Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 1[ 23 posts ]

[SPOILERS] Apollo Justice: Development or no development?Topic%20Title

Apollon Flame

Over the years, before Dual Destinies' release, a lot of fans would complain that Apollo was brushed aside for Phoenix and Kristoph in the very same game he made his debut (which was also named after him) and had little to no character development. Six years after, I ask myself: are fans satisfied now with Apollo? Did he get the development he deserved? The exposure we've longed? Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler: DD Spoilers
I think the writers were well aware that AJAA turned out to be a game where Apollo would just be a spectator to the bickering between Phoenix Wright, disbarred attorney and Kristoph Gavin, the man that masterminded his downfall. Other than that, they also realized that, due to the over-focusing on those two, Apollo didn't so much as developed character. They tried to remedy this in Dual Destinies. We see a more participating and exposed Apollo, always there in the screen, either we see what he thinks or his reactions. Something I liked is the deep meaning they gave his popular phrase of "I'm fine!". At first, during the intro of AJAA, it was kinda stupid, to be honest, but after exposing us to what it really meant, what it meant to him, I must say, I am "wowed" by what the writers did. There was also the fact as to how extremely compassionate he would be towards solving the case of his best friend's murderer. I also love how they inserted some of Kristoph Gavin's characteristics inside of him.

To summarize my thoughts:
Yeah, Apollo got development and exposure.
A King

in name

alone...
Re: [SPOILERS] Apollo Justice: Development or no developmentTopic%20Title

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

I agree, they only released a few things to know about Apollo, while the rest of the plot was around Phoenix.
I definitely like the development he got in AA:DD.
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

Gettin' Old!

They development he got in DD was nice, but I'd have liked a little more looking into his family backgrounds and his connection with Trucy. That's still a big question mark as to what happened to him and who his father is, could be a good case there somewhere.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
They development he got in DD was nice, but I'd have liked a little more looking into his family backgrounds and his connection with Trucy. That's still a big question mark as to what happened to him and who his father is, could be a good case there somewhere.

Well, Apollo WAS raised in the orphanage. So his father died in an accident too...?
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

Gettin' Old!

BonnyMono wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Well, Apollo WAS raised in the orphanage. So his father died in an accident too...?

Hmm I suppose thats fair enough but would still like to know more about who he was I suppose even if he had little influence in his life. I presume he's the reason he wasn't raised alongside Trucy after all, must have took him from Thalassa.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Apollo certainly got some much-needed development, there's no arguing that. Now we know he didn't just live in some void prior to the events of his debut, and small tidbits of information, like his interest in space (not as big as Clay's, but he still liked it, if I remember correctly) make him seem more alive.

Still, that wasn't enough. Compared to Athena, we know very little about Apollo, and I think he's the one they should focus the most on in the next game. The obvious next step in his development would be tying up the loose ends from Apollo Justice; it'd lead to not only some lovely drama and development, but it'd also involve Trucy, who I'd say is probably in most need of character development in the entire series at this point.

Apollon Flame

Pierre wrote:

Yeah, I just view Dual Destinies as a game where they tried to establish a new cast of characters for this generation to star, as in, more main characters besides Phoenix, Trucy, Apollo, Klavier and Ema. We can assume that, in GS6, we'll see the aforementioned, Athena, Blackquill and Juniper, more characters to use.

BonnyMono wrote:
Well, Apollo WAS raised in the orphanage.

Huh? :eh?: This is news to me. Assuming this is real (which I don't know) it wouldn't be the first time the team utilizes orphanage raised characters, see: GK2 (and they were big characters, to keep spoilers brief).

Pierre wrote:
Hmm I suppose thats fair enough but would still like to know more about who he was I suppose even if he had little influence in his life. I presume he's the reason he wasn't raised alongside Trucy after all, must have took him from Thalassa.

I think, assuming Apollo's father was a law enforcer, he was tailing the Gramaryes as a personal investigation. After falling in love with Thalassa, he decided to stop investigating them. But after Magnifi had his first ever grandson, he wanted him to live with them the life they had, but Apollo's dad didn't want his child to be exposed to whatever wrong the Gramaryes were doing. One day, out of nowhere, Apollo's father decides to leave him in an orphanage. Confronted by Magnifi, he asks where his grandson is and doesn't comply. Sadly, Magnifi plots a stage accident to kill Apollo's dad and the only ones that knew were every Gramarye except Thalassa.

Thane wrote:
and I think he's the one they should focus the most on in the next game.

Oh, I think they'll definitely focus on him the next game, I don't think they'll leave that blatant plot point unaddressed.

Thane wrote:
but it'd also involve Trucy, who I'd say is probably in most need of character development in the entire series at this point.

Yeah, Trucy's pretty bland and unmemorable, so yeah, she needs exposure, maybe even have her in more investigations even though we're with Athena or someone else.
A King

in name

alone...

Scent wrote:
BonnyMono wrote:

Huh? :eh?: This is news to me. Assuming this is real (which I don't know) it wouldn't be the first time the team utilizes orphanage raised characters, see: GK2 (and they were big characters, to keep spoilers brief).

Well, Apollo met Clay at an orphanage. (He explained so in Case 4).
Looks like speed-reading doesn't help, does it? :grey think:

Apollon Flame

BonnyMono wrote:
Scent wrote:
BonnyMono wrote:

Ooooooooooooh, I thought they exclusively met at school. xD Thanks for clarifying.

Nah, I just forgot. xP
A King

in name

alone...

The video game boy; the one who wins

I have to admit I was genuinely worried when I heard people talk about his development, because I was afraid that they had changed him, but it was fine, really. He felt a little more confident in court, but otherwise I think he was just like in AJ, except we got to see more sides to him. Of course, it also makes a difference that this is the first time we get to see him from another person's perspective. I think it was really clever to give him some Kristoph-ness, and that scene in itself raised my respect for Apollo because there and then we got to see what he really was made of. Without dwelling too much on it, in my opinion that situation set him apart from other lawyers in the game with their blind trust, and it also made me more curious about his time at Kristoph's law firm. It was quite fun getting to see a bit of his past and his relationship with Clay, even if the reason it was brought up was... well, not fair. Actually, some events in this game seemed to take wuite a toll on him and even if he mostly dealt with it behind the scenes (or should I say behind Athena) I think the game did a good job showing his grief and how he handled it in his way. Another thing I liked what how his relationship with Phoenix was portrayed, they have both come a long way since AJ in terms of earning each other's trust. On a completely different note, in this game Apollo showed a very kind side of himself which I haven't seen before, and also, some of his snappy comments have gone from smirk-funny to hahaha-funny. So... yeah. Well done.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

GoingforMiles wrote:
I think the game did a good job showing his grief and how he handled it in his way.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. As much as I liked the development he got, he never really showed any real grief over the fact that his best friend was murdered. He screamed once because Clay died before his dreams were realized, but that was about it. I would've liked it if they showed just a little bit more of his emotional side, but maybe that's just me.

Oh well, I guess we had to focus on how he suspected Athena, Ms. Center of the Universe.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

BonnyMono wrote:
Scent wrote:
BonnyMono wrote:

I hope you aren't drawing that out from false memory. I've just gone through that bit, and there was no mention of an orphanage. The day Clay's mother passed, they were at school.

Thane wrote:
GoingforMiles wrote:
I think the game did a good job showing his grief and how he handled it in his way.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. As much as I liked the development he got, he never really showed any real grief over the fact that his best friend was murdered. He screamed once because Clay died before his dreams were realized, but that was about it. I would've liked it if they showed just a little bit more of his emotional side, but maybe that's just me.

I thought that part was just fine. He didn't need to show much emotion; he was purposely making himself emotionally detached from everything, but he still had his moments of release.

Quote:
Oh well, I guess we had to focus on how he suspected Athena, Ms. Center of the Universe.

Universe? Center? Director Cosmos? I'm sure Athena is the Goddess of the Moon. :P
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Thane wrote:
GoingforMiles wrote:

Well, he did seem pretty shut-off in the beginning of the case, but that had its explanation later (and of course, it could be a part of his mourning process). I myself think that scream was a big part of what made it so good, and then he left for a while so we don't really know what he did and in what emotional state he was in. And well, everyone mourns in their own way; this was his. However, that cutscene where he takes off his bandage and throws the jacket away... ugh. I have to keep reminding myself that it was probably done for a "cool" and dramatic effect, because when you just think of it, it seems so terribly disrespectful.

Apollon Flame

They don't have to be TOO graphic about showing Apollo grief, just with the fact that we he shows it once, expresses it and even goes to the extremes of doubting Athena we can interpret this, the writer doesn't have to cater us everything and give it all in a silver platter. Just sayin' :v
A King

in name

alone...

GoingforMiles wrote:
Thane wrote:
GoingforMiles wrote:

Well, he did seem pretty shut-off in the beginning of the case, but that had its explanation later (and of course, it could be a part of his mourning process). I myself think that scream was a big part of what made it so good, and then he left for a while so we don't really know what he did and in what emotional state he was in. And well, everyone mourns in their own way; this was his. However, that cutscene where he takes off his bandage and throws the jacket away... ugh. I have to keep reminding myself that it was probably done for a "cool" and dramatic effect, because when you just think of it, it seems so terribly disrespectful.

The part where he throws his dead friend's jacket on the ground just like that? Yeah, but I always wondered why his arms looked normal, considering they'd been thoroughly wrapped in bandages.

IVs are OP.

I've felt worse.

Scent wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I think, assuming Apollo's father was a law enforcer, he was tailing the Gramaryes as a personal investigation. After falling in love with Thalassa, he decided to stop investigating them. But after Magnifi had his first ever grandson, he wanted him to live with them the life they had, but Apollo's dad didn't want his child to be exposed to whatever wrong the Gramaryes were doing. One day, out of nowhere, Apollo's father decides to leave him in an orphanage. Confronted by Magnifi, he asks where his grandson is and doesn't comply. Sadly, Magnifi plots a stage accident to kill Apollo's dad and the only ones that knew were every Gramarye except Thalassa.

Jeez, it's like everyone forgot about this.
Quote:
Brushel: So... Thalassa married Zak and had Trucy, see.
It was her second marriage, actually.
Phoenix: You mean she was divorced? (I hadn't heard this one before...)
Brushel: Not quite. Her late husband was a performer, too.
He died in an accident on stage.
Tragic, really. They had only been married one year.

"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Thane wrote:
Yeah, but I always wondered why his arms looked normal, considering they'd been thoroughly wrapped in bandages.

And his hair became shorter in the process as well.

Apollon Flame

sumguy28 wrote:

Jeez, it's like you're assuming the writers will use the same background for him.
A King

in name

alone...

Gettin' Old!

sumguy28 wrote:
Scent wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Quote:
Brushel: So... Thalassa married Zak and had Trucy, see.
It was her second marriage, actually.
Phoenix: You mean she was divorced? (I hadn't heard this one before...)
Brushel: Not quite. Her late husband was a performer, too.
He died in an accident on stage.
Tragic, really. They had only been married one year.

Accident Onstage? Event happened years ago? THIS SOUNDS LIKE EXACTLY THE GOOD FOUNDATION FOR A MURDER MYSTERY! Just make it not-actually-an-accident, and involve Trucy and it could be a great finale case.

Still short of Zak punting BabyPollo into the horizon we still don't know what happened that led him to be abandoned I mean his family was pretty wealthy at the time and his mother was employed well.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Scent wrote:
sumguy28 wrote:

Jeez, it's like you're assuming the writers will use the same background for him.

Must we really drop everything, though? It's a bit much to say that Apollo's dad was a secret agent under the guise of a stage performer.

Pierre wrote:
Accident Onstage? Event happened years ago? THIS SOUNDS LIKE EXACTLY THE GOOD FOUNDATION FOR A MURDER MYSTERY! Just make it not-actually-an-accident, and involve Trucy and it could be a great finale case.

Still short of Zak punting BabyPollo into the horizon we still don't know what happened that led him to be abandoned I mean his family was pretty wealthy at the time and his mother was employed well.

I don't really care what happens, as long as I get to safely declare that Apollo's dad has died twice.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Apollon Flame

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Scent wrote:
sumguy28 wrote:

Must we really drop everything, though? It's a bit much to say that Apollo's dad was a secret agent under the guise of a stage performer.

Pierre wrote:

I don't really care what happens, as long as I get to safely declare that Apollo's dad has died twice.

I'm not saying the writers should, is just that Clay's concept art speaks for itself.
A King

in name

alone...

And as I said in the GS6 Ideas thread, it says too little. If Magnifi was the AA-verse's version of Houdini, then who would Apollo's dad be?

Apollon Flame

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
And as I said in the GS6 Ideas thread, it says too little. If Magnifi was the AA-verse's version of Houdini, then who would Apollo's dad be?

I dunno, maybe his dad was one of those people that would get out of a tank full of water while chained down?
A King

in name

alone...
Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)