Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby » Gourdzilla's Lair (GK2)

Page 3 of 6[ 240 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 


Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Posts: 77

Paul Sohn wrote:
gems_01 wrote:
I agree with someone on here who said that Kay really has no reason to be in this game. I liked that last game she was connected to the main arc whereas in this one she's just there because I guess some crazy s happened a couple weeks ago and now she just wants to hang out with Edgy and Gummy? I still like her I just find her a bit pointless here.


Yup, Trucy has no any reason to be in AJ and DD. The whole story could flow without Trucy, really. Also Maya did nothing in GS1-3, 1-4, 2-1, 2-3, 3-2, 3-3, we can delete Maya in almost every case, nothing change!(Possibly honey trap disappears?) How useless, meaningless, pointless they are!
More seriously, It's nothing whether if the assistant is linked to the case or not. Assistant is just assistant.

Besides, even in GK1 there was a case that Kay wasn't connected to the plot, it's case 3.


I get your point, but Trucy is Nick's daughter and Maya is his special someone :pearl:
Whereas Kay is just not really anything to Edgeworth. It made sense she hung around in GK1 because she was ultimately after the Yatagarasu whereas in GK2 she has no purpose. If Edgeworth was a bit more like Nick then the dynamic would be fine and Kay could hang out as long as she pleases, I'm cool with Kay but I just don't feel like they have any sort of special bond that would warrant her spending so much time around him. Maybe it's more I have a problem with Edgeworth's personality in the GK games, even him and Gumshoe are a bad combo.
Image
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

Well, there is a case in this game where Kay becomes "involved" in a certain happening... in the way that she comes out of it not quite the same as she had been. Still, it's a temporary thing, and she's back to normal at the end.

And the question of Kay's Yatagarasu II is answered at the end of this game.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Bad Player wrote:
linkenski wrote:
Spoiler:
And about case 2, I did actually like Patricia, and I thought her motive was okay for once. It's relieving to hear it's only goes upward in quality from here because so far I think GK2 is around the same level as AAI in terms of narrative.

What?! They have, like, the silliest motive in the game!
Spoiler: case 2
"He was playing chess with a guy I don't like. HE MUST DIE."

Spoiler: case 5
Okay yeah, it DOES make a lot more sense in the end... but in just case 2 alone, it's really silly

Huh, maybe I misunderstood it then.
Spoiler: I thought
Patricia killed Knightley (Naitou) as a method of moving Dogen to solitary confinement by framing him of the murder or something because she got threatened by him. Then it was murder in desperation.
I mean it does come off as rather silly but it wasn't as flat as some other GK villains I can remember. :yuusaku:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

linkenski wrote:
Huh, maybe I misunderstood it then.
Spoiler: I thought
Patricia killed Knightley (Naitou) as a method of moving Dogen to solitary confinement by framing him of the murder or something because she got threatened by him. Then it was murder in desperation.
I mean it does come off as rather silly but it wasn't as flat as some other GK villains I can remember. :yuusaku:

He was already in solitary confinement! xP
Spoiler: afaik...
She killed Naitou-sama because she thought he was one of Ryouken's underlings. She then (tried to) frame Ryouken for the murder cuz screw that guy.

Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Alright that is pretty lame :P
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Just a cute lil' bun-bun

Gender: Male

Location: Spain

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:39 pm

Posts: 71

It is lame if you look at it from the Case 2 vilain perspective, but if you look at it from the Case 5 perspective, the crime (still Case 2's) and its motive does add a lot to it.
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Posts: 11

Bad Player wrote:
I just have to say there's one thing I'll never forgive the writers of Gyakuten Kenji 2 for...
Spoiler:
They turned Manfred von Karma into a WIMP! Everything Edgeworth said made him sweat bullets!

Edgeworth: The sky...is BLUE!

Manfred: IMPOSSIBLE! HOW DID YOU KNOW?!



I just played case 3, and I have to disagree with this. Indeed Karma isn't so confident as in GS1-4, but he is no wimp, and there's no such scene which you described.
I'm not talking about the scene that Gregory saying the sky is blue.
I'm Korean, I beg your apology for my horrible english grammer.
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wax Philosophical Power Hour

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7717

Oh, my shit. I never thought I would live to see Edgeworth

(case 5 spoiler... kinda)
Spoiler:
bow to Gumshoe. And refer to him as "a friend". :eh?: :edgy:

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Posts: 7

I just watched it all, thanks to dowolf's great translated walkthrough.

Overall, I did like it. Obviously, it's not nearly as good as the original GS trilogy, but obviously I didn't expect it to be. I don't really get why people would compare them. Certainly enjoyed it a lot more than GK1. Although,
Spoiler: All Cases
I was once again annoyed by how all cases had to be interconnected and how they were all solved within 2-3 days.


I hate cameos too. I could like them in moderation, but they were all over the place in this game and it really is one of the weak points of the game for me.
Spoiler: Case 3
The only one I don't mind, in theory, is Larry because it's kind of an obligatory staple of the series, but this is far and away his worst appearance. I mean, they couldn't even come up with a new shtick for him... And he really failed to bring the laughter this time. Meh.
Moreover,
Spoiler: Case 5
Penny Nichols is probably the most confusing cameo ever. She's so bland, what's the point of bringing her back??? Will Powers was almost as unnecessary. The same goes with Ema and Lotta. At least they spared us Oldbag.


I enjoyed most cases... except Case 3, which I hated for a truckload of reasons lol.

Spoiler: Case 3
First of all, the Gregory parts have to be the dumbest in Ace Attorney history, no dumb. Some of you have already discussed how terriblly weak Von Karma was in them, but what really pissed me off is how they made it so Edgeworth and Von Karma would deliberately show each other their evidence and trump cards off-court. lolwut!?! :eh?: It's just so unnatural and neither of them should or would ever do that. When watching that case, I kept thinking how it would have been so much better had we seen the same confrontation in court. It's the one case where they could have used a similar system as the main games... if only for the Gregory scenes. Instead, it's basically just a mess with an "ace attorney" acting no different than Miles when he loses his badge and tries to interfere with investigations that aren't his. Putting this aside, the crime itself is so lackluster. To think that the incident was the case that ended Gregory's life, put an end to Von Karma's perfect record and ended Miles' dream of becoming an attorney... A murder in a pastry contest to win a book with pharmaceutical recipes because of a taste deficiency? Utterly stupid, yet somehow completely predictable. Not to mention that all the new characters introduced were awful. This rant is over yeah.


Spoiler: Case 5
The final antagonist was great. I actually didn't really see it coming lol. Looking back, I should have guessed because he kept coming back, but the crime scenes were so full of people that at some point I just assumed that anyone that had made an appearance since Case 1 without being indicted or killed would just tag along for the remainder of the game... so I didn't really think much of it. It only occured to me when Edgy determined that Knight(ley) was one of the two lost kids. I guess after so many games it's getting harder and harder to surprise people with the final villain so to use the kid you were supposed to defend and trust was a good twist.
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

Jammin' Ninja wrote:
Overall, I did like it. Obviously, it's not nearly as good as the original GS trilogy, but obviously I didn't expect it to be. I don't really get why people would compare them. Certainly enjoyed it a lot more than GK1. Although,
Spoiler: All Cases
I was once again annoyed by how all cases had to be interconnected and how they were all solved within 2-3 days.

Um... Isn't EVERY SINGLE CASE in the franchise solved in 2-3 days?

Also not sure why you don't like having interconnected cases... It lets the stories and motives be much deeper and more complicated than if every case was completely isolated.
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Posts: 11

Jammin' Ninja wrote:
Spoiler: All Cases
I was once again annoyed by how all cases had to be interconnected and how they were all solved within 2-3 days.

That's GK1. Take a look carefully in timeline.
Spoiler: Case Timeline
Turnabout Target is on March 25th, solved before the day end
The Imprisoned Turnabout is on March 27th, solved in the morning of March 29th
The Inherited Turnabout(gas terror incident) is on April 2nd, solved before the day end, and also IS-7 incident is solved that day
Turnabout Oblivion is on April 5th, solved in the morning of April 6th
The Grand Turnabout is on April 6th, solved just before the day end, and Edgeworth got his badge back on April 8th

It took 2 weeks totally to solve all.


Jammin' Ninja wrote:
I hate cameos too. I could like them in moderation, but they were all over the place in this game and it really is one of the weak points of the game for me. Moreover,
Spoiler: Case 5
Penny Nichols is probably the most confusing cameo ever. She's so bland, what's the point of bringing her back??? Will Powers was almost as unnecessary. The same goes with Ema and Lotta. At least they spared us Oldbag.

I agree that there are TOO much cameos. Even in case 5, ALL SIDE CHARACTERS ARE CAMEO that was in GS1, except Aizawa(I heard his localized name is John) and Swift.
But Ema...? No, she isn't a cameo. Edgeworth couldn't arrest the Mastermind without her scientific investigation.

Jammin' Ninja wrote:
I enjoyed most cases... except Case 3, which I hated for a truckload of reasons lol.

Spoiler: Case 3
First of all, the Gregory parts have to be the dumbest in Ace Attorney history, no dumb. Some of you have already discussed how terriblly weak Von Karma was in them, but what really pissed me off is how they made it so Edgeworth and Von Karma would deliberately show each other their evidence and trump cards off-court. lolwut!?! :eh?: It's just so unnatural and neither of them should or would ever do that. When watching that case, I kept thinking how it would have been so much better had we seen the same confrontation in court. It's the one case where they could have used a similar system as the main games... if only for the Gregory scenes. Instead, it's basically just a mess with an "ace attorney" acting no different than Miles when he loses his badge and tries to interfere with investigations that aren't his. Putting this aside, the crime itself is so lackluster. To think that the incident was the case that ended Gregory's life, put an end to Von Karma's perfect record and ended Miles' dream of becoming an attorney... A murder in a pastry contest to win a book with pharmaceutical recipes because of a taste deficiency? Utterly stupid, yet somehow completely predictable. Not to mention that all the new characters introduced were awful. This rant is over yeah.

Well,
Spoiler: Case 3
Von Karma was slight weaker than 16 years after, but I didn't ever feel that he is terribly weak or something. The only time he was 'defeated' was when talking about the location of the body; but that logic of Gregory was too sudden and unexpected and that's the only reason that make Von Karma seems weak. Still, Von Karma is strong enough. I want to point this out, before 'defeated', Von Karma allowed to investigate Delicy's room for distract Gregory's reasoning, and Gregory showed some evidence that Von Karma already know(he was going to talk with Kazami but was refused), and Von Karma gave him another information to make him quiet. I can't call this showing their trumps each other.

Actually this is Gyakuten Kenji(Turnabout Prosecutor) or Ace Attorney Investigations, so being a defense attorney in court doesn't fit for the game. Even in playing as defense attorney, the game still should be Investigation and protagonist should act like prosecutor. Moreover in this time the investigation part is much more important than trial. Imagine if there was the trial scene to play, all you can see would be Gregory and Von Karma that argue each other 1 year with repeated and very pointless topic, no more new information but fake autopsy report, no truth revealed, and the final verdict is guilty. Who would enjoy that?


Jammin' Ninja wrote:
Spoiler: Case 5
The final antagonist was great. I actually didn't really see it coming lol. Looking back, I should have guessed because he kept coming back, but the crime scenes were so full of people that at some point I just assumed that anyone that had made an appearance since Case 1 without being indicted or killed would just tag along for the remainder of the game... so I didn't really think much of it. It only occured to me when Edgy determined that Knight(ley) was one of the two lost kids. I guess after so many games it's getting harder and harder to surprise people with the final villain so to use the kid you were supposed to defend and trust was a good twist.

Agreed.
I'm Korean, I beg your apology for my horrible english grammer.
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wax Philosophical Power Hour

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7717

I'm currently watching case 5 one "chapter" per day so tomorrow I'll be finishing it and I can't wait! The previous cases, especially 1 and 2, seemed like a long take-off even though they weren't bad, but this final case is really good so far. In general, it's a quite good game, but not fantastic as the previous games have been (I haven't played AAI 1 yet). Seperately the cases didn't stand out that much to me, but as a whole I like them, as they're all connected, which I think is pretty cool.
Seeing Gregory was amazing, but as Jammin' Ninja said, the case itself was pretty blah, especially considering what happened after it was brought to court- it should've been more... iconic?

As people have said before, the returning characters in this game aren't that well-handled, it feels like they've stretched some of their traits too far. But even so it feels like Edgeworth at least got a little character development in this game as well, [Case 5 spoiler]
Spoiler:
When he's nice to Yumihiko and encourages him, and then of course there's Yumihikos own character development, even though I really liked him as a thick brat as well
and the cast as a whole is pretty bland, with a few exceptions.

In my opinion case 1 wasn't that exciting at all, mostly it felt like a drawn out beginning. Case 2 started of pretty well but it wass too damn long. I liked case three, but that was because of Gregory and young Shigaraki, not the case itself. Case 4 was good, not amazing but it raised my expectations. And case five is really nice so far. After all, I can't pass judgement before I've seen the grand finale. The "mastermind", damn... I had not-really-accidentally spoiled it a while ago, but I still felt shocked when Edgey found it out. Woow.

And... Will Powers' sprites are the most hideous I've seen in a long time. Bye.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wax Philosophical Power Hour

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7717

Jammin' Ninja wrote:
Moreover,
Spoiler: Case 5
Penny Nichols is probably the most confusing cameo ever. She's so bland, what's the point of bringing her back??? Will Powers was almost as unnecessary. The same goes with Ema and Lotta. At least they spared us Oldbag.


Spoiler:
I thoguht the whole point of bringing Penny back was because she's bland and forgettable (didn't the developers even say that if you remember her name it shows that you're a real fan or something like that?). If that's the reason, or should I say lack thereof, I think it's quite funny. :pokeman: And about Ema: yes oh yes. That was so unnecessary I don't even... I mean, at least Penny and Lotta had an in-game reason to be around, Ema just showed up for no reason whatsoever, let Edgeworth spray a bit of Luminol and then... went home or something. Not that I dislike Ema, but why?!

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yatta.

Gender: Female

Location: LA, Japanifornia

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Posts: 6136

Paul Sohn wrote:
But Ema...? No, she isn't a cameo. Edgeworth couldn't arrest the Mastermind without her scientific investigation.

Maybe this is why she didn't pass that exam and enter into forensics. Always having to babysit Edgeworth through his scientific investigations really puts a toll on her, especially with the jet lag.

...New headcanon.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
Various official AA stuff translations currently in the works.
Updated to include tributes and more to the Yakuza game series. I'm forever trapped in karaoke hell.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
...New headcanon.

Agreed.
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Posts: 7

Paul Sohn wrote:
That's GK1. Take a look carefully in timeline.
Spoiler: Case Timeline
Turnabout Target is on March 25th, solved before the day end
The Imprisoned Turnabout is on March 27th, solved in the morning of March 29th
The Inherited Turnabout(gas terror incident) is on April 2nd, solved before the day end, and also IS-7 incident is solved that day
Turnabout Oblivion is on April 5th, solved in the morning of April 6th
The Grand Turnabout is on April 6th, solved just before the day end, and Edgeworth got his badge back on April 8th

It took 2 weeks totally to solve all.


I stand corrected! Thanks.

Quote:
I agree that there are TOO much cameos. Even in case 5, ALL SIDE CHARACTERS ARE CAMEO that was in GS1, except Aizawa(I heard his localized name is John) and Swift.
But Ema...? No, she isn't a cameo. Edgeworth couldn't arrest the Mastermind without her scientific investigation.


Yes, no lol. She definitely is a cameo lol. Throughout the GK games, whenever Edgeworth wants scientific evidence, all he has to do is to call a forensic guy and he gets the results within minutes. I know that she sprays luminol in the auction room back when the law was against Edgeworth, but do you really believe that the writers didn't craft their story JUST so that Ema would randomly be included? They could have written the story slightly differently and it wouldn't have affected the main plot in any way, shape or form.

Quote:
Well,
Spoiler: Case 3
Von Karma was slight weaker than 16 years after, but I didn't ever feel that he is terribly weak or something. The only time he was 'defeated' was when talking about the location of the body; but that logic of Gregory was too sudden and unexpected and that's the only reason that make Von Karma seems weak. Still, Von Karma is strong enough. I want to point this out, before 'defeated', Von Karma allowed to investigate Delicy's room for distract Gregory's reasoning, and Gregory showed some evidence that Von Karma already know(he was going to talk with Kazami but was refused), and Von Karma gave him another information to make him quiet. I can't call this showing their trumps each other.

Actually this is Gyakuten Kenji(Turnabout Prosecutor) or Ace Attorney Investigations, so being a defense attorney in court doesn't fit for the game. Even in playing as defense attorney, the game still should be Investigation and protagonist should act like prosecutor. Moreover in this time the investigation part is much more important than trial. Imagine if there was the trial scene to play, all you can see would be Gregory and Von Karma that argue each other 1 year with repeated and very pointless topic, no more new information but fake autopsy report, no truth revealed, and the final verdict is guilty. Who would enjoy that?


Spoiler: Case 3
Say what you will, but the confrontation between Gregory and Von Karma made absolutely no sense and was only done this way to try to work with the GK gameplay mechanics. Manfred Von Karma wouldn't have lost any time with a defense attorney, let alone revealed his line of logic off court to a "mere defense attorney". He may have been a weaker prosecutor 16 years before 1-4, but he was still just as obsessed with perfection (crazy enough about it to kill a man). I know what the game is about, but it would have been much better had they diverted from their m.o. if only for half again rather than force us to go through this absurdity. And the one year thing is something that they chose to add to the plot, it wasn't necessary and even if it was, they could have just flash forward to the final day in court. Sure Gregory loses as we all know he would, but we get to expose the fake autopsy report thing and Gregory's story has an anti-climatic ending that leads the player eager to right the wrong as Gregory's son.
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wax Philosophical Power Hour

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7717

Game epilogue
Spoiler:
Oh my shit. Edgeworth's gonna give Gumshoe a raise. Hands down the best moment in the entire game.

I... think I need a moment.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Ace Animator

Gender: Male

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:21 pm

Posts: 146

Finally had the time to play through the patch, gotta say the translation team did excellent work and I cant seem to find any major flaws in the patch.

I too found the first case to be to complicated and long for a standard 1st trial in an ace attorney game.

I do enjoy when the series isn't afraid to get difficult, as the second case jumps quick to a difficulty harder than one would expect for a second trial.

All I can remark about Raymond Shields at this point is that I'm always reminded of fanmade characters when I see his sprite/design. I'm not sure why.

It was really cool to see the characters from AA1 and 2 re appear. I always wished Regina Berry was a murderous child who was the real culprit of her fathers death and was the puppet-master of that case.

Playing as gumshoe= technically the first time detective work has been played by the player using an actual detective.
Those 2 seconds as him were amazing though.

By now in the series, I can tell by the sprite of the character who the murderer is going to be.

Not sure if its the direct translation from Japanese or part of the game, but people seem to acknowledge each other's name puns more than normal (before debest's usage).

because story telling is a tricky thing, the subtleties in the phrases throughout the game give me impressions that I keep arguing with in my head if they're just due to the direct translation. it's like a cross-examination in my mind.

The events in this game, though they appear to happen in as short of a time frame as the 1st AAI game, have a lot more cause and effect to them. In the first game, edgeworth is coincidentally thrown in the midst of a bunch of murders one day after another, in like less than a week or 2 (excluding the flashback) being in the wrong place at the wrong time (being involved in murder cases) 4 times in those few of days is insane.

but not so in this game (so far as I know) case 1 he's not involved until summoned, and case 2 there was a reason for him to be at the prison and the next murder was set in motion- more realistic

just random thoughts, love the game so far

*urgently searches for a ladder in the next few cases*

(yeah i know it's not a "direct translation")

EDIT: seeing no one has posted since i've last posted, and i've beat/watched the game.....

case 3
Spoiler:
-I always find the tactics used by the public when these cases happen are ridiculous. I mean really no one thought to ask (during the past part) the alibi's of the only possible suspects until edgeworth siphons them out?

-I'm not sure if it can be technically a first for the ace attorney series that one of the cases is not a murder trial. Technically no one died during the time the case took place, just during the flashback half of the case. However also technically, the case from the past wasn't finished, so i guess you could bunch it all together. T&T also had almost a non murder case but that changed quickly

-that russian guy should have just passed off his desserts as the shape they ended up being. only using those air puffer things to morph even simple sculptures probably is skillful, its just they weren't what he meant to make

-It feels weird playing as edgeworth's father and being in his mind. there was always the image of edgeworth father that existed simply from his influence on miles, and dl6, but when you see his thoughts, its like he's just like edgeworth or phoenix. and he cant stop talking about his son.


case 4
Spoiler:
-In the video playthrough, kay is startled at her attacker's appearance in the park. the playthrough-er translated the opening movie with her exclaiming essentially "wait! but you're..." hinting that she recognized her assailant. she doesn't ever tell edgeworth what she remembers when she was assaulted, nor does edgeworth ever asked what her relationship to tiggany was (because of the letters)

-i don't remember the jammin mask ever being used as evidence

-dropping your badge on a counter and saying you quit being a prosecutor doesn't remove any privileges you have of being a prosecutor, so he had all the right to still investigate (in this universe's laws)


case 5
Spoiler:
-not sure why lang inturrupted the trial of the warden. both characters would be put in jail for murder charges, and after the info from simon's whole case, that doesn't change their verdict.

-that tape footage of the president's fake totally looks like he's nude

-this game doesnt really know how shelly works as an assasin, sure he'll be gone without you knowing, but he's not supposed to be caught on tape for his murders, so shouldnt openly chatting with the public (aka edgeworth) go against that?


completed game
Spoiler:
-obvious theme of this game was edgworth trying to decide which path he'll take a a either a prosecutor or as a defense attorney. the game show a change from the calculative and rational mind of the opponent prosecutor edgeworth, to the defender of rightousness later, all triggered by a slice of humble pie delivered by the ace attorney not shown in this game. but it appears to be kinda a stretch at the end to explain what his decision to save people as a prosecutor really means

-if the 3 of them are the new yatagaratsu, perhaps kay is destined to become a prosectutor'

-gotta love background phoenix, mere days from losing his badge

- I don't like how the last AAi game took place in only 3 days and some of the cases edgeworth would have had to have the worst luck to have ended up being part of. this game does it better, ie there's a reason he's at every case now. it's still just a rather short timeframe

-odd cameos, but i still enjoy seeing these characters again

-they never even consider Regina a possible culprit, so they never get her alibi. I'd love to think she's the real mastermind behind all the murders.

-I like my AA games to have challenge, leaving may questions about a crime scene unanswered until you physically find it out. The last 2 cases felt like my hand was being held the whole time.

-as the webcomic illustrator references here: http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php? ... mic=123013

the games present some rather obvious clues that tie together, which the main characters are entirely oblivious to until they come to it in a bout of incredibly complex and convoluted explanation. one look at most of the crimescenes, and you can instantly make an idea as to what the killer tried to do, but the game will take a good hour of discussion before you reach this point and then you can progress the story along.

-yeah all together i miss the challenges in some of the 1st games like "the only possible clue that i'm right is hidden in this complex photograph, and I have to examine it here and now to find out"

-this game had a ton of similarities to J4A if even just the kidnapping/assassin plot


-whatev, good game. I wish someone had a translated PLvs PW playthrough, but since that game's likely not canon, there no reason not to play dual destinies and wait for its release
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Your Honor! There is a contradiction!

Gender: Female

Location: Northern California

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 10:08 pm

Posts: 701

This is pretty much a big spoiler for The end of the game..

Regarding The Grand Turnabout (Case 5)
Spoiler:
I absolutely LOVE this case, it's on the top three, just under Bridge to the Turnabout and third to Farewell my turnabout.
This case is pretty much Ace Attorney Grand Finales done RIGHT. The Characters were dead on, especially the new ones introduced, like Hikari's son and the whole plot with the President's heritage. I also love how they managed to tie the villain into ALL the cases Edgeworth had been in, being a true mastermind unlike Quercas Alba. He felt so much more....evil and sinister, and yet I still felt bad for him after I learned his story.

I admit I'm not good at details, but I feel like The Grand Turnabout was a picture perfect way to end the game. And Detective Gumshoe's raise helps pal! :sparkly-maggey:

Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

The more time passes, the less I like the last case. It just feels so... contrived.
Spoiler: Case 5
Seriously, Souta had "Ou" tied up and suspended from the hot air balloon in the perfect way that it looked like he was going up the stairs at the film studio at the exact frame that they happened to check the film out? Really?

Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1545

Bad Player wrote:
The more time passes, the less I like the last case. It just feels so... contrived.
Spoiler: Case 5
Seriously, Souta had "Ou" tied up and suspended from the hot air balloon in the perfect way that it looked like he was going up the stairs at the film studio at the exact frame that they happened to check the film out? Really?

Spoiler: Case5
I'd assume "Ou" was still slightly frozen so his muscles were contracted (hence his arms being in the strange position they were in), which was why he looked the way he did on film. I will admit that it felt like the most contrived part of the case to me (and it felt like an unnecessary complication since Edgeworth glossed over the explanation) but it didn't seem any more unrealistic that swinging a corpse across a cliff like a pendelum



I thought I'd give my thoughts about this game. First of all, it's by far my favorite AA game, including the main series. While I do believe some of the complaints for this game (and the previous one) have some merit, I disagree with a lot of them. I also just want to say right out that I actually like Kay Faraday and she's my favorite assistant out of the six, because that seems to be a common complaint about these games

Spoiler: Case 1
I LOVE this case. One of the criticisms about this case that I think if unfounded is that it's too long for a tutorial case. I 100% disagree. I always get disappointed when the AA games have cases with disappointing length. Really, we only have like 3 real cases per game. The tutorial is usually a throwaway case that's very "meh" and if the game has five cases, case 4 is usually half of case 5 (a big reason I like the Investigations series is that we get five full cases). I appreciate that we got five amazing cases from this game and case one wasn't just a lazy throwaway. It had good twists, good characters, a great villain, and a great turnabout. Plus, it has only one cameo (de Killer) and he's essential to the story. The only weak part about this case is that the villain's motive is really lame. I guess it has a nice parallel at the end, but it was kind of lame. At the very least, this case didn't need a villain with a complicated method.

And I know this is a common complaint with many of the AA cases, but it was ridiculous to still suspect Hayami at a certain point. It wasn't awful like some other cases, but once we found the bloody bullet in the TV, was it possible Hayami fired it? She was at the left side of the stage and hit Tojiro's right armpit (which already seems unlikely, because he'd be facing away from her) and then the bullet ricocheted off a wall in the plane and hit the monitor? Made no sense

I'm not sure if I like this case or the tutorial for AJ more. I don't know. It's up in the air to be honest. Today, I feel like I like this one more, but it can change any day.

AAI2-1>4-1>5-1>AAI-1>3-1>2-1>1-1


Spoiler: Case 2
I'm surprised many hated this case, as it's my second-favorite second case of the series. First of all, the premise itself is intriguing; the villain from the previous case was murdered in a prison. Considering I loved Naito, it's already got me motivated to catch the person who murdered him. A big complaint about this case is that the characters are forgettable and boring. This is true since Miwa, Orinaka, and Sarushiro certainly aren't that interesting, but I love Hoinbo and he's very Ace Attorney-esque. This case also introudces Yumihiko and Mikagami, who I think are great additions to the cast (well, Mikagami is no Shi-Long-Lang).

I also think the motive for murder in this case is one of the better one's in the series, even without having the entire game in context. A woman was fearing for her life and the life of her family, so she mistakingly killed a man who she believed was going to kill her.

Overall, I thought this case was very solid. I don't think it needed the Orinaka subplot or the video footage of "Naito" being killed by the dog, and I also didn't think this case needed to have the animal theme at the prison. I didn't get bored of the case, though, and was interested the entire way through

2-2>AAI2-2>AAI-2>4-2 (yup)>3-2>5-2>1-2


Spoiler: Case 3
Fantastic. That's really all I can say. It's far and away the best non-finale case in the series. I really can't find anything I hate about it. I would've wished the villain was a bit more resilient (and after his confession, Tenkai should've been released from prison regardless of whether we caught the villain or not), but that's about it.

As for the criticisms about von Karma not being resilient, keep in mind that Gregory is his greatest enemy. Gregory is exposing all his weaknesses in front of everyone. I like to think that von Karma didn't gain his confidence until after Gregory died. Also, keep in mind that von Karma never had to frame Edgeworth for murder. He did it so Edgeworth would never find out the truth

AAI2-3>5-3>AAI-3 (yup)>3-3>4-3>2-3>1-3


Spoiler: Case 4
Definitely the weakest one of the game for sure. It's pretty good, but I kind of just got frustrated with Kay. I understand what the writers were going for, but I don't think we needed Edgeworth to go through the, "Don't worry. I won't give up, no matter what!" speech to her every five minutes.

Also, I was just expecting more from Bansai. I agree with an earlier poster who said they were trying to go for someone like Gant but failed miserably. I also agree that this case ended WAY too quickly. i was expecting....I dunno. Something else? Is a coincidental face burn all that was needed to take him down? Most killers would say, "It's just a coincidence." It had some good twists along the way but I was expecting this case to be more than what it actually was

2-4>1-4>3-4>AAI-4>AAI2-4>5-4>4-4


Spoiler: Case 5
My favorite case in the series. Actually, this or Rise from the Ashes. I don't know. It ties everything together so perfectly and has one of the best turnabouts in the entire series (the President was killed twelve years ago!)

The final villain is definitely my favorite villain of the series. Unexpected and he's so cocky and maniacal. I feel like he could've easily gotten away with the murder if he just kept his mouth shut but we had to have Edgeworth catch him somehow, I guess.

Also, Gumshoe gets his raise. Awesome


Spoiler: Entire Game
I don't really understand the "too many cameos" criticism with this series to be honest. The Takumi games had a lot of unnecessary ones as well. The Stolen Turnabout had Larry, Adrian, and Pearl. I dunno. I guess it just never bothered me that much

Some things that bothered me:

-The glossed over explanation with Sota lowering "Ou" to the ground

-Tateyuki Shigaraki...I was expecting more from him. He was fine in Case 2 and I really liked him in Case 3 (especially his younger self) but he didn't really develop at all or do anything significant or memorable

-How did Hoinbo get arrested? Edgeworth prosecuted him but I thought this was for the SS-5 Incident? Edgeworth wasn't even a Prosecutor twelve years ago. I don't know. It just confused the hell out of me

-Why did Bansai forge the autopsy report for the IS-7 incident and why did the coroner go along with it? I feel like this was something that NEEDED to be explained, but it wasn't

-I agree with an earlier poster who said too many people were in a room at once. I lost track of who was where often :/

I had some other things to mention but I forgot...
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

I combined your posts. Try not to double post in the future, please :phoenix:

Anyway...

JesusMonroe wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
The more time passes, the less I like the last case. It just feels so... contrived.
Spoiler: Case 5
Seriously, Souta had "Ou" tied up and suspended from the hot air balloon in the perfect way that it looked like he was going up the stairs at the film studio at the exact frame that they happened to check the film out? Really?

Spoiler: Case5
I'd assume "Ou" was still slightly frozen so his muscles were contracted (hence his arms being in the strange position they were in), which was why he looked the way he did on film. I will admit that it felt like the most contrived part of the case to me (and it felt like an unnecessary complication since Edgeworth glossed over the explanation) but it didn't seem any more unrealistic that swinging a corpse across a cliff like a pendelum

Spoiler:
Corpse pendulum is weird, but at least it's kind of realistic. Having a corpse just happen to get caught on film at that one moment... Besides, wasn't that supposed to be a video? I understand that it's just a still shot to make it easier for the developers, but for the actual characters in-game, shouldn't they have been able to watch the film, and if they had done that, shouldn't it have been clear he wasn't actually walking up stairs? :yogi:



Quote:
I thought I'd give my thoughts about this game. First of all, it's by far my favorite AA game, including the main series. While I do believe some of the complaints for this game (and the previous one) have some merit, I disagree with a lot of them. I also just want to say right out that I actually like Kay Faraday and she's my favorite assistant out of the six, because that seems to be a common complaint about these games

Yesyesyes. It's hard for me to decide between Trucy and GK2!Kay, but they're definitely my favorites.

Quote:
Spoiler: Case 1
I LOVE this case. One of the criticisms about this case that I think if unfounded is that it's too long for a tutorial case. I 100% disagree. I always get disappointed when the AA games have cases with disappointing length. Really, we only have like 3 real cases per game. The tutorial is usually a throwaway case that's very "meh" and if the game has five cases, case 4 is usually half of case 5 (a big reason I like the Investigations series is that we get five full cases). I appreciate that we got five amazing cases from this game and case one wasn't just a lazy throwaway. It had good twists, good characters, a great villain, and a great turnabout. Plus, it has only one cameo (de Killer) and he's essential to the story. The only weak part about this case is that the villain's motive is really lame. I guess it has a nice parallel at the end, but it was kind of lame. At the very least, this case didn't need a villain with a complicated method.

And I know this is a common complaint with many of the AA cases, but it was ridiculous to still suspect Hayami at a certain point. It wasn't awful like some other cases, but once we found the bloody bullet in the TV, was it possible Hayami fired it? She was at the left side of the stage and hit Tojiro's right armpit (which already seems unlikely, because he'd be facing away from her) and then the bullet ricocheted off a wall in the plane and hit the monitor? Made no sense

I'm not sure if I like this case or the tutorial for AJ more. I don't know. It's up in the air to be honest. Today, I feel like I like this one more, but it can change any day.

AAI2-1>4-1>5-1>AAI-1>3-1>2-1>1-1

Spoiler:
I don't get that complaint either... They're pretty much saying that the case is 'too good'? What?

Also the person pushing for Hayami's guilt the most was Naitou, and he had a pretty good reason for that, so...


Quote:
Spoiler: Case 2
I'm surprised many hated this case, as it's my second-favorite second case of the series. First of all, the premise itself is intriguing; the villain from the previous case was murdered in a prison. Considering I loved Naito, it's already got me motivated to catch the person who murdered him. A big complaint about this case is that the characters are forgettable and boring. This is true since Miwa, Orinaka, and Sarushiro certainly aren't that interesting, but I love Hoinbo and he's very Ace Attorney-esque. This case also introudces Yumihiko and Mikagami, who I think are great additions to the cast (well, Mikagami is no Shi-Long-Lang).

I also think the motive for murder in this case is one of the better one's in the series, even without having the entire game in context. A woman was fearing for her life and the life of her family, so she mistakingly killed a man who she believed was going to kill her.

Overall, I thought this case was very solid. I don't think it needed the Orinaka subplot or the video footage of "Naito" being killed by the dog, and I also didn't think this case needed to have the animal theme at the prison. I didn't get bored of the case, though, and was interested the entire way through

2-2>AAI2-2>AAI-2>4-2 (yup)>3-2>5-2>1-2

Spoiler:
I like this case too, although I like the other ones in the game better. I thought Miwa's theme was pretty boss, although I didn't really like Ryouken much. (I didn't realize the meaning of his shirt until, like, my third playthrough of the case... herp derp.)

I also love Yumihiko and Mikagami. So many people who have played the patch hate them and call them idiots, but... ugh. Yumihiko is an idiot, but that's his character, and part of the whole parody/subversion of the young genius attorney thing the franchise has done. And Mikagami isn't an idiot at all; she knows exactly what she's doing, and understands that Yumihiko and his theories are stupid, but has a very good reason for playing along with them (as is revealed later in the game).

I thought this case was very GS-esque. No matter what you did, the killer was Souta!

When Naitou's cell's keys were stolen and they searched his cell, I'm not sure how the police didn't find the gigantic hole underneath his bed. Also, I found the motive pretty stupid initially. Fearing for your life? Okay. Making a connection like that and committing murder because of a chess game? Uh, no. (Granted, it makes a lot more sense in the context of the full game.)


Quote:
Spoiler: Case 3
Fantastic. That's really all I can say. It's far and away the best non-finale case in the series. I really can't find anything I hate about it. I would've wished the villain was a bit more resilient (and after his confession, Tenkai should've been released from prison regardless of whether we caught the villain or not), but that's about it.

As for the criticisms about von Karma not being resilient, keep in mind that Gregory is his greatest enemy. Gregory is exposing all his weaknesses in front of everyone. I like to think that von Karma didn't gain his confidence until after Gregory died. Also, keep in mind that von Karma never had to frame Edgeworth for murder. He did it so Edgeworth would never find out the truth

AAI2-3>5-3>AAI-3 (yup)>3-3>4-3>2-3>1-3

Spoiler:
Yeah I loved this case too. I think von Karma was von Karma even at this time, but I also don't think he wasn't very not-resilient. I mean, this was just during a random investigation, not during court. He didn't have a reason to act as invincible. Plus, his preparations weren't entirely complete.


Quote:
Spoiler: Case 4
Definitely the weakest one of the game for sure. It's pretty good, but I kind of just got frustrated with Kay. I understand what the writers were going for, but I don't think we needed Edgeworth to go through the, "Don't worry. I won't give up, no matter what!" speech to her every five minutes.

Also, I was just expecting more from Bansai. I agree with an earlier poster who said they were trying to go for someone like Gant but failed miserably. I also agree that this case ended WAY too quickly. i was expecting....I dunno. Something else? Is a coincidental face burn all that was needed to take him down? Most killers would say, "It's just a coincidence." It had some good twists along the way but I was expecting this case to be more than what it actually was

2-4>1-4>3-4>AAI-4>AAI2-4>5-4>4-4

Spoiler:
This case had a fantastic beginning and then... sorta fell off at the end. I didn't like how the final evidence was handed to you five minutes before you needed it, and I thought the explanation for Kay's memories was kinda lame.

I liked Edgey supporting Kay the entire time,though :)

Also, I think part of the reason Bansai gave up so quickly is because he thought he'd be able to forge/buy his way out of a guilty verdict anyway, so it didn't matter to him if he was arrested at that point in time.


Quote:
Spoiler: Case 5
My favorite case in the series. Actually, this or Rise from the Ashes. I don't know. It ties everything together so perfectly and has one of the best turnabouts in the entire series (the President was killed twelve years ago!)

The final villain is definitely my favorite villain of the series. Unexpected and he's so cocky and maniacal. I feel like he could've easily gotten away with the murder if he just kept his mouth shut but we had to have Edgeworth catch him somehow, I guess.

Also, Gumshoe gets his raise. Awesome

Spoiler:
Like I said, I like this the less the more time passes... It has a lot of 'wow' factor, but is kinda eh when it all wears off. Bringing back and filling in Lang's backstory was neat. And his Japanese voice clip is amazing. (Second-best after Naitou-sama's.)

The villain and his theme were definitely great. The problem wasn't that he wouldn't shut up, though... It was that Regina just happened to take that letter and then forget about it until that moment! I also felt the whole assassin showdown thing at the end was silly... ~_~

And yes. Gummy got a raise! So great.


Quote:
Spoiler: Entire Game
I don't really understand the "too many cameos" criticism with this series to be honest. The Takumi games had a lot of unnecessary ones as well. The Stolen Turnabout had Larry, Adrian, and Pearl. I dunno. I guess it just never bothered me that much

Some things that bothered me:

-The glossed over explanation with Sota lowering "Ou" to the ground

-Tateyuki Shigaraki...I was expecting more from him. He was fine in Case 2 and I really liked him in Case 3 (especially his younger self) but he didn't really develop at all or do anything significant or memorable

-How did Hoinbo get arrested? Edgeworth prosecuted him but I thought this was for the SS-5 Incident? Edgeworth wasn't even a Prosecutor twelve years ago. I don't know. It just confused the hell out of me

-Why did Bansai forge the autopsy report for the IS-7 incident and why did the coroner go along with it? I feel like this was something that NEEDED to be explained, but it wasn't

-I agree with an earlier poster who said too many people were in a room at once. I lost track of who was where often :/

I had some other things to mention but I forgot...

Spoiler:
To be honest, I'm fine with the cameos. I really like original characters, but returning ones are neat, too. I just wish they would add new characters to the last case... (I mean, I-5 had two new characters, and GK2-5 only added one?!) It was totally worth it seeing Frank attack Edgey~

-Yeah that was so weird. I think he just tied Ou to the hot air balloon, but... nobody on the ground noticed him? And he happened to get caught on film at that precise moment? Ugh.

-Ugh Shigaraki. Yeah, I didn't like him either. His older self, that is. I was glad that he had less and less of a role with each successive case.

-IIRC Ryouken got arrested for some other random incident, a while later, and was prosecuted by Edgey. He was already suspected/wanted for his previous murders (such as SS-5), but never caught.

-They needed to forge the autopsy report because they didn't have the body, so they couldn't do an autopsy. And they didn't want to admit they didn't have the body, because they couldn't explain what Tenkai would have done with it. I don't remember why Bansai did it... I imagine it was actually Manfred who did it, or Manny nagged Bansai into it. Then they probably nagged/strongarmed the coroner into it.

-Yeah, that was my complaint. I didn't lose track of who was who, but I thought it felt weird to have a dozen people in the room, and then over half of them just standing there doing nothing.

Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1545

Bad Player wrote:
I combined your posts. Try not to double post in the future, please :phoenix:
Spoiler:
Corpse pendulum is weird, but at least it's kind of realistic. Having a corpse just happen to get caught on film at that one moment... Besides, wasn't that supposed to be a video? I understand that it's just a still shot to make it easier for the developers, but for the actual characters in-game, shouldn't they have been able to watch the film, and if they had done that, shouldn't it have been clear he wasn't actually walking up stairs? :yogi:


Sorry for the double post :will:

Spoiler: Case 5
They said the video ended right after earlier in the case that so they probably assumed he was going to walk up the stairs. As for the previous sections of the video he wasn't in, he was at the very edge of the frame so they probably assumed he walked right in. It is contrived, but at least they weren't trying to say Sota deliberately tried to get caught on video

I don't really want to get on a tangent about the pendulum but it just never seemed feasible to me. I don't let it bother me that much, but wouldn't Elise definitely fall in the river as soon as the rope got taut at it's lowest point? Why was she released at the highest point? Why didn't they just throw the body into the river? That way, they could make it seem like anyone on either side of the bridge committed the crime





Quote:
Yesyesyes. It's hard for me to decide between Trucy and GK2!Kay, but they're definitely my favorites.

Agreed, but I also liked Kay in GK1.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Also the person pushing for Hayami's guilt the most was Naitou, and he had a pretty good reason for that, so...


Spoiler: Case 1
I suppose, but I thought it should've been brought up by someone (though they did mention the implausiblity of Hayami hitting her target. It was a cool trick on Naito's part to switch the guns, though, and some fast thinking, because he did it at a point where Edgeworth figuring out the truth wasn't as likely


Quote:
Spoiler:
I like this case too, although I like the other ones in the game better. I thought Miwa's theme was pretty boss, although I didn't really like Ryouken much. (I didn't realize the meaning of his shirt until, like, my third playthrough of the case... herp derp.)

I also love Yumihiko and Mikagami. So many people who have played the patch hate them and call them idiots, but... ugh. Yumihiko is an idiot, but that's his character, and part of the whole parody/subversion of the young genius attorney thing the franchise has done. And Mikagami isn't an idiot at all; she knows exactly what she's doing, and understands that Yumihiko and his theories are stupid, but has a very good reason for playing along with them (as is revealed later in the game).

I thought this case was very GS-esque. No matter what you did, the killer was Souta!

When Naitou's cell's keys were stolen and they searched his cell, I'm not sure how the police didn't find the gigantic hole underneath his bed. Also, I found the motive pretty stupid initially. Fearing for your life? Okay. Making a connection like that and committing murder because of a chess game? Uh, no. (Granted, it makes a lot more sense in the context of the full game.)


Spoiler: Case 3
I liked Miwa's theme, too, and I did think she was a pretty good villain, but she was pretty obviously the killer from the moment you laid your eyes on her (though that's true for most cases in the series)

I loved Yumihiko and thought he should've been one of the four characters on the cover instead of Shigaraki. Yumihiko was just so much fun to be around and his testimonies were hilarious. I remember rolling my eyes when they mentioned that he was another perfect prosecutor. The direction they went with it was great and he has a great arc throughout the game. Mikagami was also a pretty good rival, but the, "Take your badge" shtick got kind of old

Something I did appreciate about this case is that Mikagami's insistence on the killer being Souta actually made a lot of sense and was very much possible.

The police missing the hole under the bed was dumb, especially since that's one of the few places you would look for keys. They could've even explained it by saying Orinaka removed the floorboards and placed them back, so it didn't make a hole. As for the motive, Miwa didn't base all of it off the chess game. There was also the hidden chisel with the bell attached to it, which was Hoinbo's signature weapon. That pretty much screamed to her, "Hoinbo gave him this weapon. He's going to kill me."


Quote:
Spoiler:
This case had a fantastic beginning and then... sorta fell off at the end. I didn't like how the final evidence was handed to you five minutes before you needed it, and I thought the explanation for Kay's memories was kinda lame.

I liked Edgey supporting Kay the entire time,though :)

Also, I think part of the reason Bansai gave up so quickly is because he thought he'd be able to forge/buy his way out of a guilty verdict anyway, so it didn't matter to him if he was arrested at that point in time.


Spoiler: Case 4
I definitely liked the beginning a lot more than the end. I just feel like the ending could've been bigger. I thought it would be better if Toko Muto got a cross examination where we slowly pieced together she was the accomplice and how her and Bansai accomplished everything, rather than simply saying, "You forged the autopsy report! Now confess everything!" (and really, she could've just said she mixed up what her grandmother said. Plus, it was pretty hypocritical of her grandmother to criticize her for that when she did the exact same thing 18 years ago)

That's a good point on Bansai, but they should've given some indication that it was about to end (I mean, I guess they DID alredy play Confronation-Presto) or have a final testimony. It ended so suddenly that I just kind of stared at the screen for a while. Plus, this is the villain that's so evil, his IGIARI made me jump out of my skin. He pretty much started everything in the series, so I felt he should've had a bigger sendoff.


Quote:
Spoiler:
Like I said, I like this the less the more time passes... It has a lot of 'wow' factor, but is kinda eh when it all wears off. Bringing back and filling in Lang's backstory was neat. And his Japanese voice clip is amazing. (Second-best after Naitou-sama's.)

The villain and his theme were definitely great. The problem wasn't that he wouldn't shut up, though... It was that Regina just happened to take that letter and then forget about it until that moment! I also felt the whole assassin showdown thing at the end was silly... ~_~

And yes. Gummy got a raise! So great.


Spoiler: Case 5
I also liked Lang's voice clip, as well as Simon's Japanese "Silence!" I think I prefer all of the Japanese voice clips more than the originals when it comes to antagonists/rivals. Now that I think about it, the Investigations series gives people a lot more voice clips than the main series for some reason (though I'm pretty sure Yumihiko's is just Apollo's reused). I wish the villains in cases 5-3 and 5-5 got their own voice clips

Anyway, I forgot to mention the villain theme! All of the music in this game is pretty fantastic actually and it deserves its own thread. I also liked the villain theme for Case 3 earlier. The revelation that Sota was playing correspondence chess wasn't a huge blow against him, though. He could've just said, "So? I helped two of my friends play chess. Nothing suspicious about that! *juggles chipmunks*" Instead, he explained his entire motive for the case (which is probably the best and most personal motive in the series)

What I like about the whole case is that they handle the "Whodunnit", "Whydunnit" and "Howdunnit" VERY well and surprised me with every single aspect of it (but like mentioned earlier, the "Ou" puppet was kind of silly). The whole "Great Monster" aspect of the case was where the "How" shined. Plus, this case finished Yumihiko's arc, Mikagami's arc, Edgeworth's arc (I want to save people as a Prosecutor), and even gives Shimon his own little arc. That kid's probably one of my favorite single-case characters


Quote:
Spoiler:
To be honest, I'm fine with the cameos. I really like original characters, but returning ones are neat, too. I just wish they would add new characters to the last case... (I mean, I-5 had two new characters, and GK2-5 only added one?!) It was totally worth it seeing Frank attack Edgey~

-Yeah that was so weird. I think he just tied Ou to the hot air balloon, but... nobody on the ground noticed him? And he happened to get caught on film at that precise moment? Ugh.

-Ugh Shigaraki. Yeah, I didn't like him either. His older self, that is. I was glad that he had less and less of a role with each successive case.

-IIRC Ryouken got arrested for some other random incident, a while later, and was prosecuted by Edgey. He was already suspected/wanted for his previous murders (such as SS-5), but never caught.

-They needed to forge the autopsy report because they didn't have the body, so they couldn't do an autopsy. And they didn't want to admit they didn't have the body, because they couldn't explain what Tenkai would have done with it. I don't remember why Bansai did it... I imagine it was actually Manfred who did it, or Manny nagged Bansai into it. Then they probably nagged/strongarmed the coroner into it.

-Yeah, that was my complaint. I didn't lose track of who was who, but I thought it felt weird to have a dozen people in the room, and then over half of them just standing there doing nothing.

Spoiler: Entire Game
I'm okay with the cameos, too (though I don't really like Oldbag or Larry. They're kind of on Jar Jar level for me). I actually thought it was clever the way they integrated Lotta into the story by having her convinced she saw another monster. Yeah, they should've added some more exclusive characters per case, though. I kind of wish every case in every game had more characters so it would be harder to guess who the killer is (like Bansai was the ONLY person who could've been the killer in Case 4. Well, Muto could've, but it was pretty obvious she wasn't)

-Above ^^^^

-Agreed

-Ok. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that

-The way they explained the whole autopsy report thing in Case 4 made it seem like von Karma knew nothing about it. It seemed to me like they were saying Bansai did it because he had an ulterior motive. If von Karma did know about it, it would make sense, but it seemed like Mikagami said Bansai did it to "bind others to his will." I just didn't get it.
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

JesusMonroe wrote:
Spoiler: Case 5
They said the video ended right after earlier in the case that so they probably assumed he was going to walk up the stairs. As for the previous sections of the video he wasn't in, he was at the very edge of the frame so they probably assumed he walked right in. It is contrived, but at least they weren't trying to say Sota deliberately tried to get caught on video

Spoiler:
IIRC, he was facing to the right, on the right edge of the frame. So if they rewound it... he should have still been in the video.

I know Souta didn't plan for it to happen (he couldn't have), but... the fact that it did coincidentally happen and fit into everything is just ~_~ to me


Quote:
Spoiler: Case 1
I suppose, but I thought it should've been brought up by someone (though they did mention the implausiblity of Hayami hitting her target. It was a cool trick on Naito's part to switch the guns, though, and some fast thinking, because he did it at a point where Edgeworth figuring out the truth wasn't as likely

Spoiler:
Yup, Naitou is the only killer in the franchise who does something on-the-fly post-crime that is actually clever and makes sense~


Quote:
Spoiler:
He pretty much started everything in the series, so I felt he should've had a bigger sendoff.

Spoiler:
I think that person is actually Isaku Hyoudou (who beats out Zak for Jerkiest Victim Award)


Quote:
Spoiler: Case 5
I also liked Lang's voice clip, as well as Simon's Japanese "Silence!" I think I prefer all of the Japanese voice clips more than the originals when it comes to antagonists/rivals. Now that I think about it, the Investigations series gives people a lot more voice clips than the main series for some reason (though I'm pretty sure Yumihiko's is just Apollo's reused). I wish the villains in cases 5-3 and 5-5 got their own voice clips

Spoiler:
I heard that Yumihiko's voice clip actually sounded a lot like Franzy's... I can't remember any of the Japanese voice clips atm, though xD

In general, lawyers get voice clips. I guess... Edgey just ends up interacting with lawyers more? Well, in GK1 you get a case in his office and a case at the courthouse, and in GK2 you get a case at the prosecutorial investigation committee. The only people in the franchise with "Objection!" voice clips that aren't lawyers are Alba, Naitou, and Souta. Alba and Souta were final bosses, and Naitou... Naitou is just awesome, I guess :3 Phantom isn't a lawyer, but... yeah, the 5-3 villain not having one was kind aweird, I guess.


Quote:
Spoiler: Entire Game
I'm okay with the cameos, too (though I don't really like Oldbag or Larry. They're kind of on Jar Jar level for me). I actually thought it was clever the way they integrated Lotta into the story by having her convinced she saw another monster. Yeah, they should've added some more exclusive characters per case, though. I kind of wish every case in every game had more characters so it would be harder to guess who the killer is (like Bansai was the ONLY person who could've been the killer in Case 4. Well, Muto could've, but it was pretty obvious she wasn't)

-The way they explained the whole autopsy report thing in Case 4 made it seem like von Karma knew nothing about it. It seemed to me like they were saying Bansai did it because he had an ulterior motive. If von Karma did know about it, it would make sense, but it seemed like Mikagami said Bansai did it to "bind others to his will." I just didn't get it.

Spoiler:
I like Larry. I don't mind Oldbag... I thought she was a good character in 1-3, but she's been flanderized in every case she's appeared in afterwards.

Manfred definitely knew. Wasn't that why he got the penalty? He knew the body was missing, and tried to keep it a secret, so he had to have known the report was faked. I don't remember it 100%, but I imagine Manfred was the one who wanted to forge it, he got Bansai to help him, Bansai strongarmed Otome into doing it, and then Bansai used that to blackmail Otome/Touko afterwards. Like I said, I don't really remember the specifics, but that would make sense to me.

Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1545

Quote:
Spoiler:
IIRC, he was facing to the right, on the right edge of the frame. So if they rewound it... he should have still been in the video.


Spoiler: Case 5
Yeah but he could've walked into the frame from the right and then turned up the stairs


Quote:
Spoiler:
I heard that Yumihiko's voice clip actually sounded a lot like Franzy's... I can't remember any of the Japanese voice clips atm, though xD


In general, lawyers get voice clips. I guess... Edgey just ends up interacting with lawyers more? Well, in GK1 you get a case in his office and a case at the courthouse, and in GK2 you get a case at the prosecutorial investigation committee. The only people in the franchise with "Objection!" voice clips that aren't lawyers are Alba, Naitou, and Souta. Alba and Souta were final bosses, and Naitou... Naitou is just awesome, I guess :3 Phantom isn't a lawyer, but... yeah, the 5-3 villain not having one was kind aweird, I guess.


Spoiler: General
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCo0zA3BgMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfg2KXRtlUg

Listening to it now, I guess Yumihiko's and Apollo's are slightly different (Apollo's sounds slightly more drawn out and a little louder, but that could be due to the videos. I don't know anymore) but it's definitely more similar to Apollo's than Franzy

The Phantom was a final boss, too, which was what was weird to me. I always felt like some non-lawyer characters should've gotten objections or voice clips (like Gant) but it seems to only happen in the GK series (I wouldn't even mind more "Not so fast!" or "Overruled!" interjections). It seems that a lot of the time, people with vocalized objections are the killer. I immediately knew Calisto Yew was the killer when her crappy sounding objection played


Quote:
Spoiler:
Manfred definitely knew. Wasn't that why he got the penalty? He knew the body was missing, and tried to keep it a secret, so he had to have known the report was faked. I don't remember it 100%, but I imagine Manfred was the one who wanted to forge it, he got Bansai to help him, Bansai strongarmed Otome into doing it, and then Bansai used that to blackmail Otome/Touko afterwards. Like I said, I don't really remember the specifics, but that would make sense to me.

Spoiler: Case 4
They start talking about IS-7 at 1:33: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BBKhKPxp2k

They say "Detective Dover (Shirase), who handled the initial investigation, reported that the body went missing. However, in order to deceive von Karma, there was one person that never conveyed to him that the body had disappeared!"

With the second him, I don't know who they're talking about, but I'm assuming von Karma
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:34 am

Posts: 251

JesusMonroe wrote:
Quote:
Spoiler:
Manfred definitely knew. Wasn't that why he got the penalty? He knew the body was missing, and tried to keep it a secret, so he had to have known the report was faked. I don't remember it 100%, but I imagine Manfred was the one who wanted to forge it, he got Bansai to help him, Bansai strongarmed Otome into doing it, and then Bansai used that to blackmail Otome/Touko afterwards. Like I said, I don't really remember the specifics, but that would make sense to me.

Spoiler: Case 4
They start talking about IS-7 at 1:33: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BBKhKPxp2k

They say "Detective Dover (Shirase), who handled the initial investigation, reported that the body went missing. However, in order to deceive von Karma, there was one person that never conveyed to him that the body had disappeared!"

With the second him, I don't know who they're talking about, but I'm assuming von Karma

Spoiler:
Manfred didn't know the body was missing when he took the case, but he had to find out eventually. It's clear from his reaction when Gregory confronts him that he knew at that time, and was trying to hide it.
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6928

Spoiler:
Hmm... Well, von Karma turned Shirase into a scapegoat. I wouldn't be surprised if von Karma did the whole body-concealing thing on his own, and Shirase had nothing to do with it, but that's just what got put in the original file... I'd also say Bansai helped in order to then have blackmail material over Otome.

Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1545

Jozerick wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:
Quote:
Spoiler:
Manfred definitely knew. Wasn't that why he got the penalty? He knew the body was missing, and tried to keep it a secret, so he had to have known the report was faked. I don't remember it 100%, but I imagine Manfred was the one who wanted to forge it, he got Bansai to help him, Bansai strongarmed Otome into doing it, and then Bansai used that to blackmail Otome/Touko afterwards. Like I said, I don't really remember the specifics, but that would make sense to me.

Spoiler: Case 4
They start talking about IS-7 at 1:33: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BBKhKPxp2k

They say "Detective Dover (Shirase), who handled the initial investigation, reported that the body went missing. However, in order to deceive von Karma, there was one person that never conveyed to him that the body had disappeared!"

With the second him, I don't know who they're talking about, but I'm assuming von Karma

Spoiler:
Manfred didn't know the body was missing when he took the case, but he had to find out eventually. It's clear from his reaction when Gregory confronts him that he knew at that time, and was trying to hide it.

Bad Player wrote:
Spoiler:
Hmm... Well, von Karma turned Shirase into a scapegoat. I wouldn't be surprised if von Karma did the whole body-concealing thing on his own, and Shirase had nothing to do with it, but that's just what got put in the original file... I'd also say Bansai helped in order to then have blackmail material over Otome.


I guess I can see that. The way the game explained it just got me confused
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1545

I realized something very clever that the writers did
Spoiler: Case 1 and Case 5
Ou says "The Hammer of Justice shall be brought down on all evil!", and then the game's plot kicks off as all of the conspirators of SS-5 get what they deserved

Also, fake assassination for a fake president
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1545

Spoiler: Minor Case 4 Spoiler (Cameo)
I think it would've been really interesting if Edgeworth showed some resentment towards Lotta instead of just treating her like any other witness. You think he'd question her credibility after last time or be pissed that she blatantly lied on the stand and nearly got him in prison
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Struggling my way through the final bit of case 3!!!

TBH 60% of this case has been extremely boring, and I've had trouble with my attention span in this case because of it. The case itself -- IS-7 and the present case is bland IMO, but while it was mostly for the novelty of it, I thought Gregory's part was handled very well. I think the pacing is a real problem in the middle stretch, where you play for like an hour with little to no gameplay at all (except for a few prompted presents).
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1545

I think GK2-3 and 2-4 are very similar in a way. Both have bland mysteries, both have sections that drag out and become boring, and both are longer than they need to be. However, both cases have great stories that elevate them to some of the best in the series

Case 3 is like 8-9 hours or something, right?
Spoiler:
The entire section with Larry being accused can be removed. All he needs to do is show the sketch
I don't even remember all the details of Case 3 with the salty harp and everything. I only remember the broad story. I still think it's a damn good case, but it's definitely longer than it needs to be. And as far as mysteries go, this isn't Yamazaki's best work. The story is what rounds out the edges (I also think this, 2-4, and 3-4 are the darkest cases of the series)

As for people complaining about von Karma being out of character, nobody seems to mention that this is before he actually killed a guy
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Can I hear an "Objection!"?

Gender: Male

Location: Britannia

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:35 am

Posts: 165

The genius that is Miles Edgeworth is a wonder to behold.

Nice thinking there, Edgey.

Image
Mr. Edgeworth, do you realize if we played by the rules, we'd be in court right now?

Image

(My father spent three years restoring this car...)


Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

I will say though that I want to take back what I meant when I said the IS-7 case was "bland". I finished the case just an hour after posting the last comment and you basically get all the good infos in the final moment. I have to agree. This case was actually very good and the motive was properly handled for... well, what seems like the first time ever after having played both AAI and DD prior to GK2.

I still do think that 60% of the case had the usual problem where the dialogue is too flat-out exposition-y and the humor is kinda dull, but the way the past and present case got intertwined and the mysteries were actually quite well done IMO. I think I might finally be able to understand why some people say GK2-3 has the best 3rd case in the series, even though I don't agree, but it is definitely up there :-)
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1545

I kind of want a spinoff that follows Isaku Hyodo (Isaac Dover) called Isaku Hyodo: Ace Asshole

Out of curiosity, what is your favorite third case?
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wax Philosophical Power Hour

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7717

The dialogue often felt very stilted to me, however I don't know if it was in the original or if it was the translation. On the same note, Edgeworth was quite overly... pretentious. I mean he's certainly got tendencies to be otherwise as well, but not to the extent he was at times in this game. Again, it might be due to translation difficulties, I don't know.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

It's two things that make the dialogue stilted.

1) The fan-patch hasn't sped up the text speed enough, so it doesn't feel very alive. Play PW:AA or Apollo Justice and notice how fast the words are scrolling for the most part.

2) The writing itself: There are several things that make it bad IMO. The jokes feel forced or nonsensical a lot of times. I'm pretty confident this is not the translation's fault (tough it might be occasionally) becasue this issue is also present in AAI and Dual Destinies. But aside from the jokes 60% of the time you're playing the characters are just stating all the facts aka. pure exposition and while it ensures you follow the logic, it lacks personality and feels as if it's just the writer who's using his characters as a mouthpiece to lay all the cards on the table. Really, notice this when you play it, there are sometimes several minutes where it almost feels like you're reading from a notesheet that just states all the scenario's details. The characters can sound borderline robotic.

Of course this is just my viewpoint. I don't mean to say "that's just how it is" I might be wrong.

Oh, and JesusMonroe: I'd probably say 3-3 is my favorite 3rd case. It might not have the most sympathetic motive for the villain :P but it is so full of hysterical dialogue and I like the investigation segments in it... not to mention Godot is super funny as well.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wax Philosophical Power Hour

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7717

I haven't played the patch so I can't say anything about that, but otherwise you make a valid point. I guess that's my problem with it as well.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Gender: Male

Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Posts: 1636

Does that also mean you haven't seen or played the entirety of AAI2-3? I have to say, I didn't expect it to be as good as it was, because I haven't really seen the same quality in neither DD nor AAI before.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: Thoughts on AAI2 (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Wax Philosophical Power Hour

Gender: None specified

Location: Sweden

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Posts: 7717

I did see it on Youtube a while ago. It didn't stand out to me that much on its own, the fact that it had Gregory in it was what made it memorable I think, although it's a bit hard to judge, especially since it's been some time since I saw it. I mean, it was a good case, no doubt about it, but not a favourite of mine. One thing I liked though, was that
Spoiler:
the body found was the same as... 18? years ago, and that IS-7 was the only crime they solved instead of having the usualone present crime tied into a past crime.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Page 3 of 6 [ 240 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby » Gourdzilla's Lair (GK2)

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO