Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 1[ 30 posts ]

About character art of GS5Topic%20Title

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Just a bit of a nitpicky thread but I wanted to hear what you guys think of the character art of GS5 in general.
I also want to know who did the various character designs for this game? I've heard it's good 'ol Tatsuro Iwamoto.
It's just that I noticed that in a lot of cases Tatsuro's characters either have very long faces or their mouths are too wide and are placed too low, like with Phoenix' official art that was first revealed. I mean look at this mouth!
Image :payne:
I for one did not like the majority of GK's character art, but this is definitely an improvement even though some characters seem to have the same faults.

Again, I apologize if this comes off as whiny, but I just wanna know how the artwork compares to older games? Are breakdowns turned up to 11 with weirdness like in AAI, or do they actually make a little sense here? Are characters over-expressive or is it subtle?
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Re: About character art of GS5Topic%20Title

1000% Knight

I really liked the cast of GS5. I thought the character designs were varied, interesting, and amusing; the animations were also great. Seriously, I could watch Phineas' "groveling" animation forever... *_*

And yeah, the breakdowns are pretty weird. They were good, but not the best in the franchise imo.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I recall from a blog entry that the art director goes by the surname 布施. He's not new on the art team, but I think this is the first game where he's starred as the director. Could someone confirm this for me?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Good to know, but I really don't get what's up with the mouths of the main characters. Try looking at this comparison I've made.

and then look at this:

Which one do you like more?

I like the top one better.

Judging from my own face I can get a fingertip between the end of my nose and my lips, so the official art seems fine to me.

Strange. It's just no one's commented on the mouth thing, but it was really the first thing I noticed about Phoenix and Edgey's artwork. Even in the one wher phoenix is opening his mouth while pointing it looks off.

earthlings on fire

I prefer the top as well. To me, it looks more natural.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Hm that's just me then. How annoying :P

linkenski wrote:
Hm that's just me then. How annoying :P

No, wait a minute. Now after a while I begin to prefer your modified version. It's weird, now the original image looks strange in my eyes as well.
Damn it, the low mouth can't be unseen! :chinami: :will:

WHY THE LONG FACE, EDGEWORTH??

If it weren't for the way Edgey looks like he's about to start suckling on his finger in the edited picture, I probably wouldn't have even noticed the difference. It's such a minor thing, isn't it? The first one looks a little better to me, but really, I'd be fine either way. As long as his head doesn't look way too small for his giant, padded torso, as in some of his sprites over the years, I have no complaints.

Wotter boy

Hmm...
Never knew that...

Before you believe me, please feel your

I look those two faces on Miles Edgeworth but I find them both the same.

I've never really thought about their low mouths before, but I can't say it bothers me.

I don't really get Edgeworth's new suit, however. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems so...off. Love the glasses though.

GREAT and POWERFUL Trixie's co-council

jayvdale wrote:

Me too, I can't tell the difference xD

I dunno, I think the main characters' designs in DD are pretty cool. Especially Edgeworth's (I LOVE those glasses).
I'm not English. Excuse my grammar errors.

SweetieBot wrote:
jayvdale wrote:

Me too, I can't tell the difference xD

I dunno, I think the main characters' designs in DD are pretty cool. Especially Edgeworth's (I LOVE those glasses).

Yeah but...his outfit got pinker, and his suit jacket turned into a coat for some reason. I don't know, I just find his new outfit odd.

I didn't think about the change of color, but I'm color-blind anyway xD so that would probably have been weird. I'd say I think the character art of GS5 is great because it looks smooth and the colors are bright and simple. I'd rank GS5's art over any of the GK games' art to any date because... yuck, i really dislike the character art in the GK games. It's just the anime-style and especially the coloring is not very well thought through.

But overall I really miss the character art-style of the first two games and Apollo Justice. I didn't dig the look of Apollo or Trucy in his own game but I found Kristoph, Phoenix and just about all of the witnesses to have a distinct and unique look to them that distinguished from your usual anime-flicks. GS5's art is still unique, but I felt the witnesses of AJ and the original PW trilogy to be a good bit better because they were somewhat recognizable, sharing traits from people IRL.

It's like in GS5 a lot of the character art is rather based on anime characters or cartoon characters than real stereotypes. To take some examples to compare, PW:AA has the bellboy for example. He's your typical bellboy but they took it further and exaggerated his look by having him always wander around with his tea set. In GS5 you have a person like that Captain dude, who is based more off of a cartoon sailor than one of the real world and the segway was more of a "wtf, lol" gimmick than a parody as I see it. I mean, even Edgeworth's design is an exaggeration of how formal attorneys dress and his cravat added to his sinister-ness, whereas both Agent Lang and Simon Blackquill are based on cartoony animal-esque ninja-dudes.

There were always non-sensical character designs but I feel as if since GK they've overdone it to the point where most of the characters don't bear enough similarity to what you see in real life. Maybe it has more to do with the vision/humor of the writers than the art-directors.

Seriously it's just the way this guy "Fuse" works. I actually like his/her art a lot. It's very colorful and clean... but that mouth. This is from the official GS5 artbook. Take a look!

I know this is taking the joke too far, but here goes. This is why I wouldn't want to see Ema if Fuse drew her:

This is exaggerating it, but seriously. How can that dude not see what he's doing wrong?

Yeah, that low mouth is bugging me.

Gettin' Old!

I....actually see nothing wrong with any of these supposed 'low mouths'....except that Ema one but you did it yourself and admitted to exaggeration.

They all look fine to me.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Yeah okay, and I admit too that it's in the details, but somehow it just stood out... no, it litterally jumped right in my face how off it looks on both Phoenix, Klavier and Edgeworth.

Gettin' Old!

But Phoenix and especially Edgeworth look fine...the modified Edgeworth looks weird, like he's overly grumpy about something.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Dunno, man, that's how I like to picture him. I love the good ol grumpy edgeworth more than the righteous one from later games.

Pierre wrote:
But Phoenix and especially Edgeworth look fine...the modified Edgeworth looks weird, like he's overly grumpy about something.

Consider that this is how he looked originally: Image GS1 concept art.

And then say that again. He's supposed to look grumpy. In the official GS5 art both he and Phoenix look all prudish. I know Edgeworth is rather regal, but he always had some kind of rash nature about his facial expression

That's not a grumpy face. That's just a mildly interested serious face.
Notice how he doesn't look like he's thrusting out his chin?

I didn't mean to say that he looks grumpy in that exact picture. It was just to compare how he was drawn.

I never ever liked GS1 designs, so I can't say much.

Whaaaat? GS1 and GS4 had the best artwork evar. I don't think neither Tatsuro nor Fuse did well at redrawing characters like Edgeworth. They look much more charismatic in the original artwork and Kazyua Nuri actually did an amazing job at redrawing them for PLvsAA. (If only you could say the same for how they came to be in polygonal models :/)

GS1 and good designs?... Meh.

...Well, maybe designs were good, but not characters' appearance when it comes to official art.

Basically, the quality since JFA is much better, imo.

As far as I know Kumiko Suekane worked on both PW1 and 2. And I do like the appearances in the first game. I thought they were expressive and well-done.

And there are some really memorable ones like the bellboy and Redd White, Von Karma, Yanni Yogi. All of them were good imo. as was mostly everyone in JFA. T&T was the first game where I didn't like all the character art.

are you saying you think it's only gone uphill since JFA? Because as I recall mostly all new characters in the GK series have absolutely atrocious artwork and mismatching colours.

I somehow prefer this over this

And this over this

I dunno, maybe that's just me

Last edited by Sligneris on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dead links, but I'm assuming you're comparing returning characters across different games in artstyle and you chose something (T&T maybe) over GS1.

This is entirely a taste thing from both of us now but this is a nitpicky and kind of biased thread I guess so that's fine.

You see the way I look at it is that the more the artstyle looks like a 90's saturday cartoon the more I like it, and the more it looks like generic anime the less I like it. Or maybe it's "old-school anime" artstyle prefer over how it's evolved over the past 10 years. Anyhow, I think the GS1 artstyle is charming because it's very simplistic and it suits the nature of the game. And there's just something about it that's reminiscent of those 90's Dic cartoons, and I love that.

Another point is facial expression. Edgeworth's facial expressions in the GK games (sprites by Tatsuro Iwamoto) are not as sharp as they were in the older games. I don't know what it is exactly, but his expressions just look weaker in general and they don't carry the same emotion to them as they used to. It just feels less expressive.

And don't get me wrong, I don't despise anime and Phoenix Wright was always anime in arstyle, but there's a sea out there of bland anime series and even those that were once good usually drag on to the point where they become irrelevant. Alot of those have some really template-cut character art and I feel that, of all the art-designers from the GS series, Tatsuro is the one who makes the most generic art. Or maybe "uninspired" is the word I need.

Again, just my opinion and you'll probably disagree. But this is not to be confused with what I think of the art in Dual Destinies, which by the way is done by "Fuse" I found out. I like the art-style in GS5 for everyone besides Phoenix and the only thing I don't like about Edgey is his low mouth but from what i've seen it's not even a problem in-game since they used the old sprites as templates.
Page 1 of 1 [ 30 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)