Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 38 of 42[ 1674 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.987Topic%20Title

The one with many faces

I'm using the latest one, 0.987.

Seasoned Animator

Yeah, I noticed that too, when playing Trials after Justice's first case.

Certain sounds do crash the game that didn't happen in the previous version.
Like the creator of Final Fantasy, I'm better at telling a story.
If you need help animating Ace Attorney sprite sheets, I'm your man.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Project Justice - Co-developed with Hesseldahl
Case 1 - Nursing the Turnabout: Trial Former, Trial Latter

Brave souls equipped with android devices can now download PyWright for android:

http://pywright.dawnsoft.org/wordpress/ ... e/#android

Many known issues:
*no color tinting
*no 3d
*dual screen portrait view only
*very slow initial load
*saved games and cases wiped out if uninstalled
*cannot type into edit boxes
*android sometimes just kills the process for no reason... save often
*the back button automatically saves your game before backing out

It's also the latest version of the engine, which is light on features but should be much less crashy. I'll do a proper update for other platforms soon.

Before you ask... an iphone version would be cool but at this point it's still a question of if that would even be possible - not to mention the difficulty. So it won't be ready anytime in the near future. You can thank apple for that :P
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.987 (and android test)Topic%20Title

Dracarys!

For the next update, will you be looking at the scrolling issues while examining backgrounds that are larger than 256x192 pixels?

I believe that is fixed in this update yes. I haven't extensively tested it.

Dammmn, that Android version came out pretty quick after your return o.o

Nice one, saw the issue stuff at the google projects site, .989 gonna be a big improvement :)

Huddini wrote:
Dammmn, that Android version came out pretty quick after your return o.o

Nice one, saw the issue stuff at the google projects site, .989 gonna be a big improvement :)

Thanks! Honestly the android version was 90% done for a long while, I was just having trouble tracking down a bug in the latest build system. I kept trying it every once in a while and running into a wall. Once that wall came down it was pretty much smooth sailing.

Most of the stuff listed under .989 are things that I planned for .988 but punted on in order to get a release ready. Chances are, as .989 nears, a lot of those may be punted on to yet another later release... so don't get your hopes up too high! But the focus for 0.988 is bugs, so after that I would like to get more cool features in.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title

And 0.9880 is now pushed out to all channels.

Nice one Saluk, it's looking good.

I have a question. When you select a game from the Py menu, there is abit of a lag/pause before the game actually loads. Is PyWright loading assets and all that stuff up? Preloading? Or what?

Reason I ask, is because I think it'd be cool to have some progress bar, or even better for authors, have a verbose booting log, instead of the game just freezing up. If the game refuses to load, I don't just have to see one main error preventing it from loading; I can probably get a better idea of anything else that would cause conflict (such as missing files, files being refused to load for w/e reason, "skipped" files, etc.)

Unless there's a better way to go about this (or better way already done)

Are you not getting the "Loading /" screen? It should be rotating the / to show you that something is progressing. It's not quite a progress bar yet but that's kind of the idea.

It's not actually LOADING anything, but building a map of the filesystem to determine where to go to load things when it needs to. I do have a planned feature to cache this map, so that downloaded games that aren't being worked on will load faster. This is something I mainly had to add to the android version because all of the file checks were slowing the actual gameplay down quite a bit.

Yeah, bug if you can't see the loading text. Which system?

Your best bet for debugging stuff are the log files stored in the PyWright directory. They are really cluttered with junk right now that's not that helpful, but show most things and every error that happens during a run. Do you have a game that's refusing to load?

saluk wrote:
Are you not getting the "Loading /" screen? It should be rotating the / to show you that something is progressing. It's not quite a progress bar yet but that's kind of the idea.

It's not actually LOADING anything, but building a map of the filesystem to determine where to go to load things when it needs to. I do have a planned feature to cache this map, so that downloaded games that aren't being worked on will load faster. This is something I mainly had to add to the android version because all of the file checks were slowing the actual gameplay down quite a bit.

Yeah, bug if you can't see the loading text. Which system?

Your best bet for debugging stuff are the log files stored in the PyWright directory. They are really cluttered with junk right now that's not that helpful, but show most things and every error that happens during a run. Do you have a game that's refusing to load?

-Did you implement this partial loading indicator on the newest engine version? I'm on .987 currently, and while there is a pause/delay (it is very short, but just noticeable enough to note), I don't see any loading indicators anywhere. Windows 7 64-bit (and using Py .987).

-Alrighty, good to know!

-Oh yeah, I always forget about that xP. Yeah the log file will do exactly what I needed then. And nah, I don't have a game (anymore), but when I was testing some small scripts when attempting my AAO case's port awhile ago, I always ran into an error that prevented the demo from loading (an error that showed me the culprit causing the problem at line x in that pop-up window on the screen). I basically had to guess through trial and error how to fix the coding, due to the debug error not giving specific details on WHY there was an error at line x.
For other authors, the better the debugging, the less time is needed to track down an annoying gamebreaking bug you know? Still, the log file can compensate (maybe you can provide debugging "levels", like one for developers like yourself, another for authors? It should satisfy the problem you say about junk data?)

Ah yes. This loading screen is on 0.988 (which is out! try it!). 0.987 is 2 years old :)

The log file is mostly a case of me cleaning it up, but in the case you outline, that's always going to be an issue. Having a helpful error message involves knowing that the error is going to show up beforehand. We can always go in and detect more wrightscript errors (it's certainly not as helpful as it should be) - but in the end of the day, it will still be possible for someone to introduce an error that we never thought of before. The best we can do in that case is... show them roughly where the error is.

Dracarys!

One bug I just found:

I saved my game during a scene so that I could view multiple branches of dialogue. There was music playing from an earlier section. The first time, the coding used "music_fade_out," which worked as intended. However, upon reloading, the game was still treating the music as if it had faded out, even though the save file was from before that part.

Last edited by Ropfa on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previously Cardiovore

There's something I found too: When using the {$_last_written_text} command, there's now quite a large pause before the dialogue continues to the next line.
Phoenix Wright: The Contempt of Court
FULL GAME AVAILABLE

The one with many faces

@Cardiovore, I've caught that error. The fix will be coming in a few weeks.

The law is full of contradictions.

All I seem to be getting is an empty Zip file... :(
"Follow Your heart out of the darkness! Stand up and rise from the ashes! Back to the start, far from the madness. Come alive again! Break off the chains of hesitation! Your voice will be your salvation! Look to the light of liberation waiting at the end!"

Which download are you having trouble with? I just checked them all and they all are correct.

saluk wrote:
Which download are you having trouble with? I just checked them all and they all are correct.

http://pywright.dawnsoft.org/wordpress/downloadsengine/

This one. The Windows one...
"Follow Your heart out of the darkness! Stand up and rise from the ashes! Back to the start, far from the madness. Come alive again! Break off the chains of hesitation! Your voice will be your salvation! Look to the light of liberation waiting at the end!"

Did you give it another try? You may have something wrong with your network and it's not downloading the whole thing; or there may be an issue with your zip program. I use winrar to unzip files, and make sure the download is 19,682 KiloBytes or 19.2 MB in file->properties or it didn't download the entire file.

saluk wrote:
Did you give it another try? You may have something wrong with your network and it's not downloading the whole thing; or there may be an issue with your zip program. I use winrar to unzip files, and make sure the download is 19,682 KiloBytes or 19.2 MB in file->properties or it didn't download the entire file.

I just extract files. I don't know what you mean by unzipping files. All I know is the file is turning out 760 KB. :( This has never happend before...Most files download just fine... :apollo:

Very weird that you can't get the whole thing. "unzip" is just a term for extracting a file that is ".zip". Maybe you can get it from this dropbox link instead: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/204 ... 80.win.zip

Hopefully your browser isn't hijacked and internally getting redirected to download something malicious instead (!!!)

Kristoph's sprites are not working. It seems like they are reversed(the blinking sprite plays when the character speaks, and the talking sprite appears when the character isn't talking. Am I missing something here?

The Chartmeister

Hey quick question - I just found out about PyWright yesterday and I'm excited to give it a go. It took some trial and error to get the program to finally load but:
:udgey: How do i make it actually take up the whole of the window?

The one with many faces

Settings -> Change resolution

However, I don't recommend it as the graphics don't scale well.

Sir Duke III wrote:
Hey quick question - I just found out about PyWright yesterday and I'm excited to give it a go. It took some trial and error to get the program to finally load but:
:udgey: How do i make it actually take up the whole of the window?

Wow, that looks... wrong. You can try running it in fullscreen mode, it might run better that way (and then just set the scaled size appropriately).

What version of OSX is that? I only have a really old macbook to test on unfortunately.

Programmer

I wonder about something. There is a popular library/framework/whatever called renpy that is made in python. Why isn't PyWright based on that? I know that you are smart, so there is a reason why. I would like to hear this reason.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Well thank you for the nice compliment :) So rare to hear these on the internet hahaha.

The android version of PyWright actually uses a version of python that the renpy developer put together, so there is a bit of overlap. I think at one time someone had tried to make a phoenix wright mode for renpy as well. It does seem like a no brainer huh?

The story of the creation of PyWright is really simple. I was addicted to Phoenix Wright, had just finished Trials and Tribulations, and was sad that there were no more stories in that world to look forward to. I was stuck in a 10 hour car ride with my family after Christmas vacation armed with a laptop equipped with the only programming language I've ever been very good at, python. I thought, why don't I see if I can make my own stories in this world? I cobbled together some basic display and started thinking how I could model the logic, and well, there you go. I never really intended to make an engine that other people could use, but once I released it to see what people thought about it, my perspective was forever changed.

I think I would have approached things differently if I had set out to make an engine, although I still don't think I would have chosen renpy as a base. I really like building things, and sometimes it's more difficult for me to try and fit what I am building in with someone elses way of doing things; than to try and build it myself.

Sorry for the long delay on the next release. I need to get better at scheduling. I am going to review my tasks next weekend for a tentative release mid-july.

Dracarys!

So, I had a question that I was hoping somebody could answer for me.

Is it possible to arrange a sprite so that the "blink" animation does not pause, and instead loops constantly and fluidly? I believe the default sets it so that it will wait a few seconds between blinks.

In a case I'm making, I have a character who, in one of his animations, waves his arms up and down frantically, rather than blinking his eyes. However, he pauses after each motion for a few seconds, which breaks up the animation and leaves the blur lines on the screen. Is there some way I can do it so that he never pauses?

Previously Cardiovore

Ropfa wrote:
So, I had a question that I was hoping somebody could answer for me.

Is it possible to arrange a sprite so that the "blink" animation does not pause, and instead loops constantly and fluidly? I believe the default sets it so that it will wait a few seconds between blinks.

In a case I'm making, I have a character who, in one of his animations, waves his arms up and down frantically, rather than blinking his eyes. However, he pauses after each motion for a few seconds, which breaks up the animation and leaves the blur lines on the screen. Is there some way I can do it so that he never pauses?

Try adding "blinkmode loop" to the .txt file for the sprite.
Phoenix Wright: The Contempt of Court
FULL GAME AVAILABLE

Dracarys!

That fixed it. Thank you.

why is it whenever i try to convert this in pywright gif2strip converter it gives me "An error occurred while writing CGI reply" this has happened to other pics, but they were PNG, not GIF like this one.
the same goes for this one (if this isnt the right place then forget this post)
Difficult-looking legal books stand in a formidable row. They mock me. I tried reading one, and it made my head hurt. When I closed it, it slipped out of my hand. Then my foot hurt too. - Phoenix Wright

My fangame: Morgan Wright: Ace Attorney is right here: viewtopic.php?t=30205

Thanks for the report MrTailsluver. Fixed. Full details at the pywright.com forum post. Gist of it is gif processing is an art form. It's a terrible file format :P

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

Hey so I'm going to use PWLib for my thesis and I was wondering if you could make it work for Android or turn it into an .nds file?

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

Heh you posted in the wrong topic there buddy. This is PyWright not PWLIB :) PyWright indeed works on android. You have to download the apk and install it manually from http://www.pywright.com/wordpress/downloadsengine/ (I am dubious about putting it on the play store). PW-Lib (afaik) does not.

Neither will work on nds, as you have to code things very specifically for nds. There was an nds casemaker at some point if you want to search the forums for it, I don't remember how complete it was. How are you planning to develop your thesis? Good luck on it!

Dracarys!

Hey, I was just wondering when the next version of Pywright was expected. I remember you telling me that you had a bunch of stuff planned for it.

Speaking of the new version, any chances for this glitch to be fixed in the nearest future?

I'm not aware of the issue, can you describe what's going on or perhaps present a snippet of code that demonstrates it?

I had hoped to put out something this month but something came up. Maybe next month, it depends on how my schedule works out. All I need are a couple solid days with nothing else going on to push the last bit, but it hasn't happened.

Quote:
I'm not aware of the issue, can you describe what's going on

This bug occurs whenever penalty exceeds the amount of healthbar left.

Example: Let's assume that the ''default'' penalty in our game is set to 20% of lifebar.
During the trial, the player screwed up four times and now the protagonist has only 20% of healthbar left. It's the final cross-examination and the prosecution proposes to increase the severity of penalty to 50%. In that case, 50% of whole 80px-wide healthbar flashes and thus goes beyond the frame.

I hope I explained it well. I noticed this bug in several fancases made by different authors, so it's an engine issue rather than bad coding (maybe I'm wrong here).

The one with many faces

It's bad coding. I've gotten around this problem by doing some coding gymnastics. You need to assign actual variables to the cost, threat, and the player's HP (the first two, really). If the penalty threat is above the player's HP, then you need to set the threat equal to the player's HP before flashing the health bar. Then, you need to set the cost equal to the negative absolute value of the player's HP.

So for example, if the final CE is worth 100% penalty (Luke Atmey, lol), and the player's HP is at 40%, then the threat has to equal 40% and the cost equal to -40%.
Page 38 of 42 [ 1674 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Games