Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 1 of 1[ 37 posts ]

DGS Fan Translation ProjectTopic%20Title

Abstract Attorney (Eventually)

So I made a post on the AA sub-reddit, and on it someone claims to be already working on an external translation, but they haven't gotten far. The rom has yet to be dumped. Then we most make the game able to display English text, it might be easier due to the UK setting, but we'll probably have to modify the font. Anyone who wants to help post below with what you can o further the project along. I don't have a gateway yet (I'm going to try to buy one Friday) but once I do I'll start decrypting the files.

So for now I'd like to assemble a team
Who we need:
    - People to help mod the game to show the English text
    - Someone Fluent in Japanese and English
    - People that can edit in game images and textures

lolololololololololololololololololocalizeDGSlolololololololololololololololololololololol
Re: DGS Fan Translation ProjectTopic%20Title

Considering the status of 3DS emulators, it's probably better to first concentrate to just translate the game for e.g. a translated YT walkthrough instead of translating a game nobody can play.
Anyways, people should look out for the AAI2 team.

Lusankya wrote:
Considering the status of 3DS emulators, it's probably better to first concentrate to just translate the game for e.g. a translated YT walkthrough instead of translating a game nobody can play.
Anyways, people should look out for the AAI2 team.

Applying the translation just requires a 3DS and the game, so emulator is not really a good option, unless you don't have a 3DS.
lolololololololololololololololololocalizeDGSlolololololololololololololololololololololol

There is only one truth!

Yeah, I wouldn't try to assemble a task force for anything until an official confirmation comes in that it won't be localized (crossing fingers this won't happen). I think what everyone would like for now would be a detailed walkthrough and translations of some of the more plot-important lines for wiki reference.

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't try to assemble a task force for anything until an official confirmation comes in that it won't be localized (crossing fingers this won't happen). I think what everyone would like for now would be a detailed walkthrough and translations of some of the more plot-important lines for wiki reference.

Well maybe, I still want to dump the rom and decrypt it to see if it has an English font. That may be indication of a planed localization.

Oh right, this was a thing.

SparioEndernerd wrote:
Well maybe, I still want to dump the rom and decrypt it to see if it has an English font. That may be indication of a planed localization.

Spoiler: Case 1 culprit
Well obviously this game should have English capabilities, seeing how Jezail speaks English...

~UltrawaveStudios~

UltrawaveStudios wrote:
SparioEndernerd wrote:

Spoiler: Case 1 culprit
Well obviously this game should have English capabilities, seeing how Jezail speaks English...

So then it's not going to be as hard as GK2 was to translate? Well too bad it says nothing of the localization, as they put he text into the game for reasons.

Well from what I've seen of it in use, the English font looks fixed-width, so you'd probably need to put some work into changing that, which may be difficult considering there's no IDA pro plugin or debugger except for Citra (can it even run DGS?)

SparioEndernerd wrote:
someone claims to be already working on an external translation,

Saw this topic and had to sign up. :P

Yeah, I am. Chances are this is a very silly idea I have no hope of finishing (especially since (a) I don't know Japanese at all, and (b) I'm entirely reliant on other peoples' gameplay videos, so there's no way I can get all the optional dialogue), but I enjoyed the AAI2 fan translation a lot and wanted to try and help out at least a bit with any potential similar project for this game.

I certainly didn't realise you guys would be able to break the game apart so quickly! Makes my own efforts seem wasted, but I'm having fun with this so I'm going to continue until I either run out of gameplay videos to use or Capcom announces a localisation.

Mostly, though, I'm just surprised so many people were so salty about me even using Google Translate at all. It helped immensely for getting the romaji, if nothing else, but it's not like I was just going to dump a nonsense literal translation out there and call it a day. I stuck a few samples in my original topic on Reddit, which should help allay some concerns.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Kiyanavasala wrote:
Mostly, though, I'm just surprised so many people were so salty about me even using Google Translate at all. It helped immensely for getting the romaji, if nothing else, but it's not like I was just going to dump a nonsense literal translation out there and call it a day. I stuck a few samples in my original topic on Reddit, which should help allay some concerns.

I understand where you're coming from - truth be told, a long long time ago I translated a soundtrack list for Pokemon with nothing but an e-dictionary - but the reason people are so averse to using Google Translate is that Google Translate is terrible for actual writing.

Japanese is a very context-heavy language, and the AA games (particularly this one!) use all sorts of non-standard writing or speaking styles in their dialogue, along with plenty of puns, references, etc. The end result of that is that for a lot of lines in the game, putting them into Google Translate will give you something that's just flat-out wrong. Because Google Translate is dumb! Like, literally. It doesn't have any knowledge of greater language context, or of the series, or of what's going on during the line you're having it translate, or even what the context relative to other lines is. It works in a vacuum, and translating in a vacuum is essentially impossible.

Is Google Translate better now than it was years ago? Absolutely. And I'm sure it'll continue to improve. But - and again, I understand where you were coming from, because I used to do the same - it's absolutely not something that works as a starting point for a full translation of something like AA, no matter how much you edit the output.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Winter Flag Trademark

Someone has made an Awesome English Logo for DGS, by the way: :scientific:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31305

No spam, no post-begging or advertisement were meant to. I have found this thread that had a Fanmade English DGS Logo. It could be used for the translation project. :gregory:

To be fair, it was only a suggestion. I just wanted to help! :accordion-head:

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

Too many thoughts and nothing to do~

Ideally, we should wait for confirmation of an official western release. However, if we're not going to get one, then I should think that creating a fan translation shouldn't be that hard.
In order to play it on an actual 3DS, people would just need to buy a cheap flashcard and load the ROM.
As for editing the text itself, I understand that Bolt Storm was able to edit the text from the demo in Notepad++. I'm not sure if it's the same way with the actual game's text; can someone confirm this? I'd assume you'd need a ROM dump of the game first, though.

doggydogworld wrote:
Well from what I've seen of it in use, the English font looks fixed-width, so you'd probably need to put some work into changing that, which may be difficult considering there's no IDA pro plugin or debugger except for Citra (can it even run DGS?)

The biggest problem with using a fixed-width font would be line display issues. (Aka, someone's line not fitting into the text box, but not having the code for another text progression. I worded this pretty strangely, gah. :grey: )
In that case, I suppose that someone would probably dig through DGS's memory and check out the control codes in order to reformat the text accordingly. Otherwise, I don't think it'd be much of a problem. I've played fan translations before that have used fixed-width fonts from the game's memory, so I would think that it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to workaround?
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good if I ever use Comic Sans, Arial, Times New Roman, Brush Script, Papyrus, Curlz, Ravie, et cetera."
Friends don't let friends use bad fonts.
Unironically, anyways.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

doggydogworld wrote:

Just use the Dual Destinies font. It's condensed, and pretty good for fitting in the text box. Only problem is getting the actual font.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

RayquazaSenpai wrote:
doggydogworld wrote:

Just use the Dual Destinies font. It's condensed, and pretty good for fitting in the text box. Only problem is getting the actual font.

Yes, the biggest problem would be loading the fontset into the game's memory in lieu of the default Japanese one. I'm not exactly sure if there are any tools available right now that can do this, though, as I understand that most 3DS files are pretty hard to decrypt.
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good if I ever use Comic Sans, Arial, Times New Roman, Brush Script, Papyrus, Curlz, Ravie, et cetera."
Unironically, anyways.

TheGreatSnarkoo wrote:
In order to play it on an actual 3DS, people would just need to buy a cheap flashcard and load the ROM.

It's not that simple. There are basically only two options when it comes to flashcards. One has the problem, that it doesn't work with newer firmware versions, the other has the problem that it isn't region free (can be bypassed, but means you need to buy Cubic Ninja).

Art Person

I'd love to help out! With proofreading of English scripts, or trying to translate some sentences of Japanese (I know a little), I'd love to try and pitch in!
When Bolt ripped the Demo, he said the scripts were all fairly easy to access, and I know it may not be the case with the full version, but maybe, seeing as the fan translation of Fire Emblem if is in the works (and actually has in-game text editing involved) we could maybe contact their team and find out how they are translating that game for some insight?

Winter Flag Trademark

Don't know if the admins need to create another secret forum about the project or should it be taken to the one that's secretive but already been created?

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

Probably not, seeing as we don't really have any confirmation or denial about a western localization. It's a bit too early to have a fan translation in the works.
Unironically, anyways.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Also, I want Barok's English name to be "Hayden van Damme", PLEEEEEEEASE!!!!!! :accordion-head:
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Hi, I'm a member of a DGS translation team, we are in a "preproduction" kinda state right now, setting thing up and experimenting with the script ( you can see my progress in this area in this thread. )

But why am I writing here? I'm calling for help! I don't have a lot of experience with cracking unknown file formats, so I can't do anything width these .arc and .tex files.
So, if someone could make tools to unpack and repack them, that would be very appreciated, and we could translate the game's UI too.
Sample files here: Click me!

I could probably help out cracking some of the files, since I have a few tools on my computer to help me out
Unironically, anyways.

Wikia Ace Attorney Wiki admin

.tex is the extension for LaTeX files, but that's definitely not a LaTeX file...

Art Person

Pottty wrote:
Hi, I'm a member of a DGS translation team, we are in a "preproduction" kinda state right now, setting thing up and experimenting with the script ( you can see my progress in this area in this thread. )

But why am I writing here? I'm calling for help! I don't have a lot of experience with cracking unknown file formats, so I can't do anything width these .arc and .tex files.
So, if someone could make tools to unpack and repack them, that would be very appreciated, and we could translate the game's UI too.
Sample files here: Click me!

I've expressed my interest over at GBAtemp. If you need help editing images, I'm you guy! :basil:

Unfortunately it appears as though a western release is not going to happen as capcom France stated the game was not intended for a western release. So if this is the case then a fan translation like the one from AAI2 is the only hope for many of us who want to play the game. If needed I'd be more than happy to contribute as an editor for English text.

Gardevoir lover

I wish you guys luck with this project.
I hope to see good things come from it!

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

A Kirby and AA fan

capefeather wrote:
.tex is the extension for LaTeX files, but that's definitely not a LaTeX file...

If I'm not mistaken, it's a texture file for 3DS roms?

Great Revival

There is currently someone subbing the game in a Youtube playthrough...
Here

Objection!

How this goes guys? i would like to help with something if you want :D

Knight of the Court

I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I worked on the AAI2 patch. I was head translator for a while (until uni got too busy) and stayed involved until them end. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had, and its because of that that I'm currently studying translation professionally, hoping to get into the localization business someday. Currently taking a Masters in Translation but my semester is almost over so I should be completley free for a couple of months. I really want to keep translating things to keep my practice up, and then I stumbled on this.

I've watched a few Youtube videos of this game and really love the trials and plots so far, but I'd like for more people to be able to experience them. And seeing as localization is... iffy at the moment, we might have to resort to something like this. It could happen (the Layton crossover did after everyone though it was hopeless, but that was localized by Level 5), but given Capcom's track record and the fact that this game has a lot of Japanese themes, I'm sort of doubting it.

As you can probably tell I'm very passionate about the series and know its writing style fairly well. I'd love to help on this as a translator, but I have one question:

Is this going to be a Court Records project like AAI2 or is it going to be done externally? (Like on GBATemp) Because we had a great community for the AAI2 project and it was a huge help in keeping everyone motivated. Seriously, everyone her is so nice, especially compared to many other forums I've had experience with.
The reason I'm sort of concerned is I read the GBATemp forum and I noticed there was a lot of warring over localization and just what to do with the setting/names, and most of it was by non-translators too, who don't seem to have a full understanding of how localization even works. Honestly, I feel the question of localization isn't even relevant at the current time. The workflow of both the AAI2 fan translation AND Capcom's official AA translations (according to Janet Hsu's blogs) is:

Literal Translation -> Localization.

We maybe float possible ideas and mark segments that definately need to be changed (e.g untranslatable pun, obscure cultural reference), but localization doesn't happen until we've done several literal pass-throughs and checked for mistranslations, etc. You need to have a very thourough understanding of the literal script before you even begin to consider localizing it. This literal translation is what I'd like to help with, if you have a position free.
Something something please localize DGS.

1000% Knight

Well, it seems like all the people who have been trying to do the fan translation have been on GBATemp.

If the DGS translation effort came to us and asked to be a Court Records project, I think the staff would help accommodate it. (I know I'd support it.) But right now it seems to basically all be centered on GBATemp, and I don't think actively trying to fetch them and bring them here is something we'll do.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Oh right, this was a thing.

Oliver wrote:
Here

"Dai Gyakuten Saiban part 1... is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Miles."
...Yeeeaaaah real convincing.
~UltrawaveStudios~

Great Revival

UltrawaveStudios wrote:
Oliver wrote:
Here

"Dai Gyakuten Saiban part 1... is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Miles."
...Yeeeaaaah real convincing.

Oh.
That's a shame.

Dammit, Edgeworth... :edgeworth:

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I spoke to the co-lead on the project at GBATemp and he says it's going to be a literal translation, so no localized name puns or english people speaking european etc. I don't know how I feel about that.

I think for the english font one thing is clear. It needs to be changed because it's resorted to catchphrases and looks like japanese-english font, just like Athena or Klavier in Dual Destinies.

Comparison:

vs

Also IMO, while DGS uses the MX Framework engine like Dual Destinies for rendering it is clearly made from the foundation of the PLvPWAA engine and uses a similar font, so it would be much easier to somehow export PLvPWAA's english font than to try and squeeze DD's font-style in there.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

What's a Court Records?

Here's some footage of the in-progress fan translation running on a 3DS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PYQqfBTdGI
Why am I even here?

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Steam Discord

Would somebody be able to do me a favour? I'm following Dowolf's translation, but since the quizzes are done live, this weekend, when I doubt I'll have access to internet, so I'll lose access to the quizzes. Would somebody be able to just get the links for the quizzes for part 1.6-1.7 and maybe 1.8, so I'd be able to play them (not to sound selfish, I'm also keeping a list so that those who don't watch the videos live can still play along with the quizzes :) )

I mean, I could just not delete the links off the videos, I guess.

Dowolf wrote:
I mean, I could just not delete the links off the videos, I guess.

:karma: Coolio. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 [ 37 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street