Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 6[ 224 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

SO WHO'S READY TO GUESS EVERYONE'S ENGLISH NAMES???Topic%20Title

Boogy-oogy-oogy-oogy

I know I am!

Most of these names are spoiler-free, some less so. I've tagged the more incriminating parts, though. Obviously you shouldn't be in this thread if you don't want to know anything about the characters in GS5.

5-1:

Hozumi Kaku -> Heidi Corner. Her Japanese name literally translates to "hide in a corner" iirc so this is about as straightforward as you can get.
Spoiler:
"Corner" also refers to the reason behind her death-- her cornering Teddy when he tried to nab the bomb.

5-2:

Kyuubi Ginji -> Arthur Fox. Like the Arctic fox. Because he's the mayor of the kitsune town.
Deemon Tenma -> Hoshino Tenma. I mean I guess we could just leave it as Deemon and call it a day, but it's too close to Gant's name for comfort. Comes from hoshi no tama, the little onion-y balls that trail around folks possessed by kitsunes. Which is relevant, given that his suit seems to have quite a few of those on it.
Shuichi Biyouin -> Claude Delucre. Like, "clawed the lucre," because he's profit-minded. Also sounds like "Claude, the looker," because oh my is he handsome! (Ha ha ha.)

5-3:

Shinji Ichiro -> Leonidas Means. Leonidas was the king of Sparta, which fits into the whole Greek god thing he's got going on. Plus, he has a little lion on his vest! Ain't it cute??
Chishio Atsui -> Tracey Wheeler. Tracey like tracing, and wheeler like a pottery wheel. The perfect name for a hot-blooded artist!
Spoiler:
Tracey is a decidedly androgynous name as well, which helps with the reveal. (PS-- how come the moment you learn Chishio's a girl, everyone immediately drops the possibility of a romance between the two? How dare Capcom not allow two female characters to have onscreen romantic interactions?? Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies??? More like Straight Attorney: Crual Heteronormativies, am I right?????

Rei Shizuya -> Harold Cerulean. Cerulean like the color, herp a derp. Harold has the word "arrow" in it, because he's an archer I think.

5-4:

Daichi Aoi -> Thomas Major. "Ground control to Major Tom-- your circuit's dead! Is something wrong?"
Hoshinaro Taiyou -> Wyatt Dwarf. White dwarf. Because he's a star or something.
Uchuu Oogawara -> Melchior Andromeda. Melchior comes from "milky" as in the Milky Way. So his name refers to the Milky Way and Andromeda, the two nearest galaxies. Melchior is also the name of one of the Biblical magi, which means he's oooooooold. Impossibly old. Old as balls.
Kaguya Yuugami -> Selene Blackquill. SELENE is the name of the Japanese satellite which her name derives from, so yep.

5-5:

Mari Kizuki -> Mary Cykes. Straight up romanization of her first name.
Voodoo Sprites
I do some graphics for Conflict of Interest.
Re: SO WHO'S READY TO GUESS EVERYONE'S ENGLISH NAMES???Topic%20Title

I wish I WERE the best.

Most of my names kind of rely on the meaning of the word rather than puns.

Hozumi Kaku - Chloe Cornelia. Cornelia kind of contains the word for corner. And it's alliterative too.

Ginji Kyuubi - Foxley Tales. Obviously, the name contains the word fox and tails.
Deemon Tenma - Daimon Tenma.
Spoiler:
Daimon refers to him being seemingly possessed by a demon.

Shuuichi Biyouin - Quintrell Oliver. Oliver comes from the olive tree, which is a symbol of beauty. Quintrell is supposed to sound like an upper-class name and it also means elegant. Ignore the fact that Oliver is also the first name to another character as this time, it's used as a last name.

Chishio Atsui - Taylor Amber. Amber comes from ember and Taylor means "tailor", which is the closest I can reference to what Chishio does in the case.
Spoiler:
Plus, Taylor is a unisex name. No problem pulling off the gender reveal for her.

Rei Shizuya - Nicolas Acelin. Contains the word ace and the pronunciation of Nicolas kind of contains the pronunciation of cold.
Shinji Ichiro - Aris Means. Aris is a nickname for several Greek names such as Aristotle.

Daichi Aoi - Jay Cobalt. Cobalt means blue and Jay sounds like a regular name and means "blue-crested bird".
Taiyou Hoshinari - Sterling Merritt. Both the meanings of the names are related to the word star.
Kaguya Yuugami - Selena Blackquill. As stated before in the first post, Kaguya is the Japanese nickname for the satellite SELENE although Selena sounds a bit more natural then Selene.
Uchuu Oogawara - Harold Rivera. Rivera refers to his original name meaning and Harold sounds right for an old man like him.
Ponco and Ponta - Stays the same. They're acronyms anyway.

Mari Kizuki - Minerva Cykes. Minerva means mind or intellect and is considered the equivalent to the Greek goddess Athena (gee, look at that. I didn't expect that to happen.)

Last edited by AnsweringNOW on Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Voodoo Lady wrote:
I know I am!

Most of these names are spoiler-free, some less so. I've tagged the more incriminating parts, though. Obviously you shouldn't be in this thread if you don't want to know anything about the characters in GS5.

5-1:

Hozumi Kaku -> Heidi Corner. Her Japanese name literally translates to "hide in a corner" iirc so this is about as straightforward as you can get.
Spoiler:
"Corner" also refers to the reason behind her death-- her cornering Teddy when he tried to nab the bomb.

5-2:

Kyuubi Ginji -> Arthur Fox. Like the Arctic fox. Because he's the mayor of the kitsune town.
Deemon Tenma -> Hoshino Tenma. I mean I guess we could just leave it as Deemon and call it a day, but it's too close to Gant's name for comfort. Comes from hoshi no tama, the little onion-y balls that trail around folks possessed by kitsunes. Which is relevant, given that his suit seems to have quite a few of those on it.
Shuichi Biyouin -> Claude Delucre. Like, "clawed the lucre," because he's profit-minded. Also sounds like "Claude, the looker," because oh my is he handsome! (Ha ha ha.)

5-3:

Shinji Ichiro -> Leonidas Means. Leonidas was the king of Sparta, which fits into the whole Greek god thing he's got going on. Plus, he has a little lion on his vest! Ain't it cute??
Chishio Atsui -> Tracey Wheeler. Tracey like tracing, and wheeler like a pottery wheel. The perfect name for a hot-blooded artist!
Spoiler:
Tracey is a decidedly androgynous name as well, which helps with the reveal. (PS-- how come the moment you learn Chishio's a girl, everyone immediately drops the possibility of a romance between the two? How dare Capcom not allow two female characters to have onscreen romantic interactions?? Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies??? More like Straight Attorney: Crual Heteronormativies, am I right?????

Rei Shizuya -> Harold Cerulean. Cerulean like the color, herp a derp. Harold has the word "arrow" in it, because he's an archer I think.

5-4:

Daichi Aoi -> Thomas Major. "Ground control to Major Tom-- your circuit's dead! Is something wrong?"
Hoshinaro Taiyou -> Wyatt Dwarf. White dwarf. Because he's a star or something.
Uchuu Oogawara -> Melchior Andromeda. Melchior comes from "milky" as in the Milky Way. So his name refers to the Milky Way and Andromeda, the two nearest galaxies. Melchior is also the name of one of the Biblical magi, which means he's oooooooold. Impossibly old. Old as balls.
Kaguya Yuugami -> Selene Blackquill. SELENE is the name of the Japanese satellite which her name derives from, so yep.

5-5:

Mari Kizuki -> Mary Cykes. Straight up romanization of her first name.

:objection:
Selene Blackquill? SELENE Blackquill????!!!! Dude, you are one bad operator. Because I PM'd Bolt a week ago, and I told him her name should be SELENA Blackquill. Seriously.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

The X makes it cool!

I can't really think of a good name for everyone else, but all I want is that rapper from the DLC case to have the shameless stage name of "Lil' Dwayne" or something equally lame.

Apologize!!!

Geo 'Stelar' Azur for Aoi Daichi.
Literally the blue earth. Also Azur is satellite's name!

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

I have a feeling Artemis Cykes was reserved for Mari Kizuki. Artemis Cykes could've been better than Athena Cykes, (in my opinion) but I'm guessing they used Athena b/c her mother should be Artemis. I also like Maria Cykes though.

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

We are one

Spoiler:
Kyuubi Ginji -> Tyson Fox (Allusion with Tyson Fox, a character in the movie "Scream 3" who was attacked and stabbed before being thrown over a balcony to his death. I hope some of you know that movie received negative reviews at the moment.)
Chishio Atsui -> Liv Inergy (Pun with the phrase "Livin' with energy" in reference with his hot-bloddiness. I mean, HER hot-bloddiness. And Liv is an unisex name, in reference with her tomboyish side.)
Aoi Daichi -> Castor Pollux (From the stars in the constellation of Gemini and reference with the Greek mythology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_and_Pollux )
Mari Kizuki -> Metis Cykes (In the Greek mythology, Metis was Zeus's first great spouse and was Athena's mother. Curious, huh?)

Last edited by Sportacus on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Voodoo Lady wrote:

Spoiler:
(PS-- how come the moment you learn Chishio's a girl, everyone immediately drops the possibility of a romance between the two? How dare Capcom not allow two female characters to have onscreen romantic interactions?? Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies??? More like Straight Attorney: Crual Heteronormativies, am I right?????
Spoiler:
Erm... I don't mean to be a homophobe, but isn't stuff like that meant to be restricted to, like, the fandom? Also, creators reserve right to decide their own characters' sexuality, y'know.

I believe we had enough fanservice of this sort in the joke form, like EdgeworthxPhoenix, LanaxMia and FrannyxAdrian (? not sure about that one...).

We are one

Shinji Ichiro -> Jupiter Means (Jupiter is the Roman mythology equivalent with the Greek Zeus, due to his ressemblance by his face and in reference with his occupation or something like that...)

Sound too close to Juniper's name. >.>

Art Person

Hmm...
  • Shuuichi Biyouin = Franco Eleganté (Elegant and Fragrance, Kinda fits with his Japanese name?)
  • Rei Shizuya = Arthur Frost (Arthur sounds like "Archer for Archery) /Chris Archer (Chris sounds like "Crisp" for Cold)

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

We should also do a thread on who would be a good voice actor for each of the characters. Here's who I came up with:

Phoenix: Sam Riegel (obviously!)
Apollo: Nathan Vetterlein (the guy who voiced the Scout in TF2.)
Athena: Alesia Glidewell
Simon: Nolan North (I think of SPAAAACE! when I hear his voice)
Bobby: Dee Bradley Baker
Edgeworth: Stephen Merchant
Judge: Rick May
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Last edited by Yash K. Productions on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

I wish I WERE the best.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking the Great Kyuubi would simply be localized as the Great Nine-Tails although the name kind of looks too plain. Maybe the Legendary Nine-Tails?

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

AnsweringNOW wrote:
Speaking of which, I'm thinking the Great Kyuubi would simply be localized as the Great Nine-Tails although the name kind of looks too plain. Maybe the Legendary Nine-Tails?

I was thinking something along those lines. But then again, they did keep Tenma Taro (probs because it was really difficult to localize.)

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

jaydrick0620 wrote:
AnsweringNOW wrote:

I was thinking something along those lines. But then again, they did keep Tenma Taro (probs because it was really difficult to localize.)
黙りなァ!The Great Kyuubi? It's actually "The Nine-Tailed Fox", mister! Image

I wish I WERE the best.

No, there's a character in the game called the "Great Kyuubi". The Nine-Tailed Fox is something else entirely.

Boogy-oogy-oogy-oogy

The King Kitsune, maybe?
Voodoo Sprites

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

AnsweringNOW wrote:
No, there's a character in the game called the "Great Kyuubi". The Nine-Tailed Fox is something else entirely.
Wait, you mean Kyuubi Ginji? The mayor of Nine-Tails Vale?

I wish I WERE the best.

aplab23207 wrote:
AnsweringNOW wrote:

No, there's a wrestler named the Great Kyuubi.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

AnsweringNOW wrote:
aplab23207 wrote:
AnsweringNOW wrote:

No, there's a wrestler named the Great Kyuubi.

I kinda knew that from the ending, But the REAL Great Kyuubi is...
Spoiler:
Deemon Tenma, and that's exactly why his daughter is a big fan. Image

I wish I WERE the best.

Apparently, Shouko Umino's and Ale's names in English are Buckler (not confirmed if first or last name) and Orla, respectively. Interesting although the names only came from one English screenshot of Turnabout Return. Of course, Orla's obviously comes from "orca" and I guess Buckler comes from "buccaneer". Hmm...

Lord of procrastination

AnsweringNOW wrote:
Apparently, Shouko Umino's and Ale's names in English are Buckler (not confirmed if first or last name) and Orla, respectively. Interesting although the names only came from one English screenshot of Turnabout Return. Of course, Orla's obviously comes from "orca" and I guess Buckler comes from "buccaneer". Hmm...

Swashbuckler.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

MaToVy wrote:
AnsweringNOW wrote:

Swashbuckler.

I think her English name is "Sasha Buckler".

I wish I WERE the best.

MaToVy wrote:
AnsweringNOW wrote:

Swashbuckler.

Wow, silly me.

aplab23207 wrote:
MaToVy wrote:
AnsweringNOW wrote:

Swashbuckler.

I think her English name is "Sasha Buckler".

Wow, good guess. Does sound close enough to swashbuckler.

Anyway, I think Ikuya Itsuka is going to be Marlin Corsair (the initials are apparently a term for rapping). Marlin comes from marlinspike and corsair is a term for a pirate.

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

I'm calling that Sasha Buckler is the actual English name. :pearl:

jaydrick0620 wrote:

Or Buckler Sasha :godot:

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Prosecutor Yuugami wrote:
jaydrick0620 wrote:

Or Buckler Sasha :godot:

Illogical. Here are my other name ideas excluding Turnabout Return:

Daichi Aoi: Jonathan Cobalt (Put a long "E" sound between the "J" and the "O", and you get the "geo" in "geology", which relates to the meaning of his full name, "blue earth")
Taiyou Hoshinari: Tarek Sterling (both names relate to star
Uchuu Oogawara: Melchior Ohgawara (Melchior is a pun on the "milky" in "Milky Way", and the Edgeworth cutscene shows his surname misspelled, which is probably the English spelling)
Spoiler:
I got the "Melchior" and "Cobalt" from Voodoo Lady. :edgy:

Kaguya Yuugami: Selena Blackquill
Mari Kizuki: Minerva Cykes
Spoiler:
I got this from AnsweringNOW. Thanks for the idea, man. :edgy:

I don't think Oowagara's "English" name spelling will be kept in English version, actually. :yogi:

Art Person

Sligneris wrote:
I don't think Oowagara's "English" name spelling will be kept in English version, actually. :yogi:

I know that they romanise his name in game as "Ohgawara" and by changing his name, they'd need to redraw the anime cutscenes, so I don't know if they'd keep his name as is, and just change his first name? Kinda like how Deemon Tenma had not change from his Japanese name.

Hm... Deemon Tenma make some sense, but I can't see that with Ohgawara...

Also, why can't they redraw it? They did it with sprites, shout bubbles, backgrounds, locations and evidence before. I see no problem here.

Boogy-oogy-oogy-oogy

Sligneris wrote:
Hm... Deemon Tenma make some sense, but I can't see that with Ohgawara...

Also, why can't they redraw it? They did it with sprites, shout bubbles, backgrounds, locations and evidence before. I see no problem here.

It's much, much easier to change a background than it is to change an anime cutscene made by an external company.
Voodoo Sprites

...or to ask said company to do that.

Boogy-oogy-oogy-oogy

Also, puns for the DLC case I think??

Ale Arafune -> Orla Cetacean. I wanted to come up with a funny pun name and I was like "Hey, this sounds like "a laceration" and also like a cetacean like the mammal??"
Ryouji Arafune -> Edward Cetacean. Edward like Edward Teach (aka Blackbeard). Also, they could call him Eddy, which is all rough watery and etc. like his Japanese name.
Shouko Umino -> Sasha Buckler. Is there any question here?
Reika Uratori -> Candice Coleridge. Candice is the name of a novel, and Coleridge was the surname of a fellow who wrote a pretty notable poem about the crew of a ship. Plus, it makes the phrase "ice cold!" And it's alliterative.
Ikuya Itsuka -> Matt Fishrap. Matt was supposed to be short for mature?? Like, growing up.
Spoiler:
Oh, and rap because that's what he does. RAP.

Gaku Sugimori -> Penn Cooper. Because there's a penguin nesting in his hair I guess?
Suzumi Natsuzake -> Belle Luger. Um... she works with a whale. So she's named like a whale? A bel-luga. Ahahaha.
Voodoo Sprites

Boogy-oogy-oogy-oogy

Sligneris wrote:
...or to ask said company to do that.

Even then-- changing a still image is much easier than changing a moving one.
Voodoo Sprites

In the anime cutscenes his name there is like... Two static backgrounds in the scene?

Art Person

Sligneris wrote:
In the anime cutscenes his name there is like... Two static backgrounds in the scene?

You can be surprised at how they can sometimes be, like how they left the Kanji on Meekin's police outfit:
Image Image
That's in both AJ and in PW. And he appeared in that 3D video in 'Rise from the Ashes' remember? So it may be the same case for this?
Then again, the English translation was happening concurrently with the Japanese game (or so I heard) and so they could've asked Bones (the company who made the anime cutscenes) to re-draw the scene then?
Spoiler: Case 4 opening anime scene
However, they did use almost only English in some cutscenes like Case 4's opening cutscene with signs in the space station.
I'm unsure now... :udgy:

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

I wish I WERE the best.

SuperAj3 wrote:
Sligneris wrote:

I know that they romanise his name in game as "Ohgawara" and by changing his name, they'd need to redraw the anime cutscenes, so I don't know if they'd keep his name as is, and just change his first name? Kinda like how Deemon Tenma had not change from his Japanese name.

Really? His English name has been confirmed already?

And anyway, they did change the background for a Case 3 location (not a spoiler btw) and the writing on Myriam Scuttlebutt's box so I guess they would change all Japanese text on the backgrounds, sprites and mugshots to English (not counting Case 2 considering the setting). They could very well redraw that portion of the anime cutscene.

Boogy-oogy-oogy-oogy

I haven't seen the cutscene myself, mind you, and I'm not sure how they animate it either.

If they use layers and Oogawara's name only appears on a pair of static background, then a name change is feasible.
Voodoo Sprites

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

More name updates:
Hozumi Kaku: Heidi Cornelia
Deemon Tenma: Keep it
Rei Shizuya: Ace Frost
Chishio Atsui: Ash Scarlet
Shinji Ichiro: Randall Means

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Locations/Updates

GYAXA: NASA (The GYAXA insignia looks like the NASA logo)
Update: Mari Kizuki: Monica Cykes (I'm guessing that because of the Mood Matrix's nickname, Monita, and Simon's sister's robot, Ponta. Ponta + Monica = Monita. Weird coincidence, huh?)
Page 1 of 6 [ 224 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)