Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 1[ 8 posts ]

In what context should Confess The Truth be used?Topic%20Title

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I recently did a full replay of the series in chronological order and one thing in particular that stood out to me, yet again, is how Confess The Truth plays really often in the first 4 games and AAI2 IIRC but in DD and AAI they only use it for the "big moments" and it really hurts the feel of the game if you will.

Spoiler: 5-5
Like a good example is in 5-5, when you're in court and Athena's psychelocks trigger after Athena's confession with Wandering Heart playing over, it switches into Logic Trinity (which it does way too often) and Phoenix starts going "Her confession isn't the truth and I can prove it!". Confess The Truth would've been perfect here.

Aside from that, it plays once in case 1, once in case 2, zero times in case 3 or the special case, zero times in case 4 and 2-3 times in the final case as opposed to being used sometimes as a substitution for Objection along with Core in the older games. Generally I'd say an objection in DD is followed by Logic Trinity, Objection or Pursuit only. I don't mind Core isn't ever used because it lacks tension completely, but Confess The Truth would've been an obvious choice to pep it up a bit.

Playing PLvPWAA and now watching Dowolf's translation playthrough of DGS just goes to show me that the A-team has a different idea of how Confess The Truth should be implemented; It plays a lot in both those games (and just in case 1 it's already played 4+ times from what I've seen)

With this in mind... when is the exact context you should use Confess The Truth? How is it used differently in the individual games, does it have anything to do with how the composition itself turns out, and how should it be used in future games? etc.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: In what context should Confess The Truth be used?Topic%20Title

I think once the team has the OST on hand, they pick and choose which songs to put and where. They're all confess the truth themes but they give very different feels (AAI's is revelatory while AAI2's feels more foreboding)

DD's feels huge and grandiose so it was fitting to me that it was only played a few times. Too much would've diluted the effect, I think. The theme in the first game on the other hand just feels all around different and I pretty much came to calling it "Von Karma's theme"

So I think it's just that the themes all give different feelings and will therefore be used more or less frequently depending on the tone of the respective game. It happens with other themes too (I think Pursuit only plays like four times in AJ but like...ten thousand times in AAI2)

迷探偵

linkenski wrote:
With this in mind... when is the exact context you should use Confess The Truth? How is it used differently in the individual games, does it have anything to do with how the composition itself turns out, and how should it be used in future games? etc.

I don't remember the games well enough to know exactly in what scenes the BGM plays, but obviously the composition itself is of importance. As mentioned above, 2013 has a rather heavy feel to it.

But the first thought that came into my mind when I read your post was that perhaps the mistranslation "Confess the Truth" might also be a source of confusion? For some reason the English-language fandom has embraced the mistranslation for a track that should is meant to say "The Truth Will Tell", but the latter describes the function of the track better: it is used when they realize a significant fact, and they use that to push closer to the truth. Again, I don't remember the details of the scene at all, so perhaps I'm wrong here, but in the example from DD you refer to, it'd seem to be that The Truth Will Tell wouldn't fit there, because it isn't clear yet where things are going (while The Truth Will Tell is usually marking a scene that includes a realization, and a clear move building on that).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

The reason everyone calls it Confess The Truth now is because that's what NoE dubbed it in their PLvGS localization. It's not completely official, but it's more official in a sense, than the fantranslated song titles on Youtube.

Personally I prefer to call it Tell The Truth but now I'm sticking to "Confess" for consistency.

Also, on Ash's note about the effect of Confess The Truth: What would you guys say is the difference of use between Confess The Truth, Core and Objection?

There's plenty of times where it goes straight into either of these pieces when you present contradicting evidence in the trilogy. My analysis is that Objection is used for the sheer bliss of proving a hole in a statement with no assumptions as to what the contradiction means yet. Core (in all 3 original games) is when presenting a contradicting piece that reveals a new mysterious fact and Confess The Truth is when your decisive evidence is revelatory to a clear fact (like conclusively proving a witness did not see what they claimed they saw for example).

Can anyone confirm these ideas?
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Please excuse the necropost. I just thought of three more moments in which the Confess the Truth theme could have been used in DD.

Spoiler: 5-3 and 5-S
In Case 3, it could have been used for Juniper's confession (Instead, Dark Age of the Law was used). I tried replacing the track via the iOS port and it actually was quite fitting for me.

Case 3 again, when Hugh starts bullshitting about his "perfect crime". In the iOS version, I let it keep playing until he finished his testimony.

The Special Case, when Phoenix makes the deduction that there were two orcas at Shipshape aquarium.

I just hope AA6's is good, and I hope it's used more, as Confess the Truth is one of my favorite pieces in the Ace Attorney franchise. I don't care if it uses the Khura'in instruments or not. In fact, if the truth about Apollo's family is revealed, the music would be a good fit (Or maybe even a "Reminiscing" track).
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Last edited by Yash K. Productions on Fri May 20, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

The first thing I thought of when reading the title of this thread was when the black Psyche-Locks appear on Athena. In my opinion, that's the best usage of this piece of music in the whole series. The Dual Destinies version of this piece works best in situations like that, and how rarely it plays in the game compared to other themes makes it feel special. I do agree, however, that there are places where it could have been used, as mentioned above.
Though one I disagree with you on, Yash K., is in the special case. I think either Core or Arafune Aquarium are better fits for that particular situation. I think the latter was actually used, as it's sort of the Core-type theme for this case (and also for Azura Summers).

Speaking of Core, I like what it does best: it plays when you uncover a significant fact or secret. Personally, I like the first game's Core the best, but Justice For All did an excellent job in saving this theme for the moment when
Spoiler: 2-4
Engarde reveals that he hired De Killer. You hear this music for the first time

You also hear Justice For All's core during the beginning of the second trial of 3-5. A nice thing that case does is use music from all three Phoenix Wright games.

But you know what? We need a new suspense theme. The traditional one that's been in every game has lost its impact on me. Apollo Justice has two: the original suspense, and the thrill theme. I love this one.

Happy Maria

I think it should play during confessions,but also when the protagonist does a turnabout and comes up with a dramatic plot twist.

Ace Procrastinator

I like when they use it interchangeably with the Pursuit themes? So like when a huge contradiction is found
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps