Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 4[ 126 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Case 3 discussion thread (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

This thread is for discussion of all things case three-related. Spoiler tags don't need to be used in this thread when discussing the basics of case three. They should be used when discussing earlier or later cases.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Case 3 discussion thread (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

迷探偵

Finished first trial day. I had not read too much about it beforehand, but the case definitely turns out different from what I had expected. In a good way! No idea how the second day is going to be...

Edit: a bit longwinded at times, but a nice case overall.

Spoiler:
Loved the breakdown animation of the murderer. Kokone still feels a bit forced though. And what's up with Odoroki's buddy we never heard about before? >_>

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I only have one thing to add!

Image :kyouya:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Spoiler:
He was a she... Am i the only one surprised by this. I mean, she/he had girly eyes, but still...

I wish I WERE the best.

DimensionalGuy wrote:
Spoiler:
He was a she... Am i the only one surprised by this. I mean, she/he had girly eyes, but still...

Are you talking about

Spoiler:
Chishio Atsui. He's the only one who looks remotely girly.

AnsweringNOW wrote:
DimensionalGuy wrote:
Spoiler:

Are you talking about

Spoiler:
Chishio Atsui. He's the only one who looks remotely girly.

Yeah, That's the one i was talking about.

I wish I WERE the best.

... I'm okay with this. Although okay is just a giant understatement.

Spoiler:
I haven't watched all of Case 3 yet but now I changed my guess from Atsui to the old man as the killer. Am I right about this?

AnsweringNOW wrote:

Spoiler:
I haven't watched all of Case 3 yet but now I changed my guess from Atsui to the old man as the killer. Am I right about this?

Spoiler:
I haven't watched it all yet, but i also think Means is the killer.

Master of sharp things!

AnsweringNOW wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yes, Principal Means is the killer of Case 3. And his breakdown animation is going to be hell for the translators.

I wish I WERE the best.

I got to see it then. Wonder how it will turn out.

Spoiler:
I wasn't expecting Scuttlebutt to be a purple-haired girl but what happened to her after the first trial day?

Also,

Spoiler:
Is Atsui guilty of anything, serious or just petty, in this case?

And regarding the killer...

Spoiler:
Yeah, I wonder how the localization team is going to change Means's breakdown, which by the way was pretty great. And what was the stuff he was writing down on the board during his breakdown?

迷探偵

AnsweringNOW wrote:
I got to see it then. Wonder how it will turn out.
Spoiler:
I wasn't expecting Scuttlebutt to be a purple-haired girl but what happened to her after the first trial day?

Spoiler:
Err, broke her PC, Kokone promised to lend her's to her if she would try to become friends with the trio

Quote:
Spoiler:
Is Atsui guilty of anything, serious or just petty, in this case?

Spoiler:
Perjury for confessing to the murder? But nothing more, IIRC. She just put on some pretty clothes...

Quote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I wonder how the localization team is going to change Means's breakdown, which by the way was pretty great. And what was the stuff he was writing down on the board during his breakdown?

Spoiler:
During his actual breakdown? All kinds of lame alternate sentences like a reduced salary....

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

I wish I WERE the best.

Spoiler:
Well, that explains the computer in her breakdown...

So Atsui happened to find the victim's body but decides not to tell anyone about her discovering the body, right? I mean, I can't really see her being Means's accomplice.

And I wonder what Means's motive for killing Courte was.

Oh, and were there any other new characters in the case that haven't been shown in the promotional material?

迷探偵

AnsweringNOW wrote:
Spoiler:
So Atsui happened to find the victim's body but decides not to tell anyone about her discovering the body, right? I mean, I can't really see her being Means's accomplice.

And I wonder what Means's motive for killing Courte was.

Spoiler:
She didn't find the body. Phoenix and Athena were really the first to find it/her. The body was hidden until the mock trial, during which Ichiro (Means?) got the body out of the statue (faking his alibi). His motive was that Michiba (Courte?) had found out that Ichiro had been taking bribes to falsify test results (like those of Rei).

I wish I WERE the best.

Spoiler:
Just to clarify things, what was Atsui's (unintentional?) role in the murder?

And did they actually provide a motive for Juniper supposedly killing her teacher? I don't exactly remember the defendants be arrested because they had a plausible motive.

迷探偵

AnsweringNOW wrote:
Spoiler:
Just to clarify things, what was Atsui's (unintentional?) role in the murder?

And did they actually provide a motive for Juniper supposedly killing her teacher? I don't exactly remember the defendants be arrested because they had a plausible motive.

Spoiler:
The case was going a bit in circles during the first trial part because everybody was lying... but I think that the only thing she did was walking around with the cloak and being seen by Atsume-chan IIRC. And I can't actually remember if this was the only motive presented, but it was thought at one point in the trial that Shinobu's script for the mock trial had been rejected in favor of Atsume-chan's script, which led to the murder, I think

Seasoned Animator

*Whistles nonchalantly*

Spoiler:

Like the creator of Final Fantasy, I'm better at telling a story.
If you need help animating Ace Attorney sprite sheets, I'm your man.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Project Justice - Co-developed with Hesseldahl
Case 1 - Nursing the Turnabout: Trial Former, Trial Latter

I play videogames.

Spoiler:
This.. might be one of my favourite cases in the series. The whole "sub"plot with Shinobu, Chishio and Rei's friendship was so great.My favourite GS5 original character so far is Rei. I don't normally like cocky characters but I actually liked him a lot, even to start. His great personal theme helped too, haha. I suspected he wasn't really a genius but I didn't think his character would change that much when he showed his true self. Nothing beats Chishio though... That was... wow. I also got a chuckle out of ”点” (レイてん)Should have seen that pun coming.

I have to say, if you ignore the spoiler Case 2 opening, it has still been way too easy to know who the killer is. As soon as I saw Biyouin and Ichiro in screens, it seemed like a real obvious guess.

There's no way they would make an under age person (19 and younger) be a killer, so I wish there were more adult characters up to this point to spread the suspicion. Admittedly when it was revealed Rei was 25, I thought for a second "Maybe..." but Ichiro's actions up to that point, or lack thereof, were too suspicious. I also remember noticing he didn't have his globe thing when you first meet him.

Also, did Tell the Truth 2013 ever play during this case...? I don't remember.
And ever since the breakdown of Barashima in case 1, I was hoping each trial would have them (in the dark) confess their crime and motive(s) while Tell the Truth played... I thought it was such a great idea to add to killer breakdowns.

I'll leave you with this:

1) .... Yeah....
2) Why is there a child at... a murder trial?

Image Image Image

I wish I WERE the best.

Spoiler:
I'm actually liking Chishio's design and personality a lot more than Rei's although both are very interesting characters. In fact, I'm thinking Chishio may be my favorite character of the case.

I definitely didn't expect Means to bring a chalkboard to court and suddenly change his hairstyle. That was an unexpected breakdown!

元・超会社員級の管理人

Finished day one of the trial.

Spoiler:
What a strange case so far. I did like the trial ending by having everyone confessing to the crime, but I wonder where things are going from here. My gut feeling still says Ichiro did it, but it would be an interesting twist if it really did turn out that Chishio or Rei is guilty. (Oh, and Chishio is a girl! How 'bout that. Loved the Mood Matrix remix they used.)

Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

迷探偵

SeanHK wrote:
Spoiler:
This.. might be one of my favourite cases in the series. The whole "sub"plot with Shinobu, Chishio and Rei's friendship was so great.My favourite GS5 original character so far is Rei. I don't normally like cocky characters but I actually liked him a lot, even to start. His great personal theme helped too, haha. I suspected he wasn't really a genius but I didn't think his character would change that much when he showed his true self. Nothing beats Chishio though... That was... wow. I also got a chuckle out of ”点” (レイてん)Should have seen that pun coming.

Spoiler:
I definitely liked this case the best of GS5. The friendship between the three nicely mirrors the triumvirate-esque relationship of defense/prosecution/judge, and Rei and Chishio worked great as subvertions of archetype characters. The case-structure was also very nice, making you run around in circles in the first day between the three. Of course it was quite obvious it was Ichiro, but the way the story leads to you to him is great. The problem of the location of the body, and when it appeared, was another greatly plotted problem.

But what I liked best was how it showed what the Dark Times of Law meant in practice, but without being a case superimportant to the overall storyline.

1000% Knight

Why is the attorney uniform Yumihiko's outfit?! Dx

(I... I don't think Yumihiko would be that dumb :yogi: )
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

迷探偵

I can't remember anyone saying the classes had different uniforms? I mean, I've seen the normal blue uniform for males, and the black uniform for girls. Chishio is in a red trainer, but that isn't a uniform and probably a mix of 1) showing his hotbloodiness, 2) showing his after-school club activity (you don't do pottery with your uniform on).

And as for seeing different uniforms in the opening: it's a school festival. These are usually open for the general public, so it wouldn't be strange to see people from other schools taking a peek at the Themis Academy.

Oh, and I just realized this (in relation to GK2):

Spoiler:
Yumihiko's grades were also bought with bribes, right?

1000% Knight

Well, the only uniforms I remember in the opening were the red, black, and blue ones. And with Chishio wearing a red one, Rei wearing a blue one, and Shinobu wearing a black one, I figured that they corresponded to the three classes... Plus the stage had the blue statue at the defense bench and the red statue at the prosecutor's bench. Yeah, I knew that the red and blue outfits corresponded to Chishio and Rei's personalities, but I figured that it was just the uniforms, too... If it's just Chishio being silly and the blue outfit is the regular uniform, then okay, that's fine.

...Ah, I think my Yugioh GX is showing :bellboy:

Procrastinating...

By watching the ending cinematic,

Spoiler:
I'm calling it now. Juniper has a thing for Apollo. :bellboy: :sillytrucy:

So... How's life?

元・超会社員級の管理人

Finished the case. I really enjoyed it - there was a lot going on, but it came together well at the end.

Spoiler:
Ichiro was a bit of an obvious criminal just because of how out-of-the-way they made him, but his 'transformation' was pretty great. And the Rei/Chishio/Juniper subplot was handled really well. Only complaint is that Klavier really didn't have much to do in the case.

Onto the cases we hadn't seen before release!

Wooster wrote:

1000% Knight

Bolt Storm wrote:
Finished the case. I really enjoyed it - there was a lot going on, but it came together well at the end.

Onto the cases we hadn't seen before release!

Ditto!

Spoiler:
How did Rei hurt his hand? I guess I... read over that part.

Also, can someone explain Ichiro's breakdown to me? :oops:

I play videogames.

Ash wrote:
Spoiler:
I definitely liked this case the best of GS5. The friendship between the three nicely mirrors the triumvirate-esque relationship of defense/prosecution/judge, and Rei and Chishio worked great as subvertions of archetype characters. The case-structure was also very nice, making you run around in circles in the first day between the three. Of course it was quite obvious it was Ichiro, but the way the story leads to you to him is great. The problem of the location of the body, and when it appeared, was another greatly plotted problem.

But what I liked best was how it showed what the Dark Times of Law meant in practice, but without being a case superimportant to the overall storyline.

Spoiler:
As soon as Ban lowered the flag for us, and I saw the bottom of it tied together, I thought "Okay, obviously the body was placed inside and pushed along the wire. Let's hurry and get this thing over with." So I thought it was so clever how they pushed the fact that the body was moved... only to have it revealed the body hadn't moved from the stage at all.

I was a bit disappointed there was no evidence-presenting in the courtroom lobby after the victory.

Image Image Image

Mr. Bland

I really enjoyed Case 3, it was my favorite in terms of characters and I loved seeing Athena have toe spotlight. Though I missed day 1 court so I have a question

Spoiler:
Why was Chishio pretending to be male? She seemed pretty okay with being female at the end of the case and her binder was off during the credits.

1000% Knight

Kairags wrote:
I really enjoyed Case 3, it was my favorite in terms of characters and I loved seeing Athena have toe spotlight. Though I missed day 1 court so I have a question

Spoiler:
Why was Chishio pretending to be male? She seemed pretty okay with being female at the end of the case and her binder was off during the credits.

Spoiler:
Her parents raised her as a boy, and also forced her onto the path of a prosecutor. I don't think they gave any explanation why her parents did that, though.

Procrastinating...

Bad Player wrote:
Kairags wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Her parents raised her as a boy, and also forced her onto the path of a prosecutor. I don't think they gave any explanation why her parents did that, though.

That's.........cruel. :lana:
So... How's life?

I wish I WERE the best.

Ehh, I would like to see how that is explained when it's released in English.

Spoiler:
I meant the breakdown of Means, of course. That, and the story behind all the other characters.

Speaking of characters, why did Scuttlebutt change cardboard boxes after the first trial day?

1000% Knight

Spoiler:
During court, Yugami makes a joke about burning the trash when Atsume is on the stand. In the second investigation you meet Atsume near the school's incinerator. Kokone compliments Atsume on her new box, and Polly wonders if Yugami actually burned the first one.

Don't know if that's what actually happened, but... xP

Racing through the sky like a Missile

The end of this case had me in stitches. I couldn't stop laughing my way through Athena's final explanation,
Spoiler:
especially if you answer with a double-hand objection pose.
"But Athena, what about the statue's spiky head?"
"Just pull some hair from Mr. Wright!"
"Objection! Ow! Apollo, stop!"
And then she blames the penalty on Apollo for failing to retrieve the hair.
Not to mention,
Spoiler:
Mr. Means' Spartan look and how he throws things at misbehaving students.

Ah, classic AA humor. How do I love thee? Why not count the ways...
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

~chansey~

I really enjoyed this case too.

Spoiler:
Only disappointing though was that it was obvious from the start that it was Ichiro who did it. Only time I had some blame was when they really tried and make it look like it was Rei who did it, but as soon as he mentioned the empty balcony the deal was sealed.

Maybe one of the best "independent" cases in the series ever. And Kokones objection theme! Magical.

I wish I WERE the best.

Spoiler:
Considering the ages of Chishio, Juniper and Scuttlebutt, I find it odd that Rei is 25 years old. Can anyone explain why he's still in the academy? And considering his age, surely he must have a part-time job or something. Does he have one?

And how old is Ichiro anyway? I was thinking he might be in his mid 50s but knowing this is Ace Attorney we're talking about, he might be 45 or something.

迷探偵

AnsweringNOW wrote:
Spoiler:
Considering the ages of Chishio, Juniper and Scuttlebutt, I find it odd that Rei is 25 years old. Can anyone explain why he's still in the academy? And considering his age, surely he must have a part-time job or something. Does he have one?

Spoiler:
Rei is just that bad a student. Really. And yes, he has a part-time job. It's actually a crucial plotpoint ;)

Racing through the sky like a Missile

AnsweringNOW wrote:
Spoiler:

And how old is Ichiro anyway? I was thinking he might be in his mid 50s but knowing this is Ace Attorney we're talking about, he might be 45 or something.

Ash gave a good answer, but if you want to be a bit more specific...
Spoiler:
He took a part-time job working as a crane operator, as seen in one of the photos of the open stage during preparations.

Also, Ichiro's profile says 46, IIRC.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

1000% Knight

Ash wrote:
AnsweringNOW wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Rei is just that bad a student. Really. And yes, he has a part-time job. It's actually a crucial plotpoint ;)

Spoiler:
Rei also claims to be 18 for most of the case.

I wish I WERE the best.

Spoiler:
What, so he can hide the fact he failed that much as a student?

I was wondering, before the big reveal, did Juniper and Rei knew that Chishio was really a girl?

And I'm guessing that the love triangle rumor was created by Scuttlebutt, right? If so, why?

1000% Knight

Spoiler:
Yeah; he was keeping his true age and job a secret.

I... don't think so. Don't know/remember for sure, though.

Yeah, she wrote the article. It was actually a misunderstanding; Rei said he was going to make "a big confession" to Shinobu if he won the mock trial, which everyone assumed to be a confession of love, but he was actually planning on telling her his real age ^^"

Also... her name is actually Scuttlebutt in the English version? ...Wow xDDDD
Page 1 of 4 [ 126 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)