Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club

Page 1 of 2[ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pianists, Unite!Topic%20Title

The Trusty Nudal!

Hey there, nudalman speaking!
I decided to make a topic for pianists! If you are a dedicated pianist like myself, then this is a place for you to discuss everything about playing the piano - why you like it, why you dislike it, your piano level, any composers/songs that you like...
So if you have a passion for the piano, then this is the topic for you.
Signature and Avatar by the wonderful Midnight Jasper! Check out her graphics, you will be impressed!
Check out my sprites!
Creator of Leon Prinze Ace Attorney - Final Judgment (Sprites by Ceres)
Re: Pianists, Unite!Topic%20Title

Real men are gray-haired in their 20s.

Why do I like the piano? Because it's the sexiest musical instrument around, that's why! :hobohodo:

Seriously, though. I just love the sounds a piano can produce, the emotions it can make me feel (I know that can apply to pretty much any instrument, but the piano's my favorite), and the only thing better than experiencing the music is making it happen, for others to enjoy.

I know there are many others out there, but just one of my favorite composers is Vince Guaraldi. Some of the stuff he's done...here are just a few good ones:

Christmastime Is Here (Instrumental)

Skating

Cast Your Fate to the Wind

I actually don't play the piano anymore... :sadshoe:

But I plan to come back to it someday. :acro:

Totally not my sig...

Eep, I love the piano. I have a Casio electric piano and I had a real piano, but my mom gave it away because we were running out of room in the house. I took lessons for a while, and currently I'm teaching myself with the lesson books I still have.

Favorite composers? Probably Fredrick Chopin, since he was one of the first pianists I remember listening to when I was a baby. I like Debussy and Beethoven too.

The Trusty Nudal!

nekonohime wrote:
Eep, I love the piano. I have a Casio electric piano and I had a real piano, but my mom gave it away because we were running out of room in the house. I took lessons for a while, and currently I'm teaching myself with the lesson books I still have.

Favorite composers? Probably Fredrick Chopin, since he was one of the first pianists I remember listening to when I was a baby. I like Debussy and Beethoven too.

Yes, Chopin is my favourite too :p

What level are you? (out of curiosity, it's cool that you are teaching yourself :phoenix: )

@ shadowofedgeworth

Yeah, the piano has a brilliant tone.

Make sure you come back to piano! Piano is a great way to relieve stress and just express yourself!
Signature and Avatar by the wonderful Midnight Jasper! Check out her graphics, you will be impressed!
Check out my sprites!

I'm more at a beginner level, since when I took piano lessons it was the beginner's level courses.

The Trusty Nudal!

Well keep working at it!
Piano is fun, awesome, and a way to earn money (*wink* *wink*)!
Check out my sprites!

To the Batmobile!

My mom teaches me piano, and she has been doing that ever since I was a little kid. I suck, though, because I've grown to hate it ^^"
DragonsWebsite[closed]
You might know me from Dragon Cave Forums or Orange on my website. :) ~ Set by me

Get Funky, +10 Pulchritude

i've been playing for a few years

right now i'm working on this piece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYCAxCgQZXU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nion9XiS ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKLym8B9 ... re=related

The Trusty Nudal!

L_J wrote:

Nice! Glad to see a fellow pianist! :)

Ooh, I love Maurice Ravel! (though I haven't played any of his pieces yet, they are SO pretty)
Good luck with the song!
Check out my sprites!

Time for you to sleep.

I have been playing for six years. I'm currently doing Grade 5. In fact, I just ordered my new Yamaha C series. It's a discontinued model, this particular one manufactured in 2004, but it's been never used and is really comfortable to play. Grade 5 is hard, though. I never seem to do well in sight reading. I've done well up until now, mostly 85-88, apart from the 75 I got last year.

But I digress, I'm a huge fan of classical piano, Schumann and Schubert and all that. I particularly love Erik Satie. I learnt his Gnoisienne No1, and it is a really fun piece to play.
Parents: Chloe, CoffeeProsecutor Brothers: K_V_N, Auraion, OriginalBubs Son: Rarikou
Thanks to Midnight Jasper for the stuff.

The Trusty Nudal!

Yessss, Satie's music is cool and mysterious to listen to.

I have also been playing for 6 years, but I never took my Grade 5 test. Instead, I'm studying for my grade 10 one right now (wish me luck, grade 10 is so darn hard!)

Good luck for your exam, hope you do well! :redd:
Check out my sprites!

So, I've been playing for about 4 years now (I don't know wich grade that would be 'cause I live in Belgium) Let's say I'm doing my best on Inventio 4 and 8 from the"two part inventions" of Bach :payne: (Bach is something you have to play in my musicschool whether you like it or not, I'm one of the few pupils I know who likes it). Right now I'm struggeling with "Victors Piano Solo",(Corpse Bride). And I've also had one year of playing piano duets now...
Really, I've still got a long way to go...
(I'm also wondering if someone knows where you could get the original music scores from The Beatles... :maya: )

The Trusty Nudal!

ProsecutorPressley wrote:
So, I've been playing for about 4 years now (I don't know wich grade that would be 'cause I live in Belgium) Let's say I'm doing my best on Inventio 4 and 8 from the"two part inventions" of Bach :payne: (Bach is something you have to play in my musicschool whether you like it or not, I'm one of the few pupils I know who likes it). Right now I'm struggeling with "Victors Piano Solo",(Corpse Bride). And I've also had one year of playing piano duets now...
Really, I've still got a long way to go...
(I'm also wondering if someone knows where you could get the original music scores from The Beatles... :maya: )

My opinion on Bach: Hard to learn, especially at my level now, but once you have it learned, just about the funnest pieces that you can play.
Anyways, good luck with "Victor's Piano Solo", or any other piece you happen to learn :)

I just realized that I haven't really given my opinion and other stuff, so here it is.

I started piano when I was 6. I'm have now just turned 13 a month ago, but my undying love for the piano has has not diminished at all. Some have even gone as far as to call me a prodigy. I started taking lessons in groups, but after my first lesson, it was clear I was ahead of the game, so I was raised to the next level right away. Even at the next level, I was too good, so I was accepted into my school's enriched studies program at only 7 years old. Right now, I am studying to take my Grade 10 RCM test for next year. If I pass, (which I probably will, I got a 94% on my last one)then I graduate! :phoenix:
I also do competitions. I enter about 15 a year, and per year, my average is 12 first places and 2 seconds and 1 third. I was also accepted to go to battle against Ontario in the Grade 9 provincials. I got an honorable mention (which is good because I was younger than everyone by about 4 years). I have also had the glorious opportunity to play a concert with a symphony, and I almost made a commercial because of piano. (Darn, why couldn't I have had more charisma!)

Right now, my favourite composers are Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Alexina Louie, Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach, and I am currently learning this piece (It's is so beautiful): Etude Tableau by Rachmaninoff
Check out my sprites!

Yay pianists~! Finished my Grade 8 earlier this year under ABRSM, got 120 dead. Whew, that was a lucky merit XD

I love pretty much all baroque (especially Scarlatti), even though I really have problems with keeping my fingers steady. I also have tiny hands that can only barely reach an octave, so there aren't really that many pieces I can play... Does anyone else have this problem?

Anyway, right now I'm trying out the piano accompaniments for If You Were Gay (Avenue Q) and Defying Gravity (Wicked). I'm also working on Megaman, although it's REALLY FREAKING HARD.

@Nudalman - Wow, well done! I think we're basically the same, if RCM grade 10 is the equivalent of ABRSM grade 8. I finished my grade 8 exam two months before my 13th birthday, but I've never taken part in any competitions or anything like that.

The Trusty Nudal!

Midnight Jasper wrote:
Yay pianists~! Finished my Grade 8 earlier this year under ABRSM, got 120 dead. Whew, that was a lucky merit XD

I love pretty much all baroque (especially Scarlatti), even though I really have problems with keeping my fingers steady. I also have tiny hands that can only barely reach an octave, so there aren't really that many pieces I can play... Does anyone else have this problem?

Anyway, right now I'm trying out the piano accompaniments for If You Were Gay (Avenue Q) and Defying Gravity (Wicked). I'm also working on Megaman, although it's REALLY FREAKING HARD.

@Nudalman - Wow, well done! I think we're basically the same, if RCM grade 10 is the equivalent of ABRSM grade 8. I finished my grade 8 exam two months before my 13th birthday, but I've never taken part in any competitions or anything like that.

Congrats. That's impressive :)
Ja, I am a shrimp. My hands are so tiny. (A real pain when trying to play)
Do you still play?
Check out my sprites!

Yeah, except now I get to play what I actually want to =D

Some baroque, some accompaniments from musicals, and my friend and I are arranging various pieces of video game music (Ace Attorney, Layton, Golden Sun, etc.) so we can go busking (she plays the saxophone). It'll be awesome~

The Trusty Nudal!

Midnight Jasper wrote:
Yeah, except now I get to play what I actually want to =D

Some baroque, some accompaniments from musicals, and my friend and I are arranging various pieces of video game music (Ace Attorney, Layton, Golden Sun, etc.) so we can go busking (she plays the saxophone). It'll be awesome~

Nice! I can't wait for that moment when I can play whatever :)

Good luck busking, and don't give up on piano :p
Check out my sprites!

Time for you to sleep.

I've been playing since 8 years old, but I'm no prodigy. I'm painfully average at it all.
Parents: Chloe, CoffeeProsecutor Brothers: K_V_N, Auraion, OriginalBubs Son: Rarikou
Thanks to Midnight Jasper for the stuff.

The Trusty Nudal!

Electroboy wrote:
I've been playing since 8 years old, but I'm no prodigy. I'm painfully average at it all.

Don't be too hard on yourself! And remember, it's not how well you play, but the emotions piano makes you feel! (That was extremely cheesy :payne: )
Check out my sprites!

^^ True dat. If you can fake emotion, you've got it down

Seriously, the most popular and fun tunes are also often some of the easiest. Like Fur Elise and Turkish March.

Although I swear to God, if I hear Chopsticks one more time I'm going to kill myself.

The Trusty Nudal!

Midnight Jasper wrote:
^^ True dat. If you can fake emotion, you've got it down

Seriously, the most popular and fun tunes are also often some of the easiest. Like Fur Elise and Turkish March.

Although I swear to God, if I hear Chopsticks one more time I'm going to kill myself.

Yeah, Chopsticks is so annoying.

School Talent Show Auditions:
Boy 1: I know how to play piano! I'm going to play Chopsticks!
Boy 2: I know how to play piano also! I'm going to play Chopsticks!

Gosh it's so annoying.
For me, the funnest to play are the ones which I can really connect to emotionally, cause everyone says I'm a great emotional player. Maybe that's why I'm good at jazz?
Check out my sprites!

Call me Ishmael.

Used to play piano! :phoenix: Good times. Unfortunately I had to quit for various reasons.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

"...Naturally."

I've been playing the piano for 4 years, and I'm at Grade 5, as it is in England, (not sure how it is in other countries). I'm more of a fan of playing pop songs on the piano, as most of the Grade pieces are quite boring for me. My favourites to play are "This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us" and "Eleneor Rigby". :edgy:
Engaged to Reiji!
Credit to Nadindi for the awesome sig! :D

earthlings on fire

I took lessons for seven years, but I suck now. D8 Probably due to the fact that I never practiced. THAT was probably due to the fact that I once figured out that the keys on our piano were a complete half-step flat. Tuning it didn't seem to help much. It was just a crap instrument.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

The Trusty Nudal!

@ March Tobaye
Too bad. I know how you feel, I have to put jazz lessons on hold for a bit because lessons are too expensive.
@ ShadowEdgeworth
Eleanor Rigby is an awesome song :)
@ Cravat of Doom
Ja, I hate playing on lousy instruments too.
Check out my sprites!

Am learning to play AAI Tell the Truth on piano. Is EPIC =D Although I do have some trouble with the left hand...

Oh, wow. How have I not seen this thread yet? xD

I've been playing piano for about ten years, since I was 6 years old. :) There were a few bumps along the way where I thought about quitting, (mainly the childish 'I JUST CAN'T BE BOTHERED' mindset), but I'm so glad that I've persevered.

I'm currently studying for Grade 7, which is the penultimate exam as there are 8 Grades. ^^ It's considered 'Advanced' now, I think.

Also, @Midnight Jasper - THAT IS AWESOME. Do you have the sheet music? <3
^ Click for my graphics ^

It's on gyakusheets, here - http://gyakusheets.houjun.com/sheets/Ac ... _Edgeworth

Once you get the hang of the right hand, it's not that bad. But I keep on having troubles with the left hand and fingering. It's pretty damn fast, too =D

Oh right, thanks. ^^

See, I'm really bad when it comes to practice. Not in the most obvious way either - if I start working on a new piece, I physically can't leave the piano until I've at least mastered the notes to a 90% correct state. xD

I suppose it's a form of perfectionism. Or maybe a fear that I'll forget it all the next day.
^ Click for my graphics ^

The Trusty Nudal!

Midnight Jasper wrote:
Am learning to play AAI Tell the Truth on piano. Is EPIC =D Although I do have some trouble with the left hand...

Nice :) I love that song!

Now, I'm learning this song: Dr. Gradus ad Parnassum by Debussy

Playing this song: easy. Playing this song quietly: hard.

Also, just a general question: Does anyone here compose there own music?

Personally I love to compose. I have composed around 10 songs.
Check out my sprites!

The Trusty Nudal!

Now I'm learning this song:
Six Variations on Land of the Silver Birch

It's so beatiful...

On a side note, I just finished writing a composition, I'll be uploading to youtube soon :)
Check out my sprites!

My orchestra teacher just gave me the Habanera to sightread/learn, so I guess I'll have to put Megaman on hold XP

I adore composing with Sibelius, but lately it's just been really hard to get the drive. Like, I get a tune into my head, and working out the timings and notes and instruments makes it take about an hour to input a single line. Urk. Anywho, the music I "compose" is more to listen to, not to play.

1000% Knight

Midnight Jasper wrote:
My orchestra teacher just gave me the Habanera to sightread/learn, so I guess I'll have to put Megaman on hold XP.

The Carmen Habanera? Nice. (One of these days I'm going to need to learn the Borne Fantasy on Flute. Or whichever one it is.)

Anyway, I've been playing piano for a whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile, but I never really practiced that much, so xD Also, I started flute, and that became my main instrument, and... you guys are so much younger than me and have been playing so less and are so much better xD Oh wellz. (I'm really good at getting music up to a reasonable level, but really bad at getting it to a perfect level (And this is for flute. For piano is just bleeeech xD))

Classical music is too hard bleh to me.* VGM is <3 (I can play Bratja from FMA, and various songs from Chrono Trigger, LoZ: Wind Waker, and FF6, with some memorized and some not xD)

Right now I'm working on this, with progress coming (very) slowly, but surely. (Right now, I can play up to around 0:40 :D)

(...but my dream is to learn to play this. *sigh* someday I'll grow that extra hand...)

*: I have flute for all my classical needs <3
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

I've been playing the piano for... 7 years. That sounds so long!
Right now I'm learning The Heart Asks Pleasure First, but it's a little difficult. I'm also completing 5th grade >.<

Little Magician wrote:
I've been playing the piano for... 7 years. That sounds so long!
Right now I'm learning The Heart Asks Pleasure First, but it's a little difficult. I'm also completing 5th grade >.<

That sounds like a really nice piece! Good luck with it!

Right now I'm working on this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOCZ5K1vxCQ
(When I compare it to your piece, it's incredibly easy though...)
I just love that movie :)

The Trusty Nudal!

Omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg........................

Guess what. I just got to play at a concert, with Catherine Wilson, on a Fazioli.

Here's the scoop.

So, for those of you who don't know, the Fazioli is a brand of piano, known to have some of the greatest pianos ever manufactured. So, there was a Fazioli sale, and they invited Catherine Wilson, a well-known pianist for her classical recordings, to play. And get this: They asked me to open up the show. So I got to play on a $250 000 piano. And I got her autograph. How cool is that?
Check out my sprites!

Haven't been officially for a while. Started last November but learned songs from ear for about a year before. I love playing it and I have a ton of fun! I am working on playing the piano part in "I Am The Walrus" from ear. I'm about half way done. I can also play Objection! too. But the book I am on is Alfred's Piano Beginner's Book Level 5 at the moment so I am probably a newbie to the other people in this thread.
Clickie the sig to go to my sprites! (Updated 10-14-10!)Court Records - The Game!
Thanks to PandaPrinzessin for the signature!
Son to Meenyman and kaisap112! Plus, brother to Madame Sho and Dawn!

The Trusty Nudal!

Hahaha, Don't worry, I started off with Alfred's books too :P

Finally, I'm on my last piece I have to learn for competitions... Prelude and Fuge 16 in G minor... it's so hard right now..
Check out my sprites!

Here's a picture of my piano -
Spoiler:

And here's a short video of me playing "I Am The Walrus" (Only the intro)
Spoiler: Yup

Clickie the sig to go to my sprites! (Updated 10-14-10!)Court Records - The Game!
Thanks to PandaPrinzessin for the signature!
Son to Meenyman and kaisap112! Plus, brother to Madame Sho and Dawn!

Et tu, Brute?

I have been a pianist for nearly all my life now...at first it was forced by my parents, but I came to appreciate the skill once I entered high school. Now I find myself playing whenever I have free time.

Truly, I believe piano has influenced my love of classical music- which has deeply affected my personality and character. I take it with me wherever I go, for instance, I listen to Chopin every day on the way to school and back. I also find that there are few joys greater in life than listening to Mozart while settling down with a good book.

Anyways, since everyone is showing off, I guess I'll do it as well. It took me months of everyday practice but I've mastered what is perhaps one of Chopin's greatest works, and rivals only his Nocturnes in its simple beauty. :acro: :acro: :acro:
Page 1 of 2 [ 43 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club