Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 2 of 2[ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: PW: Abstract of Judgment (TURNABOUT TWIST PART 1 DONE)Topic%20Title

Yabba Dabba Doo

Southern Corn wrote:
If you are going to have the protagonist's profile,then be consistent and keep it for every case. This was one of 3-2's weaknesses.

Eh, not really. 3-1 starred Mia, so it was important that the game let players know that they were playing as Phoenix in 3-2, especially if it was their first game played in the series. And in COI, it's only in the first case for shits and giggles and there isn't really a problem. If it's just there because why not, then it only has to be in one case.

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Thunder84 wrote:
Southern Corn wrote:
If you are going to have the protagonist's profile,then be consistent and keep it for every case. This was one of 3-2's weaknesses.

Eh, not really. 3-1 starred Mia, so it was important that the game let players know that they were playing as Phoenix in 3-2, especially if it was their first game played in the series. And in COI, it's only in the first case for shits and giggles and there isn't really a problem. If it's just there because why not, then it only has to be in one case.

The contents of Phoenix's profile in the first case is just full of random crap so yeah it'll probably just be in T-Twist. It's there to be funny. Or try to be funny, anyways.

Happy Maria

Yeah but in 3-2 it is the only time that the protagonist's profile shows up while you're playing as them,making that contradiction easy to figure out.

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Southern Corn wrote:
Yeah but in 3-2 it is the only time that the protagonist's profile shows up while you're playing as them,making that contradiction easy to figure out.

Ah. Well...I just have it in just because. :P
Re: PW: Abstract of Judgment (TURNABOUT TWIST PART 1 OUT NOWTopic%20Title

To lurk, or not to lurk.

The first half of Turnabout Twist is public now! Check it out if you want, hope you enjoy it!

Yabba Dabba Doo

087-B wrote:
The first half of Turnabout Twist is public now! Check it out if you want, hope you enjoy it!

Just finished, and I have a few notes.

Spoiler:
I commend you for getting out there and making a case, as most people don't even get past the developing stage. And hell, the whole idea of the case isn't bad at all. But to say that it's a bit rough around the edges would be...an understatement, to say the least.

1. Before I get into critiques, I just have a couple questions. For custom sprites, will Maya, Trucy, Ema, Sahwit, etc be getting upgrades? I remember you saying that you'd have everyone with DD/SoJ sprites (I might be wrong though), and I'm not sure if that's still in development or not. Especially for Maya, because her profile picture looks so vastly different from her sprites.

2. While focusing on length and adding pointless dialogue to a case is often one of the many things I've seen ruin fancases, this feels...rushed. For example, I have absolutely no idea where the crime took place at all. I vaguely remember Ema saying that Pearl's prints are on the lamp (And where did this lamp come from, anyway?). Sahwit just kinda pops up (Although I do enjoy him as the prosecutor, his ineptitude is pretty funny). Iris also just kinda shows up for a few seconds, and while I get that Phoenix isn't supposed to know why she's there, it's still kinda like "Oh hi Iris oh ok bye Iris". All I can say is add more details. Flesh out the plot more. I'm not saying rewrite the entire thing, but give it some love. Make it so the player knows as much as possible about the case without adding needless banter. And I know that's very difficult, but adding details and practicing adding details will really improve this case by a lot, and having this experience will help you with your other cases down the line also.

3. More on the detail part, probably the biggest moment I noticed a problem was Pearl's first testimony. I get the contradiction and everything, and you do mention that she has no idea who the victim was earlier in the case, but in the Phoenix Wright universe it's very much implied (and very likely) that the defendant is in the courtroom somewhere. Heck, it's pretty much shown to be true in Turnabout Academy (When Hue breaks down on the stand, Juniper is off to the side in the cutscene). So I can see a lot of people skipping over that, because to them, that's not a contradiction. So I'd personally make some sort of mention that Pearl is specifically not in the courtroom during the beginning of the trial. Maybe she's feeling sick and has to stay in the lobby, etc.

4. I'm guessing this was to introduce the psyche-locks, but why the heck does Klavier show up? I get that you want to reveal him as the witness, but it makes no sense for him to be there. If the police just found a witness, and there's only 20 minutes for the recess, he'll be in the prosecutor's lobby for sure, prepping his testimony. And even if Sahwit is an incompetent nincompoop, Klavier is not. It just doesn't really make much sense in context whatsoever.

5. This'll improve as you begin to make your own sprites/art, but the overload of returning characters in this case is pretty obvious. With no new characters, the creativity scale feels...lower, I guess. And with the evidence (Specifically the photo) just being created/used from past games, it drops even more. Again, this'll feel much better when your art skills improve (Trust me, they will). Fixing up the evidence and giving Sahwit custom sprites would do wonders.

6. Maybe this is just me, and I might be misremembering this, but IIRC if a piece of dialogue starts with a "...", the first word is capitalized. (Ex: "...Yeah, that sounds right." instead of "...yeah, that sounds right.")

Despite all the criticisms, I really did enjoy the case, and I see a lot of potential for this. And I don't mean to shame your game at all. I apologize if I sound condescending, but I'm only saying these because I really want this game to succeed. With CoC wrapping up, I'd love for another big fangame to begin, and with work, this can end up really, really good.

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Thunder84 wrote:
087-B wrote:

Spoiler:
I commend you for getting out there and making a case, as most people don't even get past the developing stage. And hell, the whole idea of the case isn't bad at all. But to say that it's a bit rough around the edges would be...an understatement, to say the least.

1. Before I get into critiques, I just have a couple questions. For custom sprites, will Maya, Trucy, Ema, Sahwit, etc be getting upgrades? I remember you saying that you'd have everyone with DD/SoJ sprites (I might be wrong though), and I'm not sure if that's still in development or not. Especially for Maya, because her profile picture looks so vastly different from her sprites.

2. While focusing on length and adding pointless dialogue to a case is often one of the many things I've seen ruin fancases, this feels...rushed. For example, I have absolutely no idea where the crime took place at all. I vaguely remember Ema saying that Pearl's prints are on the lamp (And where did this lamp come from, anyway?). Sahwit just kinda pops up (Although I do enjoy him as the prosecutor, his ineptitude is pretty funny). Iris also just kinda shows up for a few seconds, and while I get that Phoenix isn't supposed to know why she's there, it's still kinda like "Oh hi Iris oh ok bye Iris". All I can say is add more details. Flesh out the plot more. I'm not saying rewrite the entire thing, but give it some love. Make it so the player knows as much as possible about the case without adding needless banter. And I know that's very difficult, but adding details and practicing adding details will really improve this case by a lot, and having this experience will help you with your other cases down the line also.

3. More on the detail part, probably the biggest moment I noticed a problem was Pearl's first testimony. I get the contradiction and everything, and you do mention that she has no idea who the victim was earlier in the case, but in the Phoenix Wright universe it's very much implied (and very likely) that the defendant is in the courtroom somewhere. Heck, it's pretty much shown to be true in Turnabout Academy (When Hue breaks down on the stand, Juniper is off to the side in the cutscene). So I can see a lot of people skipping over that, because to them, that's not a contradiction. So I'd personally make some sort of mention that Pearl is specifically not in the courtroom during the beginning of the trial. Maybe she's feeling sick and has to stay in the lobby, etc.

4. I'm guessing this was to introduce the psyche-locks, but why the heck does Klavier show up? I get that you want to reveal him as the witness, but it makes no sense for him to be there. If the police just found a witness, and there's only 20 minutes for the recess, he'll be in the prosecutor's lobby for sure, prepping his testimony. And even if Sahwit is an incompetent nincompoop, Klavier is not. It just doesn't really make much sense in context whatsoever.

5. This'll improve as you begin to make your own sprites/art, but the overload of returning characters in this case is pretty obvious. With no new characters, the creativity scale feels...lower, I guess. And with the evidence (Specifically the photo) just being created/used from past games, it drops even more. Again, this'll feel much better when your art skills improve (Trust me, they will). Fixing up the evidence and giving Sahwit custom sprites would do wonders.

6. Maybe this is just me, and I might be misremembering this, but IIRC if a piece of dialogue starts with a "...", the first word is capitalized. (Ex: "...Yeah, that sounds right." instead of "...yeah, that sounds right.")

Despite all the criticisms, I really did enjoy the case, and I see a lot of potential for this. And I don't mean to shame your game at all. I apologize if I sound condescending, but I'm only saying these because I really want this game to succeed. With CoC wrapping up, I'd love for another big fangame to begin, and with work, this can end up really, really good.

I'll properly respond to this when I get the chance. I just wanted to thank you for your feedback. :)

As for my art skills, well, I suck at art. XD
I tell stories. Graphics ain't my thing, never will be. I have to rely on other people, sorry to say.

Happy Maria

So have you looked into a graphics person yet?

Yabba Dabba Doo

087-B wrote:
Thunder84 wrote:
087-B wrote:

Spoiler:

I'll properly respond to this when I get the chance. I just wanted to thank you for your feedback. :)

As for my art skills, well, I suck at art. XD
I tell stories. Graphics ain't my thing, never will be. I have to rely on other people, sorry to say.

No problem whatsoever :godot: .

As for graphics, I'd look for a guy as soon as possible. Putting out the case has been fantastic, and showing that you're willing to get shit done will be a major plus if you're looking for a spriter. But also, I'd recommend trying it a bit yourself. Hell, I'm not an art person, but eventually I sucked it up and decided to try. It wasn't anything major, just recoloring a beard, but I was genuinely surprised with how it came out. So if you're bored, just try it out a bit. You might be surprised what a bit of patience can get you :).

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Southern Corn wrote:
So have you looked into a graphics person yet?

Nope. Most people require payment. I have no money so I'm stuck there.

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Thunder84 wrote:

As for graphics, I'd look for a guy as soon as possible. Putting out the case has been fantastic, and showing that you're willing to get shit done will be a major plus if you're looking for a spriter. But also, I'd recommend trying it a bit yourself. Hell, I'm not an art person, but eventually I sucked it up and decided to try. It wasn't anything major, just recoloring a beard, but I was genuinely surprised with how it came out. So if you're bored, just try it out a bit. You might be surprised what a bit of patience can get you :).

I would have been looking for a guy earlier, if I could pay him. XD

I could try my hand at it on my own time I guess. It'd be hard as heck...but I'll give it a shot.

How would I turn the sprites into gifs?

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Thunder84 wrote:
087-B wrote:

Spoiler:

My response, don't worry it's civilized.

Spoiler:
Thanks for the critiques, I appreciate you not calling my messy trial absolute garbage. :)

1. I can...try, I guess. I mean, I, for the LIFE of me, cannot sprite or rip models, so I could use Maya's SoJ rips for example, since I have found some, but they would not fit in that well with the sprite style of the game. But still, I guess I could use them. As for saying everyone would have their DD/SoJ sprites...I don't remember saying that? I honestly just don't want anything to look "super wrong and out of place", so what would be more suitable; Trilogy/AJ sprites, or DD/SoJ 3D models?

2. I have a lot of extra script that I cut, really, cause I thought it'd make everything drag on and be boring and pointless. Now that I look at it, though, I could add it in and then some to make things more fleshed out and detailed, more familial and loving like an AA game is I guess. I see what you mean, though. Just remember, most of the questions you may end up having will either be answered with edits, or answered in part II. :P

3. Ah, that's honestly something I didn't notice/realize. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

4. I fumbled a bit in this part and yeah, I rushed it just a bit, so pardon my idiocy. I'll shuffle over and clean this portion up to make sense to explain why Klavier has popped into the defendant's lobby.

5. I REALLY want to give Sahwit custom sprites. But my art skills have always sucked, heh. As for the photo...it looks fine to me, honestly. I can see why the creativity scale has decreased but...meh. I'm fine with it personally. And as for just improving my art skills...I don't like drawing or making art. It's not my forte or my interest, but I guess I'm gonna have to suck it up and start enjoying it.

6. Meh. I follow my own grammar rules. :P
I try to make it neat and legible, and you're the first to point something like this out. I guess I'll fix it.

Yabba Dabba Doo

087-B wrote:
Thunder84 wrote:

I would have been looking for a guy earlier, if I could pay him. XD

I could try my hand at it on my own time I guess. It'd be hard as heck...but I'll give it a shot.

How would I turn the sprites into gifs?

As for that, I'm probably not the best person to ask. All of my coding/spriting experience is with PyWright. I'm not sure how AAO sprites work, nor do I know how to make gifs. I'd recommend going to someone with a lot of experience in AAO, such as BP or DWAM.

Yabba Dabba Doo

087-B wrote:
Thunder84 wrote:
087-B wrote:

Spoiler:

My response, don't worry it's civilized.

Spoiler:
Thanks for the critiques, I appreciate you not calling my messy trial absolute garbage. :)

1. I can...try, I guess. I mean, I, for the LIFE of me, cannot sprite or rip models, so I could use Maya's SoJ rips for example, since I have found some, but they would not fit in that well with the sprite style of the game. But still, I guess I could use them. As for saying everyone would have their DD/SoJ sprites...I don't remember saying that? I honestly just don't want anything to look "super wrong and out of place", so what would be more suitable; Trilogy/AJ sprites, or DD/SoJ 3D models?

2. I have a lot of extra script that I cut, really, cause I thought it'd make everything drag on and be boring and pointless. Now that I look at it, though, I could add it in and then some to make things more fleshed out and detailed, more familial and loving like an AA game is I guess. I see what you mean, though. Just remember, most of the questions you may end up having will either be answered with edits, or answered in part II. :P

3. Ah, that's honestly something I didn't notice/realize. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

4. I fumbled a bit in this part and yeah, I rushed it just a bit, so pardon my idiocy. I'll shuffle over and clean this portion up to make sense to explain why Klavier has popped into the defendant's lobby.

5. I REALLY want to give Sahwit custom sprites. But my art skills have always sucked, heh. As for the photo...it looks fine to me, honestly. I can see why the creativity scale has decreased but...meh. I'm fine with it personally. And as for just improving my art skills...I don't like drawing or making art. It's not my forte or my interest, but I guess I'm gonna have to suck it up and start enjoying it.

6. Meh. I follow my own grammar rules. :P
I try to make it neat and legible, and you're the first to point something like this out. I guess I'll fix it.

Yeah, art can be a very tricky thing. And while i think the case would improve quite a bit, there's nothing bad with the current art at all. I'm just saying that if you do get a sprinter in the future, those are a few things that could be improved. Overall though, it's not necessarily a weakness.

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Thunder84 wrote:
Yeah, art can be a very tricky thing. And while i think the case would improve quite a bit, there's nothing bad with the current art at all. I'm just saying that if you do get a sprinter in the future, those are a few things that could be improved. Overall though, it's not necessarily a weakness.

Yeah, I can maybe experiment with something, just don't expect anything high quality. If anything, I'd like my effort to be appreciated and not my outcome. XD
But thanks, I went in and updated a bit of the text, added in a bit more personality to the case and made things a tad more fleshed out in the points you, well, pointed out. I'll work on it more when I have time, add in more detail and update some sprites, but hey, it's a start. :)

...and this is only my first ever case, it won't be as masterful as CoC is the moment I kick it off. XD
And I forgot to point out, yes this case only has returning characters, but Case 2 is where original characters begin appearing. Honestly, I'd have to rewrite everything just to include an original character. And I don't want to rewrite this case again.

Yabba Dabba Doo

087-B wrote:
Thunder84 wrote:

Yeah, I can maybe experiment with something, just don't expect anything high quality. If anything, I'd like my effort to be appreciated and not my outcome. XD
But thanks, I went in and updated a bit of the text, added in a bit more personality to the case and made things a tad more fleshed out in the points you, well, pointed out. I'll work on it more when I have time, add in more detail and update some sprites, but hey, it's a start. :)

...and this is only my first ever case, it won't be as masterful as CoC is the moment I kick it off. XD
And I forgot to point out, yes this case only has returning characters, but Case 2 is where original characters begin appearing. Honestly, I'd have to rewrite everything just to include an original character. And I don't want to rewrite this case again.

If I came off as the first case being all returning characters, I apologize. Having one case (especially a first case) with all returnees is fine. I'm just saying it because of his different a feel it has.

And don't worry; both CoC and CoI started off like this too. Your skills will improve over time, trust me.

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Thunder84 wrote:
If I came off as the first case being all returning characters, I apologize. Having one case (especially a first case) with all returnees is fine. I'm just saying it because of his different a feel it has.

And don't worry; both CoC and CoI started off like this too. Your skills will improve over time, trust me.

Thanks. I appreciate all of this. ^^

I updated the sprites of Ema, changing them to her SoJ models. Had time today during school which is super lucky honestly.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Well, I just replayed your case with all the edits, and I can say that it is much, much better. Everything flows much more smoothly, the Ema sprites/models look great, and the case is much more explained. Well done.

Scratch spriter

First of all, I want to congratulate you for making this case, it's writing it's good overall and there haven't been any glaring grammatical errors, you have captured the essence of this characters and that's something most new authors struggle with (Heck, even Yamazaki struggles with that).
Despite all of the good points of this case I do have some nitpicks.
I'm not fond of the sprite and background elections.
I think you should stick to the normal Apollo Justice court backgrounds, and change the sprites of the canon characters, since most of them are edited from the original trilogy instead of being based from the new games, the only exception being the Ema SoJ rips which look really bizarre aside the other characters.

And now talking about the case writing and pacing and other details:
-The first scene where Edgeworth is talking about the Dark Age of the Law feels forced, since it seems like it came from nowhere.
-It wish that you could have yourself a chat with Edgeworth,Pearl and Iris instead of being auto-transitioned to the next scene.
-I don't really like the cross examination-moderato theme that you choose.
- I wish you had a voice clip for Sahwit's objection, I think you could use one of these as a placeholder or as a definitive one: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... =30&t=6811

That's basically all, I wish you good luck!

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Hesseldahl wrote:
First of all, I want to congratulate you for making this case, it's writing it's good overall and there haven't been any glaring grammatical errors, you have captured the essence of this characters and that's something most new authors struggle with (Heck, even Yamazaki struggles with that).
I think you should stick to the normal Apollo Justice court backgrounds, and change the sprites of the canon characters, since most of them are edited from the original trilogy instead of being based from the new games, the only exception being the Ema SoJ rips which look really bizarre aside the other characters.

-The first scene where Edgeworth is talking about the Dark Age of the Law feels forced, since it seems like it came from nowhere.
-It wish that you could have yourself a chat with Edgeworth,Pearl and Iris instead of being auto-transitioned to the next scene.
- I wish you had a voice clip for Sahwit's objection, I think you could use one of these as a placeholder or as a definitive one: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... =30&t=6811

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. :)
It's a shame I disagree with so much of it though. XD

Honestly, I don't like the AJ courtroom. Like, at all. XP personally, I feel the AAI courtroom fits better.
The characters...kind of HAVE to look like that. I can't really spoil why but let's just say if they didn't then everything would look worse later on.
But...you did just post some AJ-Ema edits to look like her SoJ self, sooo...maybe I could use those?

I would have actual conversations with them but honestly I doubt I have enough memory left on the case file to add any in. ^^;
As for the theme, well...I wanted an original theme. What would you have used?
And I used Gaspen's objection cause there's really no other voice I can imagine for Sahwit, honestly.

But again, thanks for the feedback. ^^

Scratch spriter

087-B wrote:
Hesseldahl wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. :)
It's a shame I disagree with so much of it though. XD

Honestly, I don't like the AJ courtroom. Like, at all. XP personally, I feel the AAI courtroom fits better.
The characters...kind of HAVE to look like that. I can't really spoil why but let's just say if they didn't then everything would look worse later on.
But...you did just post some AJ-Ema edits to look like her SoJ self, sooo...maybe I could use those?

I would have actual conversations with them but honestly I doubt I have enough memory left on the case file to add any in. ^^;
As for the theme, well...I wanted an original theme. What would you have used?
And I used Gaspen's objection cause there's really no other voice I can imagine for Sahwit, honestly.

But again, thanks for the feedback. ^^

It's ok to disagree, as you said, maybe later on I will understand most of your choices or maybe not!

About the Ema edits, it's your decision, I personally think that SoJ rips look weird when put alongside normal AA sprites.
I personally, think that it would be better to continue just using AAI2 music, so I think that the confrontation themes would fit better.
And I didn't hear Gaspen voice clip playing when Sawhit objected, that's why I suggested to use another voice, maybe the link is broken?

Your welcome! I really hope that you succeed on your fan game.

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Hesseldahl wrote:
It's ok to disagree, as you said, maybe later on I will understand most of your choices or maybe not!

About the Ema edits, it's your decision, I personally think that SoJ rips look weird when put alongside normal AA sprites.
I personally, think that it would be better to continue just using AAI2 music, so I think that the confrontation themes would fit better.
And I didn't hear Gaspen voice clip playing when Sawhit objected, that's why I suggested to use another voice, maybe the link is broken?

Your welcome! I really hope that you succeed on your fan game.

Well when I put in the SoJ rips, you hadn't posted your sprites yet, so it was kind of a "well this is all I have to work with" situation. TBH I'd prefer to use your edits.

I actually did use a majority of the AAI and AAI2 soundtracks in my early early early extra-crappy version of the case, back in my first draft where the plot made no sense. But I decided against it, it didn't feel right really.

And huh...I tested it and it works fine for me, on both Chrome and Firefox. Plus the hosted link is public...I don't know what the problem is with the sound clip for you.

Oh right, this was a thing.

Hey I'm back. Did a full reinstallation of Windows so I wasn't here for a while.
Is there any chance I could have a look at the original music for the game? If they need any refinements, I can help you out.
~UltrawaveStudios~

To lurk, or not to lurk.

UltrawaveStudios wrote:
Hey I'm back. Did a full reinstallation of Windows so I wasn't here for a while.
Is there any chance I could have a look at the original music for the game? If they need any refinements, I can help you out.

Sure, I guess. When the holiday business has died down I can link the files.

Yabba Dabba Doo

One thing I've been wondering for a while: Where'd the court backgrounds come from? I've looked around and I can't find them anywhere.

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Thunder84 wrote:
One thing I've been wondering for a while: Where'd the court backgrounds come from? I've looked around and I can't find them anywhere.

SuperAj3 created/ripped/whatever'd it from Ace Attorney Investigations. It can be seen in the opening cutscene of Turnabout Reminiscence.
So just go and check their sprite page and you'll find them.

Yabba Dabba Doo

That's what I thought, but what about the judges seat/defense aide? IIRC those never appeared in I-4.

Happy Maria

They appear in I2-5

Yabba Dabba Doo

Southern Corn (SC) wrote:
They appear in I2-5

The front facing ones? I know that there's side views, but I don't remember there being a Phoenix Wright-esque viewpoint.

To lurk, or not to lurk.

Thunder84 wrote:
They appear in I2-5

The front facing ones? I know that there's side views, but I don't remember there being a Phoenix Wright-esque viewpoint.

The judge bench and defense aides are from Apollo Justice dude. XD

Yabba Dabba Doo

087-B wrote:
Thunder84 wrote:
They appear in I2-5

The judge bench and defense aides are from Apollo Justice dude. XD

Shit, really? I completely missed that. I was so confused lol.

To lurk, or not to lurk.

UPDATE:
Quick little bump update regarding progress. I took a break from the project for a while to focus on school, but I'll be getting back to work on it in my free time. Case 1 Part 2 won't be done for a bit, but thankfully I feel motivated to get right into it.

In the meantime, if anybody cares; I made a fancase for a project at school. A DGS fancase no less. I think I deserve an A+ for that. XP

In short; I'm gonna get back to work. :P
Re: PW: Abstract of Judgment (AoJ-1 Part 1 Out + UPDATE)Topic%20Title

Happy Maria

How did your teachers react?
Re: PW: Abstract of Judgment (AoJ-1 Part 1 Out + UPDATE)Topic%20Title

To lurk, or not to lurk.

How did your teachers react?

I don't know yet. I had a day off today due to snow and I submitted the game via email.
Page 2 of 2 [ 74 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Present Evidence » Games