Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 3[ 82 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Race in AATopic%20Title

um...hi your honour?

DISCLAIMER! THIS THREAD IS NOT MEANT TO BE RACIST! THIS WAS SOMETHING ON MY MIND! I DO NOT WANT ANY CONTROVERSY! I AM SIMPLY STATING WHY THERE ISN'T NO BLACK PEOPLE IN AA.

Spoiler:
Okay guys, I had this in my head for a while now, so yeah.
Basically in ALL of the AA games, why wasn't there a black person in ANY of them!?

You could say Marlon Rhimes was black, but he seems a bit brown-ish to me. But hey it is just my opinion.
I mean, some of the characters fit into that category as well, just look at Datz Ar'ebal.
I mean....well...kinda.

As for why this is in the courthouse steps is because I think it would be cool to see a new character in AA, who would be important to the plot/game ETC. Like as a detective, investigative partner, prosecutor.
It depends on how they portray him/her.
As long is it not disrespectful to Black people at least.

If it's a prosecutor: I would like him/her to be similar to the Synth companion from fallout 4 (Sorry I forgot his name) except he is not a total douche, I mean, he might have this attitude Shadmadhi had when you faced him, acting all high and mighty, more intelligent t then you and plays by the books and outsmarts you at every turn.
He is not heartless 'cos he TRULY wants to find the truth.

If it's a detective, I want a more serious version of Fulbright, and he reluctantly works with the defence and wishes to find the truth. A lot like an investigative partner.

As an investigative partner, I want someone similar to Elizabeth from Bioshock infinite. Someone who wants to embrace life to the fullest and likes to stop in the battle ground to smell the flowers.
And it might lead to a new clue to the crime scene.

Well that's my thoughts. What are you'rs?

Re: Race in AATopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it's probably because the game is actually set in Japan originally and dark skin colours aren't exactly common there to my knowledge.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

um...hi your honour?

Pierre wrote:
If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it's probably because the game is actually set in Japan originally and dark skin colours aren't exactly common there to my knowledge.

But still not ONE AA game had at least ONE black person in them.
Doesn't immigrants make it possible to have at least ONE black person.
I know I sound like a social justice warrior....but it just baffle me...well only a little though.....

Gettin' Old!

HeroMan66475 wrote:
Pierre wrote:

But still not ONE AA game had at least ONE black person in them.
Doesn't immigrants make it possible to have at least ONE black person.
I know I sound like a social justice warrior....but it just baffle me...well only a little though.....

*shrug* Immigrants sure is a way to do it. Not saying it's impossible just saying that unless they want to make a story about immigration or a culture difference then it would come across quite forced and odd.

I trust they'll get one in there in time and I don't think they are saying anything horrible by not doing it. Though who knows, maybe tweet them or something for better representation in future.

Diego probably counts as Hispanic though at least.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Quote:
*shrug* Immigrants sure is a way to do it. Not saying it's impossible just saying that unless they want to make a story about immigration or a culture difference then it would come across quite forced and odd.

Why couldn't they just be there without it having to be part of the story? Are people of colour living in Japan that unusual, that a character has to be "justified" like that without it being "forced"? (A genuine question because I do not know)
Marlon and Diego are the only ones I can think of as well. And maybe Acro and Jake Marshall? (As for myself I headcanon Daryan as being native american but I probably wouldn't if I'd been playing the original version rather than the localized)
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Gettin' Old!

Going for Miles wrote:
Quote:

Why couldn't they just be there without it having to be part of the story? Are people of colour living in Japan that unusual, that a character has to be "justified" like that without it being "forced"? (A genuine question because I do not know)
Marlon and Diego are the only ones I can think of as well. And maybe Acro and Jake Marshall? (As for myself I headcanon Daryan as being native american but I probably wouldn't if I'd been playing the original version rather than the localized)

I don't know. I don't know the population demographics of Japan. I just don't think that it's a naturally occurring skin tone in Japan but I'm by no means an expert.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The cape is self-fluttering

I would argue Lotta is half black, but that's just me. (I'm sorry, but that is NOT a 100% white 'fro.)

I'd be fine with some "obviously" black people in the series, but uh... it just seems to me that whenever Japan means to place an obviously black person in their stories, we usually end up with a stereotype or caricature.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

um...hi your honour?

Going for Miles wrote:
Quote:

1) I am not expecting a story about immagrants
2) If you want, it would be cool, if he/she was a witness if that's what you want.
3) I don't know how to send off this reply.

um...hi your honour?

Jean Descole wrote:
I would argue Lotta is half black, but that's just me. (I'm sorry, but that is NOT a 100% white 'fro.)

Le Gasp! :ema-shock: That afro must have the power of....wait....didn't Lotta say, he came from the "Heart of Hartland"? Judging (hehe judging :udgey: ) by her accent, she's either Scottish or Irish. Which means, she's half Scottish/Irish! She's half Jackspeticeye.

Gettin' Old!

HeroMan66475 wrote:
Jean Descole wrote:

Le Gasp! :ema-shock: That afro must have the power of....wait....didn't Lotta say, he came from the "Heart of Hartland"? Judging (hehe judging :udgey: ) by her accent, she's either Scottish or Irish. Which means, she's half Scottish/Irish! She's half Jackspeticeye.

Errrr as a Scot I never got that impression. I thought she was from the Deep South.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

So since we're talking about race...anyone else thought that Atishon looked kinda Asian? It makes perfect sense in the localization since he's of Japanese descent, but it can't be intended in the original where everyone is Japanese, so maybe it's just me.

Gettin' Old!

luck wrote:
So since we're talking about race...anyone else thought that Atishon looked kinda Asian? It makes perfect sense in the localization since he's of Japanese descent, but it can't be intended in the original where everyone is Japanese, so maybe it's just me.

His design seemed to be distinctly about that. I mean he rode around in an old palanquin and his theme has distinct Japanese elements.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The cape is self-fluttering

HeroMan66475 wrote:
Jean Descole wrote:

I must confess, I don't know too many Scots who drop "yalls" every other sentence and use phrases such as "I'd rather eat the south side of a north bound skunk" and "What in tarnation?"
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

um...hi your honour?

Jean Descole wrote:
HeroMan66475 wrote:
Jean Descole wrote:

I must confess, I don't know too many Scots who drop "yalls" every other sentence and use phrases such as "I'd rather eat the south side of a north bound skunk" and "What in tarnation?"

OHMYGAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWDD!!! :ack: :ack: :ack: Then....she...is.....not scottish. Dang, I'm jumping to conclusions. Then if she is from the south.....I have no comeback.

迷探偵

Going for Miles wrote:
Quote:

Precisely that. There are only very small numbers of non-Asian minorities in Japan. Wikipedia says that in 2015, all immigrants (exluding illegal immigrants and short-term visitors) made up only 1.75% of the population in Japan (and yes, a very large portion of that is Asian). Fiction imitates life, and the reality is that Japan does not have a very diverse population.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Jean Descole wrote:

I thought the same thing when I first saw Lotta I expected her to be black because of the afro but I was wrong. She just seems like she would be African American.

The Real Human Being

um...hi your honour?

DoMaya wrote:

What the actual heck were you thinking?

The Real Human Being

HeroMan66475 wrote:
DoMaya wrote:

Was I being too subtle?

That's a shoehorn, google it.

um...hi your honour?

DoMaya wrote:
HeroMan66475 wrote:
DoMaya wrote:

Was I being too subtle?

That's a shoehorn, google it.

And it has some relevance to the subject at hand because?

The Real Human Being

HeroMan66475 wrote:

Because you want to shoehorn minorities into a game.
Go back to Tumblr with your racist rhetoric, and let this asian game be.

Jean Descole wrote:
it just seems to me that whenever Japan means to place an obviously black person in their stories, we usually end up with a stereotype or caricature.

True. And AA in particular has a tendency to create strong stereotyped characters. Take Jean Armstrong as example. Totally obnoxious, unnecessary stereotype of homosexual...

um...hi your honour?

DoMaya wrote:
HeroMan66475 wrote:

Because you want to shoehorn minorities into a game.
Go back to Tumblr with your racist rhetoric, and let this asian game be.

:objection:
I don't have Tumblr! I only go on it rarely to see DGs fan art.

And double
:objection:
I sincerely stated It wasn't meant to be racist!
I just said this 'cos I was all like..wuuhhh? When I suddenyl realised there were no blacks in this game beside stereotypes. And my inheritance is Midle-east so chew on dat!

(I just like to say sorry for any offence to the people this thread may have caused to you...)

Also, just to play the Devil's advocate:

AA is a Japanese game in a Japanese setting. It is supposed to portray Japanese society's reality, meaning, basically everyone in it is supposed to be "white". Nothing wrong with that, just a cultural thing.

But as people here pointed out, Diego, Acro and some others fall into the "non-white/non-asian" category. Hence, the argument that AA doesn't have black characters because they are a small minority in Japan doesn't make sense anymore. How many Hispanic people live in Japan, again? It didn't stop Capcom from creating Diego, though.

um...hi your honour?

dangerousoffender wrote:
Also, just to play the Devil's advocate:

AA is a Japanese game in a Japanese setting. It is supposed to portray Japanese society's reality, meaning, basically everyone in it is supposed to be "white". Nothing wrong with that, just a cultural thing.

But as people here pointed out, Diego, Acro and some others fall into the "non-white/non-asian" category. Hence, the argument that AA doesn't have black characters because they are a small minority in Japan doesn't make sense anymore. How many Hispanic people live in Japan, again? It didn't stop Capcom from creating Diego, though.

I guess I can't deny it....

Now...should I delete this thread or keep it here?

As long as people keep civil and don't try to kill each other, I think it is a legit debate.

I don't think you have the power to delete this thread even if you want to, though, since you are not a mod.

迷探偵

dangerousoffender wrote:

Diego, or to be more precise, Kaminogi isn't Hispanic though, he's Japanese, just like Acro and other characters. You do know that Japan is a fairly large country and that there are quite a lot of native Japanese who have a fairly tan skin color? Unless explictly states foreign, all the characters are designed Japanese, or at least as 'unmarked' characters. People always tend to look at unmarked characters from their own culture; that's why a stickman is seen in many Western cultures as a 'white' character, and Asian in Asian cultures. In the case of Diego and Acro, it's extremely unlikely people wouldn't see them as Asian/Japanese.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

um...hi your honour?

dangerousoffender wrote:
As long as people keep civil and don't try to kill each other, I think it is a legit debate.

I don't think you have the power to delete this thread even if you want to, though, since you are not a mod.

Okay, I wasn't expecting it to be a death pool.

Ash wrote:
Diego, or to be more precise, Kaminogi isn't Hispanic though, he's Japanese, just like Acro and other characters. You do know that Japan is a fairly large country and that there are quite a lot of native Japanese who have a fairly tan skin color? Unless explictly states foreign, all the characters are designed Japanese, or at least as 'unmarked' characters. People always tend to look at unmarked characters from their own culture; that's why a stickman is seen in many Western cultures as a 'white' character, and Asian in Asian cultures. In the case of Diego and Acro, it's extremely unlikely people wouldn't see them as Asian/Japanese.

"There are quite a lot of native Japanese who have a fairly tan skin color"? I wasn't aware of that, no, because I have always been exposed to games, movies, manga and other Japanese-based media and right now I can't remember of any examples of supposed Japanese characters with a fairly tan skin color. But if you, Mr. All-Knowing-About-Japanese-Stuff is saying so, it is probably accurate, and a fair point.

迷探偵

Hattori of Detective Conan is a pretty famous manga character with dark skin (which is also addressed in the series). As for real people, the first people who come up in my mind are persons like baseball player Kazuhiro Kiyohara and actor Toshiro Yanahiba (mostly because I saw them in films/variety shows lately)

Surf's Up!

Ash wrote:
In the case of Diego and Acro, it's extremely unlikely people wouldn't see them as Asian/Japanese.

I have never thought of Diego and Acro as being either Asian or Japanese at all.

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Ash wrote:
In the case of Diego and Acro, it's extremely unlikely people wouldn't see them as Asian/Japanese.

I have never thought of Diego and Acro as being either Asian or Japanese at all.

They look Hispanic honestly. Because their skin is more tan and darker than most characters in the games. Also Diego is usually a mexican or a spanish name isn't it?

Note: If I come of as Racist I'm not at all, I believe everyone has a equal opportunity in everything. It dosn't matter if you are black, white, or hispanic the only thing that matters is your attitude and readiness. Same thing with gays I believe they should have equal opportunity's as everyone else because people can love anyone they want to and not be judged for it.

Last edited by ZoomBoom124 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Ash wrote:

He meant that people in JAPAN would assume they're Asian, because having a darker skin color isn't necessarily associated with a different race there.

It's not that weird, really. I think there's plenty of people as dark as Diego in Spain, actually, but others are as light-skinned as you can get. Race is not something that defines absolutely how someone looks.

Gettin' Old!

It's a fair point to me...if Diego didn't have his name I'm not sure I would have classed him as Hispanic. In the original one if he was just Japanese or Asian that's the end of it.

Acro I never really thought of as another race but I'd say his design alludes to Native American culture.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:
It's a fair point to me...if Diego didn't have his name I'm not sure I would have classed him as Hispanic. In the original one if he was just Japanese or Asian that's the end of it.

Acro I never really thought of as another race but I'd say his design alludes to Native American culture.

Yes Acro does look Native American. Well maybe Diego and Acro are race mixes like maybe Diego is Hispanic/Asian and Acro is Native/Asian maybe that could be the case?

Surf's Up!

The Mechanic wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Yes Acro does look Native American.

He looks black to me.

NinjaMonkey wrote:
The Mechanic wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Yes Acro does look Native American.

He looks black to me.

Well maybe I dunno but I think he looks more Native American than Black. Also I'm I'm the Midwest so I know about the Natives who used to live around these parts. My mother is 16% Native American so that's why her skins darker than usuall. That makes me 8% Native American. Also I can tell from the markings and the objects that he has is that he is most likely Native American.

Last edited by ZoomBoom124 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Maria

I don't really care what race a character is,honestly. What really matters to me is whether they are fun,entertaining,and well written.

Southern Corn wrote:
I don't really care what race a character is,honestly. What really matters to me is whether they are fun,entertaining,and well written.

I agree that no one should be judged by the color of their skin and that everyone should have a equal opportunity in everything. I'v seen the black lives matter movement and I'm like Objection! All lives matter not just African Americans!

The video game boy; the one who wins

They're not saying only black lives matter, they're saying black lives matter too since some people doesn't seem to think they do. Saying "All lives matter" is watering it out; that all lives matter is a given, but "all lives" include "black lives", and since the issue concerns black people it is concentrated on them.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Page 1 of 3 [ 82 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps