Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 15 posts ]
 


Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

I've vanished, like a ghooooost...

Gender: Female

Location: Unfortunately, in school...

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am

Posts: 583

Uh, someone asked for this thread, so I made it.

The fact that the "British" Luke seems to fit Luke better than "American" Luke is always a point of contention. Thoughts, anyone?
I AM IN SCHOOL, SO IF I END UP NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN THAT'S WHY :larry:
For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The cape is self-fluttering

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2778

TheBlackquillz wrote:
Uh, someone asked for this thread, so I made it.

The fact that the "British" Luke seems to fit Luke better than "American" Luke is always a point of contention. Thoughts, anyone?


I like the British VA better if only for the consistency. I've said it before, but it seemed like the American VA was all over the place. It didn't sound... natural, I suppose? My only complaint is that now he sounds more like a girl instead of a ten or eleven-year-old boy.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Gender: Male

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Posts: 924

This. I like the sound of Lani Minella as Luke, but her voice lacks consistency (I guess having a 3.5 octave range voice will do that to you). On the other hand, Luke's English VA is more consistent, but unfortunately, it's consistently grating to my nerves. Why they couldn't get someone who could sound more masculine is beyond me.
Image
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wriggling piece of plywood

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7418

I don't see the problem with him sounding too "feminine" - to me he always sounded like a little boy. With that said, I like his British voice, in a way (which I may have mentioned before) he sounds like a UK version of Bart Simpson, which would probably be annoying to hear all the time in real life, but for a videogame character it fits, and sounds fun and cute. Also his accent is awesome. I can't say that much for the American voice, as I've only heard it in brief voiceclips and not while playing the game, but to me there's something off with it. I can't really put my finger on why excactly, but part of it may be that it sounds both like a child and as and adult at the same time, and that's somewhat uncanny.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

High level play

Gender: Male

Location: Netherlands

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Posts: 1138

I like Luke's British voice. It matches the whole 'gentleman' motif better than the American VA in my opinion. The fact that Layton and Luke operate from London also makes the British VA more fitting in my opinion.

Although It's probably a matter of which voice you heard first and grew accustomed to. One thing's for sure for me though the Dutch VA is a laughing stock. Not that the voice acting itself was bad or anything, but the woman who voices Luke also voices Ash Ketchum in the anime (Dutch dub). She also uses EXACTLY the same voice for Luke and Ash, so that tends to mess with me.
There is no solace above or below. I pray for myself, to myself - Frank Underwood

Image
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Location: UK

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:23 am

Posts: 57

I guess it depends on what you're used to first and foremost.

I had never heard the American VA for Luke until very recently as (being British myself). I adore our Luke's voice because you can tell it wasn't a chore for Maria Darling to keep it going. He sounds more like a little cockney Londoner trying his best to be a gentleman. He's sweet and comforting to listen to, which goes well with Layton's voice.

I have only heard the American version in LPs on Youtube and just sounds awful to me. It's not just the typical "You can tell it is an American putting on a British accent" thing - it's everything about it. True, I'm bias but I think it says a lot when people who have heard the US version first hand question why it was re-dubbed for them in the first place.
Image
Art created by myself, check out:
Tumblr - DeviantART - Archive of Our Own
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Gender: Male

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Posts: 924

The odd part about that being that the first game was localized for the U.S. first.
Image
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Location: UK

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:23 am

Posts: 57

TheDoctor wrote:
The odd part about that being that the first game was localized for the U.S. first.


I figured as much. British releases can be held back simply to keep them in line with the rest of Europe.

It is unusual for Nintendo of Europe to go to the effort of doing any re-dubbing as they generally don't bother. Take Fire Emblem: Awakening: the text itself was clearly localised for a British audience (British spelling, cockney jargon etc.) but they still used the US VAs, which doesn't gel very well.

It's all speculation but if Maria Darling's VA was a redub, then it must have been one of those rare occasions where NoE felt it really necessary to redo it because Minella's VA was too distracting.
Image
Art created by myself, check out:
Tumblr - DeviantART - Archive of Our Own
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Apologize to the funyarinpa!

Gender: Female

Location: Bristol, Rhode Island

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Posts: 163

I agree with most of what was said here. I personally like Lani Minella's voice alot more, becuase Maria Darling's voice gets on my nerves, and it's not just because he voice is too feminine for Luke either. But when I played Azran Legacy I felt that Luke sounded different than the other games, while Darling is much more consistent and her Luke always sounds the same.
scarlettpeony wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
The odd part about that being that the first game was localized for the U.S. first.


It's all speculation but if Maria Darling's VA was a redub, then it must have been one of those rare occasions where NoE felt it really necessary to redo it because Minella's VA was too distracting.


Probably. I'm not from the UK or anything and not accustomed to that accent, but for people who actually live there it must sound really fake and distracting. Otherwise they wouldn't have felt a need to change his voice.
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Location: UK

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:23 am

Posts: 57

Skittlemask wrote:
I agree with most of what was said here. I personally like Lani Minella's voice alot more, becuase Maria Darling's voice gets on my nerves, and it's not just because he voice is too feminine for Luke either. But when I played Azran Legacy I felt that Luke sounded different than the other games, while Darling is much more consistent and her Luke always sounds the same.
scarlettpeony wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
The odd part about that being that the first game was localized for the U.S. first.


It's all speculation but if Maria Darling's VA was a redub, then it must have been one of those rare occasions where NoE felt it really necessary to redo it because Minella's VA was too distracting.


Probably. I'm not from the UK or anything and not accustomed to that accent, but for people who actually live there it must sound really fake and distracting. Otherwise they wouldn't have felt a need to change his voice.


I think it's very interesting that they didn't bother to get Minella to redub Luke for the US release of PL vs. PWAA and used Darling's VA despite holding it back for months after the UK version came out. I guess the distributors thought it just wasn't worth the time. PL vs PW was one of those rare cases where nearly all the VAs felt suitable. Perhaps Espella's acting felt a little forced but it still suited her character as a shrinking violet.
Image
Art created by myself, check out:
Tumblr - DeviantART - Archive of Our Own
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

The cape is self-fluttering

Gender: Female

Location: The Bostonius

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Posts: 2778

scarlettpeony wrote:
I think it's very interesting that they didn't bother to get Minella to redub Luke for the US release of PL vs. PWAA and used Darling's VA despite holding it back for months after the UK version came out. I guess the distributors thought it just wasn't worth the time. PL vs PW was one of those rare cases where nearly all the VAs felt suitable. Perhaps Espella's acting felt a little forced but it still suited her character as a shrinking violet.


I could've done without little Espella's acting, but other than that... yeah.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

Image
...NAILED IT
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

A Kirby and AA fan

Gender: Male

Location: The Netherlands

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm

Posts: 1032

Sjibbey wrote:
I like Luke's British voice. It matches the whole 'gentleman' motif better than the American VA in my opinion. The fact that Layton and Luke operate from London also makes the British VA more fitting in my opinion.

Although It's probably a matter of which voice you heard first and grew accustomed to. One thing's for sure for me though the Dutch VA is a laughing stock. Not that the voice acting itself was bad or anything, but the woman who voices Luke also voices Ash Ketchum in the anime (Dutch dub). She also uses EXACTLY the same voice for Luke and Ash, so that tends to mess with me.

This I gotta hear.
Image
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

High level play

Gender: Male

Location: Netherlands

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Posts: 1138

Nurio wrote:
Sjibbey wrote:
I like Luke's British voice. It matches the whole 'gentleman' motif better than the American VA in my opinion. The fact that Layton and Luke operate from London also makes the British VA more fitting in my opinion.

Although It's probably a matter of which voice you heard first and grew accustomed to. One thing's for sure for me though the Dutch VA is a laughing stock. Not that the voice acting itself was bad or anything, but the woman who voices Luke also voices Ash Ketchum in the anime (Dutch dub). She also uses EXACTLY the same voice for Luke and Ash, so that tends to mess with me.

This I gotta hear.


After you do please tell me your experience. I'm wondering if I'm just too sensitive when it comes to this kind of stuff or if my complaint is legit.
There is no solace above or below. I pray for myself, to myself - Frank Underwood

Image
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Gender: Male

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Posts: 924

To be fair, I don't mind English!Luke during the prequel trilogy, since it takes place a few years earlier, thus making Luke younger. It's during the original trilogy and PLvsPW I take issue with the voice. At least during the original trilogy, any inconsistencies with Luke's American voice can be explained away by puberty or something. lol
Image
Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)Topic%20Title
User avatar

I've vanished, like a ghooooost...

Gender: Female

Location: Unfortunately, in school...

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am

Posts: 583

Something I found interesting...
To explain the Minella inconsistencies, they may have had a few complaints on how Minella sounds for Luke in the original trilogy, because some people claimed that (and I noticed this too when I replayed Unwound Future) that Luke and Flora sounded WAY too alike, accent and tone-wise. Maybe they tried to fix that by making his voice a little deeper? Not sure.
I AM IN SCHOOL, SO IF I END UP NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN THAT'S WHY :larry:
For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO