Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby

Page 2 of 3[ 90 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: Anyone else think the "Final Battle" was fairly lackluster?Topic%20Title

It was better than the final confrotation in AJ. The last piece of evidence the player presents is the yellow letter. After that, it was just one big giant cut scene.

machinimator

Let's do a zombie analogy. Those work for most things. Even political campaigns.

When fighting a zombie, it doesn't feel as awesome to cut off its limbs one by one as it lumbers down to the ground moaning. As Tony Stark said, "I prefer the weapon you only have to fire ONCE." ie, blowing off its head with one shotgun blast.

And yes, Prime, it was DEFINITELY better than the AJ confrontation. I hated that one; it was PHOENIX doing the fighting, not you. Anyway, let's not get off-topic.
I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

I also find the AJ confrontation different in that Apollo hit Kristoph with every piece of evidence he had before revealing the jurist system to Kristoph. Alba knew that his extraterritorial rights were negated before Edgeworth hit him with all the evidence he had. That was bad for Alba, but who could forget that there was a jury in AJ's last case?

Mipeltaja = the real badass

Location: That one place. No, not that place, the other place.

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
If that's not a satisfactory end to Ace Attorney's most powerful and cunning villain to date, I don't know what is.

I couldn't really put words to it beforehand, but I realize now why I didn't like the final confrontation.

It's because Alba wasn't cunning. He was powerful, sure, but the thing about powerful people is that they don't have to be cunning. It's a lazy out for the writers when you can present the best evidence in the world and the guy is all, "Oh, I have to catch my plane." That's not cunning. Cunning is counter-arguments, or setting traps, or pre-meditating a crime so much that you have alibis for your alibis. Luke Atmey framed himself for a minor crime at the same time he was murdering a dude. Luke Atmey is cunning. Manfred von Karma planned a murder AND a frame job 15 years in the making. Manfred is cunning. Damon Gant murdered a dude and used his death to frame a little girl and force her older sister to commit crimes for him. Damon Gant is cumming. Jacques Portsman planted evidence implicating Gumshoe on the scene, and before he even committed the crime, he set up evidence that cast doubt on Maggey Byrde. Jacques fucking Portsman is a Case 1 villain, and even he is a little bit cunning. Quercus Alba murdered a dude, and now he has to be somewhere else. That isn't very cunning.

Everybody else fought back, but Alba just tries (and fails) to walk away over and over. If he put up even a little bit of a fight, nailing him would be so much more satisfying. (That's a really bad sentence to take out of context right there.)
Billie Jean is not my lover.

The cape is self-fluttering

Icarus wrote:
Damon Gant murdered a dude and used his death to frame a little girl and force her older sister to commit crimes for him. Damon Gant is cumming.

He sure is, Icarus. He sure is.

Rumor has it, if you don't duck while he's laying the groundwork for his schemes, you'll go blind.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Mipeltaja = the real badass

Location: That one place. No, not that place, the other place.

D:

M is right next to the N on the keyboard.

D:
Billie Jean is not my lover.

DOOF

Icarus wrote:
Damon Gant murdered a dude and used his death to frame a little girl and force her older sister to commit crimes for him. Damon Gant is cumming.

:beef:
.....Makes sense. M is right mext to N on the keyboard, after all. (Error intended.)

Frozen hell

Spoiler: Case 5
Ehh, I really didn't mind it. I mean, it did drag out, but that was just because Alba is a stubborn old arrogant son of a gun. But it did start to get annoying with the random "HOLD IT"s , and I had trouble taking it seriously with Oldbag there.

Pal!

Yeah, not one of the more satifying final battles. Thinking about it a little, I figure my favourites so far have been the denouments of T&T and AJ. You really felt like you had to WORK to get your happy endings in those two games.

I didn't like the final battle either. I was in the train from Florence to Pisa on my vacation and that takes a while, but it just didn't end and I had to wait until we were back on the campsite before I was finally able to finish the game. I was actually yelling in the train: "GEEEEEEZ JUST GIVE UP ALREADY YOU OLD TREE!" And a couple of times, I said to my friends: "Ah, I think I've finally got him now," and they were like: "You've said that already one hour ago..." Me: "Yes but now it's really true - NO, he's doing it AGAIN!"

Conclusion: it took to long without really getting somewhere, and the game got implausible because of some pieces of evidence (the samurai dog; you really want me to believe that spatter of blood ended up right in that circle?).

It was a shame to me, because I absolutely loved the rest of the game. But capturing Yew was way better than finally locking up Alba.

Pal!

I think the main problem is that he keeps it going not by being smart (y'know, by presenting evidence of his own, disproving yours, finding witnesses to vouvh for him), but just by being stubborn. Just repeatedly saying, "Nah, that's not good enough," when it's clear that you've proved the case to pretty much everyone there, just gets frustrating. Still, apart from the confrontation with him, I did enjoy the last case.

Temple wrote:
I think the main problem is that he keeps it going not by being smart (y'know, by presenting evidence of his own, disproving yours, finding witnesses to vouvh for him), but just by being stubborn. Just repeatedly saying, "Nah, that's not good enough," when it's clear that you've proved the case to pretty much everyone there, just gets frustrating. Still, apart from the confrontation with him, I did enjoy the last case.

I think you´re right there. Other characters were also stubborn, but at least they made a point and were smart enough to partly disprove you. Alba just wasn´t, everyone around already knew that no one but him did it.

A.K.A Very Melon

"This evidence proves that you did it!" "But can you prove HOW I did it?" "This evidence proves HOW you did it!" "...But you don't have evidence WHEN I could have done it!" "This proves WHEN you did it!" "...................... I DON'T HAVE A MOTIVE!" "YES YOU DOOOO"

-SS
Spoiler: StepMania vids

I think this comic sums up the last case well...
Spoiler:
http://hiimdaisy.livejournal.com/27172.html#cutid1 look at the second comic

A.K.A Very Melon

Myles Orly wrote:
Spoiler:

XDDD I laughed so hard...

-SS
Spoiler: StepMania vids

Woe is the World...

Myles Orly wrote:
Spoiler:

That comic is WIN.
I'm gonna be a blitzball when I grow up!

Wikia Ace Attorney Wiki admin

For some context, I consider the first three final cases (1-4, 2-4, 3-5) about equal, 4-4 significantly worse, and 1-5 and i-5 close but not quite as good as the first three.

Spoiler: everything
I think the writers forgot or misunderstood what people like about the final cases.

The first of these, Turnabout Goodbyes, has two main factors that (for the sake of argument) makes it so good. The first is that you face off against Manfred von Karma, the 40-year perfect record "god" of prosecutors, and you bring him down to the level of a petty killer. The second is that, despite picking apart a "simple" case, the truth turns out to be pretty straightforward as well. The writers have done a good job over the years of building up "charismatic" and "powerful" villains like Shelly de Killer, Kristoph Gavin, Damon Gant and Quercus Alba, fulfilling the former in nearly every game. And yes, some do get repeatedly drawn by the opportunity to cut characters like that down to size (funny how "Bridge to the Failure Turnabout", as someone put it, happens to be the one exception to this), and this isn't a bad thing.

However, I believe that the latter has been lost. The process of the murder and the aftermath gets more elaborate and complicated with each final case. In Bridge to the Turnabout, a whole fuss is made about cleaning up the snow, swinging the body across a river, stabbing the body again with a different weapon, and having a whole other backstory about Dahlia and Morgan on top of that. Rise from the Ashes is eerily similar in this regard. Then there's Turnabout Succession, which has THREE backstories to deal with, and on top of that Kristoph is incredibly paranoid and leaves poison, stalks people, etc. And finally there's THIS CASE. I was honestly shocked at how long I'd made the Quercus Alba article on the wiki, just to account for everything he did in Turnabout Ablaze. Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, either, and arguably it helps when it comes to making the villains seem more "cunning". But now it's gotten to the point where it's hard to care about the many complications of the case.

Final cases have become too convoluted. Final cases used to be intuitive and simple. Final cases used to be elegant. Final cases used to be - as Manfred put it - perfect. Now, the crime is an obnoxious mess of hasty patches, fixes and safeguards that sometimes even contradict themselves. I tried to care about the process of the crime, but it's hard to do that when the testimony reads like Redd White + repetitive filler stuff. The writers need to stop making overly complicated cases caused by "Matt Engarde on Crack v. 2.26" and instead have developed characters who dictate how you react to what they've done. Manfred von Karma doesn't really do anything compared to the later final villains, and yet as soon as he says "it was destiny" it hits you that every character who exists and will exist in this series felt and will feel that bullet. Similarly, Godot has only a partial role in all the crap that led to his kill, but his long speech at the end says everything that he needs to make it believable and real. The writers need to bring that magic back into the series.

/人◕‿‿◕人\

On the other hand, pretty much all the cases in the AA series are convoluted messes. How hard was getting your head around 2-2? I actually found 3-5 much easier than, say, 3-3. I think that the writers have lost something with the making of GK and its final case, but for me it's something different.

What really makes the final case of an AA game so epic for me is the emotional intensity. It's the final case, for goodness' sake! But GK case 5 felt far too cold and clinical and not emotional enough. :3
~Fanfiction~
"No. Men should die for lies. But the truth is too precious to die for."
-Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

It's Gyakuten Kenji, not Keiji!

capefeather wrote:
For some context, I consider the first three final cases (1-4, 2-4, 3-5) about equal, 4-4 significantly worse, and 1-5 and i-5 close but not quite as good as the first three.

Spoiler: everything
I think the writers forgot or misunderstood what people like about the final cases.

The first of these, Turnabout Goodbyes, has two main factors that (for the sake of argument) makes it so good. The first is that you face off against Manfred von Karma, the 40-year perfect record "god" of prosecutors, and you bring him down to the level of a petty killer. The second is that, despite picking apart a "simple" case, the truth turns out to be pretty straightforward as well. The writers have done a good job over the years of building up "charismatic" and "powerful" villains like Shelly de Killer, Kristoph Gavin, Damon Gant and Quercus Alba, fulfilling the former in nearly every game. And yes, some do get repeatedly drawn by the opportunity to cut characters like that down to size (funny how "Bridge to the Failure Turnabout", as someone put it, happens to be the one exception to this), and this isn't a bad thing.

However, I believe that the latter has been lost. The process of the murder and the aftermath gets more elaborate and complicated with each final case. In Bridge to the Turnabout, a whole fuss is made about cleaning up the snow, swinging the body across a river, stabbing the body again with a different weapon, and having a whole other backstory about Dahlia and Morgan on top of that. Rise from the Ashes is eerily similar in this regard. Then there's Turnabout Succession, which has THREE backstories to deal with, and on top of that Kristoph is incredibly paranoid and leaves poison, stalks people, etc. And finally there's THIS CASE. I was honestly shocked at how long I'd made the Quercus Alba article on the wiki, just to account for everything he did in Turnabout Ablaze. Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, either, and arguably it helps when it comes to making the villains seem more "cunning". But now it's gotten to the point where it's hard to care about the many complications of the case.

Final cases have become too convoluted. Final cases used to be intuitive and simple. Final cases used to be elegant. Final cases used to be - as Manfred put it - perfect. Now, the crime is an obnoxious mess of hasty patches, fixes and safeguards that sometimes even contradict themselves. I tried to care about the process of the crime, but it's hard to do that when the testimony reads like Redd White + repetitive filler stuff. The writers need to stop making overly complicated cases caused by "Matt Engarde on Crack v. 2.26" and instead have developed characters who dictate how you react to what they've done. Manfred von Karma doesn't really do anything compared to the later final villains, and yet as soon as he says "it was destiny" it hits you that every character who exists and will exist in this series felt and will feel that bullet. Similarly, Godot has only a partial role in all the crap that led to his kill, but his long speech at the end says everything that he needs to make it believable and real. The writers need to bring that magic back into the series.

I suppose you are right. Seeing how much people felt the same way, this is very likely. I hope that they'll make GS5 as interesting as GS1-3, till the very end.
I actually didn't mind Alba that much. I was just glad that he didn't let this game finish, no matter what he said. He was also hilarious. Boy, I enjoyed the scene.

Seeing it as it is

Hikari wrote:
What really makes the final case of an AA game so epic for me is the emotional intensity. It's the final case, for goodness' sake! But GK case 5 felt far too cold and clinical and not emotional enough. :3

Suddenly, I remember how everybody at the end was all, "Happy Ending, yay!" and not, "Why did s/he do that!? D: And what can I do to move on/make up for the things I've lost!?"
Irving wrote:
Don't push my buttons, Buttons!

Spoiler:
It isn't so much the "difficulty" of the cases. In terms of being convoluted, I'd argue that the non-final cases are all roughly the same. I was talking about the final cases and only really mentioned 3-5 to demonstrate the progression.

But actually, I would also argue that the convoluted nature of Alba's crime contributed to the "cold" and "clinical" nature of the case. There was simply no time to establish a believable motive or a deep character because Alba was too busy protecting himself and being a generic crime lord. Of course, the writers could easily have made time if they hadn't shoved Oldbag and Larry in there like stage props, and instead extended the testimony in even a slightly different way.

Robo-Aly

The best part was when his position as ambassador was revoked.

Other than that, it was kind of meh. It was really long and I didn't really feel like I did all that much. It was definitely less intense than previous final battles.

(Sp)ace Detective

capefeather wrote:
Spoiler:
But actually, I would also argue that the convoluted nature of Alba's crime contributed to the "cold" and "clinical" nature of the case. There was simply no time to establish a believable motive or a deep character because Alba was too busy protecting himself and being a generic crime lord.

I didn't think the lack of motive and character was really an issue in Alba's case, though. When you get down to it, Engarde, Dahlia and Kristoph were all cookie-cutter sociopaths hiding under a nice-person veneer.

Besides what Icarus and capefeather already mentioned, the things that sapped the epicness of the final case for me were:

:phoenix: Yew stealing Alba's thunder. Yew had the two key ingredients of previous AA villains*: direct involvement in the backstory or previous cases, and connection to the main character, sidekick, and/or mentor figure; Alba had neither. He was the evil mastermind, sure, but everything he did (as far as the player is concerned) was something that happened to "other" people (counterfeit currency in a distant country, valuable treasures being moved around, his underlings occasionally killing someone in order to protect themselves).
Additionally, the events immediately following Yew being found the guilty party were dramatic and riveting, and tied up important plot threads. Alba's? Not so much.
*There are exceptions, to be sure: Engarde had no previous connection with the story but made up for it in other ways, while Kristoph was fairly meh despite the extensive backstory involvement.

:edgeworth: Edgeworth is going "oh God I can't beat this guy" every six seconds, right up until the jolting turnabout (heh) at the very end. It's actually the way it should be at the start of the battle, but it really should have ended once Lang made his dramatic entry to declare Alba's diplomatic immunity revoked (what better turning point than that moment?).
After that point, Edgeworth should have been the inspired, confident leader, getting to the truth no matter how hard it gets. That way, Alba might have come across as a worthy final boss instead of just a stubborn old pig.

:odoroki: If they were going to detract from the seriousness of the final battle with Larry and Oldbag butting in unnecessarily, they might as well have gone the whole nine meters and hammed Alba's character up to eleven. Like this guy.
<_<
>_>

Read my fic(s)!
Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:
We have no dreams at all or interesting ones. We should learn to be awake the same way — not at all or in an interesting manner.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Capefeather, I agree that the final cases becoming so convoluted has hurt them somewhat. If they're going to take hours to walk us through the case, I'd rather they spend it on motive and pre-murder setup, rather than the hasty cover-up.

When you think about it, there are very few cases where a murder and its cover-up were pre-planned and carried off as intended. Of course the culprits have to screw up somehow in order for Phoenix & Co to catch them, but just about every murder in AAI and almost all in AJ were spur of the moment crimes, which is why the focus is so much stronger on the aftermath than the murder itself, which is too bad sometimes.
ImageImage

Robo-Aly

I think the biggest issue with going over the cover-up was that Alba just kept flashing his ambassador status and demanding that Edgeworth show proof. It really just took out all of the momentum we've had with past final battles. With the other games, once you get going, it's really intense. This one was pretty stagnant and just kept dragging on. I found myself just wanting it to be over

Master Attorney

I personally thought the final battle was too long and the ending was alright :keylady:

The Twisted Samurai

To me it seemed like, as if the game makers thaught: Oh, we got so much unused evidence and we are already at the rebuttal against Quercus Alba, so what to do?
Well and then they forced any missing evidence in that final rebuttal , well at least it seemed to me like that,
but I loved his objection
"The hammer that strikes too fast has no time to aim."

Robo-Aly

His objection was kind of hysterical :> HUUUUBJECTION.

I also really liked Calisto's objection, but that's just because her voice reminded me of a character from one of my favourite games...

mario rocks

Akane wrote:
His objection was kind of hysterical :> HUUUUBJECTION.

I also really liked Calisto's objection, but that's just because her voice reminded me of a character from one of my favourite games...

His hubjection scared the crap out of me the first time i heard it... i was not expecting it
Imagean honest to goodness Gant quote on an honest to goodness signature of a honest to goodness member of an honest to goodness PW website!!

Wannabe Ace Attorney

I felt the final battle drag even more when I replayed AAI-5. At first I'm like, "...why is this taking so long." Then when I returned to this case, I began wishing for a button that would let me skip these parts.

Spoiler: AAI-5, obviously. Just in case.
I think they should've cut down on the HOLD IT!s - in short, I wish the equation didn't include Oldbag. -_- I WISH there was some other way to prove that the murder had happened in the dressing room without the whole Rising Sun Samurai Dogs issue. That part seemed just too convenient for me. A blood drop right into the fan of the box design? And Oldbag just taking it so she could present it to Edgey? *sigh*

Oh, and I wanted to punch Alba for wanting to run away whenever it looked like he was cornered. Most annoying villain ever...which is a good and a bad thing. Sort of.

Although I have to admit, being stubborn must be part of his personality, hence the constant urge to run off and be somewhere even with all the evidence slowly piling up against him. I bet he used it a lot in his escapades as the smuggling ring boss.

Ah well. I typically like solving the final cases (I'm replaying 3-5 too), although...I kind of liked this one better when it finally ended, everyone had a happy ending, and the Final Boss was hauled away in handcuffs. I just felt, "Whew, glad THAT'S over." But usually after a crazy, convoluted case, I think, "So THAT'S how it went down! I can't believe that was solvable!"

By the way, that "OBJECTION!" is right up there next to Manfred's.

"Do a barrel roll!"

I wish all video game systems came with a "slap button." A character pisses you off? Hit the slap button and watch the guy your controlling slap the crap right out of them.

I wish I had the "Slap Button." I'd be slapping Alba like an angry pimp for dragging out the 'final battle' as much as he did.

Captain Hair!

I disagree, I thought the final battle was handled quite well. However I was disappointed with the part where the Samurai Dog had a drip of blood on it, as I found it to be far too simple to figure out. In addition, Alba's final breakdown animation wasn't as satisfying as I had wished.

/人◕‿‿◕人\

SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME! 8D

Sorry. *stops spazzing*

Anyway, I am firmly on the it-dragged-on-too-long side, but about Alba's final breakdown sprite? I agree...it was pretty disappointing. Portsman, a case one villain, had a more inventive breakdown sprite than Alba did.
~Fanfiction~

I thought Jacques had the worst breakdown... Alba's breakdown was weird. The "explosions" didn't really seem like explosions, probably because they were small and video game explosions universally come with appropriate sound effects. I thought that energy was being drained from him for a while.

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Yeah, Jacques had a crappy breakdown and it was better than Alba's. >_> It did sound like popping or something. Like tiny little fireworks.
~Fanfiction~

"I'm End Quote." end quote.

capefeather wrote:
I thought Jacques had the worst breakdown... Alba's breakdown was weird. The "explosions" didn't really seem like explosions, probably because they were small and video game explosions universally come with appropriate sound effects. I thought that energy was being drained from him for a while.

Yeah, his breakdown could have been a lot better, maybe him catching fire or something?

But I liked the actual confrontation, I mean, if you were an international smuggling ring leader and a corrupt politician, would you give up when there is still a slight chance of escape?

In that way, it was actually better than the confrontaiton of confrontions: 3-5

In that case, it was more like "Catch me if you can Trite" instread of "Holy crap, I gotta save my ass"
:keiko: WARNING: SIG CONTAINS LAME JOKE
ImageImage

I'm a Zebra, betch~

Detective Rossco wrote:
Spoilers obviousley

Spoiler:
It went on for friggen ages which doesn't mean it had to be a bad thing but the way they were continuing it was just awful. It was pretty much just Alba saying "no, I disagree" or someone shouting "Hold it!" (which even got on Kay's nerves). Plus what was with all the technicalties outside court? It was like you couldn't arrest him until he admitted guilt, this is Ace Attorney! I thought they just arrest the first person they see and let Defence Attornies to the rest!

Don't take that last part to seriousley

OH I KNOW.

Spoiler:
Freaking diplomatic immunity! If he didn't have it, Edgeworth and Gumshoe could have taken his ass downtown XD It was obvious that he was the culprit, but his pride got in the way. >.> Thank god for Lang. If he hadn't gotten Alba's diplomatic immunity revoked, it could have lasted FOREVER. :meekins:

On another note, I LOVE YOU SIG. Tenacious D FTW. :damon: DO NOT WANT. XD
I'm a Zebra, betch, and don't you forget it~

I'm a Zebra, betch~

Icarus wrote:

WHAAAAT?! DO NOT WANT! NOT SAFE FOR WORK! AAAAAAAH

LOL, just kidding. I know what you mean. Damon Gant was planning it for YEARS. Alba just wanted to gtfo in a hurry so when Edgeworth and Lang connected the dots, he would be out of the country and never seen again. XD His haste was his downfall.

Ten points if you believe that he never had a plain to catch in the first place.

Also, it was the hardest villain in Ace Attorney History (tm). Alba's breakdown could have been more epic, but when I finally took the guy down, I started raving in my living room. He's a pain to catch, but it's well worth it. He tried everything to save his ass, but it just wasn't enough for the power of EDGEWORTH AND LANG~ *insert superhero music here*

Hmmm... they need a group name... Edgeworth and the Investigators? IDK.
I'm a Zebra, betch, and don't you forget it~

Monsieur butts

case 5 spoilers

Spoiler:
How is murdering somebody, having accomplices, that have no idea that they are helping you (Larry Butz) and using fires to transfer the body, while at the same time framing the dead man as the head man anything but cunning?

The problem is that the people in Miles's universe are way too competant for a normal villlain so you need someone that would be virtually impossible to catch to match the talents of his team. The finale was dragged out,because it needed to highlight everybody's ability in that case (kay's thievery, Fran's efficiency, Lang's tactics, Gumshoe's investigational skills).
They could have admittedly done a better job of having Miles land the finishing blow (that was a bit of a stretch), but other than that I had no problem with the final case.

"I'm End Quote." end quote.

Oscirus wrote:
case 5 spoilers

Spoiler:
How is murdering somebody, having accomplices, that have no idea that they are helping you (Larry Butz) and using fires to transfer the body, while at the same time framing the dead man as the head man anything but cunning?

The problem is that the people in Miles's universe are way too competant for a normal villlain so you need someone that would be virtually impossible to catch to match the talents of his team. The finale was dragged out,because it needed to highlight everybody's ability in that case (kay's thievery, Fran's efficiency, Lang's tactics, Gumshoe's investigational skills).
They could have admittedly done a better job of having Miles land the finishing blow (that was a bit of a stretch), but other than that I had no problem with the final case.

And ofcourse, Colias' awesome ambassador skills!

I really hope that guy returns in GK2...
:keiko: WARNING: SIG CONTAINS LAME JOKE
ImageImage
Page 2 of 3 [ 90 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby