Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 5 posts ]

What themes could be covered from here? *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*Topic%20Title

Idol of Polar Bears

Due to the nature of story-based/adventure games, there is a very high probability that spoilers will be present in this topic so let's keep things wrapped in tags for the time being; at least until the AAI spoiler warning is lifted.

If you haven't noticed yet, every Ace Attorney game has dealt with a theme, moral, or idea that almost every case in the respective game is related to in some way.

Spoiler: AA1
Defending the innocent, echoing the traditional "protect the good from the bad" theme that's been around since Beowulf was still wearing diapers.

Spoiler: AA2
The very real possibility of defending a guilty party which has, thankfully, not been abused since Farewell, My Turnabout (and is also the series' most applaudible ode to realism) and truth, which is such a universal theme in our own world that it's impossible to ignore as the most influential thing in the series.

Spoiler: AA3
Game #3: More intimate themes involving internal and external factors that cause us to do God-knows-what to ourselves and other people, the consequences of looking away from the truth, and what defines our character.

*I'd like to note that all the major themes from the first three games are present in Rise From The Ashes.*

Spoiler: AA4
The limitations of the law's ability to exact justice and truth (evidenced by how Daryan and Kristoph came within a lizard's hair of passing under the radar), the ripple effect of compromising the truth and the wide spread damage it can cause, how the judicial system is constantly subject to change like all of the sciences, and darkness in the purest sense - a cold, tenebrous, unfeeling beast that smothers everything in it's path without a glance.

Spoiler: AA5
The invisible war between law and lawlessness (e.g. Interpol and criminal organizations), the inherently shady nature of huge criminal rings, going above regulations and beyond the call of duty to put an end to injustice (e.g. the Yatagarasu) and every citizen performing his or responsibility of preventing crime (e.g. Akbey and Cece, Larry and Oldbag).

With so much covered, what other themes could these games possibly explore?

Spoiler: Possibly all games
I think the most likely subjects to cover next would be control and powerlessness (which is sort of what AAI was hinting at with how Alba exerted such a callous, iron-fisted grip on his cronies) or terrorism, which is more likely to happen now than ever before, especially since no one has to actually die to create a state of fear and panic. In fact, the latter theme carries the possibility of changing the design of Ace Attorney games. Instead of being based around various degrees of murder, the focus could be on preventing innocents from dying which would shift the responsibility of their deaths (and preventing them) on to the player instead of a related third-party.

Are there any themes you'd like to see explored in future Ace Attorney games? Anything you think the series could refine or elaborate on?
Re: What themes could be covered from here? *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*Topic%20Title

(Sp)ace Detective

Couple of others in the existing games:

Spoiler: PW1, PW2
The use of immoral measures in the name of a cause (Demon Prosecutor Edgeworth going after criminals, possibly also applies to Franziska)

Spoiler: PW2
"Is the life of a close friend worth more than the life of someone I don't know?" Also self-sacrifice for the sake of justice.

Themes/ideas I'd like to see?
Spoiler:
The ability of the common person to protect themselves from crime, rather than depending on the authorities. In particular, I'd like to see self-defense being depicted as something other than "OMG you killed someone" (this was kind of present in 1-3, but Vasquez wasn't exactly depicted as a good guy). Also, the sidekick should be able to look out for herself rather than the hero being the one who saves her every single time.
Perhaps more instances of a positively depicted character (i.e. not a villain) having to choose between self-interest and justice (Phoenix in 2-4, Machi in 4-3)

Read my fic(s)!
Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:
We have no dreams at all or interesting ones. We should learn to be awake the same way — not at all or in an interesting manner.

I want to see Franziska experience more personal growth away from her father's ideals the way we've seen Edgeworth do. I'd like to see her talk with Edgeworth about how maybe it's best for the von Karma legacy to be forgotten since Manfred based his career on a false image of perfection. She could realize that she has the potential to dissociate herself from him and make her family name stand for something honorable.

Mipeltaja = the real badass

Location: That one place. No, not that place, the other place.

moonfall wrote:
I want to see Franziska experience more personal growth away from her father's ideals the way we've seen Edgeworth do. I'd like to see her talk with Edgeworth about how maybe it's best for the von Karma legacy to be forgotten since Manfred based his career on a false image of perfection. She could realize that she has the potential to dissociate herself from him and make her family name stand for something honorable.

I'd like to see this happen in one of two ways. (or both)

1) Franziska goes through this story arc in her own Ace Attorney Investigations game.

2) Franziska takes a level in badass and comes back as the final boss prosecutor in Apollo Justice 2, and she's a completely different person. She still has some of the same personality quirks like taking everything way too seriously and having a huge ego, but she doesn't whip everybody anymore (maybe still carries it around for old times' sake, and whips the desk to make a point, but doesn't whip people) and she's not dedicated to winning at all costs.
Spoiler: hopefully not
Also, her name is Franziska Butz now.

Billie Jean is not my lover.

I want to see some cases where the law and morality don't match up. For example in 4-3 but if Daryan had actually been trying to save the child rather than trying to STRIKE A BLOW AGAINST THE EVIL OPPRESIVE REPUBLIC OF BORGINIA just get money. Or maybe one where your client kills someone who's truly evil, like maybe a mass murderer where nothing could ever be proved. Kinda like forging evidence in 1-5, only explored more.

I also want to see things like how far you can go to find the truth. If Edgeworth, the biggest preacher in the series, had to choose between finding the truth behind a murder and somebody close to him dying (like Phoenix in 2-4) I'd like to see what he'd do.

The theme of a child sheltered from the world as well as a child extremely dependent on a deceased/lost parent keeps on popping up. Pearl, Vera, Regina...

The theme of suicide is also quite a common one - Adrian and Celeste in JFA, Terry Fawles, and Magnifi. Godot's speech at the end of T&T had some undertones of it as well, to me - No-one was waiting for him; he had nothing left to live for... save for two things. I'd like to see a scenario where a guilt-ridden killer commits suicide and explore the moral dilemmas behind that.

Oh, and I really loved the themes explored in 2-2 - identity, and trying to escape your guilt.
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby