Also, the people who can return for reasons other than visiting/witnessing are basically just the ones working within the legal system, right? That'd include Gumshoe, Ema and maybe even Lana. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Ema as a full-fledged forensic scientist.
Image
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Surf's Up!

Gender: Male

Location: The gloomiest place on earth (i.e. the UK)

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Posts: 2257

Thane wrote:
and maybe even Lana.


I would have thought that forging evidence in the SL~9 Incident would have made having any future career as a police officer/prosecutor damaged beyond repair for Lana...

As for bringing back previous characters in general, I don't mind as long as it's for a justified reason (other than just blatant fan-service).
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Posts: 970

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Thane wrote:
and maybe even Lana.


I would have thought that forging evidence in the SL~9 Incident would have made having any future career as a police officer/prosecutor damaged beyond repair for Lana...

As for bringing back previous characters in general, I don't mind as long as it's for a justified reason (other than just blatant fan-service).


Therefore the 'maybe even'. Still, weren't her last words something about finding her way back to the field?
Image
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

I haven't played GS5 yet, so I can't comment on how I think they handled the cameos in that respect.

However, based on what I've heard it sounds like Pearl's cameo wasn't as strong as it could have been. I think she was included because she is a good "in-between" between the "not seeing any old characters" in AJ and "Everyone coming back for GS5" that most fans (including myself) thought would be a bad idea. She's there as a reminder of Phoenix's past, a way for the subject of Maya to be brought back up again, and a way to reintroduce characters from Phoenix's life.

Edgeworth, I think, is very much because of popular demand, and that's fine because I think people have been happy with Edgeworth's involvement in GS5. It's been 9 years since Edgeworth and Phoenix last faced off in court, and he's developed into the second most important protagonist in the series (sorry Apollo) due to the GK games, so it makes sense they'd bring him back to help usher in the new age of AA.

Regarding Maya, I think it would be cool to have her back, to see her as an adult and the head of Kurain, but it will only work if it's like the grand finale of the series or something. They should at least wait until GS7 or so before bringing her back; something revolving around her might serve as a good finale to this "trilogy" that I'm expecting to start with GS5. Maya's story was finished in T&T; Maya now is most important as an aspect of Phoenix's story, so I think if she comes back it will have more to do with him than her.

Finally, regarding other cameos, I'm not really interested in any from the original trilogy, as they've been in tons of stuff. (Franziska and Gumshoe I'm iffy on; if they could find a way to make it worthwhile maybe but I wouldn't want to see them just being their normal selves again. I'd love to see Gumshoe somehow become rich, though. He deserves it!) However, I'd love to see characters from AJ and DD come back. Characters like Ema and Klavier should definitely appear in GS6.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9870

dangerousoffender wrote:
I saw people commenting on how Pearl's role was pretty pointless. My personal opinion is: no more Fey clan.


That's what I feel like, too. I never thought Maya was all that important to begin with - yeah, she became Phoenix' friend and had maybe one or two moments where she was portrayed as strong, but overall she did not fit into the legal aspect of the game.
I'm not big on the female sidekick to begin with, but majority of them did not really fit into the Defense's Aid role. Ema I can sort of see as a decent legal sidekick, because she does forensic stuff which could be helpful. Trucy, despite doing stage magic, is being brought up by an ex-Lawyer, so it's possible she learned some law and would be helpful.
Maya, Pearl (and Kay, but I won't count her here) are spirit channelers, they have nothing to do with legal in any way, they have no reason to be in court, except as spectators. Or, in Maya's case, the mandatory role of Defendant-For-The-Case.

Only cameo I can think of that I want to appear is Franziska. See if she has changed somehow.

C-A
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 864

Thane wrote:
Also, the people who can return for reasons other than visiting/witnessing are basically just the ones working within the legal system, right? That'd include Gumshoe, Ema and maybe even Lana. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Ema as a full-fledged forensic scientist.


Ema can help with the investigative side of the game, but Gumshoe... I don't know, he already appeared so many times... Of course, I wouldn't mind if he made a cameo appearance helping a case with information, but he can't be the series "main detective" forever, right?

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Regarding Maya, I think it would be cool to have her back, to see her as an adult and the head of Kurain, but it will only work if it's like the grand finale of the series or something. They should at least wait until GS7 or so before bringing her back; something revolving around her might serve as a good finale to this "trilogy" that I'm expecting to start with GS5. Maya's story was finished in T&T; Maya now is most important as an aspect of Phoenix's story, so I think if she comes back it will have more to do with him than her.


I don't think that anything revolving around her would work anymore for two reasons:
1. Capcom is focused on a new direction now. Bringing Maya back as an "old friend" would totally confuse the new players/people who haven't played the first trilogy and it would be really weird, as if she had popped out of nowhere without clear connections with the plot.
2. Something revolving around her already happened. In fact, that already happened in the whole first trilogy. As I said, she doesn't have anything to do with the legal world besides being Phoenix friend and I can't imagine a way of she being possibly connected to a case besides being a witness or a defendand (which already happened a thousand of times before)
Her fans should be grateful about that letter; that letter was a total optional fanservice... But hell, instead they complain about how they want "more Maya". They know now she is still Phoenix's friend, they still see each other, what they want more?

CatMuto wrote:
Maya, Pearl (and Kay, but I won't count her here) are spirit channelers, they have nothing to do with legal in any way, they have no reason to be in court, except as spectators. Or, in Maya's case, the mandatory role of Defendant-For-The-Case.


Right? And even if she appeared as an useless cameo just to say "hi" to Phoenix, her fans would still complain about how they want more Maya. I got the impression that some people want her to be a legal assistant forever (despite the fact that she had never been qualified for this and more important, now she's an adult... it would be really strange to see an adult acting as a best-buddy-legal-aide without professional qualification)
What was Kay's reason to follow Edgeworth? She just decided to do that without a single plausible reason, right? I don't remember right now...

CatMuto wrote:
Only cameo I can think of that I want to appear is Franziska. See if she has changed somehow.


I want to see her as a cameo too. I think she is the character of the first trilogy with more potential to future development... We don't know if she really changed/matured her views and attitude regarding her profession and even regarding her life.
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

dangerousoffender wrote:
Her fans should be grateful about that letter; that letter was a total optional fanservice... But hell, instead they complain about how they want "more Maya". They know now she is still Phoenix's friend, they still see each other, what they want more?

I'm thinking it's probably just nostalgia. Most people started with PWAA so they feel really connected to Maya as an assistant, just like seeing Trucy in GS5 is nostalgic to me since AJ was my first game. So people always want to see Maya back. However, as stated in my previous post I don't think having Maya back would work unless it was just an element of a very personal story with Phoenix at the center. Having Maya back as the defendant again would not be a good idea.

dangerousoffender wrote:
what was Kay's reason to follow Edgeworth? She just decided to do that without a single plausible reason, right? I don't remember right now...

They do a bad job being clear about it in the game (they left a lot of it to hints and inferences since they didn't want to reveal their connection until AAI-4), but (if I remember correctly) basically she heard about Edgeworth getting wrapped up in the smuggling ring in 4-2 and started following him in hopes that that would lead her to Calisto Yew.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

DLC cases / bonus episodes are pretty appropriate places for extra cameo appearances. For one, they don't have to tie in directly to the main plot of a game, so any returning character can show up for any situation. For another, since these are downloadable cases, those who don't want the extra fanservice don't have to get them.

Of course, this is assuming Capcom decides to go through with making 3D models for so many returning characters. Turnabout Reclaimed was developed alongside the main game, so it got off easy. I just hope they don't pull another
Spoiler:
case split and name them as separate cases.


I say, in the next official art book, let them include concept designs for possible cameo appearances. Edgeworth and Larry got that treatment in the PLvsAA art book, and the fan community pounced on them.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9870

Quote:
They know now she is still Phoenix's friend, they still see each other, what they want more?


ZoMG like totally must make teh off1cialz couple lovey-dovey Maya-Nick 4EVER!!

I'm giving an exaggerated guess at that. I can't really say it's nostalgia in wanting to see Maya. I mean, I started AA with the first one as well, but I don't want to see her back. I'm not the type of person who wants to see a character just for fanservice (Okay except maybe for Edgeworth, but he has an important role, too) or for the sake of nostalgia.
I like fanservice, but it has to have a purpose.
Like I said, I want to see Franziska, to see if and how she has changed over the years. Not just because I want to see her again and her whip antics.

C-A
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wassup, witchy baby!

Gender: Male

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7723

Just because you don't want to see her back for the sake of nostalgia doesn't mean there aren't others who do.


And this
Quote:
Like I said, I want to see Franziska, to see if and how she has changed over the years. Not just because I want to see her again and her whip antics.
might as well be a reason for people who'd like to see Maya. I for one would love to see how Maya as well as Franziska has changed and (possibly) matured.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)


Last edited by Going for Miles on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wassup, witchy baby!

Gender: Male

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7723

Not a double post, just a major screw up.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9870

GoingforMiles wrote:
might as well be a reason for people who'd like to see Maya. I for one would love to see how Maya as well as Franziska has changed and (possibly) matured.


But think and look at Maya. She had pretty much a damn story arc about her. Her sister's death in GS1, her aunt's betrayal in GS2 and finally the large Fey Family Reunion Fest in GS3. She got stuff that made her develop - even if in GS1 her development included "Awww, I am so useless now cause I stayed here by my own free will and decided to not train my channeling and that is totally my fault now... Awww... I am so down..." and then decided to leave to get better.
Good development.
GS2 didn't add too much, but it expanded her family somewhat, showing how she interacts with (living) family members and gave us the "Sisters meeting again" in 2-2, so that little emotional plot is finished.
Fine.
GS3, as I said, is a total Fey Fest. It explained more about the Fey clan that people actually care about, we got rid of the "Will Maya see her mother again?" plot thread that was sort of hinted at during 1-2/1-4. In the end, Maya decides to return to Kurain to become the new Master.
Done!

She had her development, she had her story, she now has a new position with responsibility, she pretty much has a new chapter of her life to deal with. Dragging her into the spotlight next to Phoenix again, a place where she has no place since she has nothing to do with the legal aspect of the game, would be silly because it's basically just a poor attempt to recapture the "old days" where she was the defense aide.
Putting Maya next to Phoenix again would be like reverting any potential development she had, returning her to be the bubbly young sidekick on Phoenix' side.

And we don't need that.
Franziska got a glimpse of development in 2-4, where she broke down in front of Edgeworth. In 3-5, she got a talking to by Pearl, but that was it. Overall, she didn't change in her appearance in the first three games. They could expand on her character, they could give her development past the Obsessed with perfection and reaching Edgeworth trait of her personality.

C-A
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wassup, witchy baby!

Gender: Male

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7723

Yes. I wouldn't want her standing next to Phoenix again, but I would like to just see her, see what have become of her and how she is as a Kurain master. Not as a sidekick, but as... I don't know, but I'm sure it would be possible to have her appear in a way that doesn't feel forced and not having her take all the spotlight.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9870

GoingforMiles wrote:
Yes. I wouldn't want her standing next to Phoenix again, but I would like to just see her, see what have become of her and how she is as a Kurain master. Not as a sidekick, but as... I don't know, but I'm sure it would be possible to have her appear in a way that doesn't feel forced and not having her take all the spotlight.


Yeah, it's called a two-minute-purely-fan-pleasing-spotlight-shine. Like Pearl. What is Pearl's purpose in GS5? ...eh, nothing really, except a letter and telling fans, "This is what Pearl looks like as a teenager... now stop. asking."
And what has become of Maya? She's the Master of Kurain, end of story. Considering how I think it was mentioned once how Maya won't ever change, and the hint about her in GS4 regarding the Steel Samurai DVDs, it's likely that she is still the bubbly, preppy girl she was before, only now older.

I mean, seriously: if they brought in Maya and she turned out to be this very serious, mature and calm and collected young woman, would you think it does her justice? Or do you think it would feel forced to have her change that way, ruining her image and spitting into what she was originally?

C-A
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 864

GoingforMiles wrote:
Yes. I wouldn't want her standing next to Phoenix again, but I would like to just see her, see what have become of her and how she is as a Kurain master. Not as a sidekick, but as... I don't know, but I'm sure it would be possible to have her appear in a way that doesn't feel forced and not having her take all the spotlight.


The letter made it abundantly clear that her personality hasn't changed-- the only possibly thing that can change about her now is how she looks.
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wassup, witchy baby!

Gender: Male

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7723

Well, I am a fan. Please me.

And no, I wouldn't. What I was trying to say was that I really would like a Maya-appearance, provided it is well-handled and, as said before, not forced.

(And I haven't read that letter)
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9870

GoingforMiles wrote:
Well, I am a fan. Please me.

And no, I wouldn't. What I was trying to say was that I really would like a Maya-appearance, provided it is well-handled and, as said before, not forced.


Uuurgh... I feel like I'm surrounded my idiots...Image

Cameos are done to appease fans. And that is exactly why they are always forced! A cameo done ONLY to please a fan is NEVER gonna work well, not feel forced or be handled well. Why? Because it's just to shut the goddamn fans up!

C-A
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wassup, witchy baby!

Gender: Male

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7723

Ha...! "Surrounded by"... :kristoph:

Damn peasants demanding simple entertainment... Thank goodness there are some intellectual fans here as well. :violin: If you think I'm an idiot, fine, but don't treat me like one if you would be so kind.

And I don't remember ever saing that was a likely scenario, I just said I would like it. Of course it'd be forced, but it doesn't have to feel like it.

Why is it that provoking that people like Maya and want to see more of her? Damn fans.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9870

GoingforMiles wrote:
Why is it that provoking that people like Maya and want to see more of her? Damn fans.


Because I think fanservice or appeasing fans Cameos have to serve more of a purpose than simply fanservice. It serves no point and, in the worst case, could completely distract from the actual plot. Plus, especially in Maya's case, I see no actual purpose her appearance would be except for fanservice because she had her story arc, her development and has moved on with her life.

I don't mind fanservice, as long as it isn't just fanservice.
Best example I can think of, off the top of my head, is the 2nd OVA of Kuroshitsuji. That is just plain fanservice, fanservice and fanservice for the female audience, just one thing more appeasing than the next. The OVA focuses on the faceless female woman who is a friend of Lizzie's and goes to Phantomhive Manor, sees Sebastian and Ciel. Two minutes later, we see from her point of perspective, Sebastian throwing himself on top of her to protect her from an explosion, everybody comments how beautiful she is, Soma falls instantly in love with her, she gets bridal carried by Sebastian, he even blindfolds himself and changes her clothes, she wears Ciel's mother's clothes, the woman then also gets kidnapped by the Viscount of Druitt because he loves her, too, Sebastian saves her, also turns out that the woman is actually an assassin hired by a family from the first few episodes to attempt to kill Ciel. Sebastian stops her, with his body standing close behind her, but later they dance. Oh and it's the woman's birthday, so we have Sebastian saying Happy Birthday and even singing.

Yes, it's nothing more than fulfill a pile of fantasies the female audience has and it annoys me because that is its only purpose. It's basically an animated form of bad fanfiction, self-insert ideas piled together. Now, I have nothing against Sebastian being blindfolded, but they just went overboard with the fanservice.

tl;dr: Where's the fun of having a fan-service thing (Cameo or what not) if that is its only purpose?

C-A
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 864

GoingforMiles wrote:
Why is it that provoking that people like Maya and want to see more of her? Damn fans.


I don't think it is provoking. I think it is an irrational demand made by people more concerned about the appearance of a particular character than about the quality of the story.
As CatMuto said, there is NOTHING good about pointless, empty cameos. Pearl's appearance was a big example of that.
"Hi, I'm that old character you love so much, years have passed, I'm still alive. Now bye". Is this what you really want?
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wassup, witchy baby!

Gender: Male

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7723

dangerousoffender wrote:
Is this what you really want?



Quote:
I for one would love to see how Maya as well as Franziska has changed and (possibly) matured.

Quote:
I'm sure it would be possible to have her appear in a way that doesn't feel forced and not having her take all the spotlight.

Quote:
I really would like a Maya-appearance, provided it is well-handled and, as said before, not forced.

Quote:
And I don't remember ever saing that was a likely scenario, I just said I would like it. Of course it'd be forced, but it doesn't have to feel like it.


Am I making myself clear enough?
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9870

GoingforMiles wrote:
dangerousoffender wrote:
Is this what you really want?



Quote:
I for one would love to see how Maya as well as Franziska has changed and (possibly) matured.

Quote:
I'm sure it would be possible to have her appear in a way that doesn't feel forced and not having her take all the spotlight.

Quote:
I really would like a Maya-appearance, provided it is well-handled and, as said before, not forced.

Quote:
And I don't remember ever saing that was a likely scenario, I just said I would like it. Of course it'd be forced, but it doesn't have to feel like it.


Am I making myself clear enough?


That bolded bit especially is a contradiction. Any cameo for the sole purpose of a fan-pleasing cameo is forced, it can't help but feel forced because it is forced. If the cameo character has a plot-important role to fulfill, then it would make sense to have them appear and it wouldn't be forced, as it is important to the story.

In terms of AA, I don't even think a One-Case-Only cameo would work. Unless said cameo appearance of them being the defendant for the case somehow ended up vitally important to the plot. But that would be impossible, because if it was like that, the cameo character would appear in more than just one case.

So unless GS6 somehow focuses on Maya or the Fey clan... again... her appearance would be nothing but a forced cameo that serves no purpose, except forced fan-pleasing.

C-A
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

Wow, tensions sure hurried up in here. Could we keep the insults to a minimum? Thanks.

I get your point, GoingforMiles. It doesn't hurt to bring back Maya, and there is a way to include her in a case without her appearing only as clean-up crew or random visitor. Let there be a case in which it's necessary to get the story from the murder victim him/herself to clear up everything. We'd need a spirit medium for that, and Maya can volunteer, as if to show off the results of her training or whatnot. After all, these games are always about "finding the truth", rather than just defending clients (or getting paid). But, there's one main problem with it.

When has it ever been necessary to get the story from the victim? The evidence and confessions as a whole can answer pretty much everything there is to know in a case.

I can answer that with a specific scenario. There could be a villain who feels like they're haunted by the ghost of the victim, but wouldn't 'fess up without concrete evidence, which the defense lacks. All Maya needs to do is summon up that spirit, and boom, breakdown. The only time we've had something even remotely similar to this is with Redd White. (Then again, he shot his own foot with that final testimony anyway.)

As for how "forced" it'd feel to have yet another ghost story... we've had a case involving an imaginary demon as the culprit. This idea won't be so bad in comparison, believe me. Besides, said case with demon wasn't too bad in of itself, even if its very premise is ridiculous.

...However, I still think there are better options to explore than with bringing back Maya. This would be an incredibly cheap way to solve a case.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Posts: 864

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Wow, tensions sure hurried up in here. Could we keep the insults to a minimum? Thanks.


Technically, nobody was insulted here.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
I can answer that with a specific scenario. There could be a villain who feels like they're haunted by the ghost of the victim, but wouldn't 'fess up without concrete evidence, which the defense lacks. All Maya needs to do is summon up that spirit, and boom, breakdown. The only time we've had something even remotely similar to this is with Redd White. (Then again, he shot his own foot with that final testimony anyway.)


So in order to bring Maya back, the writers would have to think about a whole special case/situation only to fit her in, limiting the creative process and ignoring any other original ideas that could end up as something better. Again, being forced and again, hurting the quality.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
...However, I still think there are better options to explore than with bringing back Maya. This would be an incredibly cheap way to solve a case.


I agree.
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2238

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
I can answer that with a specific scenario. There could be a villain who feels like they're haunted by the ghost of the victim, but wouldn't 'fess up without concrete evidence, which the defense lacks. All Maya needs to do is summon up that spirit, and boom, breakdown. The only time we've had something even remotely similar to this is with Redd White. (Then again, he shot his own foot with that final testimony anyway.)


Ah, that reminds me, Mitani Kouki's 2011 film Sutekina Kanashibari (AKA A Ghost of a Chance AKA Once in a Blue Moon) might be interesting for GS fans; it's about a rookie defense attorney whose only chance to save her client is to bring a ghost to the witness stand (as the ghost was responsible for the sleep paralyzation the witness had during the crime). Which of course leads to the problem of actually getting the ghost allowed as a witness...
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9870

Quote:
I can answer that with a specific scenario. There could be a villain who feels like they're haunted by the ghost of the victim, but wouldn't 'fess up without concrete evidence, which the defense lacks.


"You might as well 'fess up, Sir, I have concrete evidence that you killed her! What, how do I know? Why, I had this medium channel the victim's spirit, who told me in great detail how you killed her!"

It would be the same problem as people have had with DL-6 or even in other cases where Maya, a spirit medium, could've solved things much faster by simply channeling the victim and having them talk. How do we know that the spirit would be telling the truth?

What people have come to a consensus in regards to DL-6, they basically agree that Gregory lied about who killed him. Even if it's a mix of Gregory thinking Miles may have accidently shot him and the fact that Gregory likely simply doesn't know who killed him.
So spirits can lie. That's already a huge problem.

And for another, would it be admissable in court? DL-6's outcome and the rumors breaking out from it has scared people off. And while they did talk about spirits, mediums and channeling in 3-5, just because one judge believes that it is possible, does not mean that a victim being channeled through a medium is admissable and will be taken seriously into account if it happens.

It's just an incredibly silly and even stupid way to solve a case, because of the abovementioned points and the overall problem. Not to mention the victim being channeled and testifying could generally result in even the wrong person being convicted as spirits can lie and could even have their emotions take over and simply say that somebody they hated did it. And it would ruin whatever shred of dignity the law system would have left.

C-A
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

I've always wondered about that list Mia had, which cornered White. She just happened to show up with something with his weakness on it. Just like that, Edgeworth lost his first case. You can be sure he was seething after that. He had everything near perfect, and then a ghost trolls him with cheap evidence.

...From that point on, I couldn't take any logic of this universe seriously, aside from those that are integral to solving the cases' mysteries.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9870

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
...From that point on, I couldn't take any logic of this universe seriously, aside from those that are integral to solving the cases' mysteries.


You can't take any "logic" in this game seriously. Ghost!Mia wasn't technically holding something with White's weakness in it, she was literally blackmailing him, saying: "If you don't confess to the murder, this list full of death threats and other threats to already-dead people will be sent to the police!"
Which is badgering the witness... which is forbidden in other cases, but at that point it was A-Okay.

C-A
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wassup, witchy baby!

Gender: Male

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7723

Maybe someone already has said this one, but I'd like Ema to appear, if only briefly, as a forensic scientist. Let her have a happy ending. :notes:
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Gender: Male

Location: Connecticut

Rank: Admin

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:36 pm

Posts: 3449

Hmm. Characters I'd like to return.

Shelly DeKiller and Grossberg would be interesting folks to return, as murder victims. Thus far, characters who've returned have never been killed. I think it'd be a nice twist. Who assassinated the assassin has a wonderful twist to it. And Grossberg, everyone important to his story is dead. He's liked, but not too liked. His death would pull some heart strings while still maintaining a status quo.

Spoiler:
Yew/Sheena: She's by far my favorite villain since GS1 with Gant and Von Karma. I can totally see here escaping detention and attaining a new alias.


With 3 protagonist lawyers, what about a concurrent 3 way trial? I'd like to see Mikagami and Juniper as a graduate return to oversee the other cases. I just want Trucy to be Phoenix's aid and Apollo to go against Edgeworth. Change the format up a little. Maybe bring Pearl and Ema in as aids?

I love Wendy Oldbag, Lotta Hart and Adrian Andrews, but I do not want them to return. If they cannot logically add something to the story, then I'd rather they'd not return. GS3 Adrian left me depressed.
Image
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wassup, witchy baby!

Gender: Male

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7723

I agree about De Killer and the thing put in spoiler tag. I didn't like the way De Killer returned in GK2, but him being a victim (almost wrote "murder weapon", I guess that's one way to interpret his occupation...) would be interesting.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

I've felt worse.

Gender: None specified

Location: I'm at soup.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Posts: 1651

CatMuto wrote:
Yeah, it's called a two-minute-purely-fan-pleasing-spotlight-shine. Like Pearl. What is Pearl's purpose in GS5? ...eh, nothing really, except a letter and telling fans, "This is what Pearl looks like as a teenager... now stop. asking."

That and explaining the Black Psycholocks. But yeah, other than that, nothing.
CatMuto wrote:
And what has become of Maya? She's the Master of Kurain, end of story. Considering how I think it was mentioned once how Maya won't ever change, and the hint about her in GS4 regarding the Steel Samurai DVDs, it's likely that she is still the bubbly, preppy girl she was before, only now older.

She won't ever change? Did you pull that out of another VGR?
CatMuto wrote:
I mean, seriously: if they brought in Maya and she turned out to be this very serious, mature and calm and collected young woman, would you think it does her justice? Or do you think it would feel forced to have her change that way, ruining her image and spitting into what she was originally?

A character maturing is spitting in her image? Yet you still find "Hobo Phoenix" not spitting in his image?
Image
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9870

Quote:
She won't ever change? Did you pull that out of another VGR?


No, VGR has nothing to do with that. And I'm pretty sure somebody mentioned during the original trilogy that Maya never changes. I forget who, but I just have the memory of it. Since the only Cases I replayed are 1-4, 2-2, sometimes 2-4, 3-5, 3-4 or 3-1, it's likely that it appears in the other cases.

Quote:
A character maturing is spitting in her image? Yet you still find "Hobo Phoenix" not spitting in his image?


Hobohodo was not a spit in the face because Phoenix was already a very cynical person to begin with. Difference being between Lawyer!Phoenix and Hobohodo is that Hobohodo is simply open about his cynicism and sarcastic comments.

C-A
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

I've felt worse.

Gender: None specified

Location: I'm at soup.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Posts: 1651

CatMuto wrote:
No, VGR has nothing to do with that. And I'm pretty sure somebody mentioned during the original trilogy that Maya never changes. I forget who, but I just have the memory of it. Since the only Cases I replayed are 1-4, 2-2, sometimes 2-4, 3-5, 3-4 or 3-1, it's likely that it appears in the other cases.

That was a meta-joke from the third game lampshading that her appearance never changes, due to reusing the same sprites over three games. If you have an actual quote saying her personality never changes, show me.
CatMuto wrote:
Hobohodo was not a spit in the face because Phoenix was already a very cynical person to begin with. Difference being between Lawyer!Phoenix and Hobohodo is that Hobohodo is simply open about his cynicism and sarcastic comments.

His only sarcastic comment is about Apollo carrying around Trucy's panties. And the Phoenix the original trilogy gave us is the one who wouldn't take seven years to prove who set him up to use forged evidence after figuring it out who did it in a few weeks.
Image
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Beauty and grace.

Gender: Female

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Posts: 126

I'd really love to see Wocky again and a different judge.
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Ultimate Survivor

Gender: Female

Location: Virginia

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Posts: 163

I'm kind of split on cameos and fanservice. I feel it can go either way. Obviously, if it's done well, it's not a problem. I wasn't majorly bothered by the presence of Pearl in AA5, though, even though she didn't do much. It's nice to see that she's still in contact with Nick, and it wasn't like her presence was detrimental to my enjoyment of AA5. However, I can see why stuff like this does bother people.

I can't say there's anyone I'm dying to see back, actually. I'm expecting the main protags, of course, but I'm always more interested to see the new characters the creators bring to the table.

Actually, thinking it over, it would be cool to get a Wright/Edgeworth showdown in every game, as blatantly fangirlish as that sounds. Dang. I loved it in Dual Destinies. I wouldn't mind that, as long as it could be worked into the plot and wouldn't take the spotlight away from whoever the new prosecutor is, as someone else mentioned.
Now, even if you apologize...I will not forgive you.
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Apollon Flame

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Posts: 1638

scarlet-flowers wrote:
I'd really love to see Wocky again and a different judge.

As much as I loved this to happen, I feel as if the only thing they'll carry over from Apollo Justice Ace Attorney are the major plot points and those involved.
A King

in name


alone...
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Alabama

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:11 am

Posts: 205

I don't mind cameos as long as they tie into the plot, or they at least give the character something to do. Pearl's role was kinda pointless (although her appearance in the DLC case was much better), but it was still nice to see how much she has aged. I don't feel like her appearance added OR took away anything from the game. Personally, a Maya appearance wouldn't bother me at all.

Honestly, I think some of you guys tend to take video game storylines a wee bit too seriously.
Re: Cameo appearances and fanservice in next titlesTopic%20Title
User avatar

Apollon Flame

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Posts: 1638

TheIdioteque wrote:
I don't mind cameos as long as they tie into the plot, or they at least give the character something to do. Pearl's role was kinda pointless (although her appearance in the DLC case was much better), but it was still nice to see how much she has aged. I don't feel like her appearance added OR took away anything from the game. Personally, a Maya appearance wouldn't bother me at all.

Honestly, I think some of you guys tend to take video game storylines a wee bit too seriously.

My thoughts exactly. I don't care if for every game we get the characters and plot are the same, as long as they're executed excellently, I'll enjoy it. Some even do a VERY professional analysis just to conclude that X character played no real role. By the way, we should all have something in our minds: developers know what they're doing. Just because you cannot appreciate a character's role in a game does not mean the writers just put him or her in there. I'll take your example:

If they had Pearls star in two cases, there's a reason. I saw it as a nod that developers haven't forgotten about Maya so they acknowledge it utilizing Pearls as a vessel to deliver a message. Because, hello, it's Pearly, she's a seriously advocate for Phoenix x Maya, at some point in time she was going to mention her, as in, the developers acknowledging her. Sometimes writers use characters to deliver a message they want to tell the fandom without breaking the fourth wall, like this:

Let's assume Franziska von Karma will return for GS6. The writers won't outright tell you: "Dear fans, prosecuting prodigy Franziska will be making a return, please look forward to it!" Nope, they'll do something along the lines of:

:edgeworth: - I gave news to Franziska about your return to the courts. Suffice to say she was pleasant and would like to catch on over all those years you were "evading" everybody. Who knows, maybe she'll want to duke it out with you again like old times, Wright.

Edit:

We could also use as example Blackquill's pet: Taka. What other role did it play besides being an annoyance and telling us that Simon is into birds? Could they have made a game without Taka? Indeed. It was just a detail for a character. It's like giving or removing Damon Gants his black, leather gloves. He's still the same corrupt.
A King

in name


alone...
Page 1 of 3 [ 118 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Sogou [Spider] and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO