Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 9 of 22[ 866 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 22  Next

Re: What do you think of Dual Destinies?Topic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Thane wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Love Awkward Zombie but I agree it's not that bad. One or two Japanese-based towns that serve more as tourist attractions doesn't seem so bad to me.

Especially not when there are cities like that in real life.

One might as well wonder why 99% of the cast in Ace Attorney is not Asian.

The clincher is how "J-town" is a nickname for the Los Angeles specific Japantown area.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

ashxu wrote:
BonnyMono wrote:
ashxu wrote:
Summary of one of my biggest gripes in AA5
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f278/ ... 179cf7.png

That's like, translations in a nutshell. Not just AA5.

E.g
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 5j1h1n.jpg

Pokemon is the only other example I can think of that does this.

I couldn't find any good pictures, but Pokémon is definitely not alone.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

ashxu wrote:
Summary of one of my biggest gripes in AA5

Am I the only one getting more of a kick out of Tenma Taro being dressed up in street clothes? Now I really wish that had happened.

Also, that is one giant apartment building. It doesn't help that the Japanese term for big apartment buildings is "mansion". This is why he always has trouble paying the rent for his office.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I haven't been back at C-R, recently, for a couple of reasons (Finals at my university, working on a media project at the moment, the site not loading on my school's internet connection, etc.)

I'm currently on the third part of Case 2 of DD. I started case 1 back on Thanksgiving, but when I was playing I seemed to keep getting distracted by different things, so I restarted Case 1 one week ago. I'm proceeding more slowly than usual but each part has also been quite long as well, so I'm really happy I'm still only on case 2. I was really worried I was going to beat it in a week.

Keep in mind, I'm only in the middle of case 2, but so far I am LOVING it. So far it's exceeded my expectations. I'm noting some quick things down here, and I'll probably write a full "review" when I finish it. Spoilers for Case 1 and half of Case 2.

Spoiler:
*The 3D graphics (meaning the models, not the 3D screen) are fantastic! I'm don't think they're necessarily better than the sprites, (and I wouldn't ever ask for the sprites in the other games to be replaced) but I think they're as good as the sprites and there isn't any bad about them so far. The only thing I'd say is that completely new characters (Athena, Simon, etc.) look amazing and I don't give them a second thought but returning characters (so far Phoenix, Payne (kind of), Apollo, and Trucy look a little strange to me sometimes, but that's only because I just spent like 100 hours seeing the sprite versions of those characters over the last few months).

*The actual 3D effects are cool, although I'm a little disappointed that the frame rate drops ever so slightly when it's turned on. The actual effect looks so great that I won't turn it off though! The two issues where the 3D is a problem are cutscenes and investigation. The cutscenes usually look great in 3D, but occasionally there will be shots where the characters look like they're just simply on a flat layer above the ground. This probably can't be helped, but I don't remember it happening in Layton and the Miracle Mask. I could be mistaken though. I've only investigated 1 area (the Fox chamber) but I also had trouble seeing the cursor and the action when my 3DS was at the highest 3D setting. This is a problem Layton also had, but it was MUCH less extreme. Still, keeping in mind that any future consoles that will play DD probably won't be 3D, this is a problem that will disappear eventually.

*So far I really like the story. I'm really enjoying the cases and I'm not quite sure why everybody finds Case 2 so bad but I'm only on the second investigation so maybe something happens down the road. Case 1 was a great way to start the case. I think it's the first time where a case 1 that happens after one or more cases doesn't bother me (I felt it wasn't very helpful in JFA and AAI). The one thing I felt in case 1 was that I didn't feel like I was jumping into what happened after AJ, it felt really distant (this is what it is supposed to feel like, of course, so it's not a criticism). Then Case 2 started and it really does feel like Apollo Justice 2, as it has the same style and tone as that game did. Looking back, I really like how they used these two cases to first throw you into this new AA world where these characters have known eachother for 6 months, then take you back to where you were post-Turnabout Sucession. I really like the new characters as well, and Taka sitting on the judge's head is priceless.

*The localization feels just like the other games, to me (although I also didn't notice a real difference between AAI and the other games as well so keep that in mind) and all the characters sound like they should sound. When I heard certain characters overdue it with their character traits ("I'm Fine" and the magic panties) I got worried but it's still in the AJ area at the moment. When I was playing AJ I was surprised how much Apollo actually says I'm Fine in that game, so so far it hasn't been a problem.

*It might be just me, but court segments seem longer. This is good, as these segments always went really fast for me. I've also been stumped once or twice, although I figured it out in about 5 minutes (and the one time I needed to use a consultation was a certain part where Tonate said he clearly saw his ID. I automatically noticed the R was broken when I first saw the photo, and assumed everyone in the game did as well, so I couldn't find the contradiction until Athena pointed out the testimony. That's happened in the other games once or twice too, though). But I don't notice a big difficulty decrease from the other games. The consultation feature is a cool way to get a little hint as well.

*The only place that feels less than the other games is the investigation phase. The backgrounds are so cool, so it drives me crazy I can't examine them. I don't really like that it automatically jumps you from scene to scene, and I'm not big about the "go anywhere anytime" ability (in fact I actually still go from, say Wright Anything Agency to Yokai Lane to the Garden to the Foyer to the Chamber, even if I could just go straight to the chamber, just so I don't miss something and so I feel like the characters are really traveling in the world. I think a big part of why I love investigation segments as much as court is because of all the side conversations you can have, so that is disappointing.

As it stands right now, if I compare my experience with the other games' cases 1 and 2, then DD is already my second favorite game in the series after AJ. That will likely change when I look at the game as a whole though (I doubt it can beat out the original AA) or if somehow the quality drops. But I already like it more than the AAI games, JFA, and T&T, so I'd say DD has totally exceeded my expectations so far. I can't wait to play the rest!

I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Expert bluffer

I have an offering to the case of Phoenix Wright: Typo Attorney.

More here:
Spoiler:

As Robert Hughes said: "If only proofreading were 'any easy one'."
...Yeah, just a few cases. I need to find a screenshot of Trucy's most noticeable 'Dadddy'.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

Last edited by DragonCactus on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Apollon Flame

Who's Robert Hughes? If you're referring to one of Juniper's friends, it's actually Hugh O'Conner.
A King

in name

alone...

Expert bluffer

Scent wrote:
Who's Robert Hughes? If you're referring to one of Juniper's friends, it's actually Hugh O'Conner.

Nah, Robert Hughes works for a video game site and has a twitter. He had some fun at the expense of a few of these typos. I edited the post so you can see the shot where Athena says that line.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

Apollon Flame

DragonCactus wrote:
Scent wrote:

Nah, Robert Hughes works for a video game site and has a twitter. He had some fun at the expense of a few of these typos. I edited the post so you can see the shot where Athena says that line.

Oooooooooh, now I get it! *tips imaginary silk hat sideways like Trucy* :trucy:
A King

in name

alone...

Spoiler: Case 2
Just got inside Tenma Taro's chamber. That was some pretty creepy ambiance, with the "set" design and the audio. And finding that weird statue. I'm actually really enjoying this case. Like a lot. Like, better than T&T Case 2, AAI Case 2, and AAI2 Case 2. (AA Case 2 and JFA Case 2 are still better than this in my opinion and AJ case 2 us about the same.) I'm still surprised so many people dislike it. Is it the Yokai thing or is it the fact that they show L'Belle killing the guy? I'm going to assume it's the latter, as that did seem a little unnecessary.

I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Just got inside Tenma Taro's chamber. That was some pretty creepy ambiance, with the "set" design and the audio. And finding that weird statue. I'm actually really enjoying this case. Like a lot. Like, better than T&T Case 2, AAI Case 2, and AAI2 Case 2. (AA Case 2 and JFA Case 2 are still better than this in my opinion and AJ case 2 us about the same.) I'm still surprised so many people dislike it. Is it the Yokai thing or is it the fact that they show L'Belle killing the guy? I'm going to assume it's the latter, as that did seem a little unnecessary.

Pretty much. Japanifornia is a very strange place, filled with non-Asian people living in Japanese-like societies. It's like one giant weeaboo convention.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:

Pretty much. Japanifornia is a very strange place, filled with non-Asian people living in Japanese-like societies. It's like one giant weeaboo convention.

Best. Comparison. Ever.

Apollon Flame

Must we always focus on this downside of the series of an American society living in a Japanse environment?
A King

in name

alone...

Scent wrote:
Must we always focus on this downside of the series of an American society living in a Japanse environment?

Honestly, it has never really bothered me. I just find it odd that the people who are so against it think it's fine that 99% of the cast is non-Asian.

Thane wrote:
Scent wrote:

Honestly, it has never really bothered me. I just find it odd that the people who are so against it think it's fine that 99% of the cast is non-Asian.

It's never bothered me either. I mean, if someone had asked me before AA1 came out in the west if I'd prefer a total localization or a more authentic translation, I'm not sure what I'd say, but since it's been localized for 5 other games it wouldn't make any sense to suddenly place DD in Japan. Also, the Case 2 thing really doesn't bother me that much. It's really not the worst case of the series obviously being set in Japan - the manga has many more situations where that's apparent. We know that Japanifornia/Ace Attorney Los Angeles/Somewhere in California/Whatever has a strong Japanese influence, with Kurain Village, Hazakurain Temple, The Kitaki family, etc. I actually think Nine-Tails Vale is less out-of-place than Kurain, because it really looks like a place that really lives off of tourism. As for Temna Taro being imprisoned,
Spoiler:
many religions and spiritual groups do this kind of thing in real life, where a deity or event or something similar is said to appear or be somewhere or have taken place sometime that historically would have been different or out of palce. (Look at the upcoming Christmas holiday, which Christians celebrate as the day of Jesus' birth, even though the date of Christmas itself has changed throughout the years, with December 25 also being the winter solstice, and the believed date of Jesus' birth to be anywhere in the years of 7 to 2 B.C.). It's less meant to be "this really happened" and is more a way to get across a spiritual idea. My guess is a good amount of people in Nine-tails look at the chamber as more spiritual and less literal anyway. Probably the Temna Taro chamber is more of a metaphor for conquering your demons, and letting him out to battle Nine-Tails again is symbolic of that as well. And just like in real life, some might take something more literally, like Jinxie does.
So yeah, I think Case 2 actually isn't as hard to fit into Japanifornia as people make it out to be.

[Whip the cream!]

After the first case, my impressions are:

I'm not into Athena. Sometimes I'm feeling indifferent about her, sometimes annoyed.
The anime cutscene-thingies are making me cringe.
Things are running rather smoothly, though, I can't say I get bored or anything. Even though I find flaws, I look forward to seeing more of this whole rigmarole. And it's going to be fun to meet Fulbright and Simon, I'm rather curious about those fellows.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

After finishing it, I feel really lukewarm on Dual Destinies.

I could come up with a list of things that bug me, like Athena being an obnoxious character, or how I thought the villains' motives were poor. To save space, I'll just sum it up by saying that I was generally unimpressed with a lot of the new characters; as well as the cases. I thought the final villain in particular was a big letdown. I felt he lacked a compelling motive, and I really dislike what he is specifically.

Playing DD was like having a doughtnut from Tim Horton's. It was alright, nothing special, but it lacked that flavor that makes it memorable. That flavor that makes me want to replay my favorite cases like with AA1 and T&T.
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot

Apollon Flame

CyborgZeta wrote:
like Athena being an obnoxious character,

"Obnoxious"? Hmm...
obnoxious wrote:
1. archaic : exposed to something unpleasant or harmful —used with to
2. archaic : deserving of censure
3. odiously or disgustingly objectionable : highly offensive

What exactly do you mean by that?

CyborgZeta wrote:
or how I thought the villains' motives were poor.

Spoiler: Obvious DD Spoilers
Ted Tonate: he's a police department bombs expert. He used his position to disarm explosives and later sell them in the black market to make a lot of easy cash (seeing as how we all know officers get paid little to nothing even with positive evaluations from prosecutors). Candice Arms grabbed him red-handed, so under the pressure of the moment, he hit her. Hard. On the head. He let the moment take over him. That's all. He's a tutorial case culprit, he doesn't need to have a deep meaning. :yogi:

Florent L'Belle: the guy had serious dept problems and thought that stealing whatever treasure was inside the Tenma Taro chamber would help him (except the treasure was already robbed, many years ago). Why did he kill the village chief? He was one of the select few to know that there was actually a treasure inside the chamber, so if Florent had stolen the treasure and left the man alive, he would have been persecuted.

Aristotle Means: felt intimidated from the other professor, so in the spite of the moment, he murdered her. Other than that, see it from the metaphoric point of view: the end justifies the means won over the truth being above all, as in, the dark age spreading.

the Phantom: he's an international superspy, hiding his identity is a key factor, so when he found out a woman managed to find key traits to his voice, he decided to murder her because, y'know, if the government ever published that, his life would be in jeopardy. Of course, things got worse. He killed her, but her daughter damaged his hand and blood spilled on the moon stone. Sadly, he couldn't take the rock with him, so the only thing he could do was send the rock to space. Unfortunately, a couple of years later, the rock returns safe and sound and, this time, the one to kill was one Clay Terrans because he was carrying the stone. To summarize all of this: he kills because his identity was going to be revealed, and if that happened, the international governments and mafias would be on his tail.

CyborgZeta wrote:
I thought the final villain in particular was a big letdown. I felt he lacked a compelling motive, and I really dislike what he is specifically.

This is the AAI team we're talking about, they're known for making different big baddies: a senile old man that pleaded EXTRATERRITORIALRIGHTS!!! 'til the bitter end and...
Spoiler: GK2 Mega Spoilers
A tragic clown that planned the events of the entire game.

So of course they're going to make something different, they like touching politics and international subjects, like...
Spoiler: Even MORE GK2 Spoilers
How the Zeng-Fah president had an affair with an American and actually had a child whom he decided to visit, but sadly, ended up assassinated.

A King

in name

alone...

Scent wrote:
I don't think my choice of word was particularly strange, but I'll clarify. Basically, I think she's annoying. I don't want to say she's overbearing, but her personality didn't endear her to me. I won't call her a Mary Sue, but considering how almost everyone in the game likes her, I can see why someone might consider her one.

Spoiler: Spoilers?
1. A fair point. Though, I don't think being the first case is an excuse for an average villain. T&T and AJ had pretty good first cases that later got expanded on.

2. Right. His motive was pretty basic, but my favorite AA cases usually have the motive being a bit more "personal"; so to speak. The DLC case is a good example.

3. Same as above. Means murdered the teacher because she caught him/confronted him on his bribery. Spur of the moment. I get that it ties into the case, although my bias here might be how I was getting tired of the "THE ENDS JUSTIFIES THE MEANS" message that case kept hammering into me.

4. That's basically his job though. The killings probably weren't personal, and were just for the sake of achieving his objectives; although I can't help but wonder just HOW damaging a simple psych profile could've been. I just felt that, as a final villain, someone who was basically carrying out his job wasn't as satisfying as von Karma, Gant, or even Kristoph Gavin.

Scent wrote:
This is the AAI team we're talking about, they're known for making different big baddies: a senile old man that pleaded EXTRATERRITORIALRIGHTS!!! 'til the bitter end and...
Spoiler: GK2 Mega Spoilers
A tragic clown that planned the events of the entire game.

So of course they're going to make something different, they like touching politics and international subjects, like...
Spoiler: Even MORE GK2 Spoilers
How the Zeng-Fah president had an affair with an American and actually had a child whom he decided to visit, but sadly, ended up assassinated.
This is just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of the escalation the AAI team does with their writing.

Spoiler:
First, an international smuggling ring and now international space wars. With spies.

This just seems to be getting a little too far-fetched for a game about lawyers. I mean, even with the spirit channeling in the original games, it never went international like this.

Also, I partly blame Ghost Trick for feeling kind of "eh" about DD. I bought GT a few weeks after DD, and it was great. I guess I just really like Takumi's way of writing mysteries.
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot

Apollon Flame

CyborgZeta wrote:
Scent wrote:
I don't think my choice of word was particularly strange, but I'll clarify. Basically, I think she's annoying. I don't want to say she's overbearing, but her personality didn't endear her to me. I won't call her a Mary Sue, but considering how almost everyone in the game likes her, I can see why someone might consider her one.

You think she's annoying? Maybe the writers intended her to be like that, or maybe not. Point is: a character's a character, as in, he's supposed to be some way and react and behave to situations, people and the likes in certain ways. She's there to make Wright & Co. a lively and varied place: you have calm and cryptid Nick, hyper Apollo and now passionate Athena. Like Gross Law Offices: there's the useless fatfart, the spirit channeler, the dandy and the corrupt.

CyborgZeta wrote:
Spoiler: Spoilers?
1. A fair point. Though, I don't think being the first case is an excuse for an average villain. T&T and AJ had pretty good first cases that later got expanded on.

2. Right. His motive was pretty basic, but my favorite AA cases usually have the motive being a bit more "personal"; so to speak. The DLC case is a good example.

3. Same as above. Means murdered the teacher because she caught him/confronted him on his bribery. Spur of the moment. I get that it ties into the case, although my bias here might be how I was getting tired of the "THE ENDS JUSTIFIES THE MEANS" message that case kept hammering into me.

4. That's basically his job though. The killings probably weren't personal, and were just for the sake of achieving his objectives; although I can't help but wonder just HOW damaging a simple psych profile could've been. I just felt that, as a final villain, someone who was basically carrying out his job wasn't as satisfying as von Karma, Gant, or even Kristoph Gavin.

Spoiler: DD Spoilers
1. DD did the same in TaT and AJ: the final boss was related to the tutorial case, only that DD did it differently: the big baddie was related to the case right before the last one, I mean, you don't need to pace things from the get go, you can do it at different periods of time and space, there are actual guidelines for this and it's left to the writer(s)' discretion.

2. You said it, your favorite, but the writers intended to write something.

3. Writers intention.

4. Gant, von Karma and Gavin are extreme cases when compared to the Phantom. Damon did it all for putting a serial killer on death row, fame and power. Manfred did it for pride. Kristoph did it out of jealousy and the Phantom because he felt his identity was at risk, as in, his life was in danger.

I agree with you: broader plots such as international smuggling can get boring because they're big, but at least GK2 only used and ended up closing the plot with something bigger, but simpler. It's as is GK1 was meant to establish an universe for them to work on, which I pretty much think is why DD was made: to create and expand an universe and cast of characters.
A King

in name

alone...

I am so angry at the localizers right now.

First, typos and grammar

Second, "Ohgawara Space Center" in cutscenes.
Spoiler:
Third, Means's staff being there before the mock trial.

CyborgZeta wrote:
This just seems to be getting a little too far-fetched for a game about lawyers. I mean, even with the spirit channeling in the original games, it never went international like this.

I completely agree that Yamazaki has been missing a few crucial elements in his writings, but I have to wonder: is this series really just a game about lawyers, or is it something much more? Even if the actual application of these "darker" themes has been lackluster, at least it's moving on to a very different but nonetheless interesting concept. What should these characters do with such a corrupt judicial system, such that defense attorneys are always forced to face impossible odds? If they do try to reform it, how will it change and how effective will that effort for change be?

And yet, it brings up the question of the year: Just what do the plotholes left in GS4 have to do in this new direction? Will GS6 try to tie up another trilogy, or will it simply ignore GS4 as a standalone title? It's still possible to tie in the two, given that certain characters introduced in Apollo's game actually make a return. Still, I'm finding it hard to tie Apollo's background to international disputes... beside the obvious fan suggestion that Apollo's dad is actually a secret agent in Interpol, but that's just silly... right?

Sligneris wrote:
Spoiler:

Oh, come on, man. Don't blame the localizers for a programming bug. Blame the programmers.

Sligneris wrote:
Second, "Ohgawara Space Center" in cutscenes.
I already stated this earlier, but getting Studio BONES to redraw those cutscenes would've been pretty hard. They probably didn't have the budget for it, I think.
"If witches worship demons, does that make Wright the devil's advocate?" - Just some caption on PLvsAA.

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Sligneris wrote:
Spoiler:

Oh, come on, man. Don't blame the localizers for a programming bug. Blame the programmers.
*programmers of the localized version

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

Spoiler: Case 3
Speaking of the spear... Wouldn't it make sense if the spear/staff dropped with the body? (Unless means was there to pick it up and clean the rubble around the body.)

"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

BonnyMono wrote:
Spoiler: Case 3
Speaking of the spear... Wouldn't it make sense if the spear/staff dropped with the body? (Unless means was there to pick it up and clean the rubble around the body.)

Spoiler:
Yes, he was there. I doubt he'd pick anyone else to pull out a corpse from where the bust was supposed to be, lay her body at the center of the stage, and head back up to the art building to send a statue crashing down on Klavier's bust when he already set himself an alibi. If he had an accomplice, he'd likely have let that person take the fall. "By all means", remember?

I really, really liked it. True, it was a bit uneven in the plot and pacing department, but I was in tears at the finale, and it's just so nice to spend time with these characters again.

I like the new characters a lot, but I agree that Athena, and by extension Simon, are a bit too ubiquitous - the series has a huge and already beloved cast of characters, and cutting down on the focus the new faces got could have given us time to develop some of the established characters and tie some of the dangling threads left by AJ:AA. That said, I love the direction the series seems to be going in now, and I really like the development that Apollo got especially.

I just can't wait for GS6 now; at least PLvsPW:AA will be out soon to tide us over!

Ultimate Survivor

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
I completely agree that Yamazaki has been missing a few crucial elements in his writings, but I have to wonder: is this series really just a game about lawyers, or is it something much more? Even if the actual application of these "darker" themes has been lackluster, at least it's moving on to a very different but nonetheless interesting concept. What should these characters do with such a corrupt judicial system, such that defense attorneys are always forced to face impossible odds? If they do try to reform it, how will it change and how effective will that effort for change be?

The idea of expanding the universe - well, in the sense of making it more than "just" a game about lawyers - is interesting. They've kind of been doing that for a while now, actually. I know some folks aren't crazy about it, and I'd of course want the core series elements that we love to remain intact, but I'm all for taking it further if it's done well.

Most of my problems with DD's "darker" themes could have been eased with some subtlety in the writing. Seriously, just a touch of subtlety and a bit more showing rather than telling would have been nice in that regard. Well...at least the characters lampshaded the concept somewhat - "Dark age of the law? I'm so sick of hearing about that!", etc. THE ENDS JUSTIFY THE MEANS didn't bother me as much because I began to see it as more of a characterization thing for Means, so it kind of became...I dunno...funny to me. Haha.
Now, even if you apologize...I will not forgive you.

earthlings on fire

I'm on the second day of court in 5-2. These are my initial impressions of the game.

Spoiler: up to 5-2
5-1 was the same as any other intro case, really- short and to the point. But I found myself really bored by it and Athena's new technology seemed a bit forced and tacky to me. I like my Ace Attorney games to rely on good old fashioned thinking and examining evidence rather than gimmicks that have been cropping up more and more as the series goes on.

But it was just an intro case so I didn't really place too much stock in it. The graphics were solid and the music is very AJ-esque. I found myself wanting to play AJ as I went through the case.

I haven't been on this site since DD came out as I knew I wanted to wait until the semester ended before I started the game so I'm not really up on popular consensus. What little I've read, however, it seems that people don't like 5-2?

I'm mixed about it. On one hand, the visuals and music are very good for this case specifically! I really like the atmosphere and tone and I think it's solid as far as atmosphere goes. It's immersive enough on those fronts.

As for the Japanese themes being discordant, well, there wasn't much to be done about that and I think the whole 'tourism' idea works as well as anything could. I'm very gung-ho for Japanese themes in media; obviously if I wasn't I wouldn't watch so much stuff from Japan. But with Ace Attorney, I feel it does break the California canon a bit. If the English series started off being in Japan, I'd say shove as much culture in it as you please! But since we began with a rather American style I can see why people would be unhappy with this case for these cultural reasons. I understand why they're there and it's not really a problem for me. Apollo and Athena seem distanced enough from it all to keep it seemingly American.

What starts to become a problem though is how obvious some of the plot points are. I breezed through the first day of trial with literally no difficulty and no thought was required. The tube of hand cream on the floor of the Forbidden Chamber made me facepalm because since the opening animation already showed us who the murderer was, it was as unsubtle as unsubtle could get. Even when they subverted it a bit with Filch having been the one who dropped it (or at least that's what everyone's agreeing on at the point in the case where I am). Everything just seems really obvious. I hope things become more difficult as the game goes on.

Spoiler: Opinion on Athena so far
Initially I was like "lol carbon copy of all other female aides" but then I realized that many characters are carbon copies of other characters and that's not really a problem that started here in this game so I dropped that thought. I'm pretty happy with Athena! I like that she's a lawyer and can contribute more from that end of the spectrum. She appears to have a ~*~*~mysterious past that made her become a lawyer*~*~*~* like everyone else but I'll let that slide as I'm guessing that Blackquill is involved heavily in it so I'll hold out my opinion on that for now.

Spoiler: Opinion on Fulbright so far
Ehhhhhhhh.... I really hope there's actual depth to this guy? For a main character, he's got less depth than a sheet of paper. It'd work alright for a minor villain or a single-case defendant or whatever, but... Not looking good so far. He just seems to be really stupid.

Spoiler: Opinion on Apollo
I'm not sure what I was thinking when I played AJ but I was really neutral about Apollo. But I think he's excellent now! And he seems the same as he did before but whatever it is, I'm really liking him. If every other character is a bit unrealistic, Apollo is bang-on relatable.

Phoenix in that suit... When did he become hot??

As for the music... It's good, as I mentioned, and obviously I haven't heard all of it, but I hope it gets a little closer to the atmosphere I think the game is trying to achieve: dark. It's all a bit happy and AAI-esque. AJ had a brilliantly complementary score to its tone and I hope this game will achieve that in later cases.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Last edited by Cravat of Doom on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earthlings on fire

Double post D:
ImageImageImage

Gettin' Old!

Pfft something in your post is quite hilarious XD I think you'll be pleased with the rest of the game.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Apollon Flame

Pierre wrote:
Pfft something in your post is quite hilarious XD I think you'll be pleased with the rest of the game.

Hahaha! I concur, he needs to play the rest of the game. Also, if the opportunity rises, get the DLC case BEFORE playing the last case, it'll make much more sense.
A King

in name

alone...

I'm Kamen Mask!

AA5 is a mixed bag of "YES!" and "...awww"

I miss examining everything on every map and zooming in on evidence. I miss the gimmicks like the music in Apollo Justice Case 3. I really miss examining the Wright Everything Agency and the Detention Center guard.

But graphically it is gorgeous and expands the universe very well. The story is very VERY good and it undeniably has the BEST third case in the franchise. If not for 4-3 then I'd say the ONLY good third case. But seriously. Turnabout Academy is REALLY good.

I'm still letting the dust settle but I love it to bits and really want to play again soon.

Bayfield wrote:

I miss examining everything on every map and zooming in on evidence. I miss the gimmicks like the music in Apollo Justice Case 3. I really miss examining the Wright Everything Agency and the Detention Center guard.

But graphically it is gorgeous and expands the universe very well. The story is very VERY good and it undeniably has the BEST third case in the franchise. If not for 4-3 then I'd say the ONLY good third case. But seriously. Turnabout Academy is REALLY good.

I'm still letting the dust settle but I love it to bits and really want to play again soon.

I feel like I must ask, but why do you love the third case so much? It's good, don't get me wrong, but I found the friendship speeches insufferable and the ending to be highly anticlimatic, save for the revelation of Apollo's sexual preferences.

Apollon Flame

Thane wrote:
Bayfield wrote:

I feel like I must ask, but why do you love the third case so much? It's good, don't get me wrong, but I found the friendship speeches insufferable and the ending to be highly anticlimatic, save for the revelation of Apollo's sexual preferences.

Err... What? :eh?:
A King

in name

alone...

Apollon Flame

Thane wrote:
Bayfield wrote:

A King

in name

alone...

Scent wrote:
Thane wrote:
Bayfield wrote:

Here.

While the whole thing is pretty funny, it's an odd, highly questionable way to finish a trial.

Secretly a Nidoran

Welp... It might actually be my favourite of the series.
Heck, even some of the downs tend to be counterbalanced such as
No Gumshoe? Instead we get Fulbright... who's even better!
The whole thing is a lot more convenient (always hated saving in the other games due to it interrupting the music...).

As for Japanification? Honestly, I don't see it. With nine-tails vale, Apollo mentions right away that it was founded by Japanese Immigrants, so it kinda explains why it's so ... Japan.

I'm Kamen Mask!

Thane wrote:
Bayfield wrote:

Spoiler: 5-3
Well first you have to compare it to the OTHER third cases, so my bar was low. 4-3 is about the only third case in the franchise which actually factors in to the overall story of the game in question, so getting to play as Athena and get her development was wonderful and kept things fresh as we were still coming to know her and it felt like fresh new ground.

The threesome had really well crafted personalities to my eye and the spoilers regarding both Hugh and Robin caught me completely off-guard.

It had some fun with the Mock-Mock Trial which also brought Klavier in for a moment. It had a decent amount of investigation gameplay, such as building the statue, a really difficult to solve murder case (and for the first time in the franchise the CGs are not depicting things which really happened, which makes it harder to get ahead on) and even if the killer was the world's easiest to spot--- his breakdown was pretty much the best one in the 7 Years Later franchise. And it gave Simon his moment to save Athena, even if the translation of that scene is very mis-leading.

Also: "It's you people! Hahaha! In Justice we trust!"

My only disappointments are:

1. There was no gameplay gimmick using the recorded audio or video like there was in 1-5 and 4-3 which... well, sucks. Those were solid gameplay elements. I suppose that's why Dual Destinies is listed as a Visual Novel instead of a Video Game on Tropes.

2. Klavier and Phoenix were in the case together and the subject matter of the entire case was "The Ends Justify The Means!" and yet the subject of Phoenix handing a forged bloody ace to Apollo in his first trial never comes up. It actually upset me by the end that Phoenix was cleared of wrong-doing without ever acknowledging that he did to Apollo what Kristoph once did to him and all he got was punched for his trouble.

3. Juniper is a flat character and I still did not buy her love with Apollo. That should have been given a bigger focus if they wanted to push for it, or dropped all together to let Athena have a childhood friend character that can flesh her out without being pawned on Justice.

Bayfield wrote:
Spoiler: 5-3
Well first you have to compare it to the OTHER third cases, so my bar was low. 4-3 is about the only third case in the franchise which actually factors in to the overall story of the game in question, so getting to play as Athena and get her development was wonderful and kept things fresh as we were still coming to know her and it felt like fresh new ground.

The threesome had really well crafted personalities to my eye and the spoilers regarding both Hugh and Robin caught me completely off-guard.

It had some fun with the Mock-Mock Trial which also brought Klavier in for a moment. It had a decent amount of investigation gameplay, such as building the statue, a really difficult to solve murder case (and for the first time in the franchise the CGs are not depicting things which really happened, which makes it harder to get ahead on) and even if the killer was the world's easiest to spot--- his breakdown was pretty much the best one in the 7 Years Later franchise. And it gave Simon his moment to save Athena, even if the translation of that scene is very mis-leading.

Also: "It's you people! Hahaha! In Justice we trust!"

My only disappointments are:

1. There was no gameplay gimmick using the recorded audio or video like there was in 1-5 and 4-3 which... well, sucks. Those were solid gameplay elements. I suppose that's why Dual Destinies is listed as a Visual Novel instead of a Video Game on Tropes.

2. Klavier and Phoenix were in the case together and the subject matter of the entire case was "The Ends Justify The Means!" and yet the subject of Phoenix handing a forged bloody ace to Apollo in his first trial never comes up. It actually upset me by the end that Phoenix was cleared of wrong-doing without ever acknowledging that he did to Apollo what Kristoph once did to him and all he got was punched for his trouble.

3. Juniper is a flat character and I still did not buy her love with Apollo. That should have been given a bigger focus if they wanted to push for it, or dropped all together to let Athena have a childhood friend character that can flesh her out without being pawned on Justice.

Spoiler:
Fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Personally, I couldn't stand Hugh and having the theme of friendship shoved down my throat.

The mock mock trial was just unnecessary (and it makes me wonder why they even bothered giving Klavier sprites for standing in court), and the whole dressing up statues thingy was just retarded. Which is something one should expect in an Ace Attorney game, I'll admit, but this crossed the line of 'unlikely' to 'flat out impossible'. It didn't help that Means, while he had several hilarious lines, was a very boring villain.

Personally, I think Juniper was one of the highlights of the case. It showed us that there was more to that little sickly girl than what was initially shown. And while nothing will ever happen between Apollo and Juniper, I still love her knitting animation.

earthlings on fire

Scent wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Hahaha! I concur, he needs to play the rest of the game. Also, if the opportunity rises, get the DLC case BEFORE playing the last case, it'll make much more sense.

( "She" :basil: ) Ooh, I'm intrigued now.

And thanks for mentioning when to play the DLC! I was really, really curious about when to play it.
ImageImageImage
Page 9 of 22 [ 866 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 22  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)