Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 2 of 2[ 76 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: DGS Open Spoiler Discussion ThreadTopic%20Title

1000% Knight

Gina is the character I was looking for pictures for, but all I found was Megundal instead ;-;
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

So I found this in the artbook.
Spoiler:

I guess the sprite was cut?

Winter Flag Trademark

Nobody738492325 wrote:
So I found this in the artbook.
Spoiler:

I guess the sprite was cut?

Oooh, Barok van Zeiks holding a Sabre? Awesome! :maya:

No idea why they unused the sprite on DGS (Either "censorship" reasons or for size/hardware issues or has no importance at all). Then again, a certain prosecutor was seen holding a weapon in the Witches' Court at the Professor Layton crossover.

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

There is only one truth!

Sword Barok was probably cut for characterization purposes. While Barok would totally draw a sword in court, there wasn't a good situation for it. I don't think censorship had anything to do with it since this game is swords anyway.

Let me explain by comparing AAvsPL's Barnham and Barok. The difference between the two is why they draw their weapon. Barnham draws it for himself - he treats his sidearm as a physical representation of his logical arguments. To him, swordplay and the verbal duel of opposing attorneys are spiritual equivalents. Thus when Barnham uses a sharp deduction to counter an argument or cut through a lie, he also draws his sword because the two actions belong together. Barnham doesn't take into consideration the class or armed status of the other person when deciding to draw.

In contrast, Barok almost certainly subscribes to a traditionalist mindset that swords are only meant to be used on the worthy. Drawing one's weapon confers legitimacy on the opponent and simultaneously projects a statement about oneself. It would be degrading, low class, and rash to draw against an inferior. In other words Barok draws for others, and only those he deems worthy.

Keeping that in mind, I don't think there was any moment which would justify Barok drawing his sidearm. Barok thumbs his nose at Ryuu until the very end of the final case, and even then he still doesn't seem ready to trust Ryuu with more than a little backstory. There were also no witnesses or defendants that really justified Barok's sword either. Wealthy community hero Megendahl was perhaps the closest, but he was a shifty shyster that Barok obviously found distasteful. Robert Crogley is some gaudy nouveau riche. Case 4 was commoners through and through. Barok would impale himself before he acknowledged Sherlock (and Iris by extension). Vortex maybe would get a salute, but he wasn't around a whole lot.

The throwing of the cape was enough. Having him draw the sword too would be too hotblooded and undermine Barok's stubborn unflappable demeanor. Takumi should save that for when Barok has to confront the Japanese friend who broke his little vampire heart. (Mikotoba Yuujin maybe?)

It's pretty clear with all the swords lying around someone is getting stabbed at some point. Probably the climax case.

1000% Knight

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
It's pretty clear with all the swords lying around someone is getting stabbed at some point. Probably the climax case.

After the first case, my guess was that the final case would be Jezaille Bullet getting stabbed with Karma.

I was obviously way off, but... maybe something like that will happen in DGS2 or 3? :oops:
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

um...hi your honour?

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
I have this one theory that Jezail from the first case isn't actually her real name. The idea that someone by the name of A. Sasha intrigues me; the pun with "assassin" isn't just for show (I bet the "A" in her name is short for "Anne" or some variation). And since we never got a murder motive out of her, I get the feeling she planned out the kill like an assassin would; that someone from England sent her to get rid of Watson. Not to mention, she gets off scot-free anyway because "what happens out of England stays out of England". It's perfect to hatch a murder plot. And finally, we never got to see her real face. She always covered it up with a mask, even during her breakdown.

Also, less seriously but nonetheless curiously, I wonder if that swan on her hat was once used as a murder weapon in a previous case, where once again, she couldn't be prosecuted because she was a "foreigner". Clearly, the baby chicks were the dubious lure for the victim. Anyone would fall for them. They're much too cute. Nah, the babies were probably born after that case, and the mother swan needed to take care of 6 children, so she stopped being a weapon of fowl destruction.

Or....she could be more than a simple assassin, she isn't a killer....she's De Killer........the first!
I mean Shelly De Killer was the fourth/third/fifth in a LEGACY of the De Killer line.
The De Killer line started in 1800's so I was expecting the first De Killer to come up in this game somewhere.
I originally thought Hosonaga was the first De Killer, he looked a LOT like one, but I was wrong.

I even speculated Shelly's ancestor could be.....Jack the ripper, and the name Jack the ripper could might as well be an alias and his real name could be Zack De Killer or something............

Also, Jezel could be the ancestor of.............her ( :dahlia: *Cough cough*)

On a different note....I LOVED the first case of DGS. I mean it was the best first case I have ever.......saw :sahwit:
I mean, some first cases can be good (first turnabout, lost turnabout) okay(countdown to turnabout, turnabout foreigner) or amazing. (Turnabout trump, turnabout memories) But this in number one on my lost, my second favourite of the GAME! :godot:

The first being The adventure of the runaway room. Yeah, a good third case better than any final case, and turnabout academy was good but this is a a better third case.

so yeah! I love this game to death! Have some emogis! :will: :jake: :redd: :godot: :franny: :karma: :udgey: :edgeworth: :phoenix: :gant: :larry: :acro: :adrian: :dahlia: :tigre: :kristoph:

um...hi your honour?

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
Sword Barok was probably cut for characterization purposes. While Barok would totally draw a sword in court, there wasn't a good situation for it. I don't think censorship had anything to do with it since this game is swords anyway.

Let me explain by comparing AAvsPL's Barnham and Barok. The difference between the two is why they draw their weapon. Barnham draws it for himself - he treats his sidearm as a physical representation of his logical arguments. To him, swordplay and the verbal duel of opposing attorneys are spiritual equivalents. Thus when Barnham uses a sharp deduction to counter an argument or cut through a lie, he also draws his sword because the two actions belong together. Barnham doesn't take into consideration the class or armed status of the other person when deciding to draw.

In contrast, Barok almost certainly subscribes to a traditionalist mindset that swords are only meant to be used on the worthy. Drawing one's weapon confers legitimacy on the opponent and simultaneously projects a statement about oneself. It would be degrading, low class, and rash to draw against an inferior. In other words Barok draws for others, and only those he deems worthy.

Keeping that in mind, I don't think there was any moment which would justify Barok drawing his sidearm. Barok thumbs his nose at Ryuu until the very end of the final case, and even then he still doesn't seem ready to trust Ryuu with more than a little backstory. There were also no witnesses or defendants that really justified Barok's sword either. Wealthy community hero Megendahl was perhaps the closest, but he was a shifty shyster that Barok obviously found distasteful. Robert Crogley is some gaudy nouveau riche. Case 4 was commoners through and through. Barok would impale himself before he acknowledged Sherlock (and Iris by extension). Vortex maybe would get a salute, but he wasn't around a whole lot.

The throwing of the cape was enough. Having him draw the sword too would be too hotblooded and undermine Barok's stubborn unflappable demeanor. Takumi should save that for when Barok has to confront the Japanese friend who broke his little vampire heart. (Mikotoba Yuujin maybe?)

1) I think Barok would draw might draw his sword in the sequel, I think he would be the final prosecutor of the final case, y'know with a farewell my turnabout situation where the prosecutor of the game is immobilised and the prosecutor of the first game takes her place.

It would be pretty cool that Barok respects Ryuu enough to draw his sword and say, "You think when I throw my cape and drink my chalice that you were fucked before? Well you seen nothing yet bitch!" Well not like that, but....y'know.

2) Professor Mikotoba could be a good friend but not someone to cheat on someone else, It would be funny if it was prosecutor Ouchi :payne: Winston Payne's ancestor. It seems more fitting and justifiable.

um...hi your honour?

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Oh, wait. It was Sherlock who made the Hamlet reference. I don't remember exactly, but that overly dressed fellow spoke in a way that reminded me of Shakespeare. Obviously, it was in Japanese, so there wasn't any "modern English" to play with, and since it was only one of his lines, I could have simply mistaken what I read. Still, after finding Sherlock reciting the famous "to be or not to be" line in the middle of his reading, I didn't think it was a coincidence. I'll head back to it later to make sure.

WHAT A TWIST! He actually said that! And when the two guys spoke, they made Shakespeare references, but the pope complex dude said he argued with Natsume over Hamlet and Mcbeth.

Natsume's task was to study the English language so he read a lot of english literature, also Natsuem speaks in Shakespearean.

CINCIDENCE!? I have no clue.............................................................

I'm fine and ready for justice!

HeroMan66475 wrote:
I originally thought Hosonaga was the first De Killer, he looked a LOT like one, but I was wrong

I thought the same but after seeing Hosonaga in action, I really think he's an ancestor of Kristoph. Many of his sprites are VERY similar to Kristoph's and even his demeanor is similar as well.
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

um...hi your honour?

Apollo4Justice wrote:
HeroMan66475 wrote:
I originally thought Hosonaga was the first De Killer, he looked a LOT like one, but I was wrong

I thought the same but after seeing Hosonaga in action, I really think he's an ancestor of Kristoph. Many of his sprites are VERY similar to Kristoph's and even his demeanor is similar as well.

Ah I see...but...Hosonaga might die of his disease before having any children........if he hasn't already.
HOLD IT! But.....Kristoph is german.
And so is Klavier......so.....you thinkin' wut I'm thinkin'?

um...hi your honour?

Apollo4Justice wrote:
HeroMan66475 wrote:

Ah I see...but...Hosonaga might die of his disease before having any children........if he hasn't already.
HOLD IT! But.....Kristoph is german.
And so is Klavier......so.....you thinkin' wut I'm thinkin'?

Happy Maria

I loved it.

The animations and the OST were very fun,and the new allegro is my favourite one (the coda makes me want to dance).

Case 1 was...okay. It dragged on way too long tbh. The culprit was obvious too. Hosonoga was great though.

Case 2 was good. Sherlock is the best here,the victim was sad,and the culprit was also somewhat sad. Hosonoga was nice here too,though I'm sad he wasn't the detective of the whole game (Greggy isn't that great as a character). Interestingly though,I found Mitrov more sympathethic than the killer. He really felt bad for implicating Ryuu,and showed it. Poor guy.

Also,screw you Nocturne. :larry:

Case 3 is by far the peak of the game. The ambiguity on whether or not Megundal did it is great,plus the moment you figure out that's something is wrong is pretty spooky.
Everyone else has said all I need to say about the case. Though I'm disappointed there wasn't any investigation,but I can see why.

Case 4 feels...standard AA fare. And that's it's biggest flaw. Don't get me wrong,it was okay,but none of the other cases,sans the tutorial,were that standard. It and case 3 should have been switched.

The Joint Reasoning in this one is hilarious,though the testimonies in this one are too little. I mean,really. Four testimonies in total. It goes like this:

Testimony->CA->Testimony->CA->Testimony->Testimony.

It's only dragged on by its closing arguments. It even has less testimonies than case 3. I dunno,maybe the defendant could've testified,and then we could have another day of investigation.

Case 5 is pretty cool. It's nice getting some closure on case 3,though I'm sad we didn't find out the secret behind the music discs. Egg Benedict is cool,though I don't think anyone knows how to say his real name,so I'll just call him by his name in the artbook. Wait...

His name in the artbook is...Rubato Chrogray?! *spits out drink*

Um,well,anyway,this was a very good game,and I'm glad we're getting DGS2 next year or so. It was very fun overall,even if the pacing is off and some plot points aren't resolved. Let's hope the sequel is even better!

um...hi your honour?

[this comment is now moved to the speculation thread]

Last edited by HeroMan66475 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Maria

HeroMan66475 wrote:
Ok doods. would it be cool if the first De Killer was...Jack the ripper?
just sayin'

Er...wrong thread. This isn't the speculation thread,it's the discussion thread.

um...hi your honour?

Southern Corn wrote:
HeroMan66475 wrote:
Ok doods. would it be cool if the first De Killer was...Jack the ripper?
just sayin'

Er...wrong thread. This isn't the speculation thread,it's the discussion thread.

Okay...sorry....I'll move this comment.

I think DGS is a great game and has nice music to compliment it I look forward DGS2
All Lives Matter
Just Do It
Keep It Classic
Equality
Dream Big
All for one One for all
#Autism Speaks
#Mamba Mentality#8#24#2
Celebrate Each New Day
#WNBAAllDay
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kingdom Heats 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Destiny 2
I'm interested in mechanics,so I would be happy to learn about snake traps.
Good isn't a thing you are Its a thing you do

um...hi your honour?

Armie Buff wrote:
I think DGS is a great game and has nice music to compliment it I look forward DGS2

your not alone m8, me too

Happy Maria

Even the people who hate DGS are looking forward to its sequel

Guess why

um...hi your honour?

Southern Corn wrote:

Guess why

why?

Happy Maria

Because of the cliffhanger and potholes that still remain

hiya

Southern Corn wrote:

Guess why

Wait is there a good portion of the fanbase that didn't like it? I've only read the comments on the fan translation videos, but reception seemed uber positive :ron:

Happy Maria

A few,but not THAT many. Seems to be rather well received,though the reviews on Amazon are terrible.

Sorry to be a necro again but I was curious, did anyone else, besides me, suspect at first that Barok was responsible for the omnibus changes in Runaway Room? I felt that way at first because Barok was the one who brought it up in the first place and seemed to know everything about it, which seemed kind of suspcious.
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

Happy Maria

I didn't,though I was definitely confused.

I noticed that the victims in this game get less interesting as the game goes on.

Case 1 is John freaking Watson

Case 2 is your mentor figure pretty much

Case 3 has an ominous air about him but doesn't really become important until case 5

Case 4 is just some woman who was only stabbed by accident

Case 5 is just a pawnshop owner who only got shot in self defense

I also noticed Ryu is accused of various crimes in/for nearly every case in the game.
He was accused of murder in the first and second trial.
He was accused of forging testimony (I believe?) in case 3, but the accusation was in case 5.
He was held responsible for his assistant's tampering of the crime scene in case 5 (right?).

That covers every case except for the fourth one. If only Phoenix knew how lucky he was to be accused only once in his first game.

Happy Maria

And was also accused of black magic in case 3,4 and 5. Poor Ryu.

um...hi your honour?

Hey! I just remembered but.......these things were downplayed in DGS but....
Ryu might have a photographic memory.
Also....this one is a bit minor but.....It was shown that he was a huge foodie (sounds a lot like me) he even wanted to eat cheese from a mouse trap!

As I was saying about the photographic memory....i have a feeling it could be used in a new mechanic in DGS2.
What you guys think?
or should I move this to the speculation thread?

Happy Maria

That's definitely a speculation thing.

Case 1- solid opening case although disappointed with Jezail's motive not being established
Case 2- was good yet sad because Asougi got cut down far too soon
Case 3- very interesting and I didn't feel sorry for Medungal getting rendered deceased
Case 4- fine all around was nice change that a victim survives
Case 5- great with a nice ending
All Lives Matter
Just Do It
Keep It Classic
Equality
Dream Big
All for one One for all
#Autism Speaks
#Mamba Mentality#8#24#2
Celebrate Each New Day
#WNBAAllDay
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kingdom Heats 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Destiny 2
I'm interested in mechanics,so I would be happy to learn about snake traps.
Good isn't a thing you are Its a thing you do

um...hi your honour?

I thik your supposed to be more horrofiied for Megundal's death rather than feeling sorry for him.

Wotter boy

HeroMan66475 wrote:
I thik your supposed to be more horrofiied for Megundal's death rather than feeling sorry for him.

Maybe... At the time of his case, anyway.
And then you actually learn what he did, and you realise he probably had it coming.

um...hi your honour?

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:
HeroMan66475 wrote:

Maybe... At the time of his case, anyway.
And then you actually learn what he did, and you realise he probably had it coming.

true that.

Happy Maria

Still, it's rather...strange to see your defendant burn right after he's declared innocent. Just the cherry on top of the delicious cake that is D-3.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

HeroMan66475 wrote:
Hey! I just remembered but.......these things were downplayed in DGS but....
Ryu might have a photographic memory.
Also....this one is a bit minor but.....It was shown that he was a huge foodie (sounds a lot like me) he even wanted to eat cheese from a mouse trap!

As I was saying about the photographic memory....i have a feeling it could be used in a new mechanic in DGS2.
What you guys think?
or should I move this to the speculation thread?

It's suggested he has a "very good" memory, but in no way did anything suggest it's photographic. But I can agree with (confirm?) the latter. Even Asougi was a little concerned.

Then again, his being a foodie was pretty much confirmed since he and Sherlock did a thing to promote local foods across Japan. (Sherlock is a big fan of takoyaki.)
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Hehehe

My bud Glitchraptor made this thing for me, uhm

Happy Maria

I like it. Is that supposed to be the Jezail Flag?
Page 2 of 2 [ 76 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street