Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 40 of 42[ 1657 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 


Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:36 pm

Posts: 769

So yes, quick summary. My box was seriously compromised (it was sending spam and my host was going to cancel my account) and I shot it in the head; I thought I had more backed up than I actually did. I didn't lose any of the essential pywright files themselves, but I lost all of the content from the wordpress instance, as well as a lot of the software and configuration files to make it easier to set things up again. I've got a barebones html page up now that has links to most of the files that existed, obviously the games were really outdated.

Gif2strip is missing, and it was actually quite insecure and may have been how the old box was compromised :will: I probably will not host this again. I'll definitely give you guys access to the script that did this, it might be easier to run locally anyway.

I don't really have the bandwidth to carry this forward much longer, the software is for the most part abandoned (by me) at this point. If anyone wants to take over and lead development I would support that. I know I've been too slow incorporating changes others have made in the past. There has always been a bit of friction with the enjoyment I had of creating my own engine according to what was fun for me to work on, and designing something that worked for the community and incorporating feedback. Definitely a fun challenge for a time though!

Anyway, I'm not gone gone forever yet, so don't be afraid to drop me a line if you need me. It's just pretty clear with my full time job and everything else going on in my life that I can't hope to do this project (apollo) justice any longer.
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

A user has no custom title

Gender: Male

Location: Everywhere simultaneously

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm

Posts: 1150

saluk wrote:
I probably will not host this again.


NOOOOOOOOOOOOO--

saluk wrote:
I'll definitely give you guys access to the script that did this, it might be easier to run locally anyway.


Oh, okay. Never mind.

I can't help you with any of the website issues, but I can try to help with the Pywright program itself. I've been trying to learn Python myself and I know there are a few other coders in the AA community. Not sure if I'm the best person for the job, but I can try and fill it temporarily, at least until we can find somebody more fluent in Python. You might even consider making this a community project, where there are several people updating it and providing support.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:23 am

Posts: 100

I'm having a little trouble. I'm testing out a case I'm making, but every now and then, I receive an error message saying there's something undefined in the script I'm playing through. When I go to check where it says there's something undefined, I find nothing out of order. Has anyone had this issue before?
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

What fun is there in making sense?

Gender: Male

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:00 pm

Posts: 5

So what's gonna happen with Gif2Strip? Its a very useful tool and i'd hate to see it go.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:36 pm

Posts: 769

Just packaged up gif2strip. It is a python script you can download and run. You'll have to install python and pygame, and run it from the command line.

http://www.pywright.com/gif2strip.zip

Let me know if you have trouble, but this is actually better than the web version. You can process entire folders of gifs at once.
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The one with many faces

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Posts: 132

Yay! It's back. The local gif2strip is a very welcome addition here.

I think PyWright should become a community effort. That way we can implement changes to improve upon the engine much faster. Definitely need someone else who is more fluent in Python than either Ropfa or I, and I'm barely literate in Py.
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Totally-Not-Miley Omelia Tigre

Gender: Male

Location: Hoboken, NJ

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Posts: 120

Does anyone know how to run a Python script online? I could remake it and put it on my GeoCities.

jmkrebs30 wrote:
I'm having a little trouble. I'm testing out a case I'm making, but every now and then, I receive an error message saying there's something undefined in the script I'm playing through. When I go to check where it says there's something undefined, I find nothing out of order. Has anyone had this issue before?


Undefined at line 0, right? This is annoying and has anyone been able to fix it?
*insert weird signature here*
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:23 am

Posts: 100

Fellowzdoomer wrote:
Does anyone know how to run a Python script online? I could remake it and put it on my GeoCities.

jmkrebs30 wrote:
I'm having a little trouble. I'm testing out a case I'm making, but every now and then, I receive an error message saying there's something undefined in the script I'm playing through. When I go to check where it says there's something undefined, I find nothing out of order. Has anyone had this issue before?


Undefined at line 0, right? This is annoying and has anyone been able to fix it?


It happens at random areas. It's really bothering me.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:36 pm

Posts: 769

Undefined on line 0 is not talking about your script having an issue on line 0, but that pywright had trouble loading the script file itself for some reason. (Or that there is some other weird thing going on.) You could be saving your scripts in a weird format (script files should be saved as utf8 if you use unicode characters, or iso-latin otherwise. Really, just use utf8 for everything to be save)

Try removing lines in your script until it works, (i.e., delete the second half of the script and see if the first half still works, delete half again etc) to see if you can narrow down where it's having a problem. When interpreting a script file, pywright first loads and parses the entire script at once, to try and understand everything. If there is a weird character in there, it's going to crash.

Protip - never use wordpad to edit scripts, it can insert bad characters in there. Use either notepad, or a fancier programmers script editor (notepad++, scite, textmate, pick your poison). I suspect this might be the problem, just a hunch.
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:23 am

Posts: 100

saluk wrote:
Undefined on line 0 is not talking about your script having an issue on line 0, but that pywright had trouble loading the script file itself for some reason. (Or that there is some other weird thing going on.) You could be saving your scripts in a weird format (script files should be saved as utf8 if you use unicode characters, or iso-latin otherwise. Really, just use utf8 for everything to be save)

Try removing lines in your script until it works, (i.e., delete the second half of the script and see if the first half still works, delete half again etc) to see if you can narrow down where it's having a problem. When interpreting a script file, pywright first loads and parses the entire script at once, to try and understand everything. If there is a weird character in there, it's going to crash.

Protip - never use wordpad to edit scripts, it can insert bad characters in there. Use either notepad, or a fancier programmers script editor (notepad++, scite, textmate, pick your poison). I suspect this might be the problem, just a hunch.


No, that's not it. The script is loading fine, but whenever I go through particular parts of the script I'm on, it gives me those undefined errors with the line number it says it's at, but when I open the script, I find nothing out of order where the error message says it's at.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The one with many faces

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Posts: 132

I wouldn't rely on the line number. I get those errors, too, but it's usually a matter of looking at the code very carefully at where exactly it gives an error. Lemme ask you: are you using macros?
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:36 pm

Posts: 769

Not sure what it is then. But undefined usually means it's a class of error that pywright doesn't actually know about (the error is happening in some random place in the engine).

Keep trying to narrow down where the actual code that is causing it is. Take lines away until the error stops appearing. Or, post the script and maybe I or someone else can look into it more specifically.
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Totally-Not-Miley Omelia Tigre

Gender: Male

Location: Hoboken, NJ

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Posts: 120

I have a question. In the fangame, Trials after Justice, the case selection has different backgrounds. How do you do this? The author did a great job hiding the file :-)
*insert weird signature here*
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

A user has no custom title

Gender: Male

Location: Everywhere simultaneously

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm

Posts: 1150

So... Could somebody please give me a walkthrough on how to get Gif2strip to work on a Mac?
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:36 pm

Posts: 769

I never set it up to work on a mac. You'll have to access a linux or windows computer (or send your files to someone who can) to use it for now.
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The one with many faces

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Posts: 132

Saluk, your coding for gif2strip isn't working for me, and it's probably bc I'm using py3.3. Apparently when you do
Code:
print X

X needs to be put in parentheses.

I'm getting these errors when trying to run via command prompt on windows. I have yet to see it work probably bc I need to install pygame but we'll see.
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title

Blah!

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Posts: 1010

Python 3.x is incompatible with Python 2.x. Both can be installed simultaneously, however, so I'd suggest installing the latest Python 2.x and try using that. I don't know for sure if PyWright uses Python 2.x, but that's what this looks like to me.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The one with many faces

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Posts: 132

blahmoomoo wrote:
Python 3.x is incompatible with Python 2.x. Both can be installed simultaneously, however, so I'd suggest installing the latest Python 2.x and try using that. I don't know for sure if PyWright uses Python 2.x, but that's what this looks like to me.

You might be right on that. I've been forced to install 3.4 just so I can get pip to install correctly (it comes with it out of the box so I don't have to bother with manual installation), so that I can install some stuff hopefully to make gif2strip to work.
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The one with many faces

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Posts: 132

Okay, trying to get it to work. Runs on py 2.7.10. However, every time I try to convert, I keep getting IndexError list index out of range. I'm trying to figure out the source of this error, but I'm not having any luck. Like I said, I'm barely literate in Python, so anyone have an idea for what the source is? It's always happening on line 97 if anyone is asking.
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:23 am

Posts: 100

Does anyone know how to work the gif2strip program? I can't do diddly with it. :larry:
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin

Gender: Male

Location: Khura'in

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:11 am

Posts: 1263

Just run the script from the command prompt, then paste the path of the file you want converted or the folder to convert multiple.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

It's elementary, my dear Wright.

Gender: Male

Location: In your closet

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:01 am

Posts: 35

I have an idea on how you can recover your webpage. There's a website called Internet Archive: The Wayback Machine that stores webpages into a sort of archive and allows you to access them. I'm not sure if you can recover files through this process, but I think it might help it restoring the website.
https://archive.org/web/
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:23 am

Posts: 100

I'm following the directions, but I can't get to the point where it asks me which files I want to convert. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Totally-Not-Miley Omelia Tigre

Gender: Male

Location: Hoboken, NJ

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Posts: 120

DarwinThe100 wrote:
I have an idea on how you can recover your webpage. There's a website called Internet Archive: The Wayback Machine that stores webpages into a sort of archive and allows you to access them. I'm not sure if you can recover files through this process, but I think it might help it restoring the website.
https://archive.org/web/


The defense presents the program into question.

:takethat:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140225081 ... /index.cgi

Edit: it sends me back the GIF, but good to know its still up and kicking.
*insert weird signature here*
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

It's elementary, my dear Wright.

Gender: Male

Location: In your closet

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:01 am

Posts: 35

Weird. When I do it, it sends me the .cgi file.
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:23 am

Posts: 100

It did the same for me too.

I think gif2strip should be its own program without having to use cmd. Just a thought.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The one with many faces

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Posts: 132

Blizdi wrote:
Just run the script from the command prompt, then paste the path of the file you want converted or the folder to convert multiple.



I'm doing exactly that. cmd and through py. And it's not working correctly. See my post.
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin

Gender: Male

Location: Khura'in

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:11 am

Posts: 1263

E.D.Revolution wrote:
Blizdi wrote:
Just run the script from the command prompt, then paste the path of the file you want converted or the folder to convert multiple.



I'm doing exactly that. cmd and through py. And it's not working correctly. See my post.

Do you want me to do it for you? Just pm me the gifs
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The one with many faces

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Posts: 132

Blizdi wrote:
E.D.Revolution wrote:
Blizdi wrote:
Just run the script from the command prompt, then paste the path of the file you want converted or the folder to convert multiple.



I'm doing exactly that. cmd and through py. And it's not working correctly. See my post.

Do you want me to do it for you? Just pm me the gifs


That won't be necessary. I can do the old school method. Or the alternate method. I just want the app to work.
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Totally-Not-Miley Omelia Tigre

Gender: Male

Location: Hoboken, NJ

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Posts: 120

Fellowzdoomer wrote:
I have a question. In the fangame, Trials after Justice, the case selection has different backgrounds. How do you do this? The author did a great job hiding the file :-)


Repeating the question just in case anybody forgot.
*insert weird signature here*
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Posts: 263

Fellowzdoomer wrote:
Fellowzdoomer wrote:
I have a question. In the fangame, Trials after Justice, the case selection has different backgrounds. How do you do this? The author did a great job hiding the file :-)


Repeating the question just in case anybody forgot.


By different backgrounds you mean case arts, right?
You need to place a file called "case_screen.txt" inside of each of your cases.
In this script, all you have to do is write "bg" and the name of your caseart:

Code:
bg yourcaseart

When selected on the case menu, this script will be executed, allowing you to have custom backgrounds for each case.
In theory, according to PyWright documentation, by using the exportvars/importvars, it should be possible to show a different background when the case is completed, but I didn't test it.
I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet. — Stanisław Lem
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Totally-Not-Miley Omelia Tigre

Gender: Male

Location: Hoboken, NJ

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Posts: 120

Ah, gotcha. Thanks very much!
*insert weird signature here*
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The one with many faces

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Posts: 132

Darth Wiader wrote:
In theory, according to PyWright documentation, by using the exportvars/importvars, it should be possible to show a different background when the case is completed, but I didn't test it.


I've gotten this to work using those methods.
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:23 am

Posts: 100

Hey, does anyone know how to change the checkmark image for just one item on a list. I need it to set up a locked topic for psyche-locks. I know how to change it, but it just changes all the checkmarks to the locked image. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

A user has no custom title

Gender: Male

Location: Everywhere simultaneously

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm

Posts: 1150

jmkrebs30 wrote:
Hey, does anyone know how to change the checkmark image for just one item on a list. I need it to set up a locked topic for psyche-locks. I know how to change it, but it just changes all the checkmarks to the locked image. Any help would be appreciated.


I'd like to know this too. I can try and dig around in the Pywright coding later when I have some free time to find out.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The one with many faces

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Posts: 132

By the looks of things, only on version 0.989. DW tested it on his but it ain't working. I've gotten it to work from an example code.
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title

AAO Moderator, Resident Trial Reviewer

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Posts: 3

E.D.Revolution wrote:
Blizdi wrote:
E.D.Revolution wrote:
I'm doing exactly that. cmd and through py. And it's not working correctly. See my post.

Do you want me to do it for you? Just pm me the gifs


That won't be necessary. I can do the old school method. Or the alternate method. I just want the app to work.


I took a look at this issue earlier. Unfortunately, the program needs some fixing before it's usable on a Mac, and I have no clue how it fares on Linux. If you're using Windows, though, the program can be made operable. In the gif2strip folder, create the directory gifsicle_1.60_windows, create the bin directory inside that, and put gifsicle.exe inside that, and you'll have it working.
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Gender: Male

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Posts: 923

Does anyone have a mirror for the music pack? I tried to download it from the official source, but the .rar is broken.
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The one with many faces

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Posts: 132

Not home to check but have you tried downloading py and then the music packs on the app? If that doesn't work, I gotta contact saluk.
Image
Re: PyWright Case Engine ver 0.9880! (Finally)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Gender: Male

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Posts: 923

I'm assuming you go to updates, then click "update pywright?" Because it just seems to hang on fetching data from server if that's the case.

I'm on Windows if it makes a difference.
Image
Page 40 of 42 [ 1657 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO