Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club

Page 1 of 1[ 4 posts ]

Critique An Album - Share Your OpinionsTopic%20Title

Idol of Polar Bears

You know that one album that you love so much and need to tell everyone about? Have you also felt like you couldn't speak your mind with a simple "It's good/bad" statement?

In this topic, we give our professional opinions on albums we love or despise with a seething red-hot hatred. For great impact, you should include a picture of the album cover along with a songs list for the album. You could also follow your review with a letter/number/cranberries, etc. score but is not necessary. This is your time to say what's on your mind!

Album: The Extremist
Artist: Joe Satriani

Music
1) Friends
2) The Extremist
3) War
4) Cryin'
5) Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness
6) Summer Song
7) Tears In The Rain
8) Why
9) Motorcycle Driver
10) New Blues

Solid, summer-tailored hard rock virtuosity. Satch has always been able to paint vibrant, richly detailed images with his own style and innate craftsmanship. However, he is also a thinker which contradicts the popular idea that individualism and popularity don't mix. This creates a mash-up from two ends of the musical spectrum: the easy-on-the-ears hard rock and pop, and the ever-progressive nature of music pushing the boundaries of manufactured sound to places one can only imagine. Satch brings out the best of both with irrefutable evidence in songs like the raging "War", the driving "Motorcycle Driver", the soothing acoustic track on "Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness", and sandy beach-ready "Summer Song". It's a commercial sound with a dash of guitar invdividualism, something Satch has always excelled at. So, if you think "Cryin'" sounds too saccharine to seriously listen to, take note that the opening track, with it's heartwarming sincerity, is also one of the best. Joe never says a word throughout the album's 47-minute recording length but with hard rock this satiating, why bother?

Final Verdict: Worth A Listen

Top Tracks
Friends
The Extremist
War
Cryin'
Summer Song
Re: Critique An Album - Share Your OpinionsTopic%20Title

Dahlia x Kristoph supporter.

oooo my turn!

Album: The Fall of Ideals
Artist: All That Remains

Track List:

"This Calling"
"Not Alone"
"It Dwells in Me"
"We Stand"
"Whispers (I Hear Your)"
"The Weak Willed"
"Six"
"Become the Catalyst"
"The Air That I Breathe"
"Empty Inside"
"Indictment"

Ahh yes...All That Remains. One of my favorite bands of all time as of 2 months ago. This album is a heavy metalcore ride that kicks off with an insane amount of power and never slows down. ATR has been around for nearly a decade now, recieving some hints of their existance by being featured in Guitar Hero II (Six), in the film Saw III's soundtrack (This Calling), and as downloadable content for Rock Band (This Calling, Two Weeks and Chiron from their Overcome album). Of course now they've recieved more attention from being confirmed for the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival. Frontman Phil Labonte's vocals are insane! Switching from deep gutteral growls, to screeching rasps, to harmonic singing, the insane dual guitar harmonics, the fast pounding double-bassed drums, and the female-"manned" bass, this is one album you don't want to miss out on!

Final statement: Totally worth the money.

Track favorites:

This Calling
Not Alone
Whispers (I Hear Your)
Six

and...that's it. that was my first time reviewing something. i hope it's good...
Sig by me.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOWAKANA.

Idol of Polar Bears

Their bass player's a "she"? Reminds me of everyone falling off their chairs after discovering that the Abnormality singer was a chick, too.

And remember: It's not about how much you know, but how well you can pitch your ideas to the readers.

i feel pretty

Album: Crooked Timber
Artist: Therapy?

Track List:

"The Head That Tried To Strangle Itself"
"Enjoy The Struggle"
"Clowns Galore"
"Exiles"
"Crooked Timber"
"I Told You I Was Ill"
"Somnambulist"
"Blacken The Page"
"Magic Mountain"
"Bad Excuse For Daylight"

Therapy? are a band who, through constant changing of style, lineup, and record labels, have lost all but their most dedicated fans.

Truly a shame, because with this, Therapy? may have made their best album yet. A heavy title to bestow on a band with 12 albums under their belt, many of them classic.

Therapy? stay true to their frequent switching of styles, and here it truly pays off, for in an era of lookalike, soundalike bands, they have made a work of true originality. There is little to compare this album to; the riffs bear a mild resemblance to Helmet at their heaviest, but never more than a similarity. And speaking of riffs, they are of high standard, which is saying something as the guitars are probably the least impressive element of Therapy?. This might sound like an insult, until you take into account that Mike McKeegan and Neil Cooper are gods of Bass and Drums respectively. Whilst these instruments play minor roles in some music, here they are the driving force behind this band. On this album, Neil Cooper practically steals the crown held by original drummer Fyfe Ewing as he pummels his way through the storming "Clowns Galore", as McKeegan assumes perhaps his finest moment in "Enjoy The Struggle".

The album itself is an oddity, recieving mixed reviews ranging everywhere from terrible to masterpeice. This is justifiable... the album can be confusing, as much new ground can be. Perhaps the oddest thing here is "Magic Mountain", a 10 minute instrumental that is probably best listenened to on acid (I wouldn't know, but it seems the type...). But give the entire record several spins, and it all truly begins to gel together to form one of the finest records of the decade.

Final statement: Sheer brilliance, though not for everyone.

Track favorites:

Clowns Galore
Crooked Timber
The Head That Tried To Strangle Itself
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Borscht Bowl Club