Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 3[ 115 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Is this game too much easy compared to the older ones?Topic%20Title

Masked Guy

I just finished The Monstrous Turnabout, so maybe it's so soon to say i'm right, but:

-You can analyze only places with clues in it
-Most of the movements between a place and another during the investigations are made automatically after you finished to talk rather then choosing where to go from the Move button
-When you have to show evidence during the trial outside of cross-examinations, there are often flashbacks which blatantly say what you are supposed to choose

Is this game too easy compared to the other ones or the other ones are harder as they are supposed to be?
Re: Is this game too much easy compared to the older ones?Topic%20Title

Yes, the game is too easy. That's really my main issue with it.
During the courtroom parts, you're given way too many hints. At times I felt the game thought I was stupid.
And the investigation parts are so linear, it doesn't feel like I'm investigating; it just feels like I'm dumbly following a script.
I understand that the investigations in the previous games could be frustrating at times, because basically there were too many things you could do at a time, and too few indications about what you were supposed to do to progress. But Dual Destinies goes way too far in the other direction. There are too few things you can do at a time; you barely have to think.

I honestly wasn't that put off by the slimmed down investigation sequences. I would have enjoyed poking around some more, sure, but it's not something that took away from the overall experience. The less-than-subtle clues, however, were a bit annoying, I'll admit.

But the difficulty was most certainly not the game's biggest flaw.

.: Hyperactive ecstasy dreamer :.

Yeah, it is pretty easy, due to the fact that there are certain areas you can investigate. Though, I've still enjoyed it.

Expert bluffer

It's most likely because there were many new players introduced to the series with this game--not to mention, some people had previously complained that the past games were too hard. Thus, you got a lot of hand-holding in DD, and, since there were also complaints about too many investigations or not knowing where to investigate, there's a stinging loss of investigation.
This game is very easy--you even have testimony support. None are necessarily bad features, although many miss the extra investigations that were just for fun. Some of the hints given are far too obvious, I'll admit.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

There were some times, where the hints weren't that annoying but...

Spoiler: Case 5
"Detective in charge of evacuation"
"Person holding it not knowing it themselves" with camera at Athena.

But some other, were, maybe not challenging, but weren't obvious, I think...

Generic line about justice and trust

Well, DD is a lot easier than the previous games, but let's not forget that Ace Attorney = Visual Novel, as such, it can hold the hand of the player so he/she can progress in the story. (As it would be a shame not to finish that game, right ?)

Tainic wrote:
Well, DD is a lot easier than the previous games, but let's not forget that Ace Attorney = Visual Novel, as such, it can hold the hand of the player so he/she can progress in the story. (As it would be a shame not to finish that game, right ?)

Yes, but this software is supposed to be a game. If there's no challenge, I might as well watch a YouTube playthrough instead of playing it. They shouldn't hold the hand of the player, unless the player wants it.
Yes, it sucks to be stuck, but the obvious solution is to make the hints optional, or at least wait until the player fails once before giving hints.

Also:
You can't lose health during magatama sequences.
They basically tell you when it's time to do a magatama unlock instead of making you figure out who to unlock first and when you have enough evidence.
You can save-load if you want, but you can also get all your health back with very little progress lost.

元・超会社員級の管理人

I think it's definitely the easiest game in the series; the only real sticking points I remember having in the Japanese version were a point-the-spot moment in case 1 where the game wanted you to be very specific and the final testimony of the DLC case.

I can sort of understand why they did it, since they wanted to get new players in as well, but it is disappointing.

Sligneris wrote:

This was really a "what, really?" moment as well for me.

In retrospect, I'm not certain I would have immediately made the jump to Bobby without them reminding us of that line, but I feel they should have at least hinted at it more obliquely rather than quoting the line that shows it in one go. Maybe something like having Phoenix think "so who would have known about the escape ladder?" would be a good hint, since it narrows down the list of suspects but doesn't immediately spell out "Bobby" for you.

The "person holding it doesn't know" moment was pretty unneeded too.

Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Tainic wrote:

I don't believe being a visual novel has anything to do with difficulty. Holding the player's hand throughout should be reserved to a game which isn't rated CERO B or higher. Granted, easier difficulty is meant to appeal to a wider audience than just the experienced fans. Yet, if they also plan to appeal to an older audience as well, they ought to have considered sharply increasing the difficulty by the final case, or even the DLC.

Nonetheless, I sometimes do imagine if the difficulty would naturally increase if the AA games were sound novels. In that case, though, I'd appreciate several different endings to make up for the lack of pictures.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

Sligneris wrote:

Spoiler: 5-5
Actually, if you were speed-reading, then you would pick Detective Arme. It was still too easy.

"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

...Nobody's mentioned this comic yet?
Spoiler: Large image (fake case, no spoilers)

I thought it was weird the game included the "Try Again" option after the health bar disappears completely. Since it's so easy to save, that's not really necessary.
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling

earthlings on fire

I never thought the day would come where I would think that the life bar should play more of a role but...well,

The life bar should have played more of a role. The fact that it wasn't included during psyche-lock parts was really odd and I actually missed that it was there. There was no pressure anymore so it didn't feel as intense.

and that comic is so true. It's so easy to figure it out yet it takes AGES for the game to get there.

I love DD, but it's way too easy. I don't want to be told everything, even if I've already figured it out ten minutes ago.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

mercurialSK wrote:
...Nobody's mentioned this comic yet?
Spoiler: Large image (fake case, no spoilers)

I thought it was weird the game included the "Try Again" option after the health bar disappears completely. Since it's so easy to save, that's not really necessary.

Omg that comic is perfect haha. This comic reminded me of
Spoiler: case 2
during case 2 at the end when I knew it was Le'Belle the entire time with the hair changing spray.

Cravat of Doom wrote:
and that comic is so true. It's so easy to figure it out yet it takes AGES for the game to get there.

The trend of having a piece of evidence that looks important but having to wait until the right moment to present it is not new. I'm reminded of

Spoiler: AAI-3
The time when you have evidence that there were three kidnappers, but rather than using it to refute Lang's whole premise that Lauren is the only one who could have done it, you have to wait until it also refutes his claim that she had to have been in contact with her father during the planning of the crime.

earthlings on fire

Real Anime Law wrote:
Cravat of Doom wrote:

The trend of having a piece of evidence that looks important but having to wait until the right moment to present it is not new. I'm reminded of

Spoiler: AAI-3
The time when you have evidence that there were three kidnappers, but rather than using it to refute Lang's whole premise that Lauren is the only one who could have done it, you have to wait until it also refutes his claim that she had to have been in contact with her father during the planning of the crime.

No, it's not new, but it's way more common and obvious in DD.
ImageImageImage

Got distorted by the vodka something idk

Obviously, the game was created for newcomers. As such, there was a large quantity of hand holding, most of which was completely unnecessary, and that they took out the health bar from the magatama sequences for no apparent reason, and also didn't put one in for the mood matrix when it could have worked rather easily. The game literally worked by giving you more than enough help, and too little room for punishment if you somehow don't use it. Overall, yes, this was by far the easiest game in the series, but it wasn't bad enough to make me not enjoy the game, but I'd have enjoyed it better if it retained the difficulty from the older games.

Replay always!

KōhīKazeToGengakki wrote:
Obviously, the game was created for newcomers. As such, there was a large quantity of hand holding, most of which was completely unnecessary, and that they took out the health bar from the magatama sequences for no apparent reason, and also didn't put one in for the mood matrix when it could have worked rather easily. The game literally worked by giving you more than enough help, and too little room for punishment if you somehow don't use it. Overall, yes, this was by far the easiest game in the series, but it wasn't bad enough to make me not enjoy the game, but I'd have enjoyed it better if it retained the difficulty from the older games.

I agree with that ^

The game was too easy compared to the previous ones (I missed the other mini-games in the investigations, and the pixel-hunting in the crime scenes), but it looks like I really missed AA to not care about that -- it's like the return of the prodigal son. But hey, there are plans for another AA so let's keep our fingers crossed! :D

Gettin' Old!

Huh I hadn't considered they'd taken out all the punishment for Magatama...kinda concerning since the Magatama threatens to BREAK YOUR SOUL for failures. :ron:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Huh I hadn't considered they'd taken out all the punishment for Magatama...kinda concerning since the Magatama threatens to BREAK YOUR SOUL for failures. :ron:

...Upgraded spirit powers?

Expert bluffer

Thane wrote:
Pierre wrote:

...Upgraded spirit powers?

...Perhaps it's a little rusty from lack of use and thus not nearly as potent? (Excuse).
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

Well, its not like the health bar in magatama segments actually make much of a difference. When you run out of health, it just kicks you out, and you can go back in. By removing it, it makes it easier, while not really effecting gameplay.

I've felt worse.

zpattack12 wrote:
Well, its not like the health bar in magatama segments actually make much of a difference. When you run out of health, it just kicks you out, and you can go back in. By removing it, it makes it easier, while not really effecting gameplay.
It's not so much that it affects gameplay, as it affects my perception of the gameplay. Without a penalty system, I'm much more inclined to randomly present evidence rather than think carefully about the answer.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Expert bluffer

sumguy28 wrote:
zpattack12 wrote:
It's not so much that it affects gameplay, as it affects my perception of the gameplay. Without a penalty system, I'm much more inclined to randomly present evidence rather than think carefully about the answer.

Indeed. Besides, once your health bar of the Magatama ran out, you could only afford one wrong answer before getting kicked out again. It was still better than this shoot-all-you-want Magatama that arose this time around.

DragonCactus wrote:
sumguy28 wrote:
zpattack12 wrote:

Indeed. Besides, once your health bar of the Magatama ran out, you could only afford one wrong answer before getting kicked out again. It was still better than this shoot-all-you-want Magatama that arose this time around.

I agree too, I found it way to easy without the penalty. Then again even with the penalty it didn't really matter since im sure people would either just restart from their save state.

Gettin' Old!

The Mood Matrix really needed penalties. The validity of it was called into question several times and it took up the Court's time but you never got penalised for wrong answers so you could brute force it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
The Mood Matrix really needed penalties. The validity of it was called into question several times and it took up the Court's time but you never got penalised for wrong answers so you could brute force it.

Was it really called into question 'several' times, though? I'm not saying it doesn't need a penalty system, because it really does, but it almost bothered me more that everyone just blindly accepted feelings as proof/the witness spilled the beans immediately whenever you were correct.

Gettin' Old!

Thane wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Was it really called into question 'several' times, though? I'm not saying it doesn't need a penalty system, because it really does, but it almost bothered me more that everyone just blindly accepted feelings as proof/the witness spilled the beans immediately whenever you were correct.

Hmm the validity of emotions as evidence was brought up several times in the last case I think.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:
Thane wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Hmm the validity of emotions as evidence was brought up several times in the last case I think.

Really? I can only remember it happening on one occasion, and it was quickly brushed aside by the Judge saying something along the lines of "oh I can vouch for it, I mean it worked before!".

Gettin' Old!

Perhaps it was just my head screaming it a thousand times then.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

earthlings on fire

Spoiler: Turnabout Reclaimed

This is the answer to the thread everyone else go home.

ImageImageImage

This game was very easy. I could see the parts that would've involved multiple presentations in previous games, parts I expected to have to present evidence too, but then would have it spelled out for me by a character... I'd be like... "thanks... I guess"
Plus
Spoiler: DD in general, I suppose
Every time the magatama comes up, you can solve it right then and there! What's the point?

Oh and please stop "clearing out" my evidence... I like reviewing all the data at various points in the case. Do they do this for tech limitations? For some reason I doubt it, but I suppose its possible...

I didn't even know about the consult option til I looked at these forums...

Cravat of Doom wrote:

Ugh, this part was one of the worst in terms of feeling like the game was insulting my intelligence.

Gettin' Old!

Jozerick wrote:
Cravat of Doom wrote:

Ugh, this part was one of the worst in terms of feeling like the game was insulting my intelligence.

Yeah and it's pretty near the end as well when you'd expect they'd turn up the difficulty. I laughed nervously wondering "Is this a real question?" when that came up.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

Pierre wrote:
Jozerick wrote:
Cravat of Doom wrote:

Yeah and it's pretty near the end as well when you'd expect they'd turn up the difficulty. I laughed nervously wondering "Is this a real question?" when that came up.

I don't know about you guys but, has anyone ever noticed how the difficulty decreases greatly when the game gets a sequel on the 3ds? It's like they want newcomers to start with Dual Destinies instead of the very first game. (Which they succeeded.)
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

BonnyMono wrote:
I don't know about you guys but, has anyone ever noticed how the difficulty decreases greatly when the game gets a sequel on the 3ds? It's like they want newcomers to start with Dual Destinies instead of the very first game. (Which they succeeded.)

Getting newcomers to the game isn't necessary a bad thing, especially since the series needs more followers so that we can have a better chance of getting more games localized. I do agree though that it would be nice if they did make the game atleast abit harder

One has to wonder if some kind of difficulty selection system would be feasible. It wouldn't have to be much, reimplementing the health bar during the magatama sections, for instance, would be a start.

The cape is self-fluttering

magnus_orion wrote:
Oh and please stop "clearing out" my evidence... I like reviewing all the data at various points in the case. Do they do this for tech limitations? For some reason I doubt it, but I suppose its possible...

To be fair, the clearing out of evidence happens in previous games too... but they're more subtle about it. Or at least the process doesn't involve so many panties.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Fool Bright wrote:
DragonCactus wrote:
sumguy28 wrote:

I agree too, I found it way to easy without the penalty. Then again even with the penalty it didn't really matter since im sure people would either just restart from their save state.

When you truly think about it, it really is all about perception. Mechanically, it's exactly the same. Sure even if they kick you out, you're less than 30 seconds away from getting back to that spot. It's like dying in Super Meat Boy. If you die in Super Meat Boy, its just its way of telling you you messed up. Phoenix Wright doesn't need to kick you out to tell you it messed up, so really the only reason it would do that is for perception issues. I don't know about you, but I always noticed this kinda stuff, and I really do think most people are smart enough to see through it. So really, to the people who were had expectations of it, those people were usually Ace Attorney fans and knew what that penalties didn't matter. For the newcomer, all it does is prevent frustration of going through the same part a few times. It isn't easier, its less punishing, and personally, games that are punishing are bad. I agree wholeheartedly with the removal of penalties in magatama sequences, and wholeheartedly with the "Game Over" mechanics. In a game like Phoenix Wright, once you get past a part, you can get past it again with ease, so by making you play through it all again just creates frustration, and wasted time.

All in all, the new mechanics seem to be very well thought out, and make perfect sense. This is a decision I will stand by.

Tl;DR: New penalty mechanics don't make the game easier, it makes it less punishing, which is what you want in a game like Phoenix Wright.
Page 1 of 3 [ 115 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)