Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 3 of 5[ 161 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 


Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Posts: 970

I'm just going to reply to you all at random. I've never liked this forum's quoting system.

Yet we still don't know WHEN Mr. Takumi heard about Phoenix being the protagonist, so this is all pointless speculation. Even if they have some strict policies even among developers, all he'd need to hear would be Phoenix's name and the word "protagonist" used in the same sentence, more or less.

And oh yes, I still don't understand how Dangan Ronpa became so popular when it's rather...obnoxious (god that soundtrack is awful). However, whenever I play one of Mr. Yamazaki's games, all I can see are cases attempting to be far more dramatic, engaging and better written than they actually are, and that he's proud of the fact that his cases are much more "hardcore", even though they aren't; whoever hyped Dual Destinies for being "dark" obviously didn't play Apollo Justice. A game isn't dark simply because it tells you it is. If you want dark games, go play Majora's Mask.

Spoiler: Dual Destinies and minor PLvsAA
First of all, while funny and unexpected, Robin's gender confusion makes no sense, and I doubt it's because of cultural barriers. The problem is that it's not even made relevant in the case and no reasonable excuse is ever given; sure, it was a woman's voice we heard on the recording, but they quickly decided she couldn't be the culprit anyway. Oh well, I could accept it playing only a minor part in the case if we were at least given a good excuse, like Robin WANTING to be a man or something, which makes more sense and it's a much more sympathetic excuse.

Secondly, with the parrot, it's not a central theme dragging on for the entirety of the case; it's one cross examination and one or two cute references, and that's that. There's simply no comparison between how well it was handled compared to the orca nonsense.


And oh yes, timezones sure make things difficult over here...that and the lack of liquorice.
Image
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1544

linkenski wrote:
The whole "Expecting you to laugh" thing is so true. I've often thought that as well; Just didn't have the right way to put it

Isn't that the whole point of a joke? To make someone laugh? :ron: Whether or not Takumi or Yamazaki's jokes are funnier (spoiler alert. The answer is Takumi), the jokes are still written to make people laugh
linkenski wrote:
You missed the last bit of my statement. I said: "It's cheap to live off of ideas already used once as a central element for every case. Takumi did use several of his ideas more than once, but he never made the whole case revolve around them, at least not AFAIK.

Well, Nick's disbarment was kind of the central thing in Case 4 of AJ (and it was a replica of 3-4). The murder being a locked room in 5-2 or the murder following a script in 5-3 is not the central part of the case, so then those ideas are ok to reuse?

Quote:
Also reusing the Parrot thing still makes more sense than trying to do the same idea twice but with a whale instead because it doesn't make any sense compared to using a parrot which can actually speak. Also in PLvsPWAA it made perfect sense considering
Spoiler:
Luke can talk to animals


Well, you don't actually have to cross-examine the orca. If you figure out what to do immediately, you just end it

Quote:
Also, regarding 5-2 vs. 2-2 and the locked-room murder: Hidden Chamber = Channeling Chamber. The similarity is glaring, and both use the "Only unlockable with the key from the inside"

Also, like I said, Phoenix even comments on it day-2 in DD, saying "I had a similar case once, but that had a prosecutor throwing her whip rather than throwing katanas" or something like that. Acknowledging the similarity doesn't mean it's passable IMO. Not for me.

But that's like every locked room murder mystery ever? The similarity isn't that glaring to me. Locked room murders are some of the most common murder mysteries ever. The similarity doesn't seem glaring just because they both have the word chamber. Phoenix lampshades it as a way of saying to the players, "Here's a quick reference to a past case for ya!"

Quote:

PS. Hey wait... Monroe did you seriously say that my Aladdin comparison was fitting because DD is the game with better OST? OMGOSH, If you think PLvsPWAA has a worse soundtrack than DD, then we're two completely seperate beings!

I think Dual Destinies has a better soundtrack than the previous games (except GK2). I wasn't referrring to the PLvAA soundtrack. Though, I might as well give my thoughts on that while I'm here.

I'm not a fan. I'm withholding some of my criticisms because the themes always improve with context, but I would've loved for them to make an original soundtrack instead of just remixing all of the themes from the old one (especially since I don't like PW's soundtrack in comparison to the other AA games). I was getting excited to hear a new "Objection!" theme or "Won the Lawsuit!" or "Cross Examination" but they're exactly the same as the original game's

(And yes, I realize this is somewhat contradictory considering I loved Phoenix Wright's objection theme from Dual Destinies, despite it being a remix from T&T. The difference is that the Objection theme from DD changed so much that it doesn't even sound like the same song besides going through the same patterns. The moment I hear any remixed theme from PLvAA, I immediately know what song they're remixing)

Pursuit ~ Casting Magic is incredible, though

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Nothing is confirmed at this point, so I had to say "a good degree of certainty" rather than just "with certainty". Nonetheless, from one earlier announcement, Eshiro did say they had GK3 planned, and by Takumi's announcement of a new game, they had the next title in the works. There's no sign of GS6 having been brought up yet, so I'm going to set it aside until some real news comes along.

Oh, ok. I wasn't aware there was any news about GK3 yet. I'm glad to hear it, though
Thane wrote:
I'm glad someone likes Mr. Yamakazi('s writing, I'm not bashing his person here) because I have a hard time accepting him as a substitute for Mr. Takumi, to say the least. I find the spin-offs downright boring and Dual Destinies was only decent, although it was clear that the man tried his best to deliver the classic Ace Attorney spirit, so I give him credit for that. However, there's just something in his writing that puts me off...he's like the testosterone cannon of the story-based game industry.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you why I like the spin-offs or Dual Destinies. I guess I just have fun playing them. The same reason you can't pinpoint exactly what puts you off is why I can't explain why I like it

But to be fair to him, I don't think he tries to make his stories "big and epic" for the sake of trying to be pretentious or best Takumi. I don't even think he's proud of how "hardcore" they are. I think it's just easier for him to write a mystery while it's easier for Takumi to throw in emotional involvement. He just does what comes to him

Thane wrote:
whoever hyped Dual Destinies for being "dark" obviously didn't play Apollo Justice. A game isn't dark simply because it tells you it is. If you want dark games, go play Majora's Mask.

So, basically, Dual Destinies is to Twilight Princess what Apollo Justice was to Majora's Mask? (I actually think Wind Waker is the scariest, though, because of that giant damn bird)
Spoiler: Dual Destinies/Twilight Princess
Image
Image

Spoiler: Majora's Mask/Apollo Justice
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUUOVls2GkM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=knLCbS02T1Y

(Seriously. When I first heard the Thrill Theme, I couldn't sleep that night. I got shivers and was actually scared of Kristoph. Both games also used setting well, as Apollo Justice's courtroom was darker than the original trilogy)
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Posts: 970

JesusMonroe, don't you know anyone who occasionally makes a good joke and then ruins it by either telling it several times again/explaining why it's so funny? I think that'd be an apt comparison. Well, either that, or it's like showing your friends a hilarious video on youtube and they don't even smile and you start promising them that "It'll get better I swear!".

Whether or not you have to cross examine the orca is actually not relevant. Not only do you see it coming right from the onset, but the "hype" of cross examining the orca is just annoying and not fun at all, and it feels less like a tribute to the parrot in 1-4 and more like building a shrine to its glory.

Well I can explain why I don't like the spin-offs somewhat well, although it'll not be the most eloquent of arguments or cohesive of lists: bloated character cast, boring writing lacking any form of subtlety, Kay, Edgeworth hanging around Kay, people constantly praising Edgeworth and his logic as if it were some kind of superpower and far too convoluted cases, to name a few things.

I get that his style is different, but if he's inheriting a very beloved video game franchise like that, then he really should try and reconsider his approach. Like I said, I think he did do his best in delivering the old Ace Attorney spirit, but I still question a lot of his choices, but we've debated about that numerous times already. Also, I would argue that 5-5's blatant copy of 1-5 shows a rather disturbing lack of respect towards the "source material", if you will, as if he thinks he could re-tell the story way better himself. Well, we all know how that went.

That...that simile is absolutely perfect. If I had a hat, I would most certainly tip it. Slightly (read: very) off topic, but I rather liked Twilight Princess; sure, it's too similar to Ocarina of Time and it tried too hard to be gritty (if only the old design of the Twilight was used instead of that sickening pallet of colors), but with the amazing soundtrack (apparent in most/all Zelda games), Midna and some very good ideas, puzzles and boss fights, I don't understand all the hate it gets. Sure, it's no Majora's Mask, but what game is? Hell ,if there's one console Zelda game I have a hard time with it's the Wind Waker, since I don't really like most dungeons and finding the triforce parts is an artificial way to increase the game's length, and it becomes a chore and nothing more.
Image
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1544

Thane wrote:
JesusMonroe, don't you know anyone who occasionally makes a good joke and then ruins it by either telling it several times again/explaining why it's so funny? I think that'd be an apt comparison. Well, either that, or it's like showing your friends a hilarious video on youtube and they don't even smile and you start promising them that "It'll get better I swear!".

Whether or not you have to cross examine the orca is actually not relevant. Not only do you see it coming right from the onset, but the "hype" of cross examining the orca is just annoying and not fun at all, and it feels less like a tribute to the parrot in 1-4 and more like building a shrine to its glory.

Ah, I see your point

Quote:
Well I can explain why I don't like the spin-offs somewhat well, although it'll not be the most eloquent of arguments or cohesive of lists: bloated character cast, boring writing lacking any form of subtlety, Kay, Edgeworth hanging around Kay, people constantly praising Edgeworth and his logic as if it were some kind of superpower and far too convoluted cases, to name a few things.

I agree with you on the bloated character cast. I actually love Kay, though, even if many are tired of the teenage assistant trope (I know I sound like a broken record). I think she's pretty funny, has a great design, and is the most useful out of all the assistants (yet she still leaves enough work to Edgey so it's not sue-ish). Edgeworth had to investigate with Kay in Case 3 because he was stuck with her and didn't have another option. In Case 5, he actually needs her to end it all. Why does she hang around after that? I kind of thought Edgeworth just liked her company (evident by Case 4 in GK2)

I agree that the Edgeworth praising can get annoying but I think it was intentional. They wanted to make him different enough from Phoenix. If everybody snarked at him and didn't take him seriously, he'd be the same character. Plus, he's a highly respected Prosecutor, so it's not a huge stretch

Quote:
I get that his style is different, but if he's inheriting a very beloved video game franchise like that, then he really should try and reconsider his approach. Like I said, I think he did do his best in delivering the old Ace Attorney spirit, but I still question a lot of his choices, but we've debated about that numerous times already. Also, I would argue that 5-5's blatant copy of 1-5 shows a rather disturbing lack of respect towards the "source material", if you will, as if he thinks he could re-tell the story way better himself. Well, we all know how that went.

Spoiler: Dual Destinies
I think they designed Simon's character first and decided he'd be a convict Prosecutor (and he'd be innocent because Ace Attorney). Athena would have a tragic backstory with a dead parent because she's an assistant. They merged the two and exchanged high-fives. Then, the guy who gives Yamazaki his coffee pointed out that it's very similar to 1-5 and Yamazaki doesn't care

Thing is, I think they could've made 5-5 different enough if they tried, so it's a shame it came out the way it did. They could've had Simon go to prison to protect Aura (who was actually the Phantom in a mask) and then Athena still gets her tragic backstory. It would be worse, but it wouldn't be as similar (and I'm kind of just throwing ideas at the wall)


Quote:
That...that simile is absolutely perfect. If I had a hat, I would most certainly tip it. Slightly (read: very) off topic, but I rather liked Twilight Princess; sure, it's too similar to Ocarina of Time and it tried too hard to be gritty (if only the old design of the Twilight was used instead of that sickening pallet of colors), but with the amazing soundtrack (apparent in most/all Zelda games), Midna and some very good ideas, puzzles and boss fights, I don't understand all the hate it gets. Sure, it's no Majora's Mask, but what game is? Hell ,if there's one console Zelda game I have a hard time with it's the Wind Waker, since I don't really like most dungeons and finding the triforce parts is an artificial way to increase the game's length, and it becomes a chore and nothing more.

I love Twilight Princess. My only problem is like you said, it tried to be too dark; both by using scary moments and making the game just look gross with the lack of color. Skyward Sword/Wind Waker had dark moments, but the game looked like a brilliant painting throughout. Majora's Mask just used a town full of likable and carefree people with an ominous timer that just kept reminding you, "Everyone will die." I kind of wish another game like Majora's Mask was made that had a completely different idea (I don't think ALBW counts)

I love Wind Waker but I agree on the triforce hunt. My least favorite Zelda from the Link to the Past and 3D era is ALTTP. I think it's okay, but I don't have as much fun playing it as the others
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1631

I think another way to see it is also that considering that the GK team went in to make a mainline entry in the franchise, they didn't want to tread on Takumi's toes, so they ended playing things a tad too safe... but now that they have gotten the formula down and that the reception has been mostly positive, then maybe if they make another game it will truly stand on its own, kinda like how AAI2 is a good deal better than the first game.

I don't really know where to take this discussion of DD vs PLvsPWAA further, so maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've simply found that the more I replayed Takumi's games, some of which I really didn't like at first btw, the more I liked them, but with Yamazaki's titles I feel like it has been the opposite. My initial reaction to AAI's gameplay and most of the first case was like "Hey, this is actually really good. Probably even better than the other three games I've played!", but after beating AAI1-5 I was like "Man, that really dragged" and upon replaying it I started noticing the actual difference in the way dialogues were written and most of the common flaws Thane pointed out are some of the things I noticed as well. As much as Yamazaki's plots may have slightly less plotholes and have a more "logical" approach, I just think there's something about the way in which he presents his scenarios through dialogue that makes his games really drag and become boring. Then I got what you might call a "bias" but I just think it's ignorant to say that my viewpoints towards the Takumi/Yamazaki are unfounded. Maybe I can be a bit harsh or too exaggerated in my dislike, but it's not blind rejection. There is a big difference between the two writers, at least in the long-run.

And also, I did not care who had written Ace Attorney, or even know who a "Shu Takumi" was until after I had beaten the trilogy and then AAI. I guess I subconsiously noticed the writers name and then it struck me that it wasn't the same when the credits rolled in AAI.

And IMO, a lot of the Yamazaki vs Takumi discussions I've seen revolve around whether Takumi still has his "spark" and people often claim that it doesn't matter if he's not making more Ace Attorney games because AJ:AA "is a low point in the franchise" but I beg to differ. PLvsPWAA is a better written game overall than Dual Destinies. in my opinion, and several parts of it, to me, felt like it was in league with the first three Ace Attorney games, so I think Takumi is still full of ideas for the franchise, and I don't think he'll let it go just yet.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1544

linkenski wrote:
I don't really know where to take this discussion of DD vs PLvsPWAA further, so maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've simply found that the more I replayed Takumi's games, some of which I really didn't like at first btw, the more I liked them, but with Yamazaki's titles I feel like it has been the opposite. My initial reaction to AAI's gameplay and most of the first case was like "Hey, this is actually really good. Probably even better than the other three games I've played!", but after beating AAI1-5 I was like "Man, that really dragged" and upon replaying it I started noticing the actual difference in the way dialogues were written and most of the common flaws Thane pointed out are some of the things I noticed as well. As much as Yamazaki's plots may have slightly less plotholes and have a more "logical" approach, I just think there's something about the way in which he presents his scenarios through dialogue that makes his games really drag and become boring. Then I got what you might call a "bias" but I just think it's ignorant to say that my viewpoints towards the Takumi/Yamazaki are unfounded. Maybe I can be a bit harsh or too exaggerated in my dislike, but it's not blind rejection. There is a big difference between the two writers, at least in the long-run.

Yes, probably for the best to agree to disagree. I'm just generally a huge fan of mysteries and while I think Takumi is a better story-writer, Yamazaki writes tighter, better mysteries

I shall depart from this thread now until I play the game. :valant:
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Surf's Up!

Gender: Male

Location: The gloomiest place on earth (i.e. the UK)

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Posts: 2253

I haven't finished it yet, I'm loving it. Also, I seem to be good at solving the puzzles in this game, even though I haven't played a single Layton game...
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: America

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:21 am

Posts: 6

I'm honestly still kind of confused about one part of the story. Why did Phoenix end up in Labyrinthia?

Proffesor Layton vs Ace Attorney Spoilers
Spoiler:
At the end Darklaw says that Phoenix getting there was "purely accidental" and that after the freighter incident she needed to bring him there, but for what reason? Its not like Darklaw thought she needed Phoenix like she needed Layton (Though in the end they both contributed to solving the mystery and couldnt have done so without one or the other) so why bring him and Maya to labyrinthia and hypnotize them to think they were bakers?
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Servant of the Goddess of Law

Gender: Male

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Posts: 250

Maleel wrote:
I'm honestly still kind of confused about one part of the story. Why did Phoenix end up in Labyrinthia?

Proffesor Layton vs Ace Attorney Spoilers
Spoiler:
At the end Darklaw says that Phoenix getting there was "purely accidental" and that after the freighter incident she needed to bring him there, but for what reason? Its not like Darklaw thought she needed Phoenix like she needed Layton (Though in the end they both contributed to solving the mystery and couldnt have done so without one or the other) so why bring him and Maya to labyrinthia and hypnotize them to think they were bakers?

That was rather puzzling to me as well...
Spoiler:
I guess she saw how good she defended Espella and realized how he would stop at nothing to reach the truth and thought he was someone she would possibly need in this quest? Maybe she thought he knew too much and feared Wright would do more snooping into her background and Espella's which is something I could see Maya push Nick into doing.
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Surf's Up!

Gender: Male

Location: The gloomiest place on earth (i.e. the UK)

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Posts: 2253

I've just finished the main game, and I have to say that the twist at the end took me completely by surprise. As for the puzzles, I did rather well on them (especially considering I've never played a Professor Layton game before), with the sole exception of Puzzle #44, which I hate with a vengeance (and ended up with me cheating, by looking up the solution on YouTube).

I thought that the voice acting was great, with the exception of
Spoiler:
Edgeworth's (in the end credits) - which I thought was even worse than his voice acting in Dual Destinies.

Seriously, why can't they hire someone who can do a decent Edgeworth voice?


Overall, I thought it was a highly enjoyable game, and if they ever do another, I'd buy it without hesitation.
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wriggling piece of plywood

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7403

Gee, let's see here.
The combination in itself went way better than I had expected. By looks only seeing Phoenix and Layton together was a little awkward, but in a rather fun way. The discrepancy between the realism of the characters didn't bother me either. The beginning where you shifted between Layton mode and AA-mode was pretty neat, but it was even better later when they started to blend together. Also, Layton was great as an aid in the courtroom, very helpful and calming. And the part where Luke and Maya joins together and look for the cat and solve puzzles together was really, really sweet.

The gameplay was kind of ok, but I wasn't too fond of the investigations. The whole magnifying glass thing wasn't really my thing, and the proceedings and dialogue there were sometimes kind of staccato. One thing I found unintentionally funny though, was when you slid the magnifying glass over an area looking for clues at a suspenseful moment and it turned sparkly because of a hint coin - kind of the definition of "Ooh, shiny". Also, often things were really too easy, not as colour-by-numbers as DD but not very far off either. Like... the hints for puzzles, they weren't hints, rather direct directions. The puzzles were fun although I'd argue most of them weren't as much puzzles as they were minigames.

The backgrounds and stuff were nice in 3D and the characters were fun. The more realistic ones had an art style quite unbeknownst to me from previous PL/AA games which made them feel not entirely like characters from these franchises, but they did look good. For the new characters the 3D and movements were smooth I think, but some of the old ones movements worked better as sprites, at least it waas kind of awkward. Especially Phoenix's many times mentioned emotionless face and stiff poses. Luke's poses were kind of ugly as well, his and Chelmey's angry ones were especially disastrous, and I could hardly look at the flustered Luke holding his head and stomping about - who does that?! Layton's nose was funny in 3D.

The characters weren't AA-standard, but not as one-dimensional as traditional Layton-characters either, more some odd in-between. Good, but not that memorable. As for the returning characters, I couldn't help but feel that at times there was something off with how Maya and Phoenix talked and acted. I can't realy put my finger on how though. But the main four... Layton, Luke, Maya and Phoenix, that is (I guess Espella could count as well but she's not a returning character and honestly I forgot about her) worked surprisingly well together. But I wish they would have expanded a bit on Carmine's characters, maybe even have us met him, I thought he seemed like a cool guy. Phoenix as a baker was hilarious. And there was Edgeworth :D

As for the pacing, it was better during the middle of the game. The prologue I thought was a bit tedious when all you did was walking back and forth and clicking through dialogue. The ending was a bit cramped as well, although it was, in my opinion, the most interesting part of the game. But everything really came at once, and then one "final testimony" after another, talking at length, a new twist, more talking etc. The story was mostly Layton-esque and as far as I've experienced it is kind of ocurring in his own games as well that the ending takes everything at once and stuff comes out of nowhere, such as when Layton, as other people have mentioned in another thread and which very much applies to this game, suddenly has got everything figured out just like that.

The story... well, it was interesting. There wasn't much space to figure the connections out for oneself, I guess that's why it wasn't that much "ooh" and "aah" about it, but nevertheless it was a surprising turn of events. The reason behind it all and why it had become what it did although felt a bit... I don't know, like going to unnecessary lengths.
Spoiler:
Also, at first it seemed like it was all for research, which was kind of a weird reason to have it turn out that way, then suddenly it was all for Espella's sake and the research thing kind of just happened along the way, and then it was Eve as well and ok.
But nevertheless I was satisfied putting the game down, and the ending was suspenseful and emotional (and Edgeworth).

The humour was a sweet mixture between Layton-humour and AA-humour, not cry-from-laughter-fun but some crack-a-smile-fun here and there. I don't know if this was meant to be funny but the thing I laughed the most about was
Spoiler:
when they brought the golden Layton into the courtroom, the arm was missing and Phoenix just went "Was it damaged in transition?" while Luke was all "PROFESSOR!!"


Overall it didn't blow my mind but it was a fun concept which turned out as a very enjoyable game (and honestly, simply being Phoenix tagging along with Maya would have made it worth it all)
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1631

I did notice that the banter between Maya and Nick was not completely as it used to be... but then again, I don't know if you noticed it while playing T&T, but in that game their banter was also a bit different from how it would often go in AA1 or AA2. I particularly remember thinking that I thought Maya was "meaner" in T&T than usual.

Still, I think the humor was top-notch in this game. It had plenty of times where I bursted out in laughing becuase it just caught me off guard. Especially the crazy testimonies you get to hear in the game. I thought all courtroom segments were very vibrant and dynamic.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wriggling piece of plywood

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7403

Haha, she was? I haven't thought of that.

Layton's and Luke's first run-in with Phoenix and Maya was hilarious to me, especially with the pounding. And the segment where the new witness in the first witch trial was merely "Some guy" :sahwit:
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1631

In general, the whole idea of having random audience members join in on cross examinations made for a lot of fun surprises. But I disliked how it started to become predictable in the last two trials that at some point another guy would interrupt the cross examination.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wriggling piece of plywood

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7403

With several random people as witnesses though the finding of the culprit felt less predictable as opposed to in the regular games where it's more linear and the last victim dunnit. But yes, that's true with the form itself becoming predictable, and sometimes I felt like it took a unnecessary long time because it was such a procedure in itself.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

I've vanished, like a ghooooost...

Gender: Female

Location: Unfortunately, in school...

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am

Posts: 583

Maleel wrote:
I'm honestly still kind of confused about one part of the story. Why did Phoenix end up in Labyrinthia?

Proffesor Layton vs Ace Attorney Spoilers
Spoiler:
At the end Darklaw says that Phoenix getting there was "purely accidental" and that after the freighter incident she needed to bring him there, but for what reason? Its not like Darklaw thought she needed Phoenix like she needed Layton (Though in the end they both contributed to solving the mystery and couldnt have done so without one or the other) so why bring him and Maya to labyrinthia and hypnotize them to think they were bakers?


Spoiler:
It was because Phoenix and Maya found the book. Espella was supposed to keep it with her, but because Phoenix opened the book, Darklaw had no choice but to knock them out. Her actions were indeed questionable... but it's part Professor Layton. What else would you expect, other than a billion things that have no explanation?

I AM IN SCHOOL, SO IF I END UP NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN THAT'S WHY :larry:
For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1544

Spoiler: Whole Game and a Giant Wall of Text
I beat the game so I guess I'll give my thoughts. I haven't read the thread yet so sorry if I repeat stuff

I really, really, really hate to say this. This is definitely my least favorite Ace Attorney game yet. I think the gameplay side of things went fine and it's probably one of the stronger games in the series when it comes to that, but this is by far the worst story in any AA game I've ever experienced. In fact, I wouldn't even call the story "bad on AA standards." I'd just flat out call it bad

I was enjoying the game (particularly Chapters 5 and 6) even though I never quite felt *hooked*. The final trial was by far the worst case in the entire series, though. I know people don't like Case 5 of DD or Case 5 of AAI and you guys can say what you want about those, but at least those didn't ruin the entire game

I mean, holy shit. This was just a terrible, terrible, nonsensical twist. It's one of those rare twists that just sours the entire experience of the game, at least for me. Like, the amount of plot holes it creates are just unforgivable. I've only played two Layton games and I know this kind of twist is traditional for the series, but would it really be that hard to make a mystery with fantasy elements (the Folsense twist also made no sense, but I thought it was cute how Luke and Layton's fantasy town was a town full of puzzles)? Like, did it have to have a realistic explanation? This twist makes the entire game fall flat on its face and I just can't take it seriously anymore. It's the only game I'll never have any desire to replay

I'll admit I might've had high expectations being a fan of both series and the game being written by Shu Takumi, though

Plotholes/Things that pissed me off:
1. How did the statue throw Carmine's car in the opening?
2. What did Layton and Luke see when the witch smashed through the window and during the encounter on the bridge?
(These above two make me think that magic was going to be real, but the studio sunk too much money in the opening cutscenes so they had to deal with it)
3. Why did Cecil and Petal never run around and smash their faces into the invisible bell tower?
4. Why did Cecil and Petal not run and smash their faces into any of the invisible objects?
5. How did Luke catch Espella and Darklaw with a crane?
6. The truth is revealed, Espella tries to kill herself, she gets saved, and all is right with the world. Espella certainly won't try to kill herself again......


?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!!?!?!?

7. Why the fuck would the Storyteller receive more funding for the Labryinthia Project if every single person involved in the last one died in a horrible fiery death?
8. The investors fund the second project. Why didn't they destroy the bell tower?!??!!?!?!?
9. Why did Newton build the bell tower??!?!!? Why would he build a mechanism to ring it??!?!?! The Storyteller said he wanted to ring it "on festivals." Why??!?!?! Why would you knock everyone out during a festival?!?!?!?!
10. First witch trial: Robbs and Muggs are Shades so they never died...I think? Anyway, let's go with that since I think that's what the game was explaining. Kira casts Dimere so the Shades around her knock her unconscious with the bell (and presumably Espella, too, since she was nearby). The Shades drape Kira in an invisible cloak and then her and Espella wake up at the exact same moment, I guess (Espella should find it mighty suspicious that she's covered in mud. That, or the Shades decided to wash her clothes while she was unconscious). Kira doesn't notice the cloak is on her for some reason. She now casts Ignaize. At this point, the Shades either knock out everybody in the immediate vicinity (witnesses included), set up pyromaniac equipment, revive everyone (again, somehow at the same time, and the witnesses aren't suspicious that they have to get up from the ground and are covered in mud), start the pyromaniac show, Kira runs away, casts Ameer, the Shades knock everyone out again, take the cloak off of Kira, revive everyone (THEY ALL WAKE UP AT THE SAME TIME), and then Kira returns to the crime scene. Holy shit. The Shades did that or they carry pyromaniac equipment around at all time and had it set up by Robbs and Muggs because they knew Kira would use it at that exact spot a meter from them....for some reason. I don't know which one is more implausible.
11. Sir Belduke's death. Jean should've noticed Belduke's corpse was eerily cold when she strangled him to death
12. Sir Belduke's death. Jean casts Godoor on the wall. The witches knock Jean out, cut a hole out of the wall, and revive her. Five minutes later, they have to close the "portal." They knock Jean out, fill the hole with plaster, and it takes so long for walls to mend that they presumably had to keep Jean in a hospital bed with a food tube keeping her alive for the next 48 hours. But wait, the mail courier said she visited Belduke the night before he died, so the Shades had to knock everyone in the town out just to fix the stupid wall so nobody would notice anything is amiss
13. Layton's goldening. Same shit that I won't go through. This one is absolutely critical with the witnesses "waking up at the same time, though." If everybody was knocked out and say, Luke woke up first, he'd see quite a sight when everybody trailing behind him is now unconscious. Even if everyone woke up at the same time, they'd still notice that they're all on the floor. Also, the wall would have to be fixed again so looks like everybody is getting a medically induced coma while the Shades wait for that wall to heal
14. Fire dragon summoning. Not gonna bother going into detail. Everybody in the town would have to be knocked out
15. Jean turns a cow into gold. Unlike Layton, the Shades couldn't have prepared for this. They'd have to knock Jean out (AND THE ENTIRE TOWN) in the time it would take to smelt a gold cow
16. Layton and Luke were never hypnotized the same way Phoenix and Maya were. They should've seen the machines
17. The Storyteller is dying from a disease! Oh no! What a last minute twist! Don't worry, there's a cure! O-O-o-ok....what was the point of bringing it up, then?

I'll stop there even though there's more. Ah, fuck it, I won't

18. I understand Jean was upset but why didn't she read the note? She basically killed Belduke on a hunch (and it was incorrect...)
19. How did the Storyteller control the knights Layton had to fight? He either had the Shades knock Layton and Luke out, move each knight half a centimeter (in crude claymation style), revive them, knock them out, move the knight, knock them out, etc. OR he can control the machines through his quill and book...I call bullshit on either
20. Who knocked Olivia out? Presumably Darklaw, but it was weird how the game kept reminding us of that hanging mystery and then never actually said the answer
21. Why don't Layton, Luke, Phoenix, or Maya ever say, "Man, how are we going to get out of this town and back home?"
22. Phoenix and Luke help Espella escape and become wanted criminals. Espella is captured and then Phoenix is no longer wanted for some reason
23. When Darklaw is told to reveal the scratches on her neck, why didn't she just have her Shades knock everyone in the courtroom out (I guess she couldn't do it to Kira cause she was a Shade, too) and then wait a good few days for the scratches to heal?
24. Why didn't the Shades' footprints show up on the bell tower steps?
25. And finally, just one thing that pissed me off, the final trial was WAAAAAAAAAY too long. Once I found out the magic wasn't real, I just started getting really bored. When the Storyteller mentioned it was a research facility, I just started speed reading through the rest of it and it just. kept. going. It's a worst offender than Turnabout Ablaze

I'll actually stop there now. Anyway, my point is that I was enjoying the game until the twist. The twist made the script reek like it was made up as it went along and had little effort put into it

Also, when Jean was revealed as the villain, I was gonna label her "Most Failed Attempt at a Sympathetic Villain Since Acro" but the twist actually made me realize that she might be the most sympathetic character of the series. She was presumably very young when she entered the town and never consented to be brainwashed (her parents would do that). The Storyteller decided it would be a good idea to make a little girl a witch despite the social stigma attached to it and the trauma she would no doubt endure as a result (and he can relate to attempting to get a little girl past her trauma). Jean cast a spell and the Shades thought she cast it on a goat. Oh well. They make the gold goat and then THE LITTLE GIRL TRIES TO KILL HERSELF AND THE SHADES STAND THERE AND DO NOTHING. Belduke, instead of deciding this experiment is way too much for her and setting her and her family free from the town, he makes her a boy. Newton and Arthur, you're both assholes

I also didn't like how we never really got to investigate that much for a specific case. We'd get a cutscene of an incident and then immediately go to court. This made it so I never felt like the mystery was getting deeper and deeper. I actually felt like it always got more logical as the game went on and I could figure out the twists kind of quickly. I also didn't like how all of the motives besides the last one were afterthoughts, just like DD

I also thought it was weird how Darklaw was in the entire game but only said like two lines until becoming insanely relevant in the last case. Barnham was handled really sloppily but in the opposite way. He failed to make much of an impression of me. Most boring Prosecutor/Rival ever

ALSO, ESPELLA IS THE MOST BORING CHARACTER IN THE ENTIRE SERIES

Ok, now I'm done

I do feel bad about ranting at the game because there are things I like. The twist just ruined a lot of those things. Anyway, I will name what I like

I always loved Layton and Luke as an investigative duo. There's just something very endearing about Luke's eagerness to solve some puzzles with the Professor and it just very...cute. Do I dare say that I think they're a better duo than Phoenix and Maya? Also, I liked the way the game mixed up the duos. Phoenix and Luke and Maya and Layton both worked great with each other, especially with the former. This game actually treated Luke pretty amazingly

The scene where Maya died...eh. I wasn't too concerned because I knew it was fake. It did break my heart, though, seeing Phoenix so broken after the fact but trying to keep it together for Luke and Espella. The music box melody actually nearly made me tear up

The mob examinations were great but I wish we could contradict testimony more than three times in the whole game. I also wish the game didn't tell when you could contradict testimony. Anyway, the highlight of the game for me was definitely the vigilante cross-examination. I feel like there was a huge missed opportunity with making Emeer one of the vigilantes, though. I thought the entire case besides the core four was pretty forgettable, but Emeer was one fucking hilarious witness. When Barnham protested against bringing in the neighbor, I thought it was typical Prosecutor bullshit but laughed my assed off when Emeer ran onto the stand

Also, the music and animated cutscenes were top notch

TheBlackquillz wrote:
Proffesor Layton vs Ace Attorney Spoilers
Spoiler:
At the end Darklaw says that Phoenix getting there was "purely accidental" and that after the freighter incident she needed to bring him there, but for what reason? Its not like Darklaw thought she needed Phoenix like she needed Layton (Though in the end they both contributed to solving the mystery and couldnt have done so without one or the other) so why bring him and Maya to labyrinthia and hypnotize them to think they were bakers?

Quote:
Spoiler:
It was because Phoenix and Maya found the book. Espella was supposed to keep it with her, but because Phoenix opened the book, Darklaw had no choice but to knock them out. Her actions were indeed questionable... but it's part Professor Layton. What else would you expect, other than a billion things that have no explanation?

Spoiler: Whole Game
That doesn't make much sense, though. If she saw Phoenix and Maya opening the book, she didn't have to knock them out. She could've just said, "Sorry. That's mine. Can I have it back?" and they would think nothing of it. By bringing them to Labyrinthia, she compromised everything. I also have a hard time she could knock out a teenager and a grown man in the middle of a prestigious courtroom and then drag them out
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:34 am

Posts: 251

I can explain some of your points:

Spoiler:
1. That's explained in a DLC chapter (the statue is a robot)
3. & 4. The pure black things are not actually invisible, so people subconsciously see them and subconsciously avoid them.
5. Presumably Layton and Luke read the de-hypnotizing spell before the final trial started, so they were able to see the machines and Luke probably entered the crane when he saw the girls were about to fall.
9. When they build the bell tower, they didn't know that the bell would made people faint. They had just found the bell in the ruins, and it looked nice so they wanted to make a tower for it. It's only after the tragedy that they learned about the fainting disease.
16. What makes you think they weren't hypnotized? Even if they didn't forget their past like everyone else, they could have been partially hypnotized.

I'm not going to try and explain the rest of your points, because a lot of them bothered me as well. The final part of the game didn't ruin the whole game for me, but I really don't like it.
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wriggling piece of plywood

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7403

Many Layton-twists give me the feeling that the developers found something interesting in a science magazine, decided to learn about it to use in the game, then got tired of it, put down all the books and said "Screw that, I think we know enough to make something scientificly correct of this".
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6089

More like they didn't even read anything scientific and just went with their gut. Ya know, usual science fiction.
Help! My parents are Phoenix Wright & Miles Edgeworth! Er, I mean they're irresponsible drunks!

Click here for the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney Translation Project Blog!
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.

Also, click here for the current archive of fanfiction or here for the backup archive. Click here for the blog that updates it.
Includes translations of misc. fan works related or not to AA.
Also, a very popular fanfic ask meme.
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Wriggling piece of plywood

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7403

But it's like their actually trying to make it sound reasonable.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1544

Jozerick wrote:
I can explain some of your points:

Spoiler:
1. That's explained in a DLC chapter (the statue is a robot)
3. & 4. The pure black things are not actually invisible, so people subconsciously see them and subconsciously avoid them.
5. Presumably Layton and Luke read the de-hypnotizing spell before the final trial started, so they were able to see the machines and Luke probably entered the crane when he saw the girls were about to fall.
9. When they build the bell tower, they didn't know that the bell would made people faint. They had just found the bell in the ruins, and it looked nice so they wanted to make a tower for it. It's only after the tragedy that they learned about the fainting disease.
16. What makes you think they weren't hypnotized? Even if they didn't forget their past like everyone else, they could have been partially hypnotized.

I'm not going to try and explain the rest of your points, because a lot of them bothered me as well. The final part of the game didn't ruin the whole game for me, but I really don't like it.

Thanks. I posted the thing on reddit and got some explanations for some of them but ultimately, the game still has way too many by the end
Spoiler:
1. The statue being a robot still seems like a plot hole to me, considering that it wasn't explained in game. It's like a last minute save by Takumi because his original plan for the story was different from what he ended up writing
3/4. They can't see the machines, though. When you play as any of the main characters, you can't see them either. The machines are invisible. The invisibility cloaks did the same thing. Even if people subconsciously avoided them, citizens should still see the shadows
9. Yup. I was wrong on this one. Thanks
16. Eh...the timeline's a little clunky on this one but I can accept it
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6921

JesusMonroe wrote:
Spoiler: Whole Game and a Giant Wall of Text
I lol'd when you said "Ok, now I'm done"

There are definitely problems with the overarching story and the twist (and the length/pacing of the final case), but I don't think the fact that half the game is Professor Layton should be ignored, and I personally just handwave away all the insanity just because of how cool and well-done the concept was for the majority of the game.
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1544

Bad Player wrote:
There are definitely problems with the overarching story and the twist (and the length/pacing of the final case), but I don't think the fact that half the game is Professor Layton should be ignored, and I personally just handwave away all the insanity just because of how cool and well-done the concept was for the majority of the game.

Spoiler: Game
Well sure, it is a Layton game but I don't really think it's necessary to sacrifice the story for the sake of that. We don't really need another "the town is fake" twist and this is the most illogical one by far (though I haven't played Unwound Future). Takumi should've known better

The concept of magic in trials was really cool and it makes me all the more sad that it's revealed to be fake in the end because it means we won't get a sequel with similar concepts

I don't think the game is terrible but it is my least favorite Ace Attorney by a long shot. The only *bad* things I'd say are the story and characters (aside from main four), but those are two pretty big things that can't be ignored

I do enjoy the game for the character interactions, though, and while the puzzles weren't exactly....puzzles, they were fun enough and i also enjoyed mob examinations. I definitely wouldn't say no to a sequel, though I think it'd be nice to bring in some of the supporting cast. It would be great to see Gumshoe and Chelmey meet or have Edgeworth call Barton up as a witness
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6921

JesusMonroe wrote:
Spoiler: Game
Well sure, it is a Layton game but I don't really think it's necessary to sacrifice the story for the sake of that. We don't really need another "the town is fake" twist and this is the most illogical one by far (though I haven't played Unwound Future). Takumi should've known better

Spoiler:
Actually, I'm pretty sure a gigantic fake town is a Layton necessity; I've yet to play a Layton game without one.
(I will not mention (here) which Layton games I have and have not played, however, to try to spare you spoilers to some extent.)


PS: In my personal headcanon, in the Laytonverse, literally every single town in the world except London is actually a fake town that's part of some massive hoax.


Quote:
Spoiler:
The concept of magic in trials was really cool and it makes me all the more sad that it's revealed to be fake in the end because it means we won't get a sequel with similar concepts

Spoiler:
I'd like a sequel with more witch trials too, but you also had to know that there was gonna be something up, because real magic (or witches and the way it's done in Labyrinthia, at least) just wouldn't really square with either series.


Quote:
Spoiler:
I don't think the game is terrible but it is my least favorite Ace Attorney by a long shot. The only *bad* things I'd say are the story and characters (aside from main four), but those are two pretty big things that can't be ignored

Spoiler:
I personally chalk that up to Layton. There has been a single compelling character in all of the Layton games I've played, and Layton stories have always been silly things with gigantic, idiotic-if-you-actually-think-about-it twists. So if you expect the (relative) realism of Ace Attorney in a Professor Layton story... yeah, you're gonna be disappointed.

Basically, I don't think it's really fair to judge PLvAA as an AA game alone, because it isn't.

Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gardevoir lover

Gender: Male

Location: Puerto rico

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Posts: 2022

I really enjoyed every moment of this game, i'd loved how well the two series gameplay styles mixed, i'd like to see another game with Laytonesque investigations with AA trials again someday.

Bad Player wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:
Spoiler: Game
Well sure, it is a Layton game but I don't really think it's necessary to sacrifice the story for the sake of that. We don't really need another "the town is fake" twist and this is the most illogical one by far (though I haven't played Unwound Future). Takumi should've known better

Spoiler:
Actually, I'm pretty sure a gigantic fake town is a Layton necessity; I've yet to play a Layton game without one.
(I will not mention (here) which Layton games I have and have not played, however, to try to spare you spoilers to some extent.)


PS: In my personal headcanon, in the Laytonverse, literally every single town in the world except London is actually a fake town that's part of some massive hoax.


Spoiler: Layton
I'm assuming you only played the first trilogy then.


BP EDIT: When I specifically mention I'm not saying something to avoid spoilers, don't immediately say it with no spoiler tag
Image

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1544

Bad Player wrote:
Spoiler:
Actually, I'm pretty sure a gigantic fake town is a Layton necessity; I've yet to play a Layton game without one.
(I will not mention (here) which Layton games I have and have not played, however, to try to spare you spoilers to some extent.)


PS: In my personal headcanon, in the Laytonverse, literally every single town in the world except London is actually a fake town that's part of some massive hoax.


Spoiler:
I'm not saying the game couldn't have had a twist. The town could've been fantasy-like, but still have the twist that everybody is under the influence of hypnotism (which is why they follow the story. Magic is still real). All Layton games have plot holes, but I don't think Takumi should've attempted the "fake town" twist if he couldn't execute it well because he didn't and the game is worse for it. It made way more plot holes than Diabolical Box (and the only huge things that bothered me in Diabolical Box were people dying when they opened the box because of a rumor and the fact that everybody hallucinated the same people and things)

I also think the beginning makes it clear that the fake town twist wasn't planned from the beginning

Quote:
Spoiler:
I'd like a sequel with more witch trials too, but you also had to know that there was gonna be something up, because real magic (or witches and the way it's done in Labyrinthia, at least) just wouldn't really square with either series.


Spoiler:
I disagree, actually. When the game was announced, people weren't saying, "Magic and Ace Attorney? It doesn't fly." They were saying, "Witch trials are the perfect setting for a crossover." I mean, AA has spirit channeling and is set in the same universe as ghost trick. Layton has so much pseudo-science that it might as well be magic

Plus, it's a crossover. Introducing magic into the mix won't hurt either franchise. The game is supposed to be a little less serious

Quote:
Spoiler:
I personally chalk that up to Layton. There has been a single compelling character in all of the Layton games I've played, and Layton stories have always been silly things with gigantic, idiotic-if-you-actually-think-about-it twists. So if you expect the (relative) realism of Ace Attorney in a Professor Layton story... yeah, you're gonna be disappointed.

Basically, I don't think it's really fair to judge PLvAA as an AA game alone, because it isn't.


Spoiler:
What about Flora? (Yes, I'm kidding)

The games could've done some from Column A and some from Column B, though. Espella, Barnham, Darklaw, and the Storyteller were all pretty boring, but we could've had some witnesses with a little more character to them. I immediately knew Jean was the killer when she started to become a little more relevant than the other supporting characters

The game didn't have to have forgettable characters because it was half of a Layton game. It should've had a good chunk of memorable ones because it was half of an Ace Attorney game. That's why I don't think it needed the fake town twist either. AA has never had a twist like that and this is half an AA game. It's not like Layton wouldn't have had more than his fair share without the twist. He gets his puzzles, his apprentice, he gets to upstage Phoenix in court, Phoenix never upstages Layton on the puzzle field, Layton is praised for his genius, and Phoenix isn't
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

The law is full of contradictions.

Gender: Female

Location: LAokio

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:43 am

Posts: 296

Spoiler:
I actually enjoyed it. I love mysteries especially fun ones. While there where some plot holes, most of them are addressed in the DLC, which by the way was hilarious can't wait till more comes out. (So much 4th wall breaking) What was really important was that the game explained MOST of the important questions I was asking. Though the not seeing pure black thing sounded complete BS to me, if those machines where in fact "Pure Black" you wouldn't see machines just black silhouettes of machines. The fact that you can see lines and bolts is proof that light is bouncing off of them. As for the machines themselves how come no one ever ran into them? Also in the beginning, Professor Layton and Luke weren't under hypnosis...Unless just looking at the Laberynthia Historia did it...It could have very well been written in that weird ink. Which would explain why Phoenix and Maya fell for it too. But despite that you'd think a bunch of people running around in "Pure Black" cloaks trying to kidnap a girl. Meh, I might be over thinking this...I heard some people complain that this game is boring, all I can say is I have no clue what the hell they where talking about. I found it highly entertaining, and the middle was very emotional. As for Espella, I honestly felt like she was just there to be saved with no other purpose to the story. Maybe if she had more of a personality...I loved her cat though. The "villain" was awesome, I loved her design. The whole story behind the town was creative as well as how it all linked together. The middle when the third trial ended was very emotional. I cried, even though I knew everything was fine. (I mean come on did you REALLY think they would kill Maya or Layton.) But it was Phoenix's reaction that did it. As someone who only played half way through a Curious Village, I found the Layton parts to be fun and even exciting at times. When the game left one story as a cliffhanger I always wanted to go back and see what was going on no matter what part of the story I was at. Layton himself is a unique character I rarely see. He seems to be able to see the pros in a person before the cons. He could be standing before the most annoying person on the planet and he would have the patience to hear him out. Luke wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought he'd be and he was the most pleasant person to interrogate. (Meaning he's the only one who didn't lie. And actually helped more than he hurt.) There seemed to be almost this instant sense of comradery between the four of them. I like how Layton is able to see what Phoenix has never been able to see in himself, and that's his power to think crazy. Maya and Luke are each unique with their own special abilities, which I wish they showcased more. Also Edgeworth's cameo at the end was boss.

"Follow Your heart out of the darkness! Stand up and rise from the ashes! Back to the start, far from the madness. Come alive again! Break off the chains of hesitation! Your voice will be your salvation! Look to the light of liberation waiting at the end!"
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gardevoir lover

Gender: Male

Location: Puerto rico

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Posts: 2022

Spoiler:
I love the moment about midway through the story where Maya and Layton pretty much left the story for a while. The emotion Phoenix had they're really got to me, like when he was yelling at Barnham to bring Maya back i could feel how angry he was through hi's text, i feel as though that part should have been voice acted.

Image

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6921

JesusMonroe wrote:
Quote:
Spoiler:
I'd like a sequel with more witch trials too, but you also had to know that there was gonna be something up, because real magic (or witches and the way it's done in Labyrinthia, at least) just wouldn't really square with either series.


Spoiler:
I disagree, actually. When the game was announced, people weren't saying, "Magic and Ace Attorney? It doesn't fly." They were saying, "Witch trials are the perfect setting for a crossover." I mean, AA has spirit channeling and is set in the same universe as ghost trick. Layton has so much pseudo-science that it might as well be magic

Plus, it's a crossover. Introducing magic into the mix won't hurt either franchise. The game is supposed to be a little less serious

Quote:
Spoiler:
I personally chalk that up to Layton. There has been a single compelling character in all of the Layton games I've played, and Layton stories have always been silly things with gigantic, idiotic-if-you-actually-think-about-it twists. So if you expect the (relative) realism of Ace Attorney in a Professor Layton story... yeah, you're gonna be disappointed.

Basically, I don't think it's really fair to judge PLvAA as an AA game alone, because it isn't.


Spoiler:
What about Flora? (Yes, I'm kidding)

The games could've done some from Column A and some from Column B, though. Espella, Barnham, Darklaw, and the Storyteller were all pretty boring, but we could've had some witnesses with a little more character to them. I immediately knew Jean was the killer when she started to become a little more relevant than the other supporting characters

The game didn't have to have forgettable characters because it was half of a Layton game. It should've had a good chunk of memorable ones because it was half of an Ace Attorney game. That's why I don't think it needed the fake town twist either. AA has never had a twist like that and this is half an AA game. It's not like Layton wouldn't have had more than his fair share without the twist. He gets his puzzles, his apprentice, he gets to upstage Phoenix in court, Phoenix never upstages Layton on the puzzle field, Layton is praised for his genius, and Phoenix isn't

Spoiler:
1) I think there's a difference between "Witch trials are the perfect setting for a LaytonxAA crossover" and "Witches and real magic totally work in Layton/AA." While AA has spirit channeling and Layton has Luke talking to animals, neither has magic to the extent of Labyrinthia.

While Fey magic is a big part of AA (or the original trilogy, at least), it's nothing more than a plot device--there's only a single case in the entire franchise that relies on it (and before you say "what about 2-2," that only relied on the idea/belief of spirit channeling)--so I think there'd definitely be a difference between having magic in the sense of spirit channeling in AA, and then real magic to the extent it's present in PLvAA.

I also think there's a fine line between being "a little less serious" and "HEY LET'S ADD REAL MAGIC TO TWO COMPLETELY SEPARATE FRANCHISES OUT OF NOWHERE" xD

2) If you look at each individual case, they're very AA-ish, but the overarching story as a whole is very Layton-ish, I think, and I also understand not giving the entire story to AA.

also c'mon, it's not like either franchise is known for having subtle villains

You're right, the game didn't have to half a mediocre cast just because it was half-Layton, and it would've been great if it only took the best of each franchise, but like I said before I think it's a bit unfair to criticize it basing it on the full AA standard when it's half Layton.

(Actually I thought Espella and Storyteller were fine. Espella wasn't character of the year or anything, but I thought her self-loathing, persecution, and sacrifice was enough. Darklaw and Barnham were definitely subpar, and it's unfortunate because to fix them all they really needed was something for Darklaw to do in case 2 or 3 and something for Barham to do in case 4.)

Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

The law is full of contradictions.

Gender: Female

Location: LAokio

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:43 am

Posts: 296

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Spoiler:
I love the moment about midway through the story where Maya and Layton pretty much left the story for a while. The emotion Phoenix had they're really got to me, like when he was yelling at Barnham to bring Maya back i could feel how angry he was through hi's text, i feel as though that part should have been voice acted.


Spoiler:
Agreed I cried during that part. And the bar scene after when they played the music box version of Turnabout Sisters I was bawling at that point. Even though you knew that Maya was fine, Phoenix's reaction alone was enough to pull an emotional response.

"Follow Your heart out of the darkness! Stand up and rise from the ashes! Back to the start, far from the madness. Come alive again! Break off the chains of hesitation! Your voice will be your salvation! Look to the light of liberation waiting at the end!"
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6089

The Layton half of this game has been pretty subpar compared to the rest in its own series. Still, I have a certain fondness for its quirky characters, as inappropriately as some puzzles arrive. The minor characters in this game are no exception. In fact, Stachenscarfen was one of my favorite background characters until I met Bardly and his rival Birdly in this game.

Bad Player wrote:
Spoiler:
1) I think there's a difference between "Witch trials are the perfect setting for a LaytonxAA crossover" and "Witches and real magic totally work in Layton/AA." While AA has spirit channeling and Layton has Luke talking to animals, neither has magic to the extent of Labyrinthia.

While Fey magic is a big part of AA (or the original trilogy, at least), it's nothing more than a plot device--there's only a single case in the entire franchise that relies on it (and before you say "what about 2-2," that only relied on the idea/belief of spirit channeling)--so I think there'd definitely be a difference between having magic in the sense of spirit channeling in AA, and then real magic to the extent it's present in PLvAA.

I also think there's a fine line between being "a little less serious" and "HEY LET'S ADD REAL MAGIC TO TWO COMPLETELY SEPARATE FRANCHISES OUT OF NOWHERE" xD

Spoiler:
By the way, which single case are you talking about: 1-2 or 3-5? :P

Yeah, there shouldn't be such a thing as "real" magic, but as JM mentioned, the return to reality from a mystical world definitely has room for improvement. I like the idea of using mass hypnotism, and the hallucinogen gas could still have a role. Of course, this site should be evacuated in case of any irreversible memory damage. It'd be pretty sad to end like that, though.

Help! My parents are Phoenix Wright & Miles Edgeworth! Er, I mean they're irresponsible drunks!

Click here for the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney Translation Project Blog!
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.

Also, click here for the current archive of fanfiction or here for the backup archive. Click here for the blog that updates it.
Includes translations of misc. fan works related or not to AA.
Also, a very popular fanfic ask meme.
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gardevoir lover

Gender: Male

Location: Puerto rico

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Posts: 2022

Another thing i really love about this game is that it feels like i'm watching an anime movie while playing.
Image

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6921

3-5 :P

1-2 has spirit channeling in its solving/resolution, but plenty of other cases do too. But in those cases, spirit channeling is just a plot device that could've been removed without much difficulty--in 1-2 they could've just had Nick notice the receipt on his own (and had Redd give up there), in 3-3 they could've had Maya's figure be sufficient to satisfy Kudo, all the Magatama segments could have been replaced with a similar non-magical system, etc. The only case in the franchise where the crime itself relies on spirit channeling/magic is 3-5.
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6089

'kay, just wanted to make sure.

Quote:
in 1-2 they could've just had Nick notice the receipt on his own (and had Redd give up there)

True, but that would have been somewhat anti-climactic. If Takumi had written more for that case, though, imagine what could have happened had Mia not appeared then. It'd be up to Nick Maya to prove his innocence. Heck, maybe even rewrite the story so that Maya and Mia could communicate without the need for a complete channeling. After all, Mia could communicate with Nick without needing Maya around...
Help! My parents are Phoenix Wright & Miles Edgeworth! Er, I mean they're irresponsible drunks!

Click here for the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney Translation Project Blog!
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.

Also, click here for the current archive of fanfiction or here for the backup archive. Click here for the blog that updates it.
Includes translations of misc. fan works related or not to AA.
Also, a very popular fanfic ask meme.
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

The cape is self-fluttering

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2778

What did I think of it? A decent crossover, though it did drag on a bit in the last three chapters.

Spoiler: Story
A little WTF, though it does follow the pattern of the first three Layton (not prequel) games. THE TOWN IS A LIE. The setting was pretty cool though. I felt a bit teased when it turned out the witch deaths were fake. For the first four or five chapters, I was actually thinking, "holy SHIT this is dark for a Layton game." I should have known better.

I did like the reason why the town was started -- as a way to bring Espella out of her catatonic state. I have to confess the "Eve did it!" revelation was a bit lame, or wasn't executed well. I could see it happening, but something about it just didn't sit well with me. Maybe I was expecting something crazier, even if the "SILVER BELLS MAKES THE PEOPLE FAINT AFTER DRINKING THE WATER" was crazy enough.

Too many people on drugs in these games, man.

That Barnham is a sexy beast. Almost as much as Edgeworth.


Spoiler: court
I get that Labyrinthia is supposed to be a no-logic, throw-witches-in-fire kind of court, but during the times you were supposed to use logic, there was too much "why isn't this stupid evidence counting here" or "I don't know where the hell you're going with this, but whatever." I probably collected all the hint coins so in the end, it probably didn't matter.

I found the multiple testimonies, the other witness' reactions, and conflicting testimonies surprisingly refreshing. At least until the ten-vigilante testimony.


Spoiler: puzzles
I'm surprised there didn't seem to be as many this time. Okay, so they can't fit in their normal 150 within the game, but there were so many hint coins, I would have expected a few more puzzles, like close to 100. Maybe I missed a couple, though according to the destination screen, I got all the hidden ones.


Spoiler: VA
Phoenix's VA was okay, but I'm not sure it was fitting.

Maya's sounded a bit old.

Luke's VA this time didn't sound like shit, but I'm not sure why he sounds like he's 8.

Espella's was great as long as she wasn't tackling puzzles.

Edgeworth's VA for his cameo somehow ended up even shittier than the one he has for DD. WTF. Even for "faux English" the "accent" was way too much.

Everyone else's was sufficient. The mailer cracked me up with her deafening "SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIR!"


Spoiler: Extras/bonuses
I'm going to guess this game is either not canon, or else takes place between early 2018 and early 2019. That is, if Nick still has his badge a year after these events.

Cute Godot reference.


Spoiler: NA "version"?
Incidentally, what the hell were they doing with this game, that it took this long to come to North America? It's not like they changed any of the spelling from the British English. Not that it kept me from enjoying the game, but the delay is just weird.

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Gardevoir lover

Gender: Male

Location: Puerto rico

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Posts: 2022

Sierra Mikain wrote:
Spoiler: Extras/bonuses
I'm going to guess this game is either not canon, or else takes place between early 2018 and early 2019. That is, if Nick still has his badge a year after these events.

Cute Godot reference.


I'm pretty sure the bonus content isn't canon given all the fourth wall breaks.
Image

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Eater of minds

Gender: Female

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Posts: 30

I'm not yet done with the game (currently at Chap 7 here), but I'm loving it so far :will:

Spoiler: 3rd Trial
Especially after the third trial. I knew Maya and Layton were gonna make a comeback... but whenever someone says something along the lines of "killed Layton", I laugh; and of course the thought that they "killed off Maya" was so... Idek how to react with that one. It's so amusing :shoe:

I'm disappointed that nothing from the first teaser got in the game though. I've been looking forward to Phoenix saying: "I don't like that top hat guy." :franny:
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

A Kirby and AA fan

Gender: Male

Location: The Netherlands

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm

Posts: 1032

JesusMonroe wrote:
Thanks. I posted the thing on reddit and got some explanations for some of them but ultimately, the game still has way too many by the end
Spoiler:
3/4. They can't see the machines, though. When you play as any of the main characters, you can't see them either. The machines are invisible. The invisibility cloaks did the same thing. Even if people subconsciously avoided them, citizens should still see the shadows

A bit late to the party, but...
Spoiler:
Did you know your eyes have a permanent blind spot each? Yet we never notice it because our brains automatically fill in that missing information the eyes don't see. I assume it's the same with the invisible machines. They don't see anything where the machines are, so their brains automatically fill in the 'shadows' by extending the background behind it.

Image
Re: What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix WrightTopic%20Title
User avatar

Kevin Wright: Ace Attorney

Gender: Male

Location: Wright and Co. Law Offices

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Posts: 44

Monobear Theater wrote:
I haven't played the game because its not out in America yet, but I've seen a full playthrough of it and... I'm gonna be honest... this has been the most disappointing game since AAI, especially coming from DD.

Everything just seems like a downgrade from DD. The graphics are dull, the court animations are dull, the mysteries are dull (once again proving that Takumi cannot write a damn mystery to save his life), the court sections and puzzles are too easy and uninspiring (I saw all the contradictions right away, even Dual Destinies made me think and have game overs!), the Layton investigations were so weak (heck, you only zoom in like 3 times in the game, iirc).

The main cast (that is, Layton, Luke, Nick and Maya) are the only good characters in the game as all the supporting characters and witnesses are bare-boned in comparison to Dual Destinies' and the plot has the most plotholes since Unwound Future's plot twist.


Oh, the plot twist is just so terrible.
Spoiler: The plot twist
Not only it came out of nowhere and it doesn't make sense at all.

There's almost nothing that hints to this revelation and it honestly feels like it was written last minute just to not mess with the canon of the series.

I'd much preferred if magic was actually real and that Layton and co's memories were erased at the end of the game than the mess we got for an ending instead. At least it wouldn't contradict its own premise and beginning!

The plot twist being justified as a "Layton staple" doesn't make it better! Sheesh, we're talking about a series that has supernatural happenings along the logical things and Ace Attorney has Spirit Mediums so magic being real wouldn't feel weird at all!


And while I liked the Mass Examinations, I really feel like they weren't fresh enough and felt stale pretty quickly. Nothing innovative was done with them and the ones from the last Witch Trail was tedious to watch, even more because the contradiction were too easy to spot, a fact aggravated by every. single. character. spelling. it. out. to. you.

Literally the only thing this game did good was the production values in the music and cutscenes, and while I prefer the cutscenes from this game, the soundtrack is on par with DD for me.

I'm sorry if I sound hateful, but after being told by everyone how "much better" this game was than DD, I just feel so disappointed. I was expecting something great and instead I got a pretty looking, nice sounding, plothole ridden mess.


Of course DD looks better it came out after. This game first came out 2012. If anything The trials were better than DD.
Kevin Ace Attorney Image Image
Page 3 of 5 [ 161 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO