Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 4 of 42[ 1676 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next

Re: GS6 IdeasTopic%20Title

Art Person

I doubt this'd ever happen (probably in a spin-off), but I wonder if there'd ever be a case where you had a time limit to investigate, and, as there are only 3 days allowed for a trial, the less you found/the slower you were, the less chance you'd have to complete the case.
(Kinda like if there was one continuous court case, that if you found all evidence in the 1st investigation day, you could play through all at once, although it'd stop at certain times, if you missed evidence. And would take a different direction depending on where you went, and what directions you took.)(This would be like "It starts with working out motive, and then moves to 'weapon' if you have all evidence for that... You can pick?)

They could play with this a lot, and have it so that you can't do all your investigation in day 1, due to blocks etc. That way it'd make it harder, and more intense to make sure you find all the evidence before your time is up.

I guess that's like Majora's mask, only no turning back time (unless Maya gets Ghost-Trick powers, or a new partner could... They'd go there...) and the investigation days wouldn't be so short, and actually feel like you've accomplished something,

I'd like to see someone comment on the fact that prosecutors (and sometimes even murderers!) can control how much penalty you can receive.

That, and/or have your partner go "uh, what does he mean by 'health bar', sir?"

Surf's Up!

I want to see Phoenix Wright vs Klavier Gavin - The rematch.

Art Person

Posting what I said in the GS5 hopes, I'd like to see Ema come back (Or Gummy) and also hope they bring up that "Apollo's father comes back from Egypt" concept they were going to use to explain Apollo's jacket (Only this time, tie it in differently.)

Levi x Tide detergent OTP

Judging by how close Athena and Juniper are, I kinda expect the latter will reappear in some way.
"Girl, shut up and drink my spiked coffee." - Godot AckermanImage

Depends. Larry was close and didn't appear in JFA. Adrian was close and didn't appear since T&T. Penny was close with Maya and... Exactly, who is Penny? Granted she reappears in GK2, but it still doesn't appear to make her any more memorable, anyway.

Sligneris wrote:
Depends. Larry was close and didn't appear in JFA. Adrian was close and didn't appear since T&T. Penny was close with Maya and... Exactly, who is Penny? Granted she reappears in GK2, but it still doesn't appear to make her any more memorable, anyway.

...Who?

Racing through the sky like a Missile

fourtrass wrote:
Judging by how close Athena and Juniper are, I kinda expect the latter will reappear in some way.

Sligneris wrote:

Aw, I like Penny... too bad ever since the first game, she's always been labeled as "staff" (yes, that's how she's called in the Jap vers) or "that one Steel Samurai fangirl".

Anyway, it's hard to say even with these examples. Larry's an exception to a lot of things, so never mind him. Adrian and Penny, on the other hand, are more case-centric characters. They were first introduced when Nick was on some sort of case, and thus don't have much roles as support besides being involved in an incident in some way. Unless there's a specific reason for them to reappear (GS3-2), or if they're just random cameos that have some interaction around the crime scene (GK2-5), they won't.

Juniper is the only character thus far to become a suspect/defendant of two cases in one game. I'd prefer the team doesn't take it any further, but they could turn it into a running gag. Otherwise, I don't see her doing much else besides following Apollo everywhere... erm, not as an assistant character, mind you.

As much as I'd like more background from Apollo, I highly doubt Daichi will be reappearing again either, for certain reasons. However, if the space center crew makes another appearance next game, I will be delighted.

Captain Segway is a hero. <= This is now a meme.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I can't wait to meet Segway in the english version xD! I love his character animations.
Spoiler: case 4
I hope he says "Through infinity, and BEYOND!" in his breakdown. That would be so dumb but hilarious if it happened

But anyway, I just really, and I mean really hope they bring in the Gramarye plotline/references to it into GS6 or at least something with Thalassa because it would just be such an opportunity to make Apollo even more memorable and at the end of the day he could become a deeper character than Phoenix was.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Spoiler:
I don't think he'd say something like that during his breakdown, but definitely during his introduction.

If the team on GS6 can pull off a trilogy round-up of the Apollo arc, I will applaud them. However, I don't want them to force the focus on the Gramarye line if they have other plans ready. After DD, the storyline is sort of at a standstill, as if the developers have decided to watch how the fans react before continuing the course.

In any case, I can't stress it enough that the Jurist System should return. The Dark Age of Law has ended; shouldn't it be about time to implement whatever Phoenix and Edgeworth had been planning to set in place since AJ? If not, then they give a good reason why it couldn't be implemented... perhaps by the hindrance of a government conspiracy run by Larry, as I mentioned before? I'm still waiting on my corrupt judge idea to come to light; surprised it hasn't been brought up in any of these games yet.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

But didn't the Jurist system get a negative reception in japan? IIRC Japanese fans of the franchise kinda boo-ed ad it and wrote it off as "western propaganda". Phoenix even said something like "That's how they do it in America" in the japanese version or something like that.

迷探偵

I'd guess that negative reception would have come from the way it was implemented in the game; not the system itself. I for one doubt that a majority of people would write it off as 'Western progaganda', as it was implemented in the game because of the Lay Judge system in Japan (which in itself is completely different from the jury trial system in the United States). In fact, Japan used to have a jury trial system too, before WWII. Oh, and I recently replayed GS4-4, but that comment of Phoenix is very neutral; it's just introduce the subject to Apollo and Trucy (in the sense of, 'you heard about it right, like on TV....'. Nothing like 'we need to copy America because they're so awesome~').

Oh, the DS game Yuuzai X Muzai (Guilty X Innocent) might be interesting for those who wonder what a game played from a viewpoint of a lay judge may be. It's a bit... bland and boring because it's quite serious, but on the other hand quite informative.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Sounds like it wouldn't be a risk to put it back in the series after all then. I would really like to see it because I think it has potential for some memorable situations. It could go to show how initially rusty the system would be, since I think by the way it was presented in AJ it could be manipulated a lot by the wrongdoers just as before when attorneys like Manfred, Miles and Kristoph were faking evidence. I kinda thought of the Jurist system as it was introduced in AJ as being a fetus that still needed months of nutrition before it would actually be ready to come into the real world. They could present some really serious themes and issues of society etc. through it.

Ash wrote:
I'd guess that negative reception would have come from the way it was implemented in the game; not the system itself. I for one doubt that a majority of people would write it off as 'Western progaganda', as it was implemented in the game because of the Lay Judge system in Japan (which in itself is completely different from the jury trial system in the United States). In fact, Japan used to have a jury trial system too, before WWII. Oh, and I recently replayed GS4-4, but that comment of Phoenix is very neutral; it's just introduce the subject to Apollo and Trucy (in the sense of, 'you heard about it right, like on TV....'. Nothing like 'we need to copy America because they're so awesome~').

Oh, the DS game Yuuzai X Muzai (Guilty X Innocent) might be interesting for those who wonder what a game played from a viewpoint of a lay judge may be. It's a bit... bland and boring because it's quite serious, but on the other hand quite informative.

Ah, so that was what was implemented in the Japanese judicial system in 2009. I knew AJ took a controversial stance with including something that could be considered "reform promotion" - whether it was intentional or not, who knows - but I didn't think its sales would really be affected. It's not like the bench trial system in-game is supposed to match with any actual judicial system in the first place; it's a parody on legal procedures and a crime drama.
But I do wonder why Phoenix went to Germerica before DD; maybe he is secretly a fan

I did a quick search and found the promo trailer for that game. It's well presented and interesting at first glance for fans of courtroom drama, but I can see why it'd be so boring: the characters. It's supposed to take a more serious view than say, whatever the heck happens in GS, but by taking out such a potentially colorful aspect, it tends to dull down a lot of things.

迷探偵

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
But I do wonder why Phoenix went to Germerica before DD; maybe he is secretly a fan

I've only played the game once, so I don't remember the details, but was that visit really set (right) before DD? Because I sorta filed it away in my head as a trip to the States to prepare for the jurist trial (i.e. a trip during GS4).

Quote:
I did a quick search and found the promo trailer for that game. It's well presented and interesting at first glance for fans of courtroom drama, but I can see why it'd be so boring: the characters. It's supposed to take a more serious view than say, whatever the heck happens in GS, but by taking out such a potentially colorful aspect, it tends to dull down a lot of things.

It's not really the characters actually. I've only played the first case now, but every member of the jury was quite well defined, each with their own beliefs and stuff, you know, like in Twelve Angry Man (or the more hilarious Twelve Gentle Japanese). But the flow of the game isn't really exciting. In the first case for example you have to decide whether a fire (with a victim) was an accident, or murder. After the witness testimonies, you basically discuss several facets of the case with the other members, each time deciding whether facet X points to accident or murder... But you basically never know whether you're right or wrong until the very end and the flow of these dialogues isn't really 'going anywhere'. You're not really unraveling a mystery, but really examining a case and deciding whether someone is guilty or not. It's more of a simulator, than a mystery game.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

1000% Knight

Ash wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

I've only played the game once, so I don't remember the details, but was that visit really set (right) before DD? Because I sorta filed it away in my head as a trip to the States to prepare for the jurist trial (i.e. a trip during GS4).

Didn't Athena become a lawyer because of her meeting with Nick? Assuming she didn't get her badge in a few months, which Athena could do because she's a MARY SUE (aaaa don't kill me), I think Nick's visit to Germerica was before GS4.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Ash wrote:
It's not really the characters actually. I've only played the first case now, but every member of the jury was quite well defined, each with their own beliefs and stuff, you know, like in Twelve Angry Man (or the more hilarious Twelve Gentle Japanese). But the flow of the game isn't really exciting. In the first case for example you have to decide whether a fire (with a victim) was an accident, or murder. After the witness testimonies, you basically discuss several facets of the case with the other members, each time deciding whether facet X points to accident or murder... But you basically never know whether you're right or wrong until the very end and the flow of these dialogues isn't really 'going anywhere'. You're not really unraveling a mystery, but really examining a case and deciding whether someone is guilty or not. It's more of a simulator, than a mystery game.

...I stand corrected. It's even worse than I gave it credit for. Ah well, I'm not saying it's so terrible, but if a game feels more like a simulator than an actual game, it doesn't give me high hopes.

If the lay judge system is incorporated into a future GS game, I hope they won't leave the lay judges as if they're extra members of the gallery. This is a problem I've had ever since I've played the first game: if there's already a gallery to represent opinion of the public, what will the jury / lay judges do that's different, aside from coming to a consensus on the final verdict? In GS4, they were practically nonexistent until the very end when the camera zooms out of the room.

Bad Player wrote:
Didn't Athena become a lawyer because of her meeting with Nick? Assuming she didn't get her badge in a few months, which Athena could do because she's a MARY SUE (aaaa don't kill me), I think Nick's visit to Germerica was before GS4.

Mary Sue opinion detected; launching EMP missile strike in 5, 4, 3...
It wasn't explained clearly in-game, so I'm guessing here. Apparently, he helped Athena in her studies or something, but whatever they were up to, neither one would have had an attorney's badge. They couldn't have been involved in a case, so how would they have met at all? Was he invited to some place as a VIP guest? That's the only reasonable explanation I can think of. I highly doubt it was a random meeting at a bus stop. It also explains why he didn't bring Maya and Pearl along (because if it was just a vacation, they'd pounce on the opportunity to join him).

迷探偵

I myself find it hard to come up with a good way to implement the lay judge system effectively in GS though. In the end, GS is a detective game, meaning you have to arrive at the truth/find the murderer. Playing/influencing the jury like in GS4-4 is, I assume, a one time thing, because it takes away from the whole arriving-the-truth thing; if no matter what you do, the final decision is made by a unpredictable jury, well, that's not really motivating, nor does it work as a mystery game.

One point lies in where you want the acting detective to be. Twelve Angry Men/Twelve Gentle Japanese (seriously great movie. Based on a theater play by Mitani Kouki, creator of Furuhata Ninzaburou. Episode 2-1 was actually an enormous influence of the GS series) placed the 'detective' role within the lay judges, while more traditional courtroom dramas have him as defense/prosecution/judge. In GS, the detective has to be the defense, but that leaves little to do for the lay judges (as they wouldn't be more than extensions of the usual judge). Corruption among the lay judges wouldn't be visible to the defense either, so I doubt it would work well in a GS game as a plot device (it's more like a GK plot, I think).

One might consider going with a point system, with 'winning' a X amount of testimonies allowing you to win. So besides a penalty bar, you'd have something like a goodwill bar. But such a game wouldn't be GS anymore, as the whole flow of storytelling would change, again taking away from the sense of solving everything and arriving at the truth (as it would become optional). Don't forget, GS is not conceived as a courtroom drama game; it's a mystery game, that happens to have taken the form of a courtroom drama. It needs give closure on the mystery.

A scenario I could come up with is having Naruhodo being summoned as a lay judge though. As I understand the US system, the jury there basically just watches the prosecution and defense's arguments, right? In Japan, the lay judges have investigative rights (like the 'real' judges), meaning they may examine witnesses and ask for additional information. You could have a scenario where Naruhodo would have arguments a la GK with fellow judges and then ending in a way more closer to traditional GS.

Ash wrote:
Playing/influencing the jury like in GS4-4 is, I assume, a one time thing, because it takes away from the whole arriving-the-truth thing; if no matter what you do, the final decision is made by a unpredictable jury, well, that's not really motivating, nor does it work as a mystery game.

The jury isn't quite supposed to be unpredictable, though, and if it was, it'd be cause for a separate investigation itself... useful as the intro to a playable case.

Quote:
Corruption among the lay judges wouldn't be visible to the defense either, so I doubt it would work well in a GS game as a plot device (it's more like a GK plot, I think).

Investigating into an investigation... we need to go deeper

Quote:
One might consider going with a point system, with 'winning' a X amount of testimonies allowing you to win. So besides a penalty bar, you'd have something like a goodwill bar. But such a game wouldn't be GS anymore, as the whole flow of storytelling would change, again taking away from the sense of solving everything and arriving at the truth (as it would become optional).

Exactly why I'm against a rating or point system of any sort in this game; it doesn't do anything more to make the game more enjoyable. If we could add in something new, a timed system would up the ante, so we wouldn't have all the time in the world to present evidence because people can get impatient. Logic Chess would have been much more interesting if it wasn't just choosing answers from options from responses from questions...

Quote:
A scenario I could come up with is having Naruhodo being summoned as a lay judge though. As I understand the US system, the jury there basically just watches the prosecution and defense's arguments, right? In Japan, the lay judges have investigative rights (like the 'real' judges), meaning they may examine witnesses and ask for additional information. You could have a scenario where Naruhodo would have arguments a la GK with fellow judges and then ending in a way more closer to traditional GS.

Well, the juries in the US are allowed to question the witnesses and defendants, but only during trial and the questions have to have clearance from the judge. If the prosecution and defense do their jobs right, they usually wouldn't need to. Nonetheless, the jurists have no involvement in the official investigations, so they go into a trial "blind", essentially.

...But in that case, we might as well go with a GS beginning-to-end. What starts off as a normal case where he's a spectator turns into something extraordinary when he decides to defend the defendant himself and argues for an appeal of the trial. Heh, it'd be a pretty interesting case to play: Gyakuten Gakeppuchi.

迷探偵

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Exactly why I'm against a rating or point system of any sort in this game; it doesn't do anything more to make the game more enjoyable. If we could add in something new, a timed system would up the ante, so we wouldn't have all the time in the world to present evidence because people can get impatient. Logic Chess would have been much more interesting if it wasn't just choosing answers from options from responses from questions...

The idea of Logic Chess was good though, but it should be a bit more free. Professor Layton VS GS had parts where you could use a witness statement on another statement, right? A more extensive version of that would have made Logic Chess much more challenging. Danganronpa for example does that quite well, allowing you store any statement, to use on another statement in the same cycle (either to confront somebody, or to back up a claim).

And two smaller points that might be fun to make the investigation parts a bit more interesting: optional partners and quizzes! Allowing you to choose who you bring along allows for different conversations/slightly more replayability. And while I wasn't a big fan of the quiz DLC, why not hide the quizzes Layton-style in the background (and give back the option to investigate every scene while they're at it)? A bit of optional content that doesn't really intrude on the story, but adds a bit of playtime.

Though I still hope they'll come with a zapping system to fully utilize the fact they have 3 attornies now.

Dangan Ronpa had plenty of intriguing gameplay concepts, and they didn't detract from the mystery side of it at all (though some of the activities were rather strange to be in a mystery game: shoot-and-match, rhythm, etc). I'm even more impressed with its sequel for the one-on-one word battles. Certainly, most of them wouldn't fit into GS, but I'm especially fond of the Climax Inference section. They could include some way to make the "announcing the truth" part of the trial more interactive. All I've seen from those moments using interactivity is selecting answers from some given options.

I love the idea of optional partners. We need more father-daughter interaction between Nick and Trucy. And while random quizzes around the screen would be rather strange, I guess the agency could have its share of quiz-fanatic lurkers (thanks to the publicity from the DL Quiz events in DD, haha). They could even add a subtle reference to his adventures with Professor Layton, for the heck of it.

Geebus, what is this game coming to? I'm not sure who's scarier: the murderous criminals or the quiz-fanatic stalkers. It'd be darn hilarious to meet a Phoenix Wright fangirl for once, though.

迷探偵

I hated the one-on-one arguments in Super Danganronpa 2; the concept was definitely good, but I sucked at the mechanic itself (cutting words with the analog nub) ^_^' I am still not sure whether I really like Climax Inference as a system. I love the presentation and it does help summarize the case one last time, but it often also means a sudden stop in the rhythm of the trial, and I often wonder whether it was really needed to go over the case one more time.

Optional partners were a strange addition to the DS adventure games of Detective Conan. There was an element of dating sim there, with certain partners / certain dialogue choices giving you special events, but that's not really needed in GS... Oh, and they could just present the quizes as Chihiro's old files / current cases discussed in the newspapers etc. (the old trope of the master detective easily solving cases as he peruses the morning newspaper...).

I realize it'd be more useful during specific situations and shouldn't be used in every case. Still, the games could go for a little more interactivity while keeping a strong air of mystery. I liked the concept of Thought Route, but besides the colorful animations, it's essentially choosing more answers from options. Because it's not something meant to be difficult, there'd be little point to giving penalties.

I thought the original concept of Logic Chess was brilliant. That was before I learned that the trailer was just cheating me, though. Yet, a mental chess battle with an opponent - utilizing evidence into your battle strategy - would fit nicely into the flow of trials. Normally, it'd be a battle between the lawyers, but sometimes, the witnesses-turned-culprits would have several tricks up their sleeves. In several of Nick's cases, the criminals could have gotten away if they hadn't slipped up right at the end. I'd like more intense trial battles like those.

We certainly don't need dating sims in GS; we already have the fanbase for that. I'm just asking for more (unique) interaction with characters that don't seem to have as much to do during an investigation. They may not help much, but that's beside the point. (And for some reason, they so often seem to find these random quizzes for the playable character to answer. "Where are they getting these things!?" would fit right in.) It's a whole load more of optional dialogue, but it's those sorts of things that make these games so interesting.

迷探偵

[quote="Rubia Silve Ryu"In several of Nick's cases, the criminals could have gotten away if they hadn't slipped up right at the end. I'd like more intense trial battles like those.[/quote]

Watching a let's play of GS1 reminded me, I want more scenarios like GS1-5, with an end-game where you make use of the law to capture the criminal. I still consider it one of the best moments of the whole series and really made it feel like a courtroom drama.

I absolutely love this let's play of GS by the way. Some of the ideas わにゃ子 gets are freakin hilarious. 'Sniper Karma' should say enough.

If I had a request for scenario designs it would be "stay on the ground". The case premises in GK2 and Dual Destinies are OUT THERE, pretty bizzare and outrageous but I don't really dig that. GS1 had some really natural settings where just something like "the murder took place inside the police department!" made you go "WTF". Now it's been topped by outright ridiculous things like "A monster killed him" or that friggin
Spoiler:
robot rebellion

Especially now that you mention GS1-5 it just came to mind. I like cases that are outrageous, but still sound realistic in premise while taking place in usual surroundings. The more detective-mystery-ish it gets during investigations the better IMO.

Well, murder in an academy is not all that surprising. Or at least, just as surprising as a actor acting a hero killing the one playing the villain in the same children's show.

Or murder at the pastry shop being just as ridiculous as a murder in circus.

I don't know, I just don't see your point here.

Ash wrote:
Watching a let's play of GS1 reminded me, I want more scenarios like GS1-5, with an end-game where you make use of the law to capture the criminal. I still consider it one of the best moments of the whole series and really made it feel like a courtroom drama.

I absolutely love this let's play of GS by the way. Some of the ideas わにゃ子 gets are freakin hilarious. 'Sniper Karma' should say enough.

The end of Yomigaeru was one of the best endings to a case ever, right up there with getting that one prick a proper guilty verdict. If only it hadn't dragged around the 2nd day of investigation - which was one of the longer and windier roads among many other case investigations - I would have ranked it pretty high on my favorites list.

I remember わにゃ子, but I previously saw only the first few videos of her playthrough and stopped at the end of the first case. She took so long through the first case, I thought I would fall asleep sometimes. (I'll assume that the recording issues are only in the beginning.) As a commentator, though, she's solid. I love the jokes she throws in, and she always keeps that optimistic attitude through out. I'll peek on ahead later.

Meanwhile, I had been following インセー on Nico through his plays of GS1 - 3 on the GBA. This guy's pretty hilarious too and another great commentator, always keeping his audience prepped for more. Like with わにゃ子, sometimes he'd get on my nerves too, but I think it's more because of my own impatience. I've played through the games so many times that I can't "unsee" the line of logic the games take.

Is it me, or has Nico updated the presentation style of Mylists? It's pretty smooth and I like it, but it could take a little getting used to.

迷探偵

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
I remember わにゃ子, but I previously saw only the first few videos of her playthrough and stopped at the end of the first case. She took so long through the first case, I thought I would fall asleep sometimes. (I'll assume that the recording issues are only in the beginning.) As a commentator, though, she's solid. I love the jokes she throws in, and she always keeps that optimistic attitude through out. I'll peek on ahead later.

She's not the brightest Ace Attorney you'll see, which means some segments take ages, but she never gives up and some of her 迷推理 are absolutely fantastic (especially if you actually know/understand the story as the game is trying to feed you. Suggesting at the end of 3-4 that Diego might be arrested now for serving poison in the coffee is hilarious). And there are one or two segments where the Wiimote saves the day! (think that's in GS3 though).

Quote:
Is it me, or has Nico updated the presentation style of Mylists? It's pretty smooth and I like it, but it could take a little getting used to.

Not just the mylists, but practically the whole layout as far as I know. It's a bit slower and more chaotic now in my opinion...

Oh, and my favorite 実況者 of detective games: 南風's Kamaitachi no Yoru 2 and Kamaitachi no Yoru X3 (Her normal voice is exactly like Takayami Minami (Edogawa Conan, Envy etc.), she's quite sharp and most importantly, she's an amazing commentator, really fast in connecting things and absolutely hilarious) and レトルト's Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo - Hoshimitou Kanashimi no Fukushuuki, Detective Conan & Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo, Eurasia Express Satsujin Jiken (and more!) (not as bright, but definitely a very funny commentator).

1000% Knight

linkenski wrote:
If I had a request for scenario designs it would be "stay on the ground". The case premises in GK2 and Dual Destinies are OUT THERE, pretty bizzare and outrageous but I don't really dig that. GS1 had some really natural settings where just something like "the murder took place inside the police department!" made you go "WTF". Now it's been topped by outright ridiculous things like "A monster killed him" or that friggin
Spoiler:
robot rebellion

Especially now that you mention GS1-5 it just came to mind. I like cases that are outrageous, but still sound realistic in premise while taking place in usual surroundings. The more detective-mystery-ish it gets during investigations the better IMO.

I agree that
Spoiler: 5-5
the robot rebellion
was a pretty awkward and unrealistic plot device, but that's more part of the story than the mystery, I think. I have to admit that I love mystery scenarios where the obvious/only conclusion is something crazy and supernatural. ("A monster stepped on him!" "The sealed demon was freed and killed him!")

It's only really the first game that had "normal" murder locations. I mean, JFA had one case in a spirit channeling village and another at a circus. Is that really so much worse than what we got in GK2 and AA5?

...wait, why am I spoiler tagging

I guess the reason I didn't think of it when we visited Kurain was because by then you'd accepted spirit channeling as part of the lore (Note, I played the series completely cronologically so far) and a murder at a circus isn't exactly "unnatural" to put it bluntly. Having the "killed by a monster!" premise is a big meta/unwilling suspend of disbelief for me but I agree it still adds to the mystery aspect... though maybe I think it's a really easy and cheap way to create a mystery because part of what I consider to be the talent in writing a story is when the artist can create all sorts of mysteries and storytelling while keeping it confined to the boundaries he initially created.

I'll reserve judgement until I get to play both GK2 and GS5 to the end myself though. I can see why some find it intriguing... I'm just not completely sold on it, at least not at first.

Aw, man. I wish I had more time, or I'd try every one of Ash's suggestions. わにゃわにゃわにゃ・・・ぽん!

linkenski wrote:
Having the "killed by a monster!" premise is a big meta/unwilling suspend of disbelief for me but I agree it still adds to the mystery aspect... though maybe I think it's a really easy and cheap way to create a mystery because part of what I consider to be the talent in writing a story is when the artist can create all sorts of mysteries and storytelling while keeping it confined to the boundaries he initially created.

Well, I don't disagree with you on that, but Ace Attorney is a game series that continuously breaks previous boundaries, so to keep things within those temporary "confines" is kind of a moot point.
Now if Yamazaki would stop relying on set patterns/formulas as the structure - instead of just as the basis - of his cases, he could potentially top a lot of Takumi's works.

I could imagine a concern Yamazaki has is that he has to meet fans expectations, and some of his ideas are out there xD, so he keeps himself tied up with rules like "If my own logic is too far-fetched, there's always the plan B" so he ends up sticking to the formula because it's based on Shu Takumi's way of thinking and to be fair, that's still kinda what all the longtime fans still expect.

...or maybe he has some creative blocks that prevent him from finding his own solutions in certain situations.

1000% Knight

linkenski wrote:
Having the "killed by a monster!" premise is a big meta/unwilling suspend of disbelief for me but I agree it still adds to the mystery aspect... though maybe I think it's a really easy and cheap way to create a mystery because part of what I consider to be the talent in writing a story is when the artist can create all sorts of mysteries and storytelling while keeping it confined to the boundaries he initially created.

Spirit channeling has been a staple of the series since the first game, so I'm not sure how doing 'supernatural' stuff like death-by-monster is really overstepping the boundaries xP

Even then, the monster theory is never seriously considered (by Edgeworth). A situation in which a monster crushed the victim to death? Okay, that's weird. A situation in which the victim appears to have been crushed to death by a monster? Wow, that's a really crazy and interesting mystery.

At least for me, as long as the investigation and solution stay within the bounds of reality, I really don't care how crazy the scenario is. (In fact, the crazier the better! Impossible crimes are best crimes. ^_^)

And yeah (I know I've said this at least 100 times by now in various places on the forum, I'm sorry for being a broken record), GS5 mysteries were really really great, but the plot as a whole was really held back by the fact that the story was so formulaic (for AA).

Bad Player wrote:
At least for me, as long as the investigation and solution stay within the bounds of reality, I really don't care how crazy the scenario is. (In fact, the crazier the better! Impossible crimes are best crimes. ^_^)

For some time, I've imagined a case with a parachutist as a victim. The cause of death: shot in the forehead.

I'm not sure how I came upon this inane idea in the first place, but I figured a crime featured out in the open countryside would be interesting. Imagine that the culprit would have mysteriously disappeared at some point. The plane had only one usable parachute at the time of the crime, and the pilot makes a secure landing after dropping off the parachutist. When the body is discovered, the police question and arrest the pilot; yet he's not the culprit. So, where did that culprit go?

...I suppose this could work as a pretty good standalone case. I've even figured out a way for this crime to become "possible". Either that, or it's fanfiction fuel. Whichever works.

迷探偵

The dead parachutist is actually a relatively popular trope among impossible crime writers (together with his brother the dead diver). Off the top of my head, I can think of at least three different stories I've read/seen in just the last two years.

I kinda miss the grand turnabout moments in cases. I don't mean in the flow of the trial, but when you discover that everything is the other way around. Many people seem to think 1-3 is a bit meh for example, but of the whole original game, I think it represents the theme turnabout the best. Because the gameplay is focused on contradictions, you'll always have a slight feeling of turning around the case, but 1-3 had it on a much larger level. 3-3 is also a good example. 5-2 had something similar (but the basic idea is the same as 1-3), but I wish there were more of these cases.

1000% Knight

Hmm... I think GS5 had a lot of that sort of thing, actually.
Spoiler: GS5
Case 1: The message written by Polly was actually written by Kaku
Case 2: When Yumemi went into the room, the "Deemon" she was was actually Biyouin
Case 3: The crime took place on the stage! No wait, it actually took place in the art room! ..................nvm, it was the stage.
Case 4: They had the whole thing with the identity of the astronaut in the photo, and also with the two sections of the space center rotating around.
Case 5: ......ok this one was boring

I think 5-3 did it really well, at the very least.

It's one thing to follow a trope; it's another thing to expand on it. I realize how commonly used that concept is, but this is the AA universe. Surely there would be much more to it than just that. In any case, I'd just like a case where the setting isn't stuck in the city.

...And then it turns out that the real setting is in the city after all. Ouch, that hurt!

GS5-3 definitely won the "turnabout" category. If they switched scenes anymore, though, that would be pushing it. Oh yeah, there was also
Spoiler: Turnabout Reclaimed
when the defendant and witness were switched.

迷探偵

Oh, I am not saying the dead parachutist is a overdone trope, just that I've come across it a lot of times lately. One was just a few weeks ago on TV... (Heck, if I'd just think trope usage an sich would be bad, I wouldn't be reading detective novels!).

Hmm, I see what you're getting at with 5-3 and my choice of words might've been a bit bad, but 5-3 was less of a 逆転, and indeed more like a (road) turnabout. With 1-3, I think of a situation that was turned around: the roles of murderer/victim, the murder scene. Finding out that those who couldn't have done it, were actually the only ones who could have done it. The movement in 5-3 (which I did enjoy by the way), is to me more like a circle...[/worst explanation ever]. Like I said, because of the set-up of the gameplay, most cases necessary have an element of turnabout/逆転, but few cases have it as good as 1-3 IMHO (I am not saying this just about GS5, but about the whole series by the way).

Yeah, I gotcha the first time. 1-3 is still a lovable classic for me, regardless of how many times I go through it. It was the first of several times in the series when the view of the case had to be turned around. Case 2-4 is also a favorite of mine for the same reason - that is, near the end with presenting evidence to someone outside the courtroom. It's become a question less about "how" the biggest turnabout in a case will be presented, and more about how it will "apply" in the case. I mean that as the situation when one doesn't expect a turnabout within a turnabout. Turnabout composition... composite turnabouts...

f(turnabout) = x^(2a) + bx + c, where x represents the value of turnabout, a is based on length of a case, b depends on location, and c accounts for excesses. All variables range from - to +.

:nick-sweat: ...How did we get into math?
:notes: Isn't math like a kind of logic in the first place?
:maya: Wow, what a turnabout in perspective, huh?
:nick: Neither of you are helping.

I prefer to not expect much, but if they keep on this path of using old characters in new games, I'd like if they picked them carefully. Many old characters can bring something new and show good personality change after 7 or 8 years, but many old characters are outworn. The first trilogy focused so much on Maya's story and on the Fey clan that I don't think there's nothing fresh to develop about it. Plus, some characters don't have any connection to the law world besides being Phoenix's friends. If the old character is a prosecutor or at least a detective that's okay, I can see why they can put him/she there, but otherwise...
Page 4 of 42 [ 1676 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)