Page 2 of 2[ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Ace Attorney: The Dark Age of the Law (WIP)Topic%20Title

Precarious Prosecutor

Oliver wrote:
I can't wait for the demo!
When's it's coming out again?
I'll play as Payne, probably.

It's supposed to come out on Christmas because that's when miracles are supposed to happen. It would be a miracle if I can pull off a Christmas release, plus it would be a great gift back to the Ace Attorney community.
I feel I owe you guys something because of all the awesome fan-made stuff you guys made that makes this community so great. :acro:

Except in this case, the miracle will happened. :matt:

Precarious Prosecutor

(Double post, because progress update.)

Spoiler: Looks like a courtroom now

Great Revival

The way this looks is Phoenix gets out from behind his bench, and starts walking towards Edgeworth to wave the knife around again.

Precarious Prosecutor

Meh, I tried. As I probably have stated earlier, spriting's not exactly my thing...

Anyway! I'm going to announce a few new weapons never before seen in Ace Attorney!
Spoiler: New Weapons
The Kettle

And... That's pretty much it for the moment. What did you expect?

Spoiler:
"Uh... Hi."

Great Revival

Kettle best murder weapon.

Precarious Prosecutor

Oliver wrote:

It doesn't look too bad, does it? :beef:
Edit: I mean, I know I did it all from scratch, but if it's no good, I might have to request an actual artist to do my art for me. :payne:

Last edited by Retroxide on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Revival

Retroxide wrote:
Oliver wrote:

It doesn't look too bad, does it? :beef:

Kettle best murder weapon

The Edgy Attorney

So I can kill Edgeworth? With a kettle? In court?

I-I mean this is a very unique idea you got there. Can't wait for the demo to come out. :sahwit:
The fate of two worlds lies in the hands of three lawyers...

A crossover nobody asked for coming never

Precarious Prosecutor

Mr.Edge wrote:
So I can kill Edgeworth? With a kettle? In court?

You make it sound so much like a game of Clue.
"I accuse Mr. Wright of killing the victim with the kettle in the courtroom!"

Portsman

Oh boy, this is exciting to read about. I really hope this works out and everything. This would easily steal hours upon hours of my time. I loved play Ace Attorney games. I like doing fan-made Ace Attorney cases playing the characters. But creating basically my own little mini story-line? Oh god, hours will be lost as I sit there with many .txt documents open and just typing away.

Precarious Prosecutor

Meh, it's been a while since I posted something, so here's what I've been working on in the meantime:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

These are the current 'character selection buttons'. If a character has yet to be unlocked or implemented, their icon will have a psyche-lock over it.
Like so:

Scratch spriter

I'm so hyped!
If you need help with graphics contact me.

Great Revival

Retroxide wrote:

That's Franziska or Manfred, right? Under the lock?

Precarious Prosecutor

Oliver wrote:
That's Franziska or Manfred, right? Under the lock?

Nah, that was Mia.
This is what they would look like under the locks:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Precarious Prosecutor

OMG! Happy 700 views!
Yay! :lisa-hands:
Things seem to be coming along rather nicely, but not at the pace that I think we need to be at for the demo to be released come Christmas time. I'm considering allowing others to join the development team because I feel that I've too many things to focus on at the moment and they're getting me somewhat distracted...
Notice how the last few updates were all about sprites and whatnot? That's kinda what I'm talking about. I've been spending so much time on sprites and general dilly-dallying that I've somewhat neglected coding the actual game.

So, I come to you, Court Records, for some help. I need someone (or a group of people) to help design the 8-bit sprites, evidence icons, locations and interface for the time being until I'm done with the general mechanics. They don't really have to be that great either, as I could fix them up when I'm done, but I would prefer it if they looked somewhat aesthetically pleasing and captured the essence of the project so I don't have to go back over them.

Hesseldahl wrote:
I'm so hyped!

Well, you might just be in luck! You can email me at sincereserpent@gmail.com and I can see what I can get you to do for me. (If you're still up for it of course!)

Also, for anyone that is interested, I made a google form that will allow you to write snippets of random dialogue that you may hope to see in the game. It would help me so much in terms of truly emulating the Ace Attorney experience, so please don't neglect to post something there. :sahwit:
Link:
http://goo.gl/forms/yGHGHl8COl

Also, I'm going to end this post on a high note. How about some progress pics:
Spoiler: Quick mock-up of character selection screen

Retroxide wrote:
Spoiler: Original Post
This is my first ever post on the forums, so I hope I'm doing this right. :basil:

For the last few days, I've been working on a project in Unity that I've been meaning to make for a while now. Ever since I stopped making cases on Attorney Online, I've been trying to get back into playing with other people, but nobody seems to be on by the time I get there anymore. :payne:

So that got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if there was an application out there that made case-making easier, allowed you to play by yourself (or with friends, I suppose) and let you play as the murderer if you so chose?

Anyway, now that we're past the elevator pitch, it's time to give the details of the game.

It's being programmed with Unity 5. I'm an awful programmer, but I guess I'll need to work with what I've got.

The character sprites/other images (not counting sprites found in the media section of Court Records) will be made using Photoshop. The character sprites are going to be based off of the 8-bit 3DS theme because I am hopeless at drawing and design, but I will be using the main series sprites for cross examinations and the like because I feel their emotions would be genuinely hard to express otherwise.

Tried my hand at text art:

The story is entirely dynamic and is affected by how you play. For instance, say you picked up the murder weapon at any time before the murder and you are not the defendant. It will trigger an event that records the fact that your fingerprints are on the weapon and it will also run a check against whether or not you are the suspect. In this case, a description will be added to the weapon, indicating that it "bears the defendant's and an unidentified person's fingerprints".

Furthermore, each character that you play as (yes, you will be able to play as any Ace Attorney character if all goes to plan) has different abilities that enables you to collect more/different evidence than others. Lotta Hart, for instance, can take photos, which can be used to create an alibi or to preserve the scene before someone sabotages it. Luke Atmey can perform a Sherlock-esque scan of the scene, highlighting important objects that may hold a few clues, or it could be something as simple as :trucy: Trucy with her magic panties giving you the ability to hold more items at once.

Where I'm at so far:
ImageImage

Anyway, I'd totally post a demo but I'm afraid there's really not that much to do at the moment. You can run around as Phoenix and harass Edgeworth :edgeworth: by waving his own knife in his face and test out the menu system, but that's about it. Right now, I'm just trying to get the mechanics down. Anyway, I know it sounds somewhat ambitious with only one person (me) working on the project, but someone's gotta do it, right?

(I'm also considering recruiting some voice actors later on down the track. I'm not sure if it will fit, but I'll wait until I've laid out all of this project's foundations first before I start thinking about that sort of thing.)

Overview:
Play as your favorite Ace Attorney characters as you interact with the vast world of Japanifornia. Each scene is to be crafted with great attention to detail and lore in this retro side-scrolling, murder mystery generator. After a murder has been performed (by your hands or the hands of others), you may choose to prosecute against the defendant, defend the accused or testify in court, using a unique system that allows certain statements to be generated from an evidence/alibi list to build your own testimony as you wish to.

Planned Releases:
[The following dates are subject to change.]
:sahwit: Version 0.2 (Game Mechanics Demo) - 25/12/15
:gant: Version 1.0 (All PW:AA Characters/Locations/Evidence) - TBA
:shellydekiller: Version 2.0 (All PW:JFA Characters/Locations/Evidence) - TBA
(More to come later maybe. I know this is probably not how they should be set out, but meh.)

Version 0.2 Progress:
(Still getting this post set up. I'll add more to it later.)
Custom Art:
Spoiler: Custom Character Sprites: ~48.15%
Planned Sprites: 26/54
Cindy Stone: 2/7
Frank Sahwit: 12/18
Larry Butz: 2/6
Mia Fey: 2/6
Phoenix Wright: 6/6
Winston Payne: 1/5
The Judge: 1/6
Spoiler: Locations: ~33.33%
Cindy Stone's Apartment = Incomplete
Courtroom No. 2 = Complete
Defendant Lobby No. 2 = Incomplete
Spoiler: 8-Bit Sprite Progress (Not counting reverse images)

Custom Sounds:
Implemented Mechanics:

Interesting concept youv'e got here, would it be like a sandbox-ish style thing or revolves around story?

Retroxide wrote:
This is my first ever post on the forums, so I hope I'm doing this right. :basil:

For the last few days, I've been working on a project in Unity that I've been meaning to make for a while now. Ever since I stopped making cases on Attorney Online, I've been trying to get back into playing with other people, but nobody seems to be on by the time I get there anymore. :payne:

So that got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if there was an application out there that made case-making easier, allowed you to play by yourself (or with friends, I suppose) and let you play as the murderer if you so chose?

Anyway, now that we're past the elevator pitch, it's time to give the details of the game.

It's being programmed with Unity 5. I'm an awful programmer, but I guess I'll need to work with what I've got.

The character sprites/other images (not counting sprites found in the media section of Court Records) will be made using Photoshop. The character sprites are going to be based off of the 8-bit 3DS theme because I am hopeless at drawing and design, but I will be using the main series sprites for cross examinations and the like because I feel their emotions would be genuinely hard to express otherwise.

The story is entirely dynamic and is affected by how you play. For instance, say you picked up the murder weapon at any time before the murder and you are not the defendant. It will trigger an event that records the fact that your fingerprints are on the weapon and it will also run a check against whether or not you are the suspect. In this case, a description will be added to the weapon, indicating that it "bears the defendant's and an unidentified person's fingerprints".

Furthermore, each character that you play as (yes, you will be able to play as any Ace Attorney character if all goes to plan) has different abilities that enables you to collect more/different evidence than others. Lotta Hart, for instance, can take photos, which can be used to create an alibi or to preserve the scene before someone sabotages it. Luke Atmey can perform a Sherlock-esque scan of the scene, highlighting important objects that may hold a few clues, or it could be something as simple as :trucy: Trucy with her magic panties giving you the ability to hold more items at once.

Where I'm at so far:
ImageImage

Anyway, I'd totally post a demo but I'm afraid there's really not that much to do at the moment. You can run around as Phoenix and harass Edgeworth :edgeworth: by waving his own knife in his face and test out the menu system, but that's about it. Right now, I'm just trying to get the mechanics down. Anyway, I know it sounds somewhat ambitious with only one person (me) working on the project, but someone's gotta do it, right?

(I'm also considering recruiting some voice actors later on down the track. I'm not sure if it will fit, but I'll wait until I've laid out all of this project's foundations first before I start thinking about that sort of thing.)

Overview:
Play as your favorite Ace Attorney characters as you interact with the vast world of Japanifornia. Each scene is to be crafted with great attention to detail and lore in this retro side-scrolling, murder mystery generator. After a murder has been performed (by your hands or the hands of others), you may choose to prosecute against the defendant, defend the accused or testify in court, using a unique system that allows certain statements to be generated from an evidence/alibi list to build your own testimony as you wish to.

Planned Releases:
(More to come later maybe. I know this is probably not how they should be set out, but meh.)

Version 0.2 Progress:
Custom Art:

Custom Sounds:
Implemented Mechanics:

Interesting concept you've got here, would it be like a sandbox-ish style thing or revolves around story?

Retroxide wrote:

Where I'm at so far:
ImageImage

Overview:

Planned Releases:

Version 0.2 Progress:
Custom Art:

Custom Sounds:
Implemented Mechanics:

Interesting concept you've got here, would it be like a sandbox-ish style thing or revolves around story?

Precarious Prosecutor

BurntShooter wrote:

It's pretty much a sandbox, but the trial phase will follow a story that is set by everyone's actions in the sandbox phase.

Red string of fate tied me to manilla

ooh, this sounds amazing! I can't wait :D

Precarious Prosecutor

MoonRaven wrote:
ooh, this sounds amazing! I can't wait :D

Thank you so much! :basil:

Spoiler: Latest Update

So far, not a whole lot more to show. The trial mode has been started. The text automatically appears like it does in the games. I don't think I can change text speed or play sounds mid-sentence, but I can do pretty much all of that just before a character starts to speak, so expect Oldbag to retain her signature motormouth during rambling sections. :oldbag:
To my surprise, Unity is a very valid case-maker. It just requires a touch more effort than most of the others (in my opinion). :eh?:

Retroxide wrote:
BurntShooter wrote:

It's pretty much a sandbox, but the trial phase will follow a story that is set by everyone's actions in the sandbox phase.

Followed by a story set by the actions in the sandbox phase? So something like a TellTale Game?

Precarious Prosecutor

BurntShooter wrote:
Followed by a story set by the actions in the sandbox phase? So something like a TellTale Game?

Well, TellTale games still follow a specific narrative, albeit with minor variations to the plot. Take 'The Walking Dead' for instance.
Spoiler: The Walking Dead Telltale Game spoilers
At one point, you get to choose to save either Doug or Carley when you're attacked by walkers in the shop. Regardless of who you choose to save, they're still going to get shot in the face a couple of chapters later by Lilly in 'The Long Road' anyway, so it's really more of an aesthetic change if anything.
It's pretty much a sandbox game that doesn't follow any specific narrative, save for the one you create yourself.
Edit: In that sense, it's pretty much TellTale games on steroids.

Retroxide wrote:
BurntShooter wrote:

Well, TellTale games still follow a specific narrative, albeit with minor variations to the plot. Take 'The Walking Dead' for instance.
Spoiler: The Walking Dead Telltale Game spoilers
At one point, you get to choose to save either Doug or Carley when you're attacked by walkers in the shop. Regardless of who you choose to save, they're still going to get shot in the face a couple of chapters later by Lilly in 'The Long Road' anyway, so it's really more of an aesthetic change if anything.
It's pretty much a sandbox game that doesn't follow any specific narrative, save for the one you create yourself.
Edit: In that sense, it's pretty much TellTale games on steroids.

So to put it in a nutshell: Ace Attorney meets Telltale meets sandbox meets pixles.
I'd totally pay for a TT Ace Attorney game

Hello! Hello! *squawk*

This seems really interesting, and it has a lot of potential. I can't wait to try it out.

Polly wrote:
This seems really interesting, and it has a lot of potential. I can't wait to try it out.

Why is a parrot using a keyboard?

Retroxide wrote:

Where I'm at so far:
ImageImage

Overview:

Planned Releases:

Version 0.2 Progress:
Custom Art:

Custom Sounds:
Implemented Mechanics:

Y' Know, after you helped me with the sprites on my game, i feel like I owe you something, If you need help with anything, anything at all, Please go ahead and contact me, Im free at all times.

Hello! Hello! *squawk*

Retroxide wrote:
OMG! Happy 700 views!
Yay! :lisa-hands:
Things seem to be coming along rather nicely, but not at the pace that I think we need to be at for the demo to be released come Christmas time. I'm considering allowing others to join the development team because I feel that I've too many things to focus on at the moment and they're getting me somewhat distracted...
Notice how the last few updates were all about sprites and whatnot? That's kinda what I'm talking about. I've been spending so much time on sprites and general dilly-dallying that I've somewhat neglected coding the actual game.

So, I come to you, Court Records, for some help. I need someone (or a group of people) to help design the 8-bit sprites, evidence icons, locations and interface for the time being until I'm done with the general mechanics. They don't really have to be that great either, as I could fix them up when I'm done, but I would prefer it if they looked somewhat aesthetically pleasing and captured the essence of the project so I don't have to go back over them.

Hesseldahl wrote:
I'm so hyped!

Well, you might just be in luck! You can email me at sincereserpent@gmail.com and I can see what I can get you to do for me. (If you're still up for it of course!)

Also, for anyone that is interested, I made a google form that will allow you to write snippets of random dialogue that you may hope to see in the game. It would help me so much in terms of truly emulating the Ace Attorney experience, so please don't neglect to post something there. :sahwit:
Link:
http://goo.gl/forms/yGHGHl8COl

Also, I'm going to end this post on a high note. How about some progress pics:
Spoiler: Quick mock-up of character selection screen

What kind of dialog are you looking for? Just any commentary or one-liners, things for specific events, etc?

Precarious Prosecutor

Alrighty! Sorry for the long absence! Stuff has been pretty hectic as of late. :basil:
My computer started leaking late last year, so we had to return it. Unfortunately, I hadn't backed up my progress on the game, so it was lost forever...
Or so I thought. Turns out they could put all of the game's data onto a disk that I could use to recover everything.
The only problem though is that I don't have a disk tray on my computer. Aaaaanyway, I got me a portable hard drive that I can use now just in case this happens again, but the thing is that I need to use another computer to copy the data onto it, so I haven't even checked to see if the data was successfully transferred or anything.

Long story short:
The game's still in development, but it's gonna be a while until I can start working on it again.

Retroxide wrote:
Alrighty! Sorry for the long absence! Stuff has been pretty hectic as of late. :basil:
My computer started leaking late last year, so we had to return it. Unfortunately, I hadn't backed up my progress on the game, so it was lost forever...
Or so I thought. Turns out they could put all of the game's data onto a disk that I could use to recover everything.
The only problem though is that I don't have a disk tray on my computer. Aaaaanyway, I got me a portable hard drive that I can use now just in case this happens again, but the thing is that I need to use another computer to copy the data onto it, so I haven't even checked to see if the data was successfully transferred or anything.

Long story short:
The game's still in development, but it's gonna be a while until I can start working on it again.

Oh good! Your not dead.

Is this still being worked on? Or is it dead? Really want to play it.

Precarious Prosecutor

BurntShooter wrote:
Is this still being worked on? Or is it dead? Really want to play it.

Alrighty, after all of that time on hiatus, I'm back to working on the game again. I copied over the game from the backup I made and it's missing a sizeable chunk of the progress I had made, but that doesn't matter. It's getting an overhaul anyway.
I've had a lot of stuff to deal with in real life like my job, relationships and depression, but I feel like I am in a good spot at the moment, so I am resuming development of this game.
Anyway, The Dark Age of the Law is going to be simplified somewhat and some features will be left out for the moment until I have the basic game ready to play. That means that I am going to have to cut out dynamic murders for the time being, so I can work on the rest of the game first. I know it's probably the biggest selling point of this game, but don't despair! It will probably be added later on in the development of this game.
As for now, I am going to be working on the campaign mode of the game, which will allow up to two local players to investigate crime scenes and participate in court.
I'm still trying to figure out how to fit a second person into the gameplay of a trial phase.
I'm thinking about having it so that during the trial phase, one person goes defense and the other goes prosecution and their goal is to present evidence to progress through the trial until the truth comes out. Because this is a linear story and to prevent getting an easy win by deliberately losing as the prosecution, I'm thinking about getting the judge to declare a not guilty verdict, but then it fades to black and says that the truth was lost for all eternity or something. You'd lose like you would in a game (as either side), with a depleted life gauge.
Anyway, I hope that you're not mad at me for dropping off the grid like that for so long! I'm not gonna give up on this thing just yet! :trucy:
More updates to come when they're done!

That's Great! Getting pretty hyped for this now!

Precarious Prosecutor

To show that the ball is indeed rolling, I've a little bit of WiP script from the tutorial case. I'm probably going to change it later on when I play T&T again just so I can get the personalities spot on, so this is by no means set in stone.
Spoiler:
Mia: Wasn’t he supposed to be represented by a state-appointed lawyer anyway?
Diego: I said he was entitled to a “fair” trial, Kitten.
Mia: Good point. Hey, how come you’re so lucid? What time did you go to sleep anyway?
Diego: Sleep? What do you mean?
Mia: (Oh, I forgot who I’m talking to. He probably bleeds coffee.)
Diego: Before we start, I want to know if you’re up to scratch with everything so far. Did you get a good look at the victim’s autopsy report?
Mia: The victim’s autopsy report? (Crap! I still haven’t read it.) Uh…
Diego: Hmm? No? So you haven’t read it yet either?
Mia: (You’ve got to be kidding me… And he’s supposed to be the favorite.)
Diego: Don’t fret. We can read it together. You did bring your copy with you, didn’t you, Kitten?
Mia: Uh, yeah. I have it here somewhere…

Page 2 of 2 [ 74 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Present Evidence » Games