Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 24 posts ]

Turnabout CurtainTopic%20Title

There's no running from the past...

Credits to hershel_layton for the art!

Preface
Turnabout Curtain is a remake of a case of the same name (which you can still play here, the case won't be taken down). While following the same basic premise, it tells a completely different story, one that I'm sure that both the people who liked the original version and those who didn't play it will find equally enjoyable and surprising. It's the story I think I should've told when originally planning the case, but, being the young and sort of... insane person that I was (and probably still am), I ended up putting too much into it and... well, turned it into a mess. With this, I'm hoping to fix that mistake.

The case, unlike its original, is made in PyWright (which I understand some people might have a problem with, because it's directly downloading stuff, so I do apologize for that, but I felt like it's where the case would've functioned best).

Playing the original version is not, in any way, shape or form, required for you to understand the plot of this one. As I've said - it's a brand new story, so... no need to worry there.

Premise
Taking place two years after the events of Turnabout Succession, Apollo has been living the good life. Well, as good as you can get, considering his "boss" is as eccentric piano-playing, poker-cheating Machiavellian schemer (his daughter fairing no better); his cases filled with complication after complication, and his former mentor...

Well, we don't talk about him these days.

But that all changes when he takes a seemingly simple case of a high judge and sets in motion a chain of events that threaten to ruin Apollo and all those he holds dear...

Obviously, Dual Destinies is not in continuity here.

Download

Download the case here!

Download the 1.01 update here! (Just drop it into the 'games' folder of the pywright subfolder and let it overwrite the stuff.)

You will need the latest version of PyWright to run the game (at the moment, it's 0.9880), which you can download from here. (Windows-only, at the moment, unfortunately, since the official site is down and this is all I've got). Not running on the newest version will cause all sorts of errors.

To run the game, place the "TurnaboutCurtain" folder in the "games" directory found in your PyWright folder and simply run PyWright. The case should appear in the list of games you can play.

Walkthrough
Spoiler:
Turnabout Curtain Walkthrough

PRELUDE
Move -> Downstairs Hallway -> Lounge
Examine -> The door (the one to the right) and the photograph
Exhaust all talk options
Examine -> The faint bloodstain, the doll and the bed
Examine -> The door in the middle
Talk

PART 1
Exhaust all talk options
Present -> Lure's profile
Move -> Wright Anything Agency -> Lure Mansion -> Downstairs Hallway
Exhaust all talk options
Present -> Autopsy report, knife and Hyde's profile
Move -> Kitchen -> Back Door
Examine -> The bed and the desk
Move -> Downstairs Hallway -> Outside -> Hospital
Exhaust all talk options
Present -> Memo
Talk
Move -> Wright Anything Agency
Exhaust all talk options
Move -> Follow Dorian
Examine -> Trash can

Move -> Edgeworth's Office
Exhaust all talk options
Present -> Recorder, Jeremiah Hyde's Profile, Dorian's Photo
Move -> Solitary Cell 13
Exhaust all talk options
Move -> Edgeworth's Office
Present -> Apollo's Profile, Jeremiah's Profile
Talk
Move -> Lure Mansion -> Downstairs Hallway -> Kitchen
Talk
Present -> Magatama
Select -> I got nothing

Game (for you mortals):
(1) No
(2) Mr. Black
(3) Ms. Yellow
(4) No
(5) After 8:10 PM
(6) 7:10 PM
(7) Outside
(8) Outside
(9) Yes
(10) Black's Room
(11) Yes

Present -> Dorian's Profile, Lure's Profile, Dorian's Photo
Exhaust all talk options
Move -> Downstairs Hallway -> Dorian's Home
Exhaust all talk options
Examine -> The calendar and the kitchen
Move -> Wright Anything Agency
Point to the bracelet
Present -> Whatever

PART 2
Present Deliah's Profile on Statement 8
Select "Why pretend to be unconscious?"
Select "No"
Select "Why didn't I hide?"
Point to the bed
Present Lure's Profile
Present Lure's Autopsy Report

Present Apollo's OR Hyde's Profile on Statement 1 (OR Deliah's Profile on Statement 4)
Present the Camera Footage
Select either option

Present the Master Key on Statement 3

Press all statements

Present The Knife
Present Dorian's Profile
Present Dorian's Checklist

Press Statement 1
Present Dorian's Pills on Statement 5

Select "It was planted in his apartment"
Present Dorian's Checklist
Select "They could have"
Present Dorian's Pills
Present the Calendar

Present Verity's Profile
Present Dorian's Photo

Do as you are told

EPILOGUE
Examine the bed

Notes
  • The case is complete. Estimated playtime is roughly around 4-5 hours.
  • It's recommended you play in two screens to see all the minor graphical effects and whatnot. (It's also recommended because I have no idea how the game looks presentation-wise in only one-screen mode).
  • There is a rather annoying glitch in the court sections - should you save and reload during them, the character sprites will be glitchy for a certain period of time (they will glitch in and out of the poses they should have and their "normal" poses). The issue eventually does fix itself, but to save you the annoyance - I've set up so that the game eventually saves itself every so often on areas which you can safely reload from and avoid the problem. Now, unlike my last PyWright case, you are also free to save of your own accord. But know that the glitch will be there. Also note that it won't be THAT frequent so you can fix every mistake you make - usually at the beginning of testimonies.
  • Should the music, for whatever reason (there shouldn't be any more possibility of that happening, but if it does) just save and reload the game. It should fix itself.
  • An important note regarding an event in the game:
Spoiler: Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled on one aspect of the game
There is a part in the case that depicts a real and serious psychological condition. I have tried my best to not go into any details about it and to make it as obvious as possible that it is not an actual representation of the problem. Should I have offended anyone in any way, shape or form, I sincerely and honestly apologize from the bottom of my heart, that was not my intention.

Credits
Spoiler: Credits, contains spoilers for the case!
WRITING
DWaM - Story, Writing
kwando1313 - Minor Story Assistance
SPRITES
Lind - Dorian Hobbes, Andrea Lure, Michael Tiala, Jeremiah's Profile
AP-master - Deliah Gate
Tap and gotMLK7 - "Mr. Hyde"
AABattery - Briefly-shown drawing of "Mr. Hyde""
VirtAnderson - Phoenix Front
Sligneris - New Edgeworth Front
Tap and jeti - Apollo Front
ApolloGrimoire - Crying Trucy Pose
enigma, Dave, Naagloshi - "Evil" Apollo
TheDoctor - Prosecutor Phoenix
Ropfa - "Emo" Apollo Pose
MUSIC USED
"Daughters of Chaos" (Dark Souls Soundtrack)
"minute darkness" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"suspicion" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"Lure" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"Dead angle" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"The first and the last" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"Steady pace" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"lixAxil" (Umineko no Naku koro Ni)
"Track 8" (Divi Dead)
"Onigaen" (Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni)
"Placidity" (Virtue's Last Reward)
"Clues 06" (L. A. Noire)
"Distorted Theory" (Chaos Head)
"Solitary Confinement Creepy" (by Triplemathics)
"Dark Knight" (by DYATHON)
"Everything Ends Here" (by BlueLionMusic)
"The Demon Within" (by Luke Georgiou)
BETA-TESTING
kwando1313, enigma
SPECIAL THANKS
E. D. Revolution - Took some peeks in his code with the trial sections
saluk - The PyWright Engine
You - For Playing!

That one guy from AAO that made about a dozen cases that all kinda go off the deep end and fall apart at one point or another.

Last edited by DudeWithAMask on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Re: Turnabout CurtainTopic%20Title

Dracarys!

Downloading now. I probably won't get around to playing it this weekend, but I'll put up a review when I have the time.

Looking forward to it!

...Hm.

Forgot that sense of paranoia that I screwed everything up while bugfixing.
That one guy from AAO that made about a dozen cases that all kinda go off the deep end and fall apart at one point or another.

This sounds cool! You said this would be your last case in the AAO thread so hopefully it will be as good as most of them are.

I'm downloading,but my internet decided to get really slow all of a sudden...hopefully the download will not stop halfway through.
Signature loading, please wait...

Looking forward to it!

In the meantime, the PyWright site seems to be down, but kwando was kind enough to re-upload the windows version of 0.9880: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ee4qr ... 80.win.zip

For the other versions... erm... perhaps someone else can re-upload them at some point of the site doesn't come back up...?

Winter Flag Trademark

Whoo... booyyy... Such big description. Looks interesting, though.

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

I realized I'd forgotten to put one line in the walkthrough in the game folder. And since it appears that people couldn't progress due to my omission, I've put the walkthrough in the OP.

Yay an Apollo game! :D

I actually love Apollo as a character, even though I thought he needed better cases. He seems pretty underrated in the fandom though. Don't get me wrong, Phoenix is cool too but it seems Apollo doesn't get enough love. I'm glad to see you made a game with him and hope it turns out well, looking forward to it. :)

Last edited by Psykofreac on Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psykofreac wrote:
Yay an Apollo game! :D

I actually Apollo as a character, even though I thought he needed better cases. He seems pretty underrated in the fandom though. Don't get me wrong, Phoenix is cool too but it seems Apollo doesn't get enough love. I'm glad to see you made a game with him and hope it turns out well, looking forward to it. :)

I have not completed this game yet,but considered the type of fangames DWaM usually writes,I doubt it is just a normal Apollo case,or that things will end uo happily for the poor guy...
Signature loading, please wait...

Well, to be fair, it's not IMPOSSIBLE for things to not be like that.

They're just

really, really

improbable

Still looking forward to it anyways lol. I mean, I was at least happy with Turnabout Substitution but I get the feeling this might turn out more severe, I'll see.

Based on some of the feedback on AAO, I've released a 1.01 update which you can download from here (it's a small download, requires that you downloaded the previous version - just drop it into the 'games' folder of your pywright subfolder).

It fixes a minor bug found, some spelling errors and adds some new lines in certain places. Also changes the case select image to the art in the banner.

Would've re-uploaded the entire game, as well for the sake of convenience, but... Mediafire kinda screwed me over there...

Will be included in the next major update (whenever it comes - should it even be necessary).

Well so far it's definitely unique...

Spoiler:
Kind of getting creeped out by that judge lady.

I see what that you have a thing for dark games. Oh and you made Phoenix even funnier than he already is, awesome! XD

Dracarys!

So... I started this up today to try and play it, but so far I haven't been able to get past the case menu screen. It just showed up as a black background with the title and "new game" button. But when I clicked the button, nothing happened. The game didn't even register that I clicked it. I played around with the intro file for a while, as well as a few others, and deleted some files and even added a file of my own making, based on my own knowledge of how Pywright works, but so far I've only gotten the button to acknowledge that I'm clicking it. I find it especially odd, since I rewrote the entire intro section to more or less mirror the way I make them for my own games, yet still nothing's able to start.

I'm not sure if the initial problem was due to something on your end or on mine. I've been able to run all of the other games on Pywright, so I'm not quite sure what the error is. Is anybody else having trouble running the case?

That's... bizarre.

I know for a fact that several people have run the case (and beaten it) and nobody had reported this issue with me (I mean, if they had, chances are I would've taken the case down immediately to try and fix it).

The only time it did happen is during beta-testing - when the game couldn't locate the files used as backgrounds for the case select screen (mainly because, at the time, they weren't actually there, due to my forgetfulness). Are you sure they're where they're supposed to be?

Another possibility (and of this, I'm not actually sure) is that you aren't running the game on windows (because I haven't actually tested it there, I'm afraid). The possible reason being that I used just 'a file' (no specific extension) to store a certain variable the case_screen script file uses. Try editing that script (case_screen, I mean) and just set it to a normal background instead of the complicated thingy I made it into, maybe? I don't know, to be honest - mainly because I seem to remember you beta-ing Downfall and I am relatively sure that the same code was used at the time.

I'm afraid I can't help you much at the moment because I don't know what it is that you've changed and how much of possible effect that might've had on the issue by itself. Everything that was there was... supposed to be there to run the case.

Dracarys!

Quote:
The only time it did happen is during beta-testing - when the game couldn't locate the files used as backgrounds for the case select screen (mainly because, at the time, they weren't actually there, due to my forgetfulness). Are you sure they're where they're supposed to be?

I remember copying them over, but it's possible they didn't load properly (their icons weren't actual pictures, so I think something messed up in the process). I'll try that again when I have some time tomorrow.

Quote:
Another possibility (and of this, I'm not actually sure) is that you aren't running the game on windows (because I haven't actually tested it there, I'm afraid). The possible reason being that I used just 'a file' (no specific extension) to store a certain variable the case_screen script file uses. Try editing that script (case_screen, I mean) and just set it to a normal background instead of the complicated thingy I made it into, maybe?

The case_screen thing was actually one of the first things that I tried editing. I did cut out most of the complicated stuff, but it was the same result. I might try checking again with the images you mentioned earlier, because that's about the one thing I haven't tried yet.

Edit: I just set the case art to bg bigblack and it's still apparently not working, so I don't think that was it.

Well... Then, I'm stumped. I have absolutely no idea!

Try... maybe re-extracting the files? Just a clean extract, no overwrites. Don't even put the 1.01. update in; just the normal version (since that's the one I know for a fact should work - even if 1.01. shouldn't even affect anything).

The one and only

Hiya!

Just wanna say that I'm loving this game! However, I'm stuck on, let's say, "The Game." I have no idea how to solve "The Game" and there's nothing on your walkthrough on it. Can you help me out, or was it intentional, not putting the solution to "The Game"?

Thanks!

the fire mage

Shadeaux wrote:
Hiya!

Just wanna say that I'm loving this game! However, I'm stuck on, let's say, "The Game." I have no idea how to solve "The Game" and there's nothing on your walkthrough on it. Can you help me out, or was it intentional, not putting the solution to "The Game"?

Thanks!

don't worry i had to look in the game files to the part where you solve it to figure it out.

Spoiler:
the part where mr black is in front of drinks is the key to solving this.

megamike15 wrote:
Shadeaux wrote:
Hiya!

Thanks!

don't worry i had to look in the game files to the part where you solve it to figure it out.

Spoiler:
the part where mr black is in front of drinks is the key to solving this.

I'm very stuck my self. I think I have some of it figured out but the rest i'm not sure of.

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure at 7:10 ms yellow poisons mr black, my first thought was mr black shot her at 8:10 left somehow and died to the poison shortly after in his own room.

I wish this part was covered in the walkthrough its honestly the only part of the game where i've really needed it. The rest of the game you can sorta just throw stuff at the wall till something sticks but that doesn't work for this part. Some help would be appreciated.

Dracarys!

So... I finally got around to playing it. I had a whole file written up on my thoughts about the case, but then TextEdit crashed and so now I'll be rewriting everything from memory.

I played the vanilla version, so maybe some things were addressed in the patch. I might also just be forgetting stuff, since it's been a few days.

Spoiler:
Main points:
I recognized some of the backgrounds and thought that maybe I'd played the original version on AAO before. Once it got to the mystery game part, I was able to confirm that suspicion. I never got past that section on AAO though and thus everything after it was totally new to me (I admittedly cheated there by looking at the Pywright coding).

My first thought upon hearing the name "Hyde" and that Apollo was the suspect was "Apollo turned evil somehow." I was... partially right, I guess? I mean, it wasn't really his fault in the end.

In the detention center, a "label none" result from examining will have Nick's second thought show up with white text, instead of blue.

Saying that Spiderman did it during the trial will loop around in such a way that Nick apparently objects to himself.

I guessed pretty early on that the new detective guy was related to Alita Tiala. I kind of shoved the thought aside though, as nobody really mentioned it until the very end.

I also guessed in the detention center that "Hyde" was Verity (and was a bit confused when it counted that guess wrong). However, I didn't guess the part where she was a ghost possessing the body and initially assumed she was just an Apollo lookalike who happened to have a mannish figure and deep enough voice to get the lower text blip.

I actually liked the ghost plot twist, by the way. I'm guessing that maybe there were others who weren't so keen, but I liked it. The Ace Attorney series has had a background with the supernatural since day one, so it worked well and the logic fit.

One thing that does come to mind though (and keep in mind I'm writing this a few days after finishing the case, so I may have forgotten something or several somethings) is that despite Verity saying she never intended to get Apollo convicted, she never revealed the whole ghost thing until forced to do so. If she really had no intention of ruining Apollo, she could've just come out when the police arrested him and been all like "Hey guys, it's okay. He's innocent. I'm a ghost and I totally killed her. Here is me doing ghost things to prove it. Also, the chief prosecutor and at least one judge are fully aware that ghosts are real - just call them up to check and they'll tell you this is a totally passable explanation for Polly being innocent. Okay, cheers guys, seeya."
Although it might really just boil down to Verity being kind of an ass.

I was expecting the whole Kristoph thing to have a bit more impact on the main plot, but it probably was just intended as a huge red herring. I currently can't remember if the thing with the bloody ace affected the mansion killing case at all, apart from distracting Nick for a bit and then having Tiala come in at the end to be a dick to the Apollo-Verity hybrid.
That being said, it did please me to see the "Trucy forged the bloody ace" fan theory make its way into a game.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the case.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Not really sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but after playing the newer version of Curtain (It's fantastic, by the way) I decided to play the older one as well. I do have a question though, and I'm not sure if there's more to the game or not.
Spoiler: Original Turnabout Curtain
I got to the Ending(Current) part. I also got another ending (The one where you fail to point out the flaw in Prometheus's confession). So, is the "Current" ending the right one? Or is there another one?

Spoiler: One year later
OFC there was another ending that happened to explain just about everything from the original TC,
and of course it takes me over a year to actually find it. :meekins:

The game was amazing, and the story was just great.

However, I found some mistakes. One mistake is in the part during the investigation where you are called by Tiala regarding Dorian. Then when you are given Dorian's checklist(evidence), it is described as "A note found in Tiala's apartment", even when it was clearly Dorian's apartment.

However, the story was just too great, showing all my favourite characters in a single game. :godot: :edgey:

I'm only just at the
Spoiler:
mansion,
but it already feels VERY strange playing this in 2020, considering what's going on in society and
Spoiler:
the police force
right now.
Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games