Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 2[ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 


Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

Has Capcom said anything official as to whether PL vs AA is actually Canon to the other AA games?
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title

The King of All

Gender: None specified

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:30 am

Posts: 566

ADA McCoy wrote:
Has Capcom said anything official as to whether PL vs AA is actually Canon to the other AA games?

Well, I remember reading that Mr. Takumi assured it wasn't a side story
The king of all, Sir Duke
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Infinite Ammo? Try INFINITE GUNS!

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14044

Deadpool 9 wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:
Has Capcom said anything official as to whether PL vs AA is actually Canon to the other AA games?

Well, I remember reading that Mr. Takumi assured it wasn't a side story


Source or I call it nonsense!

There's no way a spin off this nutty could be canon to the AA universe, maybe this stuff flies with that kook Layton but we're a bit more respectable over here in fictional!LA.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

sans.

Gender: Male

Location: Hiding beneath the judge's desk

Rank: Admin

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Posts: 3268

The game works very hard to avoid references to the individual PL or AA games, but nor are there any glaring contradictions to canon. Most likely, the game takes place between AA2 and AA3 and PL2 and PL3, from the few cues there are.

And I'm pretty sure Takumi or someone else has said it's not a side story, but I'm not sure if he literally meant it's part of the storyline, or just that it's meant to feel like a full game.
Hey! My current life situation is [low-level internal screaming], so I may be slow to respond to things. Thanks for understanding!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6921

Within the game itself there really doesn't seem to be anything, but having played the first DLC episode, there does seem to be a contradiction with canon to me...

Spoiler:
During the main game, Maya says "Zvarri!" once, implying PLvAA takes place after 3-2. However, the first DLC episode takes place a year after PLvAA, and they say that Nick is still defending and whatnot, but Nick should be disbarred by then.

Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

迷探偵

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Posts: 2215

The DLC episodes are definitely not canon, as they are side-stories that work on a meta-level (and the characters mention that themselves too).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

sans.

Gender: Male

Location: Hiding beneath the judge's desk

Rank: Admin

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Posts: 3268

Bad Player wrote:
Within the game itself there really doesn't seem to be anything, but having played the first DLC episode, there does seem to be a contradiction with canon to me...

Spoiler:
During the main game, Maya says "Zvarri!" once, implying PLvAA takes place after 3-2. However, the first DLC episode takes place a year after PLvAA, and they say that Nick is still defending and whatnot, but Nick should be disbarred by then.


Huh, totally missed that. Guess that places PLvsAA after 3-2, but like Ash said, the DLC episodes are totally not canon.
Hey! My current life situation is [low-level internal screaming], so I may be slow to respond to things. Thanks for understanding!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

Bolt Storm wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
Within the game itself there really doesn't seem to be anything, but having played the first DLC episode, there does seem to be a contradiction with canon to me...

Spoiler:
During the main game, Maya says "Zvarri!" once, implying PLvAA takes place after 3-2. However, the first DLC episode takes place a year after PLvAA, and they say that Nick is still defending and whatnot, but Nick should be disbarred by then.


Huh, totally missed that. Guess that places PLvsAA after 3-2, but like Ash said, the DLC episodes are totally not canon.


Hmm...While the magic and fantasy elements concern me a little bit, the idea of another case after 3-5 but before his disbarrment is exciting.

Can anyone tell me the month that the "real-world" London elements take place?
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6921

Bolt Storm wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
Within the game itself there really doesn't seem to be anything, but having played the first DLC episode, there does seem to be a contradiction with canon to me...

Spoiler:
During the main game, Maya says "Zvarri!" once, implying PLvAA takes place after 3-2. However, the first DLC episode takes place a year after PLvAA, and they say that Nick is still defending and whatnot, but Nick should be disbarred by then.


Huh, totally missed that. Guess that places PLvsAA after 3-2, but like Ash said, the DLC episodes are totally not canon.

Yeah but still :<

@McCoy: I don't think there's any mention of months or time of the year or anything like that.
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

Bad Player wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
Within the game itself there really doesn't seem to be anything, but having played the first DLC episode, there does seem to be a contradiction with canon to me...

Spoiler:
During the main game, Maya says "Zvarri!" once, implying PLvAA takes place after 3-2. However, the first DLC episode takes place a year after PLvAA, and they say that Nick is still defending and whatnot, but Nick should be disbarred by then.


Huh, totally missed that. Guess that places PLvsAA after 3-2, but like Ash said, the DLC episodes are totally not canon.

Yeah but still :<

@McCoy: I don't think there's any mention of months or time of the year or anything like that.


Wow, I would have assumed they kept the whole law and order style

Jun 18 3:30 PM
Wright & Co Law Offices

thing. Oh well. They probably kept it intentionally vague.

EDIT: for the record, I was reading the Layton Wiki, and on their end the game takes place between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future. No word on Canon status though
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:18 pm

Posts: 101

If anyone seems to remember...
Spoiler:
there was a 'to be continued' at the end of 'unwound future' leaving me to believe that this game takes place after and layton will be reuniting with luke again to solve this mystery. .
as for having an official answer to this.... i do not, nor have i heard.
Image
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

OBJECTION! That's a clear contradiction!

Gender: Male

Location: Texas

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Posts: 23

Quote:
If anyone seems to remember...
Spoiler:
there was a 'to be continued' at the end of 'unwound future' leaving me to believe that this game takes place after and layton will be reuniting with luke again to solve this mystery. .

as for having an official answer to this.... i do not, nor have i heard.


I know your answer isn't an official one but it still doesn't explain where Flora is if PLvsAA takes place after Unwound Future.
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

sans.

Gender: Male

Location: Hiding beneath the judge's desk

Rank: Admin

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Posts: 3268

As far as I know, there's still no official word, but it could easily take place between Azran Legacies and Curious Village.
Hey! My current life situation is [low-level internal screaming], so I may be slow to respond to things. Thanks for understanding!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

According to the Layton Wiki, they've figured out it takes place between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future, mainly because of the appearance of Inspector Chemlley.

Still no word on AA canon, though.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

sans.

Gender: Male

Location: Hiding beneath the judge's desk

Rank: Admin

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Posts: 3268

Ah, derp, that's right. Forgot that Chelmey pops up. So yeah, between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future then. :yogi:
Hey! My current life situation is [low-level internal screaming], so I may be slow to respond to things. Thanks for understanding!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Infinite Ammo? Try INFINITE GUNS!

Gender: Male

Location: A land of ignorance and fear.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14044

ADA McCoy wrote:
According to the Layton Wiki, they've figured out it takes place between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future, mainly because of the appearance of Inspector Chemlley.

Still no word on AA canon, though.


Damn those Laytonites! How'd they solve the case before us?
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

Pierre wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:
According to the Layton Wiki, they've figured out it takes place between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future, mainly because of the appearance of Inspector Chemlley.

Still no word on AA canon, though.


Damn those Laytonites! How'd they solve the case before us?


Their timeline placement is a lot easier than ours. Because

Spoiler:
Chelmey is really the villain in disguise in Curious Village, they aren't introduced to the real Inspector Chelmey until the second game. Because they don't meet him for the first time in PLvsAA, they can conclude that it took place in between 1 and 2


With AA it's hard because of both the vague timeline placement and the fact that the events are never mentioned again in the AA series.
Spoiler:
And I know there's not some kind of weird X-Files-style "they don't remember what happened" kind of thing. Apparently they just go back to the real world.


So I'm wondering exactly what the canon status is on our end.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Posts: 1410

I highly doubt that this game and its DLC is canon. The storyline seems way too unrealistic to fit into both series' respective timelines. I know that AA and PL can be both "out there" when it comes to their stories, but this one is really pushing it.

If it somehow is canon, I'd probably place it between AA3 and AA4 as well as between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future. I should also note that unlike Layton, Ace Attorney actually has concrete years in its timeline. The third game takes place in 2019, while Apollo Justice takes place in 2026.

Spoiler:
If you want to get really specific, the ending of AA3 takes place in February 2019, while Phoenix's disbarment takes place in April of the same year. It would not be unreasonable to suggest that PL vs. AA could possibly take place in that short time span. Professor Layton on the other hand never has had an actual year placement, though judging by some of the technology references in the puzzles as well as the car models; the series probably takes place at least from the mid-1990s onwards. Could that mean that the Layton series takes place in the same years as Ace Attorney?
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title

Objection!

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:51 am

Posts: 56

I think PWvsAA takes place between AA1 and AA2.

Spoiler: Chapter 2 Ending
After Kira is burned, Phoenix mentions that he was always able to get a Not Guilty verdict. That, of course, was not the case in 2-4, where Matt Engarde was found guilty, which leads me to assume that it took place after AA1.

Besides, Phoenix seemed pretty... amateurish during the trial. Sure, it was out of his comfort zone and in a completely different universe with different laws and different methods, but Layton seemed to have to jump in a bit too often during key moments of the trial. Would make sense - it's AA1, the start of his career as a lawyer.


Edit: ...nevermind. If it is canon at all (which it is probably not), it takes place after AA3.

Spoiler: Chapter 3
Maya used the "Zvarri!" while out puzzling with Luke.
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1631

TheTopHatProfessor... well, I don't know if you've played the other Layton games, but I can assure you that in terms of "realism" PLvsPWAA is not even close to being unrealistic for "even a Layton story". Well sure it seems to be for Ace Attorney, but hey, maybe Layton and Luke were actually wandering around in a town inhabited by robots looking for the golden apple, while Phoenix exposed Manfred Von Karma for his crime? ^_^
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Posts: 71

ThePaSch wrote:
Besides, Phoenix seemed pretty... amateurish during the trial. Sure, it was out of his comfort zone and in a completely different universe with different laws and different methods, but Layton seemed to have to jump in a bit too often during key moments of the trial. Would make sense - it's AA1, the start of his career as a lawyer.[/spoiler]


Well... maybe he was amateurish because he was still reeling from the whole realization of ' Okay, so I'm not a baker, I'm actually an attorney ' ? Just a thought :ron:
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

GREAT and POWERFUL Trixie's co-council

Gender: Male

Location: Spain

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:47 am

Posts: 68

Bad Player wrote:
Within the game itself there really doesn't seem to be anything, but having played the first DLC episode, there does seem to be a contradiction with canon to me...

Spoiler:
During the main game, Maya says "Zvarri!" once, implying PLvAA takes place after 3-2. However, the first DLC episode takes place a year after PLvAA, and they say that Nick is still defending and whatnot, but Nick should be disbarred by then.

Spoiler:
Maya says zvarri? When? I guess that was lost in the translation, because I don't remember it.

I'm not English. Excuse my grammar errors.
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: America

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:21 am

Posts: 6

ThePaSch wrote:
I think PWvsAA takes place between AA1 and AA2.

Spoiler: Chapter 2 Ending
After Kira is burned, Phoenix mentions that he was always able to get a Not Guilty verdict. That, of course, was not the case in 2-4, where Matt Engarde was found guilty, which leads me to assume that it took place after AA1.

Besides, Phoenix seemed pretty... amateurish during the trial. Sure, it was out of his comfort zone and in a completely different universe with different laws and different methods, but Layton seemed to have to jump in a bit too often during key moments of the trial. Would make sense - it's AA1, the start of his career as a lawyer.


Edit: ...nevermind. If it is canon at all (which it is probably not), it takes place after AA3.

Spoiler: Chapter 3
Maya used the "Zvarri!" while out puzzling with Luke.


Yeah thats a hugeeee contradiction and oversight. That makes me question whether or not this is canon because he says and i quote "(So far we've always managed to pull off a win and get a "not guilty" verdict, but...)"
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: America

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:21 am

Posts: 6

ThePaSch wrote:
I think PWvsAA takes place between AA1 and AA2.

Spoiler: Chapter 2 Ending
After Kira is burned, Phoenix mentions that he was always able to get a Not Guilty verdict. That, of course, was not the case in 2-4, where Matt Engarde was found guilty, which leads me to assume that it took place after AA1.

Besides, Phoenix seemed pretty... amateurish during the trial. Sure, it was out of his comfort zone and in a completely different universe with different laws and different methods, but Layton seemed to have to jump in a bit too often during key moments of the trial. Would make sense - it's AA1, the start of his career as a lawyer.


Edit: ...nevermind. If it is canon at all (which it is probably not), it takes place after AA3.

Spoiler: Chapter 3
Maya used the "Zvarri!" while out puzzling with Luke.


Yeah thats a hugeeee contradiction and oversight. That makes me question whether or not this is canon because he says and i quote "(So far we've always managed to pull off a win and get a "not guilty" verdict, but...)"
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Posts: 71

SweetieBot wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
Within the game itself there really doesn't seem to be anything, but having played the first DLC episode, there does seem to be a contradiction with canon to me...

Spoiler:
During the main game, Maya says "Zvarri!" once, implying PLvAA takes place after 3-2. However, the first DLC episode takes place a year after PLvAA, and they say that Nick is still defending and whatnot, but Nick should be disbarred by then.

Spoiler:
Maya says zvarri? When? I guess that was lost in the translation, because I don't remember it.


Spoiler:
Image


Here, have a screencap. :edgey:
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I've vanished, like a ghooooost...

Gender: Female

Location: Unfortunately, in school...

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am

Posts: 583

Spoiler:
The fact that Maya says 'Zvarri' may or may not be a reference to Luke Atmey. Zvarri is a real word, you know, not just a catchphrase...
But I do see your point. Like I said, it MAY OR MAY NOT BE a reference. :luke-side:

I AM IN SCHOOL, SO IF I END UP NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN THAT'S WHY :larry:
For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Posts: 71

Hey yeah! :pearlshock: That means it could have happened anytime in the timeline and the special episode would make sense!
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

A Kirby and AA fan

Gender: Male

Location: The Netherlands

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm

Posts: 1032

TheBlackquillz wrote:
Spoiler:
The fact that Maya says 'Zvarri' may or may not be a reference to Luke Atmey. Zvarri is a real word, you know, not just a catchphrase...
But I do see your point. Like I said, it MAY OR MAY NOT BE a reference. :luke-side:

Spoiler: AA3-2
Zvarri is a real word? In what language and what does it mean? Because I've never heard of it before!
And besides, come now, even if Zvarri is a legitimate word, what are the odds that Maya caught on to that word and started using it before meeting Luke Atmey? I would say those chances are completely zero.

Image
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Y'know

Gender: None specified

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Posts: 787

They keep saying it might be treated as the next entry to both series, but I have a hard time taking that seriously...
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1631

Zvarri is mostly a catchphrase but it's also a play on real words. I believe it's mostly just a play on "Suvari" which is japanese for "look!" or something like that.

Anyhow, I don't view PLvsPWAA as canon. In fact I think for the majority of game franchises people take "canon" waaaay too seriously. Obviously it's there in AA123 and the others because it makes sense, but once it gets too far-fetched or is done too retroactively I tend to go "well, I don't think this is canon anymore". Layton and Phoenix Wright don't exist in the same universe outside of PLvsPWAA and I think the "Legal League of Attorneys" is stupid amongst other reasons I have to think that PLvsPWAA is just its own little thing.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Posts: 1166

linkenski wrote:
Layton and Phoenix Wright don't exist in the same universe outside of PLvsPWAA.

Funny that you say that, because that's exactly the point I try to make on the Wiki, but it seems splitting article on Phoenix to the article about Phoenix in the series and about Phoenix in PLvsPWAA didn't gain mych support.

Crap, almost no change I try to make there gets much support. Somehow regretful I don't really have a very free hand there...
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1631

I'm not a big fan of those Wiki's that can freely be changed by lots of people though. Anyone can just make up stuff that hasn't been confirmed. Which Reminds me, I edited the Aceattorney Wiki's voice-cast page for Dual Destinies because there is NO WAY IN HELL Troy Baker is Simon Blackquill, and Fulbright is obviously Travis Willingham and not whoever did Edgeworth. (Hinthint, i'm totally not making a point here.)
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Posts: 1166

Actually, I'm pretty certain such an edit made without sources would be immediately undone...
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Crushing on the prosecutors

Gender: Female

Location: My house

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:39 pm

Posts: 17

[quote="Bolt Storm"]The game works very hard to avoid references to the individual PL or AA games, but

Actually, Phoenix constantly quotes Godot...
"Er, wasn't she poisoned, by, um, poison?"
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

A Kirby and AA fan

Gender: Male

Location: The Netherlands

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm

Posts: 1032

I haven't really seen many of these quotes.
And even then, that would just be a part of Phoenix at that point (in the sense of, the character developed in such a way it learned from that experience) but it's not really much of an explicit reference, I believe. They're not explicitly and directly referring to Godot (or other things in other AA games).
...Well, aside from in that special episode, but that's as non-canon as you can get
Image
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

AH'M SIKED FOR F2!!1

Gender: Male

Location: A place.

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:43 pm

Posts: 365

It's also worth noting that Maya says Zvarri very often, and I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be something Luke Atmey invented.
Maybe I'll put something here someday. You never know...

Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, rather in their own dimension or otherwise.
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

I think the most important quote to look at if you were considering VS to take place in the AA universe is the one near the end when they're in the ruins and Maya says that the statues look a little like the ones from Hazakura temple.

So if you were to place it it would have to be between 3-5 and Phoenix's last trial. It actually kind of works with AAI when you consider Edgeworth in Europe in VS and then his return in AAI.

Of course, if I was to bet a lot of money on it I'd say they will never reference it in the main games and they don't consider it canon.

I used to get confused about how the "realistic" world of AA could be in the same place as the deliberate retro world of PL, but then again in AA why are we still using VHS tapes and Nokia phones in the year 2016? While not being deliberate, it technically sets AA up as a similar retro world as PL, even if not quite as dramatic (also, there are things like LCD screens in the later Layton games so even that is uneven).

So I think in the end, if you want it to be canon then it doesn't have a hard time becoming so and if you want it to be an unrelated side-story then everything works out that way too. I think the way they've constructed the game makes it so it can be as relevant to the series as you want it to be.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

The cape is self-fluttering

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2778

D.A. McCoy wrote:
I think the most important quote to look at if you were considering VS to take place in the AA universe is the one near the end when they're in the ruins and Maya says that the statues look a little like the ones from Hazakura temple.

So if you were to place it it would have to be between 3-5 and Phoenix's last trial. It actually kind of works with AAI when you consider Edgeworth in Europe in VS and then his return in AAI.


Did Maya specifically say Hazakura temple, or just say Ami Fey statue? If it's the latter, it could have happened as early as just after 3-2 (when Lordly Tailor had Ami's statue in the basement).

Quote:
I used to get confused about how the "realistic" world of AA could be in the same place as the deliberate retro world of PL, but then again in AA why are we still using VHS tapes and Nokia phones in the year 2016? While not being deliberate, it technically sets AA up as a similar retro world as PL, even if not quite as dramatic (also, there are things like LCD screens in the later Layton games so even that is uneven).


I just think of AA and PL as AU. My theory is that PL takes place in an alternate London where every decade from 1940 and 2020 exists simultaneously. It's the one puzzle Layton has not been able to solve.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

Jean Descole wrote:

Did Maya specifically say Hazakura temple, or just say Ami Fey statue? If it's the latter, it could have happened as early as just after 3-2 (when Lordly Tailor had Ami's statue in the basement).


She specifically mentioned Hazakura temple. I think she was talking about the ones by the furnace outside of the little training place where Maya is trapped in 3-5.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Any official news on Canon status?Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1631

I just see it as a neither canon nor non-canon. I've played it, so it happened and it's tied to the characters and AA universe up until T&T and its finale in a sense but I just don't think it matters if this is part of the same timeline as DD is in or not. I just see this as sort of a transparent extra-canon link, like a little filler case or something. We know it will never be refered to outside of fourth-wall breaks or self-referential humor in future games, so why think more about its canon status than that?
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Page 1 of 2 [ 43 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO