Court Records
http://forums.court-records.net/

Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?
http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30521
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Gammalad [ Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

So with how much of a success Dual Destinies was outside of Japan, I thought for sure CAPCOM would have enough confidence in its fans to bring future titles in physical form to the west. However I was a bit upset to hear that the Phoenix Wright Trilogy was going to be download only. However after that announcement I have run into many people saying get over the fact that there will never be another physical Ace Attorney game in the west ever. Now what I want to know, do you think thats true? Do you think AA6,DGS and GK3 would only come to the west as digital downloads only? Ace Attorney is known to be a competent selling franchise with CAPCOM so I wouldn't see why they would never bring a physical release ever. I honestly think getting rid of the option between physical and digital hurts a lot of potential sales. Some games I expect to be digital only (like the Trilogy pack and if they were ever to localized GK2), but I have hope that future titles will get the respect they deserve when they are localized. So what do you all think? Do you think Ace Attorney is doomed to never have a physical launch again? Or do you expect CAPCOM to have a little more faith in future installments?

Author:  Pierre [ Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Never bothered me with Dual Destinies.

Author:  Going for Miles [ Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

It wouldn't surprise me at all, but personally I think it'd be kind of sad, I like to see my collection grow.

Author:  Gammalad [ Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

GoingforMiles wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me at all, but personally I think it'd be kind of sad, I like to see my collection grow.

Same here, it would suck if I had to import future installments to complete my collection :L, honestly I just hope CAPCOM gives an option in the future for like a time released physical copy of the game if they did go the digital route.

Author:  JesusMonroe [ Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Pierre wrote:
Never bothered me with Dual Destinies.

Me, too. I don't really see what the huge issue is bar the fact that you can't rent the game

Author:  Rubia Ryu the Royal [ Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Capcom is going for digital-only because they want to speed up the release process. Though cutting costs is a good idea for future productions, they don't absolutely need to. Capcom as a video game company is still going on strong, and the AA department is too, albeit with not as large a share as other departments, but it's still building.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did cut off physical copies, but the demand for physical copies has been degrading in recent years. Whatever profits they'd earn may or may not make up for the time to print all those copies (since the actual cost to print them is relatively low). I'd rather they focus on getting later games here.

Nonetheless, if they're taking shortcuts to releasing games faster, they still ought to keep quality control in check. DD has more typos than in any other AA game thus far. Fortunately, the few noticeable glitches aren't too bad and can be cleaned with putting the 3DS at rest for a bit. This is still the first mainstream AA title to be featured on the 3DS, so use a different UI from that in PLvsAA.

Author:  dimentiorules [ Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

I honestly don't see the big deal. The Ace Attorney games aren't exactly the biggest when it comes to file size, and it would almost be a bit of a waste of a cartridge nowadays, since most of the space on the cartridge wouldn't be used. Most retail games nowadays have a lot more content than the AA series does, so it makes sense for it to be a download only game. Lots of games are digital only, like Super Meat Boy, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, and the Bit Trip Series.

Author:  Gammalad [ Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Honestly I think making the series digital only feels like a downgrade of the series, I have some friends who think Ace Attorney is just an indie game and not some major IP from CAPCOM. I feel like CAPCOM should have an option open for its fans who want a physical copy of the game.

Author:  dimentiorules [ Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Just be happy we're getting the games at all. Would you rather they be Japan Only?

Author:  Going for Miles [ Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Of course nobody outside of Japan would want them not to be released outside of Japan, but you can have complaints and/or wishes anyway.

Author:  Gammalad [ Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

dimentiorules wrote:
Just be happy we're getting the games at all. Would you rather they be Japan Only?

Yes I do, but I also want to be treated like a fan of the series and not thrown to the wayside by CAPCOM. I know I will still buy the games if they were digitial only, but I feel like the games should get the respect they deserve in a physical release.

Author:  Pierre [ Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Gammalad wrote:
dimentiorules wrote:
Just be happy we're getting the games at all. Would you rather they be Japan Only?

Yes I do, but I also want to be treated like a fan of the series and not thrown to the wayside by CAPCOM. I know I will still buy the games if they were digitial only, but I feel like the games should get the respect they deserve in a physical release.


Sony already tried making a platform based entirely on Digital Releases.

Whose to say having a digital release is inferior? Frankly if they didn't bother to release it digitally but released it physically I'd say it's a much greater kick to the curb.

Author:  Yash K. Productions [ Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

I agree that we should just stick with however a game is released (For example, I got all of my Assassin's Creed games as digital downloads for my PS3.) Boycotting it because it's digital-only will only result in bad sales, and pretty soon, the Ace Attorney series will be doomed to be in Japan only.

Author:  TheDoctor [ Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Maybe if enough people buy the physical copies of PLvsAA, Capcom might consider using that format again for future U.S. releases?

Author:  AireyVerkhovensky [ Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

I don't see how it matters as long as the series continues to sell well. And maybe they can use the money they save by not putting them on cartridges to hire proofreaders (proofplayers?) to spot the typos before the game comes out.

That said, I loaned my friend Dual Destinies and my brother hasn't seen his 3DS in weeks and is bugging me about where it went. This is no coincidence... :yogi:

Author:  EdgeEmblem [ Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

TheDoctor wrote:
Maybe if enough people buy the physical copies of PLvsAA, Capcom might consider using that format again for future U.S. releases?

Dammit, you mentioned the fact before I could. Anyways, yeah, what the good doctor here has said is true. Although, now that i'm thinking about it, the sales of PLvsAA, good or bad, will not affect Capcoms decision, as it is Level 5 who are publishing it.Hell, Level 5 pretty much owns the game. Capcom only helped with sound design.

Author:  Internetakias [ Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

EdgeEmblem wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
Maybe if enough people buy the physical copies of PLvsAA, Capcom might consider using that format again for future U.S. releases?

Dammit, you mentioned the fact before I could. Anyways, yeah, what the good doctor here has said is true. Although, now that i'm thinking about it, the sales of PLvsAA, good or bad, will not affect Capcoms decision, as it is Level 5 who are publishing it.Hell, Level 5 pretty much owns the game. Capcom only helped with sound design.

IIRC, Kazuya Nuri from Capcom was part of the character design team.

Author:  Ash [ Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

EdgeEmblem wrote:
Capcom only helped with sound design.


Capcom did more than just that.

Quote:
How was the development structured?
Takumi: The game's planning and sounds of the Professor Layton and Ace Attorney parts were handled by its own company. Programming was done by Level 5, character design and graphics by Capcom, we divided the workload kinda like that. What cost a lot of time was the story. Together with Hino, we had several 'boot camps' at Level 5's Shinagawa site.
(from a 2012 interview a few months before the game's release)

Author:  EdgeEmblem [ Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Oh. I read the Iwata asks with Takumi san and Professor Layton's developer(who's name alludes me) A while ago, when it was announced in europe. The only thing I clearly remembered them saying abut capcom's part in the game was sound design. My bad :meekins:
Anyhow, my point is, Level 5 owns the game, for the most part, and capcom would most likely pay attention to main series installments because, for all they know, sales could come from the Layton fanbase, not the other(not saying it is, just saying they can't really tell).

Author:  NinjaMonkey [ Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

I would rather get a digital-only copy of the next AA game, than have it be on a cart and not be released outside of Japan.

Gammalad wrote:
I have some friends who think Ace Attorney is just an indie game and not some major IP from CAPCOM.


I think calling Ace Attorney one of Capcom's major IP's is a bit overdoing it, especially since AA's sales are nothing compared to some of Capcom's more popular/mainstream franchises (Resident Evil/Devil May Cry/Monster Hunter).

Author:  Chloe [ Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

As long as I get my ace attorney game, I'm happy.

Author:  Gammalad [ Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Gammalad wrote:
I have some friends who think Ace Attorney is just an indie game and not some major IP from CAPCOM.


I think calling Ace Attorney one of Capcom's major IP's is a bit overdoing it, especially since AA's sales are nothing compared to some of Capcom's more popular/mainstream franchises (Resident Evil/Devil May Cry/Monster Hunter).

See it this way they are giving our beloved Blue Ace Attorney more love and attention then a certain Blue bomber, so to them the series must be big.

Author:  Pierre [ Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Gammalad wrote:
NinjaMonkey wrote:
Gammalad wrote:
I have some friends who think Ace Attorney is just an indie game and not some major IP from CAPCOM.


I think calling Ace Attorney one of Capcom's major IP's is a bit overdoing it, especially since AA's sales are nothing compared to some of Capcom's more popular/mainstream franchises (Resident Evil/Devil May Cry/Monster Hunter).

See it this way they are giving our beloved Blue Ace Attorney more love and attention then a certain Blue bomber, so to them the series must be big.


Well the creator of the Blue Bomber left and started doing his own new Blue Bomber. I don't think they are all that sure what to do with Megaman at this point and there's probably a lot of resentment towards them about Megaman anyway seeing as they let the creator go (or he maybe quit). Either way I think there was certainly some infighting behind his leaving Capcom.

Author:  EdgeEmblem [ Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Well, as long as we get a new ace attorney game. PL vs. PW is gonna be released physically(I think.) The ace attorney remakes fr the 3ds is download only, like dual destinies.We're most likely neve gonna see an NTSC cart of a main series AA game ever again, but whatever.

Author:  Gammalad [ Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

EdgeEmblem wrote:
Well, as long as we get a new ace attorney game. PL vs. PW is gonna be released physically(I think.) The ace attorney remakes fr the 3ds is download only, like dual destinies.We're most likely neve gonna see an NTSC cart of a main series AA game ever again, but whatever.

Well I still have some hope that AA6 will have a physical release

Author:  EdgeEmblem [ Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Gammalad wrote:
EdgeEmblem wrote:
Well, as long as we get a new ace attorney game. PL vs. PW is gonna be released physically(I think.) The ace attorney remakes fr the 3ds is download only, like dual destinies.We're most likely neve gonna see an NTSC cart of a main series AA game ever again, but whatever.

Well I still have some hope that AA6 will have a physical release

I'm still waiting for the announcement of AA6. :ron:

Author:  Klonoahedgehog [ Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

EdgeEmblem wrote:
Well, as long as we get a new ace attorney game. PL vs. PW is gonna be released physically(I think.) The ace attorney remakes fr the 3ds is download only, like dual destinies.We're most likely neve gonna see an NTSC cart of a main series AA game ever again, but whatever.

This is really depressing for me as a fan because i feel like i can't consider something my property if i don't have physical evidence.

Author:  NinjaMonkey [ Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Gammalad wrote:
See it this way they are giving our beloved Blue Ace Attorney more love and attention then a certain Blue bomber


Except that's not true - Capcom will be putting seven Mega Man games on the Wii U Virtual Console this year, whilst Ace Attorney will only be getting the HD Trilogy release (and his crossover with Layton, if you happen to live in North America) this year.

Oh, and Mega Man happens to be playable in the 3DS/Wii U versions of SSB...

Author:  Pierre [ Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Gammalad wrote:
See it this way they are giving our beloved Blue Ace Attorney more love and attention then a certain Blue bomber


Except that's not true - Capcom will be putting seven Mega Man games on the Wii U Virtual Console this year, whilst Ace Attorney will only be getting the HD Trilogy release (and his crossover with Layton, if you happen to live in North America) this year.

Oh, and Mega Man happens to be playable in the 3DS/Wii U versions of SSB...


Awesome, I was hoping to continue my playthrough of old Megaman games.

Author:  linkenski [ Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Pierre wrote:
Never bothered me with Dual Destinies.

This, but I will say it's nice to have PLvsPWAA in a proper cartridge and have the game on my shelf, but honestly it doesn't matter to me in the end. Like Reggie Fils-Aime would've said, "PLAY. THE. GAME!"

But I think as long as it's Capcom, and they're doing as poorly as they are as of right now, you can bet everything Ace Attorney is gonna be Digital Only. If they do better in the future I guess we could see them return to form, but it shouldn't be likely since Digital purchases are increasing in this generation, not to mention that I believe MS said they pictured the future of Xbox to be entirely digital after this generation.

Author:  Yash K. Productions [ Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

EdgeEmblem wrote:
Gammalad wrote:
EdgeEmblem wrote:
Well, as long as we get a new ace attorney game. PL vs. PW is gonna be released physically(I think.) The ace attorney remakes fr the 3ds is download only, like dual destinies.We're most likely neve gonna see an NTSC cart of a main series AA game ever again, but whatever.

Well I still have some hope that AA6 will have a physical release

I'm still waiting for the announcement of AA6. :ron:

And AAI3? Come on, don't neglect Investigations! :edgeworth: :sadshoe:

Author:  EdgeEmblem [ Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

U mad, blackquill? :karma:

Author:  Gammalad [ Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Pretty sure we will get GK3, however don't be upset if its Edgeworth's game again and not Blackquills

Author:  Gammalad [ Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Gammalad wrote:
See it this way they are giving our beloved Blue Ace Attorney more love and attention then a certain Blue bomber


Except that's not true - Capcom will be putting seven Mega Man games on the Wii U Virtual Console this year, whilst Ace Attorney will only be getting the HD Trilogy release (and his crossover with Layton, if you happen to live in North America) this year.

Oh, and Mega Man happens to be playable in the 3DS/Wii U versions of SSB...

It still is pretty true. What was the last new Mega Man game? Its nice to see a lot of the games coming to VC, but even a lot of my friends who are die hard Mega Man fans noticed that Phoenix Wright is getting more love from them than Mega Man.

Author:  linkenski [ Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

GyakutenFanatic wrote:
EdgeEmblem wrote:
Gammalad wrote:
Well I still have some hope that AA6 will have a physical release

I'm still waiting for the announcement of AA6. :ron:

And AAI3? Come on, don't neglect Investigations! :edgeworth: :sadshoe:

I can imagine the team must feel priviledged to have the honor of carrying the future of the main series in their hands so making AA6 rather than GK3 must be tempting, but the team is pretty passionate, I can tell, so I guess they'll vouch with their hearts about what part of the series they want to make next. I hope it's AA6 because I liked Dual Destinies more than AAI and AAI2, mostly just because of the presentation I think, or maybe because I like Apollo and Nick more than Edgeworth as protagonists.

Author:  Gammalad [ Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

linkenski wrote:
I can imagine the team must feel priviledged to have the honor of carrying the future of the main series in their hands so making AA6 rather than GK3 must be tempting, but the team is pretty passionate, I can tell, so I guess they'll vouch with their hearts about what part of the series they want to make next. I hope it's AA6 because I liked Dual Destinies more than AAI and AAI2, mostly just because of the presentation I think, or maybe because I like Apollo and Nick more than Edgeworth as protagonists.

I think we will probably get both AA6 and GK3 in the same time frame of each other honestly, I actually think we will see GK3 before AA6, thats just my opinion.

Author:  linkenski [ Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Define "same time-frame"

Takumi is making Dai GS for 2015 or later and the GK team has been pushing out games every 2 years. I'm thinking a GS6 is more relevant at this point.

Author:  linkenski [ Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

Define "same time-frame"

Takumi is making Dai GS for 2015 or later and the GK team has been pushing out games every 2 years. I'm thinking a GS6 is more relevant at this point.

Author:  D.A. McCoy [ Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

I tend to be very pessimistic when it comes to AA's western releases, probably so I won't be disappointed.

At this point, I don't really see us ever getting a physical AA cartridge again. I would love nothing more than to get one, don't get me wrong (my shelf looks so strange with no DD on it) but I just don't see it happening.

To add to that, I'm actually very concerned that we won't get Dai Gyakuten Saiban at all. I'd love nothing more than to be wrong, but it seems like Capcom would look at that and just say "too much work". If we get it at all, digitally or physically, then I will be extremely happy.

I think getting GK3 is slightly more likely, since it would most likely be easier to localize than Dai Gyakuten Saiban would, but considering we didn't get GK2 we might not get it, unless they deliberately try to avoid GK2 references. (Which they might; the AA team seems like they really want the games to be released in the west).

Most likely in my opinion is that we'll get AA6. Dual Destinies seemed to do well, according to the Capcom sales data, so I would imagine that it will probably come out here.

With 3 or more AA games coming up, I should be really happy, but until I hear something from Capcom US about it, I'm assuming the worst.

So back on topic, while I'd love a physical release, I just don't see it happening in the near future.

Author:  Kevin Ace Attorney [ Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Ace Attorney Doomed to be Digital Only in The West?

None of you should be defending Crapcom in this matter. I think it depends all on who buys Capcom and what they want to do with the series. That being said I believe it should release in both formats so that people have options to choose from how they can buy it.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/