Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 1[ 8 posts ]

New assistants taking over returning assistants + bloatTopic%20Title

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

So, bear with me as I haven't played SoJ yet but I do know enough to know that I think Capcom needs to be better at selecting the assistant characters in the future IMO.

With the AAI games everything is happening at a faster pace between investigating and cross-examining and thanks to the third person view, the way it switches between assistants per scene is fun and really suits those games's style but in the main series I'm finding that with DD and now SoJ there's starting to arise an issues of "Assistant-bloat".

So, with AA5 they were actually semi-consistent with almost always letting us run around with Athena; it literally feels like she's following you like a stalker at times thanks to the way they made the "move" system in that game but the problem with Athena is that she shoved Trucy to the side in what some thought was going to be a sort of AJAA sequel for a moment.

Had they managed Trucy better outside of the assistant role she didn't get aside from two occasions in that game then I probably wouldn't have addressed this particular complaint but they didn't really know what to do with her so they let her get kidnapped when they finally were about to give her some space... and then they introduce Pearl :payne: and it was okay but what the hell? Why are you constantly shoving Trucy to the side!? xD

With DD I particularly felt that the only "Assistant-related" problem was Trucy's role. But then came SoJ... and boy, for all the characters they could've prioritized new and old, they sure liked to mess around with the assistant roles again. First off, "MAYA'S BACK, YAAAAY!" and that's good and all, so I guess Phoenix gets his own assistant in Khura'in while Apollo gets... wait, who does Apollo get? NOPE, still not Trucy, he gets Athena once again, but Trucy gets arrested so we can give her one or two conversations in the detention center and a few defendant chair appearances (AKA, "We had to find another way to give her as little screentime as possible!"). So that's all not well and dandy :edgey: but wait, there's more!

You're happy to see Maya right? NOPE! She ALSO gets arrested and hid away as much as possible, "but don't worry! We have a new character who is ALSO a teenage girl" and waddaya know, Nick gets her as an assitant when he investigates.

Sweet mother of Aristotle Means, can you cool it with the rapidly increasing amount of female teenage sidekick characters already, Capcom? This is once more why I feel like it would've been interesting if the new team had gone with what was most interesting about DD which was the new characters and only focused on those instead of trying to go both ways. They try to re-establish the Phoenix Wright part of the series with a lot of tacked on Apollo Justice returning characters and a whole lot of their own new and unique characters that alreaady seem to have gotten 2 or 3 mainstays.

I feel like they should just pick between one of these 3 parts of the series that currently exists in the main series canon and stick to it because it occurs to me they really struggle to filter the necessary characters from the unnecessary ones. All this talk of bringing back Maya seems half-hearted at this point when A they did it to directly address some feedback they got from AA5 and B they make a whole fuss about her reappearance and then waste this by making her only barely show up in two cases outside of the DLC where
Spoiler: AA6 Maya
In one case she's hidden away in the detention center the entire investigation so no fun banter or reconnecting with a bunch of characters. In the other case she's kidnapped so whoop dee doo, she's gone again. And the same with Trucy. In AA5 she was kidnapped when she was finally about to get proper screentime, and in AA6 she's also absent throughout as much of the investigation as possible in an already shortened case structure.

I still think what irritates me the most is that this wouldn't have happened if they decided to either not reintroduce Maya but choose to focus on Rayfa or, instead, if they had simply chosen to let Maya be the assistant and Rayfa would be sort of like a prosecutor who you meet every now and then and then of course in every trial. Introducing Rayfa as Nick's primary assistant seems so backwards to me when you also have Maya and ALSO Athena who already shoved Trucy aside, not to mention Pearl who just showed up to say "hello" once in DD.

So that begs the question: If the next game is GS7, which way should they actually go? If they decided to write off some of the "one too many" characters they have introduced (again) then how do they justify it? Lastly, would you be fine if the next game is GS7 and it continues with the same cast as SoJ (Phoenix, Maya, Rival, Apollo, Athena, Trucy, Ema/Detective (+ cameos of previous main characters: Pearl, Blackquill, Edgeworth, Rayfa)? They expressed how they wanted to see Franziska in the next game, so add her to the list! :meekins: Remember when an AA title implied you had a main cast of around 5 per game? (Phoenix, Maya, Gumshoe and Rival (+ cameos of previous mainstays; Edgeworth and Franziska, badabim-badabum!) or Apollo, Trucy, Phoenix, Ema, Kristoph and Klavier)? NB: In the old games all the respective roles served well-earned moments. Characters like Trucy, Pearl or Edgeworth, to some extent even Maya in DD and SoJ struggle to find serious relevance. It's starting to get crazy, I tell ya! :grossberg:

PS. While I have already claimed SoJ overdoes it, especially with Rayfa as yet another new assistant, I have yet to play it to see how much we actually get to see of Maya or Trucy. I'm reserving judgment, so bear with me for making this a bit prematurely, but I'm hoping you'll just correct me if I'm off-base and then continue the discussing the topic as it is.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: New assistants taking over returning assistants + bloatTopic%20Title

Gardevoir lover

I still think at this point they need to kill off at least one of these girls to give the others some breathing room.

And considering they admitted that they have no idea what to do with Maya and Trucy it should be one of them, whichever one would get the least amount of backlash.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

:)

It would kill me if either Trucy or Maya died. I don't think that they need any more new assistants or lawyers, as I think the cast they have now is sufficient. It would be nice if they showed us some of the characters from the AAI that we didn't see in the main AA games.

Gardevoir lover

Yeah if any characters deserve to come back it should be the ones made for Investigations.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Gettin' Old!

Next game should he a battle royale/Zero escape style visual novel.

It should do one of those things where the results on who lives and dies are sent to a server so you can see how many of the fan base chose x path.

They then add these up to see who survives the game the most and have the "most killed" become the canon route for that game. Then in the sequel whatever Attorney survives the game gets to bring the mastermind to justice.

I'm free for employment capcom.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Or they could stop making new AA-games.

Yeah, though. Why it gotta be teenage girls? I mean, I like all of them, Maya and Trucy are two of my favourite AA-characters, but I don't get why this is a pattern. And it especially annoys me because there are hardly any other female main characters except these plucky teenage assistants (who will often double as damsels in distress whenever the situation calls for it (or not)) while the playable defense attorneys (save for that plucky teenage girl lawyer who is also your assistant for the most part) and prosecutors (save for that non-plucky teenage girl (remember that time she was your assistant?)) and detectives (save for the grown up-version of the plucky teenage girl assistant) are men. Of course, let's not forget that one case where the assistant was a - wait for it- plucky teenage boy (although I obviously love him too). The point of all that being, yes, we are drowning in assistants who are all slightly modified versions of the same template, and it just seems unnecessary to bring out new ones all the damn time without even properly letting go of the old ones but instead making them have half-assed appearances and/or arresting/kidnapping them. Also, this with Rayfa are news to me, what the fuck is up with that? I thought she was gonna be like our rival.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Me too but I welcome her friendly status because it avoids making her a Courtney; serious priestess 2.0 character.

I just think the decision to have Maya return but then undercut her role in favor of Rayfa is bad decision making and more of the usual team-Yamazaki bloat that I thought they were on a path to stop with DD since that game at least had some class in hoe many active roles in the plot it had and how much it actually did focus on new characters after all.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

The video game boy; the one who wins

That's true. It was just kinda the opposite of what I expected. As far as Maya's concerned I'm reaaally not sure about what they're doing with her character and role in the game, and that's sad because I wish I could be stoked about her returning.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps