Board index » Phoenix Wright » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 8 of 8[ 290 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Re: What do you think of Spirit of Justice?Topic%20Title

I don't know if it would be in my top 3, but it's an okay game nevertheless. I personally prefer GK Yamazaki over main series Yamazaki though, but that's just me.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Two Milkmen Go Comedy

Yamazaki game rankings:AAI2>>SoJ>>>DD>AAI
IMO
Hi,I'm Southern Corn,but you can call me SC. My friends are great,and my enemies irate.

Story CrafterSC's Case Rankings™SC's LinksMysterious QR CodeCountdown to the Apocalypse

What is a quadrilateral with one 90° angle called? PM me the answer. Those who succeed get a free cookie! :cookie:

Calm, pacified attorney

Moddragon22 wrote:
Slammer wrote:
I mean, who would even appreciate something they find stupid and nonsensical?

I really love Monty Python, and that's really stupid and nonsensical.

Monty Python knows exactly how to form a good argument out of all their nonsense though. Typically they have a clear agenda with their skits while these recent games have only gotten murkier and more lost in their own nonsense.
Takumi vs Yamazaki andMissile.

DetectiveTohru

There's so much forced filler dialogue to drag out the story (as in, not dialogue by examining ladders or such, just straight up in-story dialog), feels almost amateurish since it can't get to the point and doesn't really do anything. Andistan'dhin was so freaking hilarious but it's just all around dry so far. I'll continue the game after I finish reading this one Queen book.

I can't remember how Dual Destinies was but I remember how annoying Athena was for sure. This game is just solidifying my opinion how GK2 is the best AA game bar none so far (antagonists, individual and overarching stories). It's about equal to the first and second game at the moment.

Calm, pacified attorney

I somewhat agree except GK2 is not my fav of all games, but better than DD and this overall, but I think on the flipside at least there's a sense of fun in these games that I don't think GK2 plays off quite as well. The problem I had with GK2 is how often characters drone on exactly to dabble in the specifics of the ongoing plot and technically substantiate the ongoing context of the story, but it was a draaaag man. This game drags too to the point where I started zoning out, especially during trials, and DD did this as well but maybe not quite as much, but at least I have a more vivid memory of this game in how colorful and varied it is. Case 2 also ended up being an all-around good case, case 4 was genuinely entertaining and case 5 has really good investigation portions I thought. 3 was a mixed bag for me because it has the GK2-syndrome where characters become way too self-indulgent in the plot for too long segments at a time without a single good joke or quip in between.

Two Milkmen Go Comedy

A lot of Yamazaki games have large moments where I just blank out due to sheer boredom. DD especially, followed by AAI. SoJ has these moments too, but not as many.
Hi,I'm Southern Corn,but you can call me SC. My friends are great,and my enemies irate.

Story CrafterSC's Case Rankings™SC's LinksMysterious QR CodeCountdown to the Apocalypse

What is a quadrilateral with one 90° angle called? PM me the answer. Those who succeed get a free cookie! :cookie:

Calm, pacified attorney

Southern Corn wrote:
A lot of Yamazaki games have large moments where I just blank out due to sheer boredom. DD especially, followed by AAI. SoJ has these moments too, but not as many.

After 4 games I feel that's redundant to even point out. I'd still take another GK2-calibre game any day though. I'd also be cautiously optimistic for a non-AceAttorney Yamazaki game. He was in an interview just recently, probably because he and his GK team has been a big influence in keeping this franchise alive in the last generation but I like to think he's not fully done being in the forefront of games at Capcom. Despite how derivative the plot is in DD and SoJ I still remember both for how they occasionally hit nice strides and how I was genuinely intrigued in moments of the final case about the overarching plot.
I think the grievance I have with his style besides the meandering dialogue is that he talks about how he starts with the twist and builds cases around that, which is good for sparking up a mystery but usually the best writers actually start from the ending and then work their way up to that. Specifically the way cases wrap up is the biggest problem with all games that aren't GK2 I find. It's very hit and miss and usually, for all cases between AA123 I find the catharsis of each case is somewhere around the ending and if not nailing the culprit, it's about the main character of the case getting some kind of reward or life-lesson even when it's cheesy. Sometimes they just skip the hell over all that in AAI-SoJ because too much of the case plot fixated itself solely on how complex the mystery was.

Two Milkmen Go Comedy

Sometimes,never the mysteries can be hit or miss imo. E.g. I-3, I-5, I2-2 and even some parts of 5, 5-2, 5-3, 6-6 and a few others. I feel like he focuses more on the mystery than the characters which in some cases really hurt his games.

DetectiveTohru

Ace Attorney mysteries have never even been that great. On replays they were actually below average, worse than quite a few of the short stories that I've read. They're a far cry from the impossible crimes created by authors such as Carr, Christie, Queen, Chase or the suspense and thrill you get from reading Tartt. By the way Erle Stanley Gardner has his long-running Perry Mason mystery-courtroom novel series. Basically Mason is a defense attorney who does everything in his power for his clients, even send them to jail.

Anyway although the books are amazing, the TV series of Poirot adapted some cases fantastically. Such as the adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express in season 12 episode 3. Directing is out of this world. Though Christie's books are ageless unlike majority of the older adaptations (MotOE has a meh adaptation too) as the final novel, Curtain, hit especially hard, even if the mystery wasn't her best. It's more of a symbolistic novel for the final story.

Calm, pacified attorney

Hatshinit wrote:
Ace Attorney mysteries have never even been that great. On replays they were actually below average, worse than quite a few of the short stories that I've read. They're a far cry from the impossible crimes created by authors such as Carr, Christie, Queen, Chase or the suspense and thrill you get from reading Tartt. By the way Erle Stanley Gardner has his long-running Perry Mason mystery-courtroom novel series. Basically Mason is a defense attorney who does everything in his power for his clients, even send them to jail.

Anyway although the books are amazing, the TV series of Poirot adapted some cases fantastically. Such as the adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express in season 12 episode 3. Directing is out of this world. Though Christie's books are ageless unlike majority of the older adaptations (MotOE has a meh adaptation too) as the final novel, Curtain, hit especially hard, even if the mystery wasn't her best. It's more of a symbolistic novel for the final story.

Thats why I sometimes say I don't think the mysteries were really the highlight of this series. It's more about the stories that come out of them like in Turnabout Goodbyes. That case is something I remember specifically for the drama and emotional payoff moreso than the mystery, but the mysteries are still functional and fun to solve and sometimes surprising. They're not always intriguing just by themselves not even in Yamazaki and co's games, which is why, when those then have a kinda uninteresting character plot they fall really flat for me.
Page 8 of 8 [ 290 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)