Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 3 of 22[ 866 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next

Re: What do you think of Dual Destinies?Topic%20Title

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Thane wrote:
Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing Kristoph charming his way out of prison. Honestly, seeing him in the Wright Anything Agency all of a sudden with that grin on his face would be AMAZING. I mean, he screwed with three out of four people in the Agency pretty bad.

Durrhurr, as if he'd suddenly pop in and say hi. He should get de Killer to do the dirty work.
Spoiler: Though
whether or not he's actually a spy from a foreign organization is still out on the table. I suppose that way would tie GS4 and GS5 just right for GS6 and complete another trilogy.

Quote:
And while we're at it, we could give Klavier some emotions.

And make him less of a dick. He's reeeeeally gotten on my nerves lately.

...Wait, what if the Gavins only had one real son!? Brilliance has struck again! And then it becomes a mystery to guess which brother is the "real" one.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Really, my biggest problem with this game is the lack of focus on the motive for the murderers. I mean, after about 4 games worth of prosecutors getting obsessed with it as a last roadblock of sorts before the final nail is put through the killer's coffin, it's really disappointing to have motive be something of an afterthought.

This, I think, is more or less of a product of the AAI team taking over a mainline title whereas in that spinoff, more emphasis was placed upon solving the murder and investigating at the scene of the crime so that shift in focus felt more natural.
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Javadoze wrote:
Really, my biggest problem with this game is the lack of focus on the motive for the murderers. I mean, after about 4 games worth of prosecutors getting obsessed with it as a last roadblock of sorts before the final nail is put through the killer's coffin, it's really disappointing to have motive be something of an afterthought.

This, I think, is more or less of a product of the AAI team taking over a mainline title whereas in that spinoff, more emphasis was placed upon solving the murder and investigating at the scene of the crime so that shift in focus felt more natural.

Spot on, and I'd like to add that it was also annoying that again, like in AAI, the protagonists' focus is far too often about the howdunit and sometimes it's just waay too concentrated, which is annoying especially if you're expecting some silly lightheartedness and snappy jokes all the time, which DD definitely had less of than GS1-3.

But yeah, the lack of focus for motive is probably THE thing that makes me decide I still don't like DD on my top 3. The payoff just wasn't there and my urge to replay the cases just isn't there now that I know that the mysteries mostly turned out to be something lesser than their premise.

...which leads me to another point. If you've seen interviews with the story-director Takeshi Yamazaki, he's said in a lot of them, that he usually starts writing a scenario/case by thinking of a big impact or twist that sounds wild or intriguing (take "Victim killed by a monster!?" for example) but IMO that's something you have to be extra careful with because 1) you're on the verge of killing the player's suspense of disbelief and 2) You most likely end up with something lesser in the end than it seemed to be in the beginning, counterpoint to if you base a case on a small premise e.g. "victim was murdered in a hotel" but then the player uncovers mysteries about the victim's personal life, maybe a love-affair that lead to jealousy--> murder. It's just better when it's more down to earth and oftentimes I find it to be more meaningful in the end.

That's not to say the big mayhem-premises can't work because they certainly did work in DD... but they just often end up with you being slightly dissapointed because they require you to figure out a convoluted mess of a mystery leaving little room for focusing on the whydunit. That's all I'm saying. :shoe:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Jammin' like it's 2024

Minority opinion time!

Either DD is slightly worse than T&T or slightly better than it, and what will determine that is time and the DLC case. It's the #2 game in the series at a minimum and was absolutely fantastic throughout. I've seen 5-2 cited as the weak point in the game and whilst it is easily the worst case that doesn't mean much as it was still well above average across the board, even despite the fact that the killer is explicitly spoiled by the case intro. This game focuses very much on the how, not the who, and is better for it.

Dual Destinies' case and script quality is more consistently high, whilst T&T's high points are stronger than DD's. I find this particularly impressive as T&T had three games worth of leverage thrown into a giant payoff and wouldn't have been as good standalone.

Athena is about as much a Mary Sue as is my left nut - accusations about her character having too much focus in the plot are completely unjustified, especially after everyone complaining that Phoenix got way too much screen time in AJ and this crippled Apollo's characterization (a legit complaint). Athena had to be developed from scratch and this was handled appropriately - all the other protagonists, minor or otherwise, are returning characters and didn't need as much time. On top of all that she's massively less than perfect despite having won the genetic lottery, a fact I found very refreshing about her character.

Speaking of characterization, Apollo is handled far better this time around, although I never had a problem with his AJ characterization either - even so the jump in quality and character definition was obvious here. Absolutely everyone felt in-character whilst being obviously more mature and experienced (because of course this is The Future). Cameo appearances were handled well without feeling shoehorned in and characters didn't overstay their welcome. There are no bad new characters which is a major achievement and no character was useless to the plot - although I can understand people feeling that way because we're not used to characters having flyby roles in this series. All the villains were great especially the Big Bad. Blackquill is also an exceptionally strong new character and a great opponent.

On another note, the series actually seems to work better as a digital release in the West and I suspect Capcom are going to stick with this approach going forward. I have no issue with this at all. :)

This game, in general, seems to be an excellent jumping on point for the series as a whole, although we all know here that doing so diminishes the first four games I'm actually expecting a lot of people to start the series with DD and it thoroughly deserves this attention.

Now for spoiler views!

Spoiler: Don't read this if you haven't cleared 5-5 yet!
The Phantom's reveal is the best in the series, even if he isn't the best villain. I expect his plot will be considered resolved now and won't lead into anything else directly, but there's a ton of sequel hooks set up in this game and I'm very eager to see where they go.

I suspect that plot threads from AJ left dangling and the lack of Maya in-person in this game are because Takumi was not involved this time - it feels like they left these plot threads alone for Takumi to tackle in the way he originally intended and the AAI team really didn't want to screw up Maya (good move!!). In this context I'm fine with the lack of direct AJ references in DD, and the combined plot threads from AJ and DD give the inevitable AA6 a huge wealth of material as a jumping off point for something huge.

My only minor gripe is that the various investigation flavourings - Psyche Locks, Perceptions and the Mood Matrix - were left too easy this time around and need to scale more in difficulty in the next game. They didn't feel pointless but they were too easy to get past. Most of the investigation streamlining didn't bother me but this did, as it discourages serious consideration of the evidence on hand during the investigation phase. The ability to present character profiles as evidence also needs to make a return as the lack of that option has also gutted another major opportunity to properly analyse the scenario when playing. AJ suffered for its absence and so does DD - JFA and T&T both had very strong, deep court segments and the profile presentation option was why. DD does, however, cope a lot better with its absence than AJ as it actually accounts for the absence in the scenario design whilst AJ never really did. The lack of profile presentation isn't something you notice until the end credits this time.

Finally if Junie doesn't come back in AA6 I will be pissed, as for a minor recurring character she's phenomenal.

I really liked AJ but after this brilliant, brilliant entry in the series there's no doubt that Ace Attorney is here to stay for the long haul.
Does we even do these things anymore?

I think I'll just let the games ship for me from now on. Junie's crush on Apollo was pretty cute but I remember that the only two relationships I thought about were Maya and Nick (because to me it seemed obvious) and Apollo and Ema (for some reason) and now Apollo kinda has Juniper but there were also some dialogues where I thought it sounded like Athena was kinda digging him... Why do I feel like Apollo is getting closer and closer to becoming the typical harem-protagonist?

The truth will see you free~

I just finished playing a few hours ago and after a major Ace Attorney hangover, I finally have the chance to write a proper review.

I love the cutscenes, as corny and overdramatic as it may seem. It was like watching my favorite game turn into an anime I could watch on television only in 3D. Heck, I even liked the new voice actors because of it. For a text-heavy game, it's nice to just watch something for a few seconds instead of reading all those text.

The 3D feature of the DS really enhances the graphics too. Aside from the characters, the locations are more... real. You get to pan the camera at different angles and poke at a lot more places without having a hard time with the stylus. What I was disappointed at, though, was the lack of the "investigation" mini-games. I don't know about you guys but I had fun doing the fingerprint analysis in 1-5 and 4-2 and I wished we got to those on this game. But that's just a nitpick.

The theme transcends almost everything in the game. From the dialogue to the cases to the premise of what could lie next, there's always a sense of foreboding as you progress from one case to the next. Whether that could be annoying or interesting depends on the player.

When it comes to characterization, there's a slight improvement from the theme. I didn't find Athena a Mary-Sue though I was expecting her to be one. And I was happy that the cameos were kept short and concise. It led a perfect balance in a way where old fans get to see them but at the same time not outshine the newer characters for the plot. Like Junie. I'd love her to be a recurring character in the future game because she has so much potential to be MORE. And because I think she's so adorable.

Writing, however, may have taken a setback. There were times when I felt like they were being too formal. There were less jokes maybe due to the theme but it led to the lacking down-to-earth, funny aspect of the game. And there's the dragging testimonies. And there's also some weak, not bad, writing. But I easily dismissed those because in this way, it could work better as a stand-alone instead of being just a part of the series.

Over all, I give this 8.5 - 9/ 10 stars. :keiko:
Sig by joa_fan. ^_^

Breakdown

I quite enjoyed it, my only big gripe was
Spoiler: Spoilers for all 5 cases, DLC case, and T&T/AAI
..no female culprits. Woe are the days of Dhalia Hawthornes or Shi-nahs. Hope this doesn't become a new trend if the AAI team continues to head the series as it's the first one to not have at least one. Disappointed me and I felt like it lacked variety.

That aside, EXCELLENT use of the new 3D graphics, those camera angles and character models let them do things the sprites couldn't, and it added to that touch of realism with little details like folks in the gallery, or the zoom into the witness stand. Another great score for Iwadare also, man really has the series in his bloodstream. It felt great to return and I had quite a few crowning moments of nostalgia with the remixes, characters, and mechanics that came back from previous entries. I also literally couldn't put it down, it was great to have that sense of suspense hanging over me again. It's a great start, and now I currently look forward to Layton next year, with this being the refresher back into the courtoom I needed. :jake:

linkenski wrote:
Why do I feel like Apollo is getting closer and closer to becoming the typical harem-protagonist?

Because Japan loves their silly typical harem-protagonists. At least Apollo has some real character, unlike, say, Ichika "The Eternal Blank Slate" Orimura from Infinite Stratos.
"If witches worship demons, does that make Wright the devil's advocate?" - Just some caption on PLvsAA.

1000% Knight

linkenski wrote:
...which leads me to another point. If you've seen interviews with the story-director Takeshi Yamazaki, he's said in a lot of them, that he usually starts writing a scenario/case by thinking of a big impact or twist that sounds wild or intriguing (take "Victim killed by a monster!?" for example) but IMO that's something you have to be extra careful with because 1) you're on the verge of killing the player's suspense of disbelief and 2) You most likely end up with something lesser in the end than it seemed to be in the beginning, counterpoint to if you base a case on a small premise e.g. "victim was murdered in a hotel" but then the player uncovers mysteries about the victim's personal life, maybe a love-affair that lead to jealousy--> murder. It's just better when it's more down to earth and oftentimes I find it to be more meaningful in the end.

Actually, I think Yamazaki's method is the best way for making a mystery. I can understand why "The victim was killed by a monster!" would suspend someone's disbelief, but I don't see why "It looks like the victim was killed by a monster!" would do so*. Obviously having better motives is better, but I don't think it's usually a good idea to base a case around one, as among "means, motives, and opportunity," motive is the "weakest." In the case you described, it sounds more to me like a hard-boiled crime fiction story than an AA crime... "Murder in a hotel" also doesn't sounds like a very good "base" as compared to "Victim killed by a monster," since you can come up with the entire mystery based just upon the latter, whereas for the former you're going to need some more ideas in order to make it interesting.

*: I agree that that case ends up pushing a bit past suspension of disbelief, but not because of the premise.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Is it just me, or does Juniper feel like Iris with a personality?

Now that you mention it, yes actually a little bit. Also, doesn't she have that "sad" animation similar to Iris?

Story writer and music lover.

Just finished the game earlier this morning.

Spoiler: Because of stuff.
Really, though, "ridiculous" is the right word for this game. Although, it is the right word for this series, I suppose.

There were a lot of things I liked about this game, such as the character development. Also, as much as some of the twists seemed, again, ridiculous, I felt like most of them were done well. There are some that felt really weird to me and made me go "what the hell" at, such as the overall identity of the Phantom. I can't really put my finger on it, but the Phantom really felt awkward to me.

As for cases, I think that I really liked the first case, the second part of the second case, and the fourth case the best. I think that I would have liked the final case more if it weren't for how forced it felt it some times, but there were definitely interesting points in the case.

Gameplay was fine, but there are flaws. I was disappointed that I couldn't examine everything, only when it was required to do so. I mean, I have no problem with the "Notes" function (it's a good part for those who need to step in the right direction), but I should have some sort of freedom in the examination portion.

Also, the whole "figure everything out while cool music plays over" portion at the near end of each trials is a pretty cool concept. I just wish that it wasn't so easy. The whole game felt pretty easy, to be honest.

I don't know what else I really have to say about the game, so I guess I'll end it off here.

Overall, Dual Destinies really did some things I liked, and I hope that in the next game those things will be expanded upon. However, this game isn't perfect, and I think that the execution overall could have been done better. Not to say that this is a bad game, though; far from it. The game in my mind is still a good entry in the series, though nowhere near the same place as Trials and Tribulations.
--Millini (Official CR Rock Prince and Gavinism convert.)

I also have to say I consider DD to be a bit of a test or experiment for the AA team for them to see how well they could make a true-to-the-name Ace Attorney game since it's their first game that follows the formula of the main series unlike GK.

So I'm kinda hoping that this is the AAI and whatever GS6 will be it's gonna be like the GK2 of the new era, which means it's probably gonna end up being the best game ever if they manage to pull something like that off. GK2 really showed they had found some confidence in making their own unique Ace Attorney game and in some areas I felt Dual Destinies, while showing off new stuff, was still too much of a homage to the best cases in the original trilogy. I wish the team good luck to wherever their next endevours brings them. Hopefully it will be something that's downright incredible because with the new engine there's so much potential. :maya:

Thane wrote:

Now that you mention it, they are very alike. No wonder I loved Junie from the beginning. She reminded me too much of my favorite character from the original trilogy. :eh?:
Sig by joa_fan. ^_^

char13happy wrote:
Thane wrote:

Now that you mention it, they are very alike. No wonder I loved Junie from the beginning. She reminded me too much of my favorite character from the original trilogy. :eh?:

Your favorite "character"? *ahem* :yogi:

Ace GalPal :D

ya know. i was really pleased with the game honestly.
i adore the story. Simon is a GREAT proasacuter and i like that he is really a sweet heart under that bad baoy exterior

Siggy Made By Nadindi Avii Made By the Lovely Chloe

Wannabe Attorney

I think DD is setting up a lot of things for the future of the series.

We now have 3 Defense Attorneys with different styles and techniques and the possibility of a 4th.

We now have 4 "Heroic" Prosecutors each with a different attitude with the possibility of a 5th.

Court Room No. 4 can be rebuilt for Jury Trials.

Alternate Judges are also a marked possibility.
Spoiler:
Hakari Mikagami and Juniper Woods being the big ones.

There is a lot of potential if the series goes episodic and digital.

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

I was really pleased with Dual Destinies. I would've liked a bit more exploration into the motivations behind the final boss, and the lack of being able to examine anything is a bit of a disappointment, but besides that, it's wonderful. The backstory and character development of Athena and Blackquill is top notch, the game somehow managed to make Apollo into a likeable, relatable character with a personality of his own after being an almost entirely blank slate in AJ, and the dynamic between the three lawyers at the agency may very well surpass the dynamic between Phoenix and Maya in the original trilogy, which is saying a whole lot. The mysteries are all very intricate, the twists are even crazier than anything before, the minor characters are quirky without being too annoying, and all of the unique gameplay features for each lawyer are well done as well. I think T&T will remain my favorite, but DD could very easily surpass the original game and take the #2 spot. I would like to replay the game at least once before making that decision, however.

Really liked it, though. I think it'll definitely be up there when it comes time to decide my GoTY.
"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

linkenski wrote:
char13happy wrote:
Thane wrote:

Your favorite "character"? *ahem* :yogi:

Yep. I could see why Iris can fall flat or bland to most gamers. Iris's character stood out to me due to my, uh, excessive exposure to anime, I guess. She was molded somewhat a Nadeshiko-like character. Shy, cute, kind and very polite. I'm usually drawn to those kind of characters in anime (Think Hinata in Naruto and Tomoyo in Cardcaptor Sakura).

Though Iris's good points are debatable, she certainly is a character. With her own personality.
Sig by joa_fan. ^_^

Achtung,baby~!

Solid entry in the AA franchise.
Main issues are that the game suffers from unnecessary dragging akin to AAI-5 which made me lose interest while playing and the writing was too,uh,how should I say it?It lacked realism.I couldn't take the game seriously besides the first part of case
Spoiler:
and the end of case
Spoiler:
What I mean to say is that it wasn't the themes and concepts that stroke me as being too unrealistic,but the writing itself.
Final main issue is that there are too many gimmicks.
This game was less about logic and more about finding the truth thanks to our cool unique special ultra awesome one-of-a-kind protagonist trump cards which also didn't help the sense of realism.
It was fine when it was just the Magatama in the original series,but now we have THREE gimmicks,2 of which are genetic gifts.
It's not about finding holes in logic anymore,it's more about...playing games with these genetic gifts and tricks that the protagonists have.I felt like there was too much reliance on special abilities in this game.
Well I dunno how to explain it right now(haven't slept properly in 3 days) but I guess you can understand what I'm saying.
Also,the fact that you can't fail these gimmicks doesn't help,either.
Takes away the pressure from an already easy game.

Some other issues....Blackquill.Yeah I seem to be in the minority here,but I'd say he's the worst rival besides Franziska.
The guy acted like he was THE SHIT,when really he was just plain ol' shit.
Spoiler: Not really spoiler but whatever
"Power of suggestion"You mean playing mind tricks with the people who are present in the courtroom like all of the other prosecutors did?

Yeah real special.
We already had a badass prosecutor,his name is Godot.You could learn a thing or two from him,Simon.
Good soundtrack,not enough of Announce the Truth 2013 which is one of the best tracks in AA.

Wait what,people are saying case 3 is the best case ever?Nonesense lol
3-5 still takes the cake,easy.1-5 is way better than 5-3 and now that I think back about it,I also enjoyed 5-4/5-5 more.

Wait I had something good to say...shit I lost it.
Anyway despite all of it's flaws it's a really solid game and cases 3-4-5 are really fun.
Phoenix was handled nicely outside of court,but
Spoiler:
in court he was T&T Phoenix which was kinda disappointing because it's been 8 years since Bridge to the Turnabout.

Apollo was kool beanz
And Athena was alright,didn't have any problems with her personality.Wouldn't consider her a mary sue,either.
Another thing that bothered me was:
Quote:
They talk about 'the dark age of law' as if it were some kind of hit movie you've never seen; everyone casually references it and you have no idea what they're talking about.

Oh and
Spoiler:
thought route
is AWESOME
Yeah it's mad easy but it's still a really cool addition.

Anyway I could keep ranting on and on about the many things that bothered me but in spite of that I can say that it was still an enjoyable game.Didn't feel short,either.
Peace.

Gettin' Old!

> Gets an Ace Attorney for extreme over-the-top Courtroom Hijinks

> Sees complaints about a lack of 'realism'

XP I'm baffled.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The video game boy; the one who wins

"See, that's what you get when you flash a girl like that. Even if it's just your badge."
Ahaha, but remember what has been said about those 'badges'... :apollo:
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Achtung,baby~!

Again,it's not the themes and concepts,it's the writing itself that lacks in realism.
Meaning that the way the characters speak and react feels too unrealistic.
Also,I'll say this again - too many types of special abilities.You got Kurain,you got special hearing,you got special eye sight...it was just too much.There was also too much reliance on said gimmicks and not nearly as enough focus on actual logic.
This is the reason why,for example, 3-5 feels more realistic than 5-2,despite the fact that 3-5 is the technically less realistic one.

Apollo's got "Guitar's serenade" as a ringtone? TOO. DAMN. CHARMING.

Jonathan wrote:
Again,it's not the themes and concepts,it's the writing itself that lacks in realism.
Meaning that the way the characters speak and react feels too unrealistic.
Also,I'll say this again - too many types of special abilities.You got Kurain,you got special hearing,you got special eye sight...it was just too much.There was also too much reliance on said gimmicks and not nearly as enough focus on actual logic.
This is the reason why,for example, 3-5 feels more realistic than 5-2,despite the fact that 3-5 is the technically less realistic one.

...the way the characters talk is unrealistic? As in what? The amount of cheesiness and over the top yelling? Not like that was ever in an Ace Attorney game.

I personally like the "gimmicks" as you put it; it makes each lawyer feel unique as opposed to playing different sections with the same person and doing things the same way. Each person has a different approach to solving a various problem, and pretty much every "gimmick" requires logical thought...so I'd argue this is about as unfounded a claim as any.

Once again, if you're shooting for realism in a series where prosecutors are allowed to repeatedly physically and verbally abuse the judge and defense, and where the main protagonist has survived being electrocuted, falling into a river notorious for washing victims away, and only coming away with a sprained ankle after being hit by a car, then you're in the wrong place. Giving each lawyer a unique trait that helps distinguish them doesn't make a case any less realistic than a case based entirely around a murder planned by channeling dead people and a coffee addicted prosecutor stepping in to stop it with a sword/staff. 5-2 is arguably fairly realistic by Ace Attorney standards; I won't go into spoiler detail, but the amount of suspension of disbelief required to accept the story for that is much, much less than the majority of other cases (particularly Guitar's Serenade, in which a little boy supposedly had the ability to fire a gun that would dislocate his shoulder, undo the air vent, escape into the air vent, and replace the grating, all within the span of half a minute or so).

Achtung,baby~!

I don't get it,what was the point of that lecture?Are you trying to explain why the way I felt was wrong?
As I was playing,I felt the game lacked in realism,that's a fact.If you don't think it's any less realistic than the other games in the franchise then good for you.
Not to mention you brought up completely irrelevant things.I just said that the problem wasn't the concept and themes but rather the way the characters spoke and reacted to certain things("the writing" aka the text)and yet you bring up concepts such as how a"person survived falling into a river notorious for washing victims away".
4-3 was a god awful case,yeah.How does that contradict what I said?Did I say that I think 4-3 is more realistic than DD?No.

Jonathan wrote:
I don't get it,what was the point of that lecture?Are you trying to explain why the way I felt was wrong?
As I was playing,I felt the game lacked in realism,that's a fact.If you don't think it's any less realistic than the other games in the franchise then good for you.
Not to mention you brought up completely irrelevant things.I just said that the problem wasn't the concept and themes but rather the way the characters spoke and reacted to certain things("the writing" aka the text)and yet you bring up concepts such as how a"person survived falling into a river notorious for washing victims away".
4-3 was a god awful case,yeah.How does that contradict what I said?Did I say that I think 4-3 is more realistic than DD?No.

In a nutshell, I was arguing that your points are unfounded while asking for a bit more explanation as to why you felt that way at points. I am genuinely curious to the reasoning behind your feelings.

You say that you felt the game was unfounded, and I don't debate this. My first point is that in a series that essentially thrives off being unrealistic, claiming that there are "too many unrealistic abilities" for a game in said series is hardly even a valid complaint. What about these abilities makes them so much more unrealistic? Or is it just the sheer number of them?

I referenced 4-3 simply because it has a much greater number of "unrealistic abilities" than DD, or more specifically, the case you referenced, 5-2. I could have picked pretty much any case in the Ace Attorney series and substituted it in here. Why do the abilities in 5-2 suddenly become "too unrealistic" as opposed to before? That's my question.

As for the writing, I addressed that separately (you did mention both the writing and the abilities, if you'll refer to the post I quoted) with a question. Since you never responded to this question, I'll ask it again: What specifically about the writing makes it unrealistic? Is it the characters? The plot twists of the story? The dynamic between the various protagonists? What exactly is so unrealistic in the writing?

I'm not attempting to lecture here, just simply posing an argument as to why I believe making the claim that "Dual Destinies is far more unrealistic than other Ace Attorney games" is on one hard, hardly a valid complaint, and on the other, it isn't any more unrealistic than titles preceding it. That's all I'm doing. Friendly debate n' such.

If you don't want to engage in said friendly debate, then I won't bring it up again.

It's not a stepladder, it's a ladder!

Completed the game this morning, I really enjoyed it. It really made me laugh in places and the voices aren't bad either. The only thing I'm abit disappointed about is that you can't examine EVERYTHING anymore which meant no more Ladder vs Stepladder gags. (My favourite running gag :sadshoe: . ) This game kept me guessing too.

Spoiler:
For a while I suspected Aura to be the Phantom but when Phoenix freaked out like that I was like: "Oh cripe! the Detective!" also I lol'd so hard when Phoenix said "Oh Fuuuuuuuuuuuudge!" It was nice to see Pearls again hopefully in the next game Maya will come back. I miss her.

Oh and by the way....I'm OFFICIALLY shipping Apollo with Athena now! :apollo:

Ladders wrote:
Completed the game this morning, I really enjoyed it. It really made me laugh in places and the voices aren't bad either. The only thing I'm abit disappointed about is that you can't examine EVERYTHING anymore which meant no more Ladder vs Stepladder gags. (My favourite running gag :sadshoe: . ) This game kept me guessing too.

Spoiler:
For a while I suspected Aura to be the Phantom but when Phoenix freaked out like that I was like: "Oh cripe! the Detective!" also I lol'd so hard when Phoenix said "Oh Fuuuuuuuuuuuudge!" It was nice to see Pearls again hopefully in the next game Maya will come back. I miss her.

Oh and by the way....I'm OFFICIALLY shipping Apollo with Athena now! :apollo:

Spoiler:

Also there was a stepladder/ladder reference in there...play through Case 2 again, if you get the chance. Finding it should be pretty easy though, since you're only limited to a few areas to investigate.

Last edited by TheBlarghMan on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

^ Whoa, ho. Tag your spoilers, even if it's not obvious. This thread isn't marked for spoilers, guys.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Wotter boy

Ladders wrote:
The only thing I'm abit disappointed about is that you can't examine EVERYTHING anymore which meant no more Ladder vs Stepladder gags. (My favourite running gag :sadshoe: . )

I read somewhere that there IS a ladder vs. stepladder somewhere though

EDIT: Found it:
http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/Ladde ... _Destinies

TheBlarghMan wrote:
Spoiler:

That picture basically sums up Dual Destinies's flaws in one picture.

SHIPPING CYKEQUILL

I'm almost through with Case 5, but I guess I just wanted to throw out some random thoughts.

Spoiler:
Apollo really stood out in this game for me. I was kind of apathetic about him after GS4 since they never really gave him much of a personality in the game, but I really think Case 4 and Case 5 should down as his 'breakthrough performance' in the series. I really hope GS6 focuses more on him, especially since he was basically the scene stealer in this game. Also, he seems to be turning into quite the ladies man in the series. Both Juniper and Athena seem to be into him, hell I even thought that Aura was flirting with him until the game all but stated she was a lesbian.

I guess with Athena as the real 'star' of the game, it makes sense why the game never mentions Apollo's and Trucy's relationship. Thus, it makes sense why Trucy's appearances weren't important. She was a background character, but I can't really think of any way she could have been made relevant to the story, but I'm glad they didn't just forget about her completely. Hopefully GS6 will go back to finishing up her story with Apollo.

As far as Athena herself, I'm pretty much apathetic towards her. I wouldn't quite label her as a "Mary Sue", but there was something about her that still annoyed me. I hope her appearance in GS6 isn't that big though, as I really hope GS6 goes back to focusing on Apollo and Trucy. If she has about the same background role in GS6 that Trucy has in this game, I won't complain.

I feel like this game did damage to Klavier Gavin though. He came off as completely unlikeable during Case 3 (far more unlikeable than he was in GS4). I don't understand why he still "picks on" Apollo, especially since Apollo has already defeated him three times in court. You would think that Klavier would show "Herr Forehead" a teensy bit of respect now, but he still treats him like a second-rate lawyer. If he appears in GS6, I hope he's able to redeem himself.

I know the court battles and investigation phases are longer now, but couldn't at last ONE case actually go three days? I mean, I guess technically cases 4 and 5 did, since they were basically all the same case, but it seems odd that cases typically never went farther than two days.

I assume the Jurist System was simply just a test case in order to finally get Kristoph convicted and nothing more. I'm also convinced that Edgeworth was the one who helped give Phoenix complete control over said case (I mean, how else would a disbarred, disgraced lawyer get complete control over an entire case?), and thus Phoenix returned the favor by helping Edgeworth clear Blackquill's name. That's my theory.

I still think not including Maya was a slap in the face to all the fans who were anticipating her return. I suppose seeing teenage Pearl was a nice consolation, but it would have been better if she had actually contributed to anything. I guess maybe that's reason for Maya's absence though, they just couldn't find room for her in the story and didn't want to waste her re-appearance on a small cameo.

I'm kind of disappointed that the localization team didn't take better advantage of the M-Rating in terms of the language. I mean, I'm not saying I wanted every character to spout out the F-bomb every line, but they clearly had some breathing room with the game's rating, and some harsher language would have fit at certain parts of the game, especially the last two cases.

That's just what I had on my mind for now. I'll probably have more to say once I finish the game.

Well even though the game breaking my heart slowly and painfully, it's had a couple of pretty funny moments so far

Spoiler:
This made me laugh so hard I had to close the game because I was on the bus

And this with no context is hilarious

Oh and Bobby's sad face is the cutest fucking thing next to Polly's big smile.
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

Image And that smile is so stupid it's cute.

It's not a stepladder, it's a ladder!

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
Ladders wrote:
The only thing I'm abit disappointed about is that you can't examine EVERYTHING anymore which meant no more Ladder vs Stepladder gags. (My favourite running gag :sadshoe: . )

I read somewhere that there IS a ladder vs. stepladder somewhere though

EDIT: Found it:
http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/Ladde ... _Destinies

Oh really? Guess I must've missed it somehow lol. I'll keep an eye out next time.

I say its a ladder.

TheBlarghMan wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

In a nutshell, I was arguing that your points are unfounded while asking for a bit more explanation as to why you felt that way at points. I am genuinely curious to the reasoning behind your feelings.

You say that you felt the game was unfounded, and I don't debate this. My first point is that in a series that essentially thrives off being unrealistic, claiming that there are "too many unrealistic abilities" for a game in said series is hardly even a valid complaint. What about these abilities makes them so much more unrealistic? Or is it just the sheer number of them?

I referenced 4-3 simply because it has a much greater number of "unrealistic abilities" than DD, or more specifically, the case you referenced, 5-2. I could have picked pretty much any case in the Ace Attorney series and substituted it in here. Why do the abilities in 5-2 suddenly become "too unrealistic" as opposed to before? That's my question.

As for the writing, I addressed that separately (you did mention both the writing and the abilities, if you'll refer to the post I quoted) with a question. Since you never responded to this question, I'll ask it again: What specifically about the writing makes it unrealistic? Is it the characters? The plot twists of the story? The dynamic between the various protagonists? What exactly is so unrealistic in the writing?

I'm not attempting to lecture here, just simply posing an argument as to why I believe making the claim that "Dual Destinies is far more unrealistic than other Ace Attorney games" is on one hard, hardly a valid complaint, and on the other, it isn't any more unrealistic than titles preceding it. That's all I'm doing. Friendly debate n' such.

If you don't want to engage in said friendly debate, then I won't bring it up again.

I think you might be missing his point though. He's saying the writing is unrealistic because of the way it is when you use the Bracelet or the Mood Matrix and that when you have more than just one of these magical gimmicks the suspension of disbelief is harder to hold on to. Think about the fact that whenever you point out a contradicting emotion with the Mood Matrix the characters always use these blatant ways of explaining the contradiction, such as "We sensed joy but that contradicts what you should've felt". First of all, the game lacked a moment where they properly explained how the Mood Matrix ended up being accepted in the court and second of all the writing is terrible whenever you use the magical systems.

You were trying to argue that it doesn't make sense to call this unrealistic when AA is a series based on unrealistic over-the-top courtroom drama moments, but think back to the earlier games. There was a certain borderline for what was far-fetched and what wasn't, and for each game it might've been crossed a tiny bit but ever since AJ and DD that borderline has been crossed by several miles now that there's just actual magic (percieve) and Mood Matrix (hearing? wtf?). They basically just took the concept and went with it, with very little care for what has been established in the AA universe as being realistic and what isn't. It's okay, and it works but it's hard to believe in because it's so much more "far-fetched" on top of what is already far-fetched. /ramble

But anyway, since he mentioned writing, I have to admit that this wasn't my biggest concern that the writing was too focused on unrealisitc stuff. No, my problem is excellently pointed out in a review I just found.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/30/ace-attorney-dual-destinies-justice-trust/

Really, I've tried to put my finger on why I dislike the new writing staff and I had almost given up at this point because I usually end up grasping at the wrong points and people call me out for being nostalgia-blinded or hypocritical. No, really, read this review of the game. It points out that at too many times the characterization for any of the visible characters is dropped for the sake of having them become "the mouthpiece" of the author. This is why I keep rambling on about Takumi vs. Yamazaki. Sometimes the new guy seems to have written himself so much into a corner or maybe he can barely make his point so he makes the characters directly explain his points and in the end the writing just loses all of its flavor and is devoid of any kind of characterization.

Dual Destinies was a definite improvement, but in AAI the game was ruined by this and it was also way too evident in Dual Destinies at a lot of point. It's kind of how it is in most of Kojima's games when you get these "history-interrupts" and a character explains a backstory as elaborate as possible, but at the same time Kojima completely forgets that the over-exposition doesn't suit the tone of the story, that the player might get lost in the over-informative writing and that it doesn't fit the character to be explaining the issue as if he was Kojima himself.

Again, check the link as I'm terrible at wording this properly but the fact of the matter is, the story is bottlenecked by the fact that the writing is far too forgetful of characterization in favor of portraying the author's direct line of thought. In any Takumi-written game I've played even the most plot-devicey characters have their own unique behavior and even if they're making a point across they do it in their own manner, and are not directly quoting Takumi's logical, rational explanation. In court it works but during investigations it becomes a chore.

TL;DR: Don't read my ramblings, read the link.

Urgh, I fucking hate Phineas Filch. And I hate that his name sounds so much like Phineas Flynn (Phineas & Ferb). It's a disgrace, really.
Page 3 of 22 [ 866 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)