Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 1 of 1[ 20 posts ]

[SPOILERS] Siliconera GS6 Hands-OnTopic%20Title

Apollon Flame

Quote:
Ace Attorney 6 Hands-On: Phoenix Wright And Spirit Medium Vision

Off in a small corner of the Monster Hunter Festa event in Nagoya was a demo corner for upcoming CAPCOM games, including the new Ace Attorney game – aptly named Ace Attorney 6. I was eager to see what the game’s new setting had to offer, so I rushed off to wait in line and try my hand at the demo. Here’s what I saw.

The game begins with Phoenix talking to a happy, seemingly worry-free Bokuto Tsuani, a priest in training revealed back at the Tokyo Game Show in September. Phoenix recalls how when he first met Bokuto, the conditions were much more dire – and in classic Ace Attorney fashion, you are sent back to re-live a trial where you are his only line of defense against the lawyer-less Kurain justice system. Gaspen Payne, who fled to Kurain after years of shameful prosecutions in Japan, is now the country’s best prosecutor.

Bokuto has been accused of killing one Mima Waruhito, who died of blunt trauma to the head, in sacred chambers (in this case a treasure room) restricted to members of the Kurain Royal Family. If he’s not going to get grilled for murder, Payne at least wants to catch him in his own lie and nail him on charges of trespassing. Phoenix knows more about the situation than the player though, constantly asking himself why Bokuto is lying about not being at the scene – and in that, you find contradiction that seems to condemn him.

Payne produces a newspaper article in which a black and white photo of the sacred chamber’s treasure box, which only members of the Kurain Royal Family may lay eyes on makes the front page. This sends Bokuto into a panic, who states that he knows he wasn’t supposed to enter the chamber and that he’d never seen “that box with the green Kurain family crest.” Green, you say? That’s quite a specific detail for a black and white photo. OBJECTION!

This proves that he was in the treasure room…but the conditions of the murder are still unclear. Enter Lefya, the Princess Medium of Kurain, known in its courts as the Oracle of Spirits.

Bokuto constantly asks Phoenix not to say his name – as doing so causes him to experience considerable pain. It seems that this pain is somehow connected to his underdeveloped medium powers – so Lefya steps in to do some legwork. After a stern warning that “this country has no need for lawyers,” (seemingly insulted by the fact that Phoenix is ‘bending the truth’) she performs a holy dance and channels the victim’s spirit to display his final moments in the Water Mirror at the court room’s center.

This Spirit Medium Vision is Ace Attorney 6’s new spiritual and grim mini-game. On the bottom screen there are a number of tabs – each represent a moment of the victim’s final memories. Much like how emotions became stronger and weaker during certain sections of testimony in Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies’ Mood Matrix sections, experiences tied to your five senses like “hearing” and “smell” disappear or reappear during sections of these memories.

You can pause these moments with L, or speed them up with Y and A if you wish. The goal is to identify a moment where the senses betray the testimony or the memory itself – but only just as I started this mini-game were we pulled away from the demo. It was left wondering at what moment “A young boy’s voice, a ceremonial song,” or “the smell of incense” contradicted what I understood of the case.

Post-Demo Impressions

Moving away from the demo itself, I want to mention a few things the new setting had me thinking about.

Though we’ve seen Apollo in the previews, Phoenix has no consulting partner at the beginning of the game. As in other games, when the player goes through the witness’s entire testimony without presenting evidence, Phoenix (or whoever you control) briefly gather themselves and vaguely guide the player on how to proceed. In Ace Attorney 6, after hearing all of Bokuto’s testimony, Phoenix laments over not having anybody to consult. The game puts particular emphasis on this point.

Kurain may be Maya’s bloodline, but, the state of the country is in fact an antithesis to her character in the original trilogy: Maya understands the limitations of her powers, knowing full well that the famous Kurain channeling technique, as well as items like the Magatama that reveal Psyche Locks, require equal parts law to be in balance. In Kurain, however, that logic is backwards – the powers here are so great, they are above law.
It seems like Phoenix presents more of a problem in this country, to the point where he is almost an enemy – even to the judge – and with the Mystic Vision power only able to recall the final moments of the dead, could there be manipulation at work for those who understand the Kurain family’s powers? Moreover, does questioning those powers have consequences? How will Kurain be affected by the realization that Lefya’s powers are not absolute?

The game’s undertone is law, but its cornerstone is logic and perception.

With Apollo taking the stand alone in the preview, and Phoenix being alone in the demo, it seems Mr. Wright might be taking on something just a little out of his league. He might even need his own spirit medium of his own to help.

Also, on the note of the first victim’s name, it’s a reference to the Sanskrit word मीमांसा or Mimasa, a school of Hindu Philosophy whose name literally means “Investigation.” In a photo of the crime scene, Mima is shown holding a scroll, and dressed ever so slightly like a thief. There is much more to the trial than 15 minutes could have given.

Source: Siliconera

From what I could understanding concerning the Spirit Vision, it seems like it's a real-time Mood Matrix where you need to find a contradiction between conflicting words/verbs relating to the situation the dead person is remembering. Which sounds interesting: we go from cross-examining a parrot, to cross-examining the dead...! :beef:
A King

in name

alone...
Re: [SPOILERS] Siliconera GS6 Hands-OnTopic%20Title

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Siliconera wrote:
In Ace Attorney 6, after hearing all of Bokuto’s testimony, Phoenix laments over not having anybody to consult. The game puts particular emphasis on this point.

Especially because they put emphasis on this point, I get the feeling Phoenix won't be alone for the entirety of his trip in Kurain, but I'm honestly curious to see if he faces through another trial all by himself and how this new team will handle his character.

Quote:
Also, on the note of the first victim’s name, it’s a reference to the Sanskrit word मीमांसा or Mimasa, a school of Hindu Philosophy whose name literally means “Investigation.”

Nice. I'd also point out how silly the name sounds in Japanese, lit. "patrol person", though by the way the name is broken up, the last name also sounds like "bad person". This victim was not a good patrol guy, I see.

Scent wrote:
From what I could understanding concerning the Spirit Vision, it seems like it's a real-time Mood Matrix where you need to find a contradiction between conflicting words/verbs relating to the situation the dead person is remembering. Which sounds interesting: we go from cross-examining a parrot, to cross-examining the dead...! :beef:

Actually, we already cross-examined a dead person once. It was pretty cool and no one questioned it.

Based on fan feedback, I wonder how difficult the demo was, and if the UI behind Spirit Vision played a part in it. Seems like these guys didn't bring up any questions about difficulty.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Mia Payne

I do like how they're actually bringing contradictions that hinder the defendant back, I miss those. I also like how Phoenix *GASP* questions why his defendant lied to him!

Also I like how it sounds that the court, even the Judge is super aggressive towards "This dude who came into the court and screwed our system up" because THAT WOULD BE THE NATURAL REACTION. They wouldn't trust him and be hostile.

Apollon Flame

Quote:
Especially because they put emphasis on this point, I get the feeling Phoenix won't be alone for the entirety of his trip in Kurain, but I'm honestly curious to see if he faces through another trial all by himself and how this new team will handle his character.

Has Phoenix ever been alone in a trial? I can't remember... But yeah, I'm thinking the defendant you save might accompany you throughout your journey across the Kingdom of Kurain, seeing as how Nick would need some local help to get around in an unknown land. And Bokuto seems like the type of "eternally grateful" sort of character. xD

Quote:
Actually, we already cross-examined a dead person once. It was pretty cool and no one questioned it.

Yeah. I just remembered. :basil:
A King

in name

alone...

Blizdi wrote:
Also I like how it sounds that the court, even the Judge is super aggressive towards "This dude who came into the court and screwed our system up" because THAT WOULD BE THE NATURAL REACTION. They wouldn't trust him and be hostile.

True, though I think it's heavily suggested that in this country they hate defense attorneys with a passion. It might be one reason why Nick was so hesitant about revealing that he was one at first, but then Bokuto got into this mess and had to step in. And then I suspect Payne revels in revealing his identity because he would.

Scent wrote:
Quote:

Has Phoenix ever been alone in a trial? I can't remember... But yeah, I'm thinking the defendant you save might accompany you throughout your journey across the Kingdom of Kurain, seeing as how Nick would need some local help to get around in an unknown land. And Bokuto seems like the type of "eternally grateful" sort of character. xD

Yep, his second trial, ep 2-2. Maya wasn't standing with him.

As much as I have come to love this kid, I'd rather see a certain special someone to become his assistant... but I admit it's still a stretch as long as we don't know what Maya's relation to this country is.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Apollon Flame

Quote:
True, though I think it's heavily suggested that in this country they hate defense attorneys with a passion. It might be one reason why Nick was so hesitant about revealing that he was one at first, but then Bokuto got into this mess and had to step in. And then I suspect Payne revels in revealing his identity because he would.

Can't remember if they felt "hate" towards the defense attorneys, but they most certainly turned "irrelevant" with the whole summoning the victim's spirit concept when holding a trial.

Quote:

Yeah, but wasn't Mia with him there?

Quote:
As much as I have come to love this kid, I'd rather see a certain special someone to become his assistant... but I admit it's still a stretch as long as we don't know what Maya's relation to this country is.

I'm thinking we'll get to see Maya much later in the game. Like case two or after case two.
A King

in name

alone...

Scent wrote:
Can't remember if they felt "hate" towards the defense attorneys, but they most certainly turned "irrelevant" with the whole summoning the victim's spirit concept when holding a trial.

Eshiro and Yamazaki explained it during the TGS stage. They specifically stated that everyone in this country has come to "hate" on them, but of course we don't know yet why.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, but wasn't Mia with him there?

She didn't appear until the end, so he was still alone for a good deal of the trial and all of the first day.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm thinking we'll get to see Maya much later in the game. Like case two or after case two.

Case two would be with Apollo & co., so I doubt it. And I'm sure that's case two since it introduces the investigation segments.

Case 3 might return to Kurain, so maybe around then. Or case 4. My bet's are on case 5 if they have it. Her reappearance could play a huge role regarding the history of both Kurains... if they go for it.

But if Bokuto does become an assistant for a case, that'd be sweet. He'd be perfect for the role.

Apollon Flame

Quote:
Eshiro and Yamazaki explained it during the TGS stage. They specifically stated that everyone in this country has come to "hate" on them, but of course we don't know yet why.

Ah. I see, I see.

Quote:
She didn't appear until the end, so he was still alone for a good deal of the trial and all of the first day.

Good point.

Quote:
Case two would be with Apollo & co., so I doubt it. And I'm sure that's case two since it introduces the investigation segments.

You're right.

Quote:
Case 3 might return to Kurain, so maybe around then. Or case 4. My bet's are on case 5 if they have it. Her reappearance could play a huge role regarding the history of both Kurains... if they go for it.

I'm thinking they're gonna be dramatic about it and leave Maya's involvement towards the end of the game. Who knows, if the prosecutor is actually the spirit of a prosecutor being channeled, then maybe Maya's the medium channeling the prosecutor...?
A King

in name

alone...

Mia Payne

I still can't believe we haven't gotten the English trailer yet.

When did we get the English DD trailer?

Apollon Flame

Blizdi wrote:

I found an English trailer published on the 31st of May of 2013. I think the game was released on October of the same year.
A King

in name

alone...

Mia Payne

Scent wrote:
Blizdi wrote:

I found an English trailer published on the 31st of May of 2013. I think the game was released on October of the same year.

Well, wasn't Dual Destinies NOT originally decided to be localized, until Sven convinced them with raised sales expectations, so it started later, where as AA6 was planned from the very beginning?

Apollon Flame

Blizdi wrote:
Scent wrote:
Blizdi wrote:

Well, wasn't Dual Destinies NOT originally decided to be localized, until Sven convinced them with raised sales expectations, so it started later, where as AA6 was planned from the very beginning?

Can't say. Dual Destinies was released on July 25th in Japan, and October 24th over here in NA. A difference of almost three months. Capcom was concerned about costs with releasing DD, so they only released it as a downloadable title.
A King

in name

alone...

Apollon Flame

Blizdi wrote:
Scent wrote:
Blizdi wrote:

Can't say. Dual Destinies was released on July 25th in Japan, and October 24th over here in NA. A difference of almost three months. Capcom was concerned about costs with releasing DD, so they only released it as a downloadable title.
A King

in name

alone...

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Expect some english footage from the game around this year's E3 at least.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Apollon Flame

linkenski wrote:

Sounds splendid! :D Hopefully they release a DEMO, too!! Like they did with DD. :]
A King

in name

alone...

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Scent wrote:

*COUGH*-Shi-Long-Lang-and-his-country-hates-prosecutors-2.0-*COUGH*

Scent wrote:
linkenski wrote:

Sounds splendid! :D Hopefully they release a DEMO, too!! Like they did with DD. :]

Everything in the marketing so far has been exactly like DD with the web-demo and gradual character reveals and all. You bet they will :)

Apollon Flame

linkenski wrote:
Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Scent wrote:

*COUGH*-Shi-Long-Lang-and-his-country-hates-prosecutors-2.0-*COUGH*

Scent wrote:
linkenski wrote:

Everything in the marketing so far has been exactly like DD with the web-demo and gradual character reveals and all. You bet they will :)

Good. I'm EAGER to give the DEMO a try! I remember playing through GK's: a window with the DEMO and another window with translations xDD
A King

in name

alone...

You've been hit by, a smooth prosecutor

Just tried the demo. Needless to say I couldn't figure anything out. :-P

I felt the demo was very by-the-numbers. It even had the same thing about breaking the fourth wall at the end just like DD's demo.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

^Not quite. DD broke the fourth wall twice (In the Japanese version), at the end and when the Judge mentions that they were in a demo. AA6 only does it once.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)