Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 36 posts ]
 


Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

A true gentleman always objects!

Gender: Male

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:42 am

Posts: 21

Has anyone completed Layton's Legacy? What do you think about it?
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Foolish foolhardy fools...

Gender: Female

Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Posts: 86

What, the Azran Legacies? No, but I do know what happens to Emmy and Descole.
I must confess, after watching both of those cutscenes and listening to the end song I shed a lot of tears, because I've loved Layton for years and it's actually what led me to re-discover Phoenix Wright. :larry: :larry: :larry:
Please don't hate meeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:18 pm

Posts: 101

Yes! except for arzan legacies. The US release date is this February I do wish feb would hurry up and get here faster! Cannot wait for this game! I did accidentally end up spoiling myself so I do know what happens. In short, I had no idea never saw any of it coming.
Image
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Location: The Land of Layton

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Posts: 846

I just finished it (no other Europeans still wandering about here?) and it's absolutely fantastic~!~!
Spoiler: Not a plot spoiler
The ending leads back in to the first game, though (it even says 'To be Continued' with an image of the Curious Village', so in that sense when you finish it you don't feel like it's the final installment in the Layton series. I suppose that really is the Lost Future. It's a brilliant game though, I loved every moment of it. The locations are GORGEOUS.

Image
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gardevoir lover

Gender: Male

Location: Puerto rico

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Posts: 2022

Midnight Jasper wrote:
I just finished it (no other Europeans still wandering about here?) and it's absolutely fantastic~!~!
Spoiler: Not a plot spoiler
The ending leads back in to the first game, though (it even says 'To be Continued' with an image of the Curious Village', so in that sense when you finish it you don't feel like it's the final installment in the Layton series. I suppose that really is the Lost Future. It's a brilliant game though, I loved every moment of it. The locations are GORGEOUS.

Unwound future, at least to me doesn't really feel like the end, maybe because it's the onky one i've played.
Image

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

An Enigma Among Humans

Gender: Male

Location: I'm at soup!

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Posts: 1068

Well...

Spoiler: Unwound Future Spoiler
At the end of the game, Luke sends a letter to Layton saying that there is something going on in the town that he moved into and asks the Professor to come and help. To which Layton looks out his window and the game says "To be continued...". This may mean that this is truly not the end of Layton, but from what I've seen this is the end of Layton. But at the same time it can't be bacause of the ending I just mentioned. So how else do you explain it?

Image
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

11 days until this comes out in the US! I'm looking forward to it.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

An Enigma Among Humans

Gender: Male

Location: I'm at soup!

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Posts: 1068

D.A. McCoy wrote:
11 days until this comes out in the US! I'm looking forward to it.


Wait... WWWWWHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?! :beef:
Image
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

Blood_fox5 wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:
11 days until this comes out in the US! I'm looking forward to it.


Wait... WWWWWHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?! :beef:


I'm talking about Azran Legacies, not PLvsAA.

Or were you just surprised about Azran Legacies?
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

An Enigma Among Humans

Gender: Male

Location: I'm at soup!

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Posts: 1068

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Blood_fox5 wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:
11 days until this comes out in the US! I'm looking forward to it.


Wait... WWWWWHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?! :beef:


I'm talking about Azran Legacies, not PLvsAA.

Or were you just surprised about Azran Legacies?


Oh, huhuhuhuhu. Sorry, I thought you were talking about PLvsPW. Sorry, should have read more carefully.
Image
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

Posts: 1582

Blood_fox5 wrote:

Oh, huhuhuhuhu. Sorry, I thought you were talking about PLvsPW. Sorry, should have read more carefully.


It's no problem. For us western fans, PLvsAA will be "Layton's Final Farewell", but in Japan (and when this topic was started) Azran Legacies came out after PLvsAA.
"I don't call it money anymore, I call it Fuel Units"
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

An awkward duck

Gender: Male

Location: Under your nose

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:53 am

Posts: 374

Largely, the way I feel about the prequel trilogy after finishing the game:

Miracle Mask > Last Specter > Azran Legacy

A bit of a disappointment after the interesting things that the Miracle Mask attempts and succeeds on. While the globetrotting portion seems interesting for the first 2 or 3 locations, it kind of drags out from there. Also, the plot...

Spoiler: Ending twist spoilers
Didn't the whole revelation about Layton being adopted and Descole being his brother have seemed to come out of nowhere? There was little to no foreshadowing to it whatsoever (maybe save a certain line from Layton's dad in the Miracle Mask) and it doesn't feel as if it contributed to anything that happens in the endgame.

Image
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Apologize to the funyarinpa!

Gender: Female

Location: Bristol, Rhode Island

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Posts: 158

Javadoze wrote:
Largely, the way I feel about the prequel trilogy after finishing the game:

Miracle Mask > Last Specter > Azran Legacy

A bit of a disappointment after the interesting things that the Miracle Mask attempts and succeeds on. While the globetrotting portion seems interesting for the first 2 or 3 locations, it kind of drags out from there. Also, the plot...

Spoiler: Ending twist spoilers
Didn't the whole revelation about Layton being adopted and Descole being his brother have seemed to come out of nowhere? There was little to no foreshadowing to it whatsoever (maybe save a certain line from Layton's dad in the Miracle Mask) and it doesn't feel as if it contributed to anything that happens in the endgame.


I personally haven't played it yet but I do own the game and spoiled almost the whole plot wayy before, like a week or two after it came out in Japan.

Spoiler: Azran Legacy
Yes, I do agree that Descole and Layton being brothers came out of nowhere. Not to mention that that plotline is a bit cliche. Two rivals/enimes are actually siblings and seperated when they were young? Come on, it's cliche. However I do still think that Descole giving Hershel his name so he can be adopted and happy is really sweet. :pearl: By the way, I know he was young, but in the cutscene he only seemed to be four or five years old, and that is old enough to not forget you brother, your real name, and something as important as your parents gone missing. I don't care what anyone says, he should deffinetly remember. I remember much less important things from when I was five years old.
Also about Emmy working for Targent, I happened to like that and at the same time did not. Some might argue that that was a big ol' surprise, I disagree. When I first met Emmy is Last Specter, I was suspicious or her. She was always taking pictures and gave me a bad first impression when she was all "You name is Hershel Layton. 34 years old. Became a professor at the age of 27. Capricorn, I just made that last part up, but you look like a capricorn! C'mon, stalker much? Certainly not the atitude for someone who wants to be an assitant. More for someone who did research for a organization like Targent.


By the way, I said I own the game and am I the only one who felt like Level-5 didn't put as much effort in this game as they did with the others? I'm not talking about the actual game itself, but rather it's box? Certainly not a big deal at all and I frankly do not care, but I still feel that they didn't put as much effort. This is the first (and last) game that EU and US have the same cover, and when the game came in the mail from Amazon I was like, "Damn, this seems lighter than usual." They didn't bother to do one of their nice drawings for the manual and instead used the same art that's on the box; and the reason why it was lighter was because they didn't bother with the manual and put it as a fold out paper rather than a thick booklet. Which is fine since you can get the manual one the 3DS once you put the gamecard in, and it uses less paper. But still, it still felt rushed to me despite the long gap between the EU and US release.

I am so sorry for the long post.
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

An Enigma Among Humans

Gender: Male

Location: I'm at soup!

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Posts: 1068

I don't remember anything from when I was 5 years old.
Image
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2777

Baia_74 wrote:
Javadoze wrote:
Largely, the way I feel about the prequel trilogy after finishing the game:

Miracle Mask > Last Specter > Azran Legacy

A bit of a disappointment after the interesting things that the Miracle Mask attempts and succeeds on. While the globetrotting portion seems interesting for the first 2 or 3 locations, it kind of drags out from there. Also, the plot...

Spoiler: Ending twist spoilers
Didn't the whole revelation about Layton being adopted and Descole being his brother have seemed to come out of nowhere? There was little to no foreshadowing to it whatsoever (maybe save a certain line from Layton's dad in the Miracle Mask) and it doesn't feel as if it contributed to anything that happens in the endgame.


I personally haven't played it yet but I do own the game and spoiled almost the whole plot wayy before, like a week or two after it came out in Japan.

Spoiler: Azran Legacy
Yes, I do agree that Descole and Layton being brothers came out of nowhere. Not to mention that that plotline is a bit cliche. Two rivals/enimes are actually siblings and seperated when they were young? Come on, it's cliche. However I do still think that Descole giving Hershel his name so he can be adopted and happy is really sweet. :pearl: By the way, I know he was young, but in the cutscene he only seemed to be four or five years old, and that is old enough to not forget you brother, your real name, and something as important as your parents gone missing. I don't care what anyone says, he should deffinetly remember. I remember much less important things from when I was five years old.
Also about Emmy working for Targent, I happened to like that and at the same time did not. Some might argue that that was a big ol' surprise, I disagree. When I first met Emmy is Last Specter, I was suspicious or her. She was always taking pictures and gave me a bad first impression when she was all "You name is Hershel Layton. 34 years old. Became a professor at the age of 27. Capricorn, I just made that last part up, but you look like a capricorn! C'mon, stalker much? Certainly not the atitude for someone who wants to be an assitant. More for someone who did research for a organization like Targent.




Spoiler: ranty mcrantrant
Well, part of me agrees that the adoption thing came out of nowhere... not the adoption itself, but everything tied to it. I could buy Layton being adopted... or Layton and Descole being brothers... or Descole being Bronev's long lost son... but all three "twists" together made it seem like they were digging hard for some serious drama.

On the other hand, wasn't there a movie based on the Ambrosia site? I haven't seen it, but I wonder if maybe there were more hints there about their relationship.

I felt more sad about Aurora being erased from existence than I did about Bronev's and Descole's tragic pasts (and damn, Bronev is a dick, stabbing what appeared to be a young girl in the heart so that he could get his prize), but I was glad to see Descole survive, and Layton showing a lot of wisdom about his relationships with all of his parents and extending an olive branch to a man who was both a victim and perpetrator.

On the topic of Descole, I don't know why I didn't realize right away who Sycamore really was. I did figure it out fairly early into the game (the first time a glare passed over his glasses), but damn, the butler should have tipped me off right away ...but then, it's been several months since I last played Miracle Mask, so I just didn't recall Descole having a butler.

On the topic of Layton, it's true that 4 or 5 seems a bit old to have forgotten parts of one's childhood that had an impact... but it's also possible that Layton's adoptive parents provided him with enough love and security that he just never had a reason to remember the traumatic parts of his childhood. He was always looking forward, not backward... except in the case of the Azran, of course. Okay, and he may have had some inner drama and guilt about Randall.

Emmy being a spy actually did shock me, but it was good to see she was at least conflicted about some of it. In the end, she wanted Layton to slap a little sense into "Uncle Leon." Her goodbyes with Layton and Luke were bittersweet.


I kind of felt like they were lazy with the puzzles this time. Not so much what type of puzzle they used, but the repeated puzzles, it was like they weren't even trying anymore. "Oh hey! Help
Spoiler:
Aurora
across the lake! Part 2! Even though this person is already across the lake at this point!" or "Figure out what string pulls the bear! Even though this sequel doesn't have the clever twist the first puzzle did!"

I did like the mini-games, even though the women of Azran Legacy are seriously fucking fashion-challenged. I will admit a couple of the outfits were cute.

I accidentally did spoil something for myself in completing the mini-games ahead of time, hilariously enough. When a certain Layton's challenges section opened, I found out that
Spoiler:
Descole joins your party at least briefly
so when I reached that part of the game, I was already familiar with that puzzle.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Apologize to the funyarinpa!

Gender: Female

Location: Bristol, Rhode Island

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Posts: 158

Adrian in black wrote:
Spoiler: ranty mcrantrant
Well, part of me agrees that the adoption thing came out of nowhere... not the adoption itself, but everything tied to it. I could buy Layton being adopted... or Layton and Descole being brothers... or Descole being Bronev's long lost son... but all three "twists" together made it seem like they were digging hard for some serious drama.

On the other hand, wasn't there a movie based on the Ambrosia site? I haven't seen it, but I wonder if maybe there were more hints there about their relationship.



Spoiler: Eternal Diva
Before I say anything else, let me just say that the movie about Ambrosia also didn't have any hints about Layton and Descole's relationship. In fact, the movie really makes Descole kind of... blood hungry? Oh gosh it sounds like I'm talking about a vampire movie... For instance Layton builds this little flying boat thingy and basically a part of Descole's machine rams into the side of it and blows it up with Layton still in it and Descole laughs like he doesn't give a shit. Then in another scene Hershel figures out something and Descole gets pissed and charges at him with a sword screaming his name. Reminded me of Last Specter when Descole was throwing these huge cinder block like things at Layton, Emmy, and Luke. I don't know about anyone else but it certainly doesn't show any "brotherly love"like Descole showed when he was a kid and in some really short moments in Azran Legacy.
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2777

Baia_74 wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:
Spoiler: ranty mcrantrant
Well, part of me agrees that the adoption thing came out of nowhere... not the adoption itself, but everything tied to it. I could buy Layton being adopted... or Layton and Descole being brothers... or Descole being Bronev's long lost son... but all three "twists" together made it seem like they were digging hard for some serious drama.

On the other hand, wasn't there a movie based on the Ambrosia site? I haven't seen it, but I wonder if maybe there were more hints there about their relationship.



Spoiler: Eternal Diva
Before I say anything else, let me just say that the movie about Ambrosia also didn't have any hints about Layton and Descole's relationship. In fact, the movie really makes Descole kind of... blood hungry? Oh gosh it sounds like I'm talking about a vampire movie... For instance Layton builds this little flying boat thingy and basically a part of Descole's machine rams into the side of it and blows it up with Layton still in it and Descole laughs like he doesn't give a shit. Then in another scene Hershel figures out something and Descole gets pissed and charges at him with a sword screaming his name. Reminded me of Last Specter when Descole was throwing these huge cinder block like things at Layton, Emmy, and Luke. I don't know about anyone else but it certainly doesn't show any "brotherly love"like Descole showed when he was a kid and in some really short moments in Azran Legacy.


Spoiler:
Really? Oh well... left field it is.

I'm guessing that either Descole would have settled for any kind of contact with Layton, even if it was by destructive means, or else he ended up giving more of a shit about the Azran (or in his case, destroying it) than reuniting his own family. Like father, like son?

I don't suppose they mentioned anything about Descole having a dead wife and kid, either? Or was that something Sycamore made up?

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Apologize to the funyarinpa!

Gender: Female

Location: Bristol, Rhode Island

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Posts: 158

Adrian in black wrote:

Spoiler:
Really? Oh well... left field it is.

I'm guessing that either Descole would have settled for any kind of contact with Layton, even if it was by destructive means, or else he ended up giving more of a shit about the Azran (or in his case, destroying it) than reuniting his own family. Like father, like son?

I don't suppose they mentioned anything about Descole having a dead wife and kid, either? Or was that something Sycamore made up?


Spoiler:
True, but what if he accidently ended up killing Hershel? That would suck just for some kind of contact. When I first heard about the dead wife and kid thing I thought that Sycamore made it up but according to then wikia when another family adopted him and gave him the name Desmond Sycamore he later really did get married and had a daughter and they both died for unknown reasons. Great, now I feel even more bad for him than I did before.
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title

Gender: Female

Location: Númenor... but that's gone.

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Posts: 34

Adrian in black wrote:
Spoiler:
Really? Oh well... left field it is.

I'm guessing that either Descole would have settled for any kind of contact with Layton, even if it was by destructive means, or else he ended up giving more of a shit about the Azran (or in his case, destroying it) than reuniting his own family. Like father, like son?

I don't suppose they mentioned anything about Descole having a dead wife and kid, either? Or was that something Sycamore made up?


Spoiler:
Descole does have a dead wife and daughter. In one of the episodes, he's talking to Aurora about them.

Image
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2777

Baia_74 wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:

Spoiler:
Really? Oh well... left field it is.

I'm guessing that either Descole would have settled for any kind of contact with Layton, even if it was by destructive means, or else he ended up giving more of a shit about the Azran (or in his case, destroying it) than reuniting his own family. Like father, like son?

I don't suppose they mentioned anything about Descole having a dead wife and kid, either? Or was that something Sycamore made up?


Spoiler:
True, but what if he accidently ended up killing Hershel? That would suck just for some kind of contact. When I first heard about the dead wife and kid thing I thought that Sycamore made it up but according to then wikia when another family adopted him and gave him the name Desmond Sycamore he later really did get married and had a daughter and they both died for unknown reasons. Great, now I feel even more bad for him than I did before.


Spoiler:
Well, if he'd killed Hershel, that would've put an end to the games. Ha. No, but seriously, it's hard to say what was going on in the man's mind. We're supposed to think he's some heartless dick obsessed with the Azran, but he suddenly puts himself in harm's way in order to protect Luke. Obviously I can't speak for the man, but I like to think (since they went and dropped the damn brothers bomb) that he was conflicted about what he was doing, from time to time.



Erulissë wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:
Spoiler:
Really? Oh well... left field it is.

I'm guessing that either Descole would have settled for any kind of contact with Layton, even if it was by destructive means, or else he ended up giving more of a shit about the Azran (or in his case, destroying it) than reuniting his own family. Like father, like son?

I don't suppose they mentioned anything about Descole having a dead wife and kid, either? Or was that something Sycamore made up?


Spoiler:
Descole does have a dead wife and daughter. In one of the episodes, he's talking to Aurora about them.

Spoiler:
Yeah, you're right. I had to watch it again, but he did repeat the line to Aurora as Descole. But like the bombshell about Layton's adoption, and Layton, Descole, and Bronev all being related, it seemed to come out of nowhere. And it didn't help that the details were vague. But I can see now he wasn't making it up.

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

What did he do this time...?

Gender: Male

Location: On trial

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:05 am

Posts: 260

@ Adrian in Black
Spoiler:
Descole wanting to kill Layton doesn't make a lot of sense... but there are two reasons why I can think why he would.
1: Descole needs to remove Layton because if Layton discovers the Azran wonders, Targent will be one step behind him. If he removes Layton, Targent will not be able to follow Descole in his conquest of the Azran wonders. (If this were true, it would be subverted in the movie because Descole actually found the island of Ambrosia before anyone else did. Descole's motives in the movie make no sense.)
2: In the profiles section in the bonus area, Descole's profile says that "If Sycamore represents the man's hope, then Descole is the manifestation of his despair."
Perhaps Descole is in such madness and despair that he attempts to take out Layton. The only two times he attempts to take Layton's life is during the robot chase in the last specter and the giant-robot in the Eternal Diva. Perhaps in both moments Descole is so close to achieving his plan that he will kill Layton to fulfill his goals.

-Also, one other thing that didn't make sense... in the Miracle Mask, after Bronev steps out of his car, says: "This is perfect weather for a day of world domination." Awesome quote, but he never actually wanted world domination. He would do anything to accomplish his goal, but his goal was to discover the Azran for their scientific breakthroughs and technology. (Apparently in the UK version, Bronev does not say this line. That makes sense.)


And for those who have played and finished Dual Destinies and Azran Legacies....
Spoiler:
Man... it's now twice that I've been completely fooled. Typically I can point out who's the murderer/villain in disguise, but I've been tricked badly twice in a row. First, Detective Fulbright completely came out of nowhere and turned out to be the Phantom. I also didn't see Emmy being a Targent mole coming, not at all. I felt betrayed. Seriously. They did a good job of foreshadowing Emmy's betrayal but really should have foreshadowed about Descole's and Bronev's true identities.


And also to whoever said that Level 5 was lazy for not making an instruction manual, it's basically a standard now for 3DS games to have an electronic manual. There is a 25 page manual in the Azran Legacies cartridge itself. (Albeit I do prefer the physical copies. :bellboy: )
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2777

Danchat wrote:
@ Adrian in Black
Spoiler:
-Also, one other thing that didn't make sense... in the Miracle Mask, after Bronev steps out of his car, says: "This is perfect weather for a day of world domination." Awesome quote, but he never actually wanted world domination. He would do anything to accomplish his goal, but his goal was to discover the Azran for their scientific breakthroughs and technology. (Apparently in the UK version, Bronev does not say this line. That makes sense.)


Spoiler:
Well now, that is interesting. I wonder if the line was present in the Japanese version? Makes me wonder if it is a localization issue, or if the story writers weren't thinking that far ahead at the time.

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:33 am

Posts: 5

Adrian in black wrote:
Danchat wrote:
@ Adrian in Black
Spoiler:
-Also, one other thing that didn't make sense... in the Miracle Mask, after Bronev steps out of his car, says: "This is perfect weather for a day of world domination." Awesome quote, but he never actually wanted world domination. He would do anything to accomplish his goal, but his goal was to discover the Azran for their scientific breakthroughs and technology. (Apparently in the UK version, Bronev does not say this line. That makes sense.)


Spoiler:
Well now, that is interesting. I wonder if the line was present in the Japanese version? Makes me wonder if it is a localization issue, or if the story writers weren't thinking that far ahead at the time.


Spoiler:
The line wasn't in the japanese version. So I guessing a localization issue.
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

A Seeker of Truth

Gender: Male

Location: Canada

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:04 pm

Posts: 326

Just finished the game, and I must say it was a fantastic conclusion :phoenix: Played with my emotions a fair bit though...

Spoiler: Don't read if you haven't beaten the game
What with Emmy being a semi-traitor (when she held that ice knife to Luke's throat, I felt like I had been stabbed in the heart), Descole's backstory (which, by the way, helped turn him from detestable to someone likable in my books. Plus, I like the things he says after solving puzzles; it made me laugh), the twist about Bronev being Hershel's biological father, Aurora dying/disappearing and of course, Emmy quitting her post as position after the credits. SO MANY FEEEEEEEEEEEEEELS! :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: I may be a man, but I admit I shed a few tears near the end of the game; I just felt so dang attached to essentially the entire cast at the end of it, I just liked them all so much, a lot of their stories were tragic, and there was no real 'bad guy' in the whole bunch, really.


I think this game may NARROWLY beat out Unwound Future in my books in terms of favorite Layton games, but only by a bit. Personally, I still hope that more games come out after this; I just enjoy the series too much and feel too attached to the cast to simply forget about them that easily :larry: Ah well though, if no other games do get made with Layton as the protagonist (though I could imagine a series starring an adult Luke Triton :phoenix: ), at least we still have the Layton Brothers series (or at least I hope it'll turn out to become one) to tide us fans over :trucy:
Jeremiah 29:11-“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I've vanished, like a ghooooost...

Gender: Female

Location: Unfortunately, in school...

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am

Posts: 583

Spoiler:
I disagree with some of the other posts on here early on about how the whole brother thing is totally random(don't feel like quoting them), so listen up. Descole says in a cutscene in Last Specter (Spectre's Call for all you Brits) that "Fate is so... interesting sometimes." Also, the fact that he knows pretty much everything about Prof. Layton is a big hint. ALSO... Layton says that the name Descole is familiar to him somehow. ALSO... The fact that Descole has only been using Layton to fulfill his plans suggests that Descole had no intention of leaving that fact unsaid.
JUST SAYIN'

I AM IN SCHOOL, SO IF I END UP NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN THAT'S WHY :larry:
For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gardevoir lover

Gender: Male

Location: Puerto rico

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Posts: 2022

TheBlackquillz wrote:
Spoiler:
I disagree with some of the other posts on here early on about how the whole brother thing is totally random(don't feel like quoting them), so listen up. Descole says in a cutscene in Last Specter (Spectre's Call for all you Brits) that "Fate is so... interesting sometimes." Also, the fact that he knows pretty much everything about Prof. Layton is a big hint. ALSO... Layton says that the name Descole is familiar to him somehow. ALSO... The fact that Descole has only been using Layton to fulfill his plans suggests that Descole had no intention of leaving that fact unsaid.
JUST SAYIN'

I've been wondering something about that.
Spoiler:
Why does Layton think the name Descole sounds familiar? I don't think he heard the name before at all, maybe he just meant the person though.

Image

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I've vanished, like a ghooooost...

Gender: Female

Location: Unfortunately, in school...

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am

Posts: 583

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
TheBlackquillz wrote:
Spoiler:
I disagree with some of the other posts on here early on about how the whole brother thing is totally random(don't feel like quoting them), so listen up. Descole says in a cutscene in Last Specter (Spectre's Call for all you Brits) that "Fate is so... interesting sometimes." Also, the fact that he knows pretty much everything about Prof. Layton is a big hint. ALSO... Layton says that the name Descole is familiar to him somehow. ALSO... The fact that Descole has only been using Layton to fulfill his plans suggests that Descole had no intention of leaving that fact unsaid.
JUST SAYIN'

I've been wondering something about that.
Spoiler:
Why does Layton think the name Descole sounds familiar? I don't think he heard the name before at all, maybe he just meant the person though.

Not sure... Although, Emmy has stated before that the Professor has a bad memory, so maybe he had a run-in with Descole before but just doesn't remember it?
Layton, why you so confusing?
I AM IN SCHOOL, SO IF I END UP NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN THAT'S WHY :larry:
For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2777

TheBlackquillz wrote:
I disagree with some of the other posts on here early on about how the whole brother thing is totally random(don't feel like quoting them), so listen up.


Well, I'll be quoting yours in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Descole says in a cutscene in Last Specter (Spectre's Call for all you Brits) that "Fate is so... interesting sometimes."


A completely vague statement that could apply to anything.

Quote:
Also, the fact that he knows pretty much everything about Prof. Layton is a big hint.


There are other ways of obtaining information on someone else. Emmy was a spy, Layton's adoptive parents are not exactly hidden from the world, any friends of Layton might have dropped some information that prompted further research. And as a professor, he was pretty well known around London.

Quote:
ALSO... Layton says that the name Descole is familiar to him somehow.


Well, unless young Hershel (Descole) was using the name to play make-believe at one point in his young life, there's nothing to suggest why Layton would have found the name familiar.

Quote:
ALSO... The fact that Descole has only been using Layton to fulfill his plans suggests that Descole had no intention of leaving that fact unsaid.


I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Anyway, I'm not saying none of this hints towards some big reveal... I'm just saying it ONLY hints toward some big reveal. Not the "Layton and Descole are brothers, and Bronev is their dad!" thing. There are no real clues that any of it is pointing toward the familial relationship between three men. Bronev wasn't secretly hiding a small picture of his broken family in his shirt pocket. Descole never indicated the closeness he and Layton once had as children. And it's not like Layton carried around some special token from his big brother and looked back on it longingly from time to time. He had completely forgotten about his own brother! Oh sure, he had his name, but there was no reason to even suspect it came from someone else. There are no flashbacks about the matter until the very end.

This is why I don't like the reveal. It's no better than the lame daily horoscope or fortune-telling website/number that lays down just enough details to intrigue the person reading it, but keeps it vague enough so that if anything during their day happens, they can just point back at the horoscope and go "aha! See, it totally happened!" They think they're being clever by throwing it out of left field, but it's just lazy writing. Which just makes me think that maybe they had a vague idea of how they wanted the Descole/Layton thing to play out but only figured it out by the end.

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I've vanished, like a ghooooost...

Gender: Female

Location: Unfortunately, in school...

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am

Posts: 583

Sierra Mikain wrote:
TheBlackquillz wrote:
I disagree with some of the other posts on here early on about how the whole brother thing is totally random(don't feel like quoting them), so listen up.


Well, I'll be quoting yours in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Descole says in a cutscene in Last Specter (Spectre's Call for all you Brits) that "Fate is so... interesting sometimes."


A completely vague statement that could apply to anything.

Quote:
Also, the fact that he knows pretty much everything about Prof. Layton is a big hint.


There are other ways of obtaining information on someone else. Emmy was a spy, Layton's adoptive parents are not exactly hidden from the world, any friends of Layton might have dropped some information that prompted further research. And as a professor, he was pretty well known around London.

Quote:
ALSO... Layton says that the name Descole is familiar to him somehow.


Well, unless young Hershel (Descole) was using the name to play make-believe at one point in his young life, there's nothing to suggest why Layton would have found the name familiar.

Quote:
ALSO... The fact that Descole has only been using Layton to fulfill his plans suggests that Descole had no intention of leaving that fact unsaid.


I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Anyway, I'm not saying none of this hints towards some big reveal... I'm just saying it ONLY hints toward some big reveal. Not the "Layton and Descole are brothers, and Bronev is their dad!" thing. There are no real clues that any of it is pointing toward the familial relationship between three men. Bronev wasn't secretly hiding a small picture of his broken family in his shirt pocket. Descole never indicated the closeness he and Layton once had as children. And it's not like Layton carried around some special token from his big brother and looked back on it longingly from time to time. He had completely forgotten about his own brother! Oh sure, he had his name, but there was no reason to even suspect it came from someone else. There are no flashbacks about the matter until the very end.

This is why I don't like the reveal. It's no better than the lame daily horoscope or fortune-telling website/number that lays down just enough details to intrigue the person reading it, but keeps it vague enough so that if anything during their day happens, they can just point back at the horoscope and go "aha! See, it totally happened!" They think they're being clever by throwing it out of left field, but it's just lazy writing. Which just makes me think that maybe they had a vague idea of how they wanted the Descole/Layton thing to play out but only figured it out by the end.


I see your point... Wow, that made me rethink the whole game. I don't even have a comeback for that, although my original post was written really quickly so I don't understand half of the stuff I wrote either.

Good one. Hats off to you. :gant-clap:
I AM IN SCHOOL, SO IF I END UP NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN THAT'S WHY :larry:
For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Kevin Wright: Ace Attorney

Gender: Male

Location: Wright and Co. Law Offices

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Posts: 44

Spoiler: Last Specter
The only reference that we get to Layton and Descole knowing each before the series is when they first meet Layton says he seems familiar.

Kevin Ace Attorney Image Image
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title

The dwarf geeky panda!

Gender: Female

Location: Where am I?

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:10 am

Posts: 385

Am I the only one who wish to see a game featuring Luke or Layton and his son?

Also I beated Azran Legacy lately and I must say that I find it weird that Emmy and Sycamore are so friendly toward each other.

Spoiler:
Since they probably recognize each other and did she knew Sycamore was Descole? Were they puting an act this whole time?

Please don't hit me...


Last edited by Shao-Mae on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Y'know

Gender: None specified

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Posts: 787

Well, technically, there is a game featuring Layton's son.
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gardevoir lover

Gender: Male

Location: Puerto rico

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Posts: 2022

Nearavex wrote:
Well, technically, there is a game featuring Layton's son.

I want to see more of that pair.
Image

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2777

Might want to fix that spoiler tag there, Shao.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I'm not mad! I...I'm just angry.

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2777

I've been playing this again recently and though I'm still somewhat disappointed with the puzzle collection, the story has grown on me.

And despite the left-field plot twists and (what I thought before to be) inconsistent characterization, I think I'm starting to understand Descole's character. But probably only just a little.

Spoiler:
Now that I've seen Eternal Diva, it kind of makes sense that Jean Descole is so aggressively batshit and Desmond Sycamore is a kind, gentle soul, especially with the descriptions in Azran Legacy.

If Desmond Sycamore was the original man who occasionally entertained the notion of revenge against Targent and the Azran, I could see him giving into despair once his happiness was taken away. The aggression and violence Descole displays in Eternal Diva seems so over-the-top, I have to wonder if he is forcing it at times since he feels he has nothing else. Kind of like how one would grab on tightly to what they have left when they lose something important in their lives, even if they don't realize this is what they are doing. Of course, Descole always had revenge in mind, but it was something to return to when tragedy struck once again.

I wonder what was going on in his mind all those times he faced off against Layton... did he feel some resentment towards his younger brother, whose life turned out much better? Did he regret the decision he made that day, letting the Laytons adopt Theodore instead? Did he enjoy any of the time he spent with Layton as Sycamore, bonding with him as a fellow professor and friendly rival? Though he says he was only using Layton, was he really faking everything once he stepped back into Sycamore's skin?

Don't mind me, these are just questions that are swirling in my mind right now. Truthfully, I'm fighting the urge to take them to fanfiction.

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Layton's Final Farewell?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I've vanished, like a ghooooost...

Gender: Female

Location: Unfortunately, in school...

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am

Posts: 583

Nymeria wrote:
Spoiler:
Now that I've seen Eternal Diva, it kind of makes sense that Jean Descole is so aggressively batshit and Desmond Sycamore is a kind, gentle soul, especially with the descriptions in Azran Legacy.

If Desmond Sycamore was the original man who occasionally entertained the notion of revenge against Targent and the Azran, I could see him giving into despair once his happiness was taken away. The aggression and violence Descole displays in Eternal Diva seems so over-the-top, I have to wonder if he is forcing it at times since he feels he has nothing else. Kind of like how one would grab on tightly to what they have left when they lose something important in their lives, even if they don't realize this is what they are doing. Of course, Descole always had revenge in mind, but it was something to return to when tragedy struck once again.

I wonder what was going on in his mind all those times he faced off against Layton... did he feel some resentment towards his younger brother, whose life turned out much better? Did he regret the decision he made that day, letting the Laytons adopt Theodore instead? Did he enjoy any of the time he spent with Layton as Sycamore, bonding with him as a fellow professor and friendly rival? Though he says he was only using Layton, was he really faking everything once he stepped back into Sycamore's skin?

Don't mind me, these are just questions that are swirling in my mind right now. Truthfully, I'm fighting the urge to take them to fanfiction.

Spoiler:
See, here's the thing. Compare the times that Descole is mad in the games to the ones in Eternal Diva, and your result is that Descole's whole demeanor has changed from game to movie. That may be a result of the voice actor change (which I still dislike), but still... I mean, I can understand that he probably spent major cash on the whole castle/robot thing, and he spent so much time on the songs only to see that he missed one must be frustrating, but so is not being able to find the Golden Garden and spending a whole buncha money on the Specters! In the Last Specter, he calmly explains his plan, says that he failed, and quite calmly tries to destroy Misthallery. Quite. Calmly. Then when that plan fails too, he shrugs it off with a "hmph" and tells Layton this won't be the last we see of him. QUITE. A. PUZZLE.

As for the whole Desmond/Descole feelings thing, I'm quite sure that he meant every single nice thing he said as Sycamore. He probably didn't even resent Layton for being successful, because his true target was the Azran and Targent all along. He simply used Layton's talents and success to his benefit. And, as shown when he is like half dying after trying to protect Luke, he says this... "I... wanted to get back at them for taking our parents from us, for ruining our lives..." Note he says OUR lives, OUR parents. He truly does still feel affection for his little brother. (And not in a gay way)

Rant over. Sorry, but I just had to rant on for a bit, y'know. Get all that outta my system.

I AM IN SCHOOL, SO IF I END UP NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN THAT'S WHY :larry:
For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
Page 1 of 1 [ 36 posts ] 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO