Court Records
http://forums.court-records.net/

Luke VA (spoilers?)
http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=30850
Page 1 of 1

Author:  TheBlackquillz [ Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:26 am ]
Post subject:  Luke VA (spoilers?)

Uh, someone asked for this thread, so I made it.

The fact that the "British" Luke seems to fit Luke better than "American" Luke is always a point of contention. Thoughts, anyone?

Author:  Jean Descole [ Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

TheBlackquillz wrote:
Uh, someone asked for this thread, so I made it.

The fact that the "British" Luke seems to fit Luke better than "American" Luke is always a point of contention. Thoughts, anyone?


I like the British VA better if only for the consistency. I've said it before, but it seemed like the American VA was all over the place. It didn't sound... natural, I suppose? My only complaint is that now he sounds more like a girl instead of a ten or eleven-year-old boy.

Author:  TheDoctor [ Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

This. I like the sound of Lani Minella as Luke, but her voice lacks consistency (I guess having a 3.5 octave range voice will do that to you). On the other hand, Luke's English VA is more consistent, but unfortunately, it's consistently grating to my nerves. Why they couldn't get someone who could sound more masculine is beyond me.

Author:  Going for Miles [ Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

I don't see the problem with him sounding too "feminine" - to me he always sounded like a little boy. With that said, I like his British voice, in a way (which I may have mentioned before) he sounds like a UK version of Bart Simpson, which would probably be annoying to hear all the time in real life, but for a videogame character it fits, and sounds fun and cute. Also his accent is awesome. I can't say that much for the American voice, as I've only heard it in brief voiceclips and not while playing the game, but to me there's something off with it. I can't really put my finger on why excactly, but part of it may be that it sounds both like a child and as and adult at the same time, and that's somewhat uncanny.

Author:  Sjibbey [ Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

I like Luke's British voice. It matches the whole 'gentleman' motif better than the American VA in my opinion. The fact that Layton and Luke operate from London also makes the British VA more fitting in my opinion.

Although It's probably a matter of which voice you heard first and grew accustomed to. One thing's for sure for me though the Dutch VA is a laughing stock. Not that the voice acting itself was bad or anything, but the woman who voices Luke also voices Ash Ketchum in the anime (Dutch dub). She also uses EXACTLY the same voice for Luke and Ash, so that tends to mess with me.

Author:  scarlettpeony [ Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

I guess it depends on what you're used to first and foremost.

I had never heard the American VA for Luke until very recently as (being British myself). I adore our Luke's voice because you can tell it wasn't a chore for Maria Darling to keep it going. He sounds more like a little cockney Londoner trying his best to be a gentleman. He's sweet and comforting to listen to, which goes well with Layton's voice.

I have only heard the American version in LPs on Youtube and just sounds awful to me. It's not just the typical "You can tell it is an American putting on a British accent" thing - it's everything about it. True, I'm bias but I think it says a lot when people who have heard the US version first hand question why it was re-dubbed for them in the first place.

Author:  TheDoctor [ Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

The odd part about that being that the first game was localized for the U.S. first.

Author:  scarlettpeony [ Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

TheDoctor wrote:
The odd part about that being that the first game was localized for the U.S. first.


I figured as much. British releases can be held back simply to keep them in line with the rest of Europe.

It is unusual for Nintendo of Europe to go to the effort of doing any re-dubbing as they generally don't bother. Take Fire Emblem: Awakening: the text itself was clearly localised for a British audience (British spelling, cockney jargon etc.) but they still used the US VAs, which doesn't gel very well.

It's all speculation but if Maria Darling's VA was a redub, then it must have been one of those rare occasions where NoE felt it really necessary to redo it because Minella's VA was too distracting.

Author:  Skittlemask [ Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

I agree with most of what was said here. I personally like Lani Minella's voice alot more, becuase Maria Darling's voice gets on my nerves, and it's not just because he voice is too feminine for Luke either. But when I played Azran Legacy I felt that Luke sounded different than the other games, while Darling is much more consistent and her Luke always sounds the same.
scarlettpeony wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
The odd part about that being that the first game was localized for the U.S. first.


It's all speculation but if Maria Darling's VA was a redub, then it must have been one of those rare occasions where NoE felt it really necessary to redo it because Minella's VA was too distracting.


Probably. I'm not from the UK or anything and not accustomed to that accent, but for people who actually live there it must sound really fake and distracting. Otherwise they wouldn't have felt a need to change his voice.

Author:  scarlettpeony [ Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

Skittlemask wrote:
I agree with most of what was said here. I personally like Lani Minella's voice alot more, becuase Maria Darling's voice gets on my nerves, and it's not just because he voice is too feminine for Luke either. But when I played Azran Legacy I felt that Luke sounded different than the other games, while Darling is much more consistent and her Luke always sounds the same.
scarlettpeony wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
The odd part about that being that the first game was localized for the U.S. first.


It's all speculation but if Maria Darling's VA was a redub, then it must have been one of those rare occasions where NoE felt it really necessary to redo it because Minella's VA was too distracting.


Probably. I'm not from the UK or anything and not accustomed to that accent, but for people who actually live there it must sound really fake and distracting. Otherwise they wouldn't have felt a need to change his voice.


I think it's very interesting that they didn't bother to get Minella to redub Luke for the US release of PL vs. PWAA and used Darling's VA despite holding it back for months after the UK version came out. I guess the distributors thought it just wasn't worth the time. PL vs PW was one of those rare cases where nearly all the VAs felt suitable. Perhaps Espella's acting felt a little forced but it still suited her character as a shrinking violet.

Author:  Jean Descole [ Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

scarlettpeony wrote:
I think it's very interesting that they didn't bother to get Minella to redub Luke for the US release of PL vs. PWAA and used Darling's VA despite holding it back for months after the UK version came out. I guess the distributors thought it just wasn't worth the time. PL vs PW was one of those rare cases where nearly all the VAs felt suitable. Perhaps Espella's acting felt a little forced but it still suited her character as a shrinking violet.


I could've done without little Espella's acting, but other than that... yeah.

Author:  Nurio [ Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

Sjibbey wrote:
I like Luke's British voice. It matches the whole 'gentleman' motif better than the American VA in my opinion. The fact that Layton and Luke operate from London also makes the British VA more fitting in my opinion.

Although It's probably a matter of which voice you heard first and grew accustomed to. One thing's for sure for me though the Dutch VA is a laughing stock. Not that the voice acting itself was bad or anything, but the woman who voices Luke also voices Ash Ketchum in the anime (Dutch dub). She also uses EXACTLY the same voice for Luke and Ash, so that tends to mess with me.

This I gotta hear.

Author:  Sjibbey [ Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

Nurio wrote:
Sjibbey wrote:
I like Luke's British voice. It matches the whole 'gentleman' motif better than the American VA in my opinion. The fact that Layton and Luke operate from London also makes the British VA more fitting in my opinion.

Although It's probably a matter of which voice you heard first and grew accustomed to. One thing's for sure for me though the Dutch VA is a laughing stock. Not that the voice acting itself was bad or anything, but the woman who voices Luke also voices Ash Ketchum in the anime (Dutch dub). She also uses EXACTLY the same voice for Luke and Ash, so that tends to mess with me.

This I gotta hear.


After you do please tell me your experience. I'm wondering if I'm just too sensitive when it comes to this kind of stuff or if my complaint is legit.

Author:  TheDoctor [ Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

To be fair, I don't mind English!Luke during the prequel trilogy, since it takes place a few years earlier, thus making Luke younger. It's during the original trilogy and PLvsPW I take issue with the voice. At least during the original trilogy, any inconsistencies with Luke's American voice can be explained away by puberty or something. lol

Author:  TheBlackquillz [ Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Luke VA (spoilers?)

Something I found interesting...
To explain the Minella inconsistencies, they may have had a few complaints on how Minella sounds for Luke in the original trilogy, because some people claimed that (and I noticed this too when I replayed Unwound Future) that Luke and Flora sounded WAY too alike, accent and tone-wise. Maybe they tried to fix that by making his voice a little deeper? Not sure.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/