Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 7 posts ]

Should I start with Curious Village or Last Spector?Topic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

In preparation for Layton vs. Ace Attorney Im going to play through Layton. I have a family member who owns all of them. I know Curious Village is the first one and I've played About 30 mins of it. But I know that the Last Spector is A prequel. Which one should I play first?
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
Re: Should I start with Curious Village or Last Spector?Topic%20Title

The Twisted Samurai

Curious Village, definitley.

If you start a new game series, always start with the first.
Like that, you can start to either hate or like the game mechanics and eventually the wish arises, to grow further to the characters.

It doesn´t matter, wether it is a prequel.
People should start with MGS1 as well, even though 3 starts around 40 years before the first one takes place. :P
"The hammer that strikes too fast has no time to aim."

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Curious Village. The game has one of the best climaxes, but puzzle distribution was... Er, improved in future titles. It'll be harder to go back and enjoy Curious Village after you played a sequel. After that gameplay wise, I don't think it matters which you continue with.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
Curious Village, definitley.

If you start a new game series, always start with the first.
Like that, you can start to either hate or like the game mechanics and eventually the wish arises, to grow further to the characters.

It doesn´t matter, wether it is a prequel.
People should start with MGS1 as well, even though 3 starts around 40 years before the first one takes place. :P

I actually played MGS3 first, and it gave The Twin Snakes (MGS1 on gamecube) some nice backstory but I know what you mean. I'm sure I'd have a different experience if I had thought of Snake as Big Boss in that game (although I haven't actually beat it yet so there's still hope) Thanks!

Wooster wrote:
Curious Village. The game has one of the best climaxes, but puzzle distribution was... Er, improved in future titles. It'll be harder to go back and enjoy Curious Village after you played a sequel. After that gameplay wise, I don't think it matters which you continue with.

Thanks! To be honest, I'm not in love with it so far (mainly because the puzzles are so removed from the plot. I mean, they make Myst's puzzles look story-connected.) so I'm not addicted and up all night playing like with AA. But it has a nice atmosphere and is still enjoyable when I'm in the mood for it. (At least until the math puzzles come in.) The fully voiced cutscenes are cool, though.

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep playing Curious Village.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

They kinda fixes the puzzles being segregated from the plot in Pandora's Box, puzzles are also not jammed as tightly. Curious Villiage made me suffer puzzle overload. I'll likely never play it again, but I will cherish the memories for when it went above and beyond.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Definitely Curious Village; it certainly isn't a bad game, but coming off of the sequels it feels very archaic in a way: they experiment here with some odd puzzles they never use again (like the word-based ones and the ghastly "seven squares" one), there isn't much music variety, and there isn't enough of the audio magic that is Layton's voice.

However, if you stick through to the end, it's good; the sequels certainly more than make up for its shortcomings and they seem to improve more in each one.
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I'm putting Layton on hold for a bit because I've become addicted to Hotel Dusk: Room 215, (Which I've owned for a while but never really played past an hour) but as soon as I'm done I'll start again on Layton.
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)