Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 1[ 10 posts ]

So how long until we know if this did "well" or notTopic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

So Dual Destinies has been released. It's only been out for two days, so I probably shouldn't even be thinking about this right now, but I haven't bought it yet and I found myself wondering about this yesterday.

How long until we know if this did "well" in Capcom's eyes? Will we ever?

Back when Sven was still at Capcom, we got some-what regular updates about the state of the franchise, so we always knew where things were. If I remember correctly, Sven said that there were "aggressive" sales estimates for GS5, and that's what got it brought over here. I think his info is where most of us got the idea that the future of the series was hinged on sales of DD.

Since Sven has left, we haven't gotten that "inside information". All we've gotten are "official" statements that just restate the PR stuff, so I'm not convinced that they're going to be as open about sales as Sven was. With that in mind, I wonder how long it will be before we know if it did well enough for Capcom. I'm not feeling too optimistic, to be honest, but I'm hoping that Capcom took the digital only and limited marketing into consideration with their sales figures and that it does "well" enough for them to localize future games.

I also think it might be possible that PLvsPW:AA might help us, because no matter how that sells, Capcom might bring over the next GS/GK game based on interest for that, the same way that (i believe) JFA, T&T, and AJ were localized just based on the sales of GS1. So maybe something good will come out of that.

Anyway, this is just what I've been preoccupied with today. Chances are I will forget about this stuff when I get GS5 and won't worry about the franchise's future until after I complete the game. Still, I wish would have some indication about the future of the series in the west that would be earlier than getting the bad news when/if GS6 is announced in a couple of years.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
Re: So how long until we know if this did "well" or notTopic%20Title

Legal Aid

Yeah I don't think they mentioned sales wise how many units they expect Duel Destines to sell online I am hoping that this does well enough that they will consider bringing over AAI2 but I am not really positive at this point.

Now I just think we are lucky enough to get the newest version of Ace Attorney at all and that is pretty sad. :sadshoe:

Even with all that I still bought a copy of it online it is a pretty great game I think that they did an excellent job on it.

The Law 'Shark'

From what I read on Capcoms forum, it's at the very least become the weeks #1 selling eshop game - outselling Pokemon {in any regard} is a pretty big achievement for it's first week of release considering the game wasn't one of Capcoms most trusty go-to brands.

Go Nick! :phoenix:
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Sebastian Stark wrote:
From what I read on Capcoms forum, it's at the very least become the weeks #1 selling eshop game - outselling Pokemon {in any regard} is a pretty big achievement for it's first week of release considering the game wasn't one of Capcoms most trusty go-to brands.

Go Nick! :phoenix:

WOW I can't believe that! That's pretty cool!
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

The Law 'Shark'

If that isn't leading to strong sales for the franchises 5th title, I don't know what is...the notion of an attorney-focused game ever beating out one of Nintendos most anticipated titles in it's most beloved franchise would have been HILARIOUSLY ridiculous to many of us a few weeks ago - and now that it's a reality, there's no way that Capcom can ignore the fact that the series can potentially be just as widely enjoyed as any of their other titles...

So let's just hope that this leads to a little more faith from them in future!
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Sebastian Stark wrote:
If that isn't leading to strong sales for the franchises 5th title, I don't know what is...the notion of an attorney-focused game ever beating out one of Nintendos most anticipated titles in it's most beloved franchise would have been HILARIOUSLY ridiculous to many of us a few weeks ago - and now that it's a reality, there's no way that Capcom can ignore the fact that the series can potentially be just as widely enjoyed as any of their other titles...

While I'm guessing most of Pokemon's sales come from Physical, the fact that DD is still in front of it is indeed amazing. I feel much better now. If this lasts for a while I'd imagine the franchise could pick up steam again.

Sebastian Stark wrote:

Honestly, I don't know how I feel about the series becoming so popular. While is crystal clear that Capcom wouldn't bother to localize AA anymore if it wasn't a success, I think the story's quality is prone to fall dramatically with such popularization. Of course, I'm happy about the sales, but there's always the other side of the coin. I know I may be sounding pessimistic here but I've already experienced many situations which popularization ruined the essence and quality of a franchise.

dangerousoffender wrote:
Sebastian Stark wrote:

Honestly, I don't know how I feel about the series becoming so popular. While is crystal clear that Capcom wouldn't bother to localize AA anymore if it wasn't a success, I think the story's quality is prone to fall dramatically with such popularization. Of course, I'm happy about the sales, but there's always the other side of the coin. I know I may be sounding pessimistic here but I've already experienced many situations which popularization ruined the essence and quality of a franchise.

It always was very popular in Japan (and that is what counts anyways) and that never had any influence on the quality.

(ace attorney gremlin mode activated)

I would be incredibly interested to hear about the sales figures for this game. I'd like to see how their marketing strategy panned out, and I'm wondering if they reached any new markets with this game's release. It's easy to bring back the old fans, but I wonder just how they brought in new players. However, Capcom was smart to re-release the first 3 games on iOS, as well as reprint the first 4 games for the DS at a very affordable price 1-2 years before Dual Destinies' release. It allowed them to attract new players, who would be much more interested in buying AA5. Though, would the typical iOS user have a 3DS? Probably not...
My (not spoiler-free) Ace Attorney doodle blog

Addikt wrote:
I would be incredibly interested to hear about the sales figures for this game. I'd like to see how their marketing strategy panned out, and I'm wondering if they reached any new markets with this game's release. It's easy to bring back the old fans, but I wonder just how they brought in new players. However, Capcom was smart to re-release the first 3 games on iOS, as well as reprint the first 4 games for the DS at a very affordable price 1-2 years before Dual Destinies' release. It allowed them to attract new players, who would be much more interested in buying AA5. Though, would the typical iOS user have a 3DS? Probably not...

Actually, iOS devices are massively popular, (in my area like 9 out of ten people have iPhones) so I bet a lot of 3DS owners have them as well, meaning the iOS port was great advertising.

I did hear of many people who had never heard of the series got hooked on it through the iOS port and that convinced them to buy DD, so I'd say that worked out.
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)