Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 19 posts ]

Phoenix Wright 1 Remake - "The First Turnabout: Reborn"Topic%20Title

The Thinker

My friend who doesn't browse court records and I are working on a remake of PW1, using the updated graphics from the new games and using some of the new systems we can fit in from J4A and all. We aren't very far along but I stream it occasionally: http://twitch.tv/austinsbasement

Last edited by Gwen on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Phoenix Wright 1 Remake - "The First Turnabout: Reborn"Topic%20Title

I really hope the story doesn't stay exactly the same.

You should make it so the killers are different, otherwise it'd just be kinda boring and useless.

The Thinker

The idea is to remake it for people who want a replay + do a definitive version + provide a way for people who don't want to buy the game to see if they like Ace Attorney.

I think people just wanting to try it out would just emulate it in Desmume, or something like that.

I think when you're remaking the cases like this, if it's going to be a 1:1 job in terms of plot you may well be bordering on the lines of copyright infringement, meaning that the people to play may as well just emulate in the first place.

Putting a twist on the storylines would provide an incentive for "veteran" Ace Attorney fans to play it too, to see what's different and what other twists you could put into the game.

But hey, at the end of the day it's your fan-game - You do what you wanna do man, I'm just saying I don't really see the point in a 1:1 remake with the only real difference being psych locks

EDIT: Also I briefly loaded your Twitch chat and saw you were making it in Game Maker... why? PyWright is a lot better for fancases

The Thinker

It's not just psyche locks, it's using the updated art, changing the exclimation point system in court to the health system, multiple things.

Austin wrote:
It's not just psyche locks, it's using the updated art, changing the exclimation point system in court to the health system, multiple things.

All things you can do in PyWright which is specifically made for AA game development... And even then is that really worth making a new project for? like I said, this may well be bordering on the lines of copyright infringement, so you could get in a lot of trouble if Capcom catches on someone is making a bootleg version of their game

Nowaynowaynoway!

I have to say that I'm with Guest here. Not only does it seem just kind of... pointless, it does toe the line of copyright infringement. If you're still set on doing it, though, you really ought to make more noticeable changes.

The one with many faces

I've encountered a couple of times on AAO where someone tried to take the original game and "Translate" it into AAO or any fan game engine. All were forced to shut down and got their case deleted. Now since this is a super forum hub for fangames in general and the engines are usually not tied to a forum (unlike AAO), I can't tell you to cease and desist the project. That being said, I strongly recommend you stop this project. Fan games are already straddling the line between Fair Use and Copyright Infringement, especially ones that follow the canon plots closely. This is already in Copyright Infringement territory just by this quote alone:
Austin wrote:
The idea is to remake it for people who want a replay + do a definitive version + provide a way for people who don't want to buy the game to see if they like Ace Attorney.

Just replacing PW1 graphics with PW2/3 is not changing anything at all. It's basically putting a lipstick on a pig: it's still a pig. Us people in the fangame community do NOT condone copyright infringement. Just basically doing a rehash of PW1 and providing it for free would cut into Capcom's monetary interests. Although some of us don't like Capcom, we're not here to commit copyright infringement.

If you are to continue with this project, you need to be more specific about the changes. All you gave is that you're changing graphics and you have other changes. What other changes? Others have suggested plotline changes or character changes.

1000% Knight

E.D.Revolution wrote:
If you are to continue with this project, you need to be more specific about the changes. All you gave is that you're changing graphics and you have other changes. What other changes? Others have suggested plotline changes or character changes.

I'm also going to request that you go into a bit more specifics. Are you going to be revamping the crimes and cases, coming up with original new tricks, cross-examinations, and dialogue, while keeping the general overarching story the same? Or are you just copy+pasting the original script of the game updated graphics?

If it's the latter, as ED said, I think your game will be a bit too far in the fair use/copyright infringement divide, and while you'd still be free to develop the game if you wanted, we might lock and/or delete this thread.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Mia Payne

Bad Player wrote:
E.D.Revolution wrote:

I'm also going to request that you go into a bit more specifics. Are you going to be revamping the crimes and cases, coming up with original new tricks, cross-examinations, and dialogue, while keeping the general overarching story the same? Or are you just copy+pasting the original script of the game updated graphics?

If it's the latter, as ED said, I think your game will be a bit too far in the fair use/copyright infringement divide, and while you'd still be free to develop the game if you wanted, we might lock and/or delete this thread.

BP, as long as they make their own backgrounds, and sprites, and make some script changes, it's considered to be their work, as long as no profit is made... a copy paste, however, IS illegal, no matter the income

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

If you do this, I would recommend changing up the cross-examinations. 1-1 is not a very exciting case. Compare the length of 1-1 to 2-1, 3-1, and 4-1. 1-1 is kind of the short end of the stick. However, if you were to rewrite the case a bit while still keeping the defendant, perpetrator, and victim the same, this could potentially be a fairly interesting project.

Dracarys!

The part that sets off a red flag for me is this:

Austin wrote:
+ provide a way for people who don't want to buy the game to see if they like Ace Attorney.

That's basically admitting that this is setting up so people can pirate the game. It's also this quote that leads me to believe it's not currently in the plan to significantly change any dialogue.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Not necessarily. When I made Shattered Glass: Turnabout Reversal, one of my intentions was to be able to introduce the Ace Attorney series to people who didn't want to buy or rent the games. It was also an alternate universe take on the events of The First Turnabout, however, I made significant variations to the dialogue/plot of the original.

I don't know for certain what Austin is planning to do with this case, but I really hope that it's a true expanded remake and not simply a "port-plus-1."

I would encourage the remake route if for no other reason than that existing Ace Attorney fans would have no reason to play the game if all it got was a facelift. If I wanted to play The First Turnabout with updated graphics, 1-1 and 1-2 are free for download on iOS in the Phoenix Wright HD trilogy. Sure, it doesn't have the life bar like the later titles, but since there weren't any doubled penalties in the first game, iirc, the exclamation points work fine.

Blizdi wrote:
BP, as long as they make their own backgrounds, and sprites, and make some script changes, it's considered to be their work, as long as no profit is made... a copy paste, however, IS illegal, no matter the income

TheDoctor wrote:
I don't know for certain what Austin is planning to do with this case, but I really hope that it's a true expanded remake and not simply a "port-plus-1."

I would encourage the remake route if for no other reason than that existing Ace Attorney fans would have no reason to play the game if all it got was a facelift. If I wanted to play The First Turnabout with updated graphics, 1-1 and 1-2 are free for download on iOS in the Phoenix Wright HD trilogy. Sure, it doesn't have the life bar like the later titles, but since there weren't any doubled penalties in the first game, iirc, the exclamation points work fine.

He's ripping sprites and stuff from Dual Destinies, as his Twitch channel showed before, and said he's not changing the plotline/dialogue, so what's the point in this project? It's useless, and copyright infringement pure and simple. Literally just a bootleg of the original game.

Fate Testarossa

If that's all he's doing, I agree. This deserves and lock and purge.

Fate is made by クロス

I have to agree with other people here.Also,if this threads is not locked and you put a download link or something of the sort,then even the forums are in danger due to the copyright.That's the same reason you can't post any download links to the actual games.
Signature loading, please wait...

1000% Knight

Guys, we're aware of the potential problems with this game. (That's why I made a post saying as much.)

Give Austin a chance to clarify on his game. Appropriate action will be taken when he does so, and in the meanwhile just chill.

The Thinker

It's shelved for now. I don't really think there's going to be a lot of interest in it and it's mainly a bad excuse at trying to make an ace attorney game. I don't want to look like the worst person on CR and I think this has already contributed to that. Lock and purge, I guess.

1000% Knight

Austin wrote:
It's shelved for now. I don't really think there's going to be a lot of interest in it and it's mainly a bad excuse at trying to make an ace attorney game. I don't want to look like the worst person on CR and I think this has already contributed to that. Lock and purge, I guess.

There's no need to feel so down. If you want to make your own Ace Attorney game--that's great! That's what this entire sub-forum is here for! It's just that it needs to be your own Ace Attorney game. You can use Ace Attorney music, backgrounds, sprites... even the characters (that is, names/personality) in your game, but the plot and dialogue need to be your own.

Locking this thread, but feel free to make a new one if you ever decide to start up a new project.
Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games