Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 4 of 4[ 126 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Re: Case 3 discussion thread (SPOILERS)Topic%20Title

Enoshima Junko-chan!

More of developing his backstory than his character.

Turnabout Academy was the worst case in DD and one of the weakest in the franchise overall.

A completely pointless 1st day with pointless twists that added nothing to the mystery.
Hugh and Robin are both incredibly annoying characters and so is Myriam.
Horribly cheesy generic high school anime plot with "power of friendship" being the lesson at the end.
Huge leaps of logic that made no sense. (You're a goner tape and wrapping up Athena in a blanket to "look kinda" like a statue)
Klavier just did a pointless cameo appearance and wasn't helpful at all.
Means was obvious and his motive was extremely poor.
Juniper was a complete contradiction to what we were shown in 5-1 and they just went with the Adrian Andrews excuse to justify the drastic personality swing.
Robin crossdressing was just poorman's Jean Greyerl. Also apparently her dream was to be an artist, not a prosecutor like her parents wanted. But NOPE, turns out she DOES want to be a prosecutor after all.

It was simply an awful case. And the cringe-inducing cutscenes didn't help it at all.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Klavier should've been the DLC prosecutor, but that's not the most original idea. It would've been nice symmetry that Nick's first case a new lawyer is against the man who unseated him, though

Enoshima Junko-chan!

JesusMonroe wrote:
Klavier should've been the DLC prosecutor, but that's not the most original idea. It would've been nice symmetry that Nick's first case a new lawyer is against the man who unseated him, though

I once suggested that, but the DLC case really suits Blackquill for his love of birds. But Klavier should have been an opponent in one of the cases, considering he appeared to have a role in the game. However, I don't see him replacing Blackquill in any case.
Klavier has a voiced objection and yet Aristotle Means objects way more than him.

Now on to case 3 itself, I replayed it recently and while my opinion has changed a bit, it's still my least favourite case. And this has to do mainly with the premise and the first trial. Sure Athena's inexperienced, butter debut isn't as funny as it is cringy. Perhaps this was the point. Athena goes into the trial with high expectations but gets slapped in the face with reality. Not fun for the player, but I like it when the protagonist gets knocked down a few pegs.

But the ends don't justify the means? Yeah right, Athena, when you interpret the recording to be saying, "Hugh O'Connor!" in order to keep the trial alive.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Swoosh, this case is twisty and turny. I had fun playing it, and the second half or so of it became both engaging and entertaining, whereas the first part was good but not super memorable apart from Robin and then the confession x 3.
The cover-up scheme and pinning the blame seemed both really elaborate and resting on luck/chance, but it didn't really bother me, I just zipped along for the ride and took it for what it was. What did bother me is that both this and the case 2 killer were pretty one-dimensional and dhallow, and I think the fact that their motives are explained by Simon as an afterthought when they themselves are not present added a lot to that.
Mean's doctrine was just banged over everyone's head over and over, I mean even Athena comments that she's sick of hearing it. It's so un-subtle it's not even funny. He himself even uses it against Juniper, saying she followed his own philosophy, in order to make her look suspicious. Had they made his philosophy a bit more complex, like something along the lines of having to use different "means" for the sake of truth/justice or fighting back against corrupt lawyers with their own methods, they could at least have pretended to make it a bit morally ambigous and food for thought rather than "Professor says end justifies means. This is wrong. Bad professor."
The friendship story was part cheesy and part wonderful, seeing how everyone struggled with their own shit scared that it'd destroy the friendship which only came out even stronger in the end once everything was cleared up. Hugh's story really touched me (let's just forget that cutscene). Also I'm glad there weren't any romantic feelings in the trio, I like stories where strong, platonic friendsjip is focused on. There was also a nice little side-arc with Athena's and Juniper's friendship. Athena seemed way more involved in it at first than Junie, and it makes sense since Juniper had her good friends at school while Athena, at least to me, seems to be (or have been until now) a pretty lonely person, but they eventually found their way back to each other. ... and speaking of friends, this case would have been a great opportunity to show some of Apollo's seemingly awesome friendship rather than just talking about it. *grumble*
Klavier had a slightly bigger role than I remembered, I thought he was gonna be in the mock mock trial and then leave until the school concert (ahrrrtung, baby!) I missed his one and onöy "Objection" since I was playing that part in the same room as loud washing machines :( It was fun investigating with him, but some of his comments were very boasty in an off way. And he was ugly. But the statue of him was really good-looking.
I laughed quite a lot during the second day. Many good comments, the classroomcourt bit is always great, and I lost it when Hugh is proudly talking about his genius plan with the body double - and the Mood Matrix images appear and it's some bald dude wearing a cartoonish Hugh-mask made out of paper (talk about a "paper-thin disguise"!).
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

Something I don't get about this case is ...
Spoiler: I love you
Why don't Athena and Apollo examine the outside of the art room? Sure,it's not actually where the murder really happened,but they didn't know that,so it should've warranted examination. But NOOOOOO,you can only examine the areas we tell you to! So dumb. Glad they removed that in SoJ.

Page 4 of 4 [ 126 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)