Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 1[ 35 posts ]

I don't get this "Dark age of the Law" stuff (spoilers)Topic%20Title

Surf's Up!

Spoiler:
So, apparently the "Dark Age of Law" started because Blackquill killed somebody. But in the original trilogy, two of the prosecutors (Manfred and Godot) were found to be murderers and nothing like this happened. So what is the difference in this case, exactly?
Re: I don't get this "Dark age of the Law" stuff (spoilers)Topic%20Title

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Spoiler:
So, apparently the "Dark Age of Law" started because Blackquill killed somebody. But in the original trilogy, two of the prosecutors (Manfred and Godot) were found to be murderers and nothing like this happened. So what is the difference in this case, exactly?

Spoiler:
This guy is British.

No but seriously, I agree with you and I found that weird as well. You don't actually see much of this so-called 'dark age', with the exception of case three.

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

I think the idea behind it is that...

Spoiler:
...it was a one two punch between Phoenix Wright, who had previously been viewed as the completely perfect embodiment of what the law should be, suddenly being disbarred due to forgery, and Blackquill essentially being the final push needed to knock off any faith the people had in the prosecutor's office. With the poster boy for the right way of practicing law being knocked out for forging evidence, and prosecutors on three separate occasions being convicted of murder, attorneys and prosecutors started to get the sense that there was no one out there who played by the rules anymore, and thus, they began to justify cheating, since everyone else was doing it. An increase in cheating led to more forged evidence, more false charges, more incorrect rulings, and less faith in the court system, and eventually those stupid plushies in 5-1 trying to stop people from forging evidence and bringing in wrongful accusations.

It's not so much that those two events caused the supposed Dark Age of the Law on their own, but they were the final two shoves to send the law spiraling downward.

...but yes, I agree, the game did a really poor job of explaining on that point. Which is why we need that animated Ace Attorney series set inbetween Phoenix's disbarment and Apollo Justice to flesh things out more.
"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

Master of sharp things!

I think it was explained in case 4. To summarize:

Spoiler:
Eight years prior, Phoenix, the trusted defense attorney, was caught using false evidence in court and disbarred. A year later, prosecutor Simon Blackquill was found guilty of murder and imprisoned. These two events caused the public to distrust both prosecutors and defense attorneys. Thus, the "Dark Age of the Law" is the very low opinion of justice in the eyes of the public in the last eight years.

I wouldn't say it was poorly explained exactly, but rather open to interpretation. Are the evil deeds of von Karma, Godot and the like included in that perception as well? It isn't touched upon, but we could easily assume so.

The cape is self-fluttering

TheBlarghMan wrote:
I think the idea behind it is that...

Spoiler:
...it was a one two punch between Phoenix Wright, who had previously been viewed as the completely perfect embodiment of what the law should be, suddenly being disbarred due to forgery, and Blackquill essentially being the final push needed to knock off any faith the people had in the prosecutor's office. With the poster boy for the right way of practicing law being knocked out for forging evidence, and prosecutors on three separate occasions being convicted of murder, attorneys and prosecutors started to get the sense that there was no one out there who played by the rules anymore, and thus, they began to justify cheating, since everyone else was doing it. An increase in cheating led to more forged evidence, more false charges, more incorrect rulings, and less faith in the court system, and eventually those stupid plushies in 5-1 trying to stop people from forging evidence and bringing in wrongful accusations.

It's not so much that those two events caused the supposed Dark Age of the Law on their own, but they were the final two shoves to send the law spiraling downward.

...but yes, I agree, the game did a really poor job of explaining on that point. Which is why we need that animated Ace Attorney series set inbetween Phoenix's disbarment and Apollo Justice to flesh things out more.

This and this.

They just needed to word it better. And by 'word it better' I mean 'not pretend it started seven-eight years ago.' Like Ninja Monkey says, there's been more than one person in law who has been guilty (not necessarily 'found guilty') of a serious crime, or at least suspected of one.

Spoiler: Courtroom
Guilty people
Manfred von Karma, prosecutor (murder, forgery, participant in second murder)
Calisto Yew, defense attorney/Shih-na, Interpol agent (murder, participant in smuggling ring)
Lana Skye, chief prosecutor (forgery)
Miles Edgeworth, prosecutor (forgery, albeit unknowingly)
Diego Armando/Godot, prosecutor (murder)
Jacques Portsman, prosecutor (murder)

Tried in a court of law
Miles Edgeworth, prosecutor (murder, twice - found not guilty)

And that's not counting what goes on at Criminal Affairs.
Spoiler:
Damon Gant, Chief of Police (murder - twice, forgery - twice, perjury charge likely)
Lana Skye could also double for forgery here as a detective. And perjury.
Jake Marshall, officer (assault, forgery/perjury)

Tried in a court of law
Maggey Byrde, officer/security guard (murder, twice - found not guilty)

I'm willing to wager there's someone in AAI-2 as well, but since I've not played it, I wouldn't know.

On the other hand, maybe only so much is reported to the public.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

1000% Knight

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Spoiler:
The difference is that it was necessary for the plot this time :basil:

No, but seriously, I think DD has the weakest plot of any AA game. The whole "Dark Age of Law" thing doesn't make much sense for the reasons already given, it doesn't feel any different because policemen/attorney murderers and forged evidence are nothing new, Athena is jammed into the plot way too much, and it's pretty much a carbon copy of 1-5's plot.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

I also agree that this was not touched upon. I feel like the writers are trying to distance themselves from the old story.
Which would be untrue as Pearls was included.
Perhaps it might of been considered spoilers. But I would of felt that they should of said other prosecutors in the past have also committed murder. That would leave it ambiguous.
I was 17 when I joined this forum. During this time I participated in a thread that made light of sexual assault and event making jokes about it. I didn't think much of it at the time other than portraying a villain. I am older, looking back see how unacceptable & disgusting. I removed the comments because I do not wish to condone this behaviour. But of course fragments remain. I can only apologise for any hurt of distress caused.

https://rapecrisis.org.uk/ https://www.samaritans.org/

Master of sharp things!

Adrian in black wrote:
They just needed to word it better. And by 'word it better' I mean 'not pretend it started seven-eight years ago.' Like Ninja Monkey says, there's been more than one person in law who has been guilty (not necessarily 'found guilty') of a serious crime, or at least suspected of one.

Guilty people
Calisto Yew, defense attorney/Shih-na, Interpol agent (murder, participant in smuggling ring)

Tried in a court of law

Spoiler:
Damon Gant, Chief of Police (murder - twice, forgery - twice, perjury charge likely)

Tried in a court of law

I'm willing to wager there's someone in AAI-2 as well, but since I've not played it, I wouldn't know.

On the other hand, maybe only so much is reported to the public.

Alternatively, there really hasn't been a moment before these two cases (Phoenix's disbarment and Blackquill's murder, that is) where there's one guilty party from each side of the court found guilty at around the same time. Maybe the public hadn't picked up on the DAOTL because those previous cases had some time between them, unlike this. A build-up of mistrust, if you will.

On a separate note, we don't know if any other big, opinion-swinging cases have happened in the six year gap between Blackquill's case and AA4, either. Free space for future games to use, I'm sure, but that could help further explain things in the future.

Surf's Up!

Adrian in black wrote:
Guilty people

Tried in a court of law

Spoiler:

Tried in a court of law

I see you have no love for Kristoph Gavin...

Anyway, thanks for that guys, it's made things clearer and I can continue to enjoy the rest of Case 5 without that bothering me as I play.

Text of Steel!

Spoiler:
I think what makes Phoenix's and Simon's cases the so called cause of the dark age of law is that, as Edgeworth says, the media caught onto those two cases specifically and being the media decided to blow it out of proportions which caused the public to lose faith in the justice system when it became more about winning and heck with the truth and real justice. Also considering what a legend Phoenix became, having him be disbarred for using forged evidence certainly could not be shaken off as a minor thing by the public. And certainly cases like Manfred and Godot can be considered part of the start of the dark age of law like building blocks but it was Phoenix and Simon's cases where people had enough and all bets became off. And while never being said out right you can read it as the reason why the jury system failed since the jurists couldn't trust both defense and prosecution. But that could just be me

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:
Guilty people

Tried in a court of law

Spoiler:

Tried in a court of law

Anyway, thanks for that guys, it's made things clearer and I can continue to enjoy the rest of Case 5 without that bothering me as I play.

To be fair, Kristoph Gavin's arrest and convictions were after the Dark Age of the Law had already begun. I think Adrian was just referencing instances of public officials committing crimes before the Dark Age began.

The cape is self-fluttering

TheBlarghMan wrote:
NinjaMonkey wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:
Guilty people

Tried in a court of law

Spoiler:

Tried in a court of law

To be fair, Kristoph Gavin's arrest and convictions were after the Dark Age of the Law had already begun. I think Adrian was just referencing instances of public officials committing crimes before the Dark Age began.

Nah, I just forgot about Kristoph. He's on the list too.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

I just took it as "those two cases were the straws that broke the camel's back" and pushed how flawed everything was into the public eye. Especially since Phoenix was instrumental in a lot of them, and having him discredited was huge. (One wonders if Blackquill was key to some of the prosecutions we don't see -- the after-the-fact handling of Redd White, von Karma, Lana, Godot, etc., since those would have needed actual trials themselves, we just don't see them because Phoenix's involvement ends when the initial suspect is found innocent. If he had been one of the few really-squeaky-clean young hopes for the precinct, having him go down too could be a big issue.)

My name is Judge.

I think what a lot of people are leaving out is that the two cases were a media circus, according to the games. While von Karma and Godot may have been swept under the rug to some degree, Phoenix Wright was one of the most famous attorneys of the day, and his fall from grace was a highly publicized disaster, furthermore Blackquill's arrest took place surrounding an incredibly publicized event--the HAT-1 launch, so of course everyone who had access to the news would know about it.

The "Dark Age of the Law" probably was around to some degree before those two happened, but the massive public distrust of the legal system came after the media crucified it surrounding these two instances.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I guess the way they should've explicitly stated it in the game was "Blackquill's conviction was the final straw for people to trust in the legal system" instead of "Because Phoenix and Blackquill were disbarred and arrested respectively people lost hope in the legal system" which is pretty insubstantial since Blackquill doesn't seem to have any particular reputation vs. other prosecutors, and Manfred Von Karma was believed to be the best of the best with his perfect 40 year carreer.

They should've done something more to underscore the issue anyhow. We needed to see more instances in court of people from the gallery vocally expressing mistrust or dislike against the part that had it going for them, or in case 3 which was supposed to show the impact of the issue should've had characters who showed an example of the problem in a more pertinent way.

I rolled eyes every time the term came up in the game, even after it got explained. It wasn't justified at all, and it seemed like it just "had to be there" because it was foreshadowed by Phoenix at the end of AJ:AA. It had potential to be more than it was, that's for sure. I hope GS6 might elaborate on it, even if it's "over".
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Don't ya know? The Dark Age of Law is faaaar from over. >:D Nick just says that because he's so oblivious. If it lasted only 7 years anyway, that's not an age. That's a prison sentence.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Oh gawd xD I'm dying of anticipation now >__>

I hope it's even more redundant in the next game!

No, I jest. The glass is "half-full" and the theme still has more potential. Especially if they adress the Jurist System :-P
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Gettin' Old!

Of Interest: If you game over in the final cross examination, you get a special ending (like 2-4's bad ending) since no one can be declared 'guilty' logically at that point you just hear the judge say that they need another day to gather information. As such the truth is never found and Phoenix comments how the dark age of law got darker and darker in the following days.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

My name is Judge.

Darker and darker because someone's been playing with the Photoshop filters again.

But I actually had no idea there were bad endings in the game, I'll have to go back and find them.

Gettin' Old!

Percei wrote:
Darker and darker because someone's been playing with the Photoshop filters again.

But I actually had no idea there were bad endings in the game, I'll have to go back and find them.

Don't get me wrong...it's a game over, but in the same way 2-4's bad ending was a game over. It's different from your conventional guilty and provides a little extra info that's all, probably not worth hunting.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Percei wrote:

Don't get me wrong...it's a game over, but in the same way 2-4's bad ending was a game over. It's different from your conventional guilty and provides a little extra info that's all, probably not worth hunting.

I dunno about that. There's at least one ending that I think is even more depressing than JFA's.

For those interested, here's two (out of the possible four I believe) of the bad endings for 5-5. The most depressing one is at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97G_Eah0Ljc

Gettin' Old!

TheBlarghMan wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Percei wrote:

I dunno about that. There's at least one ending that I think is even more depressing than JFA's.

For those interested, here's two (out of the possible four I believe) of the bad endings for 5-5. The most depressing one is at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97G_Eah0Ljc

Yeah that second one was the one I got.

Also WOW...yeah....glad I didn't screw up on that first one.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The dwarf geeky panda!

I think why there is no saying about the previous game cases are simply to not spoil those who didn't play them. They already said they wanted the make the newbi enjoy them. So simply saying "yeah well there was this prosecutor and that attorney were guilty, plus those police officer" could spoil a bit.

Man those ending are depressing, but not like JFA and GS4 which were really just sad...
Please don't hit me...

Fuuuuuuuudge! - Phoenix Wright

I don't get that too, it's not like the other law-related criminals are really different.

But I think that people was more aware this time (ironic if you think that Phoenix was one of the people who tried to get more awareness from the public, making a Juror System and everything).

GREAT and POWERFUL Trixie's co-council

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
Alternatively, there really hasn't been a moment before these two cases (Phoenix's disbarment and Blackquill's murder, that is) where there's one guilty party from each side of the court found guilty at around the same time. Maybe the public hadn't picked up on the DAOTL because those previous cases had some time between them, unlike this. A build-up of mistrust, if you will.

But the time gap between Godot's murder and Phoenix' forgery (1-2 months) is far shorter than the one between Phoenix' forgery and Blackquill's murder (1 year).
I'm not English. Excuse my grammar errors.

Master of sharp things!

SweetieBot wrote:
Blademaster_Orca wrote:

But the time gap between Godot's murder and Phoenix' forgery (1-2 months) is far shorter than the one between Phoenix' forgery and Blackquill's murder (1 year).

Admittedly I forgot about that, but if we consider what happened in each case, it's a little more believable and/or relevant to the issue at hand for a "high class" prosecutor to murder their mentor than a low ranking newbie prosecutor with no wins to suddenly go crazy and kill a "ghost". Besides, Godot probably didn't live much longer after the case was over given his health, whereas Blackquill is obviously still alive. The living get more scrutiny than the dead.

Ooh, a real drumroll. Nice.

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
SweetieBot wrote:
Blademaster_Orca wrote:

Admittedly I forgot about that, but if we consider what happened in each case, it's a little more believable and/or relevant to the issue at hand for a "high class" prosecutor to murder their mentor than a low ranking newbie prosecutor with no wins to suddenly go crazy and kill a "ghost". Besides, Godot probably didn't live much longer after the case was over given his health, whereas Blackquill is obviously still alive. The living get more scrutiny than the dead.

Right, I here a lot about Godot having no wins as a prosecutor, but I disagree. A little off topic, but from what I can tell, prosecutors get a lot more privileges that attorneys. It makes sense that they also get a lot more cases. Surely Godot would have been winning other cases that aren't against Phoenix so he wouldn't get fired like immediately?

Anyway, back to the dark age of the law. Phoenix's forgery and Blackquill's murder were both extremely high profile cases. They are related to a magician band at the height of their popularity and the country's very own space program. What's more, Phoenix was previously assumed to be an extremely talented or ridiculously lucky lawyer, either way getting a fair bit of attention. Although its true that both sides have previously engaged in dodgy dealings, this is the most high profile occurrence, with Klavier managing to point out straight away that the evidence was forged. At least in the instance of Rise from the Ashes, the false evidence was from a few years back from the case.

My other argument is that, although other cases have taken place in the past, these two recent incidences sparked a discourse in the education system of lawyers.
Spoiler: case 3
In the case of Professor Means, he begins teaching that the "end justifies the means" and heavily implies that forged evidence is acceptable.
This can contribute to a snowballing effect of the Dark Age of the Law. Such an incidence may have encouraged other attorneys to use forged evidence.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Am I the only one who finds the resolution of the "Dark Age of Law" just as bad as how little of it is shown? I know Edgeworth mentioned very vaguely that some new information has come to light, and there's still more corruption and whatnot to deal with, but 5-5 ended on a pretty mellow note. That's not the end of a dark age of anything; that's an intermission. It's not as simple as solving two controversial cases, and then we're done.

Then again, this whole concept of a "dark age" is pretty mellow; makes me feel like we're missing out on too much.

Hahex wrote:
Right, I here a lot about Godot having no wins as a prosecutor, but I disagree. A little off topic, but from what I can tell, prosecutors get a lot more privileges that attorneys. It makes sense that they also get a lot more cases. Surely Godot would have been winning other cases that aren't against Phoenix so he wouldn't get fired like immediately?

Well, he didn't bother showing up to the trial where Payne defeated Xineohp because he knew that wasn't the real guy. He wouldn't have a reason to take a case unless Phoenix did. How he knew which cases Phoenix took, I have no clue.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

The video game boy; the one who wins

Okay, so before the Dark age of the law, this happened
Spoiler: GS1
Defense attorney accused of murder. Redd White presumably had the law-world and politicians in his palm because of blackmailing, doesn't get revealed until a lawyer is killed because of it. Prosecutor accused of murder, turns out the culprit was another prosecutor who didn't just kill that lawyer but another one 15 years ago. Said prosecutor has forged evidence and therefore got innocent people executed. He's been a prosecutor for 40 years. Chief prosecutor accused of murder, the culprit was the police chief who's killed before, hidden evidence to cover his crimes and blackmailed his subordinates.

Spoiler: GS3
Defense attorney turn into prosecutor because of personal vendetta, ends up confessing murder. A man fooling the court with a cardboard badge.

Spoiler: AAI
Prosecutor kills a detective, lawyer kills a prosecutor, both the culprits were involved in a grand smuggling ring.

Spoiler: GK2
The head of the prison kills an inmate. Chief prosecutor kills a lawyer. Both the culprits were involved in the SS-5 incident. Chief prosecutor has been manipulating case files and covered for von Karma when he was forging evidence. He's also been auctioning off evidence from past cases. (And it's heavily implied that he's killed more people in the past)

And "the dark age of the law" is now? Sorry, not buying it.

And that is, assuming that the events of AJ falls under "The dark age of the law", if Phoenix' disbarrment was the original starting point. I'm sure media must've covered at least some of this.

If anything, the dark age of the law started at least 50 years ago.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Ooh, a real drumroll. Nice.

GoingforMiles wrote:

And that is, assuming that the events of AJ falls under "The dark age of the law", if Phoenix' disbarrment was the original starting point. I'm sure media must've covered at least some of this.

There's enough that we don't know about during those 7 years to allow a situation by which the "dark age of law" starts at the time it does. For example, we don't have a clear understanding of what the media coverage on the mentioned cases were like. Also, its possible that the amount of corruption demonstrated in the case is the norm for the Phoenix Wright world, and the "Dark Age of the Law" represents a significantly greater amount of forgery and false charges. If we do assume the latter, then it's no wonder the public is so especially mistrustful of the court system, when they seem to already be fairly tolerant.
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Am I the only one who finds the resolution of the "Dark Age of Law" just as bad as how little of it is shown? I know Edgeworth mentioned very vaguely that some new information has come to light, and there's still more corruption and whatnot to deal with, but 5-5 ended on a pretty mellow note. That's not the end of a dark age of anything; that's an intermission. It's not as simple as solving two controversial cases, and then we're done.

Then again, this whole concept of a "dark age" is pretty mellow; makes me feel like we're missing out on too much.

they're saving the rest of it for the seeeequeeeeel

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

You know what I think of the Dark Age of Law shiz?
Spoiler:

GoingforMiles wrote:
Okay, so before the Dark age of the law, this happened
Spoiler: GS1
Defense attorney accused of murder. Redd White presumably had the law-world and politicians in his palm because of blackmailing, doesn't get revealed until a lawyer is killed because of it. Prosecutor accused of murder, turns out the culprit was another prosecutor who didn't just kill that lawyer but another one 15 years ago. Said prosecutor has forged evidence and therefore got innocent people executed. He's been a prosecutor for 40 years. Chief prosecutor accused of murder, the culprit was the police chief who's killed before, hidden evidence to cover his crimes and blackmailed his subordinates.

Spoiler: GS3
Defense attorney turn into prosecutor because of personal vendetta, ends up confessing murder. A man fooling the court with a cardboard badge.

Spoiler: AAI
Prosecutor kills a detective, lawyer kills a prosecutor, both the culprits were involved in a grand smuggling ring.

Spoiler: GK2
The head of the prison kills an inmate. Chief prosecutor kills a lawyer. Both the culprits were involved in the SS-5 incident. Chief prosecutor has been manipulating case files and covered for von Karma when he was forging evidence. He's also been auctioning off evidence from past cases. (And it's heavily implied that he's killed more people in the past)

Spoiler:
I don't think it's the issue of someone who obeys the law kills someone that has the same profession. It's about court proceedings (Apparently.) How Prosecutors are accused and convicted, and how evidence is forged. *cough*SL-9-Edgey*cough*
I never found the whole thing interesting by any means. (heh)

"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

The video game boy; the one who wins

BonnyMono wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't think it's the issue of someone who obeys the law kills someone that has the same profession. It's about court proceedings (Apparently.) How Prosecutors are accused and convicted, and how evidence is forged. *cough*SL-9-Edgey*cough*
I never found the whole thing interesting by any means. (heh)

Spoiler:
No, but perhaps the issue of someone who works for the law yet disobeys it and manipulates evidence and trials. Most of them just happened to be found guilty of murder as well. And a lot of them pretty much had the court in their palms due to their profession (or blackmailing). Phoenix forging evidence was the start point, yet von Karma had been forging evidence for 40 years by then.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Yup. I'm a salmon.

Spoiler:
Short Version: Dark age just didn't feel important; it was already dark before; ending should have been pitch black.

One of my problems with the "dark age of law" was that it didn't feel like much of a big deal. The characters say the phrase multiple times throughout the game so casually, it's only really given a real definition in Case 5, and like others have said before, the Ace Attorney world is filled with corruption already.

The game's tone didn't feel very different either, besides Athena's story I guess. When I heard that this was supposed to be a darker Ace Attorney game I was excited to see where they would take the series, especially since this was supposed to feature an even darker state of the legal system than previous games. I might have went into the game with too many expectations, one example being in case 3. When I reached Case 3 I was surprised to see how blatantly 3 of the students were talking about and acknowledging the dark age. I thought that Themis Legal Academy would be indoctrinating the student body into truly believing that what they were told is right and that they honestly thought that forging evidence and what not was actually part of being a lawyer. I was hoping that they would be more controlled than they seemed to be, and in the end most of the students would still stay the same, and that we would get the horrible realization that this is only one school in an entire country that is stuck in these dark times. Instead, they don't really expand much on what the other students think and feel, and that there are more places like this like I was hoping for.

I just felt that maybe that could have helped with the build up of the dark age of law.
Also, might as well throw this in, I was hoping that Athena would be guilty. I was playing the last case, waiting for a really dark turn in the story (In fact, I was waiting for a scene where Phoenix (And the especially the immersed player) tries his absolute best to defend Athena, but in the end comes to the conclusion that Athena was the culprit in a more emotional scene where he sees that he couldn't even trust her in this dark age) . However, Athena was innocent, Blackquill was innocent, The Masked-Phantom-Spy-Man that we are supposed to take seriously was... weird. All in all, none of it really sold itself as any different than the previous dark age of the last games. In my opinion, they could have made it a darker and more important concept to the player and the characters as well.

To be honest, we know the entire series of Ace Attorney can be treated as a satire towards the Japanese Court System. The only difference is that in the original trilogy, they didn't flat out tell you. People say show, not tell, and they did not tell us explicitly about this "Dark Age of Law", but through the actions of the character, and through the way the system was portrayed, they were able to show this to us. Dual Destinies, and I believe a little bit of Apollo Justice (not 100% sure though) kinda hit you over the head with this idea. Dual Destinies especially tells you over and over and over, even though it would've been much more powerful for them to show us through actions of the characters.

I think the big difference between Blackquill getting arrested, and not any of the others is that
Spoiler: Blackquill
Simon didn't put up much of a protest defense. He pleaded guilty in order to protect Athena, even if she didn't realize it at the time.
That, coupled with Wright's disbarring (and use of forged evidence), is what would've ushered in the Dark Days of the Law. The guilty parties before Blackquill tried to hide their crimes, and Phoenix using forged evidence tainted every other trial he ever defended: it's certainly a one-two punch where the end justifies the means, and people lost faith in the court system.
Page 1 of 1 [ 35 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)