Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 5 of 5[ 192 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Re: GS5 Spoiler DiscussionTopic%20Title

Racing through the sky like a Missile

JesusMonroe wrote:
I just realized something. About 41 minutes in...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9unMpCcQpA

Phoenix mentions the one responsible for the courtroom bombing is the Phantom. We don't know that yet. I'm glad I missed that or didn't think much of it my first time through. The game spoiled itself

It wasn't so much of a "spoiler" as it was a suspicion. And really, by that point, isn't it obvious? We previously met with Tonate who said very clearly that he was NOT the bomber... and no psyche-locks showed up. That suggests there must be another villain working in the shadows. Given how out-of-place it'd be if said villain wasn't responsible for everything, the game would then have to find another excuse to somehow tie everything up.

Now, if cases 4 and 5 were combined into one, then perhaps they could have added a bit more to make up a proper, non-rushed finale case. Who knows how much of the story was scrapped due to time constraints?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Now that you mention it that thought has crossed my mind a couple of times too. The game has friggin six cases (or five really) and I bet a lot of dev time went into making the GS5 engine (or tweaking MT-Framework Mobile) and that's why some things came across as rushed. I mean, it doesn't feel AS rushed as AJ:AA but considering the final bit of Case 5 and the abruptness of case 4 and alike, I thought DD felt pretty rushed in more ways than one.

But as has been argued before, maybe GS5 is really just the GK-Teams experiment to see how well they could pull off a game that sticks to the guns of the regular franchise and then maybe the next game will be a fully-fledged and truly original through-and-through Ace Attorney? Considering the pattern with AAI and AAI2, I'd like to think so.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

IT'S HAPPENING

Spoiler: Case 5 spoilers, open and die
The more I think about Edgey's initial plan to end the Dark Age of the Law, the more insane it seems.

"Herpa derp derp, I'm just gonna accuse an ELEVEN-YEAR OLD GIRL of MATRICIDE to get my subordinate's conviction overturned, that'll restore public faith in the courts for sure! What? The media will probably go nuts and accuse me of being a corrupt bastard who pinned everything on said innocent girl just to cover for said subordinate? That in turn will probably cause public opinion to sink even lower? NONSENSE!"

Yeah, real brilliant plan there, Mr. Logic...

I think it's more the fact that Phoenix's disbarment and the UR-1 incident were obviously shady and covered up; people didn't trust the convictions. An 11 year-old girl killing her mother would be a tough pill to swallow, but it's the truth. Same situation with Gavin

IT'S HAPPENING

JesusMonroe wrote:
I think it's more the fact that Phoenix's disbarment and the UR-1 incident were obviously shady and covered up; people didn't trust the convictions. An 11 year-old girl killing her mother would be a tough pill to swallow, but it's the truth. Same situation with Gavin

Yeah and the Chief Prosecutor accusing an 11 year old girl of the crime one of his subordinates just happens to be on death row for isn't shady at all. :ron:

Doom Paul wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

Yeah and the Chief Prosecutor accusing an 11 year old girl of the crime one of his subordinates just happens to be on death row for isn't shady at all. :ron:

No different from Phoenix defending his friends and accusing someone else of murder

The cape is self-fluttering

Doom Paul wrote:
Spoiler: Case 5 spoilers, open and die
The more I think about Edgey's initial plan to end the Dark Age of the Law, the more insane it seems.

"Herpa derp derp, I'm just gonna accuse an ELEVEN-YEAR OLD GIRL of MATRICIDE to get my subordinate's conviction overturned, that'll restore public faith in the courts for sure! What? The media will probably go nuts and accuse me of being a corrupt bastard who pinned everything on said innocent girl just to cover for said subordinate? That in turn will probably cause public opinion to sink even lower? NONSENSE!"

Yeah, real brilliant plan there, Mr. Logic...

Spoiler:
While I won't deny "accusing an eleven-year-old of matricide" is what happened, I really don't think that's what Edgeworth had in mind to "restore public faith." It doesn't make sense for Edgeworth to do that, as a character.

It's more like he wanted to bring the real culprit to justice, but in order to do that, he had to be willing to go that far.

You have to remember that the courtroom is a different stage for Edgeworth. That's just the way it's always been. As he states in 2-4, it's a garden of judgment. But one of the reasons he goes that far is because he trusts that the defense (Phoenix) will call him on it and try to figure out the real culprit, just like he always has. The two work together to find the truth, instead of just settling for the initial charge. (And it isn't as though Edgeworth pulled the charge out of his own ass or anything; both Aura and Simon had their own suspicions, though the latter wasn't willing to admit to them at all. And the former was the cause of the non!trial, and even had some hostages just in case something didn't go her way.)

"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

I just realized this is the first game in the series where we never got to meet any of the victims before they died. It's not a huge thing; just something I noticed

Y'know

Well, for that, you'll have to thank Ted Tonate, then. Candice was about to be involved in Case 4 when she got killed =P

"Eggs?"

Spoiler: Case 5 Bad Ending
Did anyone else notice that the bad ending left so many things unanswered? I mean, just think about it. Athena is still on trial for the Clay Terran case... so she can't just simply "leave the office" as Phoenix tells us she does. And what about Apollo? He took a leave of absence... but that doesn't mean he left for good. Did he come back to the office, or what? Is he still a defense attorney? All it says is that he stops smiling. And then there's the issue of Phoenix. He doesn't have Trucy, he gave up his badge, Athena leaves the office, Apollo is who knows where, Pearl is who knows where, Maya is still training... so what does Nick do? Does he go back to his days of piano playing and poker? Or does something darker happen... I don't even want to say it... but in that ending, he sounded pretty depressed - even suicidal. Ugh... this is why you should just win the game.

I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!

I think it would've been pretty interesting if Case 4 had a Day 1 investigation. Apollo and Trucy go to the Space Center, we meet Clay and Starbuck, talk to them for a bit, and then Apollo and Trucy wait for the launch. Then, bombs go off and Fulbright sends them down the emergency ladder. After that, we hear news that an astronaut was killed by the other (and the player naturally assumes Clay is accused of killing Starbuck). We can see Apollo's immediate reaction to Clay's death. We'd even get to meet Candice Arme and pre-murderer Ted Tonate. Instead of investigating the murder scene, we could investigate the blown up rocket and save the scene of the murder for Day 2. Also, considering the first trial doesn't use the Mood Matrix, Trucy can be the aide for that section

It just seems like missed potential. The only thing that I think would be hard to work around is Apollo "perceiving" Athena. That could be solved by ending day 1 of the investigation with Apollo telling Trucy, "Before I head back to WAA, I'm just gonna do a once-over of the crime scene with Athena. See you tomorrow." *To Be Continued*

The video game boy; the one who wins

Quote:
meet Clay

I'm already sold.

But okay, the whole idea sounds great. I've never even thought about how it would be if there was an investigation, but now that you're mentioning it, it definitely feels like a waste that there wasn't.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Kevin Wright: Ace Attorney

Spoiler: Ace Attorney 5
I enjoyed the game. Case 3 was probably my favorite. I felt like they could have brought more characters back. They also need to use the ones they do bring back a lot better. Admittedly I wish they had show "The Phantom's" real face.

Kevin Ace Attorney Image Image

Last edited by Kevin Ace Attorney on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin, it's kind of hard to read green text on the blue spoiler background (and the tan one for the record). Just so you know

Kevin Wright: Ace Attorney

I fixed it for the spoiler tag.
Kevin Ace Attorney Image Image

Y'know

Cut it with the green text, or at least go for a brighter green. Really.

Even thought it shouldn't be discussed here, I agree. I have to focus really hard every time I try to read your posts Kevin Ace Attorney. It blends in way too much with the BG :-/

I know this is impossible since it's Ace Attorney and everybody who's good has never done anything bad, but I kind of wish Simon was guilty of murder. I don't think it would've made him more unlikable as a character at all. Maybe the opposite

Also, what was the point of Simon's rehabilitation if they were going to execute him? I know Edgeworth had a hand it but still..

Racing through the sky like a Missile

JesusMonroe wrote:
I know this is impossible since it's Ace Attorney and everybody who's good has never done anything bad, but I kind of wish Simon was guilty of murder. I don't think it would've made him more unlikable as a character at all. Maybe the opposite

Also, what was the point of Simon's rehabilitation if they were going to execute him? I know Edgeworth had a hand it but still..

I have a theory. Supposing those bags under his eyes are from his tears across those 7 years, it's possible he's tried suicide. I mean that as the supposedly real reason he was put into rehab. After all, he could have done so at some point and locked that secret away forever, as he had intended, but he decided to go along with Edgeworth's plans in hope of something that would work out better for Athena. Apparently they all had to wait until the final day before his execution to get anything done, but then again, having hostages as an excuse works every time and with good haste.

As for why they chose Fulbright, well, as was mentioned in-game, he's too oblivious to be manipulated by Blackquill. But it's also because he makes a nice complement to his partner. Someone's gotta liven up the mood whenever Blacky shows up.
Spoiler: just in case
And then when Phantom shows up, Blacky livens up the mood himself.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

JesusMonroe wrote:

Without knowing anything this is also what I was sooo hoping for would be in AA5. I was really disappointed when it became obvious the game was just sticking to the cliché of "Dude is not-guilty even though he admitted to his guilt" thing. I wanted Blackquill to be a villain or at least a sympathetic killer.

Forensic Investigator

You know, I have something of an idea as to why the jury system might have failed...

Spoiler:
Yes, for sure, if Phoenix's 'rigging of the system' by having Thalassa as a jury member were discovered, then the public outcry would be huge.

But I'm also thinking that maybe Kristoph Gavin had a point about 'keeping the mouth-breathers out of the courtroom'. Common citizens may have common sense, yes, but they don't always exercise it. We've seen it countless times in real life (with the American legal system especially) where someone who is clearly guilty as sin is acquitted by a jury of their peers simply because they (or their defense attorney) is sufficiently charismatic and able to charm their way past the evidence with emotional appeals.

If there were a case where, say, the jurists let off someone who the general public perceived as being guilty-and more suspicious deaths surrounding that person were to result, but without any definitive proof that it was THEY who did it... Well, the outcry against the jurist system would be enormous, wouldn't it? Thus why it wouldn't be around anymore in GS5 or subsequent games.

Y'know

linkenski wrote:
Without knowing anything this is also what I was sooo hoping for would be in AA5. I was really disappointed when it became obvious the game was just sticking to the cliché of "Dude is not-guilty even though he admitted to his guilt" thing. I wanted Blackquill to be a villain or at least a sympathetic killer.

I myself knew for sure, that Athena would have a whole "you killed my mom" thing with Simon, but that ultimately got subverted.

I honestly would like the subversion more if they dropped the whole "the one Athena must save" talk in 5-2 and 5-3.

I just realized....

Edgeworth is Chief Prosecutor

Franziska is Edgeworth's subordinate :yogi:

Y'know

Not really, since she isn't exactly a Los Angeles prosecutor per se. She's an international one, working with Interpol, too.

OBJECTION!

I liked a lot of 5-5, but I found the ending (and also of 5-4) a bit rushed.
So we never found out who the Phantom was, why? I honestly thought Blackquill did it but in a 'sympathetic killer' kind of way, maybe he killed Metis to save Athena from all her experiments.
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

grim_tales wrote:
So we never found out who the Phantom was, why? I honestly thought Blackquill did it but in a 'sympathetic killer' kind of way, maybe he killed Metis to save Athena from all her experiments.

I just beat the game again last week, and honestly this occured to me too. It would've been a hundred times more interesting than the whole "we conquered FEAR with TRUST and FRIENDSHIP" rainbow and bunnies conclusion the game has.

Great Revival

linkenski wrote:
grim_tales wrote:

I just beat the game again last week, and honestly this occured to me too. It would've been a hundred times more interesting than the whole "we conquered FEAR with TRUST and FRIENDSHIP" rainbow and bunnies conclusion the game has.

Even better than that, I always wished that Juniper was the phantom, it would be a bigger and more unexpected plot twist that a main character's friend would be the phantom. And then she tried to get close to Apollo to stop his investigating into Terran's death. And her being so pure? She was hiding her real emotions. But nope, they had to choose someone who was only really connected to the main characters through work. And you may think that it makes no sense, since she would be like 9 at the time, but nope, I personally think she's a robot made my Metis to be a friend to Athena, but was messed with by another spy from whatever country the phantom was from to be evil. I know it sounds stupid, but you know what I'm getting at.

Wotter boy

Pretty sure half of my existence with this game is denying
Spoiler: 5-5
Bobby Fulbright is dead.

Because I'm Blackbright trash tbh

Happy Maria

....People ship that?!

Next you'll tell me there's Phantomquill...please don't answer that.

Wotter boy

Southern Corn wrote:
....People ship that?!

Next you'll tell me there's Phantomquill...please don't answer that.

There is :^)

Happy Maria

......................lol.

It would have been better if they simply kept Foolbright as the phantom and that was it. They took it over the top and too far, which was the same mistake made throughout this entire game!
Page 5 of 5 [ 192 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)