Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 2[ 44 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 


Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Posts: 60

I have been thinking for a while that with the release of DD, maybe its time for the Ace Attorney series to split into two or three games, with each game focusing on a different member of the Wright Anything Agency. As much as I enjoyed DD, I couldnt help but feel that there were too many characters central to the main story. Maybe its time to give Apollo or Athena their own game to develop 'their world's' characters properly. Thoughts?
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

How ironic

Gender: Male

Location: Canada, eh?

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Posts: 1933

Meh, leave this type of game splitting to games like Pokemon. If each game tells a different part of the story, that would be cool, but if it's just different views of the same story, playing too far in one game might lead to spoilers of a different game. Just my opinion.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Posts: 60

I would like to see apollo make his own firm eventually and get his own series.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Expert bluffer

Gender: Female

Location: On the brink of sanity

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Posts: 135

adit2789 wrote:
I would like to see apollo make his own firm eventually and get his own series.

Ehh, I highly doubt that. Whenever the series strays away from Phoenix, it gets tons of complaints and I doubt Capcom is willing to risk it.
Game splitting, as was said, is best left for the Pokemon type of franchise. AA splitting up would only be a loss.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

Image
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wriggling piece of plywood

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7157

dimentiorules wrote:
Meh, leave this type of game splitting to games like Pokemon. If each game tells a different part of the story, that would be cool, but if it's just different views of the same story, playing too far in one game might lead to spoilers of a different game. Just my opinion.


I second this!
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

[Whip the cream!]

Gender: Male

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am

Posts: 7064

It sounds rather fun, but I think it would be really hard to pull off, and like other people said; it would spoil a lot etc.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title

I'd buy it... :)
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Beauty and grace.

Gender: Female

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Posts: 126

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeh I don't think it would really work. Part of Ace Attorney's charm for me is how the core characters interact and support each other. Splitting them up makes me less invested in their story.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Posts: 970

Pardon me if I sound blunt, but would you be so kind as to explain your idea more thoroughly? I simply cannot see how this would benefit us, or the series, in any way, shape or form.
Image
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 am

Posts: 145

scarlet-flowers wrote:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeh I don't think it would really work. Part of Ace Attorney's charm for me is how the core characters interact and support each other. Splitting them up makes me less invested in their story.

Agreed. I do think it's a little tricky to balance three protagonists when one is so much more developed than the others, but it'd be even more confusing with multiple games.

I think it might be better to alternate "main" protagonists? Most people will pick favourites and not everyone will be happy, but. The best way to give Apollo or Athena further development is to write more stories for them in particular. Phoenix can still be in it, just... make him and "his people" less important to the plot?
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Posts: 60

Thats just it. Each character has "their own people/world" and in a combined game characters from each of the protagonists' "worlds" just get thrown in for the heck of it. It might be just me, but I didnt like seeing how phoenix took a back seat for (what seemed to be) most of the cases, Klavier and Edgeworth got thrown in for convenience, Pearl's and Trucy no longer have any purpose, etc.

I just think some division could yield some better character development. If capcom makes sure each character's game has a distinct story, I don't see how there would be a problem. Finally, if capcom did do something like this, they could stand to increase revenues, just because fans of one lawyer are likely fans of the other
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Posts: 970

adit2789 wrote:
Thats just it. Each character has "their own people/world" and in a combined game characters from each of the protagonists' "worlds" just get thrown in for the heck of it. It might be just me, but I didnt like seeing how phoenix took a back seat for (what seemed to be) most of the cases, Klavier and Edgeworth got thrown in for convenience, Pearl's and Trucy no longer have any purpose, etc.

I just think some division could yield some better character development. If capcom makes sure each character's game has a distinct story, I don't see how there would be a problem. Finally, if capcom did do something like this, they could stand to increase revenues, just because fans of one lawyer are likely fans of the other


I personally found Phoenix's character to be handled superbly while outside of court. He was shown to be a wise, caring mentor who with experience guided his protégées while hinting at his more colorful past. In court, however, he showed absolutely no character development whatsoever, and that was just disappointing. At least, that's what I thought in cases four and five; the first trial was handled well.

If you think that giving each protagonist their own game is going to stop the more useless cameos, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree. The way I see it, it'd probably only get worse. The current team are masters of pointless cameos, adding characters to give one piece of evidence or whatever to further the story when it could've been handled much better. The simple fact is that they chose to focus almost entirely on Athena, and most other characters ended up in the background because of it.

There have been five games in the main series over the course of 12 years. Not to mention it's a relatively small franchise. And you want them to start developing separate games for each protagonist? Even though most people only recognize Phoenix? And this would somehow magically increase sales? I'm sorry, but that is simply not happening.
Image
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Posts: 60

Thane wrote:
adit2789 wrote:
Thats just it. Each character has "their own people/world" and in a combined game characters from each of the protagonists' "worlds" just get thrown in for the heck of it. It might be just me, but I didnt like seeing how phoenix took a back seat for (what seemed to be) most of the cases, Klavier and Edgeworth got thrown in for convenience, Pearl's and Trucy no longer have any purpose, etc.

I just think some division could yield some better character development. If capcom makes sure each character's game has a distinct story, I don't see how there would be a problem. Finally, if capcom did do something like this, they could stand to increase revenues, just because fans of one lawyer are likely fans of the other


I personally found Phoenix's character to be handled superbly while outside of court. He was shown to be a wise, caring mentor who with experience guided his protégées while hinting at his more colorful past. In court, however, he showed absolutely no character development whatsoever, and that was just disappointing. At least, that's what I thought in cases four and five; the first trial was handled well.

If you think that giving each protagonist their own game is going to stop the more useless cameos, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree. The way I see it, it'd probably only get worse. The current team are masters of pointless cameos, adding characters to give one piece of evidence or whatever to further the story when it could've been handled much better. The simple fact is that they chose to focus almost entirely on Athena, and most other characters ended up in the background because of it.

There have been five games in the main series over the course of 12 years. Not to mention it's a relatively small franchise. And you want them to start developing separate games for each protagonist? Even though most people only recognize Phoenix? And this would somehow magically increase sales? I'm sorry, but that is simply not happening.


Ok, you make a fair point. I guess in my own mind I never considered the AA franchise small so i hadn't taken that into consideration. Still, something needs to be done about how poorly the other characters have been treated.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Posts: 970

adit2789 wrote:
Thane wrote:
adit2789 wrote:
Thats just it. Each character has "their own people/world" and in a combined game characters from each of the protagonists' "worlds" just get thrown in for the heck of it. It might be just me, but I didnt like seeing how phoenix took a back seat for (what seemed to be) most of the cases, Klavier and Edgeworth got thrown in for convenience, Pearl's and Trucy no longer have any purpose, etc.

I just think some division could yield some better character development. If capcom makes sure each character's game has a distinct story, I don't see how there would be a problem. Finally, if capcom did do something like this, they could stand to increase revenues, just because fans of one lawyer are likely fans of the other


I personally found Phoenix's character to be handled superbly while outside of court. He was shown to be a wise, caring mentor who with experience guided his protégées while hinting at his more colorful past. In court, however, he showed absolutely no character development whatsoever, and that was just disappointing. At least, that's what I thought in cases four and five; the first trial was handled well.

If you think that giving each protagonist their own game is going to stop the more useless cameos, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree. The way I see it, it'd probably only get worse. The current team are masters of pointless cameos, adding characters to give one piece of evidence or whatever to further the story when it could've been handled much better. The simple fact is that they chose to focus almost entirely on Athena, and most other characters ended up in the background because of it.

There have been five games in the main series over the course of 12 years. Not to mention it's a relatively small franchise. And you want them to start developing separate games for each protagonist? Even though most people only recognize Phoenix? And this would somehow magically increase sales? I'm sorry, but that is simply not happening.


Ok, you make a fair point. I guess in my own mind I never considered the AA franchise small so i hadn't taken that into consideration. Still, something needs to be done about how poorly the other characters have been treated.


What characters have been mistreated? While some cameos were indeed unnecessary, it certainly didn't hurt anybody. The biggest insult to a character was Phoenix acting like a kid on his way to the first day of school when he faced Edgeworth. Well, that and Klavier having about 0 development over the course of two games, but really, it's the fourth game's fault.
Image
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 5983

Thane wrote:
The current team are masters of pointless cameos, adding characters to give one piece of evidence or whatever to further the story when it could've been handled much better.

I have to disagree here. Though some cameos are indeed useless and/or serve a specific function in the game, it wouldn't be any better to insert a completely new character in their place. This new character would then need extra development in a game where developing several main characters at once is challenging enough. This is assuming we can't avoid the progression of a certain game mechanic, though. If we can, then simply take out that cameo altogether.

But then, we'd be faced with angry fans who were disappointed about how so-and-so wasn't in the game, or even worse, an angry producer who demanded to include said game mechanic. (Well, we can't do much about the former, and the latter won't exist by the time the game actually comes out.)

Thane wrote:
adit2789 wrote:
Ok, you make a fair point. I guess in my own mind I never considered the AA franchise small so i hadn't taken that into consideration. Still, something needs to be done about how poorly the other characters have been treated.


What characters have been mistreated? While some cameos were indeed unnecessary, it certainly didn't hurt anybody. The biggest insult to a character was Phoenix acting like a kid on his way to the first day of school when he faced Edgeworth. Well, that and Klavier having about 0 development over the course of two games, but really, it's the fourth game's fault.

I simply took that as a means to emphasize upon Edgeworth's mystifying and confounding aura... er, I mean their very friendly rivalry that borders on brotherhood. (You have to admit that most people in his presence seem to suddenly and mysteriously become confounded, especially when they face him. Edgeworth is hax. He is hax because Nick has Magatama. The circle is complete.)

(Oh, wait, no it isn't. We need to give Klavier some sort of superpower or special techniques that give him an edge in court. So far, he's just boring.)
Help! My parents are Phoenix Wright & Miles Edgeworth! Er, I mean they're irresponsible drunks!

Click here for the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney Translation Project Blog!
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.

Also, click here for the current archive of fanfiction or here for the backup archive. Click here for the blog that updates it.
Includes translations of misc. fan works related or not to AA.
Also, a very popular fanfic ask meme.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Posts: 970

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Thane wrote:
The current team are masters of pointless cameos, adding characters to give one piece of evidence or whatever to further the story when it could've been handled much better.

I have to disagree here. Though some cameos are indeed useless and/or serve a specific function in the game, it wouldn't be any better to insert a completely new character in their place. This new character would then need extra development in a game where developing several main characters at once is challenging enough. This is assuming we can't avoid the progression of a certain game mechanic, though. If we can, then simply take out that cameo altogether.

But then, we'd be faced with angry fans who were disappointed about how so-and-so wasn't in the game, or even worse, an angry producer who demanded to include said game mechanic. (Well, we can't do much about the former, and the latter won't exist by the time the game actually comes out.)

Thane wrote:
adit2789 wrote:
Ok, you make a fair point. I guess in my own mind I never considered the AA franchise small so i hadn't taken that into consideration. Still, something needs to be done about how poorly the other characters have been treated.


What characters have been mistreated? While some cameos were indeed unnecessary, it certainly didn't hurt anybody. The biggest insult to a character was Phoenix acting like a kid on his way to the first day of school when he faced Edgeworth. Well, that and Klavier having about 0 development over the course of two games, but really, it's the fourth game's fault.

I simply took that as a means to emphasize upon Edgeworth's mystifying and confounding aura... er, I mean their very friendly rivalry that borders on brotherhood. (You have to admit that most people in his presence seem to suddenly and mysteriously become confounded, especially when they face him. Edgeworth is hax. He is hax because Nick has Magatama. The circle is complete.)

(Oh, wait, no it isn't. We need to give Klavier some sort of superpower or special techniques that give him an edge in court. So far, he's just boring.)


That's the thing though, do we really need Oldbag in the last case of Ace Attorney Investigations to give us a clue when we already have Larry there, as well as people from the new cast? A lot of cameos are incredibly sketchy, and scenarios could be written differently as to avoid unnecessary fan service. I'm not saying they should get rid of cameos all together, but they do have a tendency to go overboard, particularly towards the end.

But Phoenix was practically MORE nervous facing Edgeworth this time around than when he was a rookie who had no clue what he was doing. It's like his confidence from Apollo Justice had all but evaporated.

Also, yes, people around Edgeworth DO seem to become significantly less intelligent and ready to praise the nearest handsome devil (which is usually him).
Image
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 5983

Thane wrote:
That's the thing though, do we really need Oldbag in the last case of Ace Attorney Investigations to give us a clue when we already have Larry there, as well as people from the new cast? A lot of cameos are incredibly sketchy, and scenarios could be written differently as to avoid unnecessary fan service. I'm not saying they should get rid of cameos all together, but they do have a tendency to go overboard, particularly towards the end.

Oldbag is an exception to rules everywhere. Don't you know why I'm genuinely creeped out by that woman!?

Okay, so Ema didn't need to show up randomly to say hi and spray some unidentifiable substance on the ground. Still, who'd want to wait for Forensics Guy A to show up several minutes later and do the same thing? If we didn't inspect those footprints, the investigation would go on for much longer, see.

Let's see... what other cameos were there in AAI? Don't count Larry, since he's practically part of the main cast as much as Franzy was. MVK was there because court. I admit Meekins and Bellboy were there for no reason, but I didn't find them impeding to the plot anyway. The former simply tried my patience, while the latter was at easter-egg level of subtlety.

Remind me of a few others. I can't seem to recall everyone right now...

Edit: Goodness, how could I have forgotten Maggey? Well, we know her luck is pretty bad, so becoming a suspect again wasn't anything to complain about. And of course, His Honor was there because he's always around.

Quote:
But Phoenix was practically MORE nervous facing Edgeworth this time around than when he was a rookie who had no clue what he was doing. It's like his confidence from Apollo Justice had all but evaporated.

Also, yes, people around Edgeworth DO seem to become significantly less intelligent and ready to praise the nearest handsome devil (which is usually him).

This is why Edgeworth is always annoyed and rarely smiles. If they're not idiots or sucking up to him, then they're inanimate objects or evils who end up in the clink anyway.

...Maybe that's why he became Chief Prosecutor, so he'd have a place in the Prosecutorial Committee to give others BS they deserve.

Edit: Either that, or he just wanted to stop getting BS from the former chief. I wonder how that exchange went down, anyway. Did the previous chief just retire because he was old and handed the position to Edgey, or was there an unknown incident we have yet to realize?
Help! My parents are Phoenix Wright & Miles Edgeworth! Er, I mean they're irresponsible drunks!

Click here for the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney Translation Project Blog!
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.

Also, click here for the current archive of fanfiction or here for the backup archive. Click here for the blog that updates it.
Includes translations of misc. fan works related or not to AA.
Also, a very popular fanfic ask meme.


Last edited by Rubia Ryu the Royal on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Posts: 1166

Thane wrote:
But Phoenix was practically MORE nervous facing Edgeworth this time around than when he was a rookie who had no clue what he was doing. It's like his confidence from Apollo Justice had all but evaporated.

The evidence in that case was not as decisive as in Cykes case. Also, we should not forget that it was but a day after the night in which Mia was murdered and her sister accused of murder. It was no time to be all nervous and overwhelmed by the very presence of prosecutor in charge.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Posts: 60

Thane wrote:

What characters have been mistreated? While some cameos were indeed unnecessary, it certainly didn't hurt anybody. The biggest insult to a character was Phoenix acting like a kid on his way to the first day of school when he faced Edgeworth. Well, that and Klavier having about 0 development over the course of two games, but really, it's the fourth game's fault.


Maybe mistreated was a strong word, but in my opinion thats exactly whats been done. Admittedly its nothing new when compared to AAI, but I still think that having characters like Klavier,Edgeworth,Pearl,Trucy, etc doing the job of an Oldbag/Larry type of character is beneath them and far less than they deserve.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title

The King of All

Gender: None specified

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:30 am

Posts: 566

adit2789 wrote:
Thane wrote:

What characters have been mistreated? While some cameos were indeed unnecessary, it certainly didn't hurt anybody. The biggest insult to a character was Phoenix acting like a kid on his way to the first day of school when he faced Edgeworth. Well, that and Klavier having about 0 development over the course of two games, but really, it's the fourth game's fault.


Maybe mistreated was a strong word, but in my opinion thats exactly whats been done. Admittedly its nothing new when compared to AAI, but I still think that having characters like Klavier,Edgeworth,Pearl,Trucy, etc doing the job of an Oldbag/Larry type of character is beneath them and far less than they deserve.

I have this question for others: does every main character in this series need some tragic backstory or character development?

Really, I see people bash Klavier all the time for having no character development, and I don't think that's right. I would hate it if one of these days, Klavier shows up and starts saying stuff like "oh this incident that happened 7 years ago that i never mentioned is coming back to haunt me boo hoo".

It wouldn't give him more personality, it would just feel weird for him to start saying stuff like this because that's not what his character is like.

Klavier does have a personality: an arrogant rockstar prosecutor, and if he doesn't have character development or personality, than neither does Ms. Perfect, Franziska Von Karma.
The king of all, Sir Duke
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 5983

Deadpool 9 wrote:
I have this question for others: does every main character in this series need some tragic backstory or character development?

Really, I see people bash Klavier all the time for having no character development, and I don't think that's right. I would hate it if one of these days, Klavier shows up and starts saying stuff like "oh this incident that happened 7 years ago that i never mentioned is coming back to haunt me boo hoo".

It wouldn't give him more personality, it would just feel weird for him to start saying stuff like this because that's not what his character is like.

Klavier does have a personality: an arrogant rockstar prosecutor, and if he doesn't have character development or personality, than neither does Ms. Perfect, Franziska Von Karma.

You don't want to push my rant button. >:)

It wouldn't make sense for Klavier to have a sad backstory. He already has a tragic present: big brother he always trusted turns out to be a paranoid psycho killer, and his best friend, investigative partner and fellow band member turns out to be a lowlife smuggler. And yet, he never seemed to show any emotion toward these mishaps. If he really was suffering during the final moments of the Misham trial, it sure didn't last too long. (Granted, when you have a psychotic brother arrested for attempted serial murder, you usually wouldn't want to associate with such a person anymore.) I wouldn't have wanted a sad Klavier in GS5, but since this game pretended Kristoph didn't exist, of course Klav wouldn't care. He just wanted to impress Athena and mock Apollo.

Besides, the problem isn't about a lack of a personality. It's about how after all that has happened, he's still the same guy since we first met him. Edgeworth switched sides in a trial he was winning, and this was the trial after his first loss. Franziska took a while to realize her own goals, but watching Phoenix happily accept a loss was enough for her to re-evaluate what "perfection" really meant and what her true goals were meant to be. Godot finally broke free from his nightmare when he came to terms with his own losses. Blackquill also suddenly switched sides in a case, but his reasons were for the sake of a specific someone. Klavier didn't need any sob-story development because he began as a goodie-two-shoes, fighting for the truth and stuff. Even if he does show up again in the next game, you can already guess how he's going to act.

Of course, being a goodie-two-shoes is NOT an excuse for no character development. Phoenix learned the true meaning of faith and trust during his adventures. Both Maya and Pearl learned responsibility. Even Larry learned that he was worth existing. Klavier, who could have learned a few things about people he should trust, probably learned his lesson and moved on, and we fans are none the wiser of his inner sentiments. Do you get where I'm coming from? This isn't something that can easily be fixed by bringing him back in another game.

After the little bit of his character I've experienced through the Quiz DLC of all things, he seems to have a slight amount of jealousy for Nick and his crew - understandably, given all the attention they've gotten.

I would really love to eat my words here when Klavier appears in the next game and is pissed off about always losing out on love and attention. Only then will I accept that he has developed his character.
Help! My parents are Phoenix Wright & Miles Edgeworth! Er, I mean they're irresponsible drunks!

Click here for the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney Translation Project Blog!
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.

Also, click here for the current archive of fanfiction or here for the backup archive. Click here for the blog that updates it.
Includes translations of misc. fan works related or not to AA.
Also, a very popular fanfic ask meme.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title

The King of All

Gender: None specified

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:30 am

Posts: 566

I don't need to throw you in rant mode, but Klavier did care about his brother. If you look at case 4, multiple times you see him in his sweating animation. Why is this? Because he's realizing that his brother killed more people and was the reason Phoenix was disbarred.

And a little more on that last point. Klavier has every reason to hate Kristoph in that case. He realized he was manipulated by Kristoph during Phoenix's last trial, and practically started the Dark Age of the Law. Not only that, but in case 4, Kristoph even threatens him by ruining his career as a rockstar and prosecutor if he doesn't stop trying to find the truth instead of striving for the guilty verdict.

Plus, he even has a special animation when he realized it was all over and that Kristoph would probably get the death sentence for being a serial killer. Also if he was the prosecutor for case 1 instead of Winston, I think you would see some character development out of him.
The king of all, Sir Duke
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Posts: 60

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Deadpool 9 wrote:
I have this question for others: does every main character in this series need some tragic backstory or character development?

Really, I see people bash Klavier all the time for having no character development, and I don't think that's right. I would hate it if one of these days, Klavier shows up and starts saying stuff like "oh this incident that happened 7 years ago that i never mentioned is coming back to haunt me boo hoo".

It wouldn't give him more personality, it would just feel weird for him to start saying stuff like this because that's not what his character is like.

Klavier does have a personality: an arrogant rockstar prosecutor, and if he doesn't have character development or personality, than neither does Ms. Perfect, Franziska Von Karma.

You don't want to push my rant button. >:)

It wouldn't make sense for Klavier to have a sad backstory. He already has a tragic present: big brother he always trusted turns out to be a paranoid psycho killer, and his best friend, investigative partner and fellow band member turns out to be a lowlife smuggler. And yet, he never seemed to show any emotion toward these mishaps. If he really was suffering during the final moments of the Misham trial, it sure didn't last too long. (Granted, when you have a psychotic brother arrested for attempted serial murder, you usually wouldn't want to associate with such a person anymore.) I wouldn't have wanted a sad Klavier in GS5, but since this game pretended Kristoph didn't exist, of course Klav wouldn't care. He just wanted to impress Athena and mock Apollo.

Besides, the problem isn't about a lack of a personality. It's about how after all that has happened, he's still the same guy since we first met him. Edgeworth switched sides in a trial he was winning, and this was the trial after his first loss. Franziska took a while to realize her own goals, but watching Phoenix happily accept a loss was enough for her to re-evaluate what "perfection" really meant and what her true goals were meant to be. Godot finally broke free from his nightmare when he came to terms with his own losses. Blackquill also suddenly switched sides in a case, but his reasons were for the sake of a specific someone. Klavier didn't need any sob-story development because he began as a goodie-two-shoes, fighting for the truth and stuff. Even if he does show up again in the next game, you can already guess how he's going to act.

Of course, being a goodie-two-shoes is NOT an excuse for no character development. Phoenix learned the true meaning of faith and trust during his adventures. Both Maya and Pearl learned responsibility. Even Larry learned that he was worth existing. Klavier, who could have learned a few things about people he should trust, probably learned his lesson and moved on, and we fans are none the wiser of his inner sentiments. Do you get where I'm coming from? This isn't something that can easily be fixed by bringing him back in another game.

After the little bit of his character I've experienced through the Quiz DLC of all things, he seems to have a slight amount of jealousy for Nick and his crew - understandably, given all the attention they've gotten.

I would really love to eat my words here when Klavier appears in the next game and is pissed off about always losing out on love and attention. Only then will I accept that he has developed his character.


I don't think you're being particularly fair to Klavier in that assessment considering we didn't get all that much time with him in AA5. Since he was put into the game just to provide evidence and new facts, I think it would be a little premature of us to say there has been no change. However, I cant deny that it would be interesting to see Klavier come back as a very jealous, arrogant, and bitter prosecutor.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

How ironic

Gender: Male

Location: Canada, eh?

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Posts: 1933

How could he come back as a jealous and bitter prosecutor? Wouldn't that be incredibly out of character? I can't see him ending up like that unless some major event happens between GS5 and GS6, even then it would be a stretch.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Posts: 60

dimentiorules wrote:
How could he come back as a jealous and bitter prosecutor? Wouldn't that be incredibly out of character? I can't see him ending up like that unless some major event happens between GS5 and GS6, even then it would be a stretch.


Not necessarily. Like it was mentioned above, the quiz dlc does indicate some small amount of jealousy of phoenix. If that jealousy was allowed to fester, i can see how klavier could undergo some dramatic changes
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 5983

Deadpool 9 wrote:
I don't need to throw you in rant mode, but Klavier did care about his brother. If you look at case 4, multiple times you see him in his sweating animation. Why is this? Because he's realizing that his brother killed more people and was the reason Phoenix was disbarred.

Oh, you mean that sweating animation we've seen every time Apollo manages to one-up him?

I'm don't deny that his "damage" animations are filled with emotion; in fact, they are. It just becomes a bit difficult to distinguish after a while.

Quote:
Plus, he even has a special animation when he realized it was all over and that Kristoph would probably get the death sentence for being a serial killer. Also if he was the prosecutor for case 1 instead of Winston, I think you would see some character development out of him.

That special animation was a nice touch, I admit. Of all the ways he could have blown his top, he decided to keep his cool. And, yes, if he was given another case to take, I would hope we could see a little more from him than what has been established. (Still, not including a Payne brother in a game is like spitting in the face of that series "tradition". It's not like we need either one at all, but they do make good cameo characters.)

I suppose I have a certain line from him in GS5 to blame. "No need for goodbyes, since I'll be seeing you around anyway." (or something like it) If it was someone like Larry who said it, it'd be fine because he's a recurring comic relief character. We expect him to return for no reason. Klavier was never meant to be someone like that, but he seems to be taking that direction regardless. Nevertheless, his rivalry with Apollo is one of the things I respect about him. It shows a blatant contrast to the previous generation's primary rivalry.

I swear, I'm becoming more and more like a character who'd fit right into this universe we're talking about.

dimentiorules wrote:
How could he come back as a jealous and bitter prosecutor? Wouldn't that be incredibly out of character? I can't see him ending up like that unless some major event happens between GS5 and GS6, even then it would be a stretch.

It's not the major events that have the longest impact, but the culmination of minor ones. ;)
adit2789 wrote:
Not necessarily. Like it was mentioned above, the quiz dlc does indicate some small amount of jealousy of phoenix. If that jealousy was allowed to fester, i can see how klavier could undergo some dramatic changes

Granted, while Turnabout Deduction isn't explicitly stated as non-canon, it falls into the range of sort-of-but-not-really-canon. Either way, the fact the dev team suddenly put him in there all of a sudden does imply that they wanted to star Klavier a bit more than what little time he had otherwise. It'd be an odd place to include any foreshadowing in the canon story, but if they do follow it, then it logically suggests that even a Japan-exclusive extra DLC can have a part in future plans.
Help! My parents are Phoenix Wright & Miles Edgeworth! Er, I mean they're irresponsible drunks!

Click here for the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney Translation Project Blog!
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.

Also, click here for the current archive of fanfiction or here for the backup archive. Click here for the blog that updates it.
Includes translations of misc. fan works related or not to AA.
Also, a very popular fanfic ask meme.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title

The King of All

Gender: None specified

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:30 am

Posts: 566

I really wish we could've seen Klavier prosecute in case 1, though. I know it's tradition and all that a Payne has to prosecute the first case, but I really think we could've seen serious development and character out of Klavier. I think by case 4, he wasn't be as shocked to see his brother guilty of killing someone, which would've been interesting to watch his reaction of the first time Kristoph is guilty of murder.
The king of all, Sir Duke
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Quiet, please, it's snack time!

Gender: Female

Location: Melbourne

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 am

Posts: 35

I personally liked having the multiple main characters so I would like to see that return. However, if we can get more spin-off games like AAI, then that would be cool too. A prosecutors game (one where you actually take the prosecution role in court) would be nice, and I'd personally like to see maybe Franziska in that because I find her interesting and would like to see her character explored further.

And yeah, you can probably guess it, but I'd also like a forensics/detective spin off starring you-know-who.
Image
Image
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Ace Explorer

Gender: Male

Location: The Yggdrasil Labyrinth

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:04 am

Posts: 737

fantanoice wrote:
And yeah, you can probably guess it, but I'd also like a forensics/detective spin off starring you-know-who.

Actually, I agree. The 'forensics' style of investigation always was fun to me. ...And Ema's an interesting character (or at least fun to watch).
Image
Well? Are we going or what?
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Logic ~ The Way To The Truth

Gender: Male

Location: H.P.'s Office, Room 1202, Portugal

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:44 pm

Posts: 91

fantanoice wrote:
I personally liked having the multiple main characters so I would like to see that return. However, if we can get more spin-off games like AAI, then that would be cool too. A prosecutors game (one where you actually take the prosecution role in court) would be nice, and I'd personally like to see maybe Franziska in that because I find her interesting and would like to see her character explored further.

And yeah, you can probably guess it, but I'd also like a forensics/detective spin off starring you-know-who.


I've read the AAI series was supposed to star Ema Skye originally.

And about your idea, I want that as well, for the sake of love and my heart.
ImageImageImage


Get away from my Miles, you old windbag!
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Posts: 60

Wow! never thought about a prosecutor oriented game till now. I would love to see that happen. I would be interested to see Godot as the prosecutor in charge though. Maybe have him go up against a robert hammond type of attorney
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Kevin Wright: Ace Attorney

Gender: Male

Location: Wright and Co. Law Offices

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Posts: 44

I just wan another one where you play as Phoenix the whole time and Maya as his assistant.
Kevin Ace Attorney Image Image
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1624

There's no need honestly. It would require another writer or something as well if they were to release within the same year. I think Phoenix' story is done and DD pulled him out from his slump. That was enough for me, now the franchise should focus on Apollo... and NOT Athena. The reason is not that I don't like her (and I don't) but rather that with all the backstory and being center-focus in DD she's already got so much "depth" that I don't see how they can go further in AA6 without making me feel like they're forcing it. The amount of attention she gets in AA5 was already done to the point where it threw me off.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Posts: 60

linkenski wrote:
There's no need honestly. It would require another writer or something as well if they were to release within the same year. I think Phoenix' story is done and DD pulled him out from his slump. That was enough for me, now the franchise should focus on Apollo... and NOT Athena. The reason is not that I don't like her (and I don't) but rather that with all the backstory and being center-focus in DD she's already got so much "depth" that I don't see how they can go further in AA6 without making me feel like they're forcing it. The amount of attention she gets in AA5 was already done to the point where it threw me off.


I agree that Athena has had more depth provided for her right off the bat than any other, but I'm not sure I agree that they can't move forward with her. Honestly, I thought phoenix was well explored near the end of the first game, so its too early to tell regarding Athena.

My point was that , the AA universe is getting a little too crowded, and pushing any of the central characters to the side (in my opinion) would be a disservice to the characters
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Location: Valinor

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:43 pm

Posts: 69

I don't think they should and to be honest I don't think Capcom should make anymore AA games there running out of ideas logic chess a bracelet and now a device that allows you to view a characters emotions
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Hello! Hello! *squawk*

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:38 am

Posts: 66

I think it would be good for each game to focus on a single protagonist. While I would've been fine with Phoenix serving as the min character and Apollo as deuteragonist (vice versa could work too), adding in a third attorney wasn't the best decision in my opinion. As for having separate games with different perspectives of the same story, I agree that that would spoil too much.

Honestly, I think things will just get kind of cluttered with three protagonists. For character development and story purposes, I think it would be better for each game to have one clear protagonist. Phoenix and Apollo could each star in different games, but could still show up in each other's series, maybe even taking a single case in the other series sometimes. Phoenix has gotten his character development, whereas Apollo still has room to grow, so their respective series would have different tones. And Edgeworth can stay the clear protagonist of Investigations. As for Athena, well, I'm sure she can fit in somewhere.

All of this is just my opinion, of course.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Gender: None specified

Location: Between the blue and the red

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:49 am

Posts: 136

I agree. From what I'm watching so far in the DD Let's Play, I acmt figure if I'm supposed to concentrate more on Athena or Apollo. I do like both their characters so far, and how everything ties into the Dark Age of the Law.

We'll see how they all fit into AA6. Hopefully some loose ends will be tied up.

For characterization, I just satisfy my cravings with fanfics.

EstelRaca on Fanfiction.Net writes really good insights on the AA characters, humanizing many of them whom you say are "without personality " throug psychological analysis. I don't know how this works yet because behavioral med isn't until next sem, but still.

.

As for splitting, better not. Others above me have explained why.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Posts: 13

My proposal for how the AA franchise could actually proceed, and flesh out its characters a lot more would actually be very different. Instead of every few years releasing a game, make the series episodic. So I actually think that it would be more interesting to release 2-3 cases a year on an indefinite basis. Stories could focus on different characters without having to tie to a 4-5 case arc. Character and and plot development would just go on and on instead of having to be tied to the constructs of a game. This format really fits with the AA series, because most of the time the core gameplay and assets are just carried over from one title to another except for when there is a switch between consoles.

I'd probably envision it being more like TV. You could have different writers for different cases, so that they could be produced simultaneously and still have a director that manages it as a whole and keeps the ongoing plot and consistency in balance. I've always actually seen each Ace Attorney game as a season anyway. How about much longer seasons, and much shorter waits in between episodes?
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Posts: 7

I think this is a great idea. However, it is too late. In my opinion it should have been the idea for Apollo Justice. I will admit I have not played the series in general for a while and the last one I played was the dual destinies first case.

I think for me I started losing interest with the series with Apollo Justice. I think the problem was the game should have been part of the franchise but should have been focused exclusively on Apollo, Apollo's own cases, new characters and not bring back previous characters. The reason is then the series could have developed the new characters, new cases for that series and perhaps brought on newer styles of play. If they did decide to continue Phoenix Wright's story they could pick up from the 3rd game because to me his story in Apollo Justice felt odd. Also this way people could play as different main characters and it would not affect previous characters.
Re: Splitting the AA games in two/three? good or not?Topic%20Title
User avatar

mfw no f2

Gender: None specified

Location: ???

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

Posts: 3518

Now that SoJ has come out,I could see this happening. Make two games-one set in Japanifornia and one in Khura'in with their own separate storylines. I think it would work well if it would focus only on one of these at a time.
Hi, I'm Socot. But you can call me SC.

Story CrafterSC's Case Rankings™SC's LinksMysterious QR CodeLore on Socot

Since you can't use images in sigs anymore, I've resorted to unauthorised distribution of cookies. Have one! :cookie:
Page 1 of 2 [ 44 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO