Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 1[ 16 posts ]

Dai Gyakuten Saiban Case IdeasTopic%20Title

Kevin Wright: Ace Attorney

What ideas do you guys have for cases in DGS?
Kevin Ace Attorney Image Image
Re: Dai Gyakuten Saiban Case IdeasTopic%20Title

Gardevoir lover

Shelly de killer, that is all.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Y'know

I don't think we'll see Shelly there...

The first De Killer appeared in early 1900s, so that'd be literally the very end of the Meiji era. I wonder whether Takumi is going to pull an Assassin's Creed with the historical events.

That might make for some epic climax though.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Nearavex wrote:
I don't think we'll see Shelly there...

The first De Killer appeared in early 1900s, so that'd be literally the very end of the Meiji era. I wonder whether Takumi is going to pull an Assassin's Creed with the historical events.

That might make for some epic climax though.

The three tenets of the Lawyer's Creed:

1: Always believe in your client, no matter what happens.
2: The worst of times are when lawyers have to force their biggest smiles.
3. The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Y'know

Ah, no, no, what I meant by that comparison was entangling your fictional plot with historical events.

Still, pretty sure all of the characters will be fictional, too. I don't picture any real life people ever used in Ace Attorney, unless it's a total parody. The only way something like these would work, would be mostly mentioning the events, and giving the characters some role in it.

Part of me thinks DGS won't have the game split up into multiple cases and just be one case with loads of massive twists and turns. Kinda like PWvLayton (although there were separate chapters it was all one massive case really)

1000% Knight

This is an idea I randomly had yesterday... DGS takes place in the Meiji era, so after a bit of googling, I think it'd be the right time period for left/right horizontal handwriting shenanigans, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, the killer is named 桜木十 (Sakuragi... Hisashi, or Mitsuru, or Tsuji, or something like that, according to the website I checked). The victim leaves a dying message in blood, but since this is older Japan, they write it right-to-left: 十木桜. Seeing the message, the killer adds two strokes, turning it into... 千本桜!! Naturally, the defendant is named Chimoto Sakura, and I'm sure another fake solution or two for the meaning of "千本桜" can be put in.

I think it might actually be a bit too early for left-to-right horizontal writing, but if necessary, they can make the victim a Westerner who was living in Japan; they could just think that he wrote it left-to-right since he's a foreigner (even though he knew Japanese, and his actual message was properly right-to-left.)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

元・超会社員級の管理人

So what you're saying is you hate the localization team.

(That's actually a fun twist on the 'fake dying message' trope, though.)
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

1000% Knight

Bolt Storm wrote:
So what you're saying is you hate the localization team.

(That's actually a fun twist on the 'fake dying message' trope, though.)

From the premise and setting, I don't think it would make it that much more difficult from them :P

I'm sure the "add strokes to the kanji to turn it into completely other kanji" has already been done a billion times already in Japanese mystery fiction, but that's one I just happened to come up with on my own.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Localization wouldn't be too tough, actually. They'd have room to add or subtract letters if need be.

So, supposing we can call the killer "Jenny Redwood" in the localization, the suspect's name can be "Sherry Birch".
Spoiler: Solution
Add a few squigglies to "J" and you get an "S" and "h" stuck together. The "n's" can be mistaken for messily scrawled "r's". And the "R" made to look like a "B" can be the last letter written before the victim passes out.

I chose them both to have colorful tree last names because I just had trees on mind and it's symbolic that way. Red for death and white for innocence.

And this one, I came up with myself after a bit of thinking. Creating puzzles is tough...
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

1000% Knight

Nice thinking! You even got to keep it as trees, which could certainly play with it. I think tricks like this would be a lot easier in Japanese than English, since there are so many kanji but they all have common radicals, meaning there are lots of possibilities for slightly altering them, whereas English has much fewer characters, and they're must more 'set' than Japanese.

迷探偵

Bad Player wrote:
This is an idea I randomly had yesterday... DGS takes place in the Meiji era, so after a bit of googling, I think it'd be the right time period for left/right horizontal handwriting shenanigans, but I'm not 100% sure.

It's a bit vague, but Meiji would definitely be the best period for the trick, I think.

To put it in the right historical context: (educated) people had been aware of left-to-right writing for centuries in Japan because of Dutch studies in Edo. From Meiji on, you'd see texts both from left-to-right, and right-to-left, though the latter was more common (most, but not all, newspapers/advertisements etc. had right-> left). But there was no real standard, nor rule, and vertical writing was still the norm.

Though it seems that until the post-war switch to the left-right writing we know now, their 横書き was not seen as the same as foreign ’horizontal writing', but just a variation of the 'classic' Japanese writing from right-to-left, top-to-bottom.

Spoiler: The catch being that each line only had one space.
So:
[6][5][4][3][2][1]
[へ][ほ][に][は][ろ][い]

was just:

[2][1]
[に][い]
[ほ][ろ]
[へ][は]

with fewer lines

So I think Japanese people in Meiji, especially if someone not particularly connected with international affairs, would default to vertical writing as horizontal writing was mostly for printed or translated material, and even their 横書き was actually just a variation on 縦書き. So for a story, I think it'd work better with a foreigner.

And just to ask the hard to avoid question when dealing with dying message stories: why the hell write out 桜 with your own blood as you're dying, if さくら is shorter/easier :P
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:
And just to ask the hard to avoid question when dealing with dying message stories: why the hell write out 桜 with your own blood as you're dying, if さくら is shorter/easier :P

Now I want this question to be in the game just so we can answer, "The victim was an artiste! He couldn't end his life without making his dying message beautiful!"
Spoiler: Hypothetically speaking
The truth is that the character WAS written by the victim, but wasn't written in blood. It just looked red and was next to the bloody message so everyone assumed it was blood.

Cue plot twist: the victim was actually trying to fake his own death and tried framing someone for it. Said victim of framing then made the death real.

And somewhere in there, there's a tree pun just for kicks.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Last edited by Rubia Ryu the Royal on Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Still hyped for this one, but I must say I'm also dumbfounded by the fact that Takumi decides to make this a historically themed Ace Attorney and then the first thing he says in an interview is "I suck at history, so I don't know a lot about the Meiji Era".

I wonder how that's going to show in the game?
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

I think he means he's going to go modern with some things in the game that don't accurately reflect how Japan in the Meiji era was supposed to be like.

For example, according to Ash:
Quote:
That reminds me, Hakata Tonkotsu ramen wouldn't be invented/accidently made until... early Showa. And while I know less about Sapporo Miso ramen, I'm pretty sure that Mayoi's favorite food was also invited fairly late, maybe even after WWII. (Yes, I have random knowledge about random things. Incidently, one of the best read posts on my blog on detective fiction is, a blog solely about ramen restaurants).

But you know what? This series isn't the same without tonkotsu or miso ramen. Well, okay, maybe it'll live anyway, but it doesn't feel the same without Nick's and Maya's favorites...

On the other hand, they get to have lots and lots of meat.

So I did a search and they don't have honetsuki steaks yet. D:

By the way, Ash, do you know of any particularly famous dishes that originated in the Meiji era?

迷探偵

So I once followed a (university level) class about the history of Japanese cuisine. Given by the worldwide academic expert on the topic. The more I think about it, the more I realize what crazy classes I have followed.

But a whole slew of youshoku dishes originate from Meiji (in fact, both the terms youshoku and washoku date from around early Meiji IIRC. A friend of mine actually once had to research the first appearance of the word washoku). Curry rice, hayashi rice, korokke, tonkatsu and other fan favorites all started in Meiji. And with the meat taboo gone, we also get dishes like nikujaga and sukiyaki. But most of these were just for the rich and elite...
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps