Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 1 of 1[ 32 posts ]

Janet Hsu on DGS LocalizationTopic%20Title

The Enigma

I was screwing around on Twitter and the #localiseDGS when I saw that Dollarluigi posted a video on Youtube. He was able to get into contact with Janet Hsu and told her that fans are excited about AA6, but a lot of us would really love to see a DGS localization and asked her if that would actually happen. Her response is as follows:

"I saw on Facebook and Twitter that people were wondering about DGS, and to be honest, I am not privy to Producer level and above discussions, so I'm not entirely sure how the decision was made to localize AA6 over DGS. I personally think that part of the reason is because we can only handle one AA game at a time (there's only one of me, after all ^^; ) so it's still entirely possible that DGS may be localized in the future. That said, my team and I are working hard on the localization of AA6. I hope it'll live up to your expectations."

So there you have it, Ms. Hsu's opinion on DGS's localization. Y'all's thoughts? Here's a link to Dollarluigi's video if you want to see it for yourself. Big thanks to him for contacting her and making the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-wdk3TWeB8
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons
Re: Janet Hsu on DGS LocalizationTopic%20Title

I'm 99% sure they'll localize the whole trilogy when all the three DGS are available, like they did with the original trilogy. It should be easier to work on the whole trilogy (with a 100% complete plot), instead of working with only one game (33% of the plot).

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Art Person

That makes sense. Janet's lead all the AA localisations since JFA, so now that there are 2 teams working concurrently, it's too hard for one team to substitute or divide up and get things done at the required speed.

I hope this means when the main AA has a break, DGS will be the next to be localised!

New~

Slammer wrote:
I'm 99% sure they'll localize the whole trilogy when all the three DGS are available, like they did with the original trilogy. It should be easier to work on the whole trilogy (with a 100% complete plot), instead of working with only one game (33% of the plot).

This. And knowing how DGS felt unfinished.. it seems to be the case.

1000% Knight

Slammer wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't be too sure about this. The original AA game was intended as a standalone. It's not like they could've said, "Oh, we'll localize this when the next two games come out" because they had no idea there would be a next two games. Plus, they didn't localize AA once the original trilogy was released--they localized it when Japan got the DS re-releases.

They certainly may be waiting for the entire DGS series to be released, and if they can only localize one game at a time I think AA6 makes a lot more sense than DGS, but I really don't think what happened with the original trilogy is any indication whatsoever of what'll happen with DGS.

(And of course, it might be their intention now to localize DGS when the series is complete, but by the time that actually happens we might get the GK2 problem all over again.)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Yeah.... I hate to be negative, but I completely agree with Bad Player on this. Localizing a niche spin-off game within a kinda somewhat nice series just feels like something that may be like an after thought. I'm honestly shocked we even got Ace Prosecutor, but I chalked that up more towards Edgeworth's popularity within the series. DGS doesn't even have that going for it.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Gardevoir lover

dullahan1 wrote:
Yeah.... I hate to be negative, but I completely agree with Bad Player on this. Localizing a niche spin-off game within a kinda somewhat nice series just feels like something that may be like an after thought. I'm honestly shocked we even got Ace Prosecutor, but I chalked that up more towards Edgeworth's popularity within the series. DGS doesn't even have that going for it.

But the game has Sherlock bleeding holmes, have you seen his magnifying glass? It's enormous! he's one of the most popular fictional characters of all time, i think that'l move some units.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Bad Player wrote:
Slammer wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't be too sure about this. The original AA game was intended as a standalone. It's not like they could've said, "Oh, we'll localize this when the next two games come out" because they had no idea there would be a next two games. Plus, they didn't localize AA once the original trilogy was released--they localized it when Japan got the DS re-releases.

They certainly may be waiting for the entire DGS series to be released, and if they can only localize one game at a time I think AA6 makes a lot more sense than DGS, but I really don't think what happened with the original trilogy is any indication whatsoever of what'll happen with DGS.

(And of course, it might be their intention now to localize DGS when the series is complete, but by the time that actually happens we might get the GK2 problem all over again.)

Good points. But since she said Capcom didn't say there won't be a localization and since the trilogy has been localized when it was completed (yeah, I know it was when it came out in Japan on DS, but they might have thought it was a waste of time (and money) to localize a GBA game, so they waited for the DS release), I think there's the possibility they localize the whole trilogy game by game, when they are all out in Japan.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
dullahan1 wrote:

But the game has Sherlock bleeding holmes, have you seen his magnifying glass? It's enormous! he's one of the most popular fictional characters of all time, i think that'l move some units.

I'd love to agree because I love this series, but I doubt having Holmes would do anything. He's not established within the AA universe whereas Edgeworth was. Holmes fanbase is more built upon other media, such as through the novels, shows, and movies. Having him appear in a niche game won't do much and the only Holmes fans it would appeal to would be those who are also AA fans.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

What's a Court Records?

Thanks for helping spread the word. :D
I can be pretty busy when I'm not being lazy! I'm still in school, after all.
Why am I even here?

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Steam Discord

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
dullahan1 wrote:

Also to keep in mind is that Capcom has entire teams dedicated to market research and projecting sales

If localizing this game would be worth it financially, we'd have it. Given the state of Capcom right now, it can't really take risks

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Slammer wrote:

Yeah but a couple of different things factor in, such as time for insance :P
It'll probably be 2020 or something when DGS3 is out, which most definitely won't be on 3DS. Of course they can make an HD collection of sorts, but it remains to be seen how popular this franchise is in the west at that point, let alone Nintendo handheld gaming or something.

I don't think AAI2 will ever get an official translation. I don't see it being very likely that we'll get DGS here now that Capcom seems to have made a choice.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

What's a Court Records?

I think we just have to wait. We have plenty of people pushing for this to happen, anyways. I'm also very certain that those players that "won't play an Ace Attorney game if Phoenix isn't the main protagonist" would be interested in DGS, since it's about his ancestor. And I know I'm not the only one who think it's a good idea localise since Sherlock Holmes is in it.
Why am I even here?

What's a Court Records?

Bad Player wrote:
Slammer wrote:

Shu Takumi DID think Gyakuten Saiban would get localized, so he did not include references to Japanese culture. He wasn't told that the GBA games wouldn't get localized until after he completed the first one. However, he was told that they would be localized after all around the time of the DS ports.
Why am I even here?

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Dollarluigi wrote:
Shu Takumi DID think Gyakuten Saiban would get localized, so he did not include references to Japanese culture. He wasn't told that the GBA games wouldn't get localized until after he completed the first one. However, he was told that they would be localized after all around the time of the DS ports.

Could you link the source for this? I don't remember which interview where this was brought up.

Also, there are plenty of Japanese cultural references in any GS game. That is undeniable.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Ehhh, after that AA6 trailer I really just want to play this game instead.

AA6 seems too much like a mimic of this game's concept with the foreign court and chinese-esque instrumentation, except it looks dull!
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

linkenski wrote:
Ehhh, after that AA6 trailer I really just want to play this game instead.

This.

Unfortunately, we'll have to wait some years... unless they finish the fan-translation.

What's a Court Records?

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Dollarluigi wrote:

Could you link the source for this? I don't remember which interview where this was brought up.

Also, there are plenty of Japanese cultural references in any GS game. That is undeniable.

Sadly I can't remember the source for that, but I'll let you know if I can find it.
Why am I even here?

The Enigma

I recall one too (might be the same one DollarLuigi is thinking of, who knows). Not sure if it was mentioned here or on another forum. But the people working on it have some of the same people who translated and worked on the patch for Fire Emblem Fates.
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Janet Hsu's comment about DGS's localization kind of echoes some of the DD team's about GK2. I think those more in the creative part of it are told or are told to tell us that it was done for non-financial reasons ("Scheduling" for GK2, "Getting it to us sooner" for DD digital only, etc.) Assuming that they've been working on AA6 all this year, this makes sense, and I think they made the right decision since the main series is more important to the survival of the franchise in the west. But if AA6 is fairly "new" and development has only started in the last 6 months or so, then it seems like they could have worked on DGS and then worked on AA6 without too much delay.

That's why I think (just like I do with GK2) that it was that Capcom didn't think it would sell well.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Business decisions always only ever come down to money.

Self-proclaimed smart person.

It's good to hear that from Janet, since it confirms a lot of what I suspected, such as them only being able to work one game at a time.

Most of what I have is speculation, but it makes to go for AA6 too.
Something to consider is the speed Dual Destinies was localized in; releasing only three months after Japan's release date (compared to the sometimes several years of waiting for the other titles). I think we can assume that they're aiming to release AA6 in the same vein, as we got such an early confirmation that it was being localized.

Dual Destinies came out in Japan during June, and in English October of 2013 (with the DLC two months later). After that, the Trilogy came out December 2014, and they did polish the script for that port specifically, as Capcom-Unity blog posts by Janet Hsu mentions in this post and in the first paragraph here. I also think they may have done the same for the iOS port of Dual Destinies that was released in August same year but don't quote me on that. And that's not even bringing in PLvsAA, though I don't know exactly how much Janet's team was involved with that.

Point being, since Takumi was already hard at work during early 2014 with Dai Gyakuten Saiban, and Janet's team was busy with the Trilogy 3DS port, they couldn't just jump over and localize the game alongside the development, like they did with Dual Destinies (though you could argue otherwise, since she did help with some English used in DGS).

Now, with the end of 2014 and the AA Trilogy ready, AA6 was probably being conceptualized and Capcom would have to decide to either focus on localizing DGS or AA6. If they picked DGS, AA6 would not get the same quick localization as Dual Destinies did and DGS wasn't going to get that treatment anyway, so I'd imagine the choice was to either get DGS done sometime 2016 (probably), and AA6 even later than that, or prioritize the main series. It makes sense to do what they're doing, in that scenario: provide a steady release of the main series as priority and fill in the gaps with ports or spin-off games.

Tl;dr version
Capcom probably picked AA6 to get a swift localization process, like they did with Dual Destinies, since they prioritize the main series now. I hope what Janet is saying is true and that we'll get DGS when they're done with AA6.

A Kirby and AA fan

Triplemathics wrote:
And that's not even bringing in PLvsAA, though I don't know exactly how much Janet's team was involved with that.

I think not at all, actually. It was localized by Level 5 and they probably have their own people for localization.

Call me James

Nurio wrote:
Triplemathics wrote:
And that's not even bringing in PLvsAA, though I don't know exactly how much Janet's team was involved with that.

I think not at all, actually. It was localized by Level 5 and they probably have their own people for localization.

I think Capcom was asked when PLvsAA would be localised. They said they don't know, since it wasn't up to them, and Level 5 were behind it all.

So they certainly do have their own team.
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"

Self-proclaimed smart person.

While that makes sense, I'd have to imagine they'd have someone from Capcom to supervise the translation process for the Ace Attorney parts, at the very least.

1000% Knight

Triplemathics wrote:
(though you could argue otherwise, since she did help with some English used in DGS)

This makes so much sense.
Spoiler: super-minor case 3
I guess we now know where the Phoenix Wright Omnibus came from

Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

What's a Court Records?

Professor Yoshi wrote:
Nurio wrote:
Triplemathics wrote:

I think Capcom was asked when PLvsAA would be localised. They said they don't know, since it wasn't up to them, and Level 5 were behind it all.

So they certainly do have their own team.

It was both Nintendo and Level-5 that brought the game over. If you pay attention to the credits you'll see both "NOA (Nintendo of America) Localisation" and "NOE (Nintendo of Europe Localisation".

But on the topic of DGS, I'm fine with Capcom prioritizing the main series, but I still hope they'd give us DGS sometime in the future. Preferably in the 2016-17 period.
Why am I even here?

迷探偵

Dollarluigi wrote:
It was both Nintendo and Level-5 that brought the game over. If you pay attention to the credits you'll see both "NOA (Nintendo of America) Localisation" and "NOE (Nintendo of Europe Localisation".

I can't give details, but FWIW, someone err... very closely connected to the localisation process pretty much confirmed to me about a month before the EU release it was NOE who's responsible for the localisation.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:
Dollarluigi wrote:

I can't give details, but FWIW, someone err... very closely connected to the localisation process pretty much confirmed to me about a month before the EU release it was NOE who's responsible for the localisation.

I would guess that to be the case simply because it didnt look like they changed anything from the europe release to the us one.

Does anyone know how well that game sold? Everyone (including me) thought it would be as big as a normal layton game amd yet i remember at least locally in my area it not even being seen in stores.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

What's a Court Records?

Ash wrote:
Dollarluigi wrote:

Even so, I just wanted to point out the Nintendo was on the localisation of PLvsPWAA. I do find it strange that the US version was pretty much as exactly the same as the version Europe got. What was the point of making America wait so long when they weren't going to make any major changes?
Why am I even here?

A Kirby and AA fan

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Does anyone know how well that game sold? Everyone (including me) thought it would be as big as a normal layton game amd yet i remember at least locally in my area it not even being seen in stores.

From what I recall, it sold worse than a Layton game but better than an Ace Attorney game. That's not too surprising, though.

Dollarluigi wrote:
Even so, I just wanted to point out the Nintendo was on the localisation of PLvsPWAA. I do find it strange that the US version was pretty much as exactly the same as the version Europe got. What was the point of making America wait so long when they weren't going to make any major changes?

Release timing. I think it was too close to another Layton game in the US, so they had to delay to give some room for the Layton game

Nurio wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:

From what I recall, it sold worse than a Layton game but better than an Ace Attorney game. That's not too surprising, though.

Dollarluigi wrote:

Release timing. I think it was too close to another Layton game in the US, so they had to delay to give some room for the Layton game

For some reason Layton 6 was released in (I believe) November of 2013 in Europe and February 2014 in the US so thats why they delayed the release but I'm not sure why they had to delay Layton 6 as (other than replacing british luke for American luke) just like VS the script wasnt "Americanized".
Page 1 of 1 [ 32 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street