Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 22[ 866 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

What do you think of Dual Destinies?Topic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

As someone who won't get to play DD for at least a week, I'm really interested in knowing what people think about the game right now!

So post a mini-review! What do you like? What do you not like? How does it rank against the other GS/GK games?

Please tag all spoilers, no matter how small. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested in hearing fan's reactions but doesn't want to be spoiled since I plan to play it myself.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
Re: What do you think of Dual Destinies?Topic%20Title

The Trial to the Truth begins

What I will say is this... I've finished with Case 1 and I have enjoyed the game so far. Sure, it's dark but I feel that it's good to be back as an Ace Attorney.
Avatar made by Purple Angel and Signature done by Vicki-chan. ^^
I thank them both so much! The Trial to the Truth has begun.
Dual Destinies Playthrough: Here

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I suppose if I was playing this game (I mean the actual content, not the versions) for the first time, I'd have lots of things to talk about. By this point, it's more of a matter of comparing scripts and searching for localized jokes and other changes. Aw, I wish I could skip through text I hadn't accessed yet, but this isn't PLvsAA.

Well, I can say one little thing. The hype is worth it.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Gettin' Old!

So far as I can see the Jury System just disappeared.

Also I'm in real fear of Athena turning into an actual Mary Sue cause I quite liked some of her things at first.

18....studied in several European countries to be a Lawyer....ALSO did a full degree in analytical psychology.....

I mean Franziska was pushing it with her young age of success but she had her crazy father to push her so it was somewhat understandable. Athena just seems to come from nowhere...

Concerns aside I'm kinda loving how intense the first case ended up being. it's funny to look back on ol' Frank Sahwit and see how extreme things have become now. Kind of like how his trial was portrayed in the movie compared to any other trial.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I played it for a couple of hours and I paused for the day right after the first investigation phase of Case 2.

So far I think it's pretty good. There are flaws but at this point they're evened out by a range of great stuff IMO.

I liked how dramatic case 1 got at the end. It was much needed because despite of the case having a shocking premise and some shocking twists and all that coupled with a-ok writing and some genuinely good jokes and puns I felt like there were also sections where the writing felt as stiff as in the AAI games. It's nothing to write home about, just a little over-written sometimes and could've been more concise, and most importantly "more natural". It's sometimes too "writy-ish" as in, doesn't feel like something that's spoken by a person. But overall case 1 is a great case, but maybe I felt it was a bit too indulging as an introduction for this game. At least it feels "massive" and that nicely paints up the rest of the plot I guess.

Case 2 is good so far, though I feel like we have some of the same problems already as in AAI where the more complex/convoluted it gets over time as mysteries are unraveled/solved and new plot-points are adressed, the more it feels like the story is losing me... not because I don't get the point, but because I don't really care as much as it seems the game wants me to. The main difference though is that in both case 1 and 2 Yamazaki has learned to throw in stuff that makes you care more.
Spoiler: Cases 1 and 2
In case 1 it's Apollo being injured and later being assaulted and in case 2 it's the fact that aside from the whole "merge" stuff and the crazy-ass "yokai-craze" you have Damian who's accused and who feels responsible for his town and especially for his daughter, so there's an emotional connection that makes everything seem more down-to-earth.
This is EXACTLY what I felt was lacking from many cases in AAI, and it shows the GK team did their homework on how to make it work in a "true" Ace Attorney game.

I'll tune in later to see what you guys think about the game as well as giving more opinions... and seeing if I still agree with what I've typed now after having seen some more. :minuki:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Last edited by Bolt Storm on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Adding spoiler tags

What did he do this time...?

It's another good ol' Ace Attorney game, or at least over the first case. I have no objections at all. I think you'll like it.
The dialogue is nice and they really changed the first case from the demo.
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

I've played case 1 and 2 so far and I feel like it's about to step up a gear. Don't get me wrong, I have been enjoying it, but case 1 was not as brilliant as the set-up for it seemed. Of course it's a first case so nothing to judge the series on and it did have it's cool turnabout moment but as others have said, the dialogue was a bit AA1ish at times. But only at times. Mostly it was good.
Case 2 was a lot more fun to play. I really like what Athena's gonna bring to the game.

A few of the game's new aspects:

Cutscenes
Beautiful, obviously. I don't always have 3D switched on doing gameplay but as soon as a cutscene turns up I switch to it. And yes, the voice acting is going to take a bit of getting used to. I don't hate any voices so far, but finding Phoenix's just a tad strange...I'm determined to get used to it though. Also, at the moment the cutscenes are all a bit too short and I'm finding way overdramatic. GS5 seems to be blown out to epic proportions. Though there is one from the first case that I'm very intrigued by
Spoiler:
Athena's past trauma seems to be linked to Blackquill, interested to see how this pans out.

Investigation
So cool. Love zooming around the room and actually I find it very helpful that it now tells you when you're fully examined an object/area. It's a bit weird that you don't get to examine every location. I do miss that. Loads of cool locations that I'm just dying to go tap tap tap over.

Mood Matrix and Perceive
I know that psychelocks are going to make a return but so far it's just been Athena's and Apollo's tricks. I really like doing both and I wish case 1 and 2 had made more use of them. I guess you aren't supposed to be over-dependent on them but it would be nice to see more of both. Especially Apollo's
Spoiler:
so annoyed when Blackquill wouldn't let Apollo use his bracelet

Just in general the game is very high quality. Love the character designs for the most part and all the animations are well thought out with lots of variety. Juniper's knitting one is particularly cute.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the sh!t hitting the fan.

Idol of Polar Bears

Echoing what others have said. Episode 1 started slow but ratcheted up the intensity toward the end, sometimes padded conversations that go nowhere, and I haven't noticed many pop culture jokes (Barrel of Monkeys is the only one). Also
Spoiler: Case 1
"I've have..."

It's also definitely more gruesome than previous installments but that's fine by me. The more graphic and shocking, the better. Adds an often overlooked aspect of apprehension that was missing from previous games.

Definitely looking forward to it getting better.

Gettin' Old!

Yeah one thing that stands out...a rather sizeable amount of typos and grammar problems so far.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

1000% Knight

Quote:
Also I'm in real fear of Athena turning into an actual Mary Sue cause I quite liked some of her things at first.

18....studied in several European countries to be a Lawyer....ALSO did a full degree in analytical psychology.....

I've been waiting for someone else to finally see it my way...! :acro:

Don't forget that she also knows karate (or some sort of martial arts)

And...
Spoiler: Major Case 5 Spoilers
Simon was willing to die for her for no real reason beyond "she was my teacher's kid".

I really really really wish Athena had been a few years older. Would've solved all my complaints about her =\
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Pierre wrote:
Yeah one thing that stands out...a rather sizeable amount of typos and grammar problems so far.

I noticed this too. I just started Day 2 of Case 2 and I've noticed at least 4-5 errors so far. :yuusaku:

Up to Case 4, the game has been very glitchy so far. I should specify that thanks to sleep mode, I have not turned the game off or gone back to the title screen at any point, which may be the cause of these glitches, but I don't know for sure.

1. The dialogue review became useless by the end of Case 2. Over three quarters of it is just blank. It usually shows the character name but no dialogue, but occasionally it doesn't even do that.
2. When viewing evidence in detail, text is sometimes black instead of white, making it impossible to read against the mostly black background. Moving around the evidence list and then viewing the evidence again seems to fix it though.
3. In Case 4 so far, I've had two lines during normal gameplay that have been completely blank. Thanks to problem 1 I can't check what they said, either. I hope this problem doesn't keep up.

All of that aside, I'm really loving the game so far. I hope Cases 4 and 5 are as good as the first three.

Gettin' Old!

M5432 wrote:
Up to Case 4, the game has been very glitchy so far. I should specify that thanks to sleep mode, I have not turned the game off or gone back to the title screen at any point, which may be the cause of these glitches, but I don't know for sure.

1. The dialogue review became useless by the end of Case 2. Over three quarters of it is just blank. It usually shows the character name but no dialogue, but occasionally it doesn't even do that.
2. When viewing evidence in detail, text is sometimes black instead of white, making it impossible to read against the mostly black background. Moving around the evidence list and then viewing the evidence again seems to fix it though.
3. In Case 4 so far, I've had two lines during normal gameplay that have been completely blank. Thanks to problem 1 I can't check what they said, either. I hope this problem doesn't keep up.

All of that aside, I'm really loving the game so far. I hope Cases 4 and 5 are as good as the first three.

That's really weird, I've not heard of any bugs like that...maybe give it a rest man?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Maybe his SD card is causing the game to load with bugs? Not all SD cards are equally good you know?

Text of Steel!

M5432 wrote:

I saw a review mention this glitch. Just go back to the 3ds home menu and restart the game. Dialogue will be back to normal

I had already gotten this far, I was hoping to beat the game without restarting for no real reason. But then the very next line when I started playing again was blank, so yeah, I just went ahead and returned to the title screen. All the dialogue problems seem to be fixed, for now.

Ace Attorney

I'm gonna be honest and say I haven't played AAI but I've owned it since it released here in the US, but I've played 1-3 and Apollo Justice which I've loved, so I'm glad to have this series back. I've only finished the first case but it was perhaps the best first case of the entire series.

I plan to go back and play them all again (including AAI) when I finish this and I'll rank them accordingly after that.

Either way, I'm just glad we got another game here in the US. I wanted physical though! (I like to have a nice collection and my OCD kills me that I can't have this on the shelf with the rest)

Still haven't played it, but I've been reading tons of spoiler-free impressions and it's got me really excited about this game. People are specifically calling out Case 3 as one of the best in the series, if not the best.

Now if only that DLC case would come out...
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

迷探偵

M5432 wrote:

I played the game in one go too, so without turning the game off, or going back to the title screen, but never had any glitches. I played the Japanese version though, so it might be a bug specific to the English version.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:
M5432 wrote:

I played the game in one go too, so without turning the game off, or going back to the title screen, but never had any glitches. I played the Japanese version though, so it might be a bug specific to the English version.

I've heard a lot of people having glitches with the text, both the history log and the normal text. It sounds like shutting the game off somewhat frequently (or at least not playing it all in one go). Hopefully they'll make a patch for the issues at some point.

迷探偵

hosoboso (who always brings a lot of GS news) has also encountered the bug in the English version, and when I asked, he too seemed to have played for a long time. So it might be something there.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Objection!

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Aw, I wish I could skip through text I hadn't accessed yet, but this isn't PLvsAA.

You actually can, by pressing B!

ThePaSch wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Aw, I wish I could skip through text I hadn't accessed yet, but this isn't PLvsAA.

I was under the impression you can skip text by holding the touchscreen as well on your first playthrough.

As someone who tends to leave the stylus touching the screen, that's something I'm actually not happy about, but I think a lot of people like that feature.

Gettin' Old!

D.A. McCoy wrote:
ThePaSch wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

I was under the impression you can skip text by holding the touchscreen as well on your first playthrough.

As someone who tends to leave the stylus touching the screen, that's something I'm actually not happy about, but I think a lot of people like that feature.

I'm pretty sure that was the case with previous games.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

No it wasn't. There was no way to skip through text you saw for the first time in the older games.

Gettin' Old!

linkenski wrote:
No it wasn't. There was no way to skip through text you saw for the first time in the older games.

Oh I didn't mean the first time. I meant it functioned the same way as holding the B down did for speeding up text.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

My bad :-P

Pierre wrote:
linkenski wrote:

Oh I didn't mean the first time. I meant it functioned the same way as holding the B down did for speeding up text.

Yes they did have that in the older games, but only on 2nd playthroughs. If I'm not mistaken, DD has it for the first playthrough as well. I guess it's not a big deal though, as I can just check the log now.

Surf's Up!

I'm really disappointed at being unable to examine the vast majority of locations, other than the actual crime scene.

Spoiler: Case 2
Also, what was the point of Trucy in case 2? She does even less than Ema does in AAI (at least Ema helps with some footprint analysis, Trucy does absolutely nothing).

NinjaMonkey wrote:
I'm really disappointed at being unable to examine the vast majority of locations, other than the actual crime scene.

Spoiler: Case 2
Also, what was the point of Trucy in case 2? She does even less than Ema does in AAI (at least Ema helps with some footprint analysis, Trucy does absolutely nothing).

Spoiler:
I haven't played it yet, but my guess was it was just a way of getting the character there to show they are still there hanging out with everybody. Kind of like Pearl in 3-2.

Heat Guy J

I mostly liked it. I've just completed the game, and am eagerly awaiting the DLC case.

I liked the music, graphics and character designs; it made the game feel awesome. I feel the game holds your hand a bit more than previous games do though; everything feels more automatic. The investigation part feels a bit more guided, and some of the cases are predictable, like I get handed this piece of evidence, and then I get what happens long before the characters in the game are asked to explain it. But it was still fun, so I didn't really mind that much.
Spoiler:
I didn't expect that "Bobby" was the phantom though. Still would have liked to have seen his real face. And I felt the last few cases had too few cutscenes. Especially because they were more important and closer to the end.
I also like what they did with Apollo and Gavin in this game. In Apollo's previous game, I felt he didn't take enough initiative, and just did what Phoenix wanted him to, and even Gavin was helping him too much. I thought Gavin was a bit too much of a Gary Stu in the previous game who doesn't really care if he wins or loses, and he's not fun to beat, so I liked that he had a minor role in this game, doesn't play for a rock band anymore, and was not an antagonist.
This may just be me, but I thought he looked silly when he was doing the mock mock trial in case 3. It was probably a combination of the way his face gets rendered in that pose in 3D and Apollo thinking the whole idea was ridiculous.

Pauca sed matura.

Last edited by Jay on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surf's Up!

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Spoiler:
I haven't played it yet, but my guess was it was just a way of getting the character there to show they are still there hanging out with everybody. Kind of like Pearl in 3-2.

Pearl did actually do something, though (confirming that the urn was genuine).

Bad Player wrote:
Quote:

I've been waiting for someone else to finally see it my way...! :acro:

Don't forget that she also knows karate (or some sort of martial arts)

And...
Spoiler: Major Case 5 Spoilers
Simon was willing to die for her for no real reason beyond "she was my teacher's kid".

I really really really wish Athena had been a few years older. Would've solved all my complaints about her =\

That kinda baffles me though. It's just to be taken with a grain of salt that she's 18. It's not even record-breaking since Franziska and Klavier were 13 and 17 years old respectively when they got their job. I just think it's kinda how in GS1-3 you learn to accept there's channeling involved and Athena is just playing along with the tropes of AA.

Not saying she isn't a sue though. By case 2 - 3 it's not too bad. She's still pretty enjoyable and not too over-the-top which I thought she would be. But it still feels kinda cheap how she's just this new character amongst all the old ones and by halfway into case 2 it's just as if she's been there forever... she even knows Trucy and calls her by name with no introduction after the first trial... That's friggin weird and lazy writing IMO. :yogi:

linkenski wrote:
Not saying she isn't a sue though. By case 2 - 3 it's not too bad. She's still pretty enjoyable and not too over-the-top which I thought she would be. But it still feels kinda cheap how she's just this new character amongst all the old ones and by halfway into case 2 it's just as if she's been there forever... she even knows Trucy and calls her by name with no introduction after the first trial... That's friggin weird and lazy writing IMO. :yogi:

She at least meets Pearl in the DLC case for the first time. Pearl mentions that Maya calls her "Pearly", so Athena picks it up from there. I anxiously await the possibly cringe-inducing dub of the pirate songs.

I admit that Athena literally popped in from nowhere, but now that she's here, there's no taking her out. That'd be even poorer writing.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

A.K.A. Court or Court-Records.

I really enjoyed Dual Destinies for what it gave me. Dissapointed at length, but that could just be me.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
linkenski wrote:

She at least meets Pearl in the DLC case for the first time. Pearl mentions that Maya calls her "Pearly", so Athena picks it up from there. I anxiously await the possibly cringe-inducing dub of the pirate songs.

I admit that Athena literally popped in from nowhere, but now that she's here, there's no taking her out. That'd be even poorer writing.

I still haven't played it (so I probably shouldn't even be commenting, but my excitement for the game is making me feel the need to haha) but I've always felt like each game is only a small window into the lives of these characters for the time period the games take place in (except for the GK games which take place within 1 month). So I would just assume that they met at some point offscreen, especially since each new "part" of a case tends to being anywhere from around 11:00 AM to like 3:00 PM, leading to at least 2 hours of offscreen discussion time going on. It is a bit lazy, but then again I haven't played it yet so I will have to wait to see what I actually think about it when I do.

Chess wrote:
I really enjoyed Dual Destinies for what it gave me. Dissapointed at length, but that could just be me.

A couple of questions:

Do you mean that it was too short, or too long?

Around how long is it? Is it comparable to another AA game?

I've heard there's some weird connection between Case 4 and 5. Without giving away any spoilers, are either of those shorter than the average full case?

D.A. McCoy wrote:
I still haven't played it (so I probably shouldn't even be commenting, but my excitement for the game is making me feel the need to haha) but I've always felt like each game is only a small window into the lives of these characters for the time period the games take place in (except for the GK games which take place within 1 month). So I would just assume that they met at some point offscreen, especially since each new "part" of a case tends to being anywhere from around 11:00 AM to like 3:00 PM, leading to at least 2 hours of offscreen discussion time going on. It is a bit lazy, but then again I haven't played it yet so I will have to wait to see what I actually think about it when I do.

Seeing how the cases themselves are focused on the cases at hand and not the characters' personal relationships, I can understand why Athena and Trucy meeting at one point won't be described in detail, at least not any time soon. By any chance there's a future game that features Phoenix Wright abroad in a completely different legal system, that's the best place to bring the point back up. I would be psyched (harhar, pun) to know about such a game, but I doubt it'd be something so close to our present.

Besides, the games have always been pretty scattered in timeline, and introductions go by really fast. The next time we, the players, see a character, it's been several months between cases.

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Chess wrote:

A couple of questions:

I've heard there's some weird connection between Case 4 and 5. Without giving away any spoilers, are either of those shorter than the average full case?

The gameplay is around the length of previous titles, but I do agree that the story is a bit more linear than usual. However, given the complexity of the mysteries, drifting off further from what optional text is already present could potentially drag out the cases, rather than bring further interest.

As for case 4 & 5, the two are very closely associated. You could say they're also pretty short. (None of the cases in this game, including DLC, go beyond 2 days of investigations.)

Last edited by Rubia Ryu the Royal on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surf's Up!

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
You could say they're also pretty short. (None of the cases in this game, including DLC, go behind 2 days of investigations.)

That's been happening ever since Justice For All, though.

A.K.A. Court or Court-Records.

A couple of questions:

---Too Short D:>

--- Oh god. It's faster than any other AA game I've played it feels like. The shortness of JFA, but with 5 cases. O.o Maybe a bit longer.

- Yes. They're both shorter, by far. D:>
Page 1 of 22 [ 866 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)